Mr Iwata - should he stay or should he go?

Would you fire him?

• Total voters

nerdman

pig's gotta fly
I know he is CEO and all, but I don't really know how much sway he has. Is he the dude stopping voice chat in Splatoon? If so, get him the fuck out of there.

Or is that shit beyond his control? I don't know.

I loved the DS and wiimote. The gamepad and glasses-less 3D? Not so much. There's a lot shit going down at Nintendo right now, and I want to see more of it. Until then, I'm pretty impartial if he goes or stays.

He seems like a cool guy.

Last edited:

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I'm interested in all the stuff Nintendo is doing right now, especially with the QOL stuff, so i want him to stick around.

Koenig

The Architect
My main question is: Is he the one responsible for the past 6 years of marketing failures? If not, is he even aware of how poor what little advertisements they have is? He is a capable man, but unless he can sort this out I would say it is time for a new CEO

Aki

To me, Mr. Iwata doesn't come off as a guy who has much control over what's going on at Nintendo. I believe that the majority of the decisions are made by the board and not by him personally. I'm sure that he has some input, but at the end of the day, I believe that the board makes the decisions.

He seems like a great person and a very nice, family man. However, I don't like him as a business leader. He seems very weak and not in control. Also, some of the things that he's said in the past few days have really rubbed me the wrong way, especially what he said in regards to Wii U being a second console, Nintendo needing to enter the mobile market, and announcing NX due to people thinking Nintendo is out of the home console business. These were all things that the public knew for quite some time, yet it took him this long to "realize" it.

With that being said, I'd fire him. He's misread the market too many times. Sure, the Wii was massively successful. There's no down playing that. However, he did misread the market in regards to the amount of people who had HD TVs or who would be upgrading. He also misread the market thinking that traditional controllers would be phased out by the Wii Mote. Same thing with the launch of the 3DS. He misread the market once again and over estimated the amount people were willing to pay for the console. Finally, he failed massively with the Wii U.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
I briefly just mentioned this in the NX system thread, but until I see what they have in store with the Mobile games, the membership service, QOL, and of course the NX, I want him to stay and see how it plays out.

Ex-Actarus

As I said in other thread, let's wait and see what NX is about.

I was one of the most vocal advocate for Iwata being fired ( with @Majorbuddah ). However, Iwata made the revolution I would have NEVER expected him to do : bringing Nintendo into the mobile business. And he did it BIG TIME ! So I'm inclined to believe that Iwata has "CHANGED"... But I need to see the NX to have a confirmation.

But folks ! Make no mistake about it : going into the mobile business is going to bring even more money that the Wii and the DS did. Mark my words... :)

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
As I said in other thread, let's wait and see what NX is about.

I was one of the most vocal advocate for Iwata being fired ( with @Majorbuddah ). However, Iwata made the revolution I would have NEVER expected him to do : bringing Nintendo into the mobile business. And he did it BIG TIME ! So I'm inclined to believe that Iwata has "CHANGED"... But I need to see the NX to have a confirmation.

But folks ! Make no mistake about it : going into the mobile business is going to bring even more money that the Wii and the DS did. Mark my words... :)
A better CEO would have done this 5 years ago. Everyone seems to be congratulating this guy for his mistake.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
No one's indispensable. He could stay or go, but Nintendo has a deep streak of institutional conservatism, like other Japanese companies that have been around for centuries (you won't change their development ethos and company culture by replacing one guy; you'd have to fire the entire R&D division for that and ditch senior game designers, to boot). The Wii, DS and 3DS have all done well, the Wii U hasn't. 3 for 4. Making a move on mobile now, and cashed in with Amiibo.

I'd leave him through NX and then reevaluate his batting average, as well as the industry itself.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I'm cool with Iwata. Be brought me new things in my bordom with Wii and DS, and I have loved my WiiU and 3DS.

He's straight with me let him work and let's see what comes out NX

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
Who cares?

I don't hold fiscal or emotional stock in Nintendo. I just wanna play Mario Kart.

But from a business perspective, I think Iwata has let Nintendo sink for way too long.

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
He's made his fair share of mistakes, but the guy is smart. He's part of the reason Nintendo reached heights in the 7th gen I doubt many people thought possible and I believe he will bring Nintendo out of it's current slump to even greater heights than before.

He also seems like a great person, taking pay cuts instead of laying off people is something more CEO's should do.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
He's made his fair share of mistakes, but the guy is smart. He's part of the reason Nintendo reached heights in the 7th gen I doubt many people thought possible and I believe he will bring Nintendo out of it's current slump to even greater heights than before.

He also seems like a great person, taking pay cuts instead of laying off people is something more CEO's should do.
I guarantee his pay cut didn't save more than a handful of employees. A handful of workers can't be considered "lay-offs" in any significant fashion.

His god-tier failure with Wii U has probably LOST a lot of people their jobs, though.

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
I guarantee his pay cut didn't save more than a handful of employees. A handful of workers can't be considered "lay-offs" in any significant fashion.

His god-tier failure with Wii U has probably LOST a lot of people their jobs, though.
I'm not saying his pay cut "saved" jobs, overall the board mamber pay cuts probably save them about $3-$4 million a year. Still it (taking a pay cut and not laying off staff) is something he and the leadership does anyway. In case you don't remember, he refuses to lay off staff (unless you live in Europe apparently). In fact throughout this entire thing the amount of people who work for Nintendo has just gone up.

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
Choose one

Either you're considering his pay cut (which was due to failure, btw) an employee benefit, or you're not. You can't have this both ways.
Let me explain better, in my OP the word "instead" was misused. I don't think Iwata is specifically taking a pay cut in order to avoid laying off staff, after all that's small money for a company the size of Nintendo. I do think that the cutting his pay sends a nice statement, that he is committed to getting Nintendo back on it's feet. Combine that with his refusal to lay off staff and I think it shows he is a great, dedicated, thoughtful CEO.

Most CEO's I've seen would instead rise their pay and lay off staff (once again, not that those two things are related beyond being signs of character).

I think Iwata should should get cut and introduce the next system by deadlifting it spandex underwear. Then finish off by lifting the system over his head and yelling the system's name at the top of his lungs.

Everyone wins this way. Iwata gets fired for, albeit for public indecency (crowd goes wild while bouncers drag him off stage), but we still get his brainchild and another awesome E3.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
I think Iwata should should get cut and introduce the next system by deadlifting it spandex underwear. Then finish off by lifting the system over his head and yelling the system's name at the top of his lungs.

Everyone wins this way. Iwata gets fired for, albeit for public indecency (crowd goes wild while bouncers drag him off stage), but we still get his brainchild and another awesome E3.

Sent from my VS985 4G using genital warts
Well, Nintendo IS an entertainment company.

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

If you like money , getting your dividends on Time and in general, running a fucking tight ship, then you'd best like Iwata. Thats why he's kept his job despite Nintendo's infamous cycles of booms and busts this past generation or two.. And thats just as a shateholder, having Iwata running your company as a game developer is a fucking godsend. Nintendo's only lost money for 2 years in the 37 years they've been in the gaming industry. And thats due to expenses

Iwata is Nintendo's Franklin D. Roosevelt..

Holy shit that's the most apt analogy, if you consider Yamauchi to be Teddy Roosevelt LOL

Also he made me a shit ton of money so Im cool with him. @Majorbuddah

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
If you like money , getting your dividends on Time and in general, running a fucking tight ship, then you'd best like Iwata. Thats why he's kept his job despite Nintendo's infamous cycles of booms and busts this past generation or two.. And thats just as a shateholder, having Iwata running your company as a game developer is a fucking godsend. Nintendo's only lost money for 2 years in the 37 years they've been in the gaming industry. And thats due to expenses

Iwata is Nintendo's Franklin D. Roosevelt..

Holy shit that's the most apt analogy, if you consider Yamauchi to be Teddy Roosevelt LOL

Also he made me a shit ton of money so Im cool with him. @Majorbuddah
He runs the tightest sinking ship.

Remember the last time nintendo's console division had a good year?

Neither do I.

hogge

As a CEO he's probably great.

However, his choices as to what should be greenlit is completely unforgivable. I believe that that's the main reason the Wii U failed: nearly no exclusives apart sidescroller and minigame compilations for the first year on the market!