Multi-Platform Community Thread

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
I really liked the original Batman Arkhan game, the first one of the franchise. I haven't played the others. What do you guys think? Are all the games of the franchise worth it? Or the others are just the same?
I truly enjoyed the Arkham games. They added different mechanics in each game, and I enjoyed the stories. There's a lot to explore and find in each of the worlds. Of course, I could be in the minority, but I had an awesome time playing them. I was fully engrossed.

Odo

I truly enjoyed the Arkham games. They added different mechanics in each game, and I enjoyed the stories. There's a lot to explore and find in each of the worlds. Of course, I could be in the minority, but I had an awesome time playing them. I was fully engrossed.
Thanks, I gonna try the second one, then.

Odo

I'm play Watch Dogs on Wii U :p

And guess what, I'm ... enjoying it...

Anyway, I'm having fun dealing with convos and the missions. I've played it for 12 hours so far and I intend to beat it. I don't know how inferior it is comparing to GTAV (I've never played it and people adore it), but I'm having fun nonetheless.

Odo

I've got 30h of playtime in Watch Dogs. I'm having a lot of fun. It's starting to get a bit repetitive now, but I'm still following the story, the challenges are fun. It gets even better after some skills. Blackout is brilliant :D

Aki

honest question, do you guys feel like xbox is being phased out? i'm asking this because i was browsing the xbox boards on gamefaqs and saw a really good argument in favor of pc > xbox.

i've always been an xbox homer, but with virtually all of their first party games on pc aside from the majority of the mainline halo games, what else is left? that's the question that i've been asking myself as of late and these are just some of the thoughts on it...

steam has a big picture mode that can be controlled with a controller and steam fully supports xbox 360 and xbox one pads. the problem lies in the fact that big picture mode isn't as robust as a console ui, not all pc games (mass effect trilogy being the most prominent) support gamepads and even some that do (BF4), don't support them 100%. it feels like you have to have a keyboard and mouse nearby. steam also has achievements and is a more refined online infrastructure w/ a better, richer marketplace. so unless you really care about your xbox achievements and still have a lot of friends invested in the console, it's hard to ignore all of the pros in favor of steam. yes, there are hiccups as i've mentioned, but it's becoming harder and harder for an xbox gamer like myself to ignore switching to pc. a lot of games that i associate with the xbox brand are pc games truth be told. like kotor and mass effect while debuting on xbox, i still consider to be pc games because they're just better on pc and feel more optimized for it.

Aki

xbox scorpio is being revealed this thursday @ 6 AM PST. microsoft is so confident that they're letting digital foundry reveal the tech specs through eurogamer. just to be clear, there will NOT be a hardware reveal, just tech specs.

source

Odo

honest question, do you guys feel like xbox is being phased out? i'm asking this because i was browsing the xbox boards on gamefaqs and saw a really good argument in favor of pc > xbox.

i've always been an xbox homer, but with virtually all of their first party games on pc aside from the majority of the mainline halo games, what else is left? that's the question that i've been asking myself as of late and these are just some of the thoughts on it...

steam has a big picture mode that can be controlled with a controller and steam fully supports xbox 360 and xbox one pads. the problem lies in the fact that big picture mode isn't as robust as a console ui, not all pc games (mass effect trilogy being the most prominent) support gamepads and even some that do (BF4), don't support them 100%. it feels like you have to have a keyboard and mouse nearby. steam also has achievements and is a more refined online infrastructure w/ a better, richer marketplace. so unless you really care about your xbox achievements and still have a lot of friends invested in the console, it's hard to ignore all of the pros in favor of steam. yes, there are hiccups as i've mentioned, but it's becoming harder and harder for an xbox gamer like myself to ignore switching to pc. a lot of games that i associate with the xbox brand are pc games truth be told. like kotor and mass effect while debuting on xbox, i still consider to be pc games because they're just better on pc and feel more optimized for it.
If you love consoles, you just stick to it in my opinion. If I were into Xbox library, I'd never change to PC, because I don't like PC for my main games. In case Xbox fails (if I were an xbox user), I'd stick to PS. I don't think that xbox users would leave it just because Microsoft is releasing their games for PC, but yes, those who say that it makes Xbox weaker have a point. However I'm not sure about that, because as far as I know, Microsoft isn't releasing games for "PC", they're releasing games for "Windows", so Microsoft doesn't care if you buy their games on Xbox or on Windows 10, whatever your choice, they're winning.

I see this as Microsoft trying to deliver their content for whatever device you want and somehow that might be the future of gaming. With streaming, digital content and cloud computing, we may face a world where games are on the cloud and you don't need to buy piece of hardware to play them. Perhaps the traditional console will still live, but a significant part of the market may change to the cloud computing and I think Microsoft is already testing the waters. They're very enthusiastic about cloud computing and releases for Xbox/Windows. If Microsoft starts making profit with their content by selling it on multiple platforms (Windows/Cloud (future)/Xbox), someday Microsoft may not need to worry about making profit with Xbox itself. They'll keep selling Xbox for those who want to play on it, but the true source of incoming will be, in fact, their content. They can live with that.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!

Xbox can get on, I'll never buy another one in my life ever so yeah.

Aki

well, tech specs just got revealed. scorpio is big time. i'm so gonna get one day one. sounds like microsoft is spot on w/ this one. even rich over at digital foundry couldn't keep it together.

Odo

well, tech specs just got revealed. scorpio is big time. i'm so gonna get one day one. sounds like microsoft is spot on w/ this one. even rich over at digital foundry couldn't keep it together.
I don't know, I don't know. That specs is something else, but I'm still not convinced. It might kick off the next gen, though, and that'd be brilliant.

Or it can fail miserably against PS4 Pro in case developers just release the same content for scorpio with a little charge in graphics.

I need to see the content first..

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
lol. Share your experience, pls. What happend?
Well many people already know but yeah I'll go over it again.

First 360 red ring
Second was awesome and a great console.

Bought my son an X1 for Christmas 2 years ago. After maybe 2 hours of playtime on it the CPU went out and the screen was snowing.

So here we go.

Sent that one in.
Got it back and it wouldn't even come on.

Sent it back. The next one wouldnt come on yes it happened twice.

Sent that one back after a large fight and they sent me a new one. I had it sold before it got back to the house.

Never again

Goodtwin

I'm not sure what to think of Scorpio so far. Is this Microsoft starting a new generation or an updated Xbox One? The specs are pretty good. I say pretty good because its still using the Jaguar CPU, albeit clock higher. The GPU is about 5X the Xbox One, but only marginally better than what is in the PS4 Pro, and the Pro was certainly not Sony starting a new generation. Its kind of like Microsoft is delivering the console many people were expecting back in 2013. 1080p 60fps should be pretty much a lock with this console. 4K will be there, but even Microsoft mentioned that the goal was Xbox One level graphics but in 4K. If you have little interest in buying a big 4K tv, I'm not sure how pronounced the upgrade will be, especially compared to the base PS4 where most games already render 1080p native, and typically a better framerate than Xbox One.

I think Microsoft should market this as the first next generation console, and try to be perceived as the future. The kicker here is that they need to release a new Halo and Gears of War exclusively for Scorpio for the distinction to be made. Otherwise its just a premium Xbox One. Your hardcore Xbox fans and tech enthusiast will probably jump on board early, but I'm not sure the ceiling is very high for a more expensive Xbox One.

Its kind of in no mans land. We know most consumers choose the less expensive consoles when given the choice. If a consumer just wants to play COD and Madden, they are choosing a base PS4 5 to 1 compared to the Pro. With PS4 dominating the market, third party developers will not change their target spec, meaning that games will still be targeting the base PS4 for a quite some time. Regardless, I'm not sure Microsoft is in a great place. The improvements over the market leaders premium Pro model will be less pronounced than the base PS4 compared to Xbox One.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I'm not sure what to think of Scorpio so far. Is this Microsoft starting a new generation or an updated Xbox One? The specs are pretty good. I say pretty good because its still using the Jaguar CPU, albeit clock higher. The GPU is about 5X the Xbox One, but only marginally better than what is in the PS4 Pro, and the Pro was certainly not Sony starting a new generation. Its kind of like Microsoft is delivering the console many people were expecting back in 2013. 1080p 60fps should be pretty much a lock with this console. 4K will be there, but even Microsoft mentioned that the goal was Xbox One level graphics but in 4K. If you have little interest in buying a big 4K tv, I'm not sure how pronounced the upgrade will be, especially compared to the base PS4 where most games already render 1080p native, and typically a better framerate than Xbox One.

I think Microsoft should market this as the first next generation console, and try to be perceived as the future. The kicker here is that they need to release a new Halo and Gears of War exclusively for Scorpio for the distinction to be made. Otherwise its just a premium Xbox One. Your hardcore Xbox fans and tech enthusiast will probably jump on board early, but I'm not sure the ceiling is very high for a more expensive Xbox One.

Its kind of in no mans land. We know most consumers choose the less expensive consoles when given the choice. If a consumer just wants to play COD and Madden, they are choosing a base PS4 5 to 1 compared to the Pro. With PS4 dominating the market, third party developers will not change their target spec, meaning that games will still be targeting the base PS4 for a quite some time. Regardless, I'm not sure Microsoft is in a great place. The improvements over the market leaders premium Pro model will be less pronounced than the base PS4 compared to Xbox One.
Couldn't have summed up my thoughts better. For y'all who know stuff about things what's a realistic precived price here?

Goodtwin

Couldn't have summed up my thoughts better. For y'all who know stuff about things what's a realistic precived price here?
$399 to $499

After watching DF's video, I am thinking $499 is likely. They are balancing the motherboard to the processor. This means increasing the labor needed on every console created.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.

No man's land is about right, imo. There are three paths.

1) They've (apparently) got about 30 million XBone customers, and if they insist that everything has to be playable on the Bone, too, that means the Scorpio will only ever be an enthusiast's device for slightly shinier visual fidelity. If that's what they're aiming for (don't underestimate the desire to be seen as cutting edge), it's easily achievable.

2) They could drop XBone like a bad habit and say "we're the first next-gen console," which means selling a $500-ish device and trying to control marketshare with it so that developers abandon not just the PS4 as their development target, but all gen 8 devices entirely (One, PS4, PS4 Pro, Switch). Maybe they could actually pull that off, but I'm highly skeptical of it.

3) Follow the blueprint of early gen 8 with a few years of cross compatibility, which means generations are effectively over. There will never be a clean break again. They launch first, try to get a foothold for gen 9, make the PS4 Pro irrelevant, and stake their flag that they'll be the console to have around 2020.

I would think option 3 is what they're aiming for. And with modern game engines and scalable software, that seems to be the way the winds are blowing.

Goodtwin

One of the issues I see with not having a hard reset is that it gets tougher to understand what the Xbox userbase actually looks like. Scorpio will most certainly sell to a lot of Xbox One owners, so this means the Xbox marketshare isn't actually increasing. Currently there is about 30 million Xbox One users, probably less because as stupid as it sounds, some Xbox One users upgraded to an Xbox S, and will purchase a Scorpio. Anyway, so lets say early sales are strong for Scorpio and it sells 10 million units pretty quickly. Has Microsoft increased market share? Probably not, your really just selling another model to your more passionate Xbox fans.

A hard reset means putting all your eggs into one basket. This means exclusive software releasing on your new hardware. I'm not sure that is what we are seeing here. I just know that the PS4 Pro gets outsold by the base PS4 by a very large margin, so I am not convinced people will be lining up to buy a very expensive Xbox One.Five. Exclusive Halo and Gears of War change that, but that doesn't seem to be the vibe I am getting from Digital Foundries video. A continuation of the Xbox One at a higher price with little separate it from Sony or even Microsofts own cheaper models could be a tough sell. Don't get me wrong, its going to sell a few million really quick. Long term? I don't know, I think the consumer will choose the cheaper model that plays the same games four out of five times.

Last edited:

Aki

i'm expecting $499. anything more would be overkill and anything less would be suicide on their bottom line. scorpio looks like it's quality, but it's microsoft so idk. also, i've heard of many ppl having issues similar to yours w/ their xbox ones and the service. luckily for me, my og model and h5 model all worked fine while i had them and my gears one s is working flawlessly.

Aki

One of the issues I see with not having a hard reset is that it gets tougher to understand what the Xbox userbase actually looks like. Scorpio will most certainly sell to a lot of Xbox One owners, so this means the Xbox marketshare isn't actually increasing. Currently there is about 30 million Xbox One users, probably less because as stupid as it sounds, some Xbox One users upgraded to an Xbox S, and will not purchase a Scorpio. Anyway, so lets say early sales are strong for Scorpio and it sells 10 million units pretty quickly. Has Microsoft increased market share? Probably not, your really just selling another model to your more passionate Xbox fans.

A hard reset means putting all your eggs into one basket. This means exclusive software releasing on your new hardware. I'm not sure that is what we are seeing here. I just know that the PS4 Pro gets outsold by the base PS4 by a very large margin, so I am not convinced people will be lining up to buy a very expensive Xbox One.Five. Exclusive Halo and Gears of War change that, but that doesn't seem to be the vibe I am getting from Digital Foundries video. A continuation of the Xbox One at a higher price with little separate it from Sony or even Microsofts own cheaper models could be a tough sell. Don't get me wrong, its going to sell a few million really quick. Long term? I don't know, I think the consumer will choose the cheaper model that plays the same games four out of five times.
honestly, i don't know if microsoft is aiming for immediate marketshare w/ the scorpio. for right now, i think they want to build momentum for the xbox brand by releasing a powerful console for enthusiasts that will get them some positive press with the goal of trying to push the sub $300 one s to the masses. if they're lucky, they'll have a firm foothold on the next-gen as well.

from my understanding, scorpio is a brand new console that will 100% emulate all xbox one and bc 360 games through software emulation while supporting all xbox one accessories as well. i think they also said something along the lines of scorpio only getting exclusives if it manages to take off.

Odo

Well many people already know but yeah I'll go over it again.

First 360 red ring
Second was awesome and a great console.

Bought my son an X1 for Christmas 2 years ago. After maybe 2 hours of playtime on it the CPU went out and the screen was snowing.

So here we go.

Sent that one in.
Got it back and it wouldn't even come on.

Sent it back. The next one wouldnt come on yes it happened twice.

Sent that one back after a large fight and they sent me a new one. I had it sold before it got back to the house.

Never again
I didn't know.. sorry to hear. I've got two friends who love their xbo. They love the free games. I've never had any experience with xbox.

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
Steve2 had a Red Ring with his 360, and when he got his new one he sold it for a PS3.

My friend Greg had a 360 with a Red Ring, second one was fine. Then his first Xbone had issues. 2nd one is fine.

Goodtwin

With the cost of developing software requiring millions of units sold, it seems nearly impossible for a clean break from the software perspective going forward. 360 and PS3 were on the market for 8 years before the successors came out, and there was still two years of cross platform games from developers. Even if Scorpio is marketed as a next gen console, there is no way Ubisoft, EA, and Activision will target it as their primary platform. They cant afford to. The userbase of the PS4 makes it the target platform, and until Sony announces the PS5, a new generation wont really start. Even then it will take a year or two to build up enough of a userbase to completely move on from the PS4. Generations are going to have a 2-3 year of crossover going forward.

Scorpio is in a bad place because of this truth. Its going to be a premium product that essentially plays the same games that cheaper models do, but with higher resolution and framerates. This is a tough sell to you average consumer. They will certainly sell a few million units to the early adopters of Xbox One that were always wanting a better performing console, but attracting brand new consumers to your Xbox brand will be tough with a $199-249 PS4 sitting there. Success breeds success. If all your buddies have a PS4, are you really going to buy an Xbox just because it is more powerful? Not if you want to play online with you buddies. I expect 75% or more Scorpio units to be sold to existing Xbox One users. This isn't changing Microsoft market share, and developers will see this reflected with a lack or software sales growth within the Xbox userbase.

Aki

With the cost of developing software requiring millions of units sold, it seems nearly impossible for a clean break from the software perspective going forward. 360 and PS3 were on the market for 8 years before the successors came out, and there was still two years of cross platform games from developers. Even if Scorpio is marketed as a next gen console, there is no way Ubisoft, EA, and Activision will target it as their primary platform. They cant afford to. The userbase of the PS4 makes it the target platform, and until Sony announces the PS5, a new generation wont really start. Even then it will take a year or two to build up enough of a userbase to completely move on from the PS4. Generations are going to have a 2-3 year of crossover going forward.

Scorpio is in a bad place because of this truth. Its going to be a premium product that essentially plays the same games that cheaper models do, but with higher resolution and framerates. This is a tough sell to you average consumer. They will certainly sell a few million units to the early adopters of Xbox One that were always wanting a better performing console, but attracting brand new consumers to your Xbox brand will be tough with a $199-249 PS4 sitting there. Success breeds success. If all your buddies have a PS4, are you really going to buy an Xbox just because it is more powerful? Not if you want to play online with you buddies. I expect 75% or more Scorpio units to be sold to existing Xbox One users. This isn't changing Microsoft market share, and developers will see this reflected with a lack or software sales growth within the Xbox userbase.
agreed. ps4 is still going to be the lead platform for most games unless xbox surpasses it. the scorpio is a product for enthusiasts, it's not meant for the masses. phil, head of xbox, has stated this multiple times. the one s is for your average gamer and yes, the market for scorpio will most likely be even smaller than it was for ps4 pro, which isn't selling too hot. however, neither of these two consoles were released to replace the base models. they were released to capture console gamers who eventually switch to pc because the hardware isn't updated enough and pc gamers who switch to consoles because they can't afford to upgrade at the moment. i do think that eventually scorpio will become the base model though. microsoft has sort of blurred gens by making everything that's playable on xbox one, bc games included, fully forward compatible and they're releasing all of their exclusives on both xbox and on pc through their store. they're essentially in uncharted territory when it comes to the console market which is why i don't think they want to get into too many details about what scorpio actually is. i do think that sony is gonna stick with gens like they've been doing where as microsoft will probably release a new xbox every 3 years or so. think of it like upgrading your pc, but instead it's an xbox.

Karkashan

Married to Chrom

I am enjoying this "PC Gaming" thing. Windows Store is kinda slow, and poorly designed, and doesn't make much sense - but at least I can play KI at 1080p and it's actually better than the Xbox One's interface.

praisegrima

Odo

EA Expects Digital to Account for Almost Half of Game Sales Soon
http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2017...to_account_for_almost_half_of_game_sales_soon
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...game-sales-to-be-40-percent-digital-this-year

33% of EA's sale has come from digital downloads and they expect it to rise to almost 40% next fiscal year.

Last year's digital sales were 9% lower than that.

I'll keep my bet that the next generation will be the last physical generation. The industry will be digital before 2025 (maybe sooner). It doesn't mean that they're gonna kill the disc driver or cartridges, but that physical copies will finally gross significantly less than digital purchases. Physical copies soon will be a product for collectors.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
EA Expects Digital to Account for Almost Half of Game Sales Soon
http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2017...to_account_for_almost_half_of_game_sales_soon
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...game-sales-to-be-40-percent-digital-this-year

33% of EA's sale has come from digital downloads and they expect it to rise to almost 40% next fiscal year.

Last year's digital sales were 9% lower than that.

I'll keep my bet that the next generation will be the last physical generation. The industry will be digital before 2025 (maybe sooner). It doesn't mean that they're gonna kill the disc driver or cartridges, but that physical copies will finally gross significantly less than digital purchases. Physical copies soon will be a product for collectors.
While I do agree that digital is the way of the future, I still cannot help but think that like the vinyl resurgence for music, eventually video games will once again thrive on physical-based media.

I am also wondering if Nintendo will continue with cartridges for many years to come, and believe it or not might be the case for people wanting to stick with physical media. Then again, unlike vinyl records which do truly sound better than anything digital, the same cannot be said for video games, so really the only real big reason to stick with physical is both nostalgia, and feeling as though you "own" the game (which is still up for debate).

I don't know though. I'm torn of how I feel about it. On the one hand, the convenience of switching (ha! get it?) games without having to load another one in is quite nice, but what are the long-term goals for digital distribution, and archiving/storing? On a theoretical scale, digital never fades, nor could really be destroyed unlike physical, but on the other hand, is there going to be a guarantee that in 10-20 years time, those games we stored on our consoles will still work? I can still buy an old NES with a slew of classic games, and still play them without issue (providing the cartridge batteries are still good). But with a system like the PS3. Is sony willing to continue to support it for years or perhaps decades to come, so those who have accounts can always redownload their games, or at least have access?

I have a sneaking suspicion that companies don't know what holds in the long-term, but whatever the case may be, they'll find a way to charge us more for it. Nintendo has clearly found this market of nickel and diming us for Virtual Console games over the years, but at some point, something is going to change. I just don't know what or when.

Maybe, for the benefit of all of us, we should seriously start thinking about hoarding our physical games, and hugging them everyday. I was playing some NFS: Hot Pursuit 2 on PS2 last night, and I realized that at any time, I can simply pop the game in, and it'll work. Also that my PS2 still works, which is nice.

I think it would be cool if consoles allowed you to copy the game onto a disc/cartridge that can be bought by the company, and it makes a physical copy. Now, to get around the piracy issue, maybe they lock the disc to that one particular system, but that would present other issues probably.

Like I said, the future of video games I think is going to get dicey.

Odo

While I do agree that digital is the way of the future, I still cannot help but think that like the vinyl resurgence for music, eventually video games will once again thrive on physical-based media.
Yes. I think once the masses go to the digital fence, physical copies will become more premium, like collector's edition. Game enthusiasts will keep buying them while others will buy physical copies of their beloved franchises.

I am also wondering if Nintendo will continue with cartridges for many years to come, and believe it or not might be the case for people wanting to stick with physical media. Then again, unlike vinyl records which do truly sound better than anything digital, the same cannot be said for video games, so really the only real big reason to stick with physical is both nostalgia, and feeling as though you "own" the game (which is still up for debate).
For me, the main downside is the fact that you can't resell them. The ownership is an issue for many and I understand that, since usually digital copies vanish when your console dies. For me it's not an issue, though, I seldom play old stuff and usually the best retro games are available digitally everywhere for a few pennies. I don't bother paying $7 for FFIX again on PS4. Resell is the main issue for me, because I used to resell a lot of games.

I don't know though. I'm torn of how I feel about it. On the one hand, the convenience of switching (ha! get it?) games without having to load another one in is quite nice, but what are the long-term goals for digital distribution, and archiving/storing? On a theoretical scale, digital never fades, nor could really be destroyed unlike physical, but on the other hand, is there going to be a guarantee that in 10-20 years time, those games we stored on our consoles will still work? I can still buy an old NES with a slew of classic games, and still play them without issue (providing the cartridge batteries are still good). But with a system like the PS3. Is sony willing to continue to support it for years or perhaps decades to come, so those who have accounts can always redownload their games, or at least have access?

I have a sneaking suspicion that companies don't know what holds in the long-term, but whatever the case may be, they'll find a way to charge us more for it. Nintendo has clearly found this market of nickel and diming us for Virtual Console games over the years, but at some point, something is going to change. I just don't know what or when.
I think they don't care. They will keeping asking us to purchase the game again every generation until the consumers and media starts to campaign against it, maybe.

I think it would be cool if consoles allowed you to copy the game onto a disc/cartridge that can be bought by the company, and it makes a physical copy. Now, to get around the piracy issue, maybe they lock the disc to that one particular system, but that would present other issues probably.
That'd be wonderful.

When I buy music from Apple, I just download the mp4 and keep it safe. They're mine. Perhaps they're not officially mine, but if Apple Music dies, I have my mp4s under my control.

GaemzDood

So in addition to Nintendo, Microsoft is also sitting on top of franchises, albeit nowhere near as much.

- Amped
- Brute Force
- Crimson Skies
- Conker
- Deathrow
- Perfect Dark
- Project Gotham Racing
- Quantum Redshift
- RalliSport Challenge

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Odo

I might be wrong, but I think some franchises and brands have an expiration date.

I see some F-Zero and Half-Life excitement, but I believe that some franchises must die to let others be born. After some years a new title in a franchise is usually just a new game using the same brand.

In my opinion most Nintendo franchises from NES and SNES are useless now. The same for those SEGA franchises people are talking about now.

GaemzDood

@GaemzDood do you have any thoughts on The Surge graphics? It looks great.
It's one of the most beautifully optimized games of this generation. The game is locked at 30 FPS with low input lag on the regular consoles, and they did this by offloading the particle system to the GPU and overhauling their rendering pipeline to a clustered deferred renderer, alleviating their performance sapping dual G-buffer system in Lords of the Fallen while allowing for more dynamic lights. Additionally, the Pro mode is quite possibly the best one ever. The 1080p mode locks the game to 60 FPS, and I mean locks. Not the trash you saw with Final Fantasy XV or Dark Souls III, and it doesn't scale below 1080p (which is unacceptable on the Pro as is) like Ni-Oh.

Odo

It's one of the most beautifully optimized games of this generation. The game is locked at 30 FPS with low input lag on the regular consoles, and they did this by offloading the particle system to the GPU and overhauling their rendering pipeline to a clustered deferred renderer, alleviating their performance sapping dual G-buffer system in Lords of the Fallen while allowing for more dynamic lights. Additionally, the Pro mode is quite possibly the best one ever. The 1080p mode locks the game to 60 FPS, and I mean locks. Not the trash you saw with Final Fantasy XV or Dark Souls III, and it doesn't scale below 1080p (which is unacceptable on the Pro as is) like Ni-Oh.
Visually speaking, I'm impressed. Those shadows and light particles are stunning.

Odo

I don't get why devs have so much trouble with 60fps.

Why can't Destiny 2 be 60fps on PS4 Pro? I know they have an answer for that (too many physics ....) and I know we're living in this age of 4k where many devs have to choose between resolution and 60fps, but it's still kinda bonkers in my opinion as a person who aren't expert in this area. I see this quest for 60fps since PS3 days and we still don't have all games in 60fps as a basic feature. Every big game release and the 60fps turns into a discussion.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018

Why can't Destiny 2 be 60fps on PS4 Pro? I know they have an answer for that (too many physics ....) and I know we're living in this age of 4k where many devs have to choose between resolution and 60fps, but it's still kinda bonkers in my opinion as a person who aren't expert in this area. I see this quest for 60fps since PS3 days and we still don't have all games in 60fps as a basic feature. Every big game release and the 60fps turns into a discussion.
60 FPS is an issue because given a choice between a better frame-rate and better graphics, better graphics win 99 times out of a 100. It's far easier to market and more easily noticeable by the casual audience. Not to mention, games are only getting more and more complex and current-gen consoles are held back by their CPUs so targeting 60 FPS may not be quite possible, even with significantly reduced graphics and resolutions

GaemzDood

They're using P2P matchmaking, for one.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Shoulder

Yesterday, I began the process of migrating my PC from a standard HDD to a SSD, which I've had for a couple years already (previously used for my old Macbook Pro). At first, the whole thing did not go well. I went along and did the cloning process, but I guess what happened was, the SSD wasn't of the correct format. After about two hours of fiddling with different settings, and looking up countless posts on what to do, I managed to manually format the SSD (via command prompt), and then begun the process again.

The other issue I had was at first trying to get into my Bios because on Windows 10, I guess it wasn't so easy. I tried the normal way through the settings menu, but that never worked. Finally, I just continously pressed, "Del" on my keyboard during a restart, and that finally got me into the Bios (I use an Asus motherboard btw). Then, I had to do the trivial task of prioritizing the SSD in order so the computer boots that, rather than my standard HDD. This was the problem originally as because the drive wasn't formatted properly, it would not boot from it. After making sure it was the correct format, cloning the drive, and finally setting the boot priority through my Bios, everything finally works!

And yes, my computer runs faster in loading stuff than ever before, so that's nice. I also have an extra 50% of harddrive space, so I'm ok with that. I'll likely get another 1TB HDD at some point, or maybe even use my old 320GB HDD from my Macbook Pro as a spare drive for other misc files.

Needless to say, my nerdiness was showing a lot yesterday...as well as copious amounts of steam coming out of my ears as my GF noticed. Yeah, I wasn't too thrilled when things did not work right at first.

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
I'm this close to finishing Shadow of War and I'm halfway excited and bummed out. The past week has been nothing but infiltration, vendettas, surprise revivals, betrayals, and sieges; and it's been a wild, and fun ride the whole way through.

grimabepraised

GaemzDood

Actually, it's not as simple as "it's using Jaguar cores." Yes, Microsoft keeps Jaguar for the sake of compatibility with Xbox One titles as well as emulation, but the reality is that it is a far more flexible CPU than the PS4 Pro. The Xbox One X is able to execute gaming codes, instruction sets, and draw calls almost infinitely faster than the PS4 Pro as it’s able to execute 100s of thousands of draw calls per second with just 11 instructions or as low as 9 for a state change. Also, Direct3D 12 cuts CPU rendering budgets in half.

Does that mean 30 FPS games will magically jump to 60? Well....we've seen it happen with some PS4 games on the Pro. For example, The Surge is a locked 60 FPS on the Pro (although that is a GPU bound game), Black Ops III, which was *not* a 60 FPS game or a 1080p one on the standard PS4 can run as high as 3675x2160p (provided you have a 4k TV since the game doesn't support downsampling; really pisses me the fuck off tbh) and basically runs at a locked 60, No Man's Sky, which theoretically shouldn't have pulled off a nigh locked 60 FPS on the PS4 Pro given that it is a very CPU bound game with bad multithreading, the Infamous titles actually run at a pretty solid 60 apart from streaming micro-stutters (Horizon seems to be the only open world game that actually addressed this), runs at a nigh locked 60 FPS on the Pro at 1080p, and Rise of the Tomb Raider actually runs at 60 FPS basically all the time apart from the infamous hub area benchmarks that make the game's performance as a whole look bad (they are CPU bound areas, while the rest of the game really doesn't use much CPU power).

However, titles like Destiny 2 eat up the CPU since they process all of their AI and physics on it as opposed to cloud based servers like Halo 5's Warzone. Gears of War 4 also uses a ton of CPU power to process real time physics, destructible scenery, and AI that's actually pretty damn good, so that game being 4k30 for the campaign and Horde mode is understandable.

Titles like Quantum Break should be able to hit 60 FPS at a native 1080p without a hitch given that the game doesn't use much CPU processing based on benchmarks on my friend's PC (the AI is nothing special and the physics are canned). If you can't get GPU bound titles that don't use much in the way of CPU processing to run at a native 1080p and 60 FPS (Hellblade and Nioh, looking at you), that is just ineptitude.

Shoulder

Target is having a Buy 2, Get 1 free deal for all videos games (minus Switch for some odd reason), so naturally, and rather annoyingly, I took advantage of expanding my PS4 library with:

DOOM
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
Wolfenstein: The New Order/The Old Blood combo pack

So for the price of one full game, I got 4 games. Not a bad score. And yes, I already have The New Order for PS3, but I wanted to upgrade anyway, so figured this would be a good way, plus adding in The Old Blood, as per @CitizenOfVerona's recommendation. :mthumb:

Target is having a Buy 2, Get 1 free deal for all videos games (minus Switch for some odd reason), so naturally, and rather annoyingly, I took advantage of expanding my PS4 library with:

DOOM
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
Wolfenstein: The New Order/The Old Blood combo pack

So for the price of one full game, I got 4 games. Not a bad score. And yes, I already have The New Order for PS3, but I wanted to upgrade anyway, so figured this would be a good way, plus adding in The Old Blood, as per @CitizenOfVerona's recommendation. :mthumb:
In my opinion The Old Blood isn't as good as New Order, but it's still really good. Doom just goes without saying.

Haven't played Lost Legacy, I keep forgetting it exists. Let me know how it is if you play it before I get it.

Odo

I've been playing Steamworld Heist and I didn't like it. The game is truly clever, I admit, and it's quite challenging, however it lacks a good story and epic moments, you know? It's a bit too repetitive...

Odo

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
Horizon Zero Dawn update.

I beat the Frozen Wilds DLC.

That was a gigantic fucking bear.

My estimate for completing this game got pushed back by a day, but I think I'm in the home stretch.

grimabepraised