My Nintendo

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
This may be a silly question, but how do you add your friends via you Nintendo Account to Miitomo?
Right now, I've only found Facebook and Twitter and Local.
That's all I've found as well. I'm not sure there's a way to add people from your Nintendo account, at least yet. Maybe it will be later if they put Miitomo on the Wii U/3DS/NX.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
This may be a silly question, but how do you add your friends via you Nintendo Account to Miitomo?
Right now, I've only found Facebook and Twitter and Local.
That's all I've found as well. I'm not sure there's a way to add people from your Nintendo account, at least yet. Maybe it will be later if they put Miitomo on the Wii U/3DS/NX.
Yeah, which is why this utterly fails as a social app for me. No FB or Twitter = no interactions in Miitomo.

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
Anyone else find it strange that Gold seems to be the high standard with My Nintendo, where Platinum level was the high standard with Club Nintendo?
So much harder to get Gold points on My Nintendo. I got some platinum ones for sneezing.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
Get a twitter then, yah shut-ins
i agree here, Facebook is an annoying trivial time waster... but Twitter, Twitter is the pulse of the world, the best and fastest news source, and the easiest way to get your voie heard by those you could normally never approach. Everyone should have a Twitter account.

full disclosure - I have stock in Twitter.

lol

but seriously, even if you don't send a single message, Twitter is invaluable.. and unlike Facebook, you don't get friend requests, it doesn't work that way... you follow people, people follow you, 2 completely different functions, so just because the office lady is interested in what you say, doesn't mean you have to see her BS in your stream.

theMightyME

Anyone else find it strange that Gold seems to be the high standard with My Nintendo, where Platinum level was the high standard with Club Nintendo?
So much harder to get Gold points on My Nintendo. I got some platinum ones for sneezing.
they are completely separate... and gold is actually easier, technically, you just spend money on digital stuffs. The 2 currencies don't intermingle.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
but seriously, even if you don't send a single message, Twitter is invaluable.. and unlike Facebook, you don't get friend requests, it doesn't work that way... you follow people, people follow you, 2 completely different functions, so just because the office lady is interested in what you say, doesn't mean you have to see her BS in your stream.
To be honest that's how I use Facebook as well. I add everyone that wants to add me, but I "hide" the posts of everyone that monopolizes the news feed with drama, or that I just don't really want to keep in touch with on a day to day basis. And I change my status update settings so that certain people don't ever see them, which is handy for avoiding problems with "that uncle/aunt," for example. Also I follow the pages of things I'm interested in so I can stay updated.

Facebook with default settings is absolute garbage, for sure. But with custom settings, it's pretty nice.

That said, I've also liked using Twitter with a custom list, so I don't have to see everyone's stuff, just that of accounts I'm interested in. But it's never clicked with me the way Facebook did.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
So for the sake of being informed, I quickly ran the numbers of a common scenario to see how much exactly the Gold Points save you, and I found out it amounts to getting your sales taxes refunded:

Buying a $59.99 game gives you 60 Gold Points, or just about 1 Gold Point per dollar. A 30% discount on Splatoon, which right now costs $59.99 (taxes are not included when determining which Gold Point tier you receive), amounts to $12 saved; and it requires 140 Gold Points, or just about $140 dollars spent. So for spending $140 across a variety of games (the website doesn't specify whether they have to be Nintendo games), you get $12 off a purchase of Splatoon or some similarly qualifying game. Roughly that means that for every dollar spent, you get 8.5 cents back (rounded down), which funny enough is exactly what the sales tax is, at least here in Texas.

The easy way to think about it is, if you buy a $60 game, you'll eventually get $5 toward some Nintendo game.

theMightyME

So for the sake of being informed, I quickly ran the numbers of a common scenario to see how much exactly the Gold Points save you, and I found out it amounts to getting your sales taxes refunded:

Buying a $59.99 game gives you 60 Gold Points, or just about 1 Gold Point per dollar. A 30% discount on Splatoon, which right now costs $59.99 (taxes are not included when determining which Gold Point tier you receive), amounts to $12 saved; and it requires 140 Gold Points, or just about $140 dollars spent. So for spending $140 across a variety of games (the website doesn't specify whether they have to be Nintendo games), you get $12 off a purchase of Splatoon or some similarly qualifying game. Roughly that means that for every dollar spent, you get 8.5 cents back (rounded down), which funny enough is exactly what the sales tax is, at least here in Texas.

The easy way to think about it is, if you buy a $60 game, you'll eventually get $5 toward some Nintendo game.
it equates about the same as the digital deluxe plan.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
it equates about the same as the digital deluxe plan.
Right, so this plan is basically, "digital deluxe plan + scratch your ass once every week for some occasional extra 15% discounts".

To be honest though, I'm starting to "get" Miitomo. It's cool to sit there reading other people's responses, it does feel like you're getting to know just a tiny bit more about them each time. So it might be easy for me to interact with it often, as long as I get enough friends in there.

Leave it to Nintendo to gamify relationships.

theMightyME

are ou following friends on twitter? because that isn't the best route... I mostly follow TV Showrunners, and other TV critics... making my Twitter feed an invaluable news feed... and since you can be followed without accepting a friend request, you have no friend request pressure... also, Twitter doesn't bombard you with obnoxious meaningless notifications

Facebook is everything about an individual at that moment... Twitter is about the world at each moment.

Facebook = what are my friends doing
Twitter = what is happening in the world

theMightyME

Right, so this plan is basically, "digital deluxe plan + scratch your ass once every week for some occasional extra 15% discounts".

To be honest though, I'm starting to "get" Miitomo. It's cool to sit there reading other people's responses, it does feel like you're getting to know just a tiny bit more about them each time. So it might be easy for me to interact with it often, as long as I get enough friends in there.

Leave it to Nintendo to gamify relationships.
It is VERY Japanese. Japan is so socially shy... Miitomo is like a social network for those with social anxiety lol.

Though my favorite part is miifoto... I think they could break that out as a separate, but connected, app

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
are ou following friends on twitter? because that isn't the best route... I mostly follow TV Showrunners, and other TV critics... making my Twitter feed an invaluable news feed... and since you can be followed without accepting a friend request, you have no friend request pressure... also, Twitter doesn't bombard you with obnoxious meaningless notifications

Facebook is everything about an individual at that moment... Twitter is about the world at each moment.

Facebook = what are my friends doing
Twitter = what is happening in the world
I also opt out of a lot of notifications from Facebook. I really don't get notifications about anything I don't care about, and when I do, i immediately set it so that I never do again. It's really modular as well, so for example if I'm sick of some friend posting articles from buzzfeed but I still want to see their posts about everything else, I hide only all future posts from that person that includes buzzfeed. And like I said, I use FB to get my news as well by following the things I'm interested in for the most part, and because I'm not too deeply interested in news or in following specific employees from some company or whatever, it's good enough for me. So I get both what I want out of my friends and what I want out my news, after having customized it so much over many years.

the_randomizer

If the inconsistent internet infrastructure is so bad, why are there online games?

The account will work like Steam, they're working on it.

The future is digital only. I'm sorry, but it's happening. The internet infrastructure problems, the people who dislike internet, the people who wants to resell their games. People will have to get over all those situations. The industry won't stop doing that because of people who have slow internet.
Clearly, you're not aware of how bad and inconsistent America's internet infrastructure is; where I live, it's pretty fast, but go 30 mile out of town to a farm community, you're stuck with with dial up, wireless, satellite, whatever is out there. Digital only is unavoidable, just hope they don't add some kind of bullshit restrictions to it. Whatever, I said my piece on why I don't like it and I regret saying anything on the matter in the first place, go fig :(

Me and my big, fat mouth -_-

Koenig

The Architect
Clearly, you're not aware of how bad and inconsistent America's internet infrastructure is; where I live, it's pretty fast, but go 30 mile out of town to a farm community, you're stuck with with dial up, wireless, satellite, whatever is out there. Digital only is unavoidable, just hope they don't add some kind of bullshit restrictions to it. Whatever, I said my piece on why I don't like it and I regret saying anything on the matter in the first place, go fig :(

Me and my big, fat mouth -_-
Don't feel down about it, your points are valid.

FriedShoes

MLG
Yeah, America's internet is fucked completely.
But the minute the profits outweigh the difficulties of the internet-disabled, that's when the move is reasonable to make. I dont think we there quite yet, but in another 5 years?
Goodbye.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
While I agree the internet infrastructure in the US is terrible, download times wouldn't really be an issue with the way consoles download games now, while the system is off and before the game is released. BUT, the biggest problem I imagine a lot of people have is the data cap their ISPs put on their service, so they have to be very careful about what they use their internet for. Downloading a 60 GB Titanfall 2 would be hard for a lot of people in the US, simply because they'd be using over half their data caps on a single go.

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
The day gaming goes digital only is the day I become retro only gamer (with a dash of PC). Psychical media is superior for console games in every way as far as I'm concerned.
Now trying to decide if the LoZ Picross is worth it.
I'd say it is (or WarioWare Touched--this one expires earlier). I haven't got the game myself yet, but considering how easy it is to get Platinum coins on a daily and weekly basis (especially with Miitomo) and that they last only 6 months it isn't a huge risk.

the_randomizer

While I agree the internet infrastructure in the US is terrible, download times wouldn't really be an issue with the way consoles download games now, while the system is off and before the game is released. BUT, the biggest problem I imagine a lot of people have is the data cap their ISPs put on their service, so they have to be very careful about what they use their internet for. Downloading a 60 GB Titanfall 2 would be hard for a lot of people in the US, simply because they'd be using over half their data caps on a single go.
Comcast is the ISP I have *shudder* and their data caps are hard to find out, the FCC tried to sue them for screwing customers over in that regard, not sure how it panned out. Yes, there are theoretically ways to bypassing data caps, but I'm not going to suggest people resort to very grey things like that. Heh.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I reckon I'm very lucky where I live. No data caps no restrictions just blazin fast fiber Internet. But like Random said hell go outta town 5 min and I'm in dial up country.

That being said I'm no fan of digital at all, even tho I know everything is movin that way.

theMightyME

google is fixing the internet a few cities at a time... they launched their fiber service to kick in competition.. unfortunately it is spreading very slowly, but whenever it comes to a town not only do you have access to Google's gigabit connection, but everywhere it has happened the other ISPs miraculously stumble upon 10 times the bandwidth they normally give you... for example I watch a podcast called cordkillers, one of the hosts is in austin, google fiber came to town but wasn't avauilable where he lived.. but immediately upon google fiber opening in austin, at&t and other IPs started offering gigabit service for the same price as their top tier itnernet used to be... it is like 10 times faster than what they offered before.. they went from capping connections and complaining that there wasn;t enough bandwidth to share to multiplying speeds by 10... and the only thing that happened was google opening up a competing business...

so essentially.. the shitty connections we have are like 99% greed on the part of our ISPs... the further google fiber spreads the more the other ISPs HAVE to provide better speeds...

but dor those that think bad and sketchy coverage will stop companies from going digital only.. you are naive... most of the population is in cities where speed isn't so much an issue... when nintendos ells you a game digitaly for $60 they make $60... when they sell you a ahrdcopy through best buy at $60 they make less than half of that.... meaning nintendo could sell half as many games and make the same return if theyw ent digital only... but it is only like 10% or less of the population that has sub broadband access...

so basically.. when stuff starts going digital only.. you are boned

those that deny it.. consider phones.. you cannot buy game and app cartridges for your smartphones... they are designed with the expectation that you have enough internet speed to get by... and smart phones are WAY more mainstream right now than game consoles are.

MANGANian

Megalomaniacal Robo-Zombie
Well I'm a bit pleasantly surprised. Really bummed buying physical games gets you nothing, but the discounts for the software counterparts are nice. I like that themes are also rewards as well. It's good to see Flipnote 3D is available as a reward. I thought it was lost to anyone who didn't have a Club Nintendo account at the time.

theMightyME

Well I'm a bit pleasantly surprised. Really bummed buying physical games gets you nothing, but the discounts for the software counterparts are nice. I like that themes are also rewards as well. It's good to see Flipnote 3D is available as a reward. I thought it was lost to anyone who didn't have a Club Nintendo account at the time.
they did say that benefits for physical games ARE coming though (in an interview with IGN)

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Man, Miitomo is pretty addictive. I keep thinking I'll just check it quick but end up saying, "just one answer more".

What do you guys think, should there be a dedicated thread for Miitomo/Miifoto, as in, separate from this one?

FriedShoes

MLG
I wonder how many games will be given Platinum Coin challenges, because if its every Nintendo game thats huge, that'd be better than any achievement system. Granted, a lot of the rewards arent much but they can be pretty neat.

Also I have not heard this "physical games codes" things at all, got a source? All I heard was that physical rewards are something to look forward to in the future.
Man, Miitomo is pretty addictive. I keep thinking I'll just check it quick but end up saying, "just one answer more".

What do you guys think, should there be a dedicated thread for Miitomo/Miifoto, as in, separate from this one?
I'm cool with that.

theMightyME

I wonder how many games will be given Platinum Coin challenges, because if its every Nintendo game thats huge, that'd be better than any achievement system. Granted, a lot of the rewards arent much but they can be pretty neat.

Also I have not heard this "physical games codes" things at all, got a source? All I heard was that physical rewards are something to look forward to in the future.

I'm cool with that.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/03...ed-about-miitomo-and-nintendos-digital-future

weeman_com

what are y'alls twitters?
I already have juegos
@TheTetrodox
I dont tweet off it, makes me no profit, so dont expect much other than a good Miitomo add.
www.twitter.com/weeman_com
or just @weeman_com

I guess I'm pretty lucky in the UK, or even more specific in Northern Ireland that the infrastructure is decent and ISP's dont hold you over a barrel. Fact is the packages available in the UK usually only go upto a cap of 40GB data then above that is unlimited. If someones going over 40GB usage is there really any point for an ISP to put a cap on that? I currently get 54Mb-70Mb on Fibre broadband unlimited usage for £25pm which also includes many free extra's provided by the ISP... Well I say for £25pm but I recently started to work for the ISP and now get this free.
BUT most of all what helped the infrastructure in the UK for BB services is the European and UK pressure on networks to improve BB in rural areas having 90% coverage of superfast BB. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/broadband-delivery-uk
The Government is supporting investment to:

• provide superfast broadband coverage to 90% of the UK by early 2016 and 95% by December 2017
  • provide access to basic broadband (2Mbps) for all from December 2015
  • explore options to provide superfast coverage to the hardest to reach parts of the UK
  • encourage the take up of superfast broadband by SMEs to support growth through the Broadband Connection Voucher Scheme (now closed)
  • improve mobile coverage in remote areas by 2016
more information like the above are in the link above.

Odo

In a decade, we'll be playing cloud computing streaming games.

This is the netflixation of the world.

Even sex will be streamed in the future.

The day gaming goes digital only is the day I become retro only gamer (with a dash of PC). Psychical media is superior for console games in every way as far as I'm concerned.
I know how you feel. Physical games are nice, however I've seen many people saying the same about CDs. They're all on Apple Music and Spotify now.

Koenig

The Architect
In a decade, we'll be playing cloud computing streaming games.

This is the netflixation of the world.

Even sex will be streamed in the future.

I know how you feel. Physical games are nice, however I've seen many people saying the same about CDs. They're all on Apple Music and Spotify now.
Yet I still know people who buy CD's and even vinyl. I know digital is the way of the future, but I see no reason why consoles (even if the are premium versions) should not support physical games for those who do want to pay the extra money to buy them.

Odo

Yet I still know people who buy CD's and even vinyl. I know digital is the way of the future, but I see no reason why consoles (even if the are premium versions) should not support physical games for those who do want to pay the extra money to buy them.
I think the problem with the "it's just a disk reader on the console" is about everything that comes with the disk reader: the disc fabrication, stock, logistics, retail relationship, all the third parties involved on the process, all the staff you need to manage it, all the quality control of this process, etc.

A digital product is just absolutely easier and cheaper to produce.

For collection's sake, it's easier if you just ship a collector's book + amiibo + some card + teddy bear with a download code for the game. You remove all the physical game process and add some related stuff so collectors can pick up and post pics on Instagram.

theMightyME

awww but there in lies the issue... retail SHOULD be more expensive than digital, but it isn't... why? is it greed from Nintendo? not really... if they could drop the price on digital games by $10 more people would buy digital and physical, and they would make more money on each of those sales DESPITE selling cheaper... so why don't they... because then the retailers wont support them... that is the issue... Nintendo has to bend over backwards to keep retailers happy... and nintendo incentivizing digital purchases over retail is NOT what the retailers will accept... At some point what the retailers want wont matter anymore, because Nintendo will be in a position in which they make more on digital than they do at retail... and the retailers will lose their leverage... that is what retailers are scared to death of... and is why companies like Nintendo have been making things like amiibo... basically to pacify retailers "there there, its ok... you can't get these digitally".... so retail will not be cheaper than digital unless the retailers lose leverage... and the only way that happens is if

1. most buyers begin switching to digital

AND

2. this change occurs from all directions (nintendo, sony, AND MS) so the retailer can't threaten to hold better and mroe space for others over them.

at that point manufacturers will have the leverage over retailers, and retailers will be the one making concessions... but at that point there really isn't anything the retailer can offer them either, at that point the retailer is all but irrelevant...

they lucked out with the popularity of stuff like amiibo which can keep them more relevant for longer... but at a certain point it will cost nintendo more to support physical media than it will to just abandon it... that is an eventuality.. it might be a LONG ways off, or it could be next year... but it happens

as for CDs and vinyl... the cd business is on its last legs and will eventually fold, it really only exists now because some of the artists themselves, and the companies like the idea of the album in stores like a mini billboard... advertising them... vinyl is a COMPLETELY different story.. vinyl is an enthusiast product.. a super niche product that appeals to counter culture elitists, it has become its own industry with ridiculously high mark-ups that keeps it afloat.

Koenig

The Architect
Very good points.

I do have reservations about them though; if indeed it is retailers who are pushing against the price difference, then they are in effect encouraging publishers to abandon physical outright. It makes more sense in the long run to have a piece of the pie than lose the pie altogether. I suppose retailers don't see it that way, but then again I don't hold the long term planning of most business in any high regard...

Odo

That's how value works.

Value is not the sum of all costs.

In the case of digital vs physical, value includes retail relationship.

theMightyME

Very good points.

I do have reservations about them though; if indeed it is retailers who are pushing against the price difference, then they are in effect encouraging publishers to abandon physical outright. It makes more sense in the long run to have a piece of the pie than lose the pie altogether. I suppose retailers don't see it that way, but then again I don't hold the long term planning of most business in any high regard...
remember that nintendo still has to sell systems and peripherals, and in store units of software act like mini billboards

Odo

So, guys, after all those months of My Nintendo, do you have new thoughts?

Well, I picked up some good deals this year: Pushmo World, Wind Waker and more two 3DS games I don't recall.

I've got too many platinum coins I don't know what to do with them.

The "deals for you" idea is meaningless in My Nintendo.

There are many deals for games that I've already own and it annoys me that My Nintendo can't know I have them. :D

Koenig

The Architect
So, guys, after all those months of My Nintendo, do you have new thoughts?

Well, I picked up some good deals this year: Pushmo World, Wind Waker and more two 3DS games I don't recall.

I've got too many platinum coins I don't know what to do with them.

The "deals for you" idea is meaningless in My Nintendo.

There are many deals for games that I've already own and it annoys me that My Nintendo can't know I have them. :D
I think it is functionally three steps backwards from Club Nintendo.

The complete segregation of digital and physical along with the lack of quality rewards makes it a loyalty rewards system that rewards just about no one. As far as My Nintendo is concerned, the stack of 20+ Wii U games I own is worth nothing because I dared to buy a physical copy; and the only rewards I am allowed to purchase are Miitomo fabrications. Never mind the fact that even if I had gold coins all of the rewards are discounts or downloads of games I already purchased. As a loyalty rewards program it fails spectacularly.