My Wii U Game

Hi Everyone! I've been making this game for about 9 months now, but been a bit rubbish at promoting it (part of the reason I've just signed up here. Trying to get a bit more involved with the community etc).

Anyway, the game is a music-racing game. Kinda like a cross between Audio Surf and Mario Kart. It's a motion control game / uses wiimotes, with players using them to change their colour, which they then have to match with the colour of whatever is coming towards them on the track. In local multiplayer, the game is a race, where the closer the player matches a colour dictating how fast/slow they go along a fixed circuit. In single player, points are scored for correct matches instead.

It's still in development (for a start, the boy character in the above trailer from last year is getting replaced by spaceships and eagles and other cooler looking stuff), but will hopefully be out this summer on Wii U.

It also doesn't have a name yet, so we're running a competition to pick a new name.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Looks very promising, James. So because this is musical oriented game, does that mean the tracks you race/play on are rhythmic, so as you cover the track, you'll hear specific tones and other musical notes that can compile into an actual song, or at least a tune?

I'm reminded of Runner 2 if you've ever played that for what I'm asking.

Right now, it's done the other way around. So the music plays in the background as it were, and various things happen on track or in the environment in time to the music.

I tried what you suggested with one of the musicians I'm working with, or rather, playing a semi-random note each time the player hits an object on the track, to create a melody over the top of the base track. Unfortunately, it proved tricky to get right, both in terms of timing, and balancing the volume levels: If the track starts out quiet and slowly builds up, it's no good banging out thumping great chords every time the player hits something. It's just time consuming / fiddly to get spot-on. So I've put that on the back-log of ideas which could be used to add that something extra nearer launch time, or expand the game post launch.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Right now, it's done the other way around. So the music plays in the background as it were, and various things happen on track or in the environment in time to the music.

I tried what you suggested with one of the musicians I'm working with, or rather, playing a semi-random note each time the player hits an object on the track, to create a melody over the top of the base track. Unfortunately, it proved tricky to get right, both in terms of timing, and balancing the volume levels: If the track starts out quiet and slowly builds up, it's no good banging out thumping great chords every time the player hits something. It's just time consuming / fiddly to get spot-on. So I've put that on the back-log of ideas which could be used to add that something extra nearer launch time, or expand the game post launch.
Gotcha. So more Guitar Hero on a race track than Runner 2. Sounds intriguing.