**Need For Speed Most Wanted U Competitive Discussion**

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I only use the bumper cam, and it's not for laughs. :msrs:

Interestingly enough, I actually get a lot of enjoyment beating lap times. It's that competitiveness of myself that extends to other areas besides jsut video games. I don't like losing, simple as that, and when someone does beat my time (That Jumpin' Jack lap time of yours is very difficult to beat), I get a kick out of trying to beat it.

If only MK8 had leaderboards between friends...
Exact same fir me

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Interestingly enough, I actually get a lot of enjoyment beating lap times. It's that competitiveness of myself that extends to other areas besides jsut video games.
Oh, I completely agree. That's why I put so much time into this game; it became an addiction trying to get to the top of any given speedwall. I remember texting Matt when I was trying to beat you in that one race with the M3 (never quite got it). Some of my best memories on the Wii U.

But there's less and less of that enjoyment for me, because the lap times have gotten so damn good. In some of these races, you've gotta be both lucky (get a rolling start at the right speed, which is purely up to the CPU), and so good that you have the ability to make a nearly flawless run (one mistake and your time is cocked). Otherwise, you're replaying the same race for two or three hours, constantly starting over, and that's when fun gives way to frustration for me.

We need to do a DUI night soon. Haven't had one in ages.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Oh, I completely agree. That's why I put so much time into this game; it became an addiction trying to get to the top of any given speedwall. I remember texting Matt when I was trying to beat you in that one race with the M3 (never quite got it). Some of my best memories on the Wii U.

But there's less and less of that enjoyment for me, because the lap times have gotten so damn good. In some of these races, you've gotta be both lucky (get a rolling start at the right speed, which is purely up to the CPU), and so good that you have the ability to make a nearly flawless run (one mistake and your time is cocked). Otherwise, you're replaying the same race for two or three hours, constantly starting over, and that's when fun gives way to frustration for me.

We need to do a DUI night soon. Haven't had one in ages.
Continental Drift by any chance? I'm determined to beat that in under 2 minutes one day.

EvilTw1n

Continental Drift by any chance?
Yep. That one.

WiiU_screenshot_TV_01288.jpg

Took me all damn night. I was stuck on 2:08.03. Three one-hundredths of a muhfuggin second I just couldn't shave off (that's probably hitting one too many light poles). And damnit, I cocked up two exits on that 2:07.96. There's a 2:06 (maybe 2:05) living in that M3.
I'm determined to beat that in under 2 minutes one day.
It's probably feasible in the 911. The game says your 2:08 dead was done in a 911, and if it wasn't roided up with pro gear, there's more room to stretch it (you should be able to carry more speed with the Porsche). That M3 doesn't have much more to give unless you're utterly flawless; even with long gears, it just doesn't have the top end of the Porsche.

I should go to the 911 next, but even in this game with its questionable physics (that I'll get to tomorrow), it still hates when you lift. Not a characteristic I'm fond of. Cracking 2:00 with the Porsche will mean changing some strategy, and going Bonzai without a break pedal.

But that M3...there's a touch more potential left. Oh well, for tonight, victor--

Took me over an hour to beat (well done @Mike D. ) and with that I'm spent.

Last edited:

Shoulder

When I was doing my run during Jumpin' Jacks, I saw that we were both competing for taking down each other's laptimes at the same time. I was literally about to quit because I had to shower and go to bed (showering because of the game was not the case here, mind you).

As far as the status for Continental Drift goes, I was fiddling around with it driving the 911, and quickly realized that in order to get the fastest laptimes, you never take your finger off the acclerator. With little effort, I managed a 2:11, so with some strategizing, and getting the point of going completely mental, under 2:00min should be doable. I'm also going to try my hand at getting under 3:00min in Red Shift, which using the SL65 AMG should be pretty simple in the end.

EvilTw1n

When I was doing my run during Jumpin' Jacks, I saw that we were both competing for taking down each other's laptimes at the same time. I was literally about to quit because I had to shower and go to bed (showering because of the game was not the case here, mind you).
Yep, I noticed you were on Jumping Jacks. I should've known you were gonna take it down. :p
As far as the status for Continental Drift goes, I was fiddling around with it driving the 911, and quickly realized that in order to get the fastest laptimes, you never take your finger off the acclerator. With little effort, I managed a 2:11, so with some strategizing, and getting the point of going completely mental, under 2:00min should be doable. I'm also going to try my hand at getting under 3:00min in Red Shift, which using the SL65 AMG should be pretty simple in the end.
Well...

Listen through the first spray shop and following high speed corner. I think they are lifting and just barely fluttering on the brake. It's why I'll never be that quick in this game - my instinct is to always shave off time by running cleaner (I always try to slide and apex out of that high speed bend), which is the coward's way in this game. :p

OTOH, the player mentions in the comments that it took like 500 tries to get that time. As fun as this game is, I'm not doing 500 races.

Shoulder

Hmm, reading all you guys' posts just now makes me wanna get this game......maybe one day.....sounds like a lotta fun.
You can find it for cheap these days, and it's a shame more people did not pick this up, despite that it launched 6 months after the other versions. It's ultimately too bad the Wii U isn't getting any future NFS games, because I hear NFS: Rivals was pretty good.

Yep, I noticed you were on Jumping Jacks. I should've known you were gonna take it down. :p

Well...

Listen through the first spray shop and following high speed corner. I think they are lifting and just barely fluttering on the brake. It's why I'll never be that quick in this game - my instinct is to always shave off time by running cleaner (I always try to slide and apex out of that high speed bend), which is the coward's way in this game. :p

OTOH, the player mentions in the comments that it took like 500 tries to get that time. As fun as this game is, I'm not doing 500 races.
That video and lap time:

EvilTw1n

@imthesoldier - If anyone can do it, you can.

I tried to gold out a few more vehicles tonight (pretty much the only races left are trucks and hyper cars), but I'mma put a moratorium on this game until I buy a Pro controller. Not because I really want one, but because this game occasionally makes me want to throw things, and I'd hate to break my GamePad.

Back in the saddle.

Edit: Earned this using a combination of Short-gear and long-gear transmissions and Off-road and track Pro tires. Definately not my best since I wasn't using off-road pro and I crashed a little.

Last edited:

Shoulder

Back in the saddle.

View attachment 1579

Edit: Earned this using a combination of Short-gear and long-gear transmissions and Off-road and track Pro tires. Definately not my best since I wasn't using off-road pro and I crashed a little.

View attachment 1580
Nicely done, Ace. And nice to see you around on these parts again. I miss you, big guy! :mhug:

Oh, and I'll be tackling that lap time this weekend. Mark my words. Time to dust off keys and get all cylinders going again.

Shoulder

Oh, shit. It's back again?

:sigh:

Man, this game is too much. On some of these races, I'm probably literally doing the same race a hundred times or something, because the standard is already so high.
I'd be very curious to see a leaderboard of all Wii U owners who have the game. Hell, just thinking about this, it'd be cool if Miiverse had sort of a native leaderboard implementation to every Wii U game. I believe MK8 has something similar with that, but it's in the form of ghost replays.

EvilTw1n

This thread will never die.

As per our discussion last night, we need some NFS (we can experience the miracle that is in-game voice chat). Soon.

Shoulder

So we riding together tonight?

Or no? Cause (big surprise) I'm available tonight
I'll be home after class and would be ready by around 9:30cst if that works for anyone else.

EDIT: Actually, I may not be available as I have some grocery shopping to do after class. If you guys do play some online, have fun doing it!

Last edited:

Shoulder

We were talking about how good a port it was, then my Wii U froze.

EA strikes again
It is a shame EA did not follow up with the Airport DLC pack, or better yet provide another patch for those little bugs and freezes we sometimes get. There have been times I'll play for three hours without a hiccup, and then another session I'll have it freeze three times in a span of an hour.

Criterion is the worst developer in history.
Let me break down the scoring tonight
I won all but one race
I got the most takedowns
I still only placed second to CoV
How in the fuck?

EvilTw1n

Re-bump. Don't want this thread to fall too far. Once Splatoon arrives in May, and probably Devil's Third after that, this game is probably going to be waaaaaay out of the community's gaming rotation (Smash, Kart, MH4U, plus two new shooters equals less time for launch ports). I noticed the other night that I'm almost 100 hours in; I usually spend 20-40 hours on these sorts of games, and I never would've made the bigger commitment to this game without the community. We pushed each other for those speedwalls. Not even the freezing glitch put us off.

Y'know, I feel an article coming on.

Shoulder

Re-bump. Don't want this thread to fall too far. Once Splatoon arrives in May, and probably Devil's Third after that, this game is probably going to be waaaaaay out of the community's gaming rotation (Smash, Kart, MH4U, plus two new shooters equals less time for launch ports). I noticed the other night that I'm almost 100 hours in; I usually spend 20-40 hours on these sorts of games, and I never would've made the bigger commitment to this game without the community. We pushed each other for those speedwalls. Not even the freezing glitch put us off.

Y'know, I feel an article coming on.
"Why TNE loves Need for Speed: Most Wanted U."

I would love to help write something for it, and we could feature some footage in the process, as well some of our speedwall photo captures.

What about a series of articles?

We each pick a launch/launch window titles, that may not have been our jam, or we wuoldn't have put all the time into it if it weren't for each other.

So Mike can do NFS, for example, and I can do Blops 2. I got near 100 hours on that just because of you guys. Should can do Monster Hunter or something. Each game has it's quirks being a near launch title, but the sense of community shined through.

Or not. Just an idea

edit: talk about some of our favorite conversations or moments (without going into our personal lives obviously, but just to show people who we roll and what community means to us).

again, or not. Just spit balling here

Shoulder

So for shits and giggles, @EvilTw1n , I decided to have a go again in our favorite race Continental Drift, and figured I'd try it with the M3 since I had been using the 911 the whole time. I wasn't even trying, and I got a time of 2:07.36. Your time was 2:07.96. I think there's more left in that car than you think.

*shrugs*

EDIT: Here's the video in question:

Last edited:

EvilTw1n

So for shits and giggles, @EvilTw1n , I decided to have a go again in our favorite race Continental Drift, and figured I'd try it with the M3 since I had been using the 911 the whole time. I wasn't even trying, and I got a time of 2:07.36. Your time was 2:07.96. I think there's more left in that car than you think.

*shrugs*

EDIT: Here's the video in question:

Bloody hell. Brute force wins over finesse. I try to drift through that first high speed corner and the second spray shop (and also to hit the last spray shop before the lap), and clean drift that last section. Apparently I've just been doing it wrong! :mfacepalm:

Goodtwin

Its amazing how much you guys have shaved these times down. I have no patience for such a grind, but I am impressed with those who do. This really was a gem, and I am thankful Criterion gave Wii U gamers a good racer. If they hadnt pushed, EA would have scrapped this game. Thats sad, I have nearly 100 hours into it, and its one of the best port to Wii U for sure. I loved the Burnout games on Gamecube, and their take on NFS definitely hit home with me. To bad Criterion is a shell of its former self, but sure glad we didnt miss out on this game.

Shoulder

Bloody hell. Brute force wins over finesse. I try to drift through that first high speed corner and the second spray shop (and also to hit the last spray shop before the lap), and clean drift that last section. Apparently I've just been doing it wrong! :mfacepalm:
I've realized that in some corners for some races, not drifitng is the fastest.