New Japanese Nintendo Direct 5/31/15

ASuch

The Salt Master
The new stuff from FE: If looks great. Base building and waifu/husbando petting is awesome

Monster Hunter X looks interesting too; I have a feeling it will be like the Bloodborne for Monster Hunter (vastly speeding up and stylizing the combat like BB did for the Souls series)

otherwise the rest was kind of hit and miss, but this was very clearly a 3DS direct, so its fine

DQVIII looks cool as well but I dont think that will come here, although there is the Square Enix E3 conference

Ex-Actarus

That was a pretty good direct with lots of titles showed :
- Monster Hunter X ( 3DS )
- Fire Emblem If ( 3DS )
- New Dr Mario ( 3DS )
- New Chi Chi Rono ( 3DS )
- Dragon Quest 8 ( 3DS )
- New Pokemon Mystery Dungeon ( 3DS )
- New Super Robo Taisen ( 3DS )
- That Capcom/ From Software game ( 3DS )
- Project Treasure ( ??? )
- New Mario & Sonic game ( 3DS/ Wii U )
- New 3DS bundle for Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer
- Yoshi's Wooley World ( Wii U )

But after watching that Direct one thing is even more clear for me. Nintendo really moved on to the NX... There was pretty much no place for the Wii U in the whole Direct. Just one title, Mario & Sonic at the Rio Olympics ( and Yoshi ! ).

I guess they kept the big Wii U announcement for E3. Hopefully...

PS : apparently Project Treasure is a Wii U title. Man, I though it was a 3DS title... I don't see any mention for a platform on the trailer. So who knows ?

Last edited:

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
- New Dr Mario ( 3DS )
Are they freaking serious? Jesus christ. Meanwhile, the amazing Puzzle League franchise is rotting somewhere out there alongside F-Zero.
- That Capcom/ From Software game ( 3DS )
It's a spinoff of the Monster Hunters franchise (it's basically a fleshed out version of the Meownster Hunters minigame of MH4). You can see the palicoes (the cats) fighting a Zinogre, Congalala, and Seregios in the trailer. Probably going to sell for $20 on the eshop or something. Of all the things I wanted Capcom and FromSoftware to do together, a Monster Hunter cat spinoff eshop game for kids is the one I wanted least.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
I can't wait for Dragon Quest VIII to never be localized :(

At least, Monster Hunter X looks pretty cool, even if I'm willing to bet we'll just end up getting Monster Hunter X Ultimate instead :p

Fire Emblem: If and Yoshi's Wooly World are looking nice

I don't know what to quite make of Project Treasure but I sure hope that that's early footage.

The other stuff doesn't particularly interest me

But after watching that Direct one thing is even more clear for me. Nintendo really moved on to the NX... There was pretty much no place for the Wii U in the whole Direct. Just one title, Mario & Sonic at the Rio Olympics ( and Yoshi ! ).

I guess they kept the big Wii U announcement for E3. Hopefully...
I don't think this Nintendo Direct meant anything, considering it was a Japanese-only Nintendo Direct aired only a few weeks before E3. It makes more sense for Nintendo's more major titles to be announced and/or have more shown off about them at E3

Ex-Actarus

DQ situation for the West is getting worse every announcement.

I don't expect to ever see DQX here.
I don't understand why Square Enix refuses to localized the Dragon Quest games. We have Dragon Quest X, Dragon Quest VII and I don't even know how many Dragon Quest Monster Joker games. I mean, if Capcom can localize a game like Project X Zone and have success, how come Dragon Quest games are not coming to the West ? I don't get it.

Odo

I don't understand why Square Enix refuses to localized the Dragon Quest games. We have Dragon Quest X, Dragon Quest VII and I don't even know how many Dragon Quest Monster Joker games. I mean, if Capcom can localize a game like Project X Zone and have success, how come Dragon Quest games are not coming to the West ? I don't get it.
The truth is, DQ doesn't sell here. People don't get DQ since DQI.

All the DQs combined for DS didn't hit 2m.

DQM sales are even worse than that. Joker 2 sold almost nothing.

Ex-Actarus

The truth is, DQ doesn't sell here. People don't get DQ since DQI.

All the DQs combined for DS didn't hit 2m.

DQM sales are even worse than that. Joker 2 sold almost nothing.
Yes, you have a point @Odo, but don't you think Dragon Quest is an easier sale than Monster Hunter in the West ?

I mean Nintendo could publish the game abroad and handle the Marketing if Square Enix doesn't want to take the risk. It's ridiculous to have "literally" half a dozen games sitting out there while 3DS games are not really coming out crazy on the system...

Odo

Yes, you have a point @Odo, but don't you think Dragon Quest is an easier sale than Monster Hunter in the West ?

I mean Nintendo could publish the game abroad and handle the Marketing if Square Enix doesn't want to take the risk. It's ridiculous to have "literally" half a dozen games sitting out there while 3DS games are not really coming out crazy on the system...
MH is almost a niche game in my opinion. So it sells great in Japan and good here. MH here means a good addition to the sales. And I think now it's got more appeal than DQ franchise here.

DQ is a monster in Japan. It's quite a religion there and sells nothing here. It's like Square doesn't want the bother of localising it.

About Nintendo publishing it, well, DQIX and DQVI were published by Nintendo. And DQIX was a title exclusive for DS.

Ex-Actarus

@Odo , actually the point I wanted to make is how did Capcom manage to make Monster Hunter a successful franchise in the West, while Square Enix failed with Dragon Quest ?

You have plenty of JRPGs resonating with western audiences : Xenoblade, Persona, Ni No Kuni, Breavly Default, etc. There is simply NO EXCUSES for Square Enix, they didn't try hard enough imo.

Project X Zone sold more in US than in Japan ! PROJECT X ZONE !?!? Persona 4 Golden managed to sell 300 K in the US... On Vita !!! And Square Enix is not confident that Dragon Quest VII or XIII would do better on 3DS ? Come on Square Enix, it's time to step up with the DQ franchise !

Source 1 : http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=project+x+zone

Source 2 : http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=persona+4&publisher=&platform=&genre=&minSales=0&results=200

Odo

@Odo , actually the point I wanted to make is how did Capcom manage to make Monster Hunter a successful franchise in the West, while Square Enix failed with Dragon Quest ?

You have plenty of JRPGs resonating with western audiences : Xenoblade, Persona, Ni No Kuni, Breavly Default, etc. There is simply NO EXCUSES for Square Enix, they didn't try hard enough imo.

Project X Zone sold more in US than in Japan ! PROJECT X ZONE !?!? Persona 4 Golden managed to sell 300 K in the US... On Vita !!! And Square Enix is not confident that Dragon Quest VII or XIII would do better on 3DS ? Come on Square Enix, it's time to step up with the DQ franchise !

Source 1 : http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=project x zone

Source 2 : http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=persona 4&publisher=&platform=&genre=&minSales=0&results=200
The post I wrote to reply you is gone. One day was lost here and it includes my post.

I don't want to write it all again, but summarising it, DQ is not as fresh as the new Personas, as not as beautiful as Breavely Default and as not as perfect and easy to get as Xenoblade Chronicles. DQ is a conservative RPG, requires a lot of grinding, its battles are straightforward and very textual (there are plain texts popping out while you battle) and even Bravely being a traditional RPG, DQ is far from having the great art style of Bravely. In fact, while Japanese see DQ art as the original art of Akira Toriyama, Westerners see it as ugly old-anime art that looks like Dragon Ball.

DQ is an old franchise and Square just isn't able to do for it what they've done for new franchises.

Ex-Actarus

The post I wrote to reply you is gone. One day was lost here and it includes my post.

I don't want to write it all again, but summarising it, DQ is not as fresh as the new Personas, as not as beautiful as Breavely Default and as not as perfect and easy to get as Xenoblade Chronicles. DQ is a conservative RPG, requires a lot of grinding, its battles are straightforward and very textual (there are plain texts popping out while you battle) and even Bravely being a traditional RPG, DQ is far from having the great art style of Bravely. In fact, while Japanese see DQ art as the original art of Akira Toriyama, Westerners see it as ugly old-anime art that looks like Dragon Ball.

DQ is an old franchise and Square just isn't able to do for it what they've done for new franchises.
I agree it's an old franchise, but that's not an excuse for Square Enix. I mean Fire Emblem is an old franchise as well, and it has never been as popular as today. So Square Enix needs to do a better job at attracting the western audience to Dragon Quest, if this meas changing few things ( as Fire Emblem did ), so be it !

And by the way, I would not call Toriyama art style ugly, Dragon Ball Z fan over here :)

Odo

And by the way, I would not call Toriyama art style ugly, Dragon Ball Z fan over here :)
Me neither, but for most people around, that's just ugly old 80's anime art.

Maybe Square need to create a new title for Dragon Quest franchise who could appeal to this new world. A new title that could bring new audience to the original franchise. Because they can't change the original franchise or it's wouldn't be the good conservative DQ any more.