Nintendo Is Still Undecided Whether Splatoon Will Feature Voice Chat

http://gamerant.com/nintendo-splatoon-voice-chat/

====================

Are you f***ing serious Nintendo?

You're not f***ing sure if it NEEDS it?
I don't need to put pickles on my sandwich every time I visit Subway but it damn sure doesn't hurt. Why the hell is nearly every game release a RollerCoaster with you guys...

Not even sure why this bothers me when there's a good chance it won't affect me, but I guess I just like to have options, or really just be sold a complete product considering we're talking about excluding a standard in the shooter genre.

Come Tapatalk at me, bro.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
I can't help but think Voice Chat was all ready confirmed; did they go back on what was said then?
According to PlayerEssence, some Nintendo reps said there would be voice chat (probably someone at a booth at E3). But I'm more inclined to listen to the game's producer and project leader.

I almost understood Nintendo with MK8. Leave all of the technical details aside. Sure, COD may have 12 players in one match, but you're pretty much dealing with 6 vs. 6. It's easier to field conversation amongst 6 people, and harder when you have a dozen people all talking over each other at the same time. But Splatoon is 4 vs. 4, with maps that don't look like they're going to be Battlefield-sized. Voice chat makes sense, and it's certainly technologically possible.

Don't cock this up, Nintendo. This "we care more about local multiplayer interaction, and care about the kiddies online" schtick is really starting to piss me off. If Reggie has any sway in the company, this is is the time for him to step up and say "listen guys, it's different outside of Japan - people want this because not every location is as densely populated as Tokyo."

Last edited:

EvilTw1n

Just gonna c/p this here (from the CT):

Good info here from IGN on Splatoon:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06...ns-of-nintendoas-adorable-squad-based-shooter

The development team is quite small by today's standards - only 40 people (for comparison's sake, Bungie has 400 people working on Destiny, while Ubi had 900 people work on ACIV).

But it sounds like Turf War really is Splatoon's raison d'être. I'm not so sure we really will see a bunch of other modes.

[However, GameRant quoted the game's producer and project lead about the local mode, which is 1 v. 1 and will be "a lot more stalking and hiding in the ink." That sounds like a cagematch that could be transferred into TDM.]
Let's go to kickstarter and make a fucking game with voice chat exclusive to Wii U
Alright, here's my idea.

-Prohibition-era FPS.

-Black and white / grayscale visuals (with muted crimson blood).

-Main new multiplayer mode = Bootlegging. One team has a truck full of whiskey barrels and has to protect it, the other team is trying to jack it.

-Maps based on Depression-era Chicago and New York.

-Teams/clans are replaced by gangs.

-Weapons are ye old Thompson SMG, BAR, Colt Police Positive .38, etc.

Make it happen, internet.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Lately, I've been under the impression the reason why Nintendo hasn't embraced voice chat is because they want to implement cross-game chat through the system rather than an individual game basis.

Nintendo clearly has the technology and know-how to make it happen, and I doubt it would take many resources from Starbuck to get it right. From a hardware perspective, it shouldn't have any need for the DSP, or the main hardware. It should be theoretically possible on just the ARM core.

Lately, I've been under the impression the reason why Nintendo hasn't embraced voice chat is because they want to implement cross-game chat through the system rather than an individual game basis.

Nintendo clearly has the technology and know-how to make it happen, and I doubt it would take many resources from Starbuck to get it right. From a hardware perspective, it shouldn't have any need for the DSP, or the main hardware. It should be theoretically possible on just the ARM core.
As much as I'd like to believe that, it's probably just Nintendoing.

Odo

I hope you're right and I hope they're going to announce this on 2015's E3.

Imagine a voice (and video, let's dream) chat, cross-game, using GamePad.

Shoulder

I want to believe they're working on cross-game chat since Miyamoto said they're already working on the next major Wii U update, but part of me believes it's going to turn out to be something like "now it takes 15 seconds to access MiiVerse instead of 20 seconds".
The Quick-Start menu is pretty boss though. I think they have much more in store to keep the Wii U fresh and exciting, and I'm not just talking about games either.

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

People only want voice chat to banter like they do in local multi, I wonder if they understand that.

I think in nintendo's case they're more concerned about given players the tools to strategize and play the game.

EvilTw1n

People only want voice chat to banter like they do in local multi, I wonder if they understand that.
In part, yes (and that sort of banter is also fun; for a company that's all about fun, this should be a no-brainer).

But it's also strategy. Sometimes I'm playing MH and have to blurt out "hey, can someone pop some life powder before I faint for the third time?" Or I have to make a call out in COD that the sniper is on the third floor of the pink warehouse.

A competitive team-based multiplayer game is not either/or with banter or strategy. It's both.

Shoulder

It can, but nintendo's probably looking for the best way they think will facilitate that
As Mike. D said, you have to accommodate both ways of it. There's your usual bantering, which occurs most of the time, but then you have moments in MH or COD where we help each other out.

Sure, Nintendo is probably thinking of the best way to facilitate that, but if Nintendo thinks voice chat will be used for banter mostly, then they obviously know that's EXACTLY what people have done for years in local multiplayer. Like I've said in the past many times before, Nintendo wants to bring gamers together when playing online, and these days with gamers in the avg ages of around 25-45, most of everyone's friends have other lives, and thus their own systems to play games on. When playing online, it's only logical that voice chat be included.

I know Nintendo and logical don't go into the same sentence, but I see absolutely no reason at all to disclude voice chat in online games in this day and age, and I will fault Nintendo every step of the way for every game with online multiplayer that doesn't include voice chat.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
Alright, here's my idea.

-Prohibition-era FPS.

-Black and white / grayscale visuals (with muted crimson blood).

-Main new multiplayer mode = Bootlegging. One team has a truck full of whiskey barrels and has to protect it, the other team is trying to jack it.

-Maps based on Depression-era Chicago and New York.

-Teams/clans are replaced by gangs.

-Weapons are ye old Thompson SMG, BAR, Colt Police Positive .38, etc.

Make it happen, internet.

you'll like it.

GaemzDood

According to PlayerEssence, some Nintendo reps said there would be voice chat (probably someone at a booth at E3). But I'm more inclined to listen to the game's producer and project leader.

I almost understood Nintendo with MK8. Leave all of the technical details aside. Sure, COD may have 12 players in one match, but you're pretty much dealing with 6 vs. 6. It's easier to field conversation amongst 6 people, and harder when you have a dozen people all talking over each other at the same time. But Splatoon is 4 vs. 4, with maps that don't look like they're going to be Battlefield-sized. Voice chat makes sense, and it's certainly technologically possible.

Don't cock this up, Nintendo. This "we care more about local multiplayer interaction, and care about the kiddies online" schtick is really starting to piss me off. If Reggie has any sway in the company, this is is the time for him to step up and say "listen guys, it's different outside of Japan - people want this because not every location is as densely populated as Tokyo."
I'm sure they'll be saying that after those same kids hurl racist slurs at them.