Nintendo just had a Nintendo Direct??

the_randomizer

Since no one else made a thread about it, I'll do the honors :DThere was a Mario Kart 8 Nintendo Direct for both Nintendo of America and Nintendo of Europe, seemingly out of the blue, I'm watching it as we speak, but holy crap, they just hyped the game to utter insanity! Not only that, but they even revealed a bundle for NA as well as a free digital game download if you register Mario Kart 8 before July 31st, Europe has a choice between 10 games, while the US gets a choice of four games in which to download for free. Dayum Nintendo, this is just too awesome!

Source for free game download with Club Nintendo registration: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...b_nintendo_promotion_offers_a_free_wii_u_game

Source for Nintendo Direct: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._8_direct_shows_new_features_racers_and_items

YouTube links
NA

UE

What do you guys think about this unexpected Nintendo Direct and about Mario Kart 8?

I did not like that Direct.

I love the recent Nintendo Directs for Tomadochi and Smash, but this one was too weird.

I'm hyped for the game aleady anyway.
It was different and fun but it dragged on a little too long. That could have been boiled down to maybe 10-15 mins with the same style but faster pace. I like that they're trying something new. The effort was there but they missed the target a bit.

Ex-Actarus

It was different and fun but it dragged on a little too long. That could have been boiled down to maybe 10-15 mins with the same style but faster pace. I like that they're trying something new. The effort was there but they missed the target a bit.
I didn't get that Discovery Channel like vibe to it... That was weird !
I get it, it was meant to be hilarious, but it did not work for me at all. And indeed, it was too long.

I guess Nintendo is trying different types of Direct to see which ones work the best.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
The hype train is on!!

Also, yeah, I'm going to have to kinda agree with Ex. I liked the content they showed but the way they presented it wasn't quite the best and it dragged on a little bit too long for my tastes. I think I liked the video with the Reggie Fils-a-Mech a lot more and, of course, previous directs, such as the Super Smash Bros Direct

the_randomizer

This is how games should be advertised, maybe not done so flashily, but rather, showing that Nintendo actually cares and wants to attract people into buying their games. One thing's for certain, they've definitely attracted a lot of people, of that I've no doubt; throw in the bundles, download codes, yeah, it's insane and awesome if ya ask me,

DarkKevit

That old bloke from Crete...
This game looks better each time I see it, can't wait!!!

Once again NoE >>>>NoA with the free game promo
EU games list
  • Nintendo Land
  • New Super Mario Bros. U
  • Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Wii U version)
  • Game & Wario
  • Pikmin 3
  • The Wonderful 101
  • The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
  • Sonic Lost World (Wii U version)
  • Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games
  • Wii Party U

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I agree about Nintendo's charm.

I was thinking of one thing watching the MK Direct. They didn't even bother hiring voice actors for it, they seem to have basically just put some interns and other lowly excited employees to try their best at having an exciting voice. And in the end, it's still Iwata and Reggie giving the announcements each time. A PR consultant would probably advise them (and probably has already) to hire a celebrity or a quality voice actor to deliver the information and painful jokes of their Directs and hype videos, but they still think it's best to have the info come directly from their mouths.

It's not like Reggie is a very good speaker or anything. He's full of rhetoric, but he doesn't have the friendliness of a celebrity or voice actor, or the eccentricity of a tech visionary. He just helps run the company. And Iwata is an actual genius, not the Steve Jobs kind of "magical genius", but the Steve Wozniak kind of "work my ass off because shit needs to get done" genius. It's not so different from the way Menashe and Matt do announcements here in person instead of having some writer make up an inspiring sounding speech. I mean, I've tried to do the writing an inspiring speech part myself, but at the same time I just work here, it's not like I get paid for writing speeches.

Anyway, I like that aspect about Nintendo. They trust in the power of being forthcoming and delivering their own messages to their communities.

Hell of a lot better than reading a copy-paste PR mail on a gaming website, if you ask me.

EU games list
  • Nintendo Land
  • Game & Wario
  • Pikmin 3
  • The Wonderful 101
  • Wii Party U
Sweet. I wanted to play some Monster Hunter online with the TNE crew but never wanted to pay the asking price for a game I'm not sure about. Now I can get it for free. :)

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
Personally, I like the way the Direct was done. It was quirky, and in between sections of information it had the "Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy" segments where someone was lamenting how bad they were at Mario Kart. Also like the interspersed Mario Kart history section. Nostalgia galore there.
Instead of just talking, video, talking, video, talking, video, rinse, repeat - they changed it up and made each section different. Each time they switched to a different type of info, they way they presented it changed, and it made you take notice. I call it a win.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear

EU games list
  • Nintendo Land
  • Game & Wario
  • Pikmin 3
  • The Wonderful 101
  • Wii Party U
Now why NOA didn't provide the same line up of free games is beyond me. Sure, the list for the US include WWHD, NSMBU, Pikmin 3, and WPU, but here's the problem: I already have three of those games and Wii Party U I am not interested in, even for free. If I want a free game, at least provide one that I don't already have and have an interest in. For example, I would've liked to have Sonic Lost World fron the NOE list, since that's the really the only game from that list that I both, don't have and am interested in.

the_randomizer

Now why NOA didn't provide the same line up of free games is beyond me. Sure, the list for the US include WWHD, NSMBU, Pikmin 3, and WPU, but here's the problem: I already have three of those games and Wii Party U I am not interested in, even for free. If I want a free game, at least provide one that I don't already have and have an interest in. For example, I would've liked to have Sonic Lost World fron the NOE list, since that's the really the only game from that list that I both, don't have and am interested in.
It's typical NOA logic for sure, granted, I never owned Pikmin 3 as I have New Super Mario Bros U and Windwaker HD already, I too have no interest in Wii Party U. How big is the download for Pikmin 3 again? If it's too big, I might just sell the promo code or something.

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
I have all the free games except Wii Party U, which I would never pay full price for, but I'm not going to turn down a free game.
Like others have said, I wish we had the NoE list. There's more on that list that I don't have that I'd want.

hogge

To be honest, if Nintendo want to shift consoles, this might've just been the perfect solution. IF everyone would have access to it.
I think that making this type of flexible bundles could make the Wii U more interresting to a lot of people.

To be honest, at this point Nintendo should be making bat shit insane bundles. Games cost little to make even in physical form, so Nintendo could launch a bundle that contains Mario 3DW, NSMB, WW HD, Nintendoland in physical form, plus make the NES Remix games as well as Dr Luigi pre-installed on the console.

Ex-Actarus

I liked the Direct. It was weird and quirky. Hopefully they have more directs like this instead of Iwata standing there talking and they'll take this approach in marketing as well.
Yes I think Iwata needs to be less involved in the Directs.
And it's clearly been the case in the last 3 Directs.
Nintendo is apparently putting more emphasis on the developers.
I think it's great and it seems the Digital Event during E3 will have the same trend...

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
To be honest, if Nintendo want to shift consoles, this might've just been the perfect solution. IF everyone would have access to it.
I think that making this type of flexible bundles could make the Wii U more interresting to a lot of people.

To be honest, at this point Nintendo should be making bat shit insane bundles. Games cost little to make even in physical form, so Nintendo could launch a bundle that contains Mario 3DW, NSMB, WW HD, Nintendoland in physical form, plus make the NES Remix games as well as Dr Luigi pre-installed on the console.
But if they do that, how will they make money from selling those games? Not to mention, I don't think games included in bundles count towards it's sales, however I could be wrong on that and, if I am, please correct me

the_randomizer

I like the quirkiness, and how random it was at times but it definitely got my attention and hopefully will convince more people buy the bundle, which comes with a free game only for $330 in the US. The 32 GB model, Wii remote, Wii steering wheel, yeah that's one helluva deal if you ask me.

running_in_jam

Videogame Sound Designer and Composer
Looks like I'm finally getting Monster Hunter :D considering that game is £50 in the eshop I am pretty chuffed that nintendo would offer it for free. Will transfer my character from the 3ds and hopefully catch some games with you guys

Except I'll be playing mario kart for months so maybe not :p

Last edited:

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Looks like I'm finally getting Monster Hunter :D considering that game is £50 in the eshop I am pretty chuffed that nintendo would offer it for free. Will transer my character from the 3ds and hopefully catch some games with you guys

:mthumb::msrs:

Badass Jam. Like it or not, we're going to have to do some runs with you, especially now that we can broadcast your sexy personality on TNE TV!

the_randomizer

I already have SMBU and Zelda, not interested in Wii Party U at all, like, it doesn't interest me at all, how is Pikmin 3 by the way? I haven't played a Pikmin game in a very long time. Would you guys recommend getting that as a free game since it's part of the Mario Kart 8 deal?

Now with preordering, how much does Best Buy charge again? Is it like 5 dollars down then you pay the rest when it comes out? I haven't preordered a game in years lol.

The direct reminded me of a drunken reenactment of a robot chicken episode, but that segment about the music was great!
It was random, that's for sure, just like me :D I'm glad it wasn't like that other Nintendo Direct that was 90% 3DS-related lol.

Looks like I'm finally getting Monster Hunter :D considering that game is £50 in the eshop I am pretty chuffed that nintendo would offer it for free. Will transfer my character from the 3ds and hopefully catch some games with you guys

Looks like TNE GMT could be a thing haha or w/e we call it lmao. Cubits too (I think Cubits is from Europe somewhere :eek: )

That's actually not as insane as a suggestion price wise as it might sound to some people.

For the retail games, using Amazon's price, and digital games all of that would would come up to $456. That's 7 games and a Deluxe unit for $54 less than the Xbox One.

I'm actually not sure why Nintendo isn't doing this.

the_randomizer

ASuch

The Salt Master
I wish they had actually advertised that this Direct was coming. I was just reading the CT and you guys had a slight mention about a mario kart direct so I found it

otherwise I wouldn't have known that it happened