[Nintendo/Retro Studios] It Was Tough Choosing Between Metroid And DK

"It sounds like Retro could have been in charge of the next Metroid game, had the company not decided to pursue the new Donkey Kong game for Wii U.

According to Retro’s Michael Kelbaugh, the studio had a tough time deciding whether to go with Metroid or Donkey Kong. In the end, though, Retro felt they had unfinished business with Donkey Kong.

ONM’s Chandra Nair relayed the news:

Follow
ChandraONM‏@ChandraONM
ant: normal; line-height: 28px; font-size: 22px; margin: 0px; word-wrap: break-word; white-space: pre-wrap; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">Michael Kelbaugh (Retro) says that it was hard to decide whether to go with Metroid or not but they felt they had unfinished business w/ dk

https://twitter.com/ChandraONM/status/344518246973706241

http://nintendoeverything.com/124751/retro-says-it-was-tough-choosing-between-metroid-and-donkey-kong-but-had-unfinished-business/

They were considering Metroid!!!!

t-size: 11px; color: rgb(102, 102, 102); text-align: justify; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">

:)

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
My silver lining is something majico pointed out...if they're not doing Metroid, then SPD1 might get another crack at doing the Other M template, and improving upon it.

Still...I really hope that's not their only project. There are so many other Nintendo developers that can do 2D platformers.

My silver lining is something majico pointed out...if they're not doing Metroid, then SPD1 might get another crack at doing the Other M template, and improving upon it.

Still...I really hope that's not their only project. There are so many other Nintendo developers that can do 2D platformers.

Nintendo is the king of 2D platformers so I know what you mean. I'd welcome Another Other M with Retro working on another exciting project. :)

This fact plays into my point that its not like these games will never be coming. We're likely (We better) going to see a trailer within the coming months (early 2014 the latest). Unfortunate for the fans, but not entirely disappointing.
Anyway, anyone else click that "follow" button at the top? lol

DarkDepths

Your friendly neighbourhood robot overlord
There are so many other Nintendo developers that can do 2D platformers.
That's true, but there are so many other Nintendo developers that can do other kinds of games as well. Yes, Retro has made some pretty good games, but I don't think it's fair to the other studios to say "Man, let Retro work on something new and have one of the other studios work on the platformers." I don't think having Retro make Donkey Kong is a waste of a developer. I think it looks like a cool game, and it's cool coming from any developer. The problem for me is that after all this time, we've been led to believe that Retro's game was a really big, cool project. Maybe they have another, but that's where my disappointment stems from. I thought we were going to see something epic, and we didn't.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
While I can see why they went with Donkey Kong over Metroid, it's still disappointing as Retro Studios is supposed to be the kind of developer that creates games that Nintendo's other studios either can't or aren't allowed to

There are so many other Nintendo developers that can do 2D platformers.

That's true, but there are so many other Nintendo developers that can do other kinds of games as well. Yes, Retro has made some pretty good games, but I don't think it's fair to the other studios to say "Man, let Retro work on something new and have one of the other studios work on the platformers." I don't think having Retro make Donkey Kong is a waste of a developer. I think it looks like a cool game, and it's cool coming from any developer. The problem for me is that after all this time, we've been led to believe that Retro's game was a really big, cool project. Maybe they have another, but that's where my disappointment stems from. I thought we were going to see something epic, and we didn't.
I think the bigger problem than Retro making a platformer is the amount of platformers that Nintendo is making right now. We're a Kirby game away from every Nintendo Platforming star having a game or two in development :p

While I can see why they went with Donkey Kong over Metroid, it's still disappointing as Retro Studios is supposed to be the kind of developer that creates games that Nintendo's other studios either can't or aren't allowed to

^ Also this. Retro is seen as Nintendo's western dev that makes games that the rest of Nintendo couldn't. Even if that is a little unfair on the rest of Nintendo.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.

That's fair enough, and for DK fans, this is a big deal. But, like you, my heart was set on them doing a much bigger project. And, unfortunately, we have an answer to the bolded part:

We’re pretty much on one major project at a time. We do a game every two years or three years.
In the first year of that, we have some extra bandwidth, so sometimes… We helped out with Mario Kart 7. We helped Monster Games do the 3DS version. Sometimes we’ll have a little bit of extra bandwidth to help out other entities at Nintendo. We really feel strongly about helping out Nintendo as a whole, so if we have time, we’ll do that. Do we have the bandwidth to do two major projects at once? I don’t think so.
A big project and a little project at the same time, we can do that.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/13/e3-2013-nintendo-retro-discuss-future-of-metroid
It looks like Menashe's article on Retro may not be off-base.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Weither you think that article was true or not, PR or not. Retro says "it was hard choosing between DK and Metroid". And also "we had unfinished business with DK". Neither of them quotes from the company are in Menashe article.

Weither or not he's right can't really be proven cause all we have are the quotes to go on PR or not. And I'm my mind Retro said they had unfinished business with DK, well PR or not that's the quote.