[Nintendo][Rumor] Retro's Game To Be "A New Brand"

In the IGN Nintendo Voice Chat Peer Schneider has heard rumors that Retros Studios' new game is going to be "A new brand":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aCWFllBLhM
At about 24:24 he makes that statement.
Now the question is... What does that mean? A new IP or a brand that Nintendo hasn't worked on for awhile or just acquired.
Your thoughts?

A lot of people say he's rather reliable so I believe him

He was one of the founding members of IGN. Also, I think he revealed DKCR a couple of days before E3 2010.

More reliable than Rich "douchebag" George for sure ;)

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
Hope this is true. The more IP's Nintendo has the better, especially IP's from the west. Or if it's an IP Nintendo hasn't used in awhile that's good to, almost like I new IP.

GaemzDood

That confirms that it won't be a Mach Rider reboot.
I seriously have no idea what to expect from this. Oh well, I'll have to be patient.

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

*Please dont be first person**Please dont be first person**Please dont be first person**Please dont be first person**Please dont be first person**Please dont be first person**Please dont be first person**Please dont be first person**Please dont be first person**Please dont be first person**Please dont be first person**Please dont be first person**Please dont be first person**Please dont be first person**Please dont be first person**Please dont be first person**Please dont be first person**Please dont be first person**Please dont be first person**Please dont be first person**Please dont be first person**Please dont be first person**Please dont be first person**Please dont be first person**Please dont be first person**Please dont be first person**Please dont be first person**Please dont be first person**Please dont be first person**Please dont be first person**Please dont be first person**Please dont be first person**Please dont be first person**Please dont be first person**Please dont be first person**Please dont be first person**Please dont be first person**Please dont be first person**Please dont be first person**Please dont be first person**Please dont be first person**Please dont be first person**Please dont be first person**Please dont be first person*

Interesting to see what "new brand" means. Is that a new IP or an old IP like Mach Rider or Star Tropics that is so old it will basically be a new IP.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
I'm with you, @Laer_HeiSeiRyuu. But mainly because I just don't want Retro making a prosaic FPS.

...I mean, I'll still buy it, because it's Retro, but still. :p

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

Not really looking for Metroid Prime 4. I want something different they could try a different genre than exploration and platforming. AND MAKE IT NOT BE FIRST PERSON. Since they arent doing a dungeon crawler.

Nintendo has said they are trying to get back the "core gamer" market. If that's the case I think it could be an FPS with in depth online multiplayer. I do think Nintendo needs such a franchise but I'd also like to see what Retro could do with a 3rd person adventure game. Would be nice to see them expanded or for Nintendo to establish/buy more Western studios and increase the catalog of IPs.

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

Did you just say FPS and Core Gamer in the same sentence?

Hmph >_>

Nintendo going after the Dudebro is a fallacious enterprise. It wont succeed, EVER. Stigma's and people believing what's convenient for them,reality makes no difference . ZombiU is on the system already, Nintendo doesnt need to divert precious resources to that sort of shit. Work on RPGs, Work w/ Atlus & Sega give me more horror titles ( Like Shattered Memories) or make something psychologically mind numbing without all the gore and just scare the living shit... oh wait Im already making that game. LOL.

Not really looking for Metroid Prime 4. I want something different they could try a different genre than exploration and platforming. AND MAKE IT NOT BE FIRST PERSON. Since they arent doing a dungeon crawler.

Did you just say FPS and Core Gamer in the same sentence?

Mhm >_>
I'm almost positive Reggie himself alluded to getting the "core gamer" market back. Right or wrong, when someone says "core gamer" people will generally think CoD, Halo, Battlefield, whatever.

"Core gamer" probably isn't the right term to use. The real term would be "western males 16-30", but why does the terminology matter to people so much?. That is a market Nintendo doesn't have nearly as much success. What games sell well in that demographic? Halo, CoD, Battlefield. That segment grew up with N64, PS1, PS2, GC, Xbox, Wii, 360, PS3.....of those consoles the only Nintendo one that was a big hit was the Wii....which was seen as a gimmick/kiddie/"casual" console. Right or wrong the perception of Nintendo is they cater to kids and families.

They would be smart to have a franchises that cater to the West a bit more. That is a very large market with disposable income.

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

Dude Quote properly^

Nintendo has had games that cater to those audiences for years. THEY'VE BEEN THERE SINCE I WAS A KID. They don't do shit for them.

When you cater to people you ruin your business model and you ruin gaming development. For anything that needs an artisans touch you dont put it on the production line in a factory.

Dude Quote properly^

Nintendo has had games that cater to those audiences for years. THEY'VE BEEN THERE SINCE I WAS A KID. They don't do shit for them.

When you cater to people you ruin your business model and you ruin gaming development. For anything that needs an artisans touch you dont put it on the production line in a factory.

Quote properly = using the quote button.

Nowhere did I say you make some sort of standard, factory line produced shooter. They can create a great FPS that caters to the West(specifically having great online play) while having that Nintendo touch to it. There is no reason they can't.

They are not going to ruin their business model or game development by creating new IPs or reviving old franchises that might sell better in the west.

Again I said nothing about making some production line game like CoD is or like EA's sports franchises.

Starwars Battlefront? Not sure where you are going with that.

If the idea is to let 3rd parties make those games then I guess that is one option. However, 3rd party multiplats haven't sold well on Nintendo systems(compared to other consoles) and it doesn't seem 3rd parties are in any rush to bring multiplats to the Wii U, at least so far from what has been announced, things could change as the install base grows.

3rd party exclusives would be great as well. They are already doing that with Bayonetta 2, Sonic and Wonderful 101, but Nintendo has no ownership of those franchises.

I'd like to see them do what they did with Rare and establish some new IPs, except this time maintain control of those IPs. Rare created some great new IPs(and then Microsoft screwed everything up) and I think they sold fairly well in the US(I'm too lazy to post the European #s but I got the data of VGchartz):

Perfect Dark: 1.5+ million
Jet Force Gemini: 0.78+ million
Banjo-Kazooie: 1.8+ million
And then you also had:
Killer Instinct: 2.2+ million
Conker's Bad Fur Day: 0.5+ million
Banjo-Tooie: 0.8+ million

And they did a good job with some established Nintendo franchises/characters:
DK64: 3.3+ million
DK Racing: 2.9+ million

3 of those games are in genres Nintendo doesn't have much of a footing. FPS, 3rd person shooter, 2D Fighter.

I see no reason why Nintendo can't do that with Retro. Expand them, increase the funding and allow them to create new IPs while also working on established franchise/characters.

That is what "using the resources properly" means to me. Not hoping for dumbed down 3rd party multiplats like the Wii U got at launch.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I would be game for Retro expanding and making multiple games at the same time. I think they are actually in the position to do that right now, but Nintendo has that added manpower helping EAD on stuff like Mario Kart and bringing DKCR to the 3DS, for some reason.
I do think Retro could make a really good FPS, but I don't want them to. I WOULD love a first-person game, but I rather it be an FPSRPG or FPAdventure, rather than a straight shooter. FPSRPG would probably be my preferred style, if it turns out anything like Deus Ex HR or STALKER.
Most of all, I'm hoping this "new brand" rumor is true, because I don't want to see Retro held back in their storytelling by having to use some silly old Nintendo character. Even using the Metroid franchise seemed to hold back their storytelling ability, and Nintendo don't have any franchise less restrictive than Metroid, in my opinion. Even Zelda would have to remain fairly child-friendly, whereas Retro was already doing some mature themes in the Metroid Primes.

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

I dont like Skyrim and I dont like Mass Effect but I like Deus Ex(because its a stealthty game) When it comes to shooters it has to be 3rd person for me. (Unless its Kid Icarus/Metroid/Survival Horror)

What point is there mate? Your presumed facts are wrong so you're approaching your premise from an incorrect junction. You cant communicate an idea like that.

I dont like Skyrim and I dont like Mass Effect but I like Deus Ex(because its a stealthty game) When it comes to shooters it has to be 3rd person for me. (Unless its Kid Icarus/Metroid/Survival Horror)

What point is there mate? Your presumed facts are wrong so you're approaching your premise from an incorrect junction. You cant communicate an idea like that.
The point I'm making is that while Bayonetta 2, W101, and Sonic Lost World are exclusive titles those IPs aren't Nintendo exclusives so there is nothing stopping those companies from making the next iteration a multiplat or making a new game with those IPs on a different console.
My other point was they have taken risks with new IPs and made games in genres they typically don't make games for(Killer Instinct, Goldeneye/Perfect Dark, Eternal Darkness, Jet Force Gemini) and had success with those franchises. The issue with those titles was that they didn't own the IPs. Rare did.
I believe with Retro being first party any IPs developed would be Nintendo IPs. That is my point. Nintendo can do what they did with Rare in allowing Retro to not only develop new franchises but take on established ones, or reinvent old ones(Star Tropics/Mach Rider) and try to add more western appealing titles to their catalog.

I think Nintendo needs to let Retro have the same liberties that Rare once had. They have let them develop more than one game...
Wait... didn't Retro hire more people from different studios thus making it a bigger company?
What if they're developing more than one game?

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

The point I'm making is that while Bayonetta 2, W101, and Sonic Lost World are exclusive titles those IPs aren't Nintendo exclusives so there is nothing stopping those companies from making the next iteration a multiplat or making a new game with those IPs on a different console.
My other point was they have taken risks with new IPs and made games in genres they typically don't make games for(Killer Instinct, Goldeneye/Perfect Dark, Eternal Darkness, Jet Force Gemini) and had success with those franchises. The issue with those titles was that they didn't own the IPs. Rare did.
I believe with Retro being first party any IPs developed would be Nintendo IPs. That is my point. Nintendo can do what they did with Rare in allowing Retro to not only develop new franchises but take on established ones, or reinvent old ones(Star Tropics/Mach Rider) and try to add more western appealing titles to their catalog.
That sounds great man, but eh..... I want Retro do something fantasy right now. But when it comes to adding western appealing titles I only got one thing to say

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I know at least one person who won't be calling it new.
Dammit, that's the most cryptic post of yours yet. Guess that means it's not an entirely new IP. It also rules out Metroid and Donkey Kong, and other fairly popular Nintendo franchises. It leaves only the very obscure Nintendo franchises open, like Star Tropics.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
OH OH OH, remember that space game that was teased a long time ago, but nothing ver came out of it?
I can't find that stuff now, but it was something like some astronaut on some space station or something like that. It looked like you were repairing the space station. We just never knew more about it.

OH OH OH, remember that space game that was teased a long time ago, but nothing ver came out of it?
I can't find that stuff now, but it was something like some astronaut on some space station or something like that. It looked like you were repairing the space station. We just never knew more about it.

I really don't remember that... What year was it?

@DarkDephts

I forgot about Project H.A.M.M.E.R Who was developing that originally?

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.

I really don't remember that... What year was it?
Three or four years ago, it's fairly old.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Waitaminute, "a new brand', but also "at least one person...won't be calling it new"? And it's "something everyone wants them to make"?

Are we talking about Raven Blade here?

I'd be cool with that.

...But Retro hated Raven Blade didn't they? Or some of the staff did anyway.
In my mind, Retro's new game is either a new IP, F-Zero, Star Fox or Star Tropics. If it's not one of them then I'll buy a hat and eat it. Also worth noting is that some think they're onto 2 projects, a big and smaller scale one.

DarkDepths

Your friendly neighbourhood robot overlord
You forgot about Project H.A.M.M.E.R? It was one of the games that sold me on the Wii! If only they would have actually sold me the game... I think it was being made by Nintendo Software Technology in Redmond. I won't swear to that though. I really want that game to come back, and the WiiU would be great for it! More power for more destructible stuff!

You forgot about Project H.A.M.M.E.R? It was one of the games that sold me on the Wii! If only they would have actually sold me the game... I think it was being made by Nintendo Software Technology in Redmond. I won't swear to that though. I really want that game to come back, and the WiiU would be great for it! More power for more destructible stuff!
That game really looked great on the Wii, now imagine it on Wii U =P~

EvilTw1n

I know at least one person who won't be calling it new.
Dammit, that's the most cryptic post of yours yet. Guess that means it's not an entirely new IP. It also rules out Metroid and Donkey Kong, and other fairly popular Nintendo franchises. It leaves only the very obscure Nintendo franchises open, like Star Tropics.
The plot thickens...

But who is this one person?

running_in_jam

Videogame Sound Designer and Composer
I'm sure multiple sources have indicated that it's set in the near future or future, so I'm reluctant to believe that it's Raven Blade (too fantasy/old?).

I think I saw somebody suggest the other day that it could be Geist, which was a pretty cool concept originally even if the game wasn't perfect.

However I don't think it's Geist. In fact, I don't have a clue what it might be :p I think I would like to see a new IP, though.

Oh but hang on, they did hire an artist who did some pretty amazing monster artwork, didn't they? So...maybe it is Raven Blade! :s

EvilTw1n

If it's Raven Blade, it's probably Raven Blade in name only. Not only because the game assets stopped being worked on in 2000 or 2001 (and we're talking early spec GC assets). But because the President of Retro Studios thinks it was "absolutely horrible."
http://www.ign.com/articles/2009/08/29/a-space-bounty-hunter-in-texas?page=4

A part of me still thinks that Nintendo wants Retro on an FPS. And they could get away with a Metroid universe FPS that fulfills all the sci-fi themes Retro does well, without tying it down to having to be about Samus.

If it ends up that they're making another DKC, well...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/skohayes/political%20stuff/Ihazasad.jpg

running_in_jam

Videogame Sound Designer and Composer
A part of me still thinks that Nintendo wants Retro on an FPS. And they could get away with a Metroid universe FPS that fulfills all the sci-fi themes Retro does well, without tying it down to having to be about Samus.
I would buy that so hard.

EvilTw1n

^
So would I, man. It wouldn't be my first choice for Retro, but if they make a sci-fi FPS centered on the GFeds? Hell yes I'd buy that.

Cubits

^
So would I, man. It wouldn't be my first choice for Retro, but if they make a sci-fi FPS centered on the GFeds? Hell yes I'd buy that.
http://www.gamespek.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/remembahme.jpg