[NINTENDO] Shadow of the Eternals (a.k.a Eternal Darkness II)

running_in_jam

Videogame Sound Designer and Composer
I'm surprised nobody's jumped on this yet!

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/34099

- coming to Wii U (and PC) in Q3 2014

- this is as long as crowdfunding comes thorugh

- Precursor Games is a company formed after the death of Silicon Knights

- game will be episodic

- current goal is to make a season of 12 playable episodes

- each will focus on at least one playable character

- roughly two-to-four hours of gameplay in each episode

- will bring back the combat, magick, and sanity event mechanics from Eternal Darkness

- funding goal is $1.1 million

- Kickstarter will not be used

- donate to become a member of the “Order of the Unseen”

- get access to the development forums and interact with the team

- other rewards include copies of episodes of the game, posters, Skype
calls with a developer, and creating your own sanity effect

- story follows detective Paul Becker as he investigates a brutal massacre in Louisiana that left two cults decimated

- Becker ends up learning of the Eternals

- follows a similar path as Eternal Darknes

- jump between different characters across 2,500 years of history

- regions ranging from the United States and England to Egypt and Hungary

And a teaser trailer:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/05/03/shadow-of-the-eternals-teaser-trailer

People seem to be freaking out because Dyack is supposedly still involved, and that because it is basically Eternal Darkness II, if he's gone behind Nintendo's back so-to-speak, he could be in some hot legal water.

First ever news post from Jam - hope you like it please rate comment subscribe :)>-

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
that's awesome news! i wonder why they aren't doing it through kickstart though.. seems like a no-brainer. they'd have the game funded in a week.

running_in_jam

ahh that makes sense. that's a great looking trailer, too. they've got some nice lighting going.
Yeah I thought it looked fantastic! I definitely thought some locations were reminiscent of ED1, and I've seen others posters say similar things....if they're somehow connected, that would be really cool.

The full reveal is apparently on Monday/Tuesday so we've got that to look forward to!

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
Looks pretty cool, but I don't know how I feel about episodic content. I'm interested to learn more for sure.
The original Eternal Darkness could have been broken up into episodic content similar to what they are describing for this new game.... In fact the way ET was set up makes it a perfect candidate for the episodic treatment imo since the original was basically broke up into episodic chapters anyway.... I'm not a big fan of this method either, but when done correctly, like in say Walking Dead, it can work wonderfully....

Cyan

Bug bump!
Hey! That's my saying. Get your own, like... error erect... actually, I'm taking that one, you keep "bug bump." :p

Edit: hope this game is done right, I hear nothing but good things about ED:SR.

Goodtwin

I am so jacked up right now. I loved ED, and cant wait for this game. Are we sure Dennis Dyak is still involved? I heard he was kind of an ass, and a lot of people didnt like working under him.

Goodtwin

I am assuming this is going to be all digital? It sounds like they are going to release one episode at a time, with each being 2-4 hours long. Am I correct on this or am I confused? If so, its exactly the right move for these guys. ED was sort of a niche game even back with the support from Nintendo. I would love to see more and more of these medium sized independent developers embrace the digital distribution. If there were 12 episodes at $10 an episode, think about how much revenue that would be even if only a hundred thousands people bought them all. I am just hoping they dont over extend themselves. I would be perfectly fine with ED level graphics in HD, so do go and ruin the game trying to push the envelope in the graphics department.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
"Bug Bump" is the new official catchphrase for starting a thread? Yes?
Can somebody make an official gif for that?
I'm really excited for this game. I'm sort of repressing it, just because it's hard to believe we are actually getting an Eternal Darkness (spiritual) sequel, but this could end up hyping me a ton as we get closer to its release. I was secretly hoping a new Eternal Darkness would be developed by Retro Studios, but I guess there's no better people to make it than members of the original team (if the rumors are true).

"Bug Bump" is the new official catchphrase for starting a thread?
Lol not really, it's because of this: http://nintendoenthusiast.com/forums/discussion/comment/16120#Comment_16120

I usually say: "Why I posted twice" with a hyperlink to that post.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
"Bug Bump" is the new official catchphrase for starting a thread?
Lol not really, it's because of this: http://nintendoenthusiast.com/forums/discussion/comment/16120#Comment_16120

I usually say: "Why I posted twice" with a hyperlink to that post.
I know what it is, I'm just saying that it should become a legit catchphrase. Everybody knows why threads are self-bumped initially at this point, might as well make it a cool thing.
"It's not a bug; it's a feature."

2 months after launch: "It's been 2 months already and Nintendo hasn't announced ANY of their big titles! Nintendo has failed to impress their fans once again. Not good Nintendo."
A couple weeks later: "OMG 3D MARIO, SSB4, and MARIO KART U AT E3! OMG IS THAT XENOBLADE WII U?! HYYYYYPE!!"
3 months later: "Man it's been about 5 months now and Nintendo hasn't shown us anything to be excited for. Wii U is going to be the GameCube at most"
A couple days later: "ETERNAL DARKNESS 2? 3D MARIO IN OCTOBER?!?! YES OMG NINTENDO THIS IS GOOD! HYYYYYYYPE"

[hr]
Internet's gonna Internet.

Now, as any Wii U exclusive (in this case: console exclusive... for now) people are wondering if the footage is from the Wii U or PC... yes, graphics... :(

Especially that lava scene looks awesome! :D and I think the Wii U is perfectly capable of doing that.

So, what do you think? Wii U or PC?

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
Now, as any Wii U exclusive (in this case: console exclusive... for now) people are wondering if the footage is from the Wii U or PC... yes, graphics... :(

Especially that lava scene looks awesome! :D and I think the Wii U is perfectly capable of doing that.

PC but I think the Wii U can duplicate that without a problem....

running_in_jam

I just found out that Dyack is involved...my hype has been lowered...

Yeah, supposedly he's only the Creative Director (or something similarly titled) rather than CEO (i.e in charge of the money).

BUT there is genuine concern over patents owned by Nintendo and the uncanny similarity to Eternal Darkness, which I believe is partly owned by Nintendo. Also, Dyack owes Epic a lot of money, and only really has Eternal Darkness as a claim to fame. Everything he's made since then has not been that great.

So what I'm saying, is that Super, I agree - it's a little worrying! If Nintendo were involved in development, we could at least be assured of that they would maintain quality control.

Anyway, it's Monday now, so let's see what happens! :D

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
I have to be that guy who disagrees yet again.... Without Dyack this wouldn't be anything like ET at all....

I happen to like Too Human as well as ET....

Without his involvement I wouldn't be as excited to see wtf this game will be like....

In fact him being directly involved pretty much assures I'm going to buy this on day 1....

running_in_jam

Yeah...you have a good point. I guess I'm just looking at it from the pessimistic angle :p And truth be told, my comment on his lack of quality titles recently...well I haven't played them personally, so perhaps it was a little unfair for me to say that!

However, I agree that this game has a definite possibility to be something pretty special!

Btw, there is a timer on their website: http://www.shadowoftheeternals.com/

Gameplay will be show in just over half an hour :)

Goodtwin

I just made my pledge. I went with the $25 option, that was the most I could see spending just to support a game.

After reading the article about the developer doing Wasteland 2 and Tides of Numenera using the Unity engine to get the game developed within the budget, it made me think about Shadows of the Eternals. Its exactly the same approach that Precursor games needs to take. By using Unity to power Shadows of the Eternals, they could drastically reduce the amount of work on their own shoulders. Not only for the game engine itself, but the asset store could be very useful for the less interesting art. Do you really want your artist working on textures for bricks, stones, sand, when they could be focusing on the art that will really make up the atmosphere. Basically, they are going to need to need to learn to make use of some pre-made assets in order to get this game off the ground.

There is part of me that thinks this game is farther along than we even realize. The entire time SK was developing X-Men Destiny, they were working on Eternal Darkness 2, or now Shadows of the Eternals.

Dennis Dyak is not the CEO, so he's not calling all the shots at Precursor Games like he was at SK. Thats a good thing. Let him stay focused on the game and story development, and less on the business side of things.

PC but I think the Wii U can duplicate that without a problem....

There's gameplay footage at IGN and it appears to be running on Wii U... or at least some Neogaf members are saying.

Sorry for not providing a link because I'm writing this from my Wii... :p

Goodtwin

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/05/06/9-minutes-of-shadow-of-the-eternals
I see cryengine is finally being put to good use on the Wii U.
Impressive that they are using the Cry engine. I just did a quick search, the Cry Engine 3 engine cost 1.2 million dollars to license outright. I have a feeling that the majority of the crowdfunding is going towards the Cryengine cost.

Goodtwin

Dyack has made some bold statements over the years, and a lot of people didnt like his "its my way or the highway" attitude. He is not the CEO at precursor games, so he is not in complete control like he was at SK. The fact that they are using the Cry Engine 3 instead of an inexpensive engine like Unity makes me think they may struggle to get this game completed. They obviously want to have a technically impressive game, but that has significant cost associated with hit. Unit would have been free on Wii U where the Cry engine 3 cost about 1.2 million to license. Dont get me wrong, I would love for this game to be impressive on all levels, but I would rather have Unity level graphics and get the complete game versus them falling well short of their crowd funding goal and not getting the game at all. Their team is less than 10 guys, why a 1.5 million goal for the first episode? I really think its for the Crytek engine. My other question is will they try to Crowd fund every episode? Shouldnt sales from the first episode fund future episodes. I am skeptical at this point, but my love for Eternal Darkness still has me optimistic.

running_in_jam

@Goodtwin yeah, you got it bang on. I was reading on GAF that Precursor stated that the cost was so high because of the costs of the engine. So actually, the cost for further episodes won't be anywhere near as high.

So here's the interview between IGN and Denis Dyack, posted today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkKy7huvVp0

This actually restored some faith in me. However, it's been 1 whole day and they've only raised $100,000 with around 1600 backers. That's a lot of money, sure, but crowd-funding (as far as I'm aware..) usually gets the majority of their pledges in the first day or couple of days. So, it's concerning.

I'd actually like to hear @Menashe 's opinion. Do you think they stand a chance of success with such a high goal? I think that if they get, say, $600,000 they might try and look to a publisher for the rest of the money. Which I imagine would make some people pretty mad.

Posting their website again for reference: http://www.precursorgames.com/shadowoftheeternals/

Goodtwin

Yea, I have little faith they are going to make it. Things are starting to slow down pretty quickly already. They had about 80k yesterday, and are only at 102k right now. My advice to them if they really want to create this game is to scrap the Cryengine for the Unity engine. I could see them raising 250k for the pilot episode, and then if that's selling well they could then use the cash created by selling the pilot episode on Steam and the eshop to create the rest of the game on the Cryengine if they are so inclined to do that. Personally, I feel they should just use the Unity engine and go that route rather than no game at all. It does seem like their eggs are all in this basket, so what will they do if this game falls through?

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
It does seem like their eggs are all in this basket, so what will they do if this game falls through?
Probably blame the fans and go on a destructive tirade on message forums. As usual =P

Ex-Actarus

I will support the game.
It's not everyday that we have a Wii U exclusive ( at least on console ).
Besides that's a sequel to a classic.

Goodtwin

I will be interested to hear what their plans are when they come up way short of their goal. After the first two days they are at 115k, there is no way they are making it anywhere close to their 1.5 million goal. I would guess that they will end up at around 250k. For an Indie studio that should be plenty to get your game off the ground, but they are still trying to create Shadow of the Eternals using the AAA forumula, which I knew from the start would almost certainly doom the project.

Goodtwin

Those are concerns with Kickstarter as well. There is no guarantee that the developer will keep their promises. The thing with Precursor games, they may hold on to everyones money until they have exhausted all their resources on trying to come up with the cash. For example, say they work out something with Kickstarter. They would probably hold onto the crowdfunding cash until the kickstarter was over. I pledged $25, and I wouldnt recommend anyone to do more than that. To be honest, even with the 1.5 million goal, you only guaranteed the pilot episode, which will be sold for $5. In my opinion, a brand new Indie developer looking for 1.5 million for the first episode of a game that really only had a cult following was unrealistic. I love Eternal Darkness, so the $25 gamble made sense for myself, but I am very skeptical of the game getting produced, and getting refunded will probably be a slow process. You would think that if your starting up a new company you would have access to adequate funding to get your first project off the ground, but they seem to have banked on this crowd funding process to go really well.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
I kind of look at it like if you decide to invest early in helping someone get a game made through kickstarter or other means you are taking a huge risk that game may never happen.... So hopefully this finds funding elsewhere if needed, perhaps a pub that gets interested....