Nintendo Switch - Official Thread

What we would want to happen: Trilogy Pack with All DLC releases on all consoles
What would happen: Dark Souls 3 port for Switch at full price, Trilogy Pack $30 dollars for other consoles
What is actually going to happen: Trilogy Pack will release on other consoles

I expected this whole "wait and see how it does first" approach, but I had hoped to be wrong. Hopefully Nintendo can deliver so these chucklefucks can get to work.

Koenig

The Architect
What we would want to happen: Trilogy Pack with All DLC releases on all consoles
What would happen: Dark Souls 3 port for Switch at full price, Trilogy Pack $30 dollars for other consoles
What is actually going to happen: Trilogy Pack will release on other consoles

I expected this whole "wait and see how it does first" approach, but I had hoped to be wrong. Hopefully Nintendo can deliver so these chucklefucks can get to work.
SMH because it is true. I hope to do God they don't pull the same shit that EA did with Mass effect on Wii U.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
SMH because it is true. I hope to do God they don't pull the same shit that EA did with Mass effect on Wii U.
yeah, pretty much what i was thinking...

there seem to be like 3 business models for 3rd parties on nintendo systems

1. the one we are talking about here
2. a late port, somehow late multiplat, or rarely ontime multiplat with all the DLC but a gimped or non existent online mode, including no additional dlc... all running at a price that is absurd compared to what the other consoles' gamers have to pay.
3. Capcom's "test" model... where they give us scraps that nobody wanted and call it a test so that the hardcore fans feel obligated to get it even though they don't want it.

Cubits

Long term game data security is a pointless way to design your hardware. It really doesn't matter if a blu-ray, kept in pristine condition, will last longer than a cart.

The cart will last long enough. My N64 carts are twenty years old and still work. My SNES carts are twenty five. Will i be hankering to play snake rattle 'n roll in my retirement? It's unlikely, and if i do there will be other ways (like streaming).

There are several reasons why carts are more effective for modern systems, and especially portable ones. In terms of durability, short-term is far more important, and a blu-ray disc doesn't stand a chance against a five year old.

Gamestop will have to find some other kind of insurance to spruik once scratches are no longer fair game.

Goodtwin

Looks like THQ Nordic acquired the Sphinx IP with Switch being the primary audience. It will likely be an HD remaster like Legend of Kay, but another third party game none the less. This was a very good game back when 3D adventure games were top dog. If it's a bargain price like Legend of Kay and more recently Darksiders Warmastered, I would be game for playing Sphinx in HD.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Koenig

The Architect
Looks like THQ Nordic acquired the Sphinx IP with Switch being the primary audience. It will likely be an HD remaster like Legend of Kay, but another third party game none the less. This was a very good game back when 3D adventure games were top dog. If it's a bargain price like Legend of Kay and more recently Darksiders Warmastered, I would be game for playing Sphinx in HD.

Sent from my SM-G360V using genital warts
If Nordic would somehow put out a new game I might care about them again; as is it seems like they are just wearing the skin of renown but dead company. As is, have the really released anything other than ports of existing IP?

Goodtwin

If Nordic would somehow put out a new game I might care about them again; as is it seems like they are just wearing the skin of renown but dead company. As is, have the really released anything other than ports of existing IP?
I think they are trying to grow their business with low budget low risk opportunities provided by their aquasition of IP's. I am thankful to see this, as it's a shame to see them have no chance at new life. A game like DarkSiders deserves a final chapter, and without THQ Nordic, this wasn't going to happen. I do believe they are ramping up enthusiasm for these games with the remasters, and will gauge popularity to see which ones are viable for new games. I think DarkSiders 3 could be announced as a Switch exclusive. It's just a hunch, but I do think Nintendo will look for opportunities to broaden the target audience for Switch.

Koenig

The Architect
I think they are trying to grow their business with low budget low risk opportunities provided by their aquasition of IP's. I am thankful to see this, as it's a shame to see them have no chance at new life. A game like DarkSiders deserves a final chapter, and without THQ Nordic, this wasn't going to happen. I do believe they are ramping up enthusiasm for these games with the remasters, and will gauge popularity to see which ones are viable for new games. I think DarkSiders 3 could be announced as a Switch exclusive. It's just a hunch, but I do think Nintendo will look for opportunities to broaden the target audience for Switch.

Sent from my SM-G360V using genital warts
Perhaps, however I am still very skeptical of the company at this point.

Goodtwin

So we have been primarily hearing about games that are very much console style games, but what games are you guys hoping to see early in for Switch that have primarily been strictly portable games over the years? 3DS and the DS before it have enormous libraries, and most of the games are not offered on consoles. Switch is unifying the library going forward, so what be it? I already know this crowd has a hunger for Monster Hunter, but there must a wide variety of games your lookin to see on Switch.

Koenig

The Architect
So we have been primarily hearing about games that are very much console style games, but what games are you guys hoping to see early in for Switch that have primarily been strictly portable games over the years? 3DS and the DS before it have enormous libraries, and most of the games are not offered on consoles. Switch is unifying the library going forward, so what be it? I already know this crowd has a hunger for Monster Hunter, but there must a wide variety of games your lookin to see on Switch.
Pokemon.

Koenig

The Architect
In all seriousness, I am looking forward to seeing virtually EVERY game series from the GBA/DS/3DS get full 3D renditions. The only exceptions are those that stuck with strictly with 2D sprites, as they tend to age much better and gain little from 3D unless they go all out.

Pokemon goes without saying. As does Fire Emblem at this point.
Gonna need Ace Attorney.
TRAUMA CENTER (granted, the best ones were on Wii but idc, needs to return)
Rhythm Heaven
Advance Wars
Starfy
Nintendogs + Cats (+Birds)
Castlevania (lolKonami)
non-Persona SMT games
Harvest Moon
Rune Factory
Mario & Luigi
Elite Beat Agents (Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan respectively)
Picross
In all seriousness, I am looking forward to seeing virtually EVERY game series from the GBA/DS/3DS get full 3D renditions. The only exceptions are those that stuck with strictly with 2D sprites, as they tend to age much better and gain little from 3D unless they go all out.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I don't know if this is sad or good but I don't know outside of MH that I'm into a handheld series, and I've had a portable since GBA.

Just lookin thru Frieda list I don't see one thing I care about comin over. And the only one o would remotely wanna try from his list is Rythem Heaven on a console.

I never knew this all about myself until your question. I don't know if I'm disappointed in myself, or just terribly indifferent.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Ok guys I do have a series that I think could really move Switch, and has been moving Nintendo portables for generations.

The portable series I wanna see make it on Switch is Tetris series. I LOVED Tetris DS it is my favorite to this day. And Nintendo has been using this franchise since the GB Brick.

Switch is shown about half way through! Zelda looks great on it and seems to be running much, much better than in previous videos.
Hard to tell for me, didnt look that much flashier, maybe its running better though. You can really hear the fan when its docked!
Nice surprise, but there's probably something to positioning it next to Mario Run.

Another question to bring up again as we near the reveal date, and will probably be discussed again when the official release date drops and probably has already been mentioned before the trailer was shown:

Is, effectively, 2 months plus change enough time to market the Switch for launch?
I tried likening it to other product launches, but I dont know if that's the right approach. With things like smartphones and iphones, they are often revealed one week and released the next. Movies and digital releases have a few months, music normally get less promotion. Very small amount of time needed there but success is still highly likely. The revenue streams and size of the consumer base are vastly different from the console market, obviously, but I still, I think there's some shared ideas. A lot of it has to do with branding, something Nintendo is starting to ramp up as well. Pokemon Go helped, the NES Classic helped, the Super Mario Run will help, the theme parks will help, the TV will help, the movies will help.

I think Nintendo's approach has been shady, and not in a malevolent way. Officially, the only news we ever really got about the Switch was its codename last year, the reveal trailer in October, and now this Jimmy Fallon surprise demonstration. Based on what I've seen anecdotally and on market and retail analysis, there's a good amount of public excitement for the Switch. Can it all be thanks to those first two showings? The reveal was really well done, but enough to hold the interest of the players who would spread the word? Idk about that...

*clears throat*
*adjusts :msrs:*
Unofficially, Nintendo is playing 4D chess on a 3D chessboard with an audience that only understands 2D chess rules.
Tossing out an example here.
This is something I believe @simplyTravis brought up back when the first legitimate leaks from Eurogamer were dropped. I believe Nintendo has had a strong hand in every single leak from Eurogamer to Laura Kate Dale. Much like my newsfu Megyn Kelly, I struggled to understand why. For one, I think they don't entirely trust the games journalism medium to deliver messages for them anymore. Despite Wii U's failure being mostly on their shoulders, Nintendo could also shoulder some blame onto news sites that enhanced the confusion of it all. The other reason is due to how people discuss and take in news over leaks in this industry. A tiny rumored tidbit about the NX's hardware or system features drops and it engages the entire community. There's no real facts for anyone have a firm grasp on, everyone is entitled to their own special viewpoint and tirade of speculation. This leads to heated, hearty discussion that sticks harder to everyone's souls. They've created haters in the process but also fanatics who will go on to spread the word around to their normie friends and family. This is not uncommon in media, same thing happens with movies and music.

That's how I've read this all at least. Tough to say if this would have happened had they released all the news at summer when this all began. I think thats where the hole in this crackpot theory lies, why the facade? Its a very strange pre-marketing strategy, but one I'm convinced is manufactured. We've been engaged in NX, now Switch, speculation/arguments/discussions for half a year now. Its been a lively dread, and come January all they offer is relief.

So, is 2 months enough time? Maybe for the console itself, since they've done a lot of prep work, but software might be a tougher sell depending on who is selling their wares in March.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear

Switch is shown about half way through! Zelda looks great on it and seems to be running much, much better than in previous videos.
That Mario Samurai t-shirt that Shaggy was wearing was...I WANT THAT IN MY LIFE!!!

I also noticed that Bill Trinen was sitting right next to Shiggy as well, and yes, it does appear to run pretty smoothly in the video. The reason why the footage in the reveal trailer felt choppy might've been due to post-production reasons since they were overlaying the footage to the screen of the Switch.

Btw, I can't wait to get Super Mario Run. It'll be my go to for my #2's. :mthumb:

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
That Mario Samurai t-shirt that Shaggy was wearing was...I WANT THAT IN MY LIFE!!!

I also noticed that Bill Trinen was sitting right next to Shiggy as well, and yes, it does appear to run pretty smoothly in the video. The reason why the footage in the reveal trailer felt choppy might've been due to post-production reasons since they were overlaying the footage to the screen of the Switch.

Btw, I can't wait to get Super Mario Run. It'll be my go to for my #2's. :mthumb:
it looks a bit smoother than the wii u version

few things. Yes, it does look to run better. That explosion was there just to show that off. Also those triggers dont look analog to me. USB-C clearly seen, very nice. He switched from Pro Controller to handheld mode very easily, seems like you dont even need to do anything to change control schemes. The switching itself is legit fast, all he had to do was confirm, it looks like.

Now, theory. Did anyone hear that Nintendo's capturing of Zelda BoTW gameplay footage is just a bit hazier than what is reported by people who played the game in person on a TV? It could be due to the TV settings, but the capture is just a bit hazier, brighter and washed out compared to off-screen gameplay and trailer footage. Why cant they capture gameplay that looks as good as the trailers?

I believe its to subtlety prepare people for how the game will look on the Switch screen. Its probably due to the camera and studio lighting and tv settings, but the Switch gameplay of Zelda looks a hell of a lot brighter and less vibrant than the TV gameplay.

Oh, Zelda being shown off on Switch makes me wonder if the rumors of it not being a launch title are completely inaccurate. It'd be weird to showcase it as a front and center piece of software and not have it available at launch, but entirely possible.

Last edited:

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
When we were at Disney this weekend, my brother-in-law had on a Zelda hoodie. You would not believe how many conversations this started, from random strangers, while waiting in line for rides about the Switch. Teens, 20s, 30s/40s, black, white, hispanic.
Conversations all went:
People: "I love your hoodie!"
Mike: "thanks!"
People: "Are you getting the Switch? That things looks amazing! I'm definitely getting one." And then there were comments about getting more than one for a family.

I would say over the course of 6 hours at the Magic Kingdom, we had this same conversation 15-20 times.

sjmartin79

Portable games I'm most excited about:

Pokemon, of course.
Mario & Luigi
But most of all, I still want more 2D Zelda games like A Link Between Worlds. I fully support further Zelda games like that, as well as the BotW-type Zelda games.

Koenig

The Architect
*clears throat*
*adjusts :msrs:*
Unofficially, Nintendo is playing 4D chess on a 3D chessboard with an audience that only understands 2D chess rules.
.... I believe Nintendo has had a strong hand in every single leak from Eurogamer to Laura Kate Dale. Much like my newsfu Megyn Kelly.
I think you are giving Nintendo too much credit. I have hard time seeing Nintendo being this devious in terms of marketing when they are historically completely out of the loop.

Odo

Pokemon

Pokemon and everything else.

About my personal hope besides Pokemon:

Pokemon
Fire Emblem
Monster Hunter
Yokai Watch
Pokemon

I think you are giving Nintendo too much credit. I have hard time seeing Nintendo being this devious in terms of marketing when they are historically completely out of the loop.
Possibly, I am very much a fanatic after all.
In defense, I'll say that Wii U is a disaster, without a doubt, but Wii was just the previous generation and it was one of the most smartly marketed products in the history of the industry. Things have drastically changed up since launch, they have it within them to do something like this at this point. Long shot for sure, but its not all that different from viral marketing.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Possibly, I am very much a fanatic after all.
In defense, I'll say that Wii U is a disaster, without a doubt, but Wii was just the previous generation and it was one of the most smartly marketed products in the history of the industry. Things have drastically changed up since launch, they have it within them to do something like this at this point. Long shot for sure, but its not all that different from viral marketing.
This is what I was gonna say. They have had some great flashes of marketing, and long sustained doozies for marketing.

I stand by that your dealing with a different Nintendo coming up tho.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Did you even watch the Jimmy Fallon video? This is a very clear stark contrast compared to years past when it comes down to marketing.

And all Nintendo had to do was allow Resident Nintendo man, Jimmy Fallon, get the chance to hold it and see how it was for a couple minutes. I don't ever recall a time when Nintendo did something like this, but I could be completely wrong as well.

All I'm saying this, there's something very different going on with Nintendo, and it is nothing but a good thing.

Goodtwin

It really was genious showing off a little bit of Switch on Jimmy Fallon. That is not simply targeting your traditional gamer market, but have visabilty to your average Joe consumer. Very good exposure, and Jimmy totally geeking out doesn't hurt either. They already have more consumer awareness for Switch than Wii U does after four years on the market.

Koenig

The Architect
Keep in mind that they did the same thing with Jimmy Fallon for both the Wii U and Skyward Sword (Although in the case of the former, it was after the launch of the system). This is not a new tactic, it is just not late this time around.

sjmartin79

Miyamoto playing the Super Mario theme with the Roots was brilliant, and it has already gone viral.
Jimmy playing Super Mario Run and Switch has gone viral.

These are smart moves by Nintendo. When my social media feed has these videos from people I don't consider to be gamers, in the sense that people here are, this is a good thing. More and more eyes are seeing this. Product awareness is key, and I think Nintendo is doing well with their Switch kernels.

They keep giving us these gaming droplets like we're hamsters in a cage, and we're all like "slurp, slurp."

Socar

Keep in mind that they did the same thing with Jimmy Fallon for both the Wii U and Skyward Sword (Although in the case of the former, it was after the launch of the system). This is not a new tactic, it is just not late this time around.
Whether its a new or an old tactic doesn't matter. The point is that the Switch is now developing more hype than the Wii U was back then.

Believe it or not, the main reason why the Wii U lacked the promise it had at the start was that it promised features that weren't there at the final release such as having two gamepads. And not every Wii U game made use of its main selling point which was playing it while others watched tv because the features differs in each and every game so that also is to be blamed.

Switch on the other hand has only one thing in mind which is to just play games how you want them to be played and that IS the biggest selling point.

Socar

Now for those saying Nintendo is now smart...yeah I'm not denying that and all...but just think for one second if they applied this to their dormant IP like....idk Metroid? I'm not complaining here. I'm just trying to say that well.....leaving IPs dormant is not good for the IP...just saying....

EDIT: Also I'm a bit paranoid whether this will end up as the same thing as the Wii U did. What if that footage isn't legit enough and that it was all false acting? I know I'm exaggerating here but still.....

Now for those saying Nintendo is now smart...yeah I'm not denying that and all...but just think for one second if they applied this to their dormant IP like....idk Metroid? I'm not complaining here. I'm just trying to say that well.....leaving IPs dormant is not good for the IP...just saying....

EDIT: Also I'm a bit paranoid whether this will end up as the same thing as the Wii U did. What if that footage isn't legit enough and that it was all false acting? I know I'm exaggerating here but still.....
Would be nice if they applied this energy to a Metroid game. With the Switch, they're gonna need all the IPs they can take, so I would like to see a return of all these dormant franchises, like Metroid and F-Zero. I think its likely, considering Federation Force is supposed to be setup for the next Prime game.

As for whether Switch ends up the same as Wii U, I dont know if it will fail that hard, but it doing poorly is entirely possible. They're going to do everything possible to make sure that doesnt happen.

I dont understand what you mean by "footage isnt legit enough"? Do you mean that its all fake, even the transferring from TV to handheld mode? Very obviously not true, but why would they do that, they stand to gain nothing by lying that hard. As for fake acting, in late shows like this its a given, but Jimmy Fallon has a known geek history and verbal cues aside there were apparent physical tells that he was very excited to be holding this in his hands, he was shaking.

Socar

Also an important note and this is seriously important. Just because Jimmy played and liked the switch DOES NOT mean that Nintendo will get PLENTY OF western third party support.

It may seem promising at first with Seasons of Heaven and Sacred Hero but if you do a bit of a research, these are indie games, NOT third party games.

So there's no need to prove me wrong here!

Koenig

The Architect
GC Virtual Console being rumored, Melee being one of the initial titles.
Also the way it was worded, sounds like its not a subscription service. Hopefully the pricing isnt dumb at least
Wake me up when TTYD is confirmed.

In all seriousness though, this is great news. If the Switch has GC VCON support it will be a huge boon in my eyes. Now, whether or not Nintendo actually puts more than three Game Cube games on the VCON and prices them appropriately remains to be seen. I am going to put my money on "Not a chance in hell".

Also an important note and this is seriously important. Just because Jimmy played and liked the switch DOES NOT mean that Nintendo will get PLENTY OF western third party support.

It may seem promising at first with Seasons of Heaven and Sacred Hero but if you do a bit of a research, these are indie games, NOT third party games.

So there's no need to prove me wrong here!
I mean duh. No one is saying that.

tekshow

Gang, I've obviously been creeping this way for a while, but I think my hype has reached overwhelming levels of expectations. There's no turning back now, from the facts we've seen to many of the rumors that give true feels I'm frothing with demand for this thing.

Basically in my head I'm thinking it's a portable XBO or base PS4, it's capable with UE4, third parties are getting on board, 5-7 hour battery life, can play GameCube games, it's sleek as hell, and I want it now! The good news just keeps rolling on and it seems like every time there's been skepticism since the reveal it's been answered with a coiNcidental leak.

This has to be Nintendos biggest streak of positive hype since who knows when? They were going to get my money, but now it's definitely day one with whatever launch lineup they throw at my wallet. HYPE!