Nintendo Switch - Official Thread

So the video was taken down at the request of the interviewee. VERY likely was given a stern beating by the Nintendo Ninjas.
Read the fine print in those NDAs, boys.

In case anyone missed it, the interviewee, an actor that appears in the trailer, didnt say much. He mentioned how the Switch and the dock felt like the real deal. He also said the Pro controller was THE most comfortable controller he's ever held.
Big takeaway was that he also mentioned how there are "things about the console/controls that people still dont know about that hasn't been revealed yet". So yeah, Nintendo's holding back some features for sure.

Last edited:

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
So the video was taken down at the request of the interviewee. VERY likely was given a stern beating by the Nintendo Ninjas.

In case anyone missed it, the interviewee, an actor that appears in the trailer, didnt say much. He mentioned how the Switch and the dock felt like the real deal. He also said the Pro controller was THE most comfortable controller he's ever held.
Big takeaway was that he also mentioned how there are "things about the console/controls that people still dont know about that hasn't been revealed yet". So yeah, Nintendo's holding back some features for sure.
Yeah, I was thinking the guy was crazy the whole time I was listening to that interview. But I messed up as well cause I didn't listen to the whole thing, only the part about the auditions and how serious Nintendo's NDAs are.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear

I was wondering if that was going to happen. I was honestly surprised he even made the interview in the first place, given the system isn't fully unveiled yet. I likely would've waited until the system launched, and then with it on everyone's minds, mention how you were that one guy in the reveal commercial.

tekshow

I was wondering if that was going to happen. I was honestly surprised he even made the interview in the first place, given the system isn't fully unveiled yet. I likely would've waited until the system launched, and then with it on everyone's minds, mention how you were that one guy in the reveal commercial.
But he's an excited Nintendo fan who's seen Area 51 and classified tech, how could he hold that in!?

More Switch details this week at the investors meeting?

But he's an excited Nintendo fan who's seen Area 51 and classified tech, how could he hold that in!?

More Switch details this week at the investors meeting?
none.

They mentioned they planned on shipping/selling(??) 2 million Switch units by the end of March 2017. I'm not sure if thats a reserved or optimistic estimation.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
none.

They mentioned they planned on shipping/selling(??) 2 million Switch units by the end of March 2017. I'm not sure if thats a reserved or optimistic estimation.
Really it is something very different to the console market and your right, this thing could sell gangs or little.

Goodtwin

Nintendo needs to hit that $249 price. Nothing says they can't put together a bundle for $349, perhaps Mario Kart or Splatoon included, more internal memory, and a Pro Controller, but they need that low entry price for the consumer that just wants to play the new Zelda or Mario. Nvidia Shield tablet can be purchased for $199, thanks to savings from higher production, I see no reason Nintendo can't hit that $249 price. Even if most people buy the more expensive bundle, for marketing, the lower price is important.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Goodtwin

Perhaps Nintendo rolling out the teaser video allows Nintendo time to gauge consumer interest, and what the price needs to be. Nintendo can also tweak the final blowout reveal based on criticism and concerns consumers and journalist alike are bringing to light. They really have positioned themselves to avoid and PR confusion and blunders. In a way they are even playing mind games. Skyrim and NBA 2K are assumed after the video came out, but then Nintendo says not so fast, those may just be promotional footage. Fast forward to January, those games are revealed along with other third party games, and Nintendo has a good chuckle.

Koenig

The Architect
Perhaps Nintendo rolling out the teaser video allows Nintendo time to gauge consumer interest, and what the price needs to be. Nintendo can also tweak the final blowout reveal based on criticism and concerns consumers and journalist alike are bringing to light. They really have positioned themselves to avoid and PR confusion and blunders. In a way they are even playing mind games. Skyrim and NBA 2K are assumed after the video came out, but then Nintendo says not so fast, those may just be promotional footage. Fast forward to January, those games are revealed along with other third party games, and Nintendo has a good chuckle.

Sent from my SM-G360V using genital warts
And if those games don't come out? I doubt that will be the case (At least hope it won't), but if it were to happen it would be a bit of a blow to the Switch's image at launch.

Goodtwin

And if those games don't come out? I doubt that will be the case (At least hope it won't), but if it were to happen it would be a bit of a blow to the Switch's image at launch.
Not great for PR, but honestly the slew of first party games will overshadow it. Third party games like Skyrim are icing on the cake, the system sellers will come from Nintendo.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Not great for PR, but honestly the slew of first party games will overshadow it. Third party games like Skyrim are icing on the cake, the system sellers will come from Nintendo.

Sent from my SM-G360V using genital warts
This post and the one before it seem to be the clear path for Nintendo I don't see how the swerve from that. And I do believe everything about that trailor is a way to make sure the PR/Message/games/pricing are all on lock it gives them a few
Months feedback to sift thru.

@Koenig if those games don't come I'm gonna say that the core just stay were there at with MS/Sony. They already have those games on other systems for literal years now. Now I do agree that if they don't come they shouldn't have even been shown, because then you get into false advertising claims and people saying "well here we go again with Nintendo and 3rd parties".

This go around they have positioned themselves in such a tight way that they have time to counter any of those claims and I also think they will be there at launch cause there in the trailor. They have had such success this year tho in marketing and turning themselves around from e3 to the Apple announcement then follow up with the Switch trailor. I find it hard to believe there just gonna squander the opportunity with 3rd parties.

Quote me on this and if I'm wrong I'll eat more crow that I can handle. This is a very different Nintendo that we are dealing with. I say the Nintendo we know and are used to died sometime in 2015. And in 2016 they have launched a total rebranding of themselves. I can feel that and see it.

Shoulder

If they don't, then that's Bethesda's fault because I'm sure they and Nintendo talked about having the footage in the preview trailer in the first place. The only reason why we have not heard confirmation of ANY game from the trailer is probably down to timing. Bethesda not confirming because Skyrim remastered is just around the corner for PS4 and Xbox One, so they surely want people to buy that version straight away rather than wait for the Switch version.

Ironically though, I've heard many people who preordered Skyrim remastered, and after the trailer, cancelled it in anticipation for the Switch version next year. At that point, it's Bethesda's fault for bringing us the hype for Skyrim on the go, which is very enticing for many gamers as it's looking like, myself included.

I'd get Skyrim on Switch over PS4 just for the on-the-go feature alone, even if the graphics aren't as good.

This post and the one before it seem to be the clear path for Nintendo I don't see how the swerve from that. And I do believe everything about that trailor is a way to make sure the PR/Message/games/pricing are all on lock it gives them a few
Months feedback to sift thru.

@Koenig if those games don't come I'm gonna say that the core just stay were there at with MS/Sony. They already have those games on other systems for literal years now. Now I do agree that if they don't come they shouldn't have even been shown, because then you get into false advertising claims and people saying "well here we go again with Nintendo and 3rd parties".

This go around they have positioned themselves in such a tight way that they have time to counter any of those claims and I also think they will be there at launch cause there in the trailor. They have had such success this year tho in marketing and turning themselves around from e3 to the Apple announcement then follow up with the Switch trailor. I find it hard to believe there just gonna squander the opportunity with 3rd parties.

Quote me on this and if I'm wrong I'll eat more crow that I can handle. This is a very different Nintendo that we are dealing with. I say the Nintendo we know and are used to died sometime in 2015. And in 2016 they have launched a total rebranding of themselves. I can feel that and see it.
Me and Shoulder were talking about this in the chat the other day, in relation to marketing.

I dont follow product launches, usually when some high tech thing is marketed its like the week before it releases and then its in stores, there's never a big buildup to a launch. I'm not saying Nintendo should wait until the week before until they start dumping out commercials and demo units into the public, but I feel that 3 months is ample time to market the console IF they use pretty much all of it. I'm not sure 3rd parties are gonna lighten the load by doing marketing for their versions of their months or years old games so expect that. Nintendo can do a lot though on their own. They can take a cue from the Pokemon Company, who has been rolling out updates and trailer for Sun/Moon for the past 3 months on a consistent and regular basis, always leaving dates for future unveilings to keep fans interested. Nintendo needs to do the same thing right out the gate in their online and promotional presence, I believe they have the games and concept to keep a constant interest going. Insider tip, a lot of Treehouse and NoA people have recently been getting very close to reporters and bloggers for syndicated news programs and websites. I can picture a Today Show segment already.

Around late January through February start an actual ad push. A lot of people think that this quarter is a slow one, it being post-holiday season. I disagree completely, there's still big opportunities to be found. Shoulder enlightened us to the fact that one of the BIGGEST sporting events, the fucking Superbowl, is in February. They need to dedicate at least a pair of ads to air on that, one on concept, the other on game(s). Another little known occurrence happening here is the distribution of tax refunds. Yes, most of it is saved away but there is still plenty of spending, and Nintendo needs to convince these people to use those government bucks on Switch.

This is mostly situated in the United States though, I haven't a clue how they'll fair overseas.
I believe they'll launch this thing within the first 2 weeks of March. Considering the 2 million units report, it doesnt look like they will drop the console in late March. From then onward they have potential tertiary marketing through early adopters who are brave enough to use the crazy looking thing in public.
Afterward idk, hopefully they have a filled lineup for 2017. E3 being only 3 months away after launch helps them restart another hype train.

Thats my hope at least, I feel January and February should be packed months of info. I do believe Nintendo's common act of missing the boat ends very soon.

It seems so simple, but Nintendo really could just make a huge, gigantic pile of cash if they released the Switch with only 3 launch titles - the new Zelda, a new Mario 3D game, and a new Metroid game. Why is that so hard? Think of the demand and interest this would generate. Then follow it up with a new Splatoon and Mario Kart.

Shoulder

It seems so simple, but Nintendo really could just make a huge, gigantic pile of cash if they released the Switch with only 3 launch titles - the new Zelda, a new Mario 3D game, and a new Metroid game. Why is that so hard? Think of the demand and interest this would generate. Then follow it up with a new Splatoon and Mario Kart.
For the first two titles, it's likely not that difficult at all. As far as Metroid is concerned, well unfortunately, I think the franchise is in limbo right now, and Nintendo will say it's our fault (it really is not).

Mario and Zelda would be awesome as launch titles as we haven't had a launch Mario title since the N64. I think if there's a time to launch a 3D Mario game, it's launch, especially since we have seen footage of it, so that might be a clue.

Optimistically, I think all the games shown in the trailer will all be launch titles, or at the minimum launch window (0-3 months post-launch).

Goodtwin

When you look at launch software, it's night and day already compared to Wii U. Zelda BotW is as high profile as it gets, and a new 3D Mario game is all but certain as well. I actually think Mike Schwab is on the right track, 3 titles may be too few, but limiting the launch lineup to around 10 games makes sense. The huge launch lineups spread things to thin. I think Nintendo is going to take the lead for the first few months, grow the userbase, and then in August when EA released Madden 18, Switch will already have a 3-5 million users. This is just an example of course, but establishing a solid userbase heading into its first Crhistmas season greatly improves the chances of third party titles doing well on Switch.

So that eSports scene in the trailer might be a real dream for Nintendo.
Again, obvious speculation so I'd take the rumor lightly, but they are apparently looking into becoming more serious in the eSports scene. I do think they need to have more than just Splatoon. I suppose they also have Smash Bros and Pokken, but I think they need to have another game ready for that scene at some point early in Switch's lifetime.
https://pvplive.net/c/nintendo-investing-into-esports-platforms

I do hope the rumor is true, could mean that Splatoon Switch changes some of its not-so-competitive features like random perks, rerolling perks, and weapon balances.

January 12th Live Stream from Nintendo for full-on Switch Info - Just tweeted by Nintendo
http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/nintendo-reveals-plans-for-nintendo-switch-presentation
Worth noting.
It sounds like its a stage show.
It will reveal pricing, release date, and a lineup of games in development, which sound a bit strange but I'm sure that will include launch titles as well.
Exciting to have a date, but mid January eh that's fine.

I'm sitting patiently and waiting for Nintendo NY to reveal that they are gonna be hosting a public event.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/nintendo-reveals-plans-for-nintendo-switch-presentation
Worth noting.
It sounds like its a stage show.
It will reveal pricing, release date, and a lineup of games in development, which sound a bit strange but I'm sure that will include launch titles as well.
Exciting to have a date, but mid January eh that's fine.

I'm sitting patiently and waiting for Nintendo NY to reveal that they are gonna be hosting a public event.
not too strange, this will be the full Switch reveal, they have to show more than just launch lineup, they need to present a reason to invest in the hardware that goes beyond day 1...

that being said... all they have to do is show the promise of continued support... so I don't expect a lot from the games in development section... announcements, art, a few teasers and maybe 1 or 2 full blown trailers

my guess is they will detail the hardware entirely, show the entire launch lineup, trailers and all... then show a few teases for more stuff down the line

then at e3 they will show their holiday lineup in detail

Shoulder

http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/10/report-nintendo-switch-to-support-micro-sd-up-to-128gb/

Don't know how credible this is, but if they say it supports micro SDXC cards, then technically speaking it can go much higher than 128GB. SDXC supports up to 2TB, but those cards don't exist yet. 128GB microSD are available now for around 40 bucks, maybe less, so expect in about two years when 512GB will be out, and 128GB can be had for pennies on the dollar.
I feel Nintendo could limit the size of the card to prevent slow reads or something like that. Still, SDXC is a pretty progressive move (for Nintendo). I saw that slot behind the kickstand as well, but I had said it was a stylus. Now we possibly know.
SDXC makes me believe that the charge port on the bottom of the console is USB type-c, just to top off the progressive tech moves.

Shoulder

I feel Nintendo could limit the size of the card to prevent slow reads or something like that. Still, SDXC is a pretty progressive move (for Nintendo). I saw that slot behind the kickstand as well, but I had said it was a stylus. Now we possibly know.
SDXC makes me believe that the charge port on the bottom of the console is USB type-c, just to top off the progressive tech moves.
Well, even the 3DS technically supports SDXC, but not officially. It's because the format for SDHC is Fat32, whereas SDXC uses exFAT. To get around the 32GB limitation on the 3DS, format any SDXC card to FAT32, and you're golden. My guess is this time around, since it's looking like SDXC is what it'll support, exFAT is the format.

But, any form of storage media can be formatted to FAT32, exFAT, etc.

Odo

They can take a cue from the Pokemon Company, who has been rolling out updates and trailer for Sun/Moon for the past 3 months on a consistent and regular basis, always leaving dates for future unveilings to keep fans interested.
Smash WiiU/3DS marketing team did the same too. Spectacular move.

Looks kind of rounded... Maybe USB type C?
Bingo
http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/...by-usb-c-cannot-be-charged-in-kickstand-mode/
"According to our source at Nintendo, as well as a source close to the production of the reveal trailer for the Switch, the hardware model shown in the reveal featured a USB-C port for power, situated in the centre of the bottom edge of the tablet. This port will be able to be used to charge the handheld while away from the Switch Dock.

Additionally, both sources have made it clear that the position of the USB-C port on the handheld means you will not be able to charge it while the system is propped up on its kickstand.

The move from a proprietary charger standard to a high-capacity, non-proprietary cable may be a move to counter the system’s reported mediocre battery life. Our source at Nintendo suggests that the system’s poor battery life may be mitigated by the ability to quickly charge it using a portable battery pack or a USB port."

Also another tidbit
http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/...itch-dock-doesnt-support-external-usb-drives/
"A source at Nintendo has confirmed to Let’s Play Video Games that the company doesn’t have any plans to support USB Hard Drives being connected to the Nintendo Switch Dock to expand system storage.

Nintendo’s concern internally is that allowing consumers to attach large external drives to the Dock will cause players to see the system as less inherently portable, harming their core branding for the system as a portable home console.

Additionally, Nintendo want to ensure that players can at any time disconnect the handheld from the dock without having to wait for games, save data or other information to sync first. Nintendo’s solution to this is to only allow data to be stored on the handheld, so that any time you disconnect the handheld all the same data is available to the player."

Strange decision. There are clearly USB ports on the dock, and LPG has reaffirmed Emily Rogers' specs, which include support for USB 3.0. They likely are just there to charge controllers but having a 3.0 on there (rumored) seems pointless then.

Shoulder

The only Tegra Chip that is the X2 is Parker. So what that implies is Tegra Parker would be in the finalized dev kits. Tegra X2 is really just Tegra Parker. As far as I know (could be wrong), there is no Tegra X2. It's only Tegra Parker. Now, the specs of Parker are very much known, but some interesting things that we still don't know about the Switch, but we can get clues are the Ram, Pascal architecture, and 16nm FinFET manufacturing process. As far as ram is concerned, Parker supports LPDDR4 which also would hint at possible 4k media support given it has the bandwidth. Parker also supports up to 16GB of ram, which is unlikely to be in the Switch, but would certainly make an easy case for at least 8GB at this point. 16GB could be possible, but that would also drive up the cost, but it would also better future-proof the system. the use of a Pascal and in turn the 16nm FinFET process go hand in hand, so it doubly means less, power, less heat, and yet more powerful than maxwell architecture, which is what Tegra X1 is.

Given what we know of Tegra Parker, it would put slightly below the power of Xbox One on a theoretical level, but in real world terms, the differences would be minimal at best. Now, this would likely only apply to docked mode if the concept of two different power configurations depending on if the system is docked or in portable mode are true. We are almost fairly certain the Switch uses active cooling, which also suggests while in Portable mode, the system down clocks to preserve the battery, and possibly turn off the active cooling entirely.

I would argue that if what we think is true with the active cooling in docked mode, the Switch would have little issue running PS4/Xbox One games. In development terms, it could mean that if a PS4/Xbone game ran at equivalent high PC settings, the Switch version would run at possibly low-to-medium settings under near identical resolutions and framerates, which isn't really all that bad, and certainly very impressive for a system with a mobile chip.

MANGANian

Megalomaniacal Robo-Zombie

Smugness aside, as was my assumption, the 3DS is here to stay.
IGN said:
"Good news for 3DS owners, Nintendo has no plans to discontinue the 3DS following the release of the Nintendo Switch.

In an interview with Bloomberg, Nintendo president Tatsumi Kimishima explained the current situation when questioned as to why the company decided to combine household and portable gaming:

When discussing the future of the 3DS, Kimishima says because of Nintendo’s robust software, the 3DS is still growing, and the console still has “momentum" - something borne out by the solid hardware and software salesin the company's latest financial reports.

Kimishima believes instead of the Switch cannibalizing the 3DS, the 3DS will continue as its own separate device, with its own separate gaming experience.

There are currently a host of unanswered questions surrounding the Switch at this point in time, which Nintendo will hopefully answer in the Switch presentation in January. That said, we did learn recently the Switch screen will likely feature capacitive multi-touch input, a 720p display, and be 6.2" in size.

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
I truly believe that if the Switch sells like Nintendo wants it to, that we may see some smaller form Switch hybrids in the future, and that would be the end of the 3DS. Maybe a Switch the size of the New 3DS XL, even with a clamshell to prevent scratching on the screen when people want to toss it into pockets or bags.

With the 3Ds being the main money maker for Nintendo for the next few months, the last thing you want to do is tell consumers that the system they may buy will be obsolete in a few months.
Remember, the DS was supposed to be a 3rd Pillar for Nintendo, and we all know what happened to the Gameboy line of hardware after that.

I truly believe that if the Switch sells like Nintendo wants it to, that we may see some smaller form Switch hybrids in the future, and that would be the end of the 3DS. Maybe a Switch the size of the New 3DS XL, even with a clamshell to prevent scratching on the screen when people want to toss it into pockets or bags.

With the 3Ds being the main money maker for Nintendo for the next few months, the last thing you want to do is tell consumers that the system they may buy will be obsolete in a few months.
Remember, the DS was supposed to be a 3rd Pillar for Nintendo, and we all know what happened to the Gameboy line of hardware after that.
I think the era of pillars continues, but not in the way people think.
Going forward, I see 2, possibly 3, pillars for Nintendo. In one you have the Switch, a consolidated Nintendo box. In the other, you have their mobile initiative. In the potential third depending on its own success, you have VR, which I dont think they will personally make devices for, instead they'll act as a third party to another device or attach it to their mobile pillar.

But yes, 3DS should be phased out, and I think it is. Look at the upcoming releases for it. Barring Pokemon, its all B-teams and ports, I dont expect that to change after those first two quarters are finished, all A-teams need to be on Switch in order to make that fly. Next E3 will be heavily Switch focused, Nintendo has stated as such. Of course they arent going to say its dead, but they are giving the exact same messaging with 3DS as they did with Wii U prior to this reveal. 2017 wont be bare for 3DS users, but its not gonna receive priority. I expect the fall off to be pretty grim in 2018, but all that remains to be seen dependent on Switch's success.

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
I fully admit that after Pokemon, the only game on the 3DS that I'm truly excited about is the Pikmin game.
Other than that, it's working on my backlog while I anxiously await the Switch.

Edit: And one of Nintendo's commercials for its new hardware needs to have the phrase "Make the Switch"

theMightyME

yeah.. 3DS is a total safeguard right now... they can't claim that the switch is a 3rd pillar because the wii u is already dead... so instead they made the switch the second pillar... though let us not forget they now have mobile as well... which makes the 3ds the 3rd unnecessary pillar... it'll be there only as long as the Switch isn't big enough for the 3ds to go away... so barring a switch flop... the 3ds is done

nintendo will iterate on a Switch "family" of devices.... again.. barring a switch flop

I predict a more portable focused switch in 2018, with 3ds software drying up over 2017, nothing of any importance on the 3ds in 2018... and then at some point later in the year a smaller switch will come out with better battery life (due to a smaller chip manufacturing process)... it might even be a full handheld... no dock... no modularity... and for that reason it might be called something else.. but it will tap into the exact same ecosystem... if the switch is wildly successful, and people understand the whole hybrid mentality of it... they might even ditch the dock but still offer TV play wirelessly...

I believe the main reason the system has to dock isn't technical, but rather an aspect of messaging... they want to avoid the confusion of the wii u... they want it to be very clear cut... when docked it is console, when undocked it is handheld.... when docked there is no device screen... IMO this is ALL about knowing their own failures with wii u marketing... they are distancing themselves from it...

but once people understand the switch concept and get the whole hybrid thing... THEN they can say "hey, this new version doesn't even have to dock... just hit a button and its on your tv

that being said.. I think when that happens the tv display will just be mirrored or the system screen will be turned off... at-least initially then maybe later they will re-sell us on 2nd screen experiences by already having a popular system that can do them

theMightyME

In the potential third depending on its own success, you have VR,
if the switch's screen wasn't so big (and surely on 720p) I could have totally seen Nintendo pull soemthing akin to galaxy VR or google daydream

a cheap peripheral headset that the switch docks in which contains extra sensors and cameras, then the joycons would have motion control built in, you slide them out and you are in VR

they might still do that with the switch... but 720 p that close to the eyes and blown up on a screen that large will be super pixely... I have a few google cardboard units... and even my 5" 1080p phone screen looks very low rez when in a VR device... that is a big reason why most mobile flagships now have 4k screens

4k is dense enough to look good... even when strapped right in front of your eyes... even 1080 is not, and 720p is nowhere close (to understand this, go grab a google cardboard from somewhere, there are a lot of places that provide them for free on promotion, or you can snag them for like $10-30.... then pop some different phones into it.... an old 720p device, a 1080p device, and a modern 4k flagship...

it isn't the best VR experience (it is just the most dirt cheap option) but it gives you a better understanding of what VR requires

I think a very smart option for nintendo would also be to consider using google's daydream vr platform... pretty much everyone has a somehwat modern smartphone... and within another year or 2 most of them will be daydream compliant (except perhaps iphone, but they might have their own version of it)... Nintendo could make an app that pairs your switch to your phone and displays its screen on it.. then you dock your phone into a daydream visor, a galaxy vr visor, or whatever apple makes, and you slide off the joy cons and go VR

they could feasibly offer VR as an $80 option (gogole's daydream) .. it would actually be far more expensive than that... but we already have the phones that make up the bulk of the price