Nintendo Switch - Official Thread

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
As I mentioned before, I am simply very skeptical that this method of online gaming is going to work well enough. But, I was wrong when I said the Wii U will ultimately be successful, and I was wrong again when I suggested that Nintendo should create a 3DS add-on for the Wii U, so you could play all 3DS games on the Wii U. Neither of those things ever happened.
so this isn't you... but what frustrates me more than anything is the quick assumptions and ignorance of the facts

like I was listening to the kinda funny games reaction and they said it would be $5/month for the online and it wouldn't even be available until fall... when in actuality there is no price, and it is available at launch but doesn't charge until fall

so these dopes say that crap, spew that verbal diarrhea into the world and it just becomes a game of telephone, being spread with additional bad falsehoods occasionally added in

my position on the online stuff

1. it is industry standard to charge.
2. there is still a LOT that we do not know, the details are both vague and strange.
3. I like the idea of the switch pairing with your phone and offloading some tasks to your phone... I think it is both smart and could provide a better experience... that doesn't mean it WILL provide a better experience, but until we know more, and have had a chance to play with it, there is nothing to really be staunchly against.

so yeah... lets get our switches, and use our 6 free months of online services to bitch at nintendo about how much it sucks when we know it does (which it most likely will) and maybe things will change by the time they charge

but until then it is just pointless...

guessing, discussing, thinking about it.. all of that is fine... but we shouldn't just jump to a conclusion when the details are vague, strange, and unproven in either direction...

we should know more details soon, and be in a position to actually fully use the services in 42 days

all of thta being said.. don't expect price confirmation on the service before the system launches, nintendo will be gauging how much the service is used, how it is used, and the value its users get from it before they announce a price point... that is why we get it for free for 6 months

Goodtwin

You know, when we look back at what we spent in Wii remotes and accessories, they were actually expensive. It didn't stand out because each individual accessory wasn't that expensive. When you do the math though, $40 Wii remote, $20 nunchuck, $20 classic controller, and later on Wii Motion Plus accessory was $20. We are ten years down the road, and Joy Cons surpass Wii remote functionality even with all the accessories. Not saying Joy Cons don't have real sticker shock, but really we were getting nickel and dimed before, and people didn't think much about it.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
@Goodtwin @theMightyME @Shoulder - Thank you guys! I was seeing a big price difference between the 80 mb/s and the 90 mb/s, and I was wondering if that made much of a difference.
But if 80 mb/s is good enough, then that is great. Saves a lot of money.

Steve 2 and I plan on going mostly physical with the Switch, unless it is a digital only game of course. But I just wanted to be ready. We may take the wait and see approach.

Main thought behind getting a card now was that I heard that all "Save Game" data will be on the Switch itself while downloadable games could be on the Micro SD card.

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
You know, when we look back at what we spent in Wii remotes and accessories, they were actually expensive. It didn't stand out because each individual accessory wasn't that expensive. When you do the math though, $40 Wii remote, $20 nunchuck, $20 classic controller, and later on Wii Motion Plus accessory was $20. We are ten years down the road, and Joy Cons surpass Wii remote functionality even with all the accessories. Not saying Joy Cons don't have real sticker shock, but really we were getting nickel and dimed before, and people didn't think much about it.

Sent from my SM-G360V using genital warts
That is an excellent point. I had the Wii mote/nun chuck that came with the system. Also had a black set, gold set, blue set, and one other. And yeah, they were expensive each time. Interesting to think that now they are $20 more for a set with a lot more tech inside. Honestly, that's not bad when put in perspective.

Koenig

The Architect
What Micro SDXC card would you guys suggest for the Switch?

I usually only use SanDisk. Is there a minimum transfer speed that needs to be hit? Like there are some with 80 mb/s and others with 90 mb/s.
Any info you can provide is greatly appreciated.
I think this guy has some good info for you on the matter.

Though in summary he recommends these two cards:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Sele...84941022&sr=8-6&keywords=samsung+evo+micro+sd

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Sele...4941022&sr=8-10&keywords=samsung+evo+micro+sd

@Goodtwin @theMightyME @Shoulder - Thank you guys! I was seeing a big price difference between the 80 mb/s and the 90 mb/s, and I was wondering if that made much of a difference.
But if 80 mb/s is good enough, then that is great. Saves a lot of money.

Steve 2 and I plan on going mostly physical with the Switch, unless it is a digital only game of course. But I just wanted to be ready. We may take the wait and see approach.

Main thought behind getting a card now was that I heard that all "Save Game" data will be on the Switch itself while downloadable games could be on the Micro SD card.
Don't know if you got it already but I grabbed a Sandisk 200 gig 90/mb read speed for around $60. It's interesting that most 128gigs are $40 but 256 gigs are insane...over $100 dollars easily I can't remember. You have to search for 200 gigs but formme the price difference was absolutely worth it.

I'll upgrade later as prices continue to drop

Goodtwin

You want decent transfer speed, this effects how quickly games can load, and how fast they can stream data from the card. A slow card can cause framerate drops. Not only that, but when downloading to the card, a slow card can make downloading games take longer.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear

Sent from my SM-G360V using genital warts
Explain that to all the gamers who pay 60 bucks for a game, then buy the season pass for additional 30, plus any extra DLC that is not covered with the season pass.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I think Ima digital buy games like Puyo Puyo Tetris. They can't be big at all, plus for games like that they need to be readily available to pay at anytime for me.

Yeah Ima do that, and I'll upgrade to a memory card when I need it.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I think Ima digital buy games like Puyo Puyo Tetris. They can't be big at all, plus for games like that they need to be readily available to pay at anytime for me.

Yeah Ima do that, and I'll upgrade to a memory card when I need it.
This is a good idea especially if other games follow the example of Puyo Puyo Tetris, which will be cheaper to buy digitally than physically. ($29.99 rather than $39.99 in this case, though the higher physical price is because of some collectibles on the physical Switch version according to some guy in the reply chain)

https://twitter.com/JohnLHardin/status/822095018894594048

Edit: My personal guideline is usually like this: Is the game the kind of single player experience I'll only play a few times and may want to lend to friends or family in the future? I'll go physical; Is the game the kind of game I'll want to play for years? I'll go digital.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I am extremely disheartened about the recent Titanfall 2 developer comments regarding the switch.

*Sigh*
We have told you time and time again that this isn't who Nintendo is goin for 3rd party wise.

Also when did you find out that he made these comments while he was drunk? Still tho there bad anyhow but please don't be surprised you have been told before now.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I am extremely disheartened about the recent Titanfall 2 developer comments regarding the switch.

*Sigh*
Everything is playing out exactly as it's been foretold around here. Nintendo will have to try and sustain the Switch with their handheld + console devs combined to eliminate software release droughts, and only once the system has been moderately successful will it start getting decent third party support, and hopefully it snowballs from there.

But yeah, I'd say you can forget about this year's COD and Assassin's Creed as well. Maybe next year.

Koenig

The Architect
We have told you time and time again that this isn't who Nintendo is goin for 3rd party wise.

Also when did you find out that he made these comments while he was drunk? Still tho there bad anyhow but please don't be surprised you have been told before now.
Should I just give up then? Games like Titanfall 2 are my butter where as Nintendo is my bread. I simply do not have the time or money to own and use more than one gaming console at a time, and I am tired of having to choose between Nintendo or every FPS and WRPG.

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
Should I just give up then? Games like Titanfall 2 are my butter where as Nintendo is my bread. I simply do not have the time or money to own and use more than one gaming console at a time, and I am tired of having to choose between Nintendo or every FPS and WRPG.
I think the only reason why you would ever see FPS on Switch is for the gyro controls. I would much prefer a shooter for the controls on Switch than on my PC for graphics. The Steam Controller is nice but it just ain't Splatoon gyro control good.

Based on what you really want, I think it would be a better investment to spend that money towards building a computer. Build your computer around the RX480 (defacto card for VR which everyone is catering too for some reason) as it is a cheap card with a lot of bang for your buck. Instead of buying it all at once just pick up a part every month or so until you can get it all together. Heck, you can usually find monitors people are getting rid of for like 20 bucks on craigslist.

If you do go this route let me know. I have an Asus Direct Cooled OC'd R9 270 that is just sitting around. It's a decent starter card. I just upgraded and never sold it. If you buy your motherboard for something like the RX480 it will easily work with that card. Check out Micro Center or NewEgg for combo deals. You would be surprised with what you can get.

So, things you would need
  • Case
  • Motherboard
  • Ram (8 gb minimum)
  • Power Supply (500 to 750 watts depending on what you plan on doing)
  • CPU
  • GPU
  • Monitor
  • Hard Drive (lots of cheap ones nowadays, no need for Solid State but it sure is nice)
  • DVD/CD Drive (optional, who uses these nowadays anyways?)
  • Windows 10

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
So...tonight was the perfect night to own a Switch, unfortunately.

We had a Tornado Warning because of some crazy storm passing by and it knocked out my power for about 3 hours. Do you know what I did for 3 hours?

NOT PLAY ZELDA : BOTW

I was thinking that if the Switch was already out I could have just grabbed it off the dock and have a much more interesting 3 hours than I just did. I think this will be one of the more interesting positives of the system. You could play in docked mode, lose power, and just pick it up to keep the party rolling.

I think if you paired the system with a good external battery bank that could get your through a whole night of gaming without needing a wall socket. Seriously...how can people not be excited for possibilities like that at this point?

Cubits

I've accumulated a few battery packs from various vendors over the last few years, i might finally have a reason to use them!

Also, there's really no good reason why TF2 couldn't fit on the switch. TF1 ran on the 360 and the switch is an order of magnitude more powerful than that, and there really isn't any core gameplay component in 2 which requires advanced computational power (the time shifting would be the closest, but it's not a big stretch).

Most likely is that there is no perceived market for doing the work required to port to the switch. EA already regards TF2 as a commercial disaster on the most viable consoles, a nintendo port is a pretty obvious "LOLno" in terms of throwing money down the drain.

Western third parties will not be on board until the switch establishes itself as a viable platform. That means a significant install base AND profitable sales of western games. The Wii had the former but not the latter, and the wii u didn't have either. I'm not sure anyone knows how to make the latter work on Nintendo's platforms.

I don't think Skyrim is going to turn it around.

Cubits

I think the only reason why you would ever see FPS on Switch is for the gyro controls. I would much prefer a shooter for the controls on Switch than on my PC for graphics. The Steam Controller is nice but it just ain't Splatoon gyro control good.

Based on what you really want, I think it would be a better investment to spend that money towards building a computer. Build your computer around the RX480 (defacto card for VR which everyone is catering too for some reason) as it is a cheap card with a lot of bang for your buck. Instead of buying it all at once just pick up a part every month or so until you can get it all together. Heck, you can usually find monitors people are getting rid of for like 20 bucks on craigslist.

If you do go this route let me know. I have an Asus Direct Cooled OC'd R9 270 that is just sitting around. It's a decent starter card. I just upgraded and never sold it. If you buy your motherboard for something like the RX480 it will easily work with that card. Check out Micro Center or NewEgg for combo deals. You would be surprised with what you can get.

So, things you would need
  • Case
  • Motherboard
  • Ram (8 gb minimum)
  • Power Supply (500 to 750 watts depending on what you plan on doing)
  • CPU
  • GPU
  • Monitor
  • Hard Drive (lots of cheap ones nowadays, no need for Solid State but it sure is nice)
  • DVD/CD Drive (optional, who uses these nowadays anyways?)
  • Windows 10
The PC is such a great platform! I just ditched my xbone because it's never had a compelling exclusive in all of the time that i've owned it. In its place sits a steam-link and a steam controller. I just hit the steam button on the controller, and my PC boots up in my office and wirelessly beams the games into my living room. The games are cheaper, the graphics are better (60fps dark souls ftw!), and thanks to the SSD it's even booted up and running in far less time than a console! :)

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Sadly for you KO yeah you should probably build yourself a gamin rig or buy one of the other consoles.

Until Nintendo gives you a reason to believe western FPS & RPGs are comin to there system then maybe you could look back into them. But there is no reason at all to believe that's gonna happen outside of a hope and a prayer.

I think if you look at the past 3 generations (Switch included in this) you can see that Nintendo wants to push #1 there own exclusives. #2 there 3rd party support is generally exclusives made by Japanese developers. This is what should be your baseline realistic expectations should be for 3rd party support on Nintendo consoles.

For myself that's why I choose Nintendo over the other consoles. I've played AAA from NES till Gamecube and from that point on I've had my fill outside of a few sprinkles on the WiiU. I crave unique and out there kinda games now like NMH or W101 and that's why I support Nintendo. Because it's very realistic that i get those games right beside my BotW.

Again I want Titanfall I would buy it and play with y'all. But Nintendo offers me no hope ever or has shown me that they want those games on there consoles.

This is the cold hard fact. Us thinkin that TF2 would come to Switch is like a Xbox fan expecting to get W101. You just don't buy an Xbox for those kinds of games. It sucks to have to make the choice between consoles. Nintendo isn't competing with the other guys tho, there offering something completely different hardware and software wish to intice those who are tired of all the FPS, and showing them much different games which you can only get on Nintendo systems.

Fan-made edit of Nintendo's list, gives a more accurate look at the year and possibly beyond.
Subject to change still, but this is pretty much what we know so far.

I figure I would compare this to the Wii U's first year.

Madden 13
Wipeout 3 (game show)
Ben 10: Omniverse
Chasing Aurora
Darksiders 2
Funky Barn
Game Party Champions
Just Dance 4
Skylanders Giants
Transformers Prime: The Game
Your Shape Fitness Evolved 2013
NBA 2K13
Sing Party
Scribblenauts Unlimited
Ass Creed 3
Arkham City
FIFA 13
Mass Effect 3
NSMBU
Nintendo Land

Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Wii U Edition
Warriors Oroci 3 Hyper
ZombiU
Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge
Little Inferno
Mighty Switch Force HD Edition
Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed
Trine 2 Directors Cut
Epic Mickey 2
Rabbids Land
Nano Assault Neo
Tank Tank Tank
CoD BlOps 2
ESPN Sports Connection

This is just Launch Day (NA) for Wii U, pretty big list. Comparing directly to Switch's list, Wii U wins out easily, imo. A good chunk of exclusives (and, as of now, timed exclusives) riddle the list as do some multiplats courtesy of Ubisoft.
Comparing Nintendo offerings together, however, well there's more parity, with Switch having Zelda and 1-2-Switch and Wii U having NSMBU, Nintendo Land and Sing Party.

Now comes the rest

Fake Colors
Family Party:30 Great Games Obstacle Arcade
Rappala Pro Bass Fishing
Cabela's Dangerous Hunts
Rise of the Guardians: The Video Game
Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth
007 Legends
Jeopardy
Wheel of Fortune
The Cave
Puddle
Fist of the North Star: Kens Rage 2
Runner 2
The Amazing Spider-Man Ultimate Edition
Lego City Undercover (Though not anymore come Spring)
NFS Most Wanted U
MH3U
The Croods: Prehistoric Party
The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct
Zen Pinball 2
Toki Tori 2
Injustice: Gods Among Us
Kung Fu Rabbit
Resident Evil Revelations
Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes
Fast and Furious Showdown
Sniper Elite V2
Mutant Mudds Deluxe
NSLU
Game and Wario

Star Wars Pinball
Turbo: Super Stunt Squad
The Smurfs 2
Cloudberry Kingdom
Pikmin 3
Planes
Spin the Bottle: Bumpie's Party
DuckTales Remastered
Angry Birds Trilogy
Phineas and Ferb: Quest for Cool Stuff
Disney Infinity
Splinter Cell Blacklist
Dungeons and Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara
Pokemon Rumble U
Rayman Legends
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams
Spot the Differences! Party
The Wonderful 101
Hot Wheels: World's Best Driver
Scribblenauts Unmasked
TNT Racers: Nitro Machines Edition
Wind Waker HD (Nintendo)
Just Dance 2014
Skylanders Swap Force
Wipeout: Create and Crash (game show)
Mighty Switch Force 2
Lego Marvel Super Heroes
Spongebob: Planktons Robotic Revenge
Deus Ex Human Revolution
Just Dance Kids 2014
Forced
Wii Party U
Batman: Arkham Origins
Pac Man and the Ghostly Adventures
Ass Creed 4
Sonic Lost World
Monster High: 13 Wishes
Angry Birds Star Wars
Wii Fit U
Zumba Fitness: World Party
CoD Ghosts
Ben 10 Omniverse 2
Wii Sports Club
Toki Tori
Mario and Sonic 2014 Olympics

Big list again, but quality has arguably dropped off at this point. Ubisoft is still supporting pretty readily though, with others offering "test" titles. A smattering of gems hidden in there, however.

Lets take a look at Nintendo's offerings: Wii Party U, Wii Fit U, Wii Sports Club, Mario and Sonic, Game and Wario, Pokemon Rumble U, Lego City Undercover, Pikmin 3, NSLU, Wonderful 101. Fairly casual focused, I think.
Still beats out the current Switch list in quantity: Snipperclips, Mario Kart 8D, ARMS, Splatoon 2, Fire Emblem Warriors, Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Quality though? Remains to be seen, but there is a clear difference here in the audience Nintendo is aiming for. Gone is the Wii branding completely, of course, but also that casual focus. I mean looking at it now, I was fairly boned by Nintendo in the first year of Wii U.

Worth noting that a lot of these games, Nintendo ones and multiplats, were announced long after the release of the console, so I dont think this is the end all be all for Switch's year. Will look back and update this when more is known.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
my list... what I will probably be getting

March 3rd - The Legend fo Zelda: Breath of the Wild
March - Snipperclips
March - I am Setsuna
April 28th - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
May 2nd - Puyo Puyo Tetris
Spring - Disgaea 5
Spring - Arms
Summer - Splatoon 2
Holiday - Super Mario Odyssey
2017 - Xenoblade Chronicles 2
2017 - Ultra Street Fighter II
2018 - Fire Emblem
TBA - No More Heroes 3
TBA - BlazBlue
TBA - Dragon Quest 11
TBA - Project Octopath Traveler
TBA - Steam World ?
TBA - Tales of ?
TBA - Shin Megami Tensei ?

besides the Switch I only have 1 other game currently on my radar... south park rpg 2

here is what I got for the wii u from that massive list of games

Darksiders 2 - glitchy mess, and some poor design, had some fun with it for a while
Ass Creed 3 - had fun scaling buildings and such, hated the rest of the game
Arkham City - LOATHED, great looking game, but I hate it
NSMBU - great but generic mario
Nintendo Land - fun experiments
Little Inferno - first wii u game I completed
Trine 2 Directors Cut - had a little fun with it, but it isn't for me
Nano Assault Neo - really good game, had a lot of fun
The Cave - bored me
Runner 2 - great game, but got too hard for me
Lego City Undercover - cool game
Zen Pinball 2 - was free with paid tables, never played
NSLU - really fun dlc
Pikmin 3 - fairly fun, got it for free, don't remember why, was for buying some other game digitally
Dungeons and Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara - hated it
The Wonderful 101 - not for me
Wind Waker HD - I think I got this for free as well, again, don't remember why... maybe it was just a big discount, I dunno, never played it...

of those there are only like 9 I would get another game in the series... many I bought because I didn't have anything else, there was a discount years later, or I wanted to try the franchise out but ended up not liking it...

----------------

edit: I think nintendo will have SEVERAL events/directs before the system launches, will almost surely have a bunch of unannounced stuff at e3, and will likely have other events/directs both before and after e3 in which more games are revealed...

I imagine the next Nintendo event for switch will be detailing the system UI, parts of (but not all of) the online plan, eshop, etc... all of which will have to be revealed more fully before the system launches...I suspect that in this event/direct there could also be more game announcements... maybe nothing retail... maybe just eshop or VC... but even so still some good stuff...

If nintendo is focusing on giving us one vc game a month, with additional features, but only for the month, then they are probably turning it into some kind of event... to encourage discussion of the game and such... if that is the case then they will likely start off with something significant... they said the free game trial thing would be nes or snes... but what if it was Mother 3? there have been rumors, from sources that did prove somewhat reliable... plus consider the whole discussion point aspect... a game never released in america before, that many people do not know exists, and many others are absolutely starving for... as the 1 free trial game nintendo gets to make the msot vocal fans act as advertising for everyone else, by having ti trend in twitter and such... and those gamers only have to open it up on their system as it is free to them for a month... after which point the already rabbid fans will surely fork out the cash to buy it, as could many who didn't know it existed before... and at the end of the day, the clever marketing ruse for the game will be seen as a really cool thing Nintendo did for the fans, rather than just marketing BS.... it would be genius... especially considering the people whoa re hungry for mother 3 are also likely aprt of the group of early adopters who will get the switch in the first month.... and if they aren't.. they will be when the game is announced for it in this capacity... not sure what enhanced online features could work for mother 3... it wouldn't really need them... just let us share annotated screenshots... perhaps with stamps based on sprites in the game

----------------

edit2: electric boogaloo:
which makes me think more about the whole 1 trial game a month thing on VC... what if this carefully curated and presented almost like a book club... perhaps with a treehouse call-in event at the end of the month.... I dunno, that would add a LOT of power to getting a free trial vc game once a month... people would be excited to know what the next game would be at the beginning of the month, even though it is just 1 vc game that they don't even get entirely for free... it could be powerful as a marketing tool to really bring the community of Nintendo fans together...

Last edited:
Aloha fellas! Been awhile. Just came in to give my feelings back on the Switch.

For once I'm not excited about a Nintendo console or handheld. I guess the ever shrinking third party support in WiiU and the practically non existent(compelling) third party support for Switch has just turned me off. The only thing I'm excited about on that whole list of games is Zelda, Splatoon 2, and No more heroes. First, I couldn't even preorder the system, everywhere close to me was sold out and after a few phone calls, placed further away were also sold out. I think I'll get Zelda for WiiU and whenever Splatoon 2 comes out I'll grab a Switch. Really hurt I don't see any CoD, Re, or any other "mature" titles. I don't know guys. This is definitely a wait and see for me. Nintendos decisions over the past 10 years have been pushing them away from me. There's still some love there, but they needed to "wow" me and all I got was a "that's cool I guess". A Portable WiiU...

Goodtwin

Anyone thinking Nintendo isnt holding back some titles to announce at E3 is forgetting history. Nintendo loves to hold off showing software until closer to launch. I expect at least 3 Switch exclusives to be announced at E3, and they will release this year. Pikmin 4 perhaps. Whatever Retro has been working on. Nintendo keeps saying thats its important to roll out compelling content on a consistent basis, and E3 will fill in some of the gaps.

Anyone thinking Nintendo isnt holding back some titles to announce at E3 is forgetting history. Nintendo loves to hold off showing software until closer to launch. I expect at least 3 Switch exclusives to be announced at E3, and they will release this year. Pikmin 4 perhaps. Whatever Retro has been working on. Nintendo keeps saying thats its important to roll out compelling content on a consistent basis, and E3 will fill in some of the gaps.
exactly, they've done it before in Wii U's first year, same will happen here.
Nintendo's announcements for Switch already are far more compelling imo, so the hidden stuff are gonna be extra good.

The nintendo switch is estimated to be around 40 million units by 2020. Who the hell even thought of this estimation? Nintendo Wii U was expected to sell 100 million units and look how that turned out.

Koenig

The Architect
I mean, I would hope so. Otherwise what has all of their studios been doing in the mean time? Here's hoping for an E3 blow out. (And press conference? It won't happen, but one can dream)

I mean, I would hope so. Otherwise what has all of their studios been doing in the mean time? Here's hoping for an E3 blow out. (And press conference? It won't happen, but one can dream)
There's no hoping, this is a common occurrence.
New Super Luigi U: Announced in February, 3 months after launch
Game and Wario: Announced at E3 2012, 7 months after launch
Pikmin 3: Revealed at E3 2012, 7 months after launch
Pokemon Rumble U: Sketchy, but I think some point in February, 3 months after launch
Wonderful 101: Revealed at E3 2012 under the name Project P-100, 7 months after launch
Wii Party U: Announced in a January Direct, 2 months after launch
Wii Fit U: Revealed at E3 2012, 7 months after launch
Wii Sports Club: Revealed during a Wii Fit U Direct, 10 months after launch
Mario and Sonic 2014: Announced in a May Direct, 6 months after launch

Just Nintendo's first party offerings. For games that released in it's first year.

There's no hoping, this is a common occurrence.
New Super Luigi U: Announced in February, 3 months after launch
Game and Wario: Announced at E3 2012, 7 months after launch
Pikmin 3: Revealed at E3 2012, 7 months after launch
Pokemon Rumble U: Sketchy, but I think some point in February, 3 months after launch
Wonderful 101: Revealed at E3 2012 under the name Project P-100, 7 months after launch
Wii Party U: Announced in a January Direct, 2 months after launch
Wii Fit U: Revealed at E3 2012, 7 months after launch
Wii Sports Club: Revealed during a Wii Fit U Direct, 10 months after launch
Mario and Sonic 2014: Announced in a May Direct, 6 months after launch

Just Nintendo's first party offerings. For games that released in it's first year.
And how many of those games are worth anybody's time?

And how many of those games are worth anybody's time?
what?
Tastes vary, friend, I cant answer for you. I'll answer for me: NSLU, Game and Wario, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Wii Party U, Wii Sports Club.

That was never my point anyway, my point was Nintendo doesnt announce their entire year lineup before their console launches or even on the day it does, they riddle out their announcements. Do I agree with that strategy? Not really, but its what they do.

Koenig

The Architect
Too be fair, only two of those were of particular high quality objectively speaking, though about half of them were worth while depending on yours taste. I am far more hopeful for the Switch that I was with the Wii U, considering it allows them to focus all of the development in one place and (ideally) put more time in each of them. (Now if only the Switch can secure western support I would be much more hopeful still)

Last edited:
what?
Tastes vary, friend, I cant answer for you. I'll answer for me: NSLU, Game and Wario, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Wii Party U, Wii Sports Club.
Exactly. People still like motion controls in games simply because that's what makes them like to play some games to begin with. If the game is enjoyable with motion controls, then that's not the game's fault but rather to the one who doesn't find it enjoyable that way.

Now to those complaining about the Dock price, we don't know what exactly is the reason its priced like that so we will now it when it comes but till then, I advise you guys to just play the waiting game and see how it goes.

hell if forbes is gonna make me turn off my adblocker.
I dont think anyone takes much stock into analysts anymore. I will say that the "100 million" estimate was something Nintendo thought internally in the beginning and did not reveal that until last year. I dont think much analysts were that hyperbolic, even if Wii was a massive success. We shall see.

DarkDepths

Your friendly neighbourhood robot overlord
As much as I'd like to be hopeful, I'm not particularly. I think Nintendo has a new strategy: make as many games as possible, then sit on them until the time is right. When Switch comes out, it will have been about 1.5 years since Pikmin 4 was "very close to completion." Assuming Pikmin 4 isn't what we've seen on the 3DS (and I don't think it is), then we've had 1.5 years of knowing absolutely nothing about a game that has probably been shippable for a year. How about Mario Odyssey? Apparently it's very near to complete as well, but they're holding on to it until holiday when it will have a chance to sell gangbusters.

Of course, lining up your software so that it fits into the best slot isn't new. I do think it's fairly new of Nintendo, however, to sit on something for more than a year without even mentioning it. If they're trying to reduce the "drought" problem, and they certainly are, then they want to make sure they have a consistent flow of games. So here is how 2017 shaping up for what I think Nintendo will consider to be "important" games (I've just plonked in games where I think they'll likely fit in some cases):
  • March: Zelda
  • April: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  • May: Arms (?)
  • June: ___
  • July: Splatoon 2 (?)
  • August: ___
  • September: Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (?)
  • October: Elder Scrolls (?)
  • November: Fire Emblem Warriors (?)
  • December: Mario Odyssey (?)
So in my mind, Nintendo probably only sees 2 gaps, both of which are in the summer. Yes, I think they see Elder Scrolls as important in the lineup and will include that in their "momentum calculus". I think they're also going to include replayability into that calculus. In other words, I think they'll look at that first open slot and say "you know, we've got Mario Kart and Arms out just before it, that should satisfy people while they wait for Splatoon." And then they're going to look at that second slot and say "you know, we've got Splatoon, that'll hold people while they wait for Xenoblade."

Of course, I'm not sure of the timing of many of these, but I think Xenoblade is likely and end of summer game, and Elder Scrolls is listed as "Autumn," and I don't think they will want to have those two releasing in the same time frame.

So we've got two holes in the year that Nintendo will probably imagine will be easily filled by the general mass of 3rd party games (of which there are enough to give some sense of bulk, if only the slightest).

So I don't think we're all that likely to see more exclusives this year. I think they're building an internal backlog so that they can sustain a similar pace in year 2, likely with Pikmin, Donkey Kong perhaps, I'd wager a guess at Pokemon, and wouldn't be at all surprised to see an Animal Crossing game come out early next year as well.

So yeah, I think they're holding back, only I think they're holding back for next year, not this year. I think they already have the games, or at least believe they have the games, to largely carry them through 2017 - big franchises that sell systems too like Zelda, Mario, and Mario Kart (which I'm counting as still fairly considerable since there were only 12 million Wii U owners).

I'm not sure that means they won't show anything at this E3. I suspect they will largely focus on the rest of this year, talking more about games like Mario, Xenoblade, Splatoon, Fire Emblem, and I also suspect a bunch of smaller games ala Snipperclips. Then I think we will get a bit of an almost-in-depth look at a game or two coming early in 2018, and then some brief announcements of some of the bigger games for 2018 (Metroid).

Speaking of Bomberman R, I find it very odd that people are excited about that game despite Konami being all rotten. Guess since Konami owns Hudson, its all praise for....Hudson?

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Super Bomberman R looks a lot better in the Treehouse footage than the trailer for the game. I thought the game looked ugly as hell from the trailer, but now I'm starting to appreciate its style. I really like that the different bombermans have different personalities and animations, it's just a nice touch. Nice to see that all the classic rules and map sizes are also intact in this game, it looks like a very classic experience at its core. I think I will get it.

(Skip to 8:30 for multiplayer footage.)

Speaking of Bomberman R, I find it very odd that people are excited about that game despite Konami being all rotten. Guess since Konami owns Hudson, its all praise for....Hudson?
Hudson's developers were the bomb. As long as they weren't too affected by the merge with Konami, Bomberman has a chance to still be a good game.

DarkDepths

Super Bomberman R looks a lot better in the Treehouse footage than the trailer for the game. I thought the game looked ugly as hell from the trailer, but now I'm starting to appreciate its style. I really like that the different bombermans have different personalities and animations, it's just a nice touch. Nice to see that all the classic rules and map sizes are also intact in this game, it looks like a very classic experience at its core. I think I will get it.

(Skip to 8:30 for multiplayer footage.)

Hudson's developers were the bomb. As long as they weren't too affected by the merge with Konami, Bomberman has a chance to still be a good game.
Everything I'm hearing about Bomberman from people who've played it points to it feeling like a very budget title, which makes me quite sad.

DarkDepths

So it's 2am, I'm lying here in bed in my underwear (sorry if this is getting to sexy for you), and I've just had a thought about Switch launch timing. [Editors note: At time of completion it's now 3:30 am. I present to you my thesis entitled "Late Night Ramblings of a Guy You Might Having Difficulty Believing is Not a Crackhead Talking About Video Games and Junk"]

So to start, this is a thought in regards to solving problems they had with the Wii U. Most people, I think, probably remember the Wii U as having a fairly slow start. But the numbers were actually pretty decent at launch: somewhere around 3.5 million units in the first 2 months.

This, by the way, was better than either PS3, or 360 did in their launch months. Wii U did 400,000 in first week in the US, whereas PS3 did 200,000, and 360 did about 300,000 but in two weeks. And though these are only US numbers, if you look at Japanese numbers they seem to tell the same story.

And by the way, I think this really puts the 2 million units for March in perspective.

Of course, PS4 and Xbone did quite a bit better out of the gate, but I honestly think that was a sort of cultural anomaly.

Anyways, the point is, Wii U did pretty well through launch and then tanked in about the 3rd month. That's sort of to be expected, since the holiday rush had ended. However the lack of compelling content is I think what really killed it there. You didn't really know what to look forward to. You round Christmas and the next "big" games are Lego City and Monster Hunter, which are still 3 months away. Meanwhile, you still haven't really had a big Nintendo release. Sure you've got NSMBU and Nintendo Land, and you've also got ZombiU, Assassin's Creed and Mass Effect, and a few other 3rd party games, but you don't really have the bread and butter that's really going to drive people to a Nintendo console over Sony, MS, or just PC.

So March comes and goes and you've got... Game and Wario in June. Cool... but still not something to drive an install base. Then we get to June, and now we start hearing about 3D World, Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Smash is becoming real. We're getting content. But still, your next big game is Pikmin in August. Followed finally by 3D World in November. And then they sort of cobble together a rhythm through holiday 2013.

I consider 3D World to be the first major game that really gives you a reason to get a Wii U. Yes there were some other cool things along the way (like Wonderful 101, and Monstet Hunter), but nothing quintessentially Nintendo. At this point though, momentum is a distant memory.

So, first of all, I think Nintendo's lineup for Switch in year 1 is infinitely better than Wii U's, especially is you skipped the Wii U. More succinctly, the Wii U had *nothing* until Mario at the end of year 1. Switch will start the year with Zelda, followed by Mario Kart, and Splatoon, then end with Xenoblade (unless it's delayed...), and finally Mario. You might even be able to toss in Arms if it turns out to be good, but I excluded it since I didn't think it was fair if I was also excluding Pikmin from the Wii U list (which I did because, let's be honest... Pikmin is cool but it's also quite niche).

So I think the Switch lineup is better. But, what does that have to do with launch timing. I shall tell you! The Wii U, despite not having a real system seller, still managed really good sales in the first 2 months. And then, after launch hype dissapated and people realised that the motivating Nintendo games they want aren't there, everything dried up, in month 3. Month 3 is rough anyways, as I said before, because it's usually mid-January to mid-February, and people aren't buying leisure items. But people especially weren't buying Wii U.

Month 3 is important. You're no longer the new kid on the block. Cute neighbours aren't bringing you baked goods any more. Now, they want to know how your grilling skills stack up, do they want you at their next BBQ?

So I think Switch will sell well in months 1 and 2, because it's new and there are enough people who will buy it because it says Nintendo on the box. But they need a strong Month 3. I think they've probably got Arms, but I think more importantly than any game... they have a venue on the doorstep: E3.

The problem with February is that no one is really talking about video games. That's not the case in the days leading up to E3. Of course! And E3 itself is of course a great place to talk up games that are coming. So the lineup is actually probably more like:

1. Zelda
2. Mario Kart
3. Arms
4. E3
5. Splatoon

All back-to-back. This looks like an excellent way to drive momentum through those critical post launch months. So much so that I've convinced myself that Nintendo has probably chosen March due to this timing.

As I said in a previous post, I think E3 will focus mostly on things we already know about for this year, but will also talk about early 2018, and also briefly mention some of the heavy hitters we can expect throughout next year.

I do think that this year is largely known to us already (maybe there is 1 more big game, but I kind of doubt it, just based on my previous comparison vs Wii U year 1). But I also expect that we will see a slightly better year in 2018, with more regular releases of perhaps more niche titles like Pikmin, mixed with the occasional big game like Pokemon.

Anyways, this has been a bit of a ramble mess, but I hope you got my intent!

Goodtwin

I do think by launching in March, it gives Switch two periods opportunities for strong sales in 2017. Launch sales are always strong, Christmas isn't a requirement for strong launch sales. By time Christmas does come around, Switch will have a very compelling library of games making it an attractive Christmas gift. Basically, I don't see a scenario where Switch doesn't sell well during both of these periods, giving Switch a strong first year.

Last edited: