Nintendo Switch - Official Thread

Koenig

The Architect
Bingo
http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/...by-usb-c-cannot-be-charged-in-kickstand-mode/
"According to our source at Nintendo, as well as a source close to the production of the reveal trailer for the Switch, the hardware model shown in the reveal featured a USB-C port for power, situated in the centre of the bottom edge of the tablet. This port will be able to be used to charge the handheld while away from the Switch Dock.

Additionally, both sources have made it clear that the position of the USB-C port on the handheld means you will not be able to charge it while the system is propped up on its kickstand.

The move from a proprietary charger standard to a high-capacity, non-proprietary cable may be a move to counter the system’s reported mediocre battery life. Our source at Nintendo suggests that the system’s poor battery life may be mitigated by the ability to quickly charge it using a portable battery pack or a USB port."

Also another tidbit
http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/...itch-dock-doesnt-support-external-usb-drives/
"A source at Nintendo has confirmed to Let’s Play Video Games that the company doesn’t have any plans to support USB Hard Drives being connected to the Nintendo Switch Dock to expand system storage.

Nintendo’s concern internally is that allowing consumers to attach large external drives to the Dock will cause players to see the system as less inherently portable, harming their core branding for the system as a portable home console.

Additionally, Nintendo want to ensure that players can at any time disconnect the handheld from the dock without having to wait for games, save data or other information to sync first. Nintendo’s solution to this is to only allow data to be stored on the handheld, so that any time you disconnect the handheld all the same data is available to the player."

Strange decision. There are clearly USB ports on the dock, and LPG has reaffirmed Emily Rogers' specs, which include support for USB 3.0. They likely are just there to charge controllers but having a 3.0 on there (rumored) seems pointless then.
I hope that the kickstand does not prevent the NS from being charged; that seems like a pretty significant design flaw.

I hope that the kickstand does not prevent the NS from being charged; that seems like a pretty significant design flaw.
The kickstand itself doesnt prevent you from charging the console, using it in its kickstand mode does, since its on the bottom. I suppose you could try, theres probably a charger design that allows the console to balance on top of the cable.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Here is a Q&A with Nintendos President.

The thing that caught my eye on this is @Goodtwin @EvilTw1n @repomech @juegosmajicos That when asked how his first year has been he speaks of 3 years prior talking with Miyamoto and Tadake and they talked about what it would take to turn Nintendo totally around.

I said the these guys the other night "I think that atleast when they acquired DeNA they looked at Nintendo as a company and said. "It's gonna take a few years to totally rebrand your company and this date of Oct 20th 2016 is when we effectively do that". I think this has been a long lauded plan".

Come to find out from this Q&A it really was a long laid plan. But when look that the Nintendo from 2015 if you had half a brain you knew Nintendo needed rebranding.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...g-switch-q-a-with-president-tatsumi-kimishima

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/nintendos-switch-last-bastion-of-the-mid-budget-and-niche-game
Interesting article from Jeremy Parish. Echoes something that I've felt recently. The Switch might not be the console that receives all these AAA ports, in fact I believe that will dry up relatively quick aside from CoD and sports, but its gonna be something that handheld devs, indie devs, and niche game devs can more easily tackle than other consoles. Thats more than enough for me, and hopefully that is what comes to pass.

of course, the negs of this prospect are worth considering as well
http://www.usgamer.net/articles/the-nintendo-switchs-lonely-niche

Last edited:

Goodtwin

I agree with that article while heartedly. The AAA Western publishers have nearly destroyed the mid budget games, and developers trying to work in that some have moved to hand helds, pc and mobile. Mobile is huge, but comes with tremendous limitations, mostly control limitations. I do think from a tech specs perspective, we want to know if it has the power to run AAA games, but honestly inferior versions of those games won't drive Switch sales. It's going to be the unique offerings that really drive consumers to the platform. So it's very important to work with 3DS and Vita developers. Third party support doesn't exclusively mean EA and Ubisoft. We want them on board, but the 3DS had shown how a platform can do even without them.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Odo

I truly believe that if the Switch sells like Nintendo wants it to, that we may see some smaller form Switch hybrids in the future, and that would be the end of the 3DS. Maybe a Switch the size of the New 3DS XL, even with a clamshell to prevent scratching on the screen when people want to toss it into pockets or bags.

With the 3Ds being the main money maker for Nintendo for the next few months, the last thing you want to do is tell consumers that the system they may buy will be obsolete in a few months.
Remember, the DS was supposed to be a 3rd Pillar for Nintendo, and we all know what happened to the Gameboy line of hardware after that.
I think the era of pillars continues, but not in the way people think.
Going forward, I see 2, possibly 3, pillars for Nintendo. In one you have the Switch, a consolidated Nintendo box. In the other, you have their mobile initiative. In the potential third depending on its own success, you have VR, which I dont think they will personally make devices for, instead they'll act as a third party to another device or attach it to their mobile pillar.

But yes, 3DS should be phased out, and I think it is. Look at the upcoming releases for it. Barring Pokemon, its all B-teams and ports, I dont expect that to change after those first two quarters are finished, all A-teams need to be on Switch in order to make that fly. Next E3 will be heavily Switch focused, Nintendo has stated as such. Of course they arent going to say its dead, but they are giving the exact same messaging with 3DS as they did with Wii U prior to this reveal. 2017 wont be bare for 3DS users, but its not gonna receive priority. I expect the fall off to be pretty grim in 2018, but all that remains to be seen dependent on Switch's success.
A Switch the size of iPhone 7+, $150, is all I want. Plus I believe it would make Switch family sell 70m easily if 3DS dies.

About 3DS, I think the only way for 3DS goes on or gets a successor, is if Switch fails. It's unlikely, but in case Switch fails like Wii U, the last chance for Nintendo is a 3DS HD.

Yet, Switch failing or not, I think 2017 is the last year of 3DS content support which makes it an extraordinary console, though. Many people said that 3DS would die in 2016 or 2015, but it's still alive.

Last edited:

Odo

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/nintendos-switch-last-bastion-of-the-mid-budget-and-niche-game
Interesting article from Jeremy Parish. Echoes something that I've felt recently. The Switch might not be the console that receives all these AAA ports, in fact I believe that will dry up relatively quick aside from CoD and sports, but its gonna be something that handheld devs, indie devs, and niche game devs can more easily tackle than other consoles. Thats more than enough for me, and hopefully that is what comes to pass.

of course, the negs of this prospect are worth considering as well
http://www.usgamer.net/articles/the-nintendo-switchs-lonely-niche
I agree with that article while heartedly. The AAA Western publishers have nearly destroyed the mid budget games, and developers trying to work in that some have moved to hand helds, pc and mobile. Mobile is huge, but comes with tremendous limitations, mostly control limitations. I do think from a tech specs perspective, we want to know if it has the power to run AAA games, but honestly inferior versions of those games won't drive Switch sales. It's going to be the unique offerings that really drive consumers to the platform. So it's very important to work with 3DS and Vita developers. Third party support doesn't exclusively mean EA and Ubisoft. We want them on board, but the 3DS had shown how a platform can do even without them.

Sent from my SM-G360V using genital warts
I doubt Switch will get AAA PS4 titles. My expectations for Switch is just handheld franchises and niche games.

Goodtwin

Reports are saying that Wii U ends production at the end of the week. This tells me Nintendo wants Wii U pretty much removed from store shelves in preparation for Switch. I'm somewhat surprised, but it doesn't look like Nintendo is even trying to make one last push with Wii U this Christmas. I guess clear out remaining inventory, and then RIP for Wii U. I have a feeling this could have something to do with the price point of the Switch. If they are goin going to come out with a price lower than $299, its kind of hard for them to have their older system sitting there for more money.

I'm not sure on what to expect honestly from the western developers with Switch. If its not a total technical science project to port games, I expect them to test the waters next year. Nintendo's launch period is actually beneficial to those developers. The majority of the big third party games come out in the 2nd half of the year, so this would give Nintendo time to get the Switch up and running with their first party offerings at launch, and give third parties a decent install base to sell to later in the year. The Switch is going to sell 5 million units pretty quick just based on games like Zelda BoTW. So if EA wants to test the waters with Madden 18 in August, they will have a decent userbase ready to go, and at the same time wont be competing with Nintendo's high profile launch lineup. January will tell us a lot. The more support the better, but I really do feel like Switch will sell based on the exclusives. I stand by my believe that Nintendo will sell a boat load of units in Japan. With games like Dragon Quest XI and Splatoon being all but confirmed, its hard to see how it cant launch out of the gates there. I think selling the Switch in Japan will be easier than the Wii, and that did pretty well. In the West, getting Mario Kart, Smash, and Splatoon out asap with proper voice chat guarantees the platform long term success.

I know Nintendo is saying the 3DS will still be supported into 2018, but we heard the same bullcrap about the Gamecube and Wii when their successors were announced, it never happens. Sure, the 3DS will still be on store shelves as long as consumers are buying them, but Nintendo's development group is most certainly focused on Switch. This is basically it for Nintendo, another hardware flop like the Wii U and Nintendo will go third party. We probably have upwards of 10-15 first party titles in development right now. Retro Studios has been at work for a couple years now with whatever they are working on. Monolithsoft hard at work on their next project since finishing Xenoblade X. Not to mention Nintendo has improved relations with Tantalus after doing Zelda TP HD, so that opens up the door for some remasters. I really feel like Nintendo will be going all out on this one. Prepared, ready to go, and let this determine the direction of the company in the future.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
Guys, I have 5 words for you: The Wonderful 101 on Switch :mdrool:

I would love for that to happen, hell, I would love if more Wii U games would get a remastering of some sort.
if done without kamiya then hell yeah... bayo 2 proved to me that though he is great at developing a concept, the rest of platinum can itterate upon it to a much higher quality without him

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
if done without kamiya then hell yeah... bayo 2 proved to me that though he is great at developing a concept, the rest of platinum can itterate upon it to a much higher quality without him
Ohhhhhhhh Mighty.........I wanna argue this, but I also wanna support it at the same time. It's something to think on for sure.

I recognize this has been talked about on a bit, and its not entirely credible, but I'm gonna bring it up anyhow just to get it out of the way.
I failed to do that with the performance module bullshit and we got 3 pages of wasted speculation.

Last week on 4chan's /vg/ board, in an /mhg/ thread (Monster Hunter General), this post was made.

He goes on to elaborate that the game is not a Vita game, it is planned for PS4. And that the internal strife is about all the mechanical and gameplay changes.
Nothing was made of it at the time, but 8 hours later, this was announced at the MH Direct.

Some scary implications there. Coupled with the recent news that Capcom wants Monster Hunter to grow and recognizes that handhelds aren't enough- its worrying.

Couple of things worth noting, in refusal.
For one, at this point the Direct was announced, and speculation was running high so it doesn't seem unlikely that someone would post out baseless rumors. XG always sounded ridiculous to me, but X-X is also a hell of a guess. However, you'd think this friend would know the official name of the game, considering the Direct was only hours away and how much they know about the development of other projects.
We also have a contradiction here as well. Sony reportedly wants a Monster Hunter game to win back Japan, but then a few lines later they mention changing the games mechanics to better appeal to the Western market (a common line for people that should stay far away from Monster Hunter is "bring it to consoles so it can have better gameplay" :|). So which is it, because I dont think Japanese fans would take kindly to the kinds of changes mentioned. The contract details sound dumb but oddly specific.
I know Frontier exists, and its nothing new to the series, but putting a mainline game on a console with online you have to pay for would be a step back at this point. The relationship with Sony is a weird one, SFV has been a flop and I can't imagine Nintendo would let something like this slip by with the relationship they've had with MH and Capcom on this series as of late. I mean they only just got done with a Direct, c'mon.

Anyways, thats all that needs to be said about this I think. I dont buy it, I think Switch just makes so much more sense, but stranger things have happened.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I recognize this has been talked about on a bit, and its not entirely credible, but I'm gonna bring it up anyhow just to get it out of the way.
I failed to do that with the performance module bullshit and we got 3 pages of wasted speculation.

Last week on 4chan's /vg/ board, in an /mhg/ thread (Monster Hunter General), this post was made.

He goes on to elaborate that the game is not a Vita game, it is planned for PS4. And that the internal strife is about all the mechanical and gameplay changes.
Nothing was made of it at the time, but 8 hours later, this was announced at the MH Direct.

Some scary implications there. Coupled with the recent news that Capcom wants Monster Hunter to grow and recognizes that handhelds aren't enough- its worrying.

Couple of things worth noting, in refusal.
For one, at this point the Direct was announced, and speculation was running high so it doesn't seem unlikely that someone would post out baseless rumors. XG always sounded ridiculous to me, but X-X is also a hell of a guess. However, you'd think this friend would know the official name of the game, considering the Direct was only hours away and how much they know about the development of other projects.
We also have a contradiction here as well. Sony reportedly wants a Monster Hunter game to win back Japan, but then a few lines later they mention changing the games mechanics to better appeal to the Western market (a common line for people that should stay far away from Monster Hunter is "bring it to consoles so it can have better gameplay" :|). So which is it, because I dont think Japanese fans would take kindly to the kinds of changes mentioned. The contract details sound dumb but oddly specific.
I know Frontier exists, and its nothing new to the series, but putting a mainline game on a console with online you have to pay for would be a step back at this point. The relationship with Sony is a weird one, SFV has been a flop and I can't imagine Nintendo would let something like this slip by with the relationship they've had with MH and Capcom on this series as of late. I mean they only just got done with a Direct, c'mon.

Anyways, thats all that needs to be said about this I think. I dont buy it, I think Switch just makes so much more sense, but stranger things have happened.
*inserts bananas into ears and gouges out eyes*

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
The only thing I find believable about that rumor is that it sounds like a modern Capcom move. Capcom has a tradition of raising their franchises and developers to full maturity, then trading them to pimps for a few bags of rice.

If it's true, I guess we should expect a Kickstarter project in a couple of years, "Beast Hunters".

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
The only thing I find believable about that rumor is that it sounds like a modern Capcom move. Capcom has a tradition of raising their franchises and developers to full maturity, then trading them to pimps for a few bags of rice.

If it's true, I guess we should expect a Kickstarter project in a couple of years, "Beast Hunters".
*takes bananas outta ears, cuts off ears*

Goodtwin

Even if PS4 is getting this new exclusive Monster Hunter, would that stop Capcom from bringing out a more traditional Monster Hunter for Switch? Something like Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate?

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Even if PS4 is getting this new exclusive Monster Hunter, would that stop Capcom from bringing out a more traditional Monster Hunter for Switch? Something like Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate?
Now we're getting back into the right mode of thinking. I haven't played many of the MH games. But 4 is the baddest of the bad IMO.........and I would totally welcome a 4U on Switch

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
That's what the "Portable" series would be, according to the 4chan rumor. The last "Portable" game we got was MHPortable 3rd for the PSP, which came after Tri and before 3U. If it was on the Switch, though, there's nothing stopping it from being basically as good as any sequel, assuming it was developed by the same talented team that's made all the mainline MH games so far. In that case, I wouldn't be surprised if the westernized MH5 was being developed by Ninja Theory, of all game studios.

It'll be a sore point, not getting a numbered sequel like I've been wishing for, but I can live with what the rumor states.

btw, I just realized something, not related to above but Switch relate. Parking this post here to remind me, will edit after my gym time.
Right, so I was thinking about the scene in the trailer, which I now watch daily, where the dude on the plane plays Skyrim and removes the Joycons for some reason. Other than to just show off the kickstand feature, I think theres another reason why one would remove the Joycons. Maybe 2, actually.
Practically, it likely saves battery. The console charges the Joycons so removing them would give it some extra life.
Secretly, it hides your power level. Playing this thing in its normal, Joycon'd state, no matter how slick it looks, looks a bit funky to the normie. Now removing the Joycons, you have a non-threatening design. Playing in public for the timid gamer also becomes much easier, as they can hide away their joycons in their pockets or on their sides and look like a typical person watching a movie on a tablet in a cafe. At least until Google and Apple step up their crazy designs and make this normal for all. Looking at Google's dream thing, we wont have to hide for long.

Koenig

The Architect
I hope Nintendo abandons the "Nintendo Creator Program" along with all their other Youtube bull shit once the Switch comes out. Oddly enough, from the research I have done it seem NoA is relatively apposed to it, but NoJ seems to be the one that always pushed for the copyright claims and the like. It really does harm their image and make it difficult for fans to generate hype for their games through that particular medium, so I hope that Nintendo's new management picks up on that and changes their policy.

Goodtwin

I think Switch needs to launch without an abundance of third party games. Nintendo games drive hardware sales, but they also tend to canibalize third party game sales on the platform. Nintendo's launch in March makes perfect sense because of this. Wii U for a lot of late ports it first year because of when it launched, but Switch is positioned to instead be released months ahead of those titles. I can't imagine EA releasing Madden 17 for Switch at launch when Madden 18 releases in August, same goes with NBA 2K. Who knoes, maybe Call of Duty even makes a return. The point is, launch with about 10 games so that your not spreading software sales too thin, and then let your big hitting first party games create a 5 million or larger userbase for third parties to sell to.

Cubits

They're already talking up this skyrim release, when even if it's a launch title it'll be a six month late port, of a five year old game. This is in line with a lot of the third party stuff on the wii u (late AND worse).

While i want some big third party titles available at launch to try to invite people back to nintendo consoles, it has to be games which are releasing alongside the xbone/ps4 versions.

Or will people really be buying skyrim for the third time because it's now portable? How big IS that market?!

My hopes are for the switch to actually be the conglomeration of nintendo's home and portable consoles that we want it to be, so that we can finally get MH back on the big screen where it belongs (i was fine with the 3ds up-port!). It will also force the pokemon/home console relationship so many people have yearned for, although not quite in the grandiose way they all imagined it. But the new 3DS versions are getting pretty close to how we all imagined the console version would be, they really just need to fix the pokemon sound files.

I'm also optimistic that we'll get some neat controller options for the system. I'd love an arcade stick and buttons which bolt onto the screen to turn it into a mini tabletop cabinet! And the Wii U zapper totally needed to be a thing, and it might yet get a shot if the switch is successful enough.

Koenig

The Architect
They're already talking up this skyrim release, when even if it's a launch title it'll be a six month late port, of a five year old game. This is in line with a lot of the third party stuff on the wii u (late AND worse).

While i want some big third party titles available at launch to try to invite people back to nintendo consoles, it has to be games which are releasing alongside the xbone/ps4 versions.

Or will people really be buying skyrim for the third time because it's now portable? How big IS that market?!

My hopes are for the switch to actually be the conglomeration of nintendo's home and portable consoles that we want it to be, so that we can finally get MH back on the big screen where it belongs (i was fine with the 3ds up-port!). It will also force the pokemon/home console relationship so many people have yearned for, although not quite in the grandiose way they all imagined it. But the new 3DS versions are getting pretty close to how we all imagined the console version would be, they really just need to fix the pokemon sound files.

I'm also optimistic that we'll get some neat controller options for the system. I'd love an arcade stick and buttons which bolt onto the screen to turn it into a mini tabletop cabinet! And the Wii U zapper totally needed to be a thing, and it might yet get a shot if the switch is successful enough.
If Nintendo and 3rd parties sell it right, they can use use to portability to sell a number of old 3rd party games. Otherwise however, I have to agree with you.

theMightyME

I dunno man, I was super optimistic about that with the wii... I thought the bottom port would be used for all sorts of crazy options... but instead all the options were plastic casings that added no actual functionality

I remember thinking the wii remote add-ons could be super cheap, and even pack in with some games like an RTS pad with a bunch of buttons that plugs in to replicate keyboard options... or something... we just never got those options...

I am hopeful that 3rd parties will make different form factors for the joycons.... but past history there also tells me that the companies will show no initiative in being innovative, ergonomically sound, or even aesthetically pleasing

I think our only hope lies in nintendo themselves making cool joycon alternatives

theMightyME

If Nintendo and 3rd parties sell it right, they can use use to portability to sell a number of old 3rd party games. Otherwise however, I have to agree with you.
it should get most of the Japanese 3rd parties, except the ones trying to be western studios (like Capcom is now)

my concern is that the wii u had the potential to use off tv play as a big selling point... I was encouraged by stuff like this
https://www.penny-arcade.com/news/post/2013/01/07/wii-u-cod

in that example you have somebody who caught on to what could make it a big selling point... but that wasn't advertised at all.. only crazy gaming fans like us really knew about it

that is the problem... it relies entirely on nitnendo's own marketing... because the other companies will advertise their games, but not the switch specific features in them.... Nintendo has a to make a HUGE impression on gaming audiences so that just seeing the switch logo at the end of a trailer with all the other stuff advertises the portability to audiences.... because the 3rd parties wont have second commercials that show off switch functionality... they will do a 1 size fits all marketing approach... and that doesn't do anything for nintendo...

maybe nintendo should do the old thing sony did with occasion system comercials that show off games for the switch.... if they show 3rd aprty games showing off the switch functionality, and then around the same time people see those games advertised in the traditional way it will click together in their heads.... in the same way if you look back at a TV show it can sometimes be hard to remember if an event happened in this week's episode, or last week's episode... because it is all just the show.... maybe nintendo can use that.... but it would only work if THEIR ads run around the same time as the 3rd party ads

another option would be flat out sponsored ads from nitnendo... like how some commercials for games will have an xbox one splash screen kind of thing at the end of the commercial so that audiences think of it as an xbox one game even though it is actually a multiplat... they could show the switch clicking logo thing and have a voice over say "play it at home or on the go with nintendo switch".... but nintendo doesn't really have a history of doing stuff like that

theMightyME

@theMightyME Hopefully Nintendo has a drastic change in marketing this generation.
more than ANYTHING else thta is what nintendo needs.. thnakfully they seem to be taking some steps in the right direction... it seems they are doing more for brand recognition of their franchises recently.... and the swithc unveil trailer was like 1000000000 times better than anythign they did for the wii u... it got the point across in 3 minutes... unlike how the mainstream press thought the wii u was a tablet for the wii like 2 years after the wii u was out

I can't imagine them doing 3rd aprty advertising though... they should, but I can't even fathom it

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
@Cubits, you could probably get a lot of work done with a 3D printer. Design some peripherals for Switch games (like your wheel and pedal setup for MK8), print them in large quantities, and sell them online. And Kickstarter and Patreon the crap out of that.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
In terms of 3rd party games, I would be curious if you polled gamers, and asked them if they would play their favorite 3rd party games on a portable device. I would imagine quite a few of them would say yes. Nintendo could easily market the console as your on-the-go system with all the great AAA titles...provided it actually does get some quality AAA 3rd titles. And when I say quality, I am talking more in line with solid ports.

Cubits

I dunno man, I was super optimistic about that with the wii... I thought the bottom port would be used for all sorts of crazy options... but instead all the options were plastic casings that added no actual functionality

I remember thinking the wii remote add-ons could be super cheap, and even pack in with some games like an RTS pad with a bunch of buttons that plugs in to replicate keyboard options... or something... we just never got those options...

I am hopeful that 3rd parties will make different form factors for the joycons.... but past history there also tells me that the companies will show no initiative in being innovative, ergonomically sound, or even aesthetically pleasing

I think our only hope lies in nintendo themselves making cool joycon alternatives
The ports on the wii remote and wii u required the software to enable their functionality. So the only way to really make anything from the gamepad is to go in and hack the controller physically. At least with the joycon it's a much simpler task of repackaging the guts, and then we have a way of hot swapping control options without deteriorating the original form. That's the key difference.

This will actually benefit disabled gamers significantly, too, as their options for wii u and 3DS gaming has been severely limited by the hardware (it's quite costly to remodel a 3DS or gamepad). If we can custom design the interface for the primary controller for all nintendo games going forward, that's a huge step for accessibility.

Socar

Even with Pokemon Sun being better looking than X/Y, I seriously doubt that Game Freak can afford to make Pokemon feel like Breadth of the Wild visuals or something to the level of even 3D World. Maybe they will go as far as 720p but that's just about it.

Goodtwin

I added the Tantalus Games title on here, they have confirmed that they are going to work on a remaster of some sort.
I just saw that this morning, and in not surprised. They did great work porting Mass Effect 3 and Zelda TP HD to Wii U, and I bet they are the ones doing these Wii U remasters for Switch. They proved themselves as being very competent with Nintendo, and it doesn't make sense for Nintendo to use up internal resources doing these remasters. I could see Tantalus doing a lot of work on Nintendo remasters this gen. Wii U sold so poorly that it makes sense to offer some of Wii U games to what Nintendo expects to be a much larger audience on Switch. Especially during the launch window. Having Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros at launch alongside brand new Zelda and 3D Mario is certainly going to entice a lot of consumers who were interested in those games, but just didn't dig the Wii U. I also think that by offering these games at launch allows Nintendo the opportunity to revisit the IPs later in the systems life, an opportunity to keep momentum going later in the systems life cycle.