Nintendo Switch - Official Thread

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
I have had a couple of Duracell battery banks that a friend gave me nearly two years ago that I never used, and now it looks like I will have a use for them. They only hold 1850mah each, so a little less than half the Switch battery capacity, but at the very least I can always have one with me to guarantee a four hour session of gaming. Not that it will come up that often when playing mobile, most of my long sessions will be in front of the TV, but none the less, I am glad I kept them.

I want a pretty sturdy case for my Switch. I would prefer a pretty hard outer shell with a nice soft interior. Has anyone come across any good armor solutions for the Switch? I have only seen the rubber condoms for the joy cons, but nothing that surrounds the whole unit. I have had a Nerf one for my Gamepad for years that is really good, but haven't seen anything at all similar so far for Switch. I wouldn't need it for myself, but I know my nephew will want to play it, and in the hand of a 6 year old, its far less secure and the chances of a drop are far more likely.
The one I ordered has a little bit of everything I needed. Nice looking case (hard on outside), screen protector, blue textured joycon guards, emergency earbuds (will probably be crap though), capacity for a 12 Switch games, and some other junk I don't care too much about. I just saw it is in high demand and orders won't come in for people until May 7th. I'm glad I pre-ordered really early. You can find it here though if you can wait that long : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MT8XY4V/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Edit: Upon closer inspection it states that it is hard on the outside but it doesn't look to be too rigid except for the backing. I'm not too worried about it though, seems like it would still protect very well from a fall with all the cushioning inside.

Last edited:

simplyTravis

Well, this is just silly:

Basically they try to state that the kickstand is worthless by pushing it over. I see a few things that get me really excited about the kickstand:

1. There are times they are really pushing and it works really well.
  2. It snaps off and doesn't actually break! Owning kickstand cases for phones in the past, this would have been a great feature.
  3. Complaining about one angle? GTFO.
  4. This is still better than not having a kickstand at all.

simplyTravis

Man..CNET has all the hate out for the Switch.

This article talks about how the Nintendo Switch safety strap is safer with it off...of course if you read it...

https://www.cnet.com/news/nintendo-switch-joy-con-wrist-strap-hard-to-pull-apart/?ftag=COS-05-10aaa0g&utm_campaign=trueAnthem: Trending Content&utm_content=58b1d0b004d301238e38621b&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

But you know what's worse than having a remote fly out of your hand? Slicing your finger open when trying to get the blasted strap attachment off again.
Man, that sounds terrible! The thing is going to cut your hand! Yikes...

But then I read past that sentence...and the clickbait headline.

While the Joy-Con Wrist Strap slides onto a controller fairly easily, we've found it frustratingly hard to get it off again on both of our pre-release Nintendo Switch review units. It's a struggle, and it can break apart suddenly with a lot of force if you pull hard.

There's also not a lot of surface area to grab it safely -- which is probably why my fingernail sliced right into another finger the first time I had to remove them. (You don't need to see the bloody mess, right?) Perhaps if I'd just cut my fingernails it'd have been less of an issue.
My goodness. Cut your nasty fingernails.

fingernails.jpg
Pictured above: CNET's newest Nintendo coverage team!

I'm officially writing off Cnet as a website to read. I used to enjoy them for hardware and gadget reviews but noticed they really started losing quality control a few years ago. This goes to another level. Done.

According to some it does take more effort than you'd expect to disconnect them off the strap. Part of me suspects that is because they didnt unlock it after locking it in.
I never really got a chance, I did disconnect them from the Grip and that was new to me so I did fumble it on my first try, but my body is aware enough to know where my fingers lie relatively to each other.

I cant imagine how this person just plain walks.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I think Kimishima fucked CNET's mom and never called her.

How the hell do you cut yourself with your own nails? I guess Wolverine won't be playing the Switch anytime soon then.

On launch day, an interesting precedent will be set.
http://flyhighworks.heteml.jp/games/voez/

A game that can only be played undocked.
Looking at some videos, its apparent to see why thats the case
(Not Switch gameplay)
A fast, japanese, rhythm tapper.
Digital only game, but it does have an English language option. So depending on how easy it is to go into the Japanese eShop, and whether it requires a Japanese Nintendo Account (which I have squared away just in case), I'll probably dip into this.
Knowing devices like this, though, I predict this game will kill the battery faster than Zelda.

Speaking of which, part of me suspects that the reason there isnt a dual audio option in Zelda is because they dont want people buying the Japanese version, since it would be cheaper to do so. That line of thinking gives me hope that accessing the eShop is simpler than it is on other devices.

But yeah, there's a game that can only be played undocked. Could this mean that, in the future, there will be games that can only be played while docked (unlikely imo). I personally find this to be an interesting development, could bring in some mobile developers, for better or worse.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
On launch day, an interesting precedent will be set.
http://flyhighworks.heteml.jp/games/voez/

A game that can only be played undocked.
Looking at some videos, its apparent to see why thats the case
(Not Switch gameplay)
A fast, japanese, rhythm tapper.
Digital only game, but it does have an English language option. So depending on how easy it is to go into the Japanese eShop, and whether it requires a Japanese Nintendo Account (which I have squared away just in case), I'll probably dip into this.
Knowing devices like this, though, I predict this game will kill the battery faster than Zelda.

Speaking of which, part of me suspects that the reason there isnt a dual audio option in Zelda is because they dont want people buying the Japanese version, since it would be cheaper to do so. That line of thinking gives me hope that accessing the eShop is simpler than it is on other devices.

But yeah, there's a game that can only be played undocked. Could this mean that, in the future, there will be games that can only be played while docked (unlikely imo). I personally find this to be an interesting development, could bring in some mobile developers, for better or worse.
Bringing over more games in the end can be a good thing. What Nintendo could possibly do is create a "portable-only" section of the eShop for all games that can only be played undocked.

It also gives developers options if for example they want to create a touch-screen based game, and it also seems to confirm that Nintendo is letting developers how they want to make games for the Switch. This also I think semi-confirms that if a developer really wanted to, they could create a docked only game with maximum graphics, but it might seem strange though.

EDIT: Oh, and this game seems rather interesting. Basically like Guitar Hero, but with your fingers. So Finger Hero?

Bringing over more games in the end can be a good thing. What Nintendo could possibly do is create a "portable-only" section of the eShop for all games that can only be played undocked.

It also gives developers options if for example they want to create a touch-screen based game, and it also seems to confirm that Nintendo is letting developers how they want to make games for the Switch. This also I think semi-confirms that if a developer really wanted to, they could create a docked only game with maximum graphics, but it might seem strange though.

EDIT: Oh, and this game seems rather interesting. Basically like Guitar Hero, but with your fingers. So Finger Hero?
Basically.
Rhythm tappers have been around since the iPhone launched, a popular one in its day was Tap Tap Revenge I think.

Koenig

The Architect
If the Switch is getting portable only mod e(IE touch screen manditory) I would f'ing love to see Civilization VI come to the system. Civilization on the go would be amazing, especially if it was the true version of the game and not the diluted "revolution" spin-off.

I was talking to Matt about Monster Hunter the other day, and I came to the conclusion that I don't think we're getting Monster Hunter 5 any time soon. Maybe we'll get a reveal trailer this year, but I'm thinking it'll be like the Monster Hunter 4 reveal trailer, which was mostly conceptual and very different from the final game, and came two years before the game actually released in Japan. In any case, I think Monster Hunter 5 is when they'll finally move away from the PS2 formula to some extent, and they might be taking their sweet time to do that.

On the other hand, I think it's very likely that we'll get a Switch port of Monster Hunter XX (or Generations U?) which hasn't been announced for localization outside of Japan yet. We had that interview from a week ago where some dude from Capcom said that they were amazed by how easy it was to port things to the Switch, so I think MHXX is a no-brainer for them.
I could totally buy an HD up-res version of XX while we wait for 5 proper. Please... I need HD visuals, that 240p screen is not doing it for me. It's like I took a girl home on a date only to discover she has a much hotter sister who's attracted to me waiting in the wings. ;)

I've only been playing since 3U, but have picked up every game since. I'm still finishing my character in Generations since I picked it up later with a friend. The games are great, like you said the PS2 structure is kind of present throughout. The developer does an incredible job with the monster animations and combat with the existing engine. It'd be so great to see them cut loose and take it to the next level.

Sounds like it's time for them to Switch it up. (I'm sorry, I'm not that sober)

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I could totally buy an HD up-res version of XX while we wait for 5 proper. Please... I need HD visuals, that 240p screen is not doing it for me. It's like I took a girl home on a date only to discover she has a much hotter sister who's attracted to me waiting in the wings. ;)

I've only been playing since 3U, but have picked up every game since. I'm still finishing my character in Generations since I picked it up later with a friend. The games are great, like you said the PS2 structure is kind of present throughout. The developer does an incredible job with the monster animations and combat with the existing engine. It'd be so great to see them cut loose and take it to the next level.

Oooooooo we got us another monster hunter TNE!

Shoulder

I, too, also started MoHun with 3U, and while I have not accumulated as many hours as some of the other guys around here *coughMattavellecough*, it's always been good fun to hunt. I do also own 4U, but that I don't even have a hundred hours of playing time, so I should really step it up. I should think about playing as much 4U as possible before MH5 is launched for the Switch (I'm just calling it now to say it will make its way to the Switch).

Oh, and btw, maybe that girl is hotter, but is she as smart and intelligent? Like some games out there, they make look pretty, but after that, they become all glitchy, filled with bugs, and don't operate as smoothly as you'd hope. :mfancy:

Goodtwin

Impressive display of Indie games today. The eshop is going to be popping in a hurry. A lot of these games will be more attractive to me with Switch. I liked Runner on Wii U, but always thought it was a better portable game. I will be getting Runner 3 for sure.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Shoulder

Impressive display of Indie games today. The eshop is going to be popping in a hurry. A lot of these games will be more attractive to me with Switch. I liked Runner on Wii U, but always thought it was a better portable game. I will be getting Runner 3 for sure.

Sent from my SM-G360V using genital warts
Yup. Saw that Runner3 was coming to Switch, and immediately said,

This was really cool

A lot of new announcements, and surprisingly a lot of exclusives???
Fucking Runner 3 is an exclusive? I should have guessed, but somehow didnt expect that.
Nintendo is getting into familiar territory with their competitors, what with a lot of Timed and Console Exclusive announcements too. Thats fine I suppose.
But yeah, lot of good stuff, and its all this year, some at launch and some just right after.

all about that Blaster Master game!

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
This was really cool

A lot of new announcements, and surprisingly a lot of exclusives???
Fucking Runner 3 is an exclusive? I should have guessed, but somehow didnt expect that.
Nintendo is getting into familiar territory with their competitors, what with a lot of Timed and Console Exclusive announcements too. Thats fine I suppose.
But yeah, lot of good stuff, and its all this year, some at launch and some just right after.

all about that Blaster Master game!
A NEW MASTER BLASTER GAME!?!

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Normally I'm against midnight launches. The main reason, is because I think it makes you an easy target.........people know why your at the Gamestop at 12AM.......

THAT BEING SAID THERE HAVIN MIDNIGHT LAUNCH AT MY GS!!!!! IM GOIN AND IM TAKIN MY MARTIAL ARTS INSTRUCTOR WITH ME:msrs:

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
Super excited for several of those Nindies. Steve2 is definitely in for WarGroove and YookaLaylee.

As for midnight launch, the Best Buy I preordered to is not doing it. But the one in the bad part of town (Bradenton) is.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.

This is how I feel about Pocket Brawl. On PC it would be alright, but I have a lot of other fighting games to play there already. But on Switch, it's an obvious purchase for me. Because it's going to be the only 2D fighting game for a while, it might have a lot of early adopters, so there will be enough people to play against. The simplified inputs also go perfectly with the spontaneous local multi, and it has enough depth for online ranked play as far as I can tell.

Goodtwin

Nintendo Switch seems to really target the retro games crowd. Seems like a lot of emphasis has been on nostalgia dating back to the 8bit and 16bit era. I like it, it feels like we are Nintendos priority with Switch. They became a little side tracked with the casuals after the huge DS and Wii succeses. Not saying Nintendo isn't shooting for a broad audience, but the core long time Nintendo fan seems to be taking priority early on.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Nintendo Switch seems to really target the retro games crowd. Seems like a lot of emphasis has been on nostalgia dating back to the 8bit and 16bit era. I like it, it feels like we are Ninrwndos priority with Switch. They became a little side tracked with the casuals after the huge DS and Wii succeses. Not saying Nintendo isn't shooting for a broad audience, but the core long time Nintendo fan seems to be taking priority early on.

Yeah I was think about it seems Nintendo has come full circle. I like it that it seems like we're gonna get games developed NES - Switch style. I think there gonna have 8-bit to whatever Switch is in style. I'm super freakin excited about all this, and playing shovel knight recently and it being so excellent has really got me in the mood for a lot of different games from 8bit on.

Shoulder

Just make sure you guys rub one out prior to picking one up at midnight, so you don't blow your load when you first touch it. I want your bodies to be ready, but not THAT kind of ready. :mthumb:

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2017/03/01/nintendo-switch-review

IGN's review-in-progress of the Switch. Some stand out things for me:

-6.2-inch multi-touch 720p screen is a beauty. Color production is vibrant, and it’s bright enough to be played in fairly direct sunlight. Its generous viewing angles are a huge boon too, with a sweet spot large enough to make keeping an ideal picture easy

-Apparently, the left Joy-Con is an area where Nintendo could’ve spent a little more. I’m not the only person experiencing de-syncs with it relatively often when playing with the Joy-Con detached or in the Joy-Con Grip, leaving inputs temporarily unread until it reconnects a few seconds later. I’ve seen it happen occasionally with The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild – Link died more than a few senseless deaths this way – but more often when playing 1-2-Switch, which has several mini-games that require you to cover most of the Joy-Con with you hand, potentially interfering with its signal.

-I even had this problem playing from the Joy-Con Grip a mere 10 feet away from the Switch console, forcing me to scooch up further on my bed in order to maintain a reliable connection. Distance appears to be a factor. I didn’t have any problems when I played the system in handheld mode with the Joy-Con docked directly to the hardware, though.

-Breath of the Wild, which was developed simultaneously on the Wii U, seldom quite makes it all the way to 30 frames per second in TV mode, and it even dips far south of that when lots of particles or physics objects are on screen at once.

-However, these issues are soothed quite a bit by playing in handheld mode. For Breath of the Wild, the Switch renders in 720p in handheld mode instead of TV mode’s 900p, so framerates were more consistent (though some dips still occurred when there were a lot of particles and physics objects on screen). The compressed textures and lack of anti-aliasing were also far less impactful on the smaller screen, and combined with the lack of Joy-Con syncing problems, this made handheld mode my go-to when I wanted the best possible overall experience.

-Even if the Switch’s questionable internals and control issues don’t dissuade you from using it like a gaming console, it suffers numerous other issues and inconveniences when it’s hooked up to your TV. The most glaring is that there is no way to lay the system on its side while docked, which is particularly irritating given that the game card slot, headphone jack, headphone volume controls, and power button are all along the top of the system. If you, like many people, keep your consoles in an entertainment system of some kind with shelves, there simply isn’t a convenient way to get to any of this stuff.

-Sadly, this is far from the only practical inconvenience I ran into. If you wanted to opt for some premium wireless headphones, you can’t because there is no optical port on the Switch. There’s no LAN port either, which forces you to use wireless internet connections

Final thoughts

As a handheld, the Switch is a powerful piece of hardware with a gorgeous screen, but it's too large and power hungry to feel like you can really take it anywhere. As a console, it’s underpowered, unreliable, and lacking basic features and conveniences that all of its competitors offer. It’s nicely built and cleverly designed to be used in a variety of ways, but the bottom line is that the Switch doesn’t do any one of the many things it can do without some sort of significant compromise. Our testing will continue for the next few days as we try out the online features and other functions enabled by the day-one patch, but if I had to score it now I’d give it a 6.7.

Perhaps they're a bit too negative overall, but I imagine the issues he brought would be issues to some. No wireless headphones and no LAN port for internet. The vertical design always made me wonder where I'd put it on my tv stand since I saw it.

Digital Foundry also reported on desync issues for the left joy con. Seems like 8 meters is when it could have problems. He even said 2 meters away if the joy con is behind your back.

Perhaps too negative, but it's still worth noting that these can be issues to some people.

Shoulder

We can basically sum up these so-called reviews, like the Switch itself, incomplete for now.

This is also one of the reasons I am holding off on getting a Switch until later, and hopefully by that point, any of the initial jitters, and issues will be ironed out. And once again, not that it needs to be said again, but I have a shit ton of games I want to play first.

The Switch will be my reward for playing all these other games. :D

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
Perhaps they're a bit too negative overall, but I imagine the issues he brought would be issues to some. No wireless headphones and no LAN port for internet. The vertical design always made me wonder where I'd put it on my tv stand since I saw it.

Digital Foundry also reported on desync issues for the left joy con. Seems like 8 meters is when it could have problems. He even said 2 meters away if the joy con is behind your back.

Perhaps too negative, but it's still worth noting that these can be issues to some people.
I agree some of those issues could be issues for some people.

Honestly, why would someone put the JoyCon behind their back? I know he was just testing it, but no one is going to play with it behind their back.

And in terms of LAN port, he just means in Portable mode, right? Because wasn't there a whole thing about how 8 player LAN things were now possible with the docks?

Premium wirelesa headphones arent practical.
But do they all need an optical port to work?
I know Bluetooth sets arent supported, I dont think, but if you plug in headphones to the jack while its docked, you can get audio.

I agree some of those issues could be issues for some people.

Honestly, why would someone put the JoyCon behind their back? I know he was just testing it, but no one is going to play with it behind their back.

And in terms of LAN port, he just means in Portable mode, right? Because wasn't there a whole thing about how 8 player LAN things were now possible with the docks?
I meant an internet port. Internet has to be wireless or through a usb adapter like the Wii and U.

And isn't there a 1 2 Switch game where you're cowboys? I haven't been following it but don't you have to have the joycon by your side or something? I guess the person using the left one could have some interference there possibly.