Nintendo Switch - Official Thread

DarkDepths

Your friendly neighbourhood robot overlord
Yeah, I had been thinking "do I actually try to camp out and score one without the preorder?"

Then I got the call that the Mini was out of the shop. $419, plus $35 to fill it up. So yeah. So much for camping out.

I'll be an outcast with you. On my way home from work, I briefly thought about going and checking out the local store and perhaps waiting it out. But I live in Vancouver and it is therefore raining.

There are a couple of obscure shops that I'll drop in to tomorrow after work, but I expect to go home empty handed.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
now, 10 minutes out, with our hype at all time highs, if your dream sexual partner offered you a free fuck, but in return you couldn't play the switch for 3 months, would you take that deal?

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
now, 10 minutes out, with our hype at all time highs, if your dream sexual partner offered you a free fuck, but in return you couldn't play the switch for 3 months, would you take that deal?
Nope, I tell that bitch just like I tell y'all, "I'm about to leave my house in 15 mins. If your here when I get back cool, if not I will have ZELDA"

Peace

Odo

C'mon, you all know that when you open the Switch box you will find a message from Kimishima saying

"Surprise! We fooled you! This is a card for you to pick up your New Wii U coming out next year. Best Regards"

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
C'mon, you all know that when you open the Switch box you will find a message from Kimishima saying

"Surprise! We fooled you! This is a card for you to pick up your New Wii U coming out next year. Best Regards"
It was more like a love letter saying "we know this is what you thought WiiU would be.........we did too"

Is it true that Friend Codes are back?
sure is. Talked about it a few posts ago.
From what I know, it works more like the codes in Fire Emblem, where you input and send a request. Still far from ideally just using a username, but its not as bad as Wii/3DS with mutual adding needed. I think, I dont have one so I cant see for myself and no one has really detailed it since most everyone is adding each other from the acquaintance feature, which means you can add people you played against recently or friends from Miitomo.
Adding directly through social media accounts (like Miitomo did) or NNIDs will be added soon. Also theres a 300 friend limit, so thats nice.

SkywardCrowbar

Twintelle's loyal Husbando
I was #3 for Pre-Ring at my Gamestop. I ended up getting a Pro Controller which feels really wonderful in your hand.

Thoughts on the system:

Everything is very clean and sleak in the UI. It's shiny and neat in either Basic White or Basic Black. Download and connection times are lightning fast compared to the very sluggish Wii U. For example, it took me about 3 minutes to have Snipperclips fully downloaded.

Everything has been simplified, but that's not to say that anything is missing. It's just that Nintendo actually made a system with a UI that is modern instead of something that feels like it is still wearing plaid and denim and listening to Pearl Jam.

The Joy-Cons are very responsive, very cool, and just bring a lot of joy (hehe) to use. They really do feel like next generation WiiMotes. The Grip is also very comfortable in your hands; very nice of Nintendo to throw that in for free!

I've only played a bit of BotW, but I must say that it is GORGEOUS! Definitely a crisper look than any Wii U game I played.

EDIT: Friend code for the Switch is in my Signature, but here it is again: SW-7356-6406-3701

EDIT 2: I just got off the phone with Nintendo support and they told me that there is not a way currently to store your credit card information on the eshop, but that functionality will be coming sometime in the near future.

Last edited:

DarkDepths

Your friendly neighbourhood robot overlord
So, I went to the stores after work to see what I could see. And wouldn't ya know it, I couldn't see a damn thing.

In 3 stores I went to, there were literally 0 switch related products. No consoles, no controllers, no games, not even a cheap looking 3rd party carrying case. Nada. Zilch. The amount of switch merchandise was inversely proportional to yo' mammas waist line.

So I bought the most expensive micro SD card I could find and walked home in the rain.

Cubits

The character animations in Snipperclips are priceless! The whimsy really propels the game. The 2D physics engine really lets you get away with whacky stuff, too.
I managed to pick up a ball by rotating my character against it, turning it like a gear up the wall (which required a friction coefficient between the ball and wall/character). And you can shoot the ball into the hoop from underneath!
I also picked up shovel knight since it's now the complete package, and it has scratched my 2D castlevania/ducktales itch pretty well so far. It's a lot of game, and it's only 170MB.

Zelda is really very good, i'm surprised by how robust and flexible the physics engine is. There are... interesting ways to beat some of the shrines, for instance. I also love how the mountain goats die, imitating feinting goats. This game is huge, but absolutely bursting with details like that.

I do have a problem with my pro controller, however. If i gently tap down on the left stick it doesn't quite recentre, which causes my character to move. I tried recalibrating it in the system memory, but the problem is so ingrained that it can't actually finish the calibration routine. The right stick is absolutely fine, so i think i just have a dud potentiometer/spring unit. I'll have to get it replaced on Monday, it has almost killed me a few times in Zelda when trying to judge climbs. :p

We were playing 1-2 Switch at work on Friday, and were pretty disappointed when it didn't start with all of the games unlocked. I wanted to show off the HD rumble stuff, but the starting selection of games were pretty plain.

But today we ran through most of the games, and there's a bunch of fairly good stuff in there! The ball counting game really showed off the rumble well (it has MUCH better haptics than in the steam controller, FYI). There's also a dice game which really makes a case for playing the opponent instead of the screen. 1-2 Switch makes the occasional interesting observation about the definition of multiplayer video games, whilst also being padded out with trashy motion-based minigames. If you have a group of drunk and rowdy adults, or a pack of kids there might be value in this game, but it's not really for solo play or even a group of rational adults.

The hardware's pretty great though! The kickstand has a silicone lip which keeps it in place, and it hasn't failed me yet. The joy-cons are dense little nuggets with nice, clicky buttons. The menus are really zippy, the system download speed is great, the game suspension/load is nearly instant, and the eshop loads in five seconds. The eshop in particular though, is a bit bleak when compared to something like the wii u version.

Because i have to pick my wife up from work late at night sometimes, i've already been able to pull the switch out of the dock, drive to pick her up, play some fully-blown zelda while waiting for her, pausing it again, driving back, and resuming once more. It's pretty ace!

Last edited:

SkywardCrowbar

Twintelle's loyal Husbando
So far I've played Zelda which is amazing needless to say, Snipperclips, and Fast RMX.

Snipperclips is a boat load of fun. The characters have a lot of personality and the gameplay style really comes alive with the Joy-Cons.

Fast RMX is freaking beautiful and is a total rush to play. I never bought Fast Racing Neo on Wii U, so this is my first go with the series. Very addictive, high octane fun.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
My impression purely on the system itself:

It's beautiful. It's so beautiful it makes me feel far and ugly. I feel like the 4/10 nerd that scored with the 10/10 Ms. Worldwide intellectual beauty.

I do see the problem with the left joycon's stick. At first I had my switch hiding behind my TV, and depending on how I was holding my left joycon, it would lose connection with the system. I moved the system a little bit to the side, and I didn't have problems anymore, except when I got real lazy and would basically have my left joycon hanging low on the opposite side of the system.

Also, it's true that it takes a lot of force to remove the joycon straps. I didn't cut myself with my own nails or anything, but it's one of those cases where I had to convince myself that it's OK to use excessive force.

The little kickstand holds the system just fine in tabletop mode as long as the system isn't pushed with force in any direction. As for using it in public, it might be a problem if there's some wind or if the table that the system will sit on is wobbly.

Taking the system off the dock and putting it back in really is as seamless as all the videos demonstrated. If I had to leave on short notice for any reason, it really would be as simple as picking the thing up from the dock and taking it with me. Putting the system in sleep mode works flawlessly as well, saving the exact state of your game just as if you had only closed the lid on your DS.

I connected to my 5.2 GHz Wi-Fi effortlessly, and get about 2.5 MB/s download speed according to Nintendo's speedtest (my wired PC gets just about 3.0 GB/s). The eshop update took mere seconds. The general setup of the system also only took a couple of minutes.

I played about 8 hours in docked mode before I got a notification that my left joycon was low on battery. At that point I just took the system out of the dock and played it in portable mode with the joycons attached, as I understood that this would charge them. After playing like that for about an hour, I went back to docked mode and quickly after got the notification for low battery on the left joycon. Then portable again, then docked again, and notification again. So from what I gather, when playing in portable mode, the system itself is providing the joycons with just a little more power than they consume, rather than trying to charge them as quickly as it can.

I have played mostly with the joycons separated, without the grip. I find they are comfortable enough for this, and though some button and stick placements feel strange at first, I got used to it just as quickly as I got used to the Wii U gamepad's stick placement, and now it's not a problem for me. The only thing I'm disappointed in is that Breath of the Wild doesn't make much use of HD rumble. I really wanted to feel the snap of the bow and the weight of the swords, but it was not to be.

All in all, I'm really happy with the system, and with how streamlined everything is on it. Zelda is a whole other beast, of course, but that's for the other threads.

My impression purely on the system itself:

It's beautiful. It's so beautiful it makes me feel far and ugly. I feel like the 4/10 nerd that scored with the 10/10 Ms. Worldwide intellectual beauty.

I do see the problem with the left joycon's stick. At first I had my switch hiding behind my TV, and depending on how I was holding my left joycon, it would lose connection with the system. I moved the system a little bit to the side, and I didn't have problems anymore, except when I got real lazy and would basically have my left joycon hanging low on the opposite side of the system.

Also, it's true that it takes a lot of force to remove the joycon straps. I didn't cut myself with my own nails or anything, but it's one of those cases where I had to convince myself that it's OK to use excessive force.

The little kickstand holds the system just fine in tabletop mode as long as the system isn't pushed with force in any direction. As for using it in public, it might be a problem if there's some wind or if the table that the system will sit on is wobbly.

Taking the system off the dock and putting it back in really is as seamless as all the videos demonstrated. If I had to leave on short notice for any reason, it really would be as simple as picking the thing up from the dock and taking it with me. Putting the system in sleep mode works flawlessly as well, saving the exact state of your game just as if you had only closed the lid on your DS.

I connected to my 5.2 GHz Wi-Fi effortlessly, and get about 2.5 MB/s download speed according to Nintendo's speedtest (my wired PC gets just about 3.0 GB/s). The eshop update took mere seconds. The general setup of the system also only took a couple of minutes.

I played about 8 hours in docked mode before I got a notification that my left joycon was low on battery. At that point I just took the system out of the dock and played it in portable mode with the joycons attached, as I understood that this would charge them. After playing like that for about an hour, I went back to docked mode and quickly after got the notification for low battery on the left joycon. Then portable again, then docked again, and notification again. So from what I gather, when playing in portable mode, the system itself is providing the joycons with just a little more power than they consume, rather than trying to charge them as quickly as it can.

I have played mostly with the joycons separated, without the grip. I find they are comfortable enough for this, and though some button and stick placements feel strange at first, I got used to it just as quickly as I got used to the Wii U gamepad's stick placement, and now it's not a problem for me. The only thing I'm disappointed in is that Breath of the Wild doesn't make much use of HD rumble. I really wanted to feel the snap of the bow and the weight of the swords, but it was not to be.

All in all, I'm really happy with the system, and with how streamlined everything is on it. Zelda is a whole other beast, of course, but that's for the other threads.
yeah, dont think it has any HD rumble in it at all.
Also, yeah you're right on the joycons, pretty sure they dont actually charge unless they are snapped to the console in docked mode.

I've been playing and using it entirely in portable mode and fuck me I love it. The system really is a good looking kit, at least in this mode. I didnt expect it to connect to my 5g so that was a nice surprise.
I downloaded a demo, played some snipperclips with some cousins who visited, worked really nice.
I really like how easy it is to access other regional eshops and then how easy it is to just play them.
Alongside that, despite Zelda not having multi-language dual-audio, it was very easy to get that stuff working, didnt have to do the workaround stuff I was fearing.

I've got daintier hands :3 so the joycons felt really nice to me unsnapped and in the grip. But like I said, been playing exclusively in portable mode

Its a cool game machine, there's some obvious faults that they need to work out (hence the joke about betatesting), but I'm enamored. Can't wait to set it up and have my stupid LED lights attached to it.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
I'm watching DF's Switch overview of the system, and one interesting tidbit Tom said was that you must use the Dock itself to play games in docked mode. A standard USB-C to HDMI converter will not work, according to them. What this tells me is there is something in the dock itself that basically tells the Switch that it is docked, so it can run fully unlocked as a result.

And as I type this, iFixit has done a complete teardown of the Switch, Joy-Cons, AND the Dock. And wouldn't you know it, the Dock does have a small motherboard for all the connections, and some extra do-dads in it. This is likely WHY you must have the Switch docked in order to get docked mode, and can't get the same for just buying a USB-C to HDMI converter. This also means if you want to play on a TV while on a trip, you must bring the dock with you, which does mean more bulk to bring, but considering the early impressions I'm hearing of how good the screen itself is, this might be something very minor.

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nintendo+Switch+Teardown/78263

And best of all? The thing is EASILY repairable, so replacing fans, batteries, or reapplying thermal paste could be done in a pinch.

Socar

I have decided to get the Switch next year for a few reasons.

1. Although the price is reasonable, I feel that there's a good chance that the price drop is bound to happen. I have no issue with the price its in. Its just that i would feel a bit down for buying something with the real price only that it cut short that price.

Again I don't mind the price and if it remains the same, then I will buy it next year. I'm just having a feeling that it might end up getting a price drop.

2. Of all the games announced so far, only two games are the ones that I want and even then botw doesn't give me that addict feel that Odyssey gave me. By the time Odyssey's footage is revealed, it would end up getting close to the end of the year so might as well wait till next year for that.

I'm very confident that more games are going to come. But considering that there's a few games that I want for the 3DS and that the Switch's library isn't that huge yet....yeah, next year seems the best bet for that.

3. The switch has some technical issues that I'm pretty scared off so next year might fix all those issues in the end for that reason.

Yes, I'll be a bit frustrated that you guys are getting the upper hand here but at the same time, I have to look at the reality side a bit here as well.

Socar

Also to note...

Snipperclips

Breadth of the Wild

Super Mario Odyssey

Let's see how people will bash at Nintendo for not making creative games anymore.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
This also means if you want to play on a TV while on a trip, you must bring the dock with you, which does mean more bulk to bring, but considering the early impressions I'm hearing of how good the screen itself is, this might be something very minor.
maybe nintendo will make a portable dock... just a cable that splits in 2 with the split end going to a usb-a 3.0 and hdmi, and the other end going to usb c... with like a small piece of plastic at the split... skipping the additional options of extra usb ports for the sake of portability... they could even make the plastic piece a little bigger and include some kind of a winding function... like you see on some headphones

maybe make it like the size of a hockey puck....

Cubits

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...nd_my_blind_husband_played_12_switch_for_two/

That's actually an incredible use case for 1-2 Switch! The game is, in the vast majority, based on audio and tactile cues.

I was also recently thinking about a puzzle game in which two people play on a single switch with the joy-cons inserted in backwards (which totally works, btw). One person can see and manipulate the touch-screen while the other can't see but has the physical controls. It's a little bit like the great game "keep talking and nobody explodes", or affordable space adventures.

Advancing on that idea would be a local ad-hoc multiplayer game where two switches are connected, but each player controls the other's game as if the joy-cons were swapped over.

There's a lot of possible new ways to play with the switch, and 1-2 Switch is an important game for elucidating that even if it's not the best self-contained experience.