Nintendo Switch - Official Thread

Cubits

maybe nintendo will make a portable dock... just a cable that splits in 2 with the split end going to a usb-a 3.0 and hdmi, and the other end going to usb c... with like a small piece of plastic at the split... skipping the additional options of extra usb ports for the sake of portability... they could even make the plastic piece a little bigger and include some kind of a winding function... like you see on some headphones

maybe make it like the size of a hockey puck....
It's not exactly cost-effective since i'd have to start with a dock, but i could totally turn one into something a little bigger than a chromecast!

The guts of the thing are just a usb-hdmi converter, but the usb device simply has something like a unique ID to break compatibility with third party offerings for now. I'm sure it won't be long until they've been reverse engineered and a commercial pocket-dock is released.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
It's not exactly cost-effective since i'd have to start with a dock, but i could totally turn one into something a little bigger than a chromecast!

The guts of the thing are just a usb-hdmi converter, but the usb device simply has something like a unique ID to break compatibility with third party offerings for now. I'm sure it won't be long until they've been reverse engineered and a commercial pocket-dock is released.
What if they made it snaked like a pokeball and called it a pokedock?

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear

Yeah, that's sort of what I think is happening. A normal USB-C to HDMI converter won't work, but if some company decides to, like you said, reverse engineer what is inside the dock, we could get something like that.

Cubits

Nintendo could've made the pcb case in the dock removable with a touch more work, giving you the usb 3, usb-c, and hdmi outs. That would've been a neat touch!

DarkDepths

Your friendly neighbourhood robot overlord

I've been working on plans for an upgraded switch dock based entirely on the premise of transplanting it's guts. Still thinking about exactly what I want to do. I would like it to be less vertical, but the port on the bottom poses some challenges that gravity solves quite conveniently.
Nintendo could've made the pcb case in the dock removable with a touch more work, giving you the usb 3, usb-c, and hdmi outs. That would've been a neat touch!

They did make it removable... they just offloaded the "touch more work" onto us!

theMightyME

http://gonintendo.com/stories/27538...talks-switch-pricing-potential-for-price-drop

So Its exactly what I expected...a price drop is bound to happen and I was right all along. Now I don't think they will make a cheaper model over this because....well the system is as small as it can get.

Also just curious....comparing the price of the Switch and tablets, are they the same level in prices?
1. every console and handheld has multiple price drops, of course the switch will eventually have one
2. tablet prices vary greatly... ipads are like, what, $800, or you could get an amazon fire tablet for $50... the switch is more powerful than both

Goodtwin

The Google Pixel C uses the Tegra X1 and cost a lot more than the Switch. The Pixel C has a bigger higher definition screen, but the Switch has a lot more tech included.

Can Nintendo drop the price? Sure, but I wouldn't expect it to happen until next year. Unless Switch really bombs, then it could happen this year, but if it does well, then a price drop might not happen until sales slow down. I would expect game pack in to happen before a price drop.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Odo

sure is. Talked about it a few posts ago.
From what I know, it works more like the codes in Fire Emblem, where you input and send a request. Still far from ideally just using a username, but its not as bad as Wii/3DS with mutual adding needed. I think, I dont have one so I cant see for myself and no one has really detailed it since most everyone is adding each other from the acquaintance feature, which means you can add people you played against recently or friends from Miitomo.
Adding directly through social media accounts (like Miitomo did) or NNIDs will be added soon. Also theres a 300 friend limit, so thats nice.
I thought it was a joke on the internet. Too bad, then. Friend Code was ridiculous and it's still ridiculous today.

Odo

I have decided to get the Switch next year for a few reasons.

1. Although the price is reasonable, I feel that there's a good chance that the price drop is bound to happen. I have no issue with the price its in. Its just that i would feel a bit down for buying something with the real price only that it cut short that price.

Again I don't mind the price and if it remains the same, then I will buy it next year. I'm just having a feeling that it might end up getting a price drop.

2. Of all the games announced so far, only two games are the ones that I want and even then botw doesn't give me that addict feel that Odyssey gave me. By the time Odyssey's footage is revealed, it would end up getting close to the end of the year so might as well wait till next year for that.

I'm very confident that more games are going to come. But considering that there's a few games that I want for the 3DS and that the Switch's library isn't that huge yet....yeah, next year seems the best bet for that.

3. The switch has some technical issues that I'm pretty scared off so next year might fix all those issues in the end for that reason.

Yes, I'll be a bit frustrated that you guys are getting the upper hand here but at the same time, I have to look at the reality side a bit here as well.
Me too.

The only game I'm interested so far is Splatoon 2 and I've got many great games for 3DS to play and a few for Wii U. I'm not hungry for Zelda and I'll buy it for Wii U later on this year.

I'm confident that by 2018 Christmas I'll have found a good deal on Switch.

Odo

Answering my own question on backup tools, Switch seems to have none as well as its save files can't be transferred to another device. It's one more of those simple features that every 21st century device have but Nintendo can't deliver.

They might patch it up in the future, I guess, but it's still sad.

theMightyME

Answering my own question on backup tools, Switch seems to have none as well as its save files can't be transferred to another device. It's one more of those simple features that every 21st century device have but Nintendo can't deliver.

They might patch it up in the future, I guess, but it's still sad.
there are a LOT of thigns in the switch UI that seem half baked... I am sure all that crap will come in an update, along with tons of other stuff... the eshop needs an update, for example... it is so limited right now, and it needs a way to put in credit without starting on a game purchase... they are also going to need a better organization structure when the library starts growing... as the current setup is untenable in that future... the main UI has limited open slots for games, no folder system, etc...

so yeah, OBVIOUSLY an update will come that fixes a bunch of crap....

I actually think this incomplete launch by nitnendo was kind of brilliant... hardcore fans with a switch don't give a shit about any of it because they justw ant to play zelda, which, as I have said in another thread here, might just be the greatest game ever made.... it is as if the switch is getting soft relaunches every month until november when mario comes out, and then it is likely a much harder re-launch

Odo

I actually think this incomplete launch by nitnendo was kind of brilliant... hardcore fans with a switch don't give a shit about any of it because they justw ant to play zelda, which, as I have said in another thread here, might just be the greatest game ever made.... it is as if the switch is getting soft relaunches every month until november when mario comes out, and then it is likely a much harder re-launch
Although reviewers and tech enthusiasts are going to review the lack of those features and it can harm the console, Nintendo's using early adopters and hardcore fans to beta test the device. It's not a bad idea, assuming that they're going to have a solid device with modern console features by Christmas.

I'm not sure if its too harmful if its just the bezel. I have docked once and have noticed that the outcropping is really just plastic.
Good to know. I dont like screen protectors, I might just stick some felt or something there whenever I do decide to dock it in.

Goodtwin

I have to give a good word on an accessory my wife purchased for me. These Joy Con guards are slick, and really give the joy cons a little more bulk and make gripping them feel a bit more controller'ish. They snap on real nice, and even the analog stick grips it comes with are slick. I would highly recommend these to anyone looking for a little protection, and a little added bulk making for a more comfortable grip in my opinion. They aren't expensive and I really like them a lot. They are made by PDP.

upload_2017-3-6_19-8-32.png

Shoulder

Which isn't really a problem considering that you can store upto 128 GB here...right?

I'll admit though, the game card not storing save data sounds worrying.
I believe it currently only saves to the INTERNAL memory, meaning the 32GB (rather 25.9GB available). I'm almost positive that not only will Nintendo will allow saves to the expandable storage (if I'm correct with the internal storage only part), but also Cloud Saves, AND back-ups.

Nintendo loves to give you the bare bones at first, and then slowly add on more features. For example, it was just announced that the web browser for the Switch will be done by the same company who did the one for the Wii U, which is a very good sign. The Web Browser for the Wii U was probably the best non-gaming application for the system itself.

Shoulder

Perhaps this might be more suited for the Spec thread, but nonetheless, I think it's more than relevant for this thread.

Anyway, I think it's pretty obvious that this game was rushed for the Switch in order to launch it in time for the PS4 version, so I think it should come as no surprise that performance can be less than stellar. That being said, it's certainly not a bad looking game, especially for the hardware. Launch titles are usually going to be a little more rough around the edges, and at least the video did point that out. I do believe that as developers get more comfortable with the hardware (as is always the case), there will be a good middle ground for looks and performance.

I also don't think this means the Switch version of Skyrim will "die" trying to run it on the Switch.

DarkDepths

Your friendly neighbourhood robot overlord
I don't suppose anyone has heard anything regarding restocking?

Folks at local stores don't know when they will be getting more. I wanna buy one ;_;

Odo

A lot of glitches for the switch as of now....

Switch has one of the best console launches ever in numbers, so if we find 500 devices with problems, that wouldn't mean nothing. This video shows a bunch of those cases.

I believe it's too soon to say that the console is technically flawed, but in case it really is and more cases come out, the media will start talking and we'll know.

Koenig

The Architect
So far my favorite thing about the Switch is just how fast the OS is, and that I can enter sleep mode with a game loaded. Everything else is just soo much smoother and cleaner than Nintendo's previous systems.

Likewise, my only complaints about it so far is the lack of analogue triggers and the placement of the analogue stick on the right joycon; I know it's for multiplayer purposes, but I can help but feel it may not be worth the awkward placement in the long run.

Shoulder

Switch has one of the best console launches ever in numbers, so if we find 500 devices with problems, that wouldn't mean nothing. This video shows a bunch of those cases.

I believe it's too soon to say that the console is technically flawed, but in case it really is and more cases come out, the media will start talking and we'll know.
To be fair, let's say the Switch sold 1 million systems at launch, and if there were 500 people who took to the internet to complain about issues such as this, that's still a problem rate of 0.0005%, or as most people would say, within the margin of error.

Now, if it's more like 50,000 people who have this issue, then we have a 5% problem rate, so it might be more likely to call it an issue. I'm not saying that this isn't an issue, but in the eyes of Nintendo, a few hundred systems with some issues is not a major concern of them, nor would it be an issue for most companies.

But like you said, it's too soon to cry foul, and spread doom and gloom.

Odo

To be fair, let's say the Switch sold 1 million systems at launch, and if there were 500 people who took to the internet to complain about issues such as this, that's still a problem rate of 0.0005%, or as most people would say, within the margin of error.

Now, if it's more like 50,000 people who have this issue, then we have a 5% problem rate, so it might be more likely to call it an issue. I'm not saying that this isn't an issue, but in the eyes of Nintendo, a few hundred systems with some issues is not a major concern of them, nor would it be an issue for most companies.

But like you said, it's too soon to cry foul, and spread doom and gloom.
The only thing that I'd consider a true design flaw is the dock scratching the screen. I don't know if it's really happening, though. In case it's true, well, that's an issue and a big one in my opinion. The dock should never, in any circumstance, cause that.

Shoulder

The only thing that I'd consider a true design flaw is the dock scratching the screen. I don't know if it's really happening, though. In case it's true, well, that's an issue and a big one in my opinion. The dock should never, in any circumstance, cause that.
Well, perhaps people are inserting the system itself at a slight angle rather than directly down, so perhaps that is causing some of the scratches? I don't know though.

I guess the question to ask, especially as someone with no Switch right now, does the Switch dock very tight like a glove, or is there some give that might help contribute to some of the scratches?

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
Well, perhaps people are inserting the system itself at a slight angle rather than directly down, so perhaps that is causing some of the scratches? I don't know though. I guess the question to ask, especially as someone with no Switch right now, does the Switch dock very tight like a glove, or is there some give that might help contribute to some of the scratches?
I'm treating my Switch like the Mona Lisa and taking time when putting it in the dock to make sure it is lined up before I start sliding it in. (Yes, I know that I set up a joke right there.)
There is give, but if you use two hands to put it in the dock and take it out, I don't see any issue avoiding scratches.

Edit: I would assume that most people getting scratches are putting the Switch into the dock at an angle.

Socar

So we have a Nintendo switch troll here...

The guy gives no reason why the game is lame at all when he looks like he's having fun.

As for 1-2 Switch, its a launch title for the Switch so what do you expect? We knew that as soon as the game was revealed it wasn't going to do that great simply because....well look at it! Its not doing what a game would normally do and the game tries to let people play outside the screens.

Odo

Well, perhaps people are inserting the system itself at a slight angle rather than directly down, so perhaps that is causing some of the scratches? I don't know though.

I guess the question to ask, especially as someone with no Switch right now, does the Switch dock very tight like a glove, or is there some give that might help contribute to some of the scratches?
I'm treating my Switch like the Mona Lisa and taking time when putting it in the dock to make sure it is lined up before I start sliding it in. (Yes, I know that I set up a joke right there.)
There is give, but if you use two hands to put it in the dock and take it out, I don't see any issue avoiding scratches.

Edit: I would assume that most people getting scratches are putting the Switch into the dock at an angle.
Although the user isn't supposed to just throw the device in the dock, there are ways to prevent scratch by design, even with an angle.

Odo

So we have a Nintendo switch troll here...

The guy gives no reason why the game is lame at all when he looks like he's having fun.

As for 1-2 Switch, its a launch title for the Switch so what do you expect? We knew that as soon as the game was revealed it wasn't going to do that great simply because....well look at it! Its not doing what a game would normally do and the game tries to let people play outside the screens.
The game is clearly experimental, it's a video game without video. Many people, including me, would never buy it, but it's still a valid product and there are people having fun with it out there.

Goodtwin

I've been surprised just how well 1 2 Switch has done in the sales charts. People can say what they want, but there is a market for this type of game. Super Bomberman R looks to be off to a strong start as well. The small lineup of games has really benefited those games that did make launch. Tons of visability for those games, and lots of eager Switch gamers looking to buy.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Shoulder

I've been surprised just how well 1 2 Switch has done in the sales charts. People can say what they want, but there is a market for this type of game. Super Bomberman R looks to be off to a strong start as well. The small lineup of games has really benefited those games that did make launch. Tons of visability for those games, and lots of eager Switch gamers looking to buy.

Sent from my SM-G360V using genital warts
What I think is happening is people such as AngryJoe think of themselves as these all important ambassadors of the video game industry that represent the consumers, and they think what they like and don't like are representative of the industry as a whole, when in fact, they are just pawns trying to make a few good moves hoping to make some sort of statement. In the end, they are just as easy to remove from the board if you know how to play the game. :mfancy:

Odo

On reports of connectivity issues with some Joy-Cons

RELATED

VIDEO GAMESWhy 'The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild' Reminds Me of a 27-Year-Old Game
Reggie Fils-Aimé: First, we've seen the inquiries, and we here in the Americas are looking at all the information we can get our hands on. We are in the early days of a system launch, and so for us, we want as much consumer feedback as possible. We are directing consumers to contact us through Nintendo Support for any and all potential questions they may have.

Specifically on Joy-Con syncing, all I can tell you is that we are aware of and have seen some of the reports. We're asking consumers a lot of questions. That's why we want to get consumers on our help line, so we can get as much information to understand the situation as possible. And so we are in a fact-finding mode, to really understand the situation and the scenarios. And with that information, we'll look and see what the next steps are.

On reports of the Switch dock scratching the tablet screen

Fils-Aimé: Again, this is why we're encouraging consumers to reach out to us directly. We have done, as you know, literally hundreds of events, starting with our activity back in January, and most recently the various tours that we continue to take the system out on. As soon as I heard of this report, I asked my teams, "Have we seen this in our own experience?" And the candid answer has been no.

So throughout all of those experiences, throughout all the docking and undocking we've done, we haven't seen it. So this is one where if it is happening, we want to understand more as to what the specific situation is. Which is why we want consumers to let us know through our support site.

http://time.com/4696866/nintendo-switch-joy-con-issues/

Shoulder

On reports of connectivity issues with some Joy-Cons

RELATED

VIDEO GAMESWhy 'The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild' Reminds Me of a 27-Year-Old Game
Reggie Fils-Aimé: First, we've seen the inquiries, and we here in the Americas are looking at all the information we can get our hands on. We are in the early days of a system launch, and so for us, we want as much consumer feedback as possible. We are directing consumers to contact us through Nintendo Support for any and all potential questions they may have.

Specifically on Joy-Con syncing, all I can tell you is that we are aware of and have seen some of the reports. We're asking consumers a lot of questions. That's why we want to get consumers on our help line, so we can get as much information to understand the situation as possible. And so we are in a fact-finding mode, to really understand the situation and the scenarios. And with that information, we'll look and see what the next steps are.

On reports of the Switch dock scratching the tablet screen

Fils-Aimé: Again, this is why we're encouraging consumers to reach out to us directly. We have done, as you know, literally hundreds of events, starting with our activity back in January, and most recently the various tours that we continue to take the system out on. As soon as I heard of this report, I asked my teams, "Have we seen this in our own experience?" And the candid answer has been no.

So throughout all of those experiences, throughout all the docking and undocking we've done, we haven't seen it. So this is one where if it is happening, we want to understand more as to what the specific situation is. Which is why we want consumers to let us know through our support site.

http://time.com/4696866/nintendo-switch-joy-con-issues/
In fairness, I feel part of the reason Nintendo never really encountered this issue in their tours is due to the simple fact that people would be normally playing within 5 feet of the system in docked mode.

Odo

I've found some people talking about this. People surely need to read instructions, but this is also a problem of bad design imo. I can see thousands of children breaking this.

Last edited: