Nintendo Switch - Official Thread

Odo

its not broken
there should be instructions on how to remove it in the box if you are dense enough, tho.

oop, I did just see the rest. kek.
My point is that design must be "idiot-proof". Like the Polygon article said:

In addition, the Joy-Con doesn’t reject the wrist strap if you slide it in upside down. In fact, it slides on with almost the same ease as in the proper alignment.

It shows lack of high quality design.

This happened to multiple people at Polygon in our New York office, and the issue stems from the lack of pushback players get from the Joy-Con when trying to attach a wrist strap upside down. We also noticed that the wrist straps can shoot too far in one direction and have to be pulled backward before locking into place.
http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/27/14712498/nintendo-switch-joy-con-controller-wrist-strap

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown

Koenig

The Architect
Has anyone else been having problems with the pro-controller D-pad? I have noticed that about 1/3 of the that I try to use the right direction, it brings up the top one instead. I am pretty sure it is not a miss click considering the number of times I have encountered it, and I did some searching around It seems I am not the only one with this problem.

Last edited:

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I've found some people talking about this. People surely need to read instructions, but this is also a problem of bad design imo. I can see thousands of children breaking this.

I only saw the first video, but the problem she had wasn't due to putting the strap upside down, it's a problem inherent with the lock mechanism in the strap. Pretty much no matter how you put it in, the first few times removing the strap are going to require you to use an ungodly amount of force. After you've done it a bunch of times, it gets a hell of a lot easier and it stops being scary.

There is also an easy solution for those that don't want to risk breaking their joy cons every freaking time they remove the strap. The way that the lock works is that there are these two little wedges that can be pushed in, on the bottom of the strap. These wedges have a low angle from one side, but steep from the other, so they are easier to push down while sliding in, than while sliding out. Rather than trying to apply a lot of force to remove the straps, you can use a thin, hard object to directly push those little wedges down, making it easy for the strap to come off.

One thing that confuses people is that they try to hold down the switch lock release button on the top of the joy con while trying to remove the strap. In reality, that lock on top of the joy con is only used when locking the thing with the actual system, not the straps.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I only saw the first video, but the problem she had wasn't due to putting the strap upside down, it's a problem inherent with the lock mechanism in the strap. Pretty much no matter how you put it in, the first few times removing the strap are going to require you to use an ungodly amount of force. After you've done it a bunch of times, it gets a hell of a lot easier and it stops being scary.

There is also an easy solution for those that don't want to risk breaking their joy cons every freaking time they remove the strap. The way that the lock works is that there are these two little wedges that can be pushed in, on the bottom of the strap. These wedges have a low angle from one side, but steep from the other, so they are harder to push down while sliding in, than while sliding out. Rather than trying to apply a lot of force to remove the straps, you can use a thin, hard object to directly push those little wedges down, making it easy for the strap to come off.

One thing that confuses people is that they try to hold down the switch lock release button on the top of the joy con while trying to remove the strap. In reality, that lock on top of the joy con is only used when locking the thing with the actual system, not the straps.
Damn I knew some of this but not all of it. And after using the wrist strap attachment quite a lot I can say that now it's a ton easier than the first time (I thought I was gonna break it for real the first time there crazy difficult to get off)

Koenig

The Architect
So...for whatever reason the switch can not charge fast enough via USB-C for me to play it when using the USB to USB-C. I suppose ill need to get another adapter at some point.

Goodtwin

So...for whatever reason the switch can not charge fast enough via USB-C for me to play it when using the USB to USB-C. I suppose ill need to get another adapter at some point.

From what I have read, charging from power banks while playing doesn't work. The system will indeed use the power from the power bank, but not to charge the battery. So if you have a power bank plugged in while playing, it will indeed allow you to play longer, but your battery will not show that its charging. You will simply drain the battery slower thanks to the power bank.

Honestly, I haven't had a big issue with the battery life. I have been playing while on my lunch breaks, so my portable play sessions have been rather short, but even at home, I played earlier for over two hours on the couch before my battery life indicator popped up, and by then I was ready to take a break and pop my Switch in the dock.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
If your battery doesn't support USb 3.1 (or 3.0), then even though you have a connector that allows you to connect a USB type-B with a type-C, your bandwidth will be bottlenecked and you won't get the power you need. The only way you can get the full 3.1 speeds (and power draw) is by using two devices that support those standards, and a cable that also supports the standard.

But that might not be your actual problem, I'm just making an assumption.

Socar

So I got a question for those of you who bought a screen protector for the switch...

did you end up getting air bubbles for the screen? And is it really simple to do it?

The reason why I'm asking this is because when I used screen protectors for the new 3DS XL, the top screen even after carefully doing it ended up getting air bubbles unlike the bottom screen. So I have to keep removing and putting it back whenever I play it.

sjmartin79

We had some people over last night and played "1,2, Switch". We had an absolute blast! Laughed a lot. Some of the games are quite good. It's short bursts of fun. I'd say we played for over 90 minutes.

On the other hand, Snipperclips with 4 players... that was a big ol clusterf**k. Could have been the people. 2 players - fabulous. 4 players - oh my no.

sjmartin79

sjmartin79

Steve2's brother was over last night. He said, "I wanted a Switch, but now I've heard that none of the left controllers work, the screen scratches just from normal play, and I there isn't enough memory for a AAA game."

We then had a conversation about not listening to the echo chamber that is Reddit, how both my controllers work fine even with the left behind my back (and I showed him), how I have yet to get a single scratch, and that if you're going all-digital to just get a memory card, but that there isn't much need to go all digital unless that is what you really want to do.

He then said "But it will scratch when I put it in my pocket!" I asked him why he would be wanting to put his Switch in his jeans pocket. (I refrained from mentioning that if you're living in FL, you shouldn't be wearing cargo jeans 24/7 anyway.)

After 10 more minute I finally just said, "Here, play it!"

After 5 minutes, he was sold. I showed him how to dock/undock properly, how to take controllers on and off, and how to put wrist straps on and off (which btw did not stick at all). Today, he has been out Switch hunting and calling around to stores for supply.

It was a painful victory, but I can say that I created a new convert.

sjmartin79

Yesterday was my niece's 16th birthday, and my nephew and some friends were upstairs playing "Nintendo Land" on the Wii U. So, I joined in and we had a great time. My nephew asked "How's it going with your Switch? Padre said you got one last week."

So I told him how amazing it was, and how Steve2 and I had been playing Zelda like it was our job. Then this 18 year old kid said "I really want to get a Switch, but I don't have the money yet, and I've seen so many negative things on Reddit". And I was like 'shit, here we go again. fucking Reddit.' So I took the time and asked/answered questions, starting with "Do you know anyone that actually owns one? No, then listen up." It was all the same things: scratches and Left Joy Con. Then the kid was like "But I hear all your weapons break in Zelda, even the good ones. I don't want to find a good sword and then lose it." So I explained how there were a plethora of items in the game scattered everywhere and pick ups after beating enemies, and that I've never had an issue keeping a full inventory of good weapons, even with them breaking. By the end, my nephew, that kid, and 2 others there all wanted one. I told me nephew to come over this week and try it out. Then the kid said "Can I be your nephew too? I want to see it!" With the two others saying "Yeah! Me too!"

I told them the moral of the story is: don't except something you hear from a stranger as gospel, either do your own hands-on research or seek out someone you know that has personal experience. Good advice for games and in life.

Then just to get a reaction I said, "Oh, and Steve and I each have a Switch". Their little teenage eyes got very big and you would have thought I had walked on water right in front of them. I turned to Steve2 and said "My work here is done. Let's go get a drink."

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Yesterday was my niece's 16th birthday, and my nephew and some friends were upstairs playing "Nintendo Land" on the Wii U. So, I joined in and we had a great time. My nephew asked "How's it going with your Switch? Padre said you got one last week."

So I told him how amazing it was, and how Steve2 and I had been playing Zelda like it was our job. Then this 18 year old kid said "I really want to get a Switch, but I don't have the money yet, and I've seen so many negative things on Reddit". And I was like 'shit, here we go again. fucking Reddit.' So I took the time and asked/answered questions, starting with "Do you know anyone that actually owns one? No, then listen up." It was all the same things: scratches and Left Joy Con. Then the kid was like "But I hear all your weapons break in Zelda, even the good ones. I don't want to find a good sword and then lose it." So I explained how there were a plethora of items in the game scattered everywhere and pick ups after beating enemies, and that I've never had an issue keeping a full inventory of good weapons, even with them breaking. By the end, my nephew, that kid, and 2 others there all wanted one. I told me nephew to come over this week and try it out. Then the kid said "Can I be your nephew too? I want to see it!" With the two others saying "Yeah! Me too!"

I told them the moral of the story is: don't except something you hear from a stranger as gospel, either do your own hands-on research or seek out someone you know that has personal experience. Good advice for games and in life.

Then just to get a reaction I said, "Oh, and Steve and I each have a Switch". Their little teenage eyes got very big and you would have thought I had walked on water right in front of them. I turned to Steve2 and said "My work here is done. Let's go get a drink."
:msrs:

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear

Odo

Steve2's brother was over last night. He said, "I wanted a Switch, but now I've heard that none of the left controllers work, the screen scratches just from normal play, and I there isn't enough memory for a AAA game."
Somehow those "Switch is broken" news is damaging the console's image. Nintendo needs to take action in my opinion. Answering that "we don't see significant problems" isn't helping.

Switch is selling very well, though, and those issues and misunderstandings are very common among new consoles.

Goodtwin

Negative press always gets the views, but doesn't mean much when it's simply not true. The signal strength does appear to be a bit weak with the joy cons, but if you sit 10ft or less from the console, probably not a big deal. I do think they will improve this though. Scratches are coming from careless uses. My Switch is scratch free, been in and out of the dock many times.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Odo

Negative press always gets the views, but doesn't mean much when it's simply not true.
For the Nintendo fanbase yes, they would buy anything coming from Nintendo, but even fake news can harm a product when it gets enough traction on social media these days, let alone when the product is techie or geek, like a video game console. Geeks look insanely for issues on Reditt and blogs. Social media is a pain in the neck if you don't action something.

I know a couple of people who went from "I want a Switch asap" to "Let's wait them fix those problems first".

Goodtwin

For the Nintendo fanbase yes, they would buy anything coming from Nintendo, but even fake news can harm a product when it gets enough traction on social media these days, let alone when the product is techie or geek, like a video game console. Geeks look insanely for issues on Reditt and blogs. Social media is a pain in the neck if you don't action something.

I know a couple of people who went from "I want a Switch asap" to "Let's wait them fix those problems first".
It's true, but constantly responding to these criticisms won't stop the bull shit articles from popping up. It's just part of the media, negativity gets hits, and that makes sites money. Nintendo is selling out right now, hard to spin things too much when a product is selling well. Your average consumer is far more likely to see Nintendo's tv commercials than they are to read these click bait articles, I'm not worried.

Odo

It's true, but constantly responding to these criticisms won't stop the bull shit articles from popping up. It's just part of the media, negativity gets hits, and that makes sites money. Nintendo is selling out right now, hard to spin things too much when a product is selling well. Your average consumer is far more likely to see Nintendo's tv commercials than they are to read these click bait articles, I'm not worried.

Sent from my SM-G360V using genital warts
I'm not worried either and Nintendo's already responding, but responding like "we don't see anything". Perhaps not responding anything actually would be better.

Goodtwin

I got my screen protector in the mail today. I applied it and all is good. I did end up with a few specs of dust under the protector, but nothing noticeable when its turned on. I did notice that after using the clean wipes on the screen, the dock was indeed scuffing the screens outer bezel. Its nothing terrible, but it is a defect that Nintendo could easily cure with some felt strips in the dock. Hopefully they clean up some of these complaints. Its not a tragedy, but people like to keep their stuff looking nice, and normal use scuffing up the Switch is a valid complaint. One tip that I read about that I had wished I did when installing my screen protector was to get your bathroom hot and steamy, and then install the protector in the bathroom. The steam will drop dust out of the air, making it easier to apply the protector with no dust underneath. Also, remember what @sjmartin79 said about waiting 24 hours to play it in the docked. Your will survive playing portably for a day to make sure the adhesive cures.

Cubits

So i managed to find a pretty good colour match for spice orange.

I had a small hiccup with the final coat of polyurethane clear, i put it on too soon after the first layer and ended up with a textured finish instead (the urethane contracts as it cures).

The problem is colloquially known as orange-peel, and it actually looks pretty good in this instance! I was going to turps the lot off and start over, but the finish is growing on me!

sjmartin79

I had a small hiccup with the final coat of polyurethane clear, i put it on too soon after the first layer and ended up with a textured finish instead (the urethane contracts as it cures).

The problem is colloquially known as orange-peel, and it actually looks pretty good in this instance! I was going to turps the lot off and start over, but the finish is growing on me!
That looks bad ass! I've seen some of the results online from others. I want purple!

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!

@Juegos @EvilTw1n I KNEW THIS WOULD BE A THING!!!!

Koenig

The Architect
What is the issue? I've not heard of this.
It looks like a number of Pro Controllers have a defect in which the D-pad is overly sensitive to the up press; such that solid right presses are registered as up, and downward presses are unstable. In Zelda for example, I can explicitly press right on the D-pad to select a weapon, but 3/5 times it diverts to the rune selection instead.

Doing a little bit of online searching, and it seems like It is a relatively common problem. No official reports on it yet, but plenty of users asking about it on various forms.

I am hoping I can get my pro controller fixed or replaced; it is not too much of an issue in Zelda, but I suspect that will be quite a different story for D-pad heavy games like (2D) platformers and the like.

Goodtwin

One thing is for sure, I never want to go back. I love this hybrid setup. Playing Zelda on my lunch breaks has been great. Being able to go home, and continue the same game on my tv, fantastic! I think this concept will only continue to be more attractive as mobile hardware evolves. It's just so much more flexible.

sjmartin79

One thing is for sure, I never want to go back. I love this hybrid setup. Playing Zelda on my lunch breaks has been great. Being able to go home, and continue the same game on my tv, fantastic! I think this concept will only continue to be more attractive as mobile hardware evolves. It's just so much more flexible.

Sent from my SM-G360V using genital warts
I couldn't agree more! The Nintendo Switch is the exact system I always needed.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I'm liking the switch so much as a system that I find myself eager to buy new games. I bought some POS port of KOF 98 (don't buy it), and Voez just so I could have more stuff to play. I'm this close to buying Fast RMX or Master Blaster.
I personally will for sure have master blaster.

Just speaking on the Switch so glad Nintendo figured out how to merge home and go. I've already done some ZELDA runs on lunch and at the tire shop. It's been almost to good.

DarkDepths

Your friendly neighbourhood robot overlord
I'm liking the switch so much as a system that I find myself eager to buy new games. I bought some POS port of KOF 98 (don't buy it), and Voez just so I could have more stuff to play. I'm this close to buying Fast RMX or Master Blaster.
I think Fast RMX will probably be one of the first games I pick up. I want something competitive to play.

That said, Mario Kart might be out by the time I can get one...

Shoulder

Please...PLEASE let this mean that there's still a chance of the Rogue Squadron Trilogy being resurrected for the Switch? Yes, I know Rogue Leader and Rebel Strike were ported over to the Wii with Wii controls (and that since Lucas Art no longer exists, and is owned by Disney now there's probably little chance), but playing those games on the Switch I think would be awesome and fill me with such nostalgia.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
Please...PLEASE let this mean that there's still a chance of the Rogue Squadron Trilogy being resurrected for the Switch? Yes, I know Rogue Leader and Rebel Strike were ported over to the Wii with Wii controls (and that since Lucas Art no longer exists, and is owned by Disney now there's probably little chance), but playing those games on the Switch I think would be awesome and fill me with such nostalgia.
it is a great time for a new star wars game.... the han solo movie is coming too... so a factor 5 young han solo MF movie would make a ton of sense

HD remakes of rogue squadron would be a great way for f5 to prepare for a new star wars game...

Socar

You're also forgetting the little con there that EA owns the Star Wars game license...

I don't know why the company is resurrected when you consider a lot of their games are licensed based and all of them are pretty much impossible to make more/port out of them seeing how Disney stated it doesn't want to get into the game market. Besides Turrican which is far more dormant than even F-Zero, what can they possibly do at this point?

If Disney ended up getting to that market, we would have seen a remaster of Lion King and Aladdin by now.

Also, wasn't this the company that almost made a somewhat Kid Icarus game that isn't anywhere as fun as say...Uprising?

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
You're also forgetting the little con there that EA owns the Star Wars game license...

I don't know why the company is resurrected when you consider a lot of their games are licensed based and all of them are pretty much impossible to make more/port out of them seeing how Disney stated it doesn't want to get into the game market. Besides Turrican which is far more dormant than even F-Zero, what can they possibly do at this point?

If Disney ended up getting to that market, we would have seen a remaster of Lion King and Aladdin by now.

Also, wasn't this the company that almost made a somewhat Kid Icarus game that isn't anywhere as fun as say...Uprising?
it could be MORE likely with EA in charge...

- they have already confirmed switch support
- they know that most of their games do not do well on nintendo systems
- they know that factor 5's rogue games have huge nostalgia for nitnendo fans
- they know that old factor 5 was a relatively small studio, and new factor 5 is probably even smaller, which means cheaper...

seems almost like an ideal goodwill gift to Nintendo fans from EA, and would surely sell to profit

Koenig

The Architect

- they know that old factor 5 was a relatively small studio, and new factor 5 is probably even smaller, which means cheaper...

seems almost like an ideal goodwill gift to Nintendo fans from EA, and would surely sell to profit
Which is preciously why I doubt it will happen...EA and common sense don't have a good relationship with each other.

Shoulder

The best part about the whole Rogue Squadron part is the Wii master of it is already finished, so a simple matter of porting the game over to the Switch would be not terribly difficult nor require a ton of resources to handle. Sure, they'd have to scrap all the motion control stuff (or at minimum make it optional), and you'd be golden.

But as Koenig said, and he usually does this with that smashingly good-looking top hat he has, EA and common sense don't normally mesh to gather.