Nintendo Switch - Official Thread

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
http://kotaku.com/nintendo-switch-is-getting-seiken-densetsu-collection-i-1793471524

I need this collection to be localized in the West.
Final Fantasy Adventure for the original GameBoy - I don't know how many times I've replayed that.
And Secret of Mana? Come on... that was one of the best games ever made.

Square Enix needs to be kind and make sure we can buy this in the US without having to learn Japanese.
I guarantee you'll like Secret of Mana 2 as well. I can't really explain why I still think the first Secret of Mana is better, but the second one is a beastly game anyway. It's also a lot more replayable, since you can choose from 7 different protagonists, and depending on the characters you pick your main story will be different, all the way up to the different final boss and ending. So hell yeah, we need this collection to be translated.

Last edited:

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
I guarantee you'll like Secret of Mana 2 as well. I can't really explain why I still think the first Secret of Mana is better, but the second one is a beastly game anyway. It's also a lot more replayable, since you can choose from 7 different protagonists, and depending on your character choices your main story will be different, all the way up to the different final boss and ending. So hell yeah, we need this collection to be translated.
I've already started Tweeting Square Enix about localizing it. Others seem to be as well. Anyone here with a Twitter account, get it on it to Square and be vocal. They could already be working on it, but if not, maybe if there is enough public outcry for it, there's a chance we could make it happen.

Aki

I guarantee you'll like Secret of Mana 2 as well. I can't really explain why I still think the first Secret of Mana is better, but the second one is a beastly game anyway. It's also a lot more replayable, since you can choose from 7 different protagonists, and depending on the characters you pick your main story will be different, all the way up to the different final boss and ending. So hell yeah, we need this collection to be translated.
Apparently, the third game, maybe even the second, is a glitch fest that's beyond playable.

Aki

Also, found out that one of my really good friends is trying to buy a Switch tomorrow. I was really surprised when he hmu talking about getting one alongside Zelda. He's pretty much been a PS / Xbox gamers his whole life even though he's always enjoyed Nintendo's party games when he'd play them at my place. Anyway, he loves open world games and I started talking to him about Zelda and how it's a game changer and stuff and, apparently, he already had his eye on it. I told him the ins and outs and to pretty much expect zero social life for the next few months.

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
PSA:

It looks like the left joycon issue is actually being fixed if sent in according to a recent CNET teardown before and after it was sent into Nintendo:

https://www.cnet.com/news/nintendo-switch-joycon-desync-connectivity-issue-fix/

They are using a piece of conductive foam over the antennae. Before and after pics below (look towards the bottom right for foam placement)

So, I actually have this issues. I've taken a few cell phones apart in my day and fixed them (screens, digitizers, etc...) I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and do this myself....hmm..

By the way...the newer joy con units coming in are using a different circuit board and don't have this problem according to the article.

Aki

Are you talking about the port specifically? I didn't know it was out already.
No, the SD2 + SD3, 3 in particular, are broken as fuck. It's unbalanced, has lag everywhere, calculation delays, input lag, seldom lockups, glitches a plenty and last but not least, the game gives you the illusion of gameplay, the thing plays itself. Not to mention, the games are text heavy so localization will be an issue due to the technical limits of the hardware back then. More than likely a lot more time would need to be put into it, especially, since SD3, not sure about 2, has never been localized so they'd need to start from scratch. Which would lead to the issue of pricing. The collection in Japan is selling for about $43, with the amount of work that would need to be put into a US version, it would probably be a $50 downloadable title and that might not bode well w/ fans.

Last edited:

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
No, the SD2 + SD3, 3 in particular, are broken as fuck. It's unbalanced, has lag everywhere, calculation delays, input lag, seldom lockups, glitches a plenty and last but not least, the game gives you the illusion of gameplay, the thing plays itself. Not to mention, the games are text heavy so localization will be an issue due to the technical limits of the hardware back then. More than likely a lot more time would need to be put into it, especially, since SD3, not sure about 2, has never been localized so they'd need to start from scratch. Which would lead to the issue of pricing. The collection in Japan is selling for about $43, with the amount of work that would need to be put into a US version, it would probably be a $50 downloadable title and that might not bode well w/ fans.
Oh, I've played Secret of Mana my whole life, and have also played Secret of Mana 2 (SD3) twice, I already know what to expect. They're not unbalanced, they're single player RPGs with progression systems like anything else from that era. Inputs don't have any noticeable delay as far as I can remember. Neither game has ever locked up on me, I have no idea where that comes from or what that refers to. Also about the game playing itself, that's the craziest thing I've heard. These games don't play themselves any more than Final Fantasy 15 plays itself. You press buttons, and actions happen.

Both games have problems due to a number of issues Squaresoft and Nintendo had at the time, but it's related to some of the game's systems being confusing or not very useful, rather than related to bugs and glitches.

Odo

Somehow those "Switch is broken" news is damaging the console's image. Nintendo needs to take action in my opinion. Answering that "we don't see significant problems" isn't helping.

Switch is selling very well, though, and those issues and misunderstandings are very common among new consoles.
Negative press always gets the views, but doesn't mean much when it's simply not true. The signal strength does appear to be a bit weak with the joy cons, but if you sit 10ft or less from the console, probably not a big deal. I do think they will improve this though. Scratches are coming from careless uses. My Switch is scratch free, been in and out of the dock many times.

Sent from my SM-G360V using genital warts
It's true, but constantly responding to these criticisms won't stop the bull shit articles from popping up. It's just part of the media, negativity gets hits, and that makes sites money. Nintendo is selling out right now, hard to spin things too much when a product is selling well. Your average consumer is far more likely to see Nintendo's tv commercials than they are to read these click bait articles, I'm not worried.

Sent from my SM-G360V using genital warts

Nintendo changed from "we don't see anything significant" to "we sorted this out on the factory level". That's the sort of action I was talking before.

That makes a lot of people relieved.

There is no design issue with the Joy-Con controllers, and no widespread proactive repair or replacement effort is underway. A manufacturing variation has resulted in wireless interference with a small number of the left Joy-Con. Moving forward this will not be an issue, as the manufacturing variation has been addressed and corrected at the factory level.
https://mynintendonews.com/2017/03/...ssues-were-caused-by-manufacturing-variation/

Goodtwin

As a company, you do not want 2 million people thinking that their Switch is under a recall. People experiencing no issues will want their system "fixed" if Nintendo were to describe the issue as such. Nintendo did what they should, investigate the problem before making a conclusive statement regarding the problem.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Aki

So i managed to find a pretty good colour match for spice orange.

I had a small hiccup with the final coat of polyurethane clear, i put it on too soon after the first layer and ended up with a textured finish instead (the urethane contracts as it cures).

The problem is colloquially known as orange-peel, and it actually looks pretty good in this instance! I was going to turps the lot off and start over, but the finish is growing on me!
And I thought that I was the only person who liked the spice orange GCN controller... that thing is fucking awesome!!!

Goodtwin

I firmly believe that Retro is working on a new Metroid title. I can't remember which interview it was, but when Reggie was asked about a new Metroid game, he said ask us again next year - firmly implying they'll have some news which they'll most likely share during e3.
I think some people have had the assumption that Nintendo have already shown their hand, and I don't think this is true at all. Some of the big titles this year are Wii U ports. The last game Retro released was DKC TF on Wii U back in 2014, so regardless if its Metroid or not, they are going to have a big title ready for 2018 at the latest. Nintendo has scaled way back on 3DS development, so the majority of teams are working on Switch. I remember Aonuma made mention that the portable Zelda team that created a Link Between Worlds will remain separate from the 3D Zelda team, so they likely have been working on a new Zelda game for a while now. Come E3, people are going to be surprised just how many titles that we don't know about yet are coming this year, and probably a few teasers for games coming next year. Comments from Reggie do make me think that there are a lot of IP's in development that have been dormant for a long time. Nintendo can win over a lot of older gamers with nostalgia, but that nostalgia will come from IP's like Metroid and F-Zero. Who knows, Retro is large enough to have two games in development. Perhaps Metroid and F-Zero have both been handed to Retro. So much potential. A lack of high profile software will not be a problem on Switch.

Aki

I had a thought the other night, but I know they'll never do it, but to release all titles from the NES Mini as one title on the eShop and call it NES Classic. You load the game, and it takes you to a screen where you can pick from the 30 games.

As I said, they won't do it, because they can make more money selling each game individually, but 30 games with a $60 total price tag and all in one place... would be very cool.
I'd welcome a lot of classic compilations on switch if they're going to be physical and include a manual or something nostalgic. Super Mario All-Stars comes to mind...

Aki

I think some people have had the assumption that Nintendo have already shown their hand, and I don't think this is true at all. Some of the big titles this year are Wii U ports. The last game Retro released was DKC TF on Wii U back in 2014, so regardless if its Metroid or not, they are going to have a big title ready for 2018 at the latest. Nintendo has scaled way back on 3DS development, so the majority of teams are working on Switch. I remember Aonuma made mention that the portable Zelda team that created a Link Between Worlds will remain separate from the 3D Zelda team, so they likely have been working on a new Zelda game for a while now. Come E3, people are going to be surprised just how many titles that we don't know about yet are coming this year, and probably a few teasers for games coming next year. Comments from Reggie do make me think that there are a lot of IP's in development that have been dormant for a long time. Nintendo can win over a lot of older gamers with nostalgia, but that nostalgia will come from IP's like Metroid and F-Zero. Who knows, Retro is large enough to have two games in development. Perhaps Metroid and F-Zero have both been handed to Retro. So much potential. A lack of high profile software will not be a problem on Switch.
Not at all, Switch will get a lot of first party support. Probably more so than any other console. I'm expecting releases in all of their major franchises on both home and handheld consoles to appear on Switch.

Last edited:

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Not at all, switch will get a lot of first party support. Probably more so than any other console. I'm expecting releases in all of their major franchises on both home and handheld consoles to appear on Switch.
Even as unrealistic as Nintendo has made us all at one time or another. The Switch feels like it could truly be the next SNES.

I am uncharacteristicly unrelistic is the stance that I, like Aki believe that Switch will see many if not all of Nintendos franchises in some form or another.

Switch has that bravado to it, it shows much swagger from Nintendo especially in there faith in the new young talent like the splatooner team who is getting poised to take the helm.

And by the looks of it by storm:msrs:

(I know I should think this should happen and if I'm wrong that's cool. Nintendo just feels like there coming into the next age)

Aki

Even as unrealistic as Nintendo has made us all at one time or another. The Switch feels like it could truly be the next SNES.

I am uncharacteristicly unrelistic is the stance that I, like Aki believe that Switch will see many if not all of Nintendos franchises in some form or another.

Switch has that bravado to it, it shows much swagger from Nintendo especially in there faith in the new young talent like the splatooner team who is getting poised to take the helm.

And by the looks of it by storm:msrs:

(I know I should think this should happen and if I'm wrong that's cool. Nintendo just feels like there coming into the next age)
I fully agree, especially with the bolded part . . .

Switch has that it factor. It has that instant appeal and since day one I've been telling that to those that I've talked Switch with. There's something about it that just makes you curious, something that makes you want to pick it up and try it out. And speaking of coming into the next age, it's attributed to the younger generation. A lot of their younger talent is really getting to shine and, not only in standalone gaming projects like Splatoon, but also in expanded roles within Nintendo.

Splatoon was but the tip of the iceberg for the younger developers at Nintendo until they finally broke through. This have been obvious for quite some time now. We've been reading articles dating as far back as 2014 that have been pointing to a power reshuffle at Nintendo. Regardless of when the change started to occur, it did in fact occur and it's had a positive impact on Nintendo's first party offerings. They've become more "modern" incorporating features such as DLC and an open world inspired by Western games in Zelda amongst many other features. Unsurprisingly, some of their latest games are also some of the strongest in their respective franchises.

During the company reshuffle last year, Kimishima confirmed at least 6 new R&D heads with the two most prominent being Shinya Takahashi, General Manager of all Nintendo Software, and Ko Shiota, General Manager of all Nintendo Hardware. In essence, Takahashi has the final say on all games coming out for Switch and Shiota has the final say on hardware related matters.

In fact, it was most likely Shiota who spearheaded Switch's development. In an official interview with Glixel back in January, Miyamoto said the following . . .
Miyamoto said:
"We have these younger people in the company who are taking the lead on Switch development and it's really been them that have put this forward and designed this system. They're the ones that have really shepherded it through the process. Because of that, what it's allowed me to do is focus on other projects like Super Mario Run or the Universal theme park."
However, it's not just the younger generation that is shaping the future Nintendo. They're also being held in line or in check by some of the new senior members such as Aonuma. In this interview with GameInformer Shiggy and Aonuma share some insight on how they train the younger members. There's this complete understanding of the companies core philosophies coupled with a clear vision and excellent execution. It's this sort of harmony or balance between old and new that's providing something truly special.

I'm curious to see what's going to happen as this process of change continues and the current leaders and developers being to evolve. If recent Nintendo (MK8, Smash Bros, BotW, localization of Dragon Quest on 3DS, Switch launch) . . . are any indication of the future of Nintendo then I'm genuinely excited.

Last edited:

SkywardCrowbar

Twintelle's loyal Husbando
Looking at how Gamestop is gushing about the Switch, one has to wonder what exactly the sales ceiling is for the Switch.

Outside of the regular curmudgeons of the web (/v/, Sony & Microsoft fanboys) everyone and their sister seems to want a Switch... And it's March. The sheer genius of launching this thing in March is really incredible. What a unique, totally Nintendo move. The Switch will get 2 windows of massive sales this year, along with apparently massive demand the entire intermediary time.

If Nintendo knocks it out of the park at E3 with a lot of great titles, then Switch may be a run away success for its entire lifespan similar to the PS4. Remember, to many consumers, they care about the perception of the system as much as the games that can be played on it. You catch the zeitgeist, and you're printing money.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
so here is why switch is amazing

1. it is the most portable handheld on the market, and also a fully competent console that can spit out 1080p games on a TV with less compromise than their last home console

2. it has that wii magic of appealing to non gamers a bit too... maybe not to the same extent, but it is definitely there, even non gamers think it is cool

3. even with the interest of non gamers, the switch is by no means abandoning the core fans, the first game released on the system is being debated as potentially the great video game ever made... that makes it basically the failed promise of the wii

4. it is the first platform since the nes to have all of the 1st party franchises headed to it..... we don't know about pokemon yet, but we are getting fire emblem again, which had been exclusively handheld for like 8 years or more...

5. while it doesn't yet have great western 3rd party support it is getting the bets support a Nintendo console has had from japan since the gamecube... and that includes dragon quest

basically there are 4 things nintendo could do that would make the switch a f'n king of a system...
- announce the next main pokemon game (s) for it
- announce the next main Monster Hunter title as switch exclusive
- obtain a small number of decent 3rd party multiplats... it doesn't even need parity... imagine if bethesda said skyrim was made for the system to get it ready for the next elder scrolls or fallout game... even if it is the weakest version by good measure.. it is the portable version that is still console quality... would not matter that their is no cod or battlefield on it... it has the new bethesda rpg on it day and date, that would be HUGE.... even bigger would be GTA... imagine GTA 6 on the f'n go.. day and date
- nintendo can keep a consistant schedule

if nintendo can secure those 4 things.... Switch will f'n rule the world

thing is... those 4 things aren't even that much... I mean we aren't talking 3rd party parity here

but imagine if e3 2017 came along and nintendo kicked thigns off by showing pokemon for switch, then had a guy from capcom on stage touting monster hunter and saying it would be a blowout at TGS, then they show a new mario oddysey trailer, maybe a trailer for the zelda dlc, than todd philips hops on stage and says skyrim for switch was them investigating what they could do with the system, and their next new game was hittign switch day and date with the others... than Reggie rolls up his sleeve to show a gta6 tattoo... the show ends with a released schedule showing a 1st party game from nintendo every month for the next year

just think about that... that would mean that nintendo would show exactly ONE new game.. pokemon... that is it... everythign else we already know about, or is a multiplat, or is only announced as beign in development... but that would almost assuredly win nintendo that e3

just shows how close they are.... a few more pushes and the system is legend

Cubits

PSA:

It looks like the left joycon issue is actually being fixed if sent in according to a recent CNET teardown before and after it was sent into Nintendo:

https://www.cnet.com/news/nintendo-switch-joycon-desync-connectivity-issue-fix/

They are using a piece of conductive foam over the antennae. Before and after pics below (look towards the bottom right for foam placement)

So, I actually have this issues. I've taken a few cell phones apart in my day and fixed them (screens, digitizers, etc...) I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and do this myself....hmm..

By the way...the newer joy con units coming in are using a different circuit board and don't have this problem according to the article.
I just don't believe the problem is solved by a piece of foam, since it has no bearing on the efficacy of the antenna loop. The antenna is shielded from the foam by the matrix of the pcb, there's no contact between the parts to allow for conduction.

If anything, the foam is only there to prevent flexing of the pcb since the antenna is on an unsupported "finger" of the board. Most likely there's a new blob of solder on the underside of the board, and the problem was caused by a brittle solder point breaking. Do we have any comparison pics of the other side of the board?

sjmartin79

So those cameras that reside in our microwaves that are able to be hacked must be more durable than the Switch then. Nintendoomed once again.
On a side note, after hearing from the Administration about these amazing cameras in Microwaves, I decided to just hold my tax returns up to the microwave to file them instead of mailing them in to the IRS. Seemed more efficient.

theMightyME

do you know what I need? besides a couple million dollars....

I need a switch grip... basically I want a joycon grip that fits over the entire portable system... because my hands hurt using the system in portable mode... I mainly blame the right joycon... I have to hold my thumb in a very odd angle in roder to both support the weight of the system and use the controls... I don't need padding on the back, I need it on the sides... basically EXACTLY what the joycon grip does...

I need this

somebody get to work

Koenig

The Architect
If the switch does continue to sell well, I have to wonder how long it will take before any publisher actually attempts to port any AAA games to the system. I am eagerly looking forward to the upcoming Nintendo games, but there will always be something missing until at least partially 3rd party support is achieved. With that said though, I am looking forward to seeing how many indie games make it to the system.

Goodtwin

https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Switch-Joy-Con-Gel-Guards-Gray/dp/B01MUAO202?tag=ashking-20

I read that these can really help. I have some grips from PDP that give the Joy Cons some more firth, and it certainly helps. No question that when playing portably, I have to reposition my hand on the right side from time to time, but I haven't encountered any cramping or anything. I would try some grips, and see what works. They are only about $7 per set, so even buying 3 or 4 different sets wont break the bank, and might be more than worthwhile if your having that much trouble.

theMightyME

https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Switch-Joy-Con-Gel-Guards-Gray/dp/B01MUAO202?tag=ashking-20

I read that these can really help. I have some grips from PDP that give the Joy Cons some more firth, and it certainly helps. No question that when playing portably, I have to reposition my hand on the right side from time to time, but I haven't encountered any cramping or anything. I would try some grips, and see what works. They are only about $7 per set, so even buying 3 or 4 different sets wont break the bank, and might be more than worthwhile if your having that much trouble.
it has more to do with the length of my thumb than the grip of my palms... I need something that forces my thumb to reach further so that it isn't positioned oddly, I can't imagine the grips doing much there

I'll just wait.. I mostly play docked as is

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host

I will definitely agree that these things are wonderful. I picked up a pair for like 7 bucks at Wal-Mart. Well worth it. It gives you a little more to grip on and makes it easier to slide your hand out and reposition it. I still like the idea above better though lol.

Aki

out of curiosity, does anyone actually leave their console connected to wifi? half the time, even when i'm home, my console is in airplane mode.

theMightyME

I just bought and connected an ethernet to usb 3.0 adaptor for my switch, so it runs a hard wired connection tot he internet when docked... I have been having wifi issues, and had a whole ton of connection problems during the splatoon 2 testfire...

so I got this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AQM8586/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

$15... I'll see how I feel about it as I get more use from it.

I got bumped in splatoon on wii u a ton of times, and it was frustrating as hell, maybe this will solve that... I need to figure out why my wifi networks always suck... maybe there are too many wireless signals where I am.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I just bought and connected an ethernet to usb 3.0 adaptor for my switch, so it runs a hard wired connection tot he internet when docked... I have been having wifi issues, and had a whole ton of connection problems during the splatoon 2 testfire...

so I got this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AQM8586/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

$15... I'll see how I feel about it as I get more use from it.

I got bumped in splatoon on wii u a ton of times, and it was frustrating as hell, maybe this will solve that... I need to figure out why my wifi networks always suck... maybe there are too many wireless signals where I am.
So far from my experience on WiiU and Switch bring hardwired is flawless.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I'm connected to that 5 GHz Wi-Fi all the time, it's super fast and I experienced no latency on Splatoon. I basically wanted to test that there would be no discernible difference between being hardwired and using the nice Wi-Fi with this system, and so far I haven't felt anything to the contrary, but I'd like to see some real tests later on.

Aki

So far from my experience on WiiU and Switch bring hardwired is flawless.
easily the best way to go. i still have the official nintendo lan adapter from my wii u. i'm all wireless and i haven't had any issues with any console, wii u included, aside from switch. i never get full bars of wifi and sometimes i'll be connected but stuff won't work like platoon 2 test fire. i had issues accepting your friend request. like weird shit. and no other console that i've owned does this. luckily, i've only downloaded one game and a few patches and it's been smooth when it has worked. kind of has me concerned going forward, but we'll see.

sjmartin79

I'm connected to that 5 GHz Wi-Fi all the time, it's super fast and I experienced no latency on Splatoon. I basically wanted to test that there would be no discernible difference between being hardwired and using the nice Wi-Fi with this system, and so far I haven't felt anything to the contrary, but I'd like to see some real tests later on.
Yeah, I use WiFi only as well, and I've had zero issue. I even used hotel WiFi for the Splatoon 2 testfire, and no issues with that either.