Nintendo Switch - Official Thread

Aki

Yeah, I use WiFi only as well, and I've had zero issue. I even used hotel WiFi for the Splatoon 2 testfire, and no issues with that either.
it seems to be only some that are affected by the wifi. which has me convinced that it's something with my setup, but also the switch is complicating things because my other consoles nintendo included are fine.

Aki

I feel like they should've swapped the charge port and the headphone jack. So that you can charge and have the headphones plugged in at the same time and morning have it be weird.

I feel like they should've swapped the charge port and the headphone jack. So that you can charge and have the headphones plugged in at the same time and morning have it be weird.
I dont think swapping it solves the problem exactly. Also would probably mean you would have to dock it upside down, which would be weird.

Koenig

The Architect
I dont think swapping it solves the problem exactly. Also would probably mean you would have to dock it upside down, which would be weird.
They could have also used used a latch that swings down into the usb port were it on top, a less elegant solution though. I still think that having two USB-C ports (one on bottom for the TV port/ one on top purely for charging) would have been the best.

Aki

Well, I think I'm gonna have to send my Switch in for repairs. My bezel is getting pretty scratched up now due to my pinched dock and my Switch is also getting dust build up underneath the screen. Both common issues it seems like. Man, this sucks because the dust is gonna drive my OCD crazy and I really don't wanna give up Zelda for like a month. Fml.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
They could have also used used a latch that swings down into the usb port were it on top, a less elegant solution though. I still think that having two USB-C ports (one on bottom for the TV port/ one on top purely for charging) would have been the best.
or they could have simply had a usb port on the bottom that went a bit deeper into the system, and then provided a usb-c cable with a bent end designed to fit it, just imagine the back of the switch, at the bottom where the port is there is a small notch cut out, and the end of the usb c cable is an l shaped end... when the cable plugs in it is as if the cable is coming out of the back of the system, back but very bottom... the extra space needed would be minimal like 1.5 cubic cm tops... and the end result would fix the issue at hand while still being elegant

DarkDepths

Your friendly neighbourhood robot overlord
Just a note regarding wifi signal strength. It may be a low gain antenna but it may also simply be misreporting.

There is no standard unit for "wifi bars" and indeed no standard method of calculation. Nintendo may simply have been over optimistic about typical wifi conditions when designing the feature. 2 bars might actually equate to what your phone says is 5 bars.

Cubits

From my post on that reddit thread:

It has nothing to do with direct thermal expansion of the plastics since that wouldn't result in any detectable change even at very high temperatures. But even if thermal expansion was the culprit, it would be reversed upon cooling.

At very high temperatures, if the back panel plastic was softened by heat more than the screen plastic due to difference in composition, the thermal expansion of the copper heatpipe setup could possibly create enough force to create plastic deformation of the housing if improperly mounted/designed. While the case and screen are both thermoplastic polymers, the screen is likely to have a higher temperatures threshold, causing an imbalance.

But I doubt that this is an inherent design flaw since my own switch has well over 100 hours of docked gameplay under its belt, with a glass screen protector fitted for half of that (which would further restrict thermal expansion of the front of the device).

I'd point the finger at an inconsistent moulding process and/or plastic mix. My bet is whatever is causing the warp in the console is also causing the warp in the docks, which clearly weren't "bent" post-manufacture due to the lack of stress marks, or due to excessive heat. This irregularity in manufacture would account for the non-ubiquity of the problem.
If your switch isn't already curved it isn't going to, and if it is curved it's not going to get worse. By all means replace your device if you're unhappy with the manufacturing quality, but the problem isn't related to heat, it's due to cheaping out on the moulding process.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
here are my anticipated switch games.. I wotn get all of these, these are just the ones I am paying attention to right now

April 28th - Mario kart 8 Deluxe (leaning towards unlikely, I still play mk8 just about every day on wii u
May 2nd - Puyo Puyo Tetris (will probably wait for soem kind of sale)
May 23rd - Disgaea 5 (sure thing, day 1)
Spring - Arms (no idea, will probablyw ait and gauge reaction of other)

Summer - Splatoon 2 (sure thing day 1)
Summer - SteamWorld Dig 2 (very likely)

Fall - Runner 3 (possible)

Holiday - Super Mario Odyssey (very likely)

2017 - Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (sure thing, day 1... which will almost assuredly not be in 2017)
2017 - Ultra Street Fighter II (likely)
2017 - Jackbox Party Pack 3 (very likely)
2017 - Flipping Death (possible)
2017 - WarGroove (possible)

2018 - Fire Emblem (very likely)

TBA - No More Heroes 3 (VERY VERY likely)
TBA - BlazBlue (possible)
TBA - Dragon Quest 11 (VERY VERY likely)
TBA - Project Octopath Traveler (VERY VERY likely)
TBA - Tales of ? (need more info)
TBA - Shin Megami Tensei ? (very likely)

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
Here are my list of buys and possible buys of 2017:

Definite:
Lego City Undercover
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Splatoon 2
Jackbox Party 3
SteamWorld Dig 2
Super Mario Odyssey
Skyrim
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (if it releases)

Very Likely:
Arms
Yooka Laylee

Possibly:
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Sonic Mania
Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap
Stardew Valley
OceanHorn

Koenig

The Architect
Buying:
Super Mario: Odyssey (Winter 2017)
Skyrim (2017)
Xenoblade 2 (2017-2018)

On the fence:
Splatoon 2 (Summer 2017)
Mario Kart 8 Delux (Spring 2017)
Arms (2017)
Yooka-Laylee (2017)

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I will own:

PuyoPuyoTetris
MK8D
ARMS
Spla2oon
Mario Odyssey
FIFA
USF2

I'm not really on the fence about anything, I'm really looking forward to what they show that will give me a bigger wishlist at e3

Last edited:

Goodtwin

I'm certainly getting Mario Kart 8 later this month. Its going to be a great game to play when I meet up with my wife for lunch. We tried Sniper Clips, but it was somewhat frustrating trying to play that together. Not to mention I am sure the TNE crew will be playing it online together. My following game will be Street Fighter, and that's when I will splurge on a Pro Controller. Arms is like Splatoon was for me. If the TNE crew news to be playing it together, I will jump in, but if its short lived, then I will pass. Splatoon 2 is a no brainer. I liked Hyrule Warriors, but without the Zelda IP holding my interest, I cant say for sure I will jump in for Fire Emblem Warriors. I will be eyeing up Steep from Ubisoft. I always loved 1080 on N64 and Gamecube, so I am hoping they work with Nintendo to implement some 1080 pizazz. Then Mario Odysey and Xenoblade 2 to close out the year. There will most likely be a handful of eshop games like Snake Pass and Runner 3 to fill any gaps. There are multiple games on Wii U that I either want to finish or replay, so once again I have more to play than I have time for.

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
After my nephew tried out Zelda and was absolutely enthralled by the gyro controls for the arrows, I had a thought. Would I rather Nintendo put in gyro controls or analog triggers?

I'm definitely leaning to gyro controls. It just makes shooters much more intuitive to me.

Koenig

The Architect
After my nephew tried out Zelda and was absolutely enthralled by the gyro controls for the arrows, I had a thought. Would I rather Nintendo put in gyro controls or analog triggers?

I'm definitely leaning to gyro controls. It just makes shooters much more intuitive to me.
Why not have both?

Wanted to make a thread pertaining to this yesterday but didnt want to seem like I was latching onto a trend.
But doing this a day later only makes that notion worse.
Oh well.
I'll do it here just to save room.

Nintendo Switch First Month Check-up
Obviously not all of us got Switch day one, so this will be for those of you who have had it for a month, or just a little under.

I've played on the Switch for around around 156 hours
~145 Hours of Zelda
~5 Hours of Splatoon 2
~5 Hours of Snipperclips
~1 Hour of demos

Of those hours I've played the Switch in:
Docked Mode: 1.3% of the time (about 2 hours)
Kickstand Mode: 3.2% of the time (about 5 hours)
Handheld Mode: 95.5% of the time (about 149 hours)

I've enjoyed my time with the Switch 99% of the time so far. Its been a dream. As some of you know, I was all about off-TV mode on Wii U. Its how I played pretty much every game that allowed me to, even "intense" multiplayer games like CoD (which y'all know I was no slouch in).
Switch has been a joyous experience thanks to my own personal preferences. Its been very comfy in my Trump-large hands and I have been using the portable nature of it every day. If you see someone playing the Switch in public, its me, I'm the one. I havent had the "aha" moment that some of you might have when going from docked to portable and leaving the house. The "aha" moment for me was simply playing the biggest game of the year on the go from the comfort of my bed to a midtown office building to crappy hipster burger joints to traffic jams to campuses to other states etc. Same great game through and through.
Kickstand mode has been interesting. Its not my ideal, but I'm glad its there. Played a good amount of Snipperclips on my way to an airport and very much wish that the headstand accessory seen in the Switch reveal trailer was a thing because it was difficult playing that without it. Another "aha" moment of just snapping out a Joycon and handing it over and playing a cute little puzzle game. Very cool.
Docked mode is whatever to me at the moment. I suspect it will change once ARMS and Splatoon 2 come out. ARMS because of the way that game should be played by pros like myself. And Splatoon because I enjoyed how it played on the Pro Controller more than I did in handheld mode.

One month in, I have had an issue crop up. Yes, I've dropped my Switch 3 times already. Its sturdy, even with a game in it and awake it didnt freeze or anything, and it doesnt look scuffed up. But on that third drop I did chip a bit of the lock mechanism thats inside the joycon. So while it does take a good effort, the left joycon can be popped off without pressing the release button. Hasnt been a problem for me while playing, but its worth mentioning that the console is not bulletproof, it does bleed when pushed to the edge.

I wonder if Zelda has distracted me from some other issues I might have found with the system. Like the bare OS (which I dont mind, it has been fast and functional, I screencap everything and post to twitter because its very easy) and game line-up. I wonder what my experience would be like sans Zelda, or given a bad Zelda game.
But I dont like thinking in hypotheticals, Zelda is that good and I already have a handful of games I'm prepared to get as I near the end of my first playthrough of the game (maybe give me one more week).

Odo

Wanted to make a thread pertaining to this yesterday but didnt want to seem like I was latching onto a trend.
But doing this a day later only makes that notion worse.
Oh well.
I'll do it here just to save room.

Nintendo Switch First Month Check-up
Obviously not all of us got Switch day one, so this will be for those of you who have had it for a month, or just a little under.

I've played on the Switch for around around 156 hours
~145 Hours of Zelda
~5 Hours of Splatoon 2
~5 Hours of Snipperclips
~1 Hour of demos

Of those hours I've played the Switch in:
Docked Mode: 1.3% of the time (about 2 hours)
Kickstand Mode: 3.2% of the time (about 5 hours)
Handheld Mode: 95.5% of the time (about 149 hours)

I've enjoyed my time with the Switch 99% of the time so far. Its been a dream. As some of you know, I was all about off-TV mode on Wii U. Its how I played pretty much every game that allowed me to, even "intense" multiplayer games like CoD (which y'all know I was no slouch in).
Switch has been a joyous experience thanks to my own personal preferences. Its been very comfy in my Trump-large hands and I have been using the portable nature of it every day. If you see someone playing the Switch in public, its me, I'm the one. I havent had the "aha" moment that some of you might have when going from docked to portable and leaving the house. The "aha" moment for me was simply playing the biggest game of the year on the go from the comfort of my bed to a midtown office building to crappy hipster burger joints to traffic jams to campuses to other states etc. Same great game through and through.
Kickstand mode has been interesting. Its not my ideal, but I'm glad its there. Played a good amount of Snipperclips on my way to an airport and very much wish that the headstand accessory seen in the Switch reveal trailer was a thing because it was difficult playing that without it. Another "aha" moment of just snapping out a Joycon and handing it over and playing a cute little puzzle game. Very cool.
Docked mode is whatever to me at the moment. I suspect it will change once ARMS and Splatoon 2 come out. ARMS because of the way that game should be played by pros like myself. And Splatoon because I enjoyed how it played on the Pro Controller more than I did in handheld mode.

One month in, I have had an issue crop up. Yes, I've dropped my Switch 3 times already. Its sturdy, even with a game in it and awake it didnt freeze or anything, and it doesnt look scuffed up. But on that third drop I did chip a bit of the lock mechanism thats inside the joycon. So while it does take a good effort, the left joycon can be popped off without pressing the release button. Hasnt been a problem for me while playing, but its worth mentioning that the console is not bulletproof, it does bleed when pushed to the edge.

I wonder if Zelda has distracted me from some other issues I might have found with the system. Like the bare OS (which I dont mind, it has been fast and functional, I screencap everything and post to twitter because its very easy) and game line-up. I wonder what my experience would be like sans Zelda, or given a bad Zelda game.
But I dont like thinking in hypotheticals, Zelda is that good and I already have a handful of games I'm prepared to get as I near the end of my first playthrough of the game (maybe give me one more week).
Shame on you. You're playing too much videogame.

Koenig

The Architect
I may have missed this before, but it seems that the Wifi autoconnect on the switch seems to be the culprit behind most of the Switches framerate drops. Supposedly turn it off or using airplain mode will solve most of these issues, although I have read conflicting reports on this.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Well I'm hardlined aswell as I've had airplain off since day 1.

And I've been confused about frame rate issues because they weren't in my copy that I could tell. Aswell as I've never had a problem with the left joycon even tho I sit 17 feet away from my Switch / TV.

I've been rather surprised to find that I'm actually having a number of hardware problems, all to do with the left joycon.

So I sit about 7 feet away from the Switch with nothing but air in the space between, and depending on how I sit (if I put my legs up a bit) I will constantly lose connection.

Then one day, I was trying to turn the Switch on and start playing, but the left joycon was completely unresponsive. Like, it seemed dead. Pressing all the buttons did nothing, attaching it to the console did nothing... I tried everything I could think of, and then just as I was accepting the fact that I was going to have to call customer support, it came back to life. Full charge, nothing wrong with it.

Then one day I was playing in handheld form - with the freakin joyons attached to the console - and the left joycon lost connection! I had to actually detach the joycons in order to keep playing! What the hell is that all about?!

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Then one day, I was trying to turn the Switch on and start playing, but the left joycon was completely unresponsive. Like, it seemed dead. Pressing all the buttons did nothing, attaching it to the console did nothing... I tried everything I could think of, and then just as I was accepting the fact that I was going to have to call customer support, it came back to life. Full charge, nothing wrong with it.
This happened to me on my second day with the Switch, and hasn't happened since. I really don't know what that was about, other than the left Joycon being a pos in general. You should eventually log it with customer support so they can send you one from the recent batches.

Aki

Got the confirmation email that my Switch is being sent back. It should be here today or tomorrow!!!

Edit: They shipped it back w/ UPS Next Day Air. Obviously Nintendo knows they're dealing w/ a VIP here lol.

Edit 2: IT HAS ARRIVED!!!! Gonna go test it out once I come home to watch the Real Madrid game.

Last edited:

Koenig

The Architect
The Switch is simultaneously the highest quality system and the most malfunction prone system Nintendo has ever made...Here's hoping the Switch "lite" comes out sooner than later to resolve the issues with the initial run. (Although I don't want it to expand much beyond that)