Nintendo Switch - Official Thread

Aki

Picked up the package and everything looks good. From the paperwork, it seems like they changed the screen. I'm not sure if they gave me a new dock or not, which has me worried. If it's the same dock, the screen scratching issue will persist. So we'll see. As for the repair itself, I'm super impressed w/ Nintendo. They received my package in the afternoon of the 7th and it's now noon on the 12th and I have my Switch back. My save data and everything is in tact. Finally gonna get to continue my Zelda adventure!

Last edited:

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
The Switch is simultaneously the highest quality system and the most malfunction prone system Nintendo has ever made...Here's hoping the Switch "lite" comes out sooner than later to resolve the issues with the initial run. (Although I don't want it to expand much beyond that)
So it's definitely living up to its name as s hybrid system.

Goodtwin

I had a situation where my left Joy Con became disconnected, and wouldn't reconnect by sliding it on the system. I had to use the alternative red sync button method and it came back to life.

I think this is the typical teething issues early adopters get to enjoy. It's not good, but it's not abnormal for new products. Nintendo's customer service is typically great, so if your having issues, contact them before your warranty ends. Wait until it's convenient for you. You have a year. Get it repaired at your discretion. If it's functional, don't disrupt your play. Wait until you have a week or two that makes sense. Next February, if you have any complaints or concerns, send it in to Nintendo and use that warranty.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Koenig

The Architect
I had a situation where my left Joy Con became disconnected, and wouldn't reconnect by sliding it on the system. I had to use the alternative red sync button method and it came back to life.

I think this is the typical teething issues early adopters get to enjoy. It's not good, but it's not abnormal for new products. Nintendo's customer service is typically great, so if your having issues, contact them before your warranty ends. Wait until it's convenient for you. You have a year. Get it repaired at your discretion. If it's functional, don't disrupt your play. Wait until you have a week or two that makes sense. Next February, if you have any complaints or concerns, send it in to Nintendo and use that warranty.

Sent from my SM-G360V using genital warts
Note that accessories like the Pro Controller only have a warranty for three months. If you have issues with them be sure to send them in for repairs on time.

Goodtwin

Really solid direct. I like how they are continuing to show 3DS some love, even if its obvious that it isn't the premier platform for Nintendo at this point. Its far from a clean break, and there is still a lot of good 3DS support in the works. This is how you do it right, taper off 3DS support rather than a clean break.

Switch was obviously highlighted by Splatoon 2, with its "Zombie" mode and all, but I was shocked at just how much content they had to show. Nordic THQ has two games I knew nothing about, and Xseed games is bringing the typical niche content they specialize in to the Switch. Regardless, if your an RPG fan, Switch is looking so good right now. In this Direct alone, we three JRPG games I believe. I believe THQ Nordic will be a huge supporter for Switch. They specialize is releasing old games with HD makeovers, but this could be a solid addition with games like Sphinx HD and probably Darksiders as well. Not exactly sure why Neogeo has taken the spotlight as far as Virtual Console games go, but Nintendo has given it the stage, and I got to admit that I loved Samaria Showdown, and will probably get my money soon on Switch.

E3 will be spectacular this year. Nintendo is off to a great start.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
Arms is fleshing out nicely, and the new splatoon 2 stuff looks cool, especially the earlier than elected release date.

Why is sonics nose a buttplug now?

Happy there will be a Disgaea 5 demo, but i just want the game

Monopoly on the system is interesting, hope it is cheap.

THQ Nordic? Interesting... The games they brought?... Not so much

Nothing exciting really... Just give me jack party pack 3 tomorrow

oh PuyoPuyo Tetris demo today is cool, I do wonder if it has local multiplayer in it though, because as far as I could tell, couldnt see the option in the japanese demo.

Very miffed that Boxboy is not getting a standalone collection or its amiibo over here. Gonna have to import it.

New Pikmin is not Pikmin 3.

Monster Hunter Stories is coming over finally, but man with all these 3DS games I kinda just wish they ported them over to Switch, I cant be arsed to go back to the 3DS these days.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Decent Direct.

-Nice content for 3DS owners.
-Wow, that's a lot of turn-based RPGs.
-I think Arms looks quite good. When revealed, it just looked like Wii Boxing with noodle arms. Now you have different attacks per arms, the directional attacks with each arm, dodging, kick attacks and blocks, specials...there's a lot there. Playing it with four people looks chaotic but fun. I think I'm in. Dibs on Ramen girl.
-SF2 looks good. I suck at 2D fighters, but I think I'd buy it.
-The color/block multiplayer puzzle thing looks neat.
-Sine Mora has been on my "maybe, if I had the right system" list for awhile.
-Splatoon 2 is the "must buy a Switch for this" game for me. Looks fantastic. Horde mode, but with demented salmon? Sure, I guess.

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
My wife has been playing Puyo Puyo Tetris (demo) for the last two hours straight with no end in sight.

This leads me to one conclusion.

I need to buy another Switch to finish Zelda...

Socar

Of all the western third party games that could happen to switch.....payday 2 is the only one......wow.

I mean...there's nothing wrong with that considering that its only *Ahem* four years old of a game....its just that...oh idk, we could have had something like...Boom Blox?

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Of all the western third party games that could happen to switch.....payday 2 is the only one......wow.

I mean...there's nothing wrong with that considering that its only *Ahem* four years old of a game....its just that...oh idk, we could have had something like...Boom Blox?
Why Boom Blox?

Payday 2 shows that THQ is interested in the Switch as a system for core games, at least as far as co-op games go. If the game sells decently, it could lead other developers to bring their own third party co-op games like Borderlands 3, Destiny 2, Rainbow Six Siege, Killing Floor 2, Space Hulk, and other stuff like that. I think it's a good choice of game to port, even if I'm not personally very interested in it (unless a bunch of other people are, since that's the point of that game).

Socar

Why Boom Blox?

Payday 2 shows that THQ is interested in the Switch as a system for core games, at least as far as co-op games go. If the game sells decently, it could lead other developers to bring their own third party co-op games like Borderlands 3, Destiny 2, Rainbow Six Siege, Killing Floor 2, Space Hulk, and other stuff like that. I think it's a good choice of game to port, even if I'm not personally very interested in it (unless a bunch of other people are, since that's the point of that game).
Why not Boom Blox? it fits the Nintendo feel to it being a party game and all.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
By the way, notably absent was the Monster Hunter XX port I wanted on the Switch. If it doesn't get announced at E3, I'll have to accept that we probably won't get Monster Hunter on Switch for a while.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
So this Puyo Puyo game is way fucking harder than I could have imagined.

I mean, it's cool that if I want to, I can study and practice this game for the next 3 years and get nowhere (just like I have in Street Fighter), but I'm not sure I'll ever get used to the feeling of learning useless shit for years and still be a scrub at it. Can I just pick up my damn guitar instead?

That video above reminded of this Banjo tutorial from The Onion:

Aki

I thought that the direct was good. not great or excellent, but good. 3DS still getting games is pretty cool. The new Pikmin game has me intrigued. I was getting mad Yoshi's Island vibes from it. Even though I have a new 3DS, I'd like a switch port of that game and the new Fire Emblem game. I'm still not sold on ARMS. It seems like it's going to be a cool game, but one that's not for everyone and, unfortunately, I think I'm gonna be in the not for everyone camp. However, I can also see this being a new Punch-Out!! like game. So I may like it after all. The new neon yellow Joy Cons don't really interest me. However, I'm happy that Nintendo is already releasing new colors this early on. I'd like some purple ones and black ones, please. Pay Day 2 is a good sign and a cool a game. The new THQ game, the second one, forgot what it's called has me interested. Not saying it's going to be anything better than a good game, but it has me interested enough that if it comes out at the right time, at the right price, I'd strongly consider buying it. The Puyo Puyo game looks pretty cool too. This is a console that can definitely benefit from a Tetris like game. Sine Mora is another game that I'm considering getting as well as that Namco collection. Speaking of which, we need more old-school collections like that. Box Boy has me interested, but depends on the price and, finally, Sonic Mania is looking good too. I'm pretty excited for that game. It's been a hot ass minute since I've played a genesis Sonic game and a good Sonic game in general. There's a part of me that still thinks Sonic > Mario, just sayin'.

Koenig

The Architect
I am still worried about the Switch's third party condition, at least in regards to AA and AAA games. If things don't pick up by this time next year I am probably going to have to give up on playing any major 3rd party games on the switch. Meanwhile on the indie front however, It looks like the switch is going to be a juggernaut. (Now if only they could resolve their pricing shenanigans)

Goodtwin

I am still worried about the Switch's third party condition, at least in regards to AA and AAA games. If things don't pick up by this time next year I am probably going to have to give up on playing any major 3rd party games on the switch. Meanwhile on the indie front however, It looks like the switch is going to be a juggernaut. (Now if only they could resolve their pricing shenanigans)
I expect little from EA beyond sports games. Ubisoft I think Will pass on porting Assassin's Creed, but I think we will see quite a few titles from them. Activision will most likely bring COD this year to test the waters, but I am expecting 30fps instead of 60. If COD sells poorly, then Activision will write off the Switch for games like Destiny. I think Square will port Final Fantasy VII remake thanks to it being on Unreal 4, same with Kingdom Hearts.

Koenig

The Architect
I expect little from EA beyond sports games. Ubisoft I think Will pass on porting Assassin's Creed, but I think we will see quite a few titles from them. Activision will most likely bring COD this year to test the waters, but I am expecting 30fps instead of 60. If COD sells poorly, then Activision will write off the Switch for games like Destiny. I think Square will port Final Fantasy VII remake thanks to it being on Unreal 4, same with Kingdom Hearts.

Kingdom hearts needs to be on the switch...It fits too perfectly not to be.

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
I'm sure it's been possible to do for awhile, but this is the first time I've done it. I bought an eShop game from my computer at work. It had how much credit I already had in my eShop account. Showed how much would be after. Emailed me a receipt. Then said it would begin downloading once I woke up my Switch from sleep mode.

Pretty handy.

I bought Jack Box Party Pack 3, in case anyone was wondering. I know I could have waited till I was home, but I was browsing on the site, it said "Buy Digital" so I thought I'd give it a go.

GaemzDood

One thing I'm worried about: if Call of Duty does come to the system, which it might given how Activision has historically supported Nintendo with the series, is it going to be as bad as the Wii U ports? I understand a lot of people on here played CoD on the Wii U, but both Black Ops II & Ghosts suffered from crippling FPS problems in the campaign, with the latter also extending to the multiplayer, as well as graphical issues owing to them being sub-HD 360 ports.

I don't care about resolution as long as it's not sub-720p docked like a certain Snake Pass. I just want a solid 60 FPS like Advanced Warfare along with content parity and I would totally buy a CoD game on the Switch.

Similarly, if Watch Dogs, Assassin's Creed, or whatever other open world game Ubisoft throws out there comes, I really hope it's not a repeat of the Wii U ports. They were based on the 360 versions, so you didn't get any next gen/PC enhancements, and you had crippling framerate issues. However, in the Wii U's case, the system was doing so badly that there was no incentive to make the versions good. Making them better would've costed more and it still wouldn't have recouped development costs. Look at Most Wanted U.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Took the Switch to my uncle's for some party happenings.
Most of the kids knew what it was and wanted to play Mario Kart, which they've seen on the TV and thought was out, but isnt unfortunately. They took turns playing Binding of Isaac and Snipperclips after I ran through the latter with one of my cousins. Didnt do all the levels, just the minimum needed to see the credits.
Its a lot shorter than I thought it would be. I wanna try 4-player one day just to see if we can survive that.

No one knew the password to the wifi in the house, so I tethered it to my phone and we played some Jackbox games through that. Multiple rounds of Trivia Murder Party, Quiplash and Guesspionage. so good. This was all in kickstand mode (at one point someone plugged in portable beats speakers to amplify the sound), but we still had a lot of fun. Great games, the both of them.

Oh, I've dropped my Switch a total of 8 times now. Alas, it now has a tiny but visible dent on a bit of the side of its face. doesnt affect the locking mechanism.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Took the Switch to my uncle's for some party happenings.
Most of the kids knew what it was and wanted to play Mario Kart, which they've seen on the TV and thought was out, but isnt unfortunately. They took turns playing Binding of Isaac and Snipperclips after I ran through the latter with one of my cousins. Didnt do all the levels, just the minimum needed to see the credits.
Its a lot shorter than I thought it would be. I wanna try 4-player one day just to see if we can survive that.

No one knew the password to the wifi in the house, so I tethered it to my phone and we played some Jackbox games through that. Multiple rounds of Trivia Murder Party, Quiplash and Guesspionage. so good. This was all in kickstand mode (at one point someone plugged in portable beats speakers to amplify the sound), but we still had a lot of fun. Great games, the both of them.

Oh, I've dropped my Switch a total of 8 times now. Alas, it now has a tiny but visible dent on a bit of the side of its face. doesnt affect the locking mechanism.
Maybe if you'd keep it tethered to your phone more often, it won't drop and hit the ground so much. :mmischief:

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
Well, I've made the decision to do it. Bomberman R is going to be traded-in tomorrow towards Puyo-Puyo Tetris. I can't take this game any longer. I played online earlier and 2 out of 3 matches were terrible. I can understand a slightly slower input lag, like in Smash, but when my character is literally moving without me touching the controller for up to 2 seconds there is something wrong. Single player just isn't worth it with the built in angles, either. I have one friend that plays local and he already owns it so I'll just play his copy if needed.

Can we just have Bomberman 64 on the VC? I'd be in on that day 1.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
it is funny, zelda talk has just dropped off entirely and since mk8d is basically just a port with an extra mode, it isn't getting the kind of discussion a big game would

this could be nintendo's challenging time with the switch

as people talk about it less, it actually become a more interesting study, in which we can monitor how the system continues to sell, and what role it plays in pop culture and society

worst case scenario, the switch fades away like a 1 hit wonder, best case it continues to become more and more embedded in our lives and seeing a character playign a switch on a TV show is the new "kid playing vidja" trope

GaemzDood

I've been hearing that the console versions are shit, and loaded with issues, as well as performance, so many don't high hopes for it. We'll see I guess.
The current gen versions don't have performance issues and have the DLC. Though the PS4 version has a trilinear filtering bug.

GaemzDood

Call of Duty has single player? LOL

Yeah, and it's actually pretty good. Advanced Warfare had a cool story about the slippery slope of PMCs, Black Ops II had branching objectives, and Infinite Warfare has some of the best dogfighting controls ever.

Koenig

The Architect
it is funny, zelda talk has just dropped off entirely and since mk8d is basically just a port with an extra mode, it isn't getting the kind of discussion a big game would

this could be nintendo's challenging time with the switch

as people talk about it less, it actually become a more interesting study, in which we can monitor how the system continues to sell, and what role it plays in pop culture and society

worst case scenario, the switch fades away like a 1 hit wonder, best case it continues to become more and more embedded in our lives and seeing a character playign a switch on a TV show is the new "kid playing vidja" trope
This is usually where third partys would pick up the slack, but their are essentially 0 major title hitting the system right now, I hope it does not hurt the momentum of the system too much.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I think Puyo Puyo is going to stealthily keep people going, but not a exactly a large number of people. Mario Kart 8, on the other hand, is about to be played by people that never touched in on the Wii U. For them, it's an insane value to get 48 of the best MK tracks all at once, plus 200cc GP and a good Battle Mode. It might not be the game that the media is looking to go crazy over, but it will be huge with kids, families, and groups of casual friends, so there will be a lot of word-of-mouth on Reddit and the like.

That said, I do think the next Switch media frenzy won't be until ARMS releases in June.

Goodtwin

Mario Kart 8 isn't creating a ton of buzz in these forums because most of us played it extensively on Wii U. I'm getting it for Switch primarily because of the proper battle mode, but it's not like there is a ton to discuss about it. We know what Mario Kart is all about. If we end up playing online as a group, discussion will spark up. Same will apply to Splatoon 2.