Nintendo Switch - Official Thread

GaemzDood

On the topic of the Wii U now that Nintendo is about to off it, I feel like Shin'en was the only developer to truly tap into the system visually.

Art of Balance uses a custom subsurface scattering shader for material rendering, physically based reflections, and image based lighting, as well as ambient occlusion and dynamic soft shadows. It also renders in high dynamic range with tonemapping. The post processing suite is pretty nice too, with chromatic abomin...I mean abberation and bokeh depth of field.

Pretty much every technical detail featured in Fast Racing Neo was done first in the horribly overlooked Art of Balance.

Goodtwin

It seems like Nintendo really is looking to make the most of the exceptional software that was released on the Wii U. They know they reached such a limited audience with the Wii U, and this really isn't double dipping as much as it is offering these gems to what they hope will be an expanded audience. I loved my experience with Xenoblade Chronicles X. Do I wan to sink another 100 into it replaying it on Switch? Probably not, but I would love to see it reborn on Switch for new players to enjoy.

So I think we can all agree that Hyrule Warriors is 2 is all but certain to hit Switch? I believe KOEI Tecmo stated that it was their best selling Warriors game in quite some time. I know I enjoyed it, felt really cool playing as a massively powerful Link. Really this is just another example of Nintendo partnering with third party developers where its a win for everybody. They also handled the DLC perfectly. There is ass loads of content in the core game, but if your really addicted, then they have a healthy amount of DLC to purchase.

I still cant wait for the total mind fuck Nintendo is going to put out there when Beyond Good and Evil 2 is Switch exclusive. You know Michael Ancel has wanted to continue the series for years, but Ubisoft has kept it on the back burner. The only way it was ever coming to light was if someone was willing to fund it, and I believe Nintendo is doing just that. PS and Xbox gamers are going to cry worse than when Bayonetta 2 was announced Wii U exclusive.

All these leaks are great, and show tons of promise for the Switch, but its really the title that we have know about the longest that will have the biggest impact. Zelda BOTW is going to be the biggest game Nintendo has ever developed, and its going to move some serious Switch units. Zelda BoTW showcases Switch as a proper core gamers machine. There are a lot of 3DS gamers that never purchased a Wii U, I simply cannot see those gamers passing up on Switch with the numerous high quality games coming to Switch in the first 12 months. It wouldn't surprise me if Switch reaches Wii U's lifetime sales in its first year. Nintendo is the premier dedicated gaming platform with the 3DS, and the added perk of playing on your TV should only make it more attractive.

Knowing how many high profile games will be there during the launch window makes me curious as to what Nintendo has planned for the first Christmas season. You know they are going to close out the year with at least one additional big hitter. Could we see a return of Metroid? It makes you wonder how Nintendo can manage a continuous rollout of desirable games when they are unloaded so many o their big hitters early on.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
On the topic of the Wii U now that Nintendo is about to off it, I feel like Shin'en was the only developer to truly tap into the system visually.

Art of Balance uses a custom subsurface scattering shader for material rendering, physically based reflections, and image based lighting, as well as ambient occlusion and dynamic soft shadows. It also renders in high dynamic range with tonemapping. The post processing suite is pretty nice too, with chromatic abomin...I mean abberation and bokeh depth of field.

Pretty much every technical detail featured in Fast Racing Neo was done first in the horribly overlooked Art of Balance.
This is an issue of tech vs art... Shine might have made the best technical user of the hardware, but the only game they made on the system that looks good (in my opinion) was their first, nano assault neo... Where as I feel that nintendo made fantastic use of the hardware despite technical criticisms, mk8 is stunningly gorgeous, as is splatoon... Meanwhile, I can analyze fast racing neo for what it is doing, but the game didn't impress me at all, because at the end of the day it is rather dull looking

Last edited:
considering a lot of these are ports, I can see each receiving sequels at some point during the Switch's lifetime.
Well, no, hold on.
I can see maybe Splatoon getting a full on sequel. With the Galaxy games, there's precendent for more than one 3D Mario game a gen. Same with TP/Skyward Sword.
Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros, Mario Maker and Splatoon work better as platforms on their own. Just continue updating and releasing fresh content for it for the lifecycle of the Switch.
Nintendo has a deep enough IP library to bring back stuff from the dead as well. Solitanze was always one to mention Mach Rider as a GTA clone, which was always funny to me but hell go ahead. There's a lot of leeway that can be made for these older titles. Mysterious Murasame Castle can be a Platinum joint. Time has been long enough that they can bastardize most of these older titles to fill out their genre base. Fill out the years with new IPs, sequels and continuing remakes/collections like the other guys have, add in handheld 3rd party devs they have on board (Shin Megami Tensei 5 needed ASAP), and you have a healthy life for Switch.

Still tenuous. I hope that mostly ports is not all Nintendo has on deck for the first year.

Koenig

The Architect
Why...Why the fuck is a Rathalos in a fucking airport!? Yes I see the damned portal behind it, but that is still no excuse for this kind of continuity break.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
wow, I was right
http://deadline.com/2016/11/monster...ws-anderson-jeremy-bolt-capcom-qa-1201856946/

props to @CitizenOfVerona for RUINING MY EVENING
my faith in Capcom plummets, as I think the MH5 rumor holds more weight after this trash.
Nintendo just paid and featured a direct for MH and that was the feature. I think Sony producing a movie is not confirmation that the PS is getting MH5.

Is it possible yes, hell for the right money MH could be on X1. I still think the games tho are firmly in Nintendos court.

(atleast this is me not panicking and trying to be realistic. Please Nintendo don't let me down on this one)

Koenig

The Architect
Nintendo just paid and featured a direct for MH and that was the feature. I think Sony producing a movie is not confirmation that the PS is getting MH5.

Is it possible yes, hell for the right money MH could be on X1. I still think the games tho are firmly in Nintendos court.

(atleast this is me not panicking and trying to be realistic. Please Nintendo don't let me down on this one)
Then again, Capcom is the shilling whore of the video game industry. Flash some money in their direction and they will always abandon whoever they are currently with.

Sony producing movies don't hold much water. The Activision Spiderman games were on every platform despite Sony making the movies.

That said, isn't there some G or Frontier game on PS4 in Japan or something?

edit: I forgot...HAHAHAHA that movie.

Monster Hunter Frontier is a subscription trash game that uses ancient mechanics and probably the same engine from Monster Hunter Dos. Designed to be incredibly grindy (inb4 haha, sounds like MH to me) and difficult beyond reason. Monster designs for the most part suck, as do the fight patterns.
thats just my opinion though. The PS4 game (MH Frontier Z) is just an updated version of Frontier G, which also got updated alongside it. You could tell who the real trashboats were when some PS4 owners were flaunting that as a way to taunt MH4 players and begging for it to be localized stateside.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Then again, Capcom is the shilling whore of the video game industry. Flash some money in their direction and they will always abandon whoever they are currently with.
This is true. Nintendo just had a whole direct just for MH tho. It's just hard for me to believe that Sony got this IP all the sudden. And if I know Sony as soon as they landed it for Playstaion they would be hollering it from the tallest mountain. Yet I hear nothing.

For sure the movie property isn't.
That was suppose to be for Fried. Capcom made a MH for PS4 despite it being crap.

Having a direct now makes sense, Stories just came out and XX was announced, plus Amiibo shit.

It wouldn't surprise me if MH5 or whatever they call it is multi-plat. I do expect to see a MH on Switch, whether that's 5 or a movie tie-in who knows.

well thats for sure, it never started on Nintendo's camp so it was never solely a Nintendo thing, its only been a thing recently with the mainline titles. Considering the Japanese audience they found success with and the portable audience they created, however, it would be foolish to abandon that and go solely home console, and on one that Japan doesnt particularly like. But thats a total Capcom move. I dont see MH ever leaving Nintendo, I can see me leaving MH if its something totally unrecognizable.

Goodtwin

I can't imagine a scenario where Switch isn't popular in Japan, so it would be foolish for Capcom to abandon Nintendo hardware for Sony. If they want to use the Monster Hunter IP for a totally different kind of experience on PS4, more power to them. Who knows, maybe they want to make a Monster Hunter: Devil May Cry edition.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I can't imagine a scenario where Switch isn't popular in Japan, so it would be foolish for Capcom to abandon Nintendo hardware for Sony. If they want to use the Monster Hunter IP for a totally different kind of experience on PS4, more power to them. Who knows, maybe they want to make a Monster Hunter: Devil May Cry edition.

Sent from my SM-G360V using genital warts
That makes me sick thinkin about it but yeah if they want the off shoots then yeah have at it.

GaemzDood

This is an issue of tech vs art... Shine might have made the best technical user of the hardware, but the only game they made on the system that looks good (in my opinion) was their first, nano assault neo... Where as I feel that nintendo made fantastic use of the hardware despite technical criticisms, mk8 is stunningly gorgeous, as is splatoon... Meanwhile, I can analyze fast racing neo for what it is doing, but the game didn't impress me at all, because at the end of the day it is rather dull looking
Which is funny that you say that because both of those games are also equally technically impressive for the system as they both use full deferred renders at 60 FPS.

theMightyME

Why...Why the fuck is a Rathalos in a fucking airport!? Yes I see the damned portal behind it, but that is still no excuse for this kind of continuity break.
this was my reaction to the final fantasy movie... "ok... so it is a final fantasy movie.. why is it scifi instead of fantasy? Why is it cg but going for photorealism instead of stylized? Why does it take place on fucking Earth? Why are there no Chocobos? Black Mages? Moggles? Summons? How is this Final Fantasy? " then there was Attack on Titan....

which went from this

to this

what the fuck happens to make the thought of adapting a fantasy setting for a japanese property into "how can we bring it into the present day".. it is as if the idea of a live action fantasy setting is completely foreign to them

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
this was my reaction to the final fantasy movie... "ok... so it is a final fantasy movie.. why is it scifi instead of fantasy? Why is it cg but going for photorealism instead of stylized? Why does it take place on fucking Earth? Why are there no Chocobos? Black Mages? Moggles? Summons? How is this Final Fantasy? " then there was Attack on Titan....

which went from this

to this

what the fuck happens to make the thought of adapting a fantasy setting for a japanese property into "how can we bring it into the present day".. it is as if the idea of a live action fantasy setting is completely foreign to them
The only explanation I can think of is maybe people relate better to something of their own era? I honestly don't know if it's true, but it does sound somewhat plausible. Either that, or the production company feels that consumers are stupid, so they dumb it down to the extent where it's made completely obvious about everything. Hey, I think that sums up Hollywood movies in general, doesn't it?

theMightyME

The only explanation I can think of is maybe people relate better to something of their own era? I honestly don't know if it's true, but it does sound somewhat plausible. Either that, or the production company feels that consumers are stupid, so they dumb it down to the extent where it's made completely obvious about everything. Hey, I think that sums up Hollywood movies in general, doesn't it?
it does, but I believe these are all Japanese productions

the attack on titan one really can't be done well by a japanese company anyways, as it is part of the plot that Mikasa is one of the only remaining japanese people in existence.. slave traders killed her family and tried to abduct her to sell because she was exotic, and that moment helped form the bond between here and eren and also made her a capable killer with a cold demeanor

so when the entire cast is japanese... that whole aspect is lost lol

can't wait for the japanese live action Berserk movie

Gouto Misaraki, Gutts for short, is an average japanese high school boy who must face off agaisnt demons when a portal to hell opens up in shinjuku

Odo

About MH, I think it all depends on the user base. Capcom now has to deliver an HD MH game, so putting their efforts on Switch or PS4 will depend on how many Switch units will be sold. PS4 is growing strong worldwide and in Japan. I believe MH would do very well on PS4 in case Switch doesn't take off.

PS4 now is the right place for the best Japanese games we can find. All big JRPG franchises are thriving there.

Shoulder

Lego City Undercover is going multiplat, coming out for XB1, PS4 and Switch
https://twitter.com/wbgames/status/801077794922844160/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw
http://www.vooks.net/lego-city-undercover-coming-nintendo-switch-2017/
sounds like a port, which would be weird considering how many Nintendo-specific easter eggs are in the game. Hope those arent removed if it is a port, keep that in for the Switch version if anything. Dont think its a sequel, but that would be cool too.
I was always considering on getting LCU, but I was always apprehensive due to the LONG loading times. I'd gladly get a Switch port at this point.

Koenig

The Architect
About MH, I think it all depends on the user base. Capcom now has to deliver an HD MH game, so putting their efforts on Switch or PS4 will depend on how many Switch units will be sold. PS4 is growing strong worldwide and in Japan. I believe MH would do very well on PS4 in case Switch doesn't take off.

PS4 now is the right place for the best Japanese games we can find. All big JRPG franchises are thriving there.
I mean, if you think about it there really is no reason for Capcom to leave MH exclusive to any one system. Capcom could easily develop one game and port it across all systems, especially if they develop for the weakest system and simply upscale it.

Cubits

I was always considering on getting LCU, but I was always apprehensive due to the LONG loading times.
I JUST made a video about the perception of Lego City Undercover a couple of days ago, and the hate for the loading times in LCU is fairly whack. Yes, there's a couple of long ones, but once you're out in the world doing stuff you'll never see a loading screen. Even if you die way away from a spawn point you'll only get a black screen for like two seconds, and usually it's instantaneous.

Going into a mission is a 45 second load, sure, and the start of the game stupidly has two loading screens, but combined they're under two minutes. The missions are long enough, and good enough, to be worth that load.

Meanwhile every time you die in splinter cell blacklist you're looking at over a minute. Every level, every restart. It adds up like crazy, and destroys the flow. It's reasonable to hate the loading in that game.

And games like Skyrim hardly have instant loading, and they load for every respawn, every tavern, cave, and dungeon. I can't see how XCX gets fingered for loading times when you can fly into the city, pick up a bunch of quests, and complete them at the four corners of the world without ever seeing a loading screen.

Running every game from disc surely cost the Wii U in terms of loading times, but that's generally offset slightly by much more efficient asset management (see: wii u file size vs the utter disrepect shown to my ps4 hard drive). Not having to sit through a massive install is a huge bonus, but i can see how people's memory of that would wane once the game is going.

It'll be nice on the switch, with the benefit of cart transfer speeds, to have our cake and eat it too. Snappy loading AND no wait for a game to see how much of a terabyte it can destroy?!

Odo

I mean, if you think about it there really is no reason for Capcom to leave MH exclusive to any one system. Capcom could easily develop one game and port it across all systems, especially if they develop for the weakest system and simply upscale it.
Consindering a mult-plat release, it's only worth it if Switch sells as good as PS4/X1 do. Unless Switch is really easy to port as it is between the console twins -- which I'm not convinced it is.

Goodtwin

Consindering a mult-plat release, it's only worth it if Switch sells as good as PS4/X1 do. Unless Switch is really easy to port as it is between the console twins -- which I'm not convinced it is.
The game was developed on Wii U, and the Switch is likely around 3x the power of Wii U, so it should handle an up port nicely. Lego City had a pretty low framerate, so just getting a solid 30fps, increased draw distance, and a bump in resolution or at least some quality AA would do wonders. The game looks good as is, performance was the biggest knock on the game. Lego City Undercover is definitely the best Lego game I have ever played.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Odo

The game was developed on Wii U, and the Switch is likely around 3x the power of Wii U, so it should handle an up port nicely. Lego City had a pretty low framerate, so just getting a solid 30fps, increased draw distance, and a bump in resolution or at least some quality AA would do wonders. The game looks good as is, performance was the biggest knock on the game. Lego City Undercover is definitely the best Lego game I have ever played.

Sent from my SM-G360V using genital warts
I was talking about a "MH5" for PS4 that could turn into a mult-plat for X1/NS

Koenig

The Architect
I was talking about a "MH5" for PS4 that could turn into a mult-plat for X1/NS
Again, why I mentioned Capcom might want to develop for the Switch first and upscale it to the PS4 and XO, as it would be much cheaper to do and falls in line with their development strategy with MH4U and MH3U

They arent dropping local multiplayer for a higher playberbase that has stung them only just recently (see: Street Fighter exclusivity) and one where they would have to pay to play online.

oh wait, this is capcom

Last edited:

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Two-fiddy! That's cheap!

I just wish they'd sell me a Pro edition. Don't mind them aiming at mass market but I want more storage, bigger battery, two docks, etc. I'm willing to pay for it, and I'm guessing there's at least 10 million people who would do the same...
If there is the pro/deluxe whatever I'm right there with you Tek. I'll buy the biggest nicest one they have.

Odo

Two-fiddy! That's cheap!

I just wish they'd sell me a Pro edition. Don't mind them aiming at mass market but I want more storage, bigger battery, two docks, etc. I'm willing to pay for it, and I'm guessing there's at least 10 million people who would do the same...
In my case, on the contrary, I'd like to have a cheaper and smaller NS without the dock. They made a Wii mini in the past, so I hope a NS mini without TV connection comes out 2-3 years from now, $100 cheaper. In my opinion that would be the right machine to succeed 3DS properly.

Shoulder

If there is the pro/deluxe whatever I'm right there with you Tek. I'll buy the biggest nicest one they have.
That's what she said. :mfancy:

But in all seriousness, if there is a Pro/Deluxe edition with bigger storage, a game bundled in, and the extra controller features included, I'd gladly pay an extra 50 bucks for it because you just know it would cost $300US if the standard model was $250US.

According to this guy, there were somewhat credible rumors from Foxconn recently and says that if these rumors are true, the Nintendo Switch could be very close to the Xbox One in terms of power, really impressive for a handheld console.

Koenig

The Architect
I am curious as to what any of these "accessories" to the switch might look like, and concerned that if true Nintendo may fragment their control schemes again if they are not included with the basic Switch unit. One of the biggest problems with many of Nintendo's accessories as of late is that they were sold separate from the main system, and thus regardless of their merit could never be developed for with the full backing of the system audience in mind.