Nintendo Switch - Official Thread

Odo

I can agree that I have 2D platforming fatigue to a degree, but when games like Shovel Knight or SteamWorld come along, that makes me appreciate all you can do in the 2D Platforming space.
never played shovel

dig is good tho, but its not exactly super mario stuff. thats why i played it

Odo

Shovel Night is one of the few 2D platformers I have played to completion, and this is coming from a guy who generally hates 2D platformers in any capacity; so for what little it is worth, I highly recommend it.
People say Shovel is the best game eva and I want to take a look, but I always think that I won't get it. Then feel like I wasted money in another 10/10 game that is not my cup of tea.

Like Wonderful 101. I still don't get it and never will. I don't get it why it's so praised.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
I don't get it. I tried.
I likely won't convince to give it another go, but why don't you get it? Is there something about that just rubs you the wrong way?

Here's one thing I will say about it. Unlike most games of its time, none were like W101, and in fact, I don't think there is another game quite like it. So straight away, there is a uniqueness towards it, plus it is also a Platinum game, who are probably the most niche developers in the industry right now. You either love, or hate their games, and there's usually never a middle ground.

Between the gameplay, the music, the slew of badassery all throughout, and yes, even the controls, it all eventually came together with a spectacle that a Marvel or DC Comics movie could only hope to achieve.

If I had to simplify the game into a chart, it's a line graph that goes up and up until the final climax, and it simply never gives you breathing room. There was a huge payoff when I finished the game, and I realized later on that very few games actually made me feel that way.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
I'm also in the not digging W101 camp. And yep, I tried. Maybe it'll end up like Xenoblade, where I appreciate it years later...but I started and restarted W101 quite a few times, and I never even came close to liking it (I at least appreciated XBC the whole time). Some games just aren't for everyone, folks.

Shoulder

Speaking of W101, I know Kamiya has hinted/teased that either a possible W101 sequel is happening, and/or a Switch port of W101 is happening. I, for one, would love to see W101 given new life on the Switch, and controls wise, you wouldn't have to really adapt anything because on the Wii U, it supports the pro controller out of the box.

From a technical perspective, it definitely left a bit to be desired as there were quite a few frame drops, but when I was having fun with it, the drops didn't really affect me.

I know some of you don't get this game, and that's fine. I'm just nosey in finding out the why is all. :)

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
I didn't like w101 either...I get it though, I just get that it isn't for me, I completely get the appeal, I got things out of it, but when the difficulty started going up I realized I just want having fun...

Pay if me thinks it might be Kamiya... Because the first Bayonetta was just frustrating with a few moments if great fun... Bayonetta 2 was like pure fun... So I would maybe dig a w101 sequel, in which Kamiya isn't directing

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I didn't like w101 either...I get it though, I just get that it isn't for me, I completely get the appeal, I got things out of it, but when the difficulty started going up I realized I just want having fun...

Pay if me thinks it might be Kamiya... Because the first Bayonetta was just frustrating with a few moments if great fun... Bayonetta 2 was like pure fun... So I would maybe dig a w101 sequel, in which Kamiya isn't directing
I had a long post addressing something marginally related, but instead let me just focus on this:

I don't think Kamiya necessarily makes his games any harder or more frustrating than anyone else in his office. Bayonetta 2 is actually harder than the first one, and I think the reason you liked it better is because you understood the game better by that point. That's how PlatinumGames' games work - they ask that the player master the super abilities of the superheroes they control before they can give the player that connection to the power fantasy.

Last edited:

theMightyME

I had a long post addressing something marginally related, but instead let me just focus on this:

I don't think Kamiya necessarily makes his games any harder or more frustrating than anyone else in his office. Bayonetta 2 is actually harder than the first one, and I think the reason you liked it better is because you understood the game better by that point. That's how PlatinumGames' games work - they ask that the player master the super abilities of the superheroes they control before they can give the player that connection to the power fantasy.
I disagree, it was the QTEs in the first game, they came out of nowhere and we're completely unforgiving, it is different in bayo 2... That is 1 of several issues bayo 2s combat is harder, and that is fine for me, but there are little abounded that are not in play... And every Kamiya game I have played has been like this... From okami to w101...I think it is Kamiya's sense of humor, and the same thing that makes some people love Dark Souls... But those traits so nothing for me... So it is just annoyance

Shoulder

I agree with Jueg on this one, having not played Bayo 1 or 2 yet, and I'm going to use another fantastic Platinum game as an example. Vanquish is one of the best straight up action shooters I've had the pleasure of playing, BUT it is not without it's learning curve. This is a game that strives for mastery in skill, like all Platinum games, which I think is part of what makes them very niche. Most gamers these days don't want to strive for perfection, and mastery of a game just to get the most out of it. This is why I feel games in general over the years have become watered down, and so-called franchised to the extent where as long as they check the basic marks of general gaming for a wider audience, it'll be made.

Odo

I likely won't convince to give it another go, but why don't you get it? Is there something about that just rubs you the wrong way?

Here's one thing I will say about it. Unlike most games of its time, none were like W101, and in fact, I don't think there is another game quite like it. So straight away, there is a uniqueness towards it, plus it is also a Platinum game, who are probably the most niche developers in the industry right now. You either love, or hate their games, and there's usually never a middle ground.

Between the gameplay, the music, the slew of badassery all throughout, and yes, even the controls, it all eventually came together with a spectacle that a Marvel or DC Comics movie could only hope to achieve.

If I had to simplify the game into a chart, it's a line graph that goes up and up until the final climax, and it simply never gives you breathing room. There was a huge payoff when I finished the game, and I realized later on that very few games actually made me feel that way.
I didn't even get the controls figured out. I couldn't give the little guys orders. It was so frustrating I had actual headaches.

That's why I don't get near Bayonetta. First because it looks like a fighting game and second because everybody says that it's a true Platinum gem.

Odo

I agree with Jueg on this one, having not played Bayo 1 or 2 yet, and I'm going to use another fantastic Platinum game as an example. Vanquish is one of the best straight up action shooters I've had the pleasure of playing, BUT it is not without it's learning curve. This is a game that strives for mastery in skill, like all Platinum games, which I think is part of what makes them very niche. Most gamers these days don't want to strive for perfection, and mastery of a game just to get the most out of it. This is why I feel games in general over the years have become watered down, and so-called franchised to the extent where as long as they check the basic marks of general gaming for a wider audience, it'll be made.
I think it's not about mastering to perfection but it's about pace.

I can master an RPG to perfection, I can walk through a huge world looking for an orb, but don't make me master curves in F-Zero. My fingers are stupid. It's frustrating.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
The Wiipad touchscreen was 100% pure garbage for W101, trashboat status.

My experience with the game is much like other people where the controls at the start was something to really wrap my head around. After playing the first level about 5 to 6 times I felt very comfortable with the controls and moved on.

Now I will say this you shouldn’t have to play a level over and over to “get it” but that was the best move I made.

Goodtwin

I disagree, Bayonetta 2 is far easier to get Platinum medals than the original, and witch times more forgiving in the sequel. The original game on normal difficulty is straight up harder than the sequel.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

EvilTw1n

Bayonetta 2 is actually harder than the first one, and I think the reason you liked it better is because you understood the game better by that point.
I disagree, Bayonetta 2 is far easier to get Platinum medals than the original, and witch times more forgiving in the sequel. The original game on normal difficulty is straight up harder than the sequel.
Yeah, I'm gonna have to go with the original being harder. I played them both back-to-back, then went back into both to play them on the next-harder difficulty (inevitably knocking them back down again, because masochism is for the boudoir, not my videogames). The first one was still more difficult.

And it's not a matter of the difficulty pushing me too far away, either. I think the first game is better, period (not visually, obviously), even though it frustrated me more.

...damnit. Now I want to go buy the Switch versions.
The Wiipad touchscreen was 100% pure garbage for W101, trashboat status.
I think that was one thing I never got past, honestly. Because the analog stick drawing wasn't intuitive - or that accurate - either. Kamiya had a great idea, but the execution didn't work for me. Drawing on the Wii U GamePad was something I wanted to do in a methodical game, like Okami, not a twitchy action game like W101.

I'll probably still go back to it one day. I know there's a good game in there.

Last edited:

theMightyME

that might be the case for some... but for me I recognize very specific frustrating aspects in bayo that are not there in bayo 2... but many of whicha re there in some shape or fashion in other Kamiya games... it isn't about the learning curve, it is this sadistic streak that Kamiya has, and some gamers LOVE that... it isn't a flaw per se, but it is something I very much do not like... bayo 2 kind of streamlined things, it is still hard, it still requires mastery, but it is mroe about the smooth feeling than being punishing.. so it is less punishing... whether it is harder or easier is just a completely different topic... I am NOT a fan of punishment in games.. I like a learning curve, I like progressing in my own skills... but I LOATHE being punished by a game... it is like when you play a racing game and a slight bump slows you way down so that you don't do it again.. I HATE that... it breaks the flow and ruins my mood... that doesn't mean iw ant the game to be easy... I just want to be rewarded for a display of skill rather than punished for a mistake... I want the game to not reward me if I fail rather than punish me

Kamiya is ALL about the punishment game... he carries it over into his twitter life too and the way he interacts with fans... and there is nothing wrong with that... it just isn't for me

bayo 2 never felt punishing.. mistakes were quickly glossed over to give you another chance, and to me that feels good... it is the kind of feeling you get when you die in the first xenoblade, but respawn right outside of the boss' range so that you can leave, grind, and come back (by warping within inches) and try again... it doesn't feel punishing... but it isn't necessarily easy either

there are things I just hate in gaming... I hate the feeling of the game sitting over your shoulder for the sake of tension... like the ticking clock in Majora's Mask, and I hate being punished for a mistake when all I want to do is try again

so when I game makes you fight 10 bosses in a row without saving, or diminishes you after losing a life... all of that just annoys the hell out of me... BUT I do not see it as a falw in the game.. just a big huge sign telling me the game isn't for me

this is also why I am struggling a bit with xbc2... so many of the thigns the team masterfully pulled off in the first game, and then in soem cases continued with in X were just rethought or done away with in 2... like the quests, they used to be pretty easy to figure out, but in 2 there are multiple times in which it is clearly designed to fuck with you... clearly set up so that you follow the map to a dead end and have to walk 400 miles in the wrong direction to find the proper way back... and that stuff just pisses me off... finding another way up is one thing... but purposely fucking with me is another... or just the lack of respect for the player's time... by making you go back and forth between the quest giver and some other bs, and then encountering some really crappy busy work... all of that just pisses me off... the maps piss me off, the fact that X had such a rgeat idea with the follow ball and overhead drone thing... and then those were just ignored in 2... pisses me off... I still like the game... but one of the best things about the first game was how much it did to streamline out the annoyances of rpgs... and 2 was like "hey, actually, we kind of like being annoyed... so here is everything we streamlined out... back in again)... thigns should have become more streamlined, not less.. it should have been so that if a description in a quest or afintiy chart said I had to kill a "blablabla" I should immediately be able to access a bestiary of enemies I have faced, it should take me right to that enemy (if I have seen it before)... along with any Intel on where they propagate based on where I have personally seen them... so that I can quickly find them again. And don't even get me started on weather patterns and how you have to warp away and then back to try and change them instead of just doing it by time which you are allowed to change... or just the smalled number of warp points in general per distance of area so that I find a place, see that I can't egt to where I need to, have to warp back to town and stay at an inn to lower the tide, then warp miles away and try and find it again with paths specifically designed to make you get lost (and not in a good way) only to get there and find out you need to find an entirely different path to the thign you can see right in front of you, that is only shown to you now that you have lowered the tide.. which is just f'n annoying...

these are all thigns I hate in games.. thigns not necesarily about the difficulty, but msot certainly about punishment vs a streamlined experience

I like my punishment to be emotional.. not stressful... I like that in the movie "a simple plan" the story and the cutting of the movie is designed to always build a sense of hope before punishing you for getting your hopes up... I LIKE that... but I don't like the Kamiya brand of giving me stress in a game

it isn't about the learning curve... at least not for ME

theMightyME

I think the first game is better, period (not visually, obviously), even though it frustrated me more.
COMPLETELY disagree, and that dictates a difference in our tastes

it is funny because I hated no mroe heroes 2 even though I loved the first game because I could feel the absence of suda who took a smaller role in the game, 2 was more polished, but it all felt soulless to me... I feel exactly the opposite with bayo 1 and 2... I think Kamiya did a great job creating the forumula, but the team took over on the second and improved it in just about every way possible (the story isn't as good I guess, and it doesn't have its equivalent to "fly me tot he moon" as a really cool musical tie... but in just about every other regard.. it was better... for me

Koenig

The Architect
I would be all over the Switch version of Bayo 1/2 right now if I did not have the Wii U version...Or had actually finished it either. I really need to get around to that at some point. Playing the games back to back burned me out hard the last time I tried, but maybe if I can get some free time I can actually get past the first few chapters in Bayo 2.

theMightyME

I would be all over the Switch version of Bayo 1/2 right now if I did not have the Wii U version...Or had actually finished it either. I really need to get around to that at some point. Playing the games back to back burned me out hard the last time I tried, but maybe if I can get some free time I can actually get past the first few chapters in Bayo 2.
For me, playing bayo 2 after the first game was awesome...a huge improvement over the first...

At this time though I have no plans to get it on switch... I'll get 3

EvilTw1n

COMPLETELY disagree, and that dictates a difference in our tastes

it is funny because I hated no mroe heroes 2 even though I loved the first game because I could feel the absence of suda who took a smaller role in the game, 2 was more polished, but it all felt soulless to me... I feel exactly the opposite with bayo 1 and 2... I think Kamiya did a great job creating the forumula, but the team took over on the second and improved it in just about every way possible (the story isn't as good I guess, and it doesn't have its equivalent to "fly me tot he moon" as a really cool musical tie... but in just about every other regard.. it was better... for me
I agree with you on NMH. The sequel looked better and was mechanically more sound, but I simply liked the original more. There was something missing in the second one. Suda set out to make a punk game, and did with the first one. The second one tried to make a nice, neat, more focused and mainstream formula. It's still very good, but the first one had a larger point (very few games are full-on satires of gameplay genres and ideas).

With Bayonetta, the sequel is undoubtedly better looking and more mechanically sound. But I think the original kept getting better the further into it you played. The sequel seemed to peak for me at that first Lumen Sage boss fight. After that, it was always good, but a bit scattershot. The story is a bit overwrought, too, IMO. But I'm in the minority with this opinion, I know.

Goodtwin

I agree with you on NMH. The sequel looked better and was mechanically more sound, but I simply liked the original more. There was something missing in the second one. Suda set out to make a punk game, and did with the first one. The second one tried to make a nice, neat, more focused and mainstream formula. It's still very good, but the first one had a larger point (very few games are full-on satires of gameplay genres and ideas).

With Bayonetta, the sequel is undoubtedly better looking and more mechanically sound. But I think the original kept getting better the further into it you played. The sequel seemed to peak for me at that first Lumen Sage boss fight. After that, it was always good, but a bit scattershot. The story is a bit overwrought, too, IMO. But I'm in the minority with this opinion, I know.
Nope, I too hold the original in higher regard. Don't get me wrong, the sequel is one of the best games ever, but the original just seemed grander to me. Comparing the two is like comparing a 9.7 score to a 9.5. It is super close, but I do feel like the original was more satisfying than the sequel, even if just barely.

Koenig

The Architect
Is the difference something you think can be accurately described by a 0.2 difference in the 10 point scale? Or is there another term or method you would use to describe the underlying cohesion behind the games like Bayo and No More Hero's vs their respective sequels?

Goodtwin

Is the difference something you think can be accurately described by a 0.2 difference in the 10 point scale? Or is there another term or method you would use to describe the underlying cohesion behind the games like Bayo and No More Hero's vs their respective sequels?
My point is that saying Bayo being better than Bayo 2 doesn't take away from the sequel being a fantastic game. They are both fantastic, and the criteria on why I think the original is better is marginal, hence a slight score variation.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I too think OK Computer is better than Kid A.
9.5 vs 9.5+.

GaemzDood

Am I the only one that's worried that Wolfenstein II is going to become vaporware like Steep and Redout's Switch ports? I really hope Nintendo showcases actual gameplay on their next direct.

Koenig

The Architect
My point is that saying Bayo being better than Bayo 2 doesn't take away from the sequel being a fantastic game. They are both fantastic, and the criteria on why I think the original is better is marginal, hence a slight score variation.

The reason I ask is that there seems to be a slight disconnect between general review scores and player satisfaction, at least among some of our cultures gaming gems. Take for example Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Galaxy 2. Although most reviews tend to rate SMG2 as the better game of the two (And its hard to argue that it objectively isn't, given the larger amount of content relative to the original); yet when I ask most of y'all about it a few years back, most people here (myself included) admitted to preferring the original overall. Something about that first game, and seemingly other games like Bayo and No More Hero's just does not seem to be properly conveyed by conventional review scores.

Perhaps this is getting too esoteric for general purposes, but it is something I am curious about. This unlabeled "cohesion" that some games have that makes them stand out over their otherwise superior brethren is something I want to be able to identify, and perhaps someday implement with my own hands.

theMightyME

The reason I ask is that there seems to be a slight disconnect between general review scores and player satisfaction, at least among some of our cultures gaming gems. Take for example Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Galaxy 2. Although most reviews tend to rate SMG2 as the better game of the two (And its hard to argue that it objectively isn't, given the larger amount of content relative to the original); yet when I ask most of y'all about it a few years back, most people here (myself included) admitted to preferring the original overall. Something about that first game, and seemingly other games like Bayo and No More Hero's just does not seem to be properly conveyed by conventional review scores.

Perhaps this is getting too esoteric for general purposes, but it is something I am curious about. This unlabeled "cohesion" that some games have that makes them stand out over their otherwise superior brethren is something I want to be able to identify, and perhaps someday implement with my own hands.
I don't think it is the same thing... It isn't a single factor that plays that role

In the case of no more heroes I call it soul, mostly because my main reaction to nmh2 was that it was soulless

But I do not think bayo 2 was soulless at all, I think what people prefer about the first game (I am not one of them) is it's punishing nature, some gamers adore that, they like the stress in games because of the jubilation they feel in overcoming it... And while bayo 2 is still a hard game, it doesn't stress you out in the same way, as such it won't give you the same sense if jubilation if that is the kind if game you like... For me it isn't, so for me bayo 2 is vastly Superior.

With No More Heroes, it isn't a gameplay difference that plays into why somebody might like 1 over 2 or vice versa... It is something in the presentation, the sense of humor and the characterization.... In basic commands and such nmh2 is a refinement, and the weapon variety is an improvement, I would argue that any gains in gameplay there though are offset by the god awful "platforming" they added in on certain segments. My biggest issue though is mostly tied to the bosses... They just aren't as vibrant and interesting, and the fights themselves are mostly dull in comparison.... Also, while the world in the first game was barren, there was also something interesting about it with giant wrestling rings in the roofs of Burger places and such... Taking the world it wasn't necessarily a bad idea, but they should have added some of the character from the world into the menu that replaced it

I don't know what it is with Galaxy that divides opinions on the 2 games, but my guess was always that the wonder of the first game just couldn't be replaced with such a similar second game... It was the expansion pass effect... Something Majora's Mask avoided by doing so many new and different things to the gameplay as well as the world and the tone.

Last edited:

Shoulder

Am I the only one that's worried that Wolfenstein II is going to become vaporware like Steep and Redout's Switch ports? I really hope Nintendo showcases actual gameplay on their next direct.
I honestly don't know why you're comparing a major AAA franchise to two brand new titles which have only just come last year. Also, neither Steep, or Redout are even out on the Switch yet.

EvilTw1n

Yes. The only reason I don't even have a Switch is because of my various other expenses.
Cool. One more for the good guys. The only reason a game like this - one that has been announced and has had a deal signed with a company to do the porting - would turn into vapor is if people aren't buying these games. Bethesda has two test cases at this point. I'd think it highly unlikely that they cancel this game at this point, unless Bethesda is super disappointed in their performance on Switch thus far. But they only confirmed porting duties a month ago, so I wouldn't be too worried yet.

GaemzDood

Cool. One more for the good guys. The only reason a game like this - one that has been announced and has had a deal signed with a company to do the porting - would turn into vapor is if people aren't buying these games. Bethesda has two test cases at this point. I'd think it highly unlikely that they cancel this game at this point, unless Bethesda is super disappointed in their performance on Switch thus far. But they only confirmed porting duties a month ago, so I wouldn't be too worried yet.
Skyrim is selling like hotcakes and DOOM is doing pretty well on the eShop considering it's a port of a year old game running at a sub-HD resolution and 30 FPS.

GaemzDood

Daily Gaemz Wisdom: That Monster Energy Supercross game that recently came out on Switch is lazy enough to be reminiscent of certain Wii U ports. It only has 12 player cap compared to the other versions' 22, no online or local multiplayer, and no track editor. Don't buy it.

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
Scribblenauts game looks like ass too
That's sad to hear. The one on WiiU was pretty fun to play. What makes it look so bad?

Edit:

Disregard what I asked. It's a freakin' mini-game junkfest! Why?!?!?

Also, the controls look pretty terrible when you can't use touch controls. No buy for me.

Last edited:

Koenig

The Architect
I think it is safe to say that the Switch is in a small drought right now. We have all seen far worse on Nintendo systems, but I do really hope they have something big to give us in the next couple of months. Nintendo still has a lot of momentum from Zelda and Mario, but it won't last forever; it my hope that they will continue to hit while the iron is hot.

theMightyME

Daily Gaemz Wisdom: That Monster Energy Supercross game that recently came out on Switch is lazy enough to be reminiscent of certain Wii U ports. It only has 12 player cap compared to the other versions' 22, no online or local multiplayer, and no track editor. Don't buy it.
Aww man, I thought it had AAA written all over it