Nintendo Switch - Official Thread

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
I think it is safe to say that the Switch is in a small drought right now. We have all seen far worse on Nintendo systems, but I do really hope they have something big to give us in the next couple of months. Nintendo still has a lot of momentum from Zelda and Mario, but it won't last forever; it my hope that they will continue to hit while the iron is hot.
Only for Wii u gamers, which is a small number.. For everyone else Bayonetta 2 just came out, and if you look at sites, they are reacting as if it had never come out before

GaemzDood

I think it is safe to say that the Switch is in a small drought right now. We have all seen far worse on Nintendo systems, but I do really hope they have something big to give us in the next couple of months. Nintendo still has a lot of momentum from Zelda and Mario, but it won't last forever; it my hope that they will continue to hit while the iron is hot.
I feel like rather than experiencing typical Nintendo console Soviet Union style droughts, from now on, it'll be that you'll think you're in a drought because games are secretly being worked on and aren't gonna be announced until Nintendo Direct.

GaemzDood

People really need to stop giving a shit about UK sales numbers for Switch games. Europe as a whole is pretty hostile to Nintendo. I was reading a Bloober Team [Layers of Fear] interview and they stated that Nintendo is basically nonexistent in Poland.

Xenoblade 2 sold like 14k in the UK but 1 million worldwide. It's pretty obvious that Europe isn't Nintendo's strong suit, though there are ways to change that (use the Excite IP to develop a Colin McRae Rally/DiRT Rally style sim racer, Europeans love those).

Odo

The reason I ask is that there seems to be a slight disconnect between general review scores and player satisfaction, at least among some of our cultures gaming gems. Take for example Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Galaxy 2. Although most reviews tend to rate SMG2 as the better game of the two (And its hard to argue that it objectively isn't, given the larger amount of content relative to the original); yet when I ask most of y'all about it a few years back, most people here (myself included) admitted to preferring the original overall. Something about that first game, and seemingly other games like Bayo and No More Hero's just does not seem to be properly conveyed by conventional review scores.

Perhaps this is getting too esoteric for general purposes, but it is something I am curious about. This unlabeled "cohesion" that some games have that makes them stand out over their otherwise superior brethren is something I want to be able to identify, and perhaps someday implement with my own hands.
I think SMG is a far superior game than SMG2. I know that usually people rate Mario by gameplay alone. So maybe SMG2 has a better gameplay, I wouldn't discuss that, but I see SMG2 as a step back overall. Perhaps because I still prefer 3d hub world Mario.

Odo

I agree that games that punish you aren't really cool, but maybe sometimes we just like it.

I don't like it on games like Bayo. Never played it, but I can tell it. It's not for me.

But I'm a FE fan, and at least old school FE punishes you a lot. You do all the stuff right, playing like 2h in a chapter and then 1 single thing that you forgot to do like bringing 2 healers, or one guy that you forgot to move, or one weapon that you should have brought, and boom, you loose your super strong character and feel like you have to restart. But you invested so much in the chapter, that restarting just upsets you and if you don't restart and follow the game without that character, you know that you'll be severely punished later on because that guy will make a difference.

Sometimes you have to start over because you followed the wrong strategy, but you only realise that after 2h invested in a chapter. It's a pain in the neck.

So as a FE lover, I just restart and feel the pain for more 2 hours and I'll never accept a FE where characters don't die, it's just doesn't feel right... however the feeling of making a house of cards and then because of one single mistake it's all gone and you have to start over is painful and that's what made me not finish one or two FE games.

Sometimes you invest a lot, like 40h in the game, but still you don't have the right characters and weapons and strong guys to beat the last boss, but still after you beat it, there's one more that you have to beat without saving and you just get pissed off.

Actually, I'm going through this right now playing FE Shadow Dragon.

theMightyME

I agree that games that punish you aren't really cool, but maybe sometimes we just like it.

I don't like it on games like Bayo. Never played it, but I can tell it. It's not for me.

But I'm a FE fan, and at least old school FE punishes you a lot. You do all the stuff right, playing like 2h in a chapter and then 1 single thing that you forgot to do like bringing 2 healers, or one guy that you forgot to move, or one weapon that you should have brought, and boom, you loose your super strong character and feel like you have to restart. But you invested so much in the chapter, that restarting just upsets you and if you don't restart and follow the game without that character, you know that you'll be severely punished later on because that guy will make a difference.

Sometimes you have to start over because you followed the wrong strategy, but you only realise that after 2h invested in a chapter. It's a pain in the neck.

So as a FE lover, I just restart and feel the pain for more 2 hours and I'll never accept a FE where characters don't die, it's just doesn't feel right... however the feeling of making a house of cards and then because of one single mistake it's all gone and you have to start over is painful and that's what made me not finish one or two FE games.

Sometimes you invest a lot, like 40h in the game, but still you don't have the right characters and weapons and strong guys to beat the last boss, but still after you beat it, there's one more that you have to beat without saving and you just get pissed off.

Actually, I'm going through this right now playing FE Shadow Dragon.
That was my point, some people love that, they love that feeling of triumph they get when they overcome it... Where as for me... It does nothing for me

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
What are the chances of Capcom porting RE4 over to the Switch, AND including motion controls like the Wii Edition? I only ask considering RE4 has been on virtually every other platform since its inception, so it only makes sense it'll see the light of day. And if RE: Revelations are anything to consider, motion controls would be a strong possibility.

Goodtwin

People really need to stop giving a shit about UK sales numbers for Switch games. Europe as a whole is pretty hostile to Nintendo. I was reading a Bloober Team [Layers of Fear] interview and they stated that Nintendo is basically nonexistent in Poland.

Xenoblade 2 sold like 14k in the UK but 1 million worldwide. It's pretty obvious that Europe isn't Nintendo's strong suit, though there are ways to change that (use the Excite IP to develop a Colin McRae Rally/DiRT Rally style sim racer, Europeans love those).
Nah, it's only the UK that is sub par for Nintendo. Xbox does well in the UK, but not so great in the rest of Europe. France is a strong territory for Nintendo, and Germany is pretty decent as well.

Is Bayo making bank? Yes sir! Charted well leading up to release on Amazon, and is near the top of the eshop charts. Estimates suggested Bayonetta 2 sold about 700k on Wii U, and I would bet it sells at least that well on Switch. This was an easy port for Platinum, and is selling at a full price.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Odo

That was my point, some people love that, they love that feeling of triumph they get when they overcome it... Where as for me... It does nothing for me
Yeah and overall I agree that punishing by design isn't good. I can't think of many games that I enjoy being punished and getting over the difficulties. Sometimes the triumph isn't worth it.

But there's nothing a hate more that difficult spikes. FE and some other RPGs have a lot of this. You just have to face a difficulty that makes you basically start over the entire game, because your party will never be ready enough for that. It's a shame. For action games it's even worse. I faced a difficult spike in Rayman that just turn me off. I was doing fine and then I just couldn't pass some stage where I had to do a perfect series of movements with no mistake or do it all again. Damm. This is so wrong in my opinion.

theMightyME

Yeah and overall I agree that punishing by design isn't good. I can't think of many games that I enjoy being punished and getting over the difficulties. Sometimes the triumph isn't worth it.

But there's nothing a hate more that difficult spikes. FE and some other RPGs have a lot of this. You just have to face a difficulty that makes you basically start over the entire game, because your party will never be ready enough for that. It's a shame. For action games it's even worse. I faced a difficult spike in Rayman that just turn me off. I was doing fine and then I just couldn't pass some stage where I had to do a perfect series of movements with no mistake or do it all again. Damm. This is so wrong in my opinion.
well, my point, I want to make clear, isn't that punishing games are bad... just not for me... in the same way disney musicals aren't bad... just not for me... I don't eat seafood, but I will never argue that seafood is something nobody should enjoy... I don't like it, but that doesn't make it bad

Koenig

The Architect
What are the best indie games on the Switch right now?

I am looking to buy some soon, but considering they all seem to get buried a day after release it is kinda hard to browse the shop without already knowing exactly what you are looking for.

theMightyME

What are the best indie games on the Switch right now?

I am looking to buy some soon, but considering they all seem to get buried a day after release it is kinda hard to browse the shop without already knowing exactly what you are looking for.
there are some youtubers out there that highlight the best games quite often with lists like "10 great switch games for under $10 and another 10 you shouldn't buy" and they make new videos in that style after some more come out...

the ones I hear the most about are celeste, steam world dig 2, oxenfree, and thumper

haven't played enough of any of them to really call what are and aren't great... I wills ay that the first steam world dig was awesome, and everyone seems to say 2 is better, Thumper I have only watched videos of, but it is f'n hypnotic, and oxenfree is a really interesting take on point and click adventure games with like constantly rolling dialog that you can interject in when you want to, or just stay quiet...

celeste looks like super meat boy, no interest here

there is also blossom tales which looks like a straight up rip off of zelda: lttp and is supposedly quite good

personally, I am holding out for dragon: marked for death, and bloodstained

GaemzDood

Care to elaborate?
Final Fantasy XII has framerate issues on both PS4 and PS4 Pro and doesn't run at a stable 60 FPS at 4k even with a Titan Xp.

Batman: Return to Arkham is a garbage port. Pared back effects, textures, and low framerate + dynamic resolution in Arkham City.

LA Noire on Switch has frame pacing issues, no frame skipping (meaning it's the least playable of all the ports) + a lower framerate than the PS3 version, lower draw distances than the PS3 version, and mostly uses assets derived from the PS3. On top of that, portable mode actually pares back effects compared to the PS3 (ambient occlusion) and runs at a lower resolution (960x720p) on top of the other issues. It still has yet to be fixed.

Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD has major performance issues on PS3 if you're playing at 1080p, as in as low as 14 FPS in X-2 major. The Vita version also runs at a much, much lower average framerate than the PS2 release despite running at a standard def resolution.

Heavy Rain on PS4: framerate issues there as well.

Assassin's Creed: The Ezio Collection is probably their most solid port on the basis that it actually runs well, but even that has its own issues (lack of in-game downsampling support on Pro).

I wont... I have seen videos and I just have zero interest in that, it just looks like a super meat boy clone, and those kind of games do nothing for me
Well, I haven't played Super Meat Boy, but Celeste is no clone. It's definitely its own thing. An obvious huge amount of love went in to making it. From what I know about Super Meat Boy, they're definitely in the same genre, and if super hard 2d platformers aren't your jam, then fair enough, steer clear. But you do it a great disservice by suggesting it's one of those "oh, hey, that Super Meat Boy is really popular right now, let's make a game like that" kind of games.

Shoulder

Final Fantasy XII has framerate issues on both PS4 and PS4 Pro and doesn't run at a stable 60 FPS at 4k even with a Titan Xp.

Batman: Return to Arkham is a garbage port. Pared back effects, textures, and low framerate + dynamic resolution in Arkham City.

LA Noire on Switch has frame pacing issues, no frame skipping (meaning it's the least playable of all the ports) + a lower framerate than the PS3 version, lower draw distances than the PS3 version, and mostly uses assets derived from the PS3. On top of that, portable mode actually pares back effects compared to the PS3 (ambient occlusion) and runs at a lower resolution (960x720p) on top of the other issues. It still has yet to be fixed.

Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD has major performance issues on PS3 if you're playing at 1080p, as in as low as 14 FPS in X-2 major. The Vita version also runs at a much, much lower average framerate than the PS2 release despite running at a standard def resolution.

Heavy Rain on PS4: framerate issues there as well.

Assassin's Creed: The Ezio Collection is probably their most solid port on the basis that it actually runs well, but even that has its own issues (lack of in-game downsampling support on Pro).
For the sake of things, are these framerate issues enough to stick out like sore thumb to where the game is unplayable? Having actually own FFX/X-2 on PS3, I don't ever recall technical issues, or ones at least that made me notice them. If they're there, I have yet to see them.

I also own the Ezio Collection, but haven't even started that at all, so can't comment on that, but as you said, a solid port it appears.

GaemzDood

For the sake of things, are these framerate issues enough to stick out like sore thumb to where the game is unplayable? Having actually own FFX/X-2 on PS3, I don't ever recall technical issues, or ones at least that made me notice them. If they're there, I have yet to see them.

I also own the Ezio Collection, but haven't even started that at all, so can't comment on that, but as you said, a solid port it appears.
A lot of people also complained about the redesigned facial animations that made the characters look flat.

The framerate is only an issue if you're playing at 1080p, problem is that the 720p mode looks awful on a 1080p TV due to the crappy edge detection AA. However, the Vita port is a mess all around. It's running at an SD resolution (yet it's called an HD collection, sounds like false advertising) and the framerate is much, much worse than on PS2.

Honestly, the only reason The Ezio Collection is solid is because they literally made no changes to it. If they tried to redesign it or port it to a new engine like with the Batman collection, they probably would have screwed it up.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

GaemzDood

more (likely) Splatoon inspiration, this time in a neat looking racing game.

ALSO, clearly a ripoff of my idea I had way back in the day for the original game. But I'll allow it.
So basically, rather than use speed boosts like Fast RMX, you create your own.

Also, that trailer looks bloody gorgeous on a technical and artistic level. Hopefully it's 60 FPS.

Odo

well, my point, I want to make clear, isn't that punishing games are bad... just not for me... in the same way disney musicals aren't bad... just not for me... I don't eat seafood, but I will never argue that seafood is something nobody should enjoy... I don't like it, but that doesn't make it bad
And in my case, I think it's a bad design, I saw many beginners giving up a franchise just because a silly difficulty spike in one title. Nintendo, that is one of the best-- maybe the best-- game designers rarely does that. However I do like some games-- like old-school FE-- that does exactly that and old-school FE is one of the rare cases where Nintendo does that.

Odo

Actually no, that's not all.

Buy Celeste. Play it. Thank me later.

That's all.
I just saw by a tiny screenshot in the first page of the google search that it seems to be a 2d plat game. So, no, I hate the game already and I'll start a campaign to remove it from eShop, because the world has too many 2d plat games and some papers say that it may cause global warming.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Coming in 2019: Spladogs
Paint splatter and ink jet printer malfunctions are how dalmatians are made. I'm like 4% sure that's true. If anyone could make a game on dog painting, it's Nintendo.

...although, I suppose you could say the "cover everything"-idea was something Splatoon stole from de Blob.

Splatoon is de Blob with guns.

theMightyME

Paint splatter and ink jet printer malfunctions are how dalmatians are made. I'm like 4% sure that's true. If anyone could make a game on dog painting, it's Nintendo.

...although, I suppose you could say the "cover everything"-idea was something Splatoon stole from de Blob.

Splatoon is de Blob with guns.
I wonder if they did, Nintendo is in such a bubble sometimes, which can be frustrating for us since we are like "hey man, how about these industry standard and easily implemented features?"

not only is Nintendo itself in a kind of bubble but Japan is too, so I wodner if the developers of Splatoon had even heard of de blob, we would probably never know, because it isn't like the developer will come out and say "oh yeah, we have been trying to rip that game off for years, and we finally figured out how to"

Koenig

The Architect
I wonder if they did, Nintendo is in such a bubble sometimes, which can be frustrating for us since we are like "hey man, how about these industry standard and easily implemented features?"

not only is Nintendo itself in a kind of bubble but Japan is too, so I wodner if the developers of Splatoon had even heard of de blob, we would probably never know, because it isn't like the developer will come out and say "oh yeah, we have been trying to rip that game off for years, and we finally figured out how to"
I remember reading on a number of occasions that Nintendo (generally) never examines other popular games or services when designing their own. On one hand this does let them be a bit more creative as they are not negatively influenced by other works, but on the other hand it means that the they are neither positively influenced either. The majority of their work completely ignores what other games and platforms have done well. Voice chat, Online functionality, many in game features, basic control standards and even their own fanbases reaction to their games are something Nintendo STILL remains blissfully unaware of unless it comes from a different source than the players or developers themselves.

Payday 2 releases today. Anyone thinking of picking it up? It does not sound like a game that is fun to play alone, its definitely built for online co-op. I'm tempted but I wanna see some more impressions before diving in as well as some proof that Starbreeze is gonna bring over all the content that they've released in updated versions of the game to the Switch version.

GaemzDood

Payday 2 releases today. Anyone thinking of picking it up? It does not sound like a game that is fun to play alone, its definitely built for online co-op. I'm tempted but I wanna see some more impressions before diving in as well as some proof that Starbreeze is gonna bring over all the content that they've released in updated versions of the game to the Switch version.
Given how bad support was for the other console versions, probably not. Buy Outlast instead.

EDIT: Never mind.
http://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/02/22/payday-2-nintendo-switch-delay-in-content/

Last edited:

GaemzDood

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...e_back_after_losing_final_fantasy_vii_to_sony
This goes to show how much has changed between Yamauchi and now. Yamauchi's philosophy was that their consoles were for their games and anything else was dressing, whereas Nintendo now is liberalizing their console market. They still have ways to go, mainly with hardware, but in terms of everything else from marketing and actively assisting developers, they're stepping in the right direction.

If I have to get political for a second, it almost reminds me of when the communist Asian countries like China and Vietnam went capitalist or the Eastern Bloc after the fall of the USSR. Before, you essentially had to ration good games in the way they rationed food, there was sort of a personality cult going on, and censorship was rampant (although Nintendo eliminated it in the GCN era).

theMightyME

way too pricey, the 128gb cards are in the sweet spot, if you need more, get 2 128gb cards, or a 200gb card which is close to the sweet spot

never go beyond the sweet spot lol better to clean your fridge than that... the 1TB non micro sdxc cards came out late last year, when the 1tb micros come out the prices should shift with the 256 in the sweet spot

Shoulder

way too pricey, the 128gb cards are in the sweet spot, if you need more, get 2 128gb cards, or a 200gb card which is close to the sweet spot

never go beyond the sweet spot lol better to clean your fridge than that... the 1TB non micro sdxc cards came out late last year, when the 1tb micros come out the prices should shift with the 256 in the sweet spot
I wasn't suggesting folks actually get this. I simply found it was interesting one exists, and that it's actually relatively attainable.