Nintendo Switch - Official Thread

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
I wasn't suggesting folks actually get this. I simply found it was interesting one exists, and that it's actually relatively attainable.
I know, but still, never buy out of the sweet spot, the sweet spot being the point in which the capacity and price align between different capacities

Last edited:

GaemzDood

Side Note: What is it with sub-par Switch ports and frame pacing + frame skipping issues? Games not having frame skipping should have died after the PS2 era.

GaemzDood

If they can lock the framerate down in both modes while aiming for a native resolution (presumably dynamic), I'll be impressed. For reference, this is how it ran on PS3 and 360. It struggled to run at 60 FPS consistently anywhere besides small dungeons/skirmishes despite cutting the FOV and switching to Forward rendering.

Also, having all of the latest content matters as well. Payday 2 showed how badly being behind can screw a game's chances at being a success.

GaemzDood

Back on my shit: Portable AAA spin-offs specifically tailored to the Switch would actually work well. Think about it: Ace Combat X3, Grand Theft Auto: Los Santos Stories (or something in that vein for the Red Dead series), an Assassin's Creed Egypt spin-off, a Final Fantasy Type-0 sequel, Persona Q2, etc. These would be system selling exclusives from 3rd parties, aimed at an older audience as well.

Koenig

The Architect
My question to you then, is how do you think Nintendo could get 3rd parties to make the investment for these kinds of games? Or at least, how would you go about it?

GaemzDood

My question to you then, is how do you think Nintendo could get 3rd parties to make the investment for these kinds of games? Or at least, how would you go about it?
Honestly, it probably won't since they lost a lot of money last time they tried it [with the PSP].

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

yall remember when Ubisoft delayed Rayman Legends so that it could be released on other consoles first?

Its high time the same thing happens for Switch games. Okami HD? what the fuck was that line about it being in development years before they knew about Switch, and then dropping like 4 months later? Fuck off, Capcom (btw, it sounds like it will be digital only so what the fuck)
Same with Fractured But Whole. Total snub and non-answer from Ubisoft, I think the line there was that Switch couldnt handle it????? fuck. off.
Crash N. Sane Trilogy? come. the fuck. on.
A lot of publishers are worried that saying it would release eventually on Switch would cannibalize the sales of the game upon initial release on other consoles. So what? Then delay your fucking game if its that huge a deal, if the demand is that huge, you fucking idiot.

In other news, Undertale releasing on Switch is bigger news than people think. Gamemaker Studio is also supporting Switch now, and that opens the doors to TONS more indie developers, a shitload of japanese ones too.

Koenig

The Architect
It seems most publishers are still chicken about the switch, and those who are not are still in the middle of their turn around time to jump on the band wagon.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Undertale is also just a damn good game on its own. It's a game that understands the medium and plays with the player's expectations of how games are supposed to function. Also the music is great, and I know @CitizenOfVerona will back me up on this.

theMightyME

Alright, dumb question here: What exactly is the appeal of Undertale? Why is it considered such a good video game? Also, what in the hell is it even about?
it is a game that fills a niche, it is heavily inspired by earthbound/mother and since we don't get those games anymore, and never got the 3rd entry, it has become an immensely popular alternative

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
it is a game that fills a niche, it is heavily inspired by earthbound/mother and since we don't get those games anymore, and never got the 3rd entry, it has become an immensely popular alternative
It's not just that. You should play it. The reason it got so popular is because it's very cleverly designed. It constantly subverts your expectations of what a 2D RPG or a videogame in general is supposed to be like, starting from the fact that there are no random monsters that you kill for XP only, rather every monster is unique, has dialogue and a role in the story, and there are consequences for how you deal with them.

For example, the tutorial is an overbearing fluffy dog-like mom type that literally guides you by the hand through a corridor with no obstacles or traps. There's also the training dummy that you're supposed to just be able to practice battle with but is actually NPC that gets mad when you punch it. The game is filled with all sorts of little details meant to subvert your expectations. It's sort of like Airplane! or Police Squad but for videogames, and it actually embraces its "epic and emotional" RPG side once in a while.

Yeah music in Undertale is legit top tier.

Alright, dumb question here: What exactly is the appeal of Undertale? Why is it considered such a good video game? Also, what in the hell is it even about?
Honestly, that's a hard question to answer. I think the answer will change depending on whose doing the answering. I think a lot of people will say the characters, tone and subject matter, while others will say the unique battle system and world/dialog.

Personally, I loved the first...half(?) of the game. I thought the battle system/mercy system was cool as shit, music (as we previously discussed) is top tier and some characters legit made me laugh out loud. Then a certain character gets introduced who I personally disliked, followed by the climax/final boss battle/ending which a lot of people will say was powerful and emotional and all those buzzwords, but I found myself rolling my eyes a bit and saying "yeah, okay". It fell a bit flat for me.

I'd say it's worth playing through at least once though, I'm even thinking of another playthrough, just to see if I can finally "get it", but it's not the second coming of Indie Gaming Christ like it was hyped up to be at the time of release, nor does it deserved to be gifted to the Pope (seriously that happened and it makes me cringe hard).

So yeah, either pick it up for Switch when it comes out, or you can just get it for Steam or PS4 since I know you got access to them.

Koenig

The Architect
I kinda wonder if they are reworking any of the graphics in Undertale for the switch? At least that was what was implied by the text they had going on. Granted, it is Undertale so subversion is kinda the norm.

Odo

It's not just that. You should play it. The reason it got so popular is because it's very cleverly designed. It constantly subverts your expectations of what a 2D RPG or a videogame in general is supposed to be like, starting from the fact that there are no random monsters that you kill for XP only, rather every monster is unique, has dialogue and a role in the story, and there are consequences for how you deal with them.

For example, the tutorial is an overbearing fluffy dog-like mom type that literally guides you by the hand through a corridor with no obstacles or traps. There's also the training dummy that you're supposed to just be able to practice battle with but is actually NPC that gets mad when you punch it. The game is filled with all sorts of little details meant to subvert your expectations. It's sort of like Airplane! or Police Squad but for videogames, and it actually embraces its "epic and emotional" RPG side once in a while.

Yeah music in Undertale is legit top tier.

Honestly, that's a hard question to answer. I think the answer will change depending on whose doing the answering. I think a lot of people will say the characters, tone and subject matter, while others will say the unique battle system and world/dialog.

Personally, I loved the first...half(?) of the game. I thought the battle system/mercy system was cool as shit, music (as we previously discussed) is top tier and some characters legit made me laugh out loud. Then a certain character gets introduced who I personally disliked, followed by the climax/final boss battle/ending which a lot of people will say was powerful and emotional and all those buzzwords, but I found myself rolling my eyes a bit and saying "yeah, okay". It fell a bit flat for me.

I'd say it's worth playing through at least once though, I'm even thinking of another playthrough, just to see if I can finally "get it", but it's not the second coming of Indie Gaming Christ like it was hyped up to be at the time of release, nor does it deserved to be gifted to the Pope (seriously that happened and it makes me cringe hard).

So yeah, either pick it up for Switch when it comes out, or you can just get it for Steam or PS4 since I know you got access to them.
I still don't get it.

Is it like COD or like Dark Souls?

I don't accept anything in between.

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
So I finally bought an NS! eBay has a 20% off coupon right now so I managed to pick up it up for $231.99.

What games are must haves? I own SMO already as well as the Wii U versions of all the ports. Splatoon 2 is what interests me the most so far (even though I'll only be able to play online until September).

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
So I finally bought an NS! eBay has a 20% off coupon right now so I managed to pick up it up for $231.99.

What games are must haves? I own SMO already as well as the Wii U versions of all the ports. Splatoon 2 is what interests me the most so far (even though I'll only be able to play online until September).
If you haven't played Breath of the Wild, that's a must. Everything else is second.

I would recommend Rocket League and Splatoon 2.

If you don't feel like dipping into the ports again, Splatoon 2 is a definite grab. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a game I've sunk the most time into on Switch, I adore it a lot but it's not for everyone. MHXX is second, but it's Japan only so you have to import and work through the Japanese.
Puyo Puyo Tetris and Stardew Valley are really fun too.
Rest of my recommends would be Wii U ports. I own a lot more games but idk if I can recommend them outright. Jackbox Party Pack is great if you have people over a lot for parties. Disgaea 5 is a really corny but system heavy srpg that is kinda tough to get into and understand. Thumper is a very unique rhythm game.

Oh. Download the Octopath Traveler demo, beefier than you'd expect and very nice.

GaemzDood

yall remember when Ubisoft delayed Rayman Legends so that it could be released on other consoles first?

Its high time the same thing happens for Switch games. Okami HD? what the fuck was that line about it being in development years before they knew about Switch, and then dropping like 4 months later? Fuck off, Capcom (btw, it sounds like it will be digital only so what the fuck)
Same with Fractured But Whole. Total snub and non-answer from Ubisoft, I think the line there was that Switch couldnt handle it????? fuck. off.
Crash N. Sane Trilogy? come. the fuck. on.
A lot of publishers are worried that saying it would release eventually on Switch would cannibalize the sales of the game upon initial release on other consoles. So what? Then delay your fucking game if its that huge a deal, if the demand is that huge, you fucking idiot.

In other news, Undertale releasing on Switch is bigger news than people think. Gamemaker Studio is also supporting Switch now, and that opens the doors to TONS more indie developers, a shitload of japanese ones too.
>Be Capcom
>Be one of Nintendo's best 3rd party partners; consistently release some of the best games on their consoles (Sweet Home and Mega Man games on NES, Zelda Game Boy games, Resident Evil games on N64, GCN, 3DS, and Wii, Killer7, Viewtiful Joe, etc.)
>Support fledgling systems like the GameCube and otherwise successful entry level systems like the Wii/DS/3DS with games that do not sell well on them [T/M rated titles] due to audience restrictions [kids].
>Nintendo starts to turn around, reaches out to 3rd party developers, actively promotes 3rd party games, releases cheap dev kits, encourages developers, basically reforms and modernizes the company.
>Be skeptical due to losing lots of money over the years due to spending on AAA projects for Nintendo systems.
>Nintendo actually seems to want to change, listens to Capcom when they ask for more RAM, and AAA games like Skyrim are selling well.
>Still be skeptical.
>Months go by, Switch is selling like heroin, AAA games are doing well.
>Still be skeptical.
>Nintendo fans and average joes with Switches are pissed at Capcom and are demanding games in huge numbers.
>Release a Resident Evil Revelations collection with a sub-par framerate and insanely low FOV, an overpriced ""definitive"" port of a decades old game, and a digital only port of a game that had a retail release on other consoles.
>People still buy and pre-order, just to show support.
>Still be skeptical.
>Be this literally retarded.
>tfw

GaemzDood

Bayonetta 2 runs a lot better on Switch, as in a night and day difference. The Wii U version almost never attains 60 FPS consistently in any scene and also has input lag, whereas the Switch runs at 60 FPS with dips being the exception and not the norm. However, it still looks the same and runs at 720p (makes me wonder why it even dips at all), which might be why it didn't sell as well as I had hoped. I was really hoping they'd do a Fast RMX or Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection style remaster in order to better sell the series to Switch owners who want to show off what the system can do, but....it's the exact same. However, the games themselves are amazing and don't run like shit like they did on Wii U so I can't complain.

Fast RMX is by far the definitive Wii U to Switch port. They completely reworked the renderer and it stacks up with the likes of Redout (in addition to running better...on inferior hardware) if I'm being honest.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.

Welcome aboard, dude. :mhug:

If you already have BotW on Wii U, and bought Odyssey, you've gotten the big guns out of the way. I'd say go for Splatoon 2 and ARMS since they'll give you a ton of replay for years...but if you're not going for the $20 online subscription coming up, then the shelf life is pretty short for you.

That leaves single-player games. You've played DOOM, right? If you like JRPGs and magical girl anime, then XBC2 will be your jam. If you haven't bought the Zelda DLC on Wii U, then rebuying on Switch and playing on hard, then hitting the DLC, is probably the most robust thing you could have on the system.

I'm as salty as anyone to pay for online, but if you subtract that, it takes a lot of content off of Switch for you. (Who would ever think we'd say that about a Nintendo console?)

theMightyME

Allot of the games are on other systems, so it depends on what you have already but as others have said the absolute must buy, if you haven't already played it on Wii U is Breath of the Wild

After that

Mario Oddysey is a must
Splatoon 2 is too, it is mostly online multiplayer, but it had a deep single player mode too, as well as some dlc singleplayer that was just announced

If you like overly complicated and convoluted jrpgs, then Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a big one.

If you have a girlfriend or kid brother or whatever and you want a simple cooperative multiplayer puzzle game, try Snipperclips

Those are the main ones I would recommend... Oh, and the Octopath Traveler demo... It is just a demo, and the full game isn't out yet, but still

theMightyME

If you already have BotW on Wii U, and bought Odyssey, you've gotten the big guns out of the way. I'd say go for Splatoon 2 and ARMS since they'll give you a ton of replay for years...but if you're not going for the $20 online subscription coming up, then the shelf life is pretty short for you.

That leaves single-player games. You've played DOOM, right? If you like JRPGs and magical girl anime, then XBC2 will be your jam. If you haven't bought the Zelda DLC on Wii U, then rebuying on Switch and playing on hard, then hitting the DLC, is probably the most robust thing you could have on the system.

I'm as salty as anyone to pay for online, but if you subtract that, it takes a lot of content off of Switch for you. (Who would ever think we'd say that about a Nintendo console?)
Why kill games like Splatoon 2 over $20 a year, that is like fast-food money nowadays... Like a meal for 2 at Carl's fucking Jr... And it covers a full year

If you take some moral stand against that gaming is going to suck for you, and not just on switch

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
Thanks for all the suggestions!

I ended up picking up Splatoon 2, I absolutely love the series and I figure half a year of online play as well as the offline mode is worth the $44 I paid for it. It's really disappointing the singleplayer DLC isn't free though, the base game is going to be pretty bare bones come September.

And yeah lol. I enjoy a good online game now and then so its a crying shame that's the case now.
If you take some moral stand against that gaming is going to suck for you, and not just on switch
Not really, PC gaming is still a bastion of light.

theMightyME

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I ended up picking up Splatoon 2, I absolutely love the series and I figure half a year of online play as well as the offline mode is worth the $44 I paid for it. It's really disappointing the singleplayer DLC isn't free though, the base game is going to be pretty bare bones come September.

And yeah lol. I enjoy a good online game now and then so its a crying shame that's the case now.

Not really, PC gaming is still a bastion of light.
pc gaming as a whole might, but pay attention to stuff like uplay and origin, and in the not so distant future bigger game publishers might have you subscribing to multiple online services... steam is big enough that they could do it now and people would pay.. so it might not be gated yet, but if you look closely you can see that the pc publishers are buying up chain-link in bulk, and it is only a matter of time

edit:
and again.. it is $20 a year... and they are the ONLY console maker not already doing it right now, so it is hard to take a stand against them on it, they are literally the last to succumb

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
pc gaming as a whole might, but pay attention to stuff like uplay and origin, and in the not so distant future bigger game publishers might have you subscribing to multiple online services... steam is big enough that they could do it now and people would pay.. so it might not be gated yet, but if you look closely you can see that the pc publishers are buying up chain-link in bulk, and it is only a matter of time

edit:
and again.. it is $20 a year... and they are the ONLY console maker not already doing it right now, so it is hard to take a stand against them on it, they are literally the last to succumb
I could see EA trying something along those lines, but I can't see PC gamers falling for it. There's a reason we call ourselves the master race *trollface* Though seriously, the beauty of PC gaming is that it isn't a walled garden. There are a lot of different platforms in competition with one another. If PC gamers some how end up being so stupid they succumb to that nonsense in spite of the fact we have the power of choice I'm quitting modern gaming.

Price isn't the issue, nor is the the state of the console industry. Greed is greed regardless. Worst part is as consumers we have the power to change these anti-consumer practices with ease, but the console industry has conditioned us for so long that the majority just view it as a fact of gaming, a unfortunate one for most people, but with no real competition an unavoidable fact. Thus it remains an unavoidable fact. I've seen Sony fans fall for it and now the exact same is happening to Nintendo fans.

theMightyME

I just find the whole thing ridiculous, games cost way now to make then they used to, online games have maintenance and balancing costs that adds to that, based on what we used to pay for games they should cost way way way more than they do now... This is all business, and I don't see it as greedy, especially when you see the hellish life of developers... Just pay your fair share, $20 a year is not greedy considering the amount of time and resources continuously being devoted to games like Splatoon... Times change... Deal with it... Things change for the developers and publishers too

Competition is fierce, costs are way up they are still competitive, this isn't like the cable companies where they purposely hinder progress and infrastructure improvements while overcharging, this is all fair

I HOPE PC gaming gets paywalled so the PC gamers can pay their fair share like everyone else, and drop their egos, I wonder how many will sick to their guns and stop gaming. I say this as somebody who PC games as well...I am PC/Switch

GaemzDood

I did some thinking while I was cooking: The Switch's successor should be a generational leap over the current Switch and yes, the other consoles (including PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, esp. in regards to CPU), but it should also function as a mid-gen refresh in terms of flexibility in regards to backwards compatibility support.

Right now, the Xbox One X, when playing unenhanced Xbox One titles, offers up closer locks to target framerates or resolutions if the game uses dynamic scaling (i.e. Halo 5, a game that runs between 1152x810 and 1080p on standard XO is locked at 1080 without the patch on XOX), forces triple buffer v-sync, and forces 16x anisotropic filtering. The next gen Switch should have this kind of high quality backwards compatibility for the sake of game preservation, because unlike Nintendo's previous consoles, which had Soviet Union style droughts of, well, anything high quality, the Switch has an ever emerging library of games, and not preserving them would be a mistake. In addition to that, games should be able to simply be patched for free without rereleasing the title for cash, something that's impossible with say, Wii U to Switch titles or PS3 to PS4 titles due to the vastly different architecture. But if Nintendo is really doing this 20 year deal with Nvidia, and they probably will due to the profit they've made from it, they should use this as a chance to implement game preservation that actually enhances old titles (Wii virtual console games have noticeable input lag, and Wii U BC does nothing to improve old games) as well as offering up developers the potential to enhance their titles for free.

Because I'm just saying, being able to play DOOM on the go at 1080p60 and docked at 4k60 with high settings as opposed to 5xxp/720p at lower than low settings would be freaking sweet.

Odo

My wishlist is:

Splatoon 2
XC2
Fire Emblem: Warriors
Super Mario Odyssey
Kirby Star Allies
Octopath Traveler
SMT5

As soon as this list hits 10, I'll start looking for a NSW deal.

edit: SMS, is in fact, SMO, Super Mario Odyssey
edit2: adding SMS5
edit3: it's SMT5, lol.

Last edited:

theMightyME

My wishlist is:

Splatoon 2
XC2
Fire Emblem: Warriors
SMS
Kirby Star Allies
Octopath Traveler

As soon as this list hits 10, I'll start looking for a NSW deal.
what is SMS?

guessing you didn't include botw because you have it on wii u but why no Odyssey?

Also I might consider the new Yoshi over the new Kirby

some others you should consider based on your list

Mario x Rabbids Kingdom Battle (not my cup of tea, but people here seem to adore it)
Shin Megami Tensei 5
Travis Strikes Back: No More Heroes
Bayonetta 3
Dragon: Marked for Death ( a smaller game, but still)
Metroid Prime 4

all switch exclusives

Odo

what is SMS?

guessing you didn't include botw because you have it on wii u but why no Odyssey?

Also I might consider the new Yoshi over the new Kirby

some others you should consider based on your list

Mario x Rabbids Kingdom Battle (not my cup of tea, but people here seem to adore it)
Shin Megami Tensei 5
Travis Strikes Back: No More Heroes
Bayonetta 3
Dragon: Marked for Death ( a smaller game, but still)
Metroid Prime 4

all switch exclusives
I was thinking about Odyssey, but the word Sunshine came to my mind, I don't know why, so I put Super Mario Sunshine, lol. I'm not sleeping very well lol. It's Super Mario Odyssey.

Yes, BOTW is on Wii U.

Thank you for SMS5, I totally forgot that. Yes, I'm adding to my wishlist.

No More Heroes, I'm considering it, but I don't know. After watching the last video again, I'm not sure about the game any more.

Bayonetta is a great franchise, I can tell, but It's not my cup of tea. I'm rubbish at those kind of fighting games.

I'm no Metroid fan. I only played the trilogy, because Nintendo released that remarkable deluxe trilogy for Wii, but I haven't finished 2 and 3 and I never will. Once I have the Switch, I may think about it down the road.

Dragon: Marked for Death, never heard of, I'll take a look.

Soon I'll be adding two future games that I know is coming: Pokemon and Fire Emblem.

theMightyME

I was thinking about Odyssey, but the word Sunshine came to my mind, I don't know why, so I put Super Mario Sunshine, lol. I'm not sleeping very well lol. It's Super Mario Odyssey.

Yes, BOTW is on Wii U.

Thank you for SMS5, I totally forgot that. Yes, I'm adding to my wishlist.

No More Heroes, I'm considering it, but I don't know. After watching the last video again, I'm not sure about the game any more.

Bayonetta is a great franchise, I can tell, but It's not my cup of tea. I'm rubbish at those kind of fighting games.

I'm no Metroid fan. I only played the trilogy, because Nintendo released that remarkable deluxe trilogy for Wii, but I haven't finished 2 and 3 and I never will. Once I have the Switch, I may think about it down the road.

Dragon: Marked for Death, never heard of, I'll take a look.

Soon I'll be adding two future games that I know is coming: Pokemon and Fire Emblem.
smt5 not sms5 lol

you really have sunshine on the brain
shin megami sunshine has a ring to it though lol

as for nmh, the game itself didn't apeal to me too much, until they showed the boss artwork.. that will make or break the game.. the bosses, because theyw ere the ebst aprt of the old nmh games... not just the fights and the designs, but the story segments that introduce them too

what about smash?

theMightyME

Fair warning at Odo, I do not think you will enjoy XC2 nearly as much as the first two. I hope I am wrong though
I enjoyed it more than the second game, but it is the most flawed of the 3, you can tell it was rushed in many areas, a lot of the refinements that made xc1 so good seem to be missing for some reason, or new stresses have been added in that cause new issues that should be refined... but there are thigns about xc2 that are done very well... the characters emote much better with better art and animation, nto sayign the character designs are better, just that character faces have always been a huge issue, and that was kind of taken care of here... I also think the switching between blades and using mapped buttons instead of a bar of attacks is a HUGE improvement on the battle system... I also prefer the leveling system I don't have to grind characters I don't like using... though the character equipping is a huge downgrade as is the item system in general

the biggest problem imo is the map system, and navigation bar, it just gets in the f'n way msot of the time

also, does anybody else have frequent detail load ins?.... like when you go to an area it is just flat polygons, then it does like 4 or so passes before it looks normal

I enjoyed it more than the second game, but it is the most flawed of the 3, you can tell it was rushed in many areas, a lot of the refinements that made xc1 so good seem to be missing for some reason, or new stresses have been added in that cause new issues that should be refined... but there are thigns about xc2 that are done very well... the characters emote much better with better art and animation, nto sayign the character designs are better, just that character faces have always been a huge issue, and that was kind of taken care of here... I also think the switching between blades and using mapped buttons instead of a bar of attacks is a HUGE improvement on the battle system... I also prefer the leveling system I don't have to grind characters I don't like using... though the character equipping is a huge downgrade as is the item system in general

the biggest problem imo is the map system, and navigation bar, it just gets in the f'n way msot of the time

also, does anybody else have frequent detail load ins?.... like when you go to an area it is just flat polygons, then it does like 4 or so passes before it looks normal
Every has those, it's why screenshots are disabled whenever you load into an area

Koenig

The Architect
Very much so, especially when I fast travel. Sometimes the entire area is completely devoid of textures. I tried taking it a snapshot of it a couple of times, but Monolith beat to the punch and disable the screenshot tool during bad loading sections (Not joking).

Odo

smt5 not sms5 lol

you really have sunshine on the brain
shin megami sunshine has a ring to it though lol

as for nmh, the game itself didn't apeal to me too much, until they showed the boss artwork.. that will make or break the game.. the bosses, because theyw ere the ebst aprt of the old nmh games... not just the fights and the designs, but the story segments that introduce them too

what about smash?
lol, something is wrong with me today.

I tried to enjoy Smash, really.. but I couldn't. There's so much excitement about it, but unfortunately I can't be part of it. I'm just too bad at fighting games. Smash is not like other fighting games, but I'm still too bad.

I'll still be thinking about nmh, but it seems to be so different now. I'm not sure yet.

Odo

Fair warning at Odo, I do not think you will enjoy XC2 nearly as much as the first two. I hope I am wrong though

I've never got excited about this game. For me, XC2 always looked generic and inferior to the others.

However, since I loved both the first and the second and since I can't say more without playing it, I'll suck it and see.

But yes, I'm quite sure I'll be disappointed.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Why kill games like Splatoon 2 over $20 a year, that is like fast-food money nowadays... Like a meal for 2 at Carl's fucking Jr... And it covers a full year

I was merely responding to Techno's post and his stated plan for future purchases. People will spend cash in whatever manner they deem fit.

Personally? I'll spend the $20, but that's basically a friend subscription. I'm paying because the friends I want to play games with are all gonna do it. Otherwise, on the economic merits (purely from the standpoint of paying to play online with randoms), I'd rather spend $20 for the burger.
I just find the whole thing ridiculous, games cost way now to make then they used to, online games have maintenance and balancing costs that adds to that, based on what we used to pay for games they should cost way way way more than they do now... This is all business, and I don't see it as greedy, especially when you see the hellish life of developers... Just pay your fair share, $20 a year is not greedy considering the amount of time and resources continuously being devoted to games like Splatoon... Times change... Deal with it... Things change for the developers and publishers too
I agree that the pricing model for games is quite out of date. A $50 game in 1993 is about $87 in today's money. But 25 years later, the sticker price is $60. I'd pay $85 or whatever for BotW, or even Splatoon 2.

I'd also be fine with paying Nintendo a subscription fee if the rumored VC service is a real thing (I'm skeptical of that, I concede).

I'm less fine with paying sticker price for a game, getting it home, and then not being able to play its main mode. Show of hands, how many of you would buy Splatoon for $60 if it was only a 6-hour single player game?

:crickets:

Well, that's what you'll be doing soon. And that main mode that requires an additional fee doesn't even get dedicated servers - it is using a prosaic rented server farm in which the "listen" server* offloads hosting duties to me. I just love paying to host, and also using my own phone for voice chat.
(*I get a kick out of folks who think "server maintenance" is usually more than migrating matchmaking duties to another rented server.)

I'm a fair sort, though. That server space isn't free (although if you're making an online centric game and haven't put any of your budget towards people playing it online, that's pretty effing dumb). But it's never going to sit well with me that anyone sells a principally-online game for full price, then doesn't include any time for actually playing it online. Give a 20-hour cap or something, at least.

I'm not asking for a a free ride. Just lick your palm before giving me a reach-around.

theMightyME

Just lick your palm before giving me a reach-around.
I always do

part of the point I was making though isn't just inflation but budget... a game made in 1993 has a microscopic budget compared to one made today, and that is AFTER adjusting for inflation

what you expressed is the exact issue I raised, you don't care about paying $85 for a game, but scoff at buying it for $60 and then paying $20 for a year of internet play for ALL of your multiplayer games on the system

to me it is like complaining about having to commit to a year of movie pass when you watch 10 movies a month... at that point you just have ethical issues with where it is being priced then the total sum of what you are buying and what price it comes out to.

to me it all comes down to a fear of change

it is like when my mom said she just wished she only ahd to pay $200 for a flagship phone like she used to... I told her "you do know that when you bought it for $200 you were paying $20 or so a month as part of your subsidization of the phone, right?" and she does... but she objected to payign it all up front... so I told her... "well you CAN finance the phone you know.. for like $20 a month, the exact amount you were paying in subsidy before" and she acknowledges there is no difference... but it still annoys her, because she got used to it in a different way... it FEELS more expensive to her while not actually being more expensive.