Nintendo Switch Sales Super Thread

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
switch will sell in bursts in japan

burst 1 was launch
burst 2 will be splatoon 2 (should be HUGE considering the success of the first in Japan, but also factoring in local multiplayer at cafes and such... the monster hunter effect)

another definite burst is dragon quest XI, and maybe fire emblem or shin megami tensei

after that we don't know yet.. but almost assuredly the switch will see Pokemon and Monster Hunter

in fact, I expect special console/joycon colors/designs for many of those, and they will sell like f'n crazy

I know it hasn't been announced, but there is no way that monster hunter is NOT coming to switch.. switch is the only new portable game in town... and that franchise sold WAY more on portables than console

the bigger question mark is Pokemon, which is strange since it is effectively a nintendo franchise... but the way pokemon company works is just strange... it took FOREVER for them to make the switch from gba to ds... like YEARS... and nitnendo hasn't yet committed to shuttering the 3ds (a big mistake, at the very least, if I was nintendo I would be making, and heavily encouraging others to make switch ports of every game still coming to 3ds... but it seems to be the other way around unfortunately... the main thing nintendo needs to do with the switch is make it clear that it is bother the future of their console and their handheld lines... as the switch has so much mindshare it is a safe time to do that, so hopefully we see movement in that direction soon... e3? tgs?)

Odo

Now Switch v 3DS in Japan - First month - March/2017

Week 1
Switch – 329,152 (New)
New 3DS LL – 18,433 (15,984)
2DS – 4,147 (4,303)
New 3DS – 1,268 (1,254)

Week 2
Switch – 61,998 (329,152)
New 3DS LL – 18,360 (18,433)
2DS – 4,094 (4,147)
New 3DS – 1,227 (1,268)

Week 3
Switch – 49,913 (61,998)
New 3DS LL – 33,352 (18,360)
2DS – 6,131 (4,094)
New 3DS – 2,796 (1,227)

Week 4
Switch – 78,441 (49,913)
New 3DS LL – 29,771 (33,352)
2DS – 6,722 (6,131)
New 3DS – 2,866 (2,796)

TOTAL Switch: 519,504
TOTAL 3DS Family: 129,167

I'm not adding Wii U, because I'm considering it dead.

As you can see, even if you remove the launch week, Switch still win, and Splatoon 2 is yet to be released. I believe we can be sure that 3DS will slow down until its death and Switch can sell even more than what it sold on the first month with the new releases and Nintendo working out the shipment issue.

The only contender to NSW in Japan is PS4 (Wii U is over and 3DS is leaving the building), but as I said before, in 2017, I bet NSW will easily beat Sony. NSW is the right device for Japan's market and I don't see any killer app for PS4 in Japan this year.

Odo

I don't want to get carried away with early sales. I personally do not think you can know if Switch will sell 20 million units lifetime or 100 million based off the first months sales. The Switch is currently limited by supply, but that will most likely start to diminish very soon. If 3 months from now, Switch is still hard to find, then perhaps the momentum is truly there, but right now, Wii U sold 3.5 million in two months. I'm not ready to make any definitive assessments on how well Switch will do long term yet.

Wii U was an abysmal failure by Nintendo. Not the product itself, but the messaging was so bad that more people understand what the Switch is than Wii U after 4.5 years on the market. I think its safe to say that Switch will quickly outsell the Wii U, but that's hardly a milestone. Can it outsell the SNES? The 3DS? The Wii? Those are milestones of note. If Switch has sold over 12 million units in its first year, then we can declare it a success, but the core Nintendo fans were always going to sell out the first couple million units. Patience my friends.
Indeed. My comparison with Wii U and 3DS is for fun purpose. It's interesting to see how it's going to be. Since Wii U fell really fast after its launch and 3DS had its price crisis, I reckon Switch will beat both of them in the next months.

Even though it's too early to say how much NSW will sell, at least in Japan, I'm expecting it to sell more than PS4 this year. In case it's true, I'm talking about NSW selling around 2.5m in Japan alone, based on past yearly numbers. Since 2017 is the launch year, maybe more.

Last edited:

theMightyME

I saw that some went on sale today through Wal-Mart and Amazon. Sold out.

This system is hype y'all. Judging from my students they want the system and can't get it yet due to it being sold out or it not being Christmas. Just wait until the holidays...
do you play it in front of them while casualty whistling?

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
I went in after work for unrelated reasons. They hadn't seen a new shipment in awhile.

So no. :(
I checked with my local GameStop this weekend. They said they haven't seen any shipments come in lately, not even small batches of three or four.

Checked Wal-Mart. They got one shipment of three consoles about two weeks ago, but that's it.

I said eff it and bought TMS#FE. I'll just catch up on my backlog.

[Nintendo's handling of Wii U makes a perverse sort of sense now. Had they massively cut its price and struggled to get its marketshare to GC-levels, it just would've created fewer Switch early adopters. More people would have either had Wii U's, or would have bought really cheap ones, in order to play BotW. Nintendo gambled that Zelda alone would be enough to sell a new and unproven console. They made the right call.]

theMightyME

I checked with my local GameStop this weekend. They said they haven't seen any shipments come in lately, not even small batches of three or four.

Checked Wal-Mart. They got one shipment of three consoles about two weeks ago, but that's it.

I said eff it and bought TMS#FE. I'll just catch up on my backlog.

[Nintendo's handling of Wii U makes a perverse sort of sense now. Had they massively cut its price and struggled to get its marketshare to GC-levels, it just would've created fewer Switch early adopters. More people would have either had Wii U's, or would have bought really cheap ones, in order to play BotW. Nintendo gambled that Zelda alone would be enough to sell a new and unproven console. They made the right call.]
yeah nintendo got smart in the way they reacted to wii u failing... on multiple levels, ther eis also the udnerstanding thatd ropping the price would not have drastically increased sales as the perception of the device was already toxic... so why not just leave it full price and bank as much as they can from those who DO buy it... they also started porting a ton of wii u games to 3ds in roder to hit another market with them, whuich likely offset development costs a decent amount... it also let them keep the wii u moving (slowly) until the switch was ready... otherwise they would have abandoned it way sooner.

and then when the switch came about... they got masterful... a super smart reveal trailer, an often criticized but effective if you think about it full reveal... lineup manipulation, gaming focus without being blind to other options cheap indy procurement, and finnaly nailing the promise of the wii as a system for both hardcore gamers AND casuals ratehr than abandoning 1 for the other...

I like it when nintendo gets smart.. the problem is that once they get some smart success they get arrogant and f' up again.

Goodtwin

I don't think it wise to let ourselves get fooled into thinking Switch is going to be another monster based on a months worth of sales. Switch was always going to sell upwards of 3 million units quickly. Nintendo has a pretty solid foundation of hardcore Nintendo fans, and with 3DS getting long in the tooth, garnering a few million in sales quickly was never in question. I think it wise to pay attention to just how quickly Switch become readily available at retails stores. I'm not going to lie, I was shocked to see my local supermarket have 5 Nintendo Switches sitting there ready to be purchased. I didn't think I would see that for at least another couple months. If I go back in a couple days and they are empty again, good sign, but if they still have some units there, that's a sign that supply is already starting to meet demand.

With that said, I could see a scenario where supply starts surpass demand, and then a game like Mario Kart 8 drops and suddenly supply is limited again. This could be a cycle all year. One thing is certain, Christmas is a lock for a few million units sold. I have a feeling next year Nintendo is going to face a decline in demand that only a price drop to $199 can rectify. $199 is the mass market price. For a product like Switch, that's where I think it finds its marathon legs. $299 is a bit steep for many, and outside of Christmas its just out of the question for most parents. Even with 3DS, we have seen the XL models outsell the cheaper models, so I feel like south of $199 isn't really all that beneficial.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
I don't think it wise to let ourselves get fooled into thinking Switch is going to be another monster based on a months worth of sales.
Oh, absolutely. I'm not trying to be Pollyanna-ish on Nintendo (I'll believe Switch is a monster when it has monstrous numbers, not just good launch numbers). I simply think they ended up probably making the right move on Wii U. They had since E3 2011 to get the message across on Wii U and never did. They got the message across on Switch in a three-and-a-half-minute-long trailer. Even if Switch isn't a monster, it's on stronger footing than the Wii U ever was, and thus has a better chance for a higher ceiling.

Goodtwin

My early feelings tell me SNES like numbers, and maybe 3DS best case scenario. The talk of Wii like numbers is fairytale shit in my opinion. 50-70 million is no joke, and with today's competition, I don't think anyone should snub those figures. Mobile gaming on smart devices has shrunk the market for Nintendo, like it or not.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Koenig

The Architect
My early feelings tell me SNES like numbers, and maybe 3DS best case scenario. The talk of Wii like numbers is fairytale shit in my opinion. 50-70 million is no joke, and with today's competition, I don't think anyone should snub those figures. Mobile gaming on smart devices has shrunk the market for Nintendo, like it or not.

Sent from my SM-G360V using genital warts
It all depends on whether or not Nintendo discontinues the 3DS and/or creates a successor to it. If the Switch really is meant to pull the handheld and console market together I could see it matching the Wii provided it can secure enough first and third party support to carry it over the long haul.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Very interested to see the overall sales for the first month.
NA and Japan alone is under 2 million, maybe the rest of the Americas and Europe bumps that up to past it. Which would make their expectations right on the money. I remember feeling that those numbers were conservative, so considering they are doubling production, it might have shot past that by a decent amount.

They have a Fiscal Year Earnings Release on April 27th, dont know if the answers lie there.

That attach rate of Zelda is fucking hilarious.

This news is a bit refreshing. There are people out there calling the Switch a failure already and I'm not sure why, the math isnt in their favor. Very much annoyed me since it came from people who I otherwise see as rational, patient, peers.
Nintendo wont be able to win them all.

Odo

Data research firm SuperData have been hard at work tallying up Nintendo Switch sales. The company says Nintendo has sold an estimated 2.4 million Nintendo Switch units during the system’s first month on sale worldwide. Because of this SuperData now believes that Nintendo will sell 7.2 million Nintendo Switch consoles in 2017.​

https://mynintendonews.com/2017/04/...sold-2-4-million-switch-units-in-first-month/

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
Media Create Sales Numbers (April 10-16)

-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+-------------+
|System | This Week | Last Week | Last Year | YTD | Last YTD | LTD |
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+-------------+
| NSW | 45.673 | 41.193 | 651.879 | | 651.879 |
| 3DS # | 23.824 | 25.685 | 19.657 | 482.541 | 464.021 | 22.643.286 |
| PS4 # | 21.922 | 24.512 | 20.257 | 559.223 | 426.826 | 4.659.890 |
| PSV # | 5.592 | 5.987 | 12.337 | 160.230 | 322.017 | 5.603.297 |
| PS3 | 432 | 704 | 1.220 | 14.275 | 24.673 | 10.464.043 |
| WIU | 271 | 358 | 6.091 | 10.948 | 121.542 | 3.324.158 |
| XB1 # | 142 | 132 | 142 | 2.264 | 2.419 | 77.848 |
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+-------------+
| ALL | 97.856 | 98.571 | 59.704 | 1.881.360 | 1.361.498 | 47.424.401 |

HARDWARE CHART
Switch - 45,673
3DS - 23,824
PS4 - 21,922
PSV - 5,592
PS3 - 432
WiiU - 271
XB1 - 142

SOFTWARE CHART
  1. [3DS] Monster Hunter XX – 43,941 / 1,366,093
  2. [NSW] Zelda: Breath of the Wild – 20,888 / 375,291
  3. [3DS] Mario Sports Superstars – 10,698 / 61,879
  4. [NSW] 1-2-Switch – 10,048 / 176,368
  5. [PS4] NieR: Automata – 6,265 / 300,959
  6. [PS4] Ghost Recon Wildlands – 6,022 / 159,430
  7. [PS4] LEGO Worlds – 5,157 / 16,735
  8. [PS4] Horizon Zero Dawn – 4,983 / 201,643
  9. [3DS] Pokemon Sun/Moon – 4,773 / 3,241,599
  10. [WIU] Zelda: Breath of the Wild – 4,740 / 100,546
  11. [3DS] Super Mario Maker for 3DS – 4,325 / 1,019,434
  12. [PS4] Kingdom Hearts HD I.5 + II.5 Remix – 3,556 / 102,281
  13. [NSW] Super Bomberman R – 3,508 / 70,124
  14. [PS4] Winning Eleven 2017 (Konami the Best) – 3,381 / NEW
  15. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V (4,990 Yen Edition) – 3,328 / 321,342
  16. [PS4] Warriors All-Stars – 3,117 / 52,062
  17. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf – Welcome amiibo – 3,035 / 162,184
  18. [PSV] RepKiss – 2,918 / NEW
  19. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 3: Sukiyaki – 2,802 / 704,683
  20. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Editon – 2,678 / 1,140,680
In comparison, Sales of each console 7 weeks in from launch.
The Switch sold 45,673.
The 3DS sold 32,910.
The WiiU sold 16,654.
The PS4 sold 13,401.
The Vita sold 18,942.

(Apologies on formatting. I failed at that chart.)

Goodtwin

Sales seem to be holding steady. I expect MK8 to give Switch a boost to help maintain demand through next month, and Splatoon 2 will be another shot in the arm in July. I think Switch will hit the million sold in Japan by the end of June, much faster than the PS4 did. Japan favors portables, and Switch is destined to do well in the homeland.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
Some charts:

Thinking about replacing the PS4 with the PSP. The PS4 was actually pretty boring in its first year selling worse than the Wii U, but currently the PSP is neck in neck with the NS when you align launches having sold 66,543 in the seventh week (675,449 LTD).

Goodtwin

Switch is still supply limited, and with t the release of MK8 Deluxe, that will only further exasperate the situation. I fully expect Switch to see a bump up to 80-100k in Japan for the launch week of MK8 in Japan. Things seem to be going nearly as well here in the US, with Switch supply being pretty limited. My local supermarket that did have some units are once again out of stock, and have been for a while now. Nintendo has paid close attention to PS4's marketing campaign, and its working. I am starting to become confident that Switch can outsell the Wii U within its first year. As impressive as selling 14 million units in a year sounds, when you do the math, its not really extraordinary compared to other very successful consoles. Assuming a typical 5 year cycle, that's 70 million units lifetime, about the same as 3DS. I still feel that is realistic for the Switch. Xbox One is on track to sell about 50 million units in that time frame, so I don't think 70 million is anything to shrug off. I feel like Switch and PS4 will own the gaming market for the next few years. They have different qualities that appeal to consumers in different ways, and we will see a lot of consumers who own both. Not many people will justify owning an Xbox One and PS4, but a Switch and a PS4 or even an Xbox One makes a lot more sense.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
wait... you still have to do the claw, even on a dual analog set-up?

okay, my slight interest in getting into monster hunter is quickly evaporating
Not necessarily, but for me, Monster Hunter is the kind of game where I want to have full control of the camera (right stick) at the same time as I look for my potions (holding L and tapping Y or A) and try to dodge a wyvern's fire breath (B, or R+B), so doing the claw helps me keep more control of my actions while I move the camera. Most of the time, though, I just tap ZL to swing the camera toward the monster (not a permanent lock-on).

I also do the claw in Breath of the Wild, by the way. That's just how I play games that give me full camera control these days.

Odo

Monster Hunter 5...Will we finally be granted another Monster Hunter that can be played on the television as God intended?
Capcom has just confirmed that, since Nintendo's released a new promising system today, they're cancelling the Switch version and getting started the 2DS XL title instead.

Odo

Let's talk about the last Nintendo results

I was eager to see it and finally I had time to take a look.

When I saw the 920m profit I couldn't believe my eyes. This is sort of 10x more than last year's result. However there's some misunderstanding out there. Nintendo took some decisions last year, released new products like Pokemon Go and got rid of some huge assets and that's how that magical result number has showed.

My conclusion is that Nintendo might be doing well now, but 2016 wasn't that good year yet.

First let me share the numbers for the last 10 years:

Nintendo profit numbers since 2007

March 31, 2007 US$1477m (exchange rate March 31, 2007) Wii, DS

March 31, 2008 US$2573m (exchange rate March 31, 2008) Wii, DS

March 31, 2009 US$2847m (exchange rate March 31, 2009) Wii, DS

March 31, 2010 US$2458m (exchange rate March 31, 2010) Wii, DS

March 31, 2011 US$935m (exchange rate March 31, 2011) Wii, DS

March 31, 2012 -US$526m (exchange rate March 31, 2012) Wii, 3DS

March 31, 2013 US$75m (exchange rate March 31, 2013) Wii U, 3DS

March 31, 2014 -US$225m (exchange rate March 31, 2014) Wii U, 3DS

March 31, 2015 US$348m (exchange rate March 31, 2015) Wii U, 3DS

March 31, 2016 US$146m (exchange rate March 31, 2016) Wii U, 3DS

March 31, 2017 US$920m* (exchange rate April 28, 2017) Wii U, 3DS (*) Including extraordinary gains.

March 31, 2017 US$263m* (exchange rate April 28, 2017) Wii U, 3DS (*) Sales net income

Those numbers haven't been updated considering inflation, but you clearly can see the Wii bubble (2007, 2008, 2009,2010) and the Wii U disaster from 2012 on.

In 2015 Nintendo presented some acceptable results (348m) but 2016 was worse than 2015 (146m). Besides considering the accumulated 2012-2014 results (-676m), until 2016 Nintendo was still in the red.

For 2017 I added two results.

2017 results

As you can see, 920m is 2016's profit (until March 2017). The exchange rate is mine. However I added an asterisk right there, because this number includes huge extraordinary gains that can't be ignored this year. That's why I added the result of 263m which is the sales income.

This number, 263m, is the real gain from the business sales, I mean, what Nintendo really sells: hardware and software games. This is basically the profit that comes from Wii U and 3DS businesses.

Where does the other 657m come from? Nintendo has included 28.5b yen from the shares of The Pokemon Company and other minor stuff that isn't detailed. That's Pokemon Go. Yeah, Nintendo mobile business is doing great. Nintendo also included 64.5b yen due to the sale of the participation on the Seattle Mariners MLB team (Yes, Nintendo used to own Seattle Mariners).

To sum it up, that's a lot of money that comes due to the liquidation of its shares of Seattle Mariners, an extraordinary profit that has no precedence in Nintendo's financial history, plus US$256m (my exchange rate) that comes from the Pokemon Company.

Sales income history

Since I'm talking about the US$263m number, we need to take a look at the history of the income and net sales. This number is bigger than last year's company profit which is US$146m. However, last year's financial results also has included some money from other investments.

Those are the numbers of the last 3 years:

Income

2015 US$222m
2016 US$295m
2017 US$263m

Net sales (millions of yen)

2015 549
2016 504
2017 489

Although we can't ignore The Pokemon Company results, because it's also Nintendo's somehow, unfortunately this year result is still worse than last year's. Net sales also keeps declining and 489m is the lowest number in Nintendo history since 2012. The Pokemon Go faddish is over, so I don't see Pokemon Company alone doing that again in 2017.

Looking through those lens, Nintendo didn't have the incredible 2016 people are assuming.

My conclusion

Did Nintendo finally made a huge profit and the Wii U days are behind them?

No, not yet. The company net sales are decreasing and the net business income is worse than last year's. This level of profit is still not enough for a company as big as Nintendo. We still don't have any level of downsizing going on, since the assets and properties of the company are still basically the same, but no, those are not fabulous numbers as many are stating.

On the other hand, NSW is the most promissing Nintendo system since Wii and it's already doing far better than Wii U and considering the launch period and 2017 lineup, we can bet that NSW might beat Wii U/3DS past monthly sales combined, at least this year.

Plus, we can't ignore Pokemon Go numbers. They can't be considered Nintendo true results, because Pokemon Company is another company and Pokemon Go is a Google product, however, Nintendo made that money, it's their brand and it was enough to keep the company in the blue despite the premature death of Wii U and the slowing sales of 3DS.

How big was the Pokemon Go effect?

We finally can talk about this. The financial link between Nintendo and Pokemon Go is quite confusing due to the fact that Pokemon Company is separate business that Nintendo has shares.

Pokemon Company business, with Pokemon Go, has been as big as the 3DS and Wii U business combined (US$256m). This might be astonishing for a lot of people that didn't believe in the Nintendo's mobile potential and the Pokemon brand.

That's why I keep saying that Pokemon is perhaps the best product Nintendo has, not Mario, not Zelda. Pokemon is the real Nintendo's Call of Duty and I'd say that Pokemon Go saved the company in 2016. Without it and other extraordinary figures, Nintendo financial results would be disappointing again.

What about amiibo?

I can't answer this question. We don't have the right level of detail on amiibo, but we all know that this business is quite dangerous and it might end up being a fad. However, considering all the Wii U years, I'd say that amiibo was one of the Nintendo saviours this generation.

How about the Nintendo situation throughout the years after this report?

That's the answer everyone wants to hear. Is Nintendo doomed? Is Nintendo declining? Is Nintendo finally ruling the world?

Well, considering the numbers from 2012, I'd say that the steady fall of Nintendo financial situation isn't over yet, but it's not as sharp as it was back in 2013 and 2014. Nintendo's recovering from those awful years, but it's not a fantastic recovery, it's slow.

However the only thing that we need to understand is that this recovery has been achieved through a series of quite aggressive projects. They're selling big assets, they're testing the mobile waters, that's the amiibo stuff and they're downsizing the product line and investing everything on a single system. So, Nintendo's in war mode and it's working. The only problem is that a company can't work in war mode forever. The next financial results, in 2018, will show how NSW is really doing, and that's the product that must make profit, because that's the main investment now.

If we consider the main investments between 2012 and this report I'd answer the question saying that Nintendo are fluctuating in a quite stable bottom level of their business history, which means that they're far from dropping, but they still have accumulated losses to recover and 2016 wasn't the Nintendo good year yet. It's not disappointing though, considering that it was a year of investment in a new big product and they were dealing with two dying systems, but it's not the great financial result yet either.

Goodtwin

My issue is that Nintendo's profits were fairly consistent until the huge bubble that was the DS and Wii combo. The truth is that showing hundreds of millions in profit is a healthy company. Even though the sale of the Mariners and the revenue from Pokémon Go are essentially one time sales, they basically wiped out the entire losses Nintendo sustained from the Wii U failure. Pretty cool that they can go through their biggest disappointment in decades, and basically come out breaking even.

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
My issue is that Nintendo's profits were fairly consistent until the huge bubble that was the DS and Wii combo. The truth is that showing hundreds of millions in profit is a healthy company. Even though the sale of the Mariners and the revenue from Pokémon Go are essentially one time sales, they basically wiped out the entire losses Nintendo sustained from the Wii U failure. Pretty cool that they can go through their biggest disappointment in decades, and basically come out breaking even.
LIES! They are a terrible company that, even though they constantly make a profit, are damned to be a failed business.