Nintendo Switch Sales Super Thread

Goodtwin

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...xe_breaks_series_records_with_us_launch_sales

Switch continuing to break records. Is there any possible way that Switch isn't a not Christmas product later this year? Think about the games that will be available. Zelda reinvigorated thanks to the DLC, Mario Kart 8, and Mario Odysey as the Holliday hit. Hard to fathom November/December Switch sales failing to surpass 3 million units.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Odo

NSW vs PS4/3DS/WiiU - First four weeks of launch - Worldwide

3DS 3.610m*
WiiU + 3DS 5,267m
NSW 2,740m
PS4 2,475m
WiiU 1,657m

I collected the worldwide numbers for the first four weeks of each console. As you can see, NSW is doing very well, even against Wii U and 3DS combined.

Besides, Switch hasn't come out in holiday season as PS4 and Wii U have. In the first month, NSW has beaten both Wii U and 3DS. I bet that NSW will beat both combined in a few weeks which is everything Nintendo could possibly dream.

(*) 3DS has been released in Japan on on February 26, 2011 and in one month later in the rest of the world. So since the first quarter of ended in March 31, I decided to use the worldwide number from the Nintendo financial report. So it includes one month of Japan sales and almost 1 week of worldwide sales.

Edit: I corrected NSW numbers and edited 3DS numbers.

http://www.businessinsider.com/nintendo-switch-vs-wii-wii-u-sales-chart-2017-5

Last edited:
NSW vs PS4/3DS/WiiU - First four weeks of launch - Worldwide

PS4 2,475m
WiiU + 3DS 2,402m
NSW 2,180m
WiiU 1,657m
3DS 745k

I collected the worldwide numbers for the first four weeks of each console. As you can see, NSW is doing very well, even against Wii U and 3DS combined.

Besides, Switch hasn't come out in holiday season as PS4 and Wii U have. In the first month, NSW has beaten both Wii U and 3DS. I bet that NSW will beat both combined in a few weeks which is everything Nintendo could possibly dream.
thank you for this.
Its tough to find 4 week numbers for these, I trust your judgement here.

Odo

3DS number is kinda too low because it didn't have a worldwide release day. It was released in America some weeks after Japan, I guess.

For NSW I'm trusting VGC and the others I found some reports.

Odo

I made a mistake, I should've used Nintendo own numbers for NSW

From NSW release and March 31, Nintendo says it sold 2.74 million units and not 2.18 that I summed from VGC.

So, NSW would be number 1 in first month sales. I'd collect more sources on the other ones to be sure, but it'd make sense. 3DS had a weird release, and PS4 release had some problems to I recall right. Wii U never impressed much.

edit: I edited the 3DS numbers to include both Japan and one week of the sales of the rest of the world, because Nintendo has kept the console only in Japan for one month.

Last edited:

Odo

Let's remember that Wii U sold only 3m in the entire first year. So, Switch has sold almost the same number that Wii U sold in an entire year. :)

Koenig

The Architect
Here's hoping that 3rd party support kicks into a higher gear by Winter 2017; if it does I think it is safe to say that the Switch will be THE holiday item this year. (probably still will be regardless of 3rd party support, albeit to a lesser extent)

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
Let's remember that Wii U sold only 3m in the entire first year. So, Switch has sold almost the same number that Wii U sold in an entire year. :)
but when do you count the wii U's year.. from november to the end of december, or from november to november?

Goodtwin

Here's hoping that 3rd party support kicks into a higher gear by Winter 2017; if it does I think it is safe to say that the Switch will be THE holiday item this year. (probably still will be regardless of 3rd party support, albeit to a lesser extent)
I'm certain third party games will be plentiful, but I have a feeling a lot of the games your hoping for will be missing. Out if curiosity, what Western games are at the top of your wish list?

Koenig

The Architect
I'm certain third party games will be plentiful, but I have a feeling a lot of the games your hoping for will be missing. Out if curiosity, what Western games are at the top of your wish list?

Sent from my SM-G360V using genital warts
Off the top off my head, Destiny 2. The vast majority of 3rd party games I really wanted to play came and went last year.

Odo

but when do you count the wii U's year.. from november to the end of december, or from november to november?
Ow yeah, I forgot that Wii U was released in November. Yes, it's from November to December.

From November 2012 to December 2012 (6 weeks): 3.06m.
From November 2012 to December 2013 (13 months and 2 weeks): 5.86m.
From January 2013 to December 2013 (12 months): 2.80m.

Koenig

The Architect
Out of curiosity, do we have reliable number on just how many Switch units Nintendo can actually produce on average in a given month?

Odo

I'm trying to imagine how it feels to get new Nintendo console with a new Zelda and a new MK in the launch period (for a person who hasn't owned a Wii U and so MK8 is totally new).

It sounds perfect. Is there any way to screw this up? I don't think so.

Goodtwin

Switch has been down to about 27k per week in Japan for the last couple weeks. It was holding pretty steady at about 45k per week, and then saw a spike to about 75k with the launch of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. Not sure if this is the result of a decline in demand, or the supply being even more of an issue. Regardless, its still outselling everything else on a week to week basis. May's NPD will be interested, if Switch is again able to outsell the PS4 and X1, then I think its safe to say the Switch momentum is real, and we shouldn't expect any sort of drastic drop off in sales.

Ultra Street Fighter 2 sold about 16k in Japan in its opening week. Pretty soft start. I'm sure it did much larger numbers in the US and Europe, but I am no longer of the opinion that it can sell a million units. At least not until it reaches bargain bins and is sold for a long time at $20 or less. I also didn't realize that Street Fighter V only sold a little over a million copies, and that's on PS4 with nearly 60 million users. Perhaps Street Fighter has lost its popularity? Regardless, Ultra Street Fighter 2 should prove very profitable for Capcom. The investment had to be very low, and is probably already turning a profit less than a week from launch.

I'm still not sold on ARMs being a console seller, or even a game that draws in the masses, but Splatoon 2 is a lock. That game is going to reinvigorate the Switch with any lost momentum it may have had since launch. In Japan, Splatoon is huge, and it has done well elsewhere, albeit not the phenome that it is in Japan.

The Switch will outsell the Wii U in its first 12 months on sale. It is no longer even in question for myself. The long term prognosis is harder to predict, but early on it seems like the constant flow of excellent first party content sustains the early momentum and it continue to chug along at a great pace. The better Switch does, and without publishers like EA and Activision, the more likely they are to come around and see what makes sense to release on Switch. Software support is building very quickly, and that only make the platform all the more attractive to consumers.

Its constraining supply for Splatoon and Monster Hunter release, its pretty obvious.
ARMS will be interesting. I'm of the belief it will break a million at a steady rate. While its more geared for Western audiences, imo, they've been doing a good job with marketing in Japan as well. I think preorder numbers are decent, its like 5th on some tracking website over there. Splatoon and Monster Hunter are a 1-2-Punch right afterward, though.

Btw, they are having trouble with securing certain key components for the console as well, so even afterward things will still be rough for a while. I think we are gonna see Wii levels of demand from Japan, which basically means it will be perpetually sold out.
http://gonintendo.com/stories/28134...nent-shortage-forces-nintendo-to-battle-other
https://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendo-battles-apple-for-parts-as-switch-demand-rises-1496136603
^This is also probably the reason Nintendo ditched the NES Classic, since it called for using the same components.

theMightyME

ARMS will be interesting. I'm of the belief it will break a million at a steady rate. While its more geared for Western audiences, imo, they've been doing a good job with marketing in Japan as well. I think preorder numbers are decent, its like 5th on some tracking website over there. Splatoon and Monster Hunter are a 1-2-Punch right afterward, though.
I don't know about that, when i see arms i think of Boku no Hero Academia, a popular manga /anime right now... Plus with the stretching arm thing they could offer Luffy (one piece) dlc...

I think the game is very japanese... And I'll add that when i played the global test punch at least 60% of the user names i saw were written in kana (both katakana and hiragana, the phonetic alphabets of Japan)

Honestly i think arms will be a tougher sell in the west than in japan

As for the 1 2 punch of splatoon and monster hunter... Yeah, that is a fucking knock out for Japan... If they can manage the switch version of dq11 for September... That would be lights out

The company shortage is a big deal though this has been a pretty big problem for like 4 years now with mobile devices and is getting worse... The problem is that there aren't enough factories making microchips right now, all the business moved to China and Korea and the factories in other places were shut down... But the risk averse budget production of China is coming back to bite these companies in the ass... The thing is that even American microchip companies are mostly fabricating chips or if these Chinese factories... Apple has huge leverage in these companies... Samsung also fabricates in Korea, but they sell to Apple and have a huge range of their own devices... Qualcomm fabricates in China, i think ibm does too now... Then you have the huge mobile market growth happening in China, India, and Africa... And those chips are just gobbled up

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
I don't agree with Fried often, but I'm going to side with him and say ARMS will be a big hit in the West. ARMS has a Splatoon feel to it just from an art style perspective, and that we know is a big hit, especially for a new IP. Not saying art style is the only measure for how good a game will sell, but given Nintendo's past history, this will probably sell just fine in the West.

theMightyME

I don't agree with Fried often, but I'm going to side with him and say ARMS will be a big hit in the West. ARMS has a Splatoon feel to it just from an art style perspective, and that we know is a big hit, especially for a new IP. Not saying art style is the only measure for how good a game will sell, but given Nintendo's past history, this will probably sell just fine in the West.
I never said it wouldn't do well in the west, I said that it'll be a harder sell in the west than in japan... like how splatoon became a massive cultural milestone in Japan and just a modest hit in america, I think it'll be similar with arms...

in japan EVERYONE knows what splatoon is, in the west, GAMERS know what splatoon is... hell their is a large amount of hentai doujinshi for splatoon (fan made erotic manga)... they have sold clothing there, it goes beyond just the success of the game.... it is a goddamned fashion

I think Arms will do okay in the west, I just disagree with fried about it being geared towards the west... I think this is very much geared towards japan

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
I never said it wouldn't do well in the west, I said that it'll be a harder sell in the west than in japan... like how splatoon became a massive cultural milestone in Japan and just a modest hit in america, I think it'll be similar with arms...

in japan EVERYONE knows what splatoon is, in the west, GAMERS know what splatoon is... hell their is a large amount of hentai doujinshi for splatoon (fan made erotic manga)... they have sold clothing there, it goes beyond just the success of the game.... it is a goddamned fashion

I think Arms will do okay in the west, I just disagree with fried about it being geared towards the west... I think this is very much geared towards japan
Honestly, I think it's geared about as much to Japan as Smash Bros is. Like SB, it'll have a big following of folks who will eventually succumb to having weekly or monthly tournaments (Something I know Mr. Chris is heavily involved in). I don't think it'll be as tough of a sell as some think it is.

All Nintendo would have to do is put forth a marketing campaign that signifies the game as a "Call to ARMS," and it'll sell gangbusters. :msrs:

theMightyME

Honestly, I think it's geared about as much to Japan as Smash Bros is. Like SB, it'll have a big following of folks who will eventually succumb to having weekly or monthly tournaments (Something I know Mr. Chris is heavily involved in). I don't think it'll be as tough of a sell as some think it is.

All Nintendo would have to do is put forth a marketing campaign that signifies the game as a "Call to ARMS," and it'll sell gangbusters. :msrs:
I disagree, smash became heavily western focused, I think arms will be more like splatoon

still a hit in the west, but a bigger deal in japan... that doesn't even mean it would sell better in japan (japan is a tiny market compared to America or europe), just that it would be a bigger deal there

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
Nintendo needs to get their act together with NS unit production. Being sold out this long without the massive sales to back it up is ridiculous.

I have no idea about ARMS popularity in the west, based off available information (such as COMG pre-orders, which provide a very narrow yet useful glimpse into what to expect) it is safe to say that in Japan it won't be nearly as popular as Splatoon was. I expect about half of what Splatoon did first week (so around 70-80K). Which is actually--ignoring Splatoon--still pretty good for a new IP on a new system in Japan.

theMightyME

Nintendo needs to get their act together with NS unit production. Being sold out this long without the massive sales to back it up is ridiculous.

I have no idea about ARMS popularity in the west, based off available information (such as COMG pre-orders, which provide a very narrow yet useful glimpse into what to expect) it is safe to say that in Japan it won't be nearly as popular as Splatoon was. I expect about half of what Splatoon did first week (so around 70-80K). Which is actually--ignoring Splatoon--still pretty good for a new IP on a new system in Japan.
Well it DOES have massive sales, it is nitnendo's fastest selling console... and Nintendo is competing with Apple and phone manufacturers for components... so it is udnerstandable

Koenig

The Architect

Given that Nintendo is apparently competing with Apple and other Smartphone manufacturers over a limited supply of components, it might be out of their hands to some degree. Nintendo may not be able to meet their renewed goal of 16M units this year because of that.

Given that Nintendo is apparently competing with Apple and other Smartphone manufacturers over a limited supply of components, it might be out of their hands to some degree. Nintendo may not be able to meet their renewed goal of 16M units this year because of that.
The goal is actually 18 million, confirmed
edit: ah, for this year?

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
Well it DOES have massive sales, it is nitnendo's fastest selling console... and Nintendo is competing with Apple and phone manufacturers for components... so it is udnerstandable
At launch, yes. However sales (e.g. shipments) in April dropped off a cliff and May is shaping up to be even lower as instead of increasing new shipments they are decreasing them dramatically.
True. I have no real idea how these negotiations work, but I have to wonder why Nintendo didn't plan around these issues. Originally they anticipated 8M (according to WSJ) between April-March so I guess you need to cut them some slack, still I find the extreme decrease in shipments once March was over unusual.

theMightyME

At launch, yes. However sales (e.g. shipments) in April dropped off a cliff and May is shaping up to be even lower as instead of increasing new shipments they are decreasing them dramatically.

True. I have no real idea how these negotiations work, but I have to wonder why Nintendo didn't plan around these issues. Originally they anticipated 8M (according to WSJ) between April-March so I guess you need to cut them some slack, still I find the extreme decrease in shipments once March was over unusual.
you can't easily plan around a shortage of parts.. especially when the competing players are Apple, Google, Samsung, and massive Chinese corporations you just kind of have to deal with it... as other have said before, the current fall off is likely them stock piling for upcoming game launches as it makes even less sense to not have hardware stock available when a major title comes out... those who are looking for the system daily will keep looking, but those who try and pick it up for splatoon, and then see no systems available are less likely to come back...

but at the end of the day, a shortage is a shortage, you scrap together what you can and wait it out

Nintendo isn't going to convince chip manufacturers that their needs are more pressing than Apple's it just isn't going to happen.... they COULD on the other hand convince manufacturers that the switch is more important than the One Plus 5, or the next phone from Lenovo

Odo

I'd never have expected that.

I've been thinking about all things that could hit Nintendo's stocks and logistics, but shortage of chips? That's crazy. I hope they sort it out somehow. NSW is the best Nintendo console since Wii/DS, they deserve to sell it as many as possible.

Koenig

The Architect
I wonder if the chip shortage has anything to do with the cancellation of NES classic? If they share some of the same components, it might finally make sense.

theMightyME

I wonder if the chip shortage has anything to do with the cancellation of NES classic? If they share some of the same components, it might finally make sense.
I thought it was manufacturing allotment... as in Nintendo had to abandon the nes classic to bring up switch production... because manufacturing allotment is also an issue, there are not enough factories to meet the demand of companies... but the component issue could play into it too

Goodtwin

It's likely that Switch will still be the best selling console in the month of May in all regions, so even with a shortage, it's not like the numbers sold are poor. Nintendo has probably sold more than half of what it expected to sell for the entire 2017 year, and they did that in three months. Even with the current supply allocations, Switch is pretty much a lock for selling 10 plus million Switch units before the end of the year.

Odo

Big AAA Titles - Wordwide sales - Until April 2017

3.5m - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo Exclusive: NS+WiiU)
2.8m - Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands
2.7m - Horizon: Zero Dawn (Exclusive)
1.5m - Mass Effect: Andromeda
1.2m - Mario Kart 8D (Exclusive)
1m - Persona 5 (PS Exclusive: PS3+PS4)
~1m - NieR Automata

Zelda sales is extraordinary. I couldn't imagine that it'd sell that numbers. It's beating PS exclusive games and other multi-plat beasts like Wildlands and Andromeda. MK8D is a "port" and sold 1m in 1 bloody week.

I don't know what Sony can possibly reveal this year that could stop NSW leadership.

PS4 has Uncharted Lost Legacy, Battlefront 2, Need for Speed and Destiny 2. However, Nintendo has Mario, Splatoon 2 and MHXX.

Sony has pledged that E3 will be a good showing of Japanese support. But as is common with them, its likely gonna be games that wont be out for another 2 years. Good for PR nonetheless. Nintendo has the year, least in Japan, pretty tied up. I dont see big big Nintendo news in the US until Black Friday comes around.

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
http://m.ign.com/articles/2017/06/19/playstation-4-grabs-the-npds-top-spot-for-may-2017

Nintendo Switch came up short in May. Sounds like supply is to blame. Neogaf insiders say Switch sold just shy of 200k. This should put world wide sales for the month near a half million. Mario Kart 8 and Zelda were both in the top 5, and that's without digital sales.

Sent from my SM-G360V using genital warts
There was also a rumor (take it as you will) that Nintendo was holding back some stock so that they could have more when Arms launched post e3.
But I also believe supply was the main factor. It's not like it only sold 200k because that's all people wanted. You still can't go to a store anytime you want and find them on shelves... or at least you can't find them on shelves for very long.

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
Japanese Charts for the Week - Spoiler Alert - Arms is off to a great start in Japan!
  1. [NSW] Arms (Nintendo, 06/16/17) – 100,652 (New)
  2. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo, 04/28/17) – 16,822 (522,091)
  3. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Limited Edition Included) (Nintendo, 03/03/17) – 10,200 (504,726)
  4. [3DS] Monster Hunter XX (Capcom, 03/16/17) – 8,638 (1,521,453)
  5. [PS4] Tekken 7 (Bandai Namco, 06/01/17) – 5,407 (76,603)
  6. [PS4] Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Falcom, 05/25/17) – 4,697 (47,964)
  7. [3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission X (Bandai Namco, 04/27/17) – 3,598 (167,050)
  8. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V (Low Price Version) (Take-Two, 10/08/15) – 3,588 (349,575)
  9. [PS4] NieR: Automata (Square Enix, 02/23/17) – 3,198 (344,841)
  10. [3DS] Pokemon Sun / Pokemon Moon (Nintendo, 11/18/16) – 2,971 (3,275,414)
  11. [PS4] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition (SIE, 03/19/15) – 2,940 (1,164,180)
  12. [NSW] Seiken Densetsu Collection (Square Enix, 06/01/17) – 2,835 (37,728)
  13. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf Amiibo+ (Nintendo, 11/23/16) – 2,747 (190,346)
  14. [NSW] 1-2-Switch (Nintendo, 03/03/17) – 2,618 (222,668)
  15. [3DS] Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS (Nintendo, 12/01/16) – 2,599 (1,052,401)
  16. [Wii U] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo, 03/03/17) – 2,242 (133,024)
  17. [3DS] Mario Sports Superstars (Nintendo, 03/30/17) – 2,195 (102,977)
  18. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 (Nintendo, 12/01/11) – 2,145 (2,783,005)
  19. [3DS] Pro Yakyuu Famista Climax (Bandai Namco, 04/20/17) – 2,135 (86,616)
  20. [PS4] Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition (SIE, 12/03/15) – 2,074 (193,485)
Moving on to hardware we see an increase for Nintendo Switch, likely helped by ARMS and some restocks, while PS4 consolidates second place ahead of the New 3DS LL (XL). The results are below with last week's sales in brackets.

1. Switch – 37,709 (27,291)
  2. PlayStation 4 – 18,251 (14,595)
  3. New 3DS LL – 11,592 (11,442)
  4. PlayStation 4 Pro – 5,795 (4,546)
  5. PlayStation Vita – 4,149 (4,063)
  6. 2DS – 2,655 (2,752)
  7. New 3DS – 815 (917)
  8. Xbox One – 308 (166)
  9. PlayStation 3 – 298 (392)
  10. Wii U – 199 (255)

Goodtwin

Nintendo must have had a little extra stock saved up for the launch of ARM's seeing as how it sold nearly 10k more this week than last, and for intents and purposes remains sold out. That is indeed a great start for ARM's, and it will be interesting to see if it goes evergreen like Splatoon did in Japan.

On a side note, I felt a disturbance in the Switch community today. It's almost as if a great "Evil" is now among us...... ;-)

theMightyME

I remember in some thread somebody was saying that Arms was clearly designed for western audiences, and I disputed that, saying it was like splatoon and could see similar success in japan, citing manga like "boku no hero academia"

it is looking like I was right.. too early to say definitively though