Nintendo Switch Sales Super Thread

Goodtwin

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ake_progress_on_picontier_for_nintendo_switch

I think this bodes well for how well eshop games are performing. I have seen much more expensive software like Fast RMX and Snake Pass remain higher on the best sellers chart, and this likely translates to sell over 100k sold. This is all digital, and over a million dollars is pretty damn good for smaller studios like Shin'en. Success stories like these just keep helping the software support. More and more developers are coming on board.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Goodtwin

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/hard_soft/index.html

So at the end of June the Switch has sold 4.7 million units and over 13 million pieces of software. Stand outs for software sales are Zelda BoTW with 3.92 million sold, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe at 3.52 million sold, 1-2 Switch at 1.2 million sold, and Arms at 1.1 million sold. Capcom has recently reported that Ultra Street Fighter 2 has been a smash hit for them, and has reportedly sold 450k. Konami has been very happy with Bomberman R's sales, and early reports suggested sales over 500k.

In the last two weeks Media Create has reported Switch has sold nearly 100k per week. Previous weeks were holding pretty steady around 25k, supply being the issue. Either Nintendo has finally gotten yields of increased production, or was holding back stock for the launch of Splatoon 2. Either way, this will likely result in the month of July selling 750k or better world wide, and Switch quickly clipping past the 6 million sold milestone. While this may not sound like a lot when compared to the run away success PS4, its important to remember that Switch is currently outpacing the Xbox One and Xbox 360, PS2 and PS3.

This early success is tempting publishers to get on board. Capcom has announced right off the heals of USF2 success that they are bringing Resident Evil Revelations and its sequel to the Switch later this year at $20 a piece. Ubisoft has made mention that they will be announcing more titles in the near future, and recently commented on how well their Snow Drop engine runs on Switch. They cut their teeth with Mario+Rabbids, and now feel confident they can port various games to the platform.

All in all Switch is off to a great start, on a global scale the demand still exceeds supply and this doesn't seem to be changing anytime real soon. The early success is garnering more and more software support, and this only help bolster more demand for the platform.

Koenig

The Architect
Any word on a the condition of the development kits? I have been wondering if the same ram chips are used in those, because I have heard many indie devs are still having issues getting ahold of one.

Goodtwin

Indies having trouble getting kits would most likely be Nintendo trying to police the quality of content on the eshop. Basically if your looking to shove a bunch of low cost content on the eshop, Nintendo is likely holding off on licensing them a kit. So far the eshop has been mostly quality games, and I think Nintendo would like to keep it that way.

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
Indies having trouble getting kits would most likely be Nintendo trying to police the quality of content on the eshop. Basically if your looking to shove a bunch of low cost content on the eshop, Nintendo is likely holding off on licensing them a kit. So far the eshop has been mostly quality games, and I think Nintendo would like to keep it that way.

Sent from my SM-G360V using genital warts
I wish they would have given the kit that the company that made Contact Speed to someone better, haha.

Koenig

The Architect
Hopefully Nintendo can ramp up production by Christmas. It would be a shame if they lost their thunder before they have enough units to properly sustain the original demand (Although the scarcity is surely helping to drive demand as is)

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
I still have to ask, is there any merit to the only Sony paying off Capcom rumor? (If so, why is it also on Xbox and PC?) Do we actually have anything to go on?
that it was so closely tied to the rumor of monster hunter world in the first place, the same source spurred both rumors around the same time

and sony wouldn't care about xbox and pc, the only one to worry about with that game was nintendo, where the series has found phenomenal success, especially in Japan

it absolutely reeks of a deal

Koenig

The Architect
that it was so closely tied to the rumor of monster hunter world in the first place, the same source spurred both rumors around the same time

and sony wouldn't care about xbox and pc, the only one to worry about with that game was nintendo, where the series has found phenomenal success, especially in Japan

it absolutely reeks of a deal
But do we actually have any confirmation on said deal?

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
No we don't have confirmation.

Much like Mighty tho personally I'm compelled to believe that Sony paid for MH, and to keep XX from comin out in other regions.

It was an excellent business move by Sony in convinced but I can't prove it either.

Goodtwin

http://nintendotoday.com/switch-sales-outpacing-ps4-by-2-to-1-in-japan/

While I do believe supply is starting to catch up with demand in the US, Japan is a different story. I could see Switch selling 15 million or better in Japan. You might not be guaranteed a Switch by walking into a Best Buy or Gamestop in the US, it's no longer more rare than seeing sasquatch here in the US. I think the Buzz will calm a bit here, and Switch to end up third in the monthly NPD charts on a more regular basis starting early next year. Mirroring 3DS success in the West is my guess. A lot of the sustained success depends on Nintendo and their ability to maintain consistent releases. Getting the price down to $199 will be required for marathon legs.

theMightyME

http://nintendotoday.com/switch-sales-outpacing-ps4-by-2-to-1-in-japan/

While I do believe supply is starting to catch up with demand in the US, Japan is a different story. I could see Switch selling 15 million or better in Japan. You might not be guaranteed a Switch by walking into a Best Buy or Gamestop in the US, it's no longer more rare than seeing sasquatch here in the US. I think the Buzz will calm a bit here, and Switch to end up third in the monthly NPD charts on a more regular basis starting early next year. Mirroring 3DS success in the West is my guess. A lot of the sustained success depends on Nintendo and their ability to maintain consistent releases. Getting the price down to $199 will be required for marathon legs.

Sent from my SM-G360V using genital warts
I doubt it will fall to 3rd, plus the holiday season is coming up, and Nintendo does very well during that time... also, new 3d mario in october. I have a buddy who hasn't bothered to get one yet, but says he will when xb2 and few come out

supply is going to catch demand right before the holiday season... only for demand to skyrocket again

Goodtwin

Read again, I said starting early next year Switch will fall to third in NPD. This year is a lock for Switch contesting for the top spot.

Koenig

The Architect
Here's hoping that these sales are enough to secure at least a modest amount of high profile 3rd party support by next year. The switch has a vast reservoir of untapped market potential in the form of its portability factor being applied to a vast library of new and old games.

Koenig

The Architect
Mario odyssey would be the biggest one. After that (not for me) is Xenoblade2. But with the unreasonable amount of games they have put out themselves this year people who don't have one by then will have more than they can play.
Although I would not consider their 4 major titles so far this year to be unreasonable, more like the minimum.

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
Going by what students are telling me...a large portion of students tried to get one during the summer and failed. I've been told stories about going to wal-mart in the morning with their parents and finding people lined up before them. I see this thing being huge come Christmas. Like, Wii huge. I haven't heard pre-teens and teenagers this excited about a Nintendo system in my 10 years of teaching. Expect things to ramp up dramatically for Odyssey and then be knocked out of the park by Christmas.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Although I would not consider their 4 major titles so far this year to be unreasonable, more like the minimum.
You crazy with the amount of hours that can be spent on LoZ / Spla2oon / MK8D / ARMS / Mario O / Xeno2

Yeah that's just a minimum.......*rolls eyes so hard they fall outta my head*

Koenig

The Architect
You crazy with the amount of hours that can be spent on LoZ / Spla2oon / MK8D / ARMS / Mario O / Xeno2

Yeah that's just a minimum.......*rolls eyes so hard they fall outta my head*
Nintendo could put out one game a decade and I fairly certain you would still be content with them so long as it was like BoTW. Nothing wrong with that, but others like myself ask for a bit more than just a few good games once in a while; I want a healthy library.

The four games I was referencing were Splatoon 2, Arms, BoTW, and MK8D (The last two of which are ports of Wii U games). All good titles mind you, but take a look around on what other major games are currently available on the Switch? Nothing. These are the ONLY titles driving the system right now, and although they doing a good job of it, the moment Nintendo's release schedule slumps even a little that momentum can be drastically broken. I have been very pleased with Nintendo's support so far, and am ecstatic about Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade 2; however the Switch itself still does not have a healthy library (which is fair, it just came out this year; it still has time to grow nor am I trying to say otherwise), but until I see that is has one (either by Nintendos own support or in combination with 3rd parties) I cannot in good faith recommend it as a product to others unless they are a diehard Nintendo fan (Which should not have to be pre-requisite to recommend something to someone). If Nintendo can secure enough 3rd party support to fill in the open spaces, then slowing down a little with their high-profile release schedule would be completely acceptable. As is, Nintendo firing on all cylinders is the primary reason the Switch is doing well.

Again, what we have lined up right now is really good (A better lineup than anything Nintendo has offered in a single year in over a DECADE), but anything less than this and the system will put into the position to fall behind again; customers and third parties a fickle things. We have seen a glimpse of Nintendo's revival, and it would be a damn shame to see it snuffed out all over again due to complacency.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Nintendo could put out one game a decade and I fairly certain you would still be content with them so long as it was like BoTW. Nothing wrong with that, but others like myself ask for a bit more than just a few good games once in a while; I want a healthy library.

The four games I was referencing were Splatoon 2, Arms, BoTW, and MK8D (The last two of which are ports of Wii U games). All good titles mind you, but take a look around on what other major games are currently available on the Switch? Nothing. These are the ONLY titles driving the system right now, and although they doing a good job of it, the moment Nintendo's release schedule slumps even a little that momentum can be drastically broken. I have been very pleased with Nintendo's support so far, and am ecstatic about Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade 2; however the Switch itself still does not have a healthy library (which is fair, it just came out this year; it still has time to grow nor am I trying to say otherwise), but until I see that is has one (either by Nintendos own support or in combination with 3rd parties) I cannot in good faith recommend it as a product to others unless they are a diehard Nintendo fan (Which should not have to be pre-requisite to recommend something to someone). If Nintendo can secure enough 3rd party support to fill in the open spaces, then slowing down a little with their high-profile release schedule would be completely acceptable. As is, Nintendo firing on all cylinders is the primary reason the Switch is doing well.

Again, what we have lined up right now is really good (A better lineup than anything Nintendo has offered in a single year in over a DECADE), but anything less than this and the system will put into the position to fall behind again; customers and third parties a fickle things. We have seen a glimpse of Nintendo's revival, and it would be a damn shame to see it snuffed out all over again due to complacency.
You went from "minimal" to "really good" in 2 post.

And I own a Personal bevey of diversity. And lol WiiU ports like anyone cares about that who, like myself bought them on the Switch.

LoZ - adventure
MK8D - racing
USFII (3rd party) - fighting
Spla2oon - shooter
Sniperclippers (indy) - puzzle
Puyo Tetris (3rd party) - online vs
Shovel knight (3rd party) - action adventure
ARMS - Fighter

Yet to come
MHXX (3rd party) - action adventure
Mario O - platformer
Xeno2 - JRPG / Action

When your getting diversity like this and you can check my profile to see I have the hours behind them to back up my statement. At Christmas people will find so much to play they may not sleep for awhile.

It is a little odd though, not having something november/december. Is there something there I'm missing? Wonder if they'll announce something, which would be really weird.
I suspect its free room for third party stuff like Skyrim? since no one seemed to really fill in the free slots earlier this year.

Nintendo Switch can move units on its own accord with the games it has, just needs that marketing muscle, which I'm confident they have locked down these days.

Koenig

The Architect
@mattavelle1 Again, If you are satisfied with just those more power to you. To each their own. I however, am not. I don't think its unfair to ask for more when there are still a plethora of genres that remain vacant on the switch and huge well of untapped potential. Even with the five games I own for the system right now (not including downloaded games) I and my friend still find ourselves bored much of the time.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
@mattavelle1 Again, If you are satisfied with just those more power to you. To each their own. I however, am not. I don't think its unfair to ask for more when there are still a plethora of genres that remain vacant on the switch and huge well of untapped potential. Even with the five games I own for the system right now (not including downloaded games) I and my friend still find ourselves bored much of the time.
Then find some more hobbies and interests.

I'm sorry, that was a little mean of me. But I guess one way to think of it though is how many games do you want? Clearly there must be some quantity you want, or are interested in, right? What type of genres do you want, or feel are necessary? And even when all is said and done, will you even go ahead and get them all anyway?

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
But you were talking for everyone and how minimal it is. My whole point was even if they don't have anything at Christmas there is a huge diversity and selection of Nintendo games. And right now they have been killing it in gameplay and fun.

Koenig

The Architect
Then find some more hobbies and interests.

I'm sorry, that was a little mean of me. But I guess one way to think of it though is how many games do you want? Clearly there must be some quantity you want, or are interested in, right? What type of genres do you want, or feel are necessary? And even when all is said and done, will you even go ahead and get them all anyway?
If they were available, yes. More shooters, multiplayer titles, action RPG's, strategy games, sand boxes, etc.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
You went from "minimal" to "really good" in 2 post.

And I own a Personal bevey of diversity. And lol WiiU ports like anyone cares about that who, like myself bought them on the Switch.

LoZ - adventure
MK8D - racing
USFII (3rd party) - fighting
Spla2oon - shooter
Sniperclippers (indy) - puzzle
Puyo Tetris (3rd party) - online vs
Shovel knight (3rd party) - action adventure
ARMS - Fighter

Yet to come
MHXX (3rd party) - action adventure
Mario O - platformer
Xeno2 - JRPG / Action

When your getting diversity like this and you can check my profile to see I have the hours behind them to back up my statement. At Christmas people will find so much to play they may not sleep for awhile.
You're assuming everyone likes all those games. I'm interested in Zelda and maybe Mario. Zelda is on Wii U and the last Mario sucked imo.

I think the only game I'm really excited for this holiday is Battlefront 2..

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
You're assuming everyone likes all those games. I'm interested in Zelda and maybe Mario. Zelda is on Wii U and the last Mario sucked imo.

To be fair, you're assuming Mario 3D World is pretty much the same as Mario Odyssey, which I think is a rather premature to suggest that because the last one sucked, Odyssey is not worth your time.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!

Your right I did. In that assumption I'm thinking people will make there purchase on different games tho. And if you want something you probably can't get on the other 3 options (X1X / PS4P / PC) then I'm thinking that's why people are buying a switch right now. It just has a lot you can't play in other places. I know it is like this for me and probably why I assumed.

I do apologize for assuming. Now buy a Switch and PuyoTetris so you can get rekt scrub:msrs:

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
To be fair, you're assuming Mario 3D World is pretty much the same as Mario Odyssey, which I think is a rather premature to suggest that because the last one sucked, Odyssey is not worth your time.
the only reason mario is a maybe is because it's usually pretty good. i got burned on 3d world though, so who knows what we'll get. i haven't really been following development.

Your right I did. In that assumption I'm thinking people will make there purchase on different games tho. And if you want something you probably can't get on the other 3 options (X1X / PS4P / PC) then I'm thinking that's why people are buying a switch right now. It just has a lot you can't play in other places. I know it is like this for me and probably why I assumed.

I do apologize for assuming. Now buy a Switch and PuyoTetris so you can get rekt scrub:msrs:

No need to apologize... but yeah there haven't been too many interesting releases in general lately. not on any platform. i can't see myself getting a switch though. the portability is the only reason to get it and i don't really care about console gaming on the go.

theMightyME

Right now

TV > Video Games > Film

I like the games i have played recently, but TV watching is the better source of entertainment right now, it is so much that i am getting exhausted

theMightyME

Switch is still doing well.
In the video, the guy talks about how Pokemon isn't even out on it yet, is if that would make a difference in console sales...

Come on people, the Switch is sold out EVERYWHERE, the only thing that can boost console sales for it at this point, is more consoles to sell... The only thing that can be analyzed about switch sales is nintendo's capacity to get them to retailers....

You can't look it the sales and draw any data beyond that

A. It has sold well

And

B. Nintendo cannot keep up with demand

Anything else is a pure guess with no data, AT ALL, to back it up

The only point in which we will be able to analyze the systems true sales capacity is when it doesn't sell out.

Which hasn't happened yet, and seemingly will not happen for a while... Exorbitant considering the biggest shopping season is coming up

My guess is that sales will normalize a bit by next march... It will still be selling, but you will be able to find systems without getting lucky... But that is pure speculation on my part

Not even nintendo knows what the true demand of the system is

It is like a weight lifter dead lifting all of the weights that can be added to the barbell... Maybe he can lift twice that... Or maybe only a single additional pound.. M

All we know is that the barbell itself is at capacity, and the lifter can lift it without any notable strain

Koenig

The Architect
@theMightyME True, but it is hardly a good idea to ignore Pokemon either. Major titles like Pokemon are system sellers, so it is is important to take into account; as even if the switches number slow down next year or the year after, a release from the core pokemon series would likely restore sales for a good 2-6 months.

The switch is a fantastic handheld and a decent console, but when the dust settles and supply meets demand it will be the influx and steadiness of games coming to the system that will either sustain the system's momentum or damn it to a prolonged lingering death (The fate of so many Nintendo consoles in the past).

theMightyME

@theMightyME True, but it is hardly a good idea to ignore Pokemon either. Major titles like Pokemon are system sellers, so it is is important to take into account; as even if the switches number slow down next year or the year after, a release from the core pokemon series would likely restore sales for a good 2-6 months.

The switch is a fantastic handheld and a decent console, but when the dust settles and supply meets demand it will be the influx and steadiness of games coming to the system that will either sustain the system's momentum or damn it to a prolonged lingering death (The fate of so many Nintendo consoles in the past).
I am just saying that right now, the ONLY thing that matters for sales is supply... That might not be the case next week or next month or next year... But right now, there is NO analysis to be made on anything but supply....

And the video is hinting that there is... One again... There isn't

Yes, eventually stuff like Pokemon and fire Emblem and smash and other massive games will make a huge impact on the sales of the system... But when supply is so constrained, as it is now, the ONLY thing that matters is that supply.

As i said... If Pokemon came out for switch tomorrow, it would not boost sales by even a single unit... Because there are no units available for a boost to happen.

Hell if Nintendo announced that starting today everyone who picks up a switch will get it for free, get paid $500, and be given, today, switch releases of the next Pokemon, Call of Duty, Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter, Final Fantasy, Mass Effect, etc.... None of which are ports or even multiplats, but the next main entry in all of those franchises as Exclusives.. Even in that impossible fantasy... Switch sales would not increase by even a single unit... Because there is no single extra unit to sell

Goodtwin

The ceiling for Switch is hard to determine in Japan. In the West I believe supply is starting to catch up with demand, and thus means around 400-500k per month between Europe and NA. Japan has such a profound enthusiasm for the Switch that it very well may match the rest of the work combined. I always expected this concept to do well in Japan, but this has been sustained demand for months now. This bodes well for Japanese developer who have jumped on board. There is no reason Switch cant sell 14 million in its first twelve months on sales, assuming supply can accommodate it. Nintendo's challenge is making the Switch a contender in Europe and NA, in Japan things will come much easier. Once the price is down to $199 and there is a maintain Pokémon game on Switch, Nintendo will once again own Japan. I could see 20 million units being sold there, and that is huge.

Goodtwin

http://nintendoeverything.com/ninte...fy32018-switch-at-7-63-million-shipped-total/

Who would have thought Switch sales would end up so boring. LOL Seriously though, unlike the Wii U doom and gloom, Switch sales need not look for a silver lining or a glimpse of hope, because so far the console is a break out success. Long term trajectory is tough to predict, but so far the Switch is on pace to outsell the Wii U's lifetime sales of 14 million units in its first twelve months on sale. This will be very similar to first year sales for PS4, and that is pretty impressive. Wii and DS success these days is tough because those systems tapped into that blue ocean market that has mostly moved onto smart devices. Switch is a gamers machine. Grandma isn't buying a Switch.

So hardware sales are strong, and obviously first party software sales are very strong, but how are third party games doing on the Switch platform?

https://www.gonintendo.com/stories/294989-dragon-ball-xenoverse-2-hits-400k-shipped-on-switch
and
http://nintendoeverything.com/ultra...-monster-hunter-xx-switch-ships-350000-units/

This is good news. DBZ Xenoverse 2 shipping over 400k? That is damn good for a game for a very late port. Ultra Street Fighter 2 sells over 500k on Switch? Capcom wishes Street Fighter V made them this much money. Monster Hunter XX does pretty well considering Capcom boned me and decided localization was out of the question. Bottom line is that third parties are having positive results on Switch. Even Take Two recently reported positive success for NBA 2k18 on Switch. With games like Doom, Skyrim, and LA Noir coming out this month, I think there is a huge opportunity to get Western publishers taking another look at Switch. This is a core gamers platform, and while Nintendo's first party content may be the driving force behind the console, third party games will be expanding the audience and developing an audience within the ecosystem that may not have been there otherwise.

Ubisooft has recently reported that Switch made up 19% of their revenue for their recent quarterly earnings report. Not bad considering this is basically made up entirely of Mario+Rabbids Kingdom Battle sales. Not sure if games like Assassins Creed and Watch Dogs will be ported, but perhaps this will persuade Ubisoft to continue to invest in exclusive software for Switch. Maybe the snowboarding game Steep from Ubisoft instead becomes Mario+Rabbids 1080 snowboarding. Who knows, but I think there is potential to use Nintendo IP's to help bring brand recognition for games that may have otherwise been overlooked by gamers.

To sum it all up, Nintendo is doing great with Switch, and the future looks bright for years to come.

GaemzDood

I doubt Watch Dogs 2 will be ported on the basis that it flopped on other platforms at launch, which is a shame as the game itself is actually good. That said, the saying goes "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me." I doubt Watch Dogs will ever be able to take off as a franchise as the name so far seems to be associated with the graphics, physics, and AI downgrade from E3 2012. Assassin's Creed managed to take off because it actually lived up to the promise of delivering next gen visuals and AI behavior, so people were eager to see more.

Assassin's Creed's development succeeded because they built it around a target spec. Watch Dogs didn't even have a target spec to optimize around, hence why you had issues like the game being utterly unoptimized for AMD cards, microstuttering on PC, 900p and 792p on PS4 and Xbox One, and an outsourced Wii U port that was in development hell longer than the actual game.

GaemzDood

@Goodtwin, why the hell aren't there any numbers for DOOM and Skyrim's digital sales or U.S. sales? All we have are the UK sales, which doesn't mean shit since A) it doesn't account for digital sales and B) the Switch isn't even popular in the UK.

To be honest, I'm worried that they aren't doing well here either. I'm not sure yet, but if that's the case, then I'm going to be pissed. One of the reasons I want a Switch is because I'm hardly home most of the time and I really want a way to play my favorite games without being home. One of the reasons my mom bought me a PSP when I was growing up is because we went on a lot of road trips, and I was more incentivized to buy a PSP due to the fact that a lot of my favorite console franchises were on it compared to the DS. If said favorite games [DOOM] aren't doing well on the Switch, then that suggests that A) Switch owners don't buy Mature rated games, which would be incredibly strange due to the average age range of Switch owners (and no, it has nothing to do with being "niche" or "unique," anybody who says that needs to get off their high horse; people who say shit like that are the gaming equivalent to people who say that racial genetics play a role in IQ gaps), and B) due to that, 3rd parties will be less enticed to port M rated titles to the Switch.

A solution to the sales gap, if it exists (again, I'm not sure), between titles like DOOM and Skyrim and titles like Ultra Street Fighter II would probably be for Nintendo to invest into their own titles for the particular brand of gamer who buys titles like DOOM and Skyrim. See my IP idea thread.