Nintendo Switch Sales Super Thread

Goodtwin

@Goodtwin, why the hell aren't there any numbers for DOOM and Skyrim's digital sales or U.S. sales? All we have are the UK sales, which doesn't mean shit since A) it doesn't account for digital sales and B) the Switch isn't even popular in the UK.

To be honest, I'm worried that they aren't doing well here either. I'm not sure yet, but if that's the case, then I'm going to be pissed. One of the reasons I want a Switch is because I'm hardly home most of the time and I really want a way to play my favorite games without being home. One of the reasons my mom bought me a PSP when I was growing up is because we went on a lot of road trips, and I was more incentivized to buy a PSP due to the fact that a lot of my favorite console franchises were on it compared to the DS. If said favorite games [DOOM] aren't doing well on the Switch, then that suggests that A) Switch owners don't buy Mature rated games, which would be incredibly strange due to the average age range of Switch owners (and no, it has nothing to do with being "niche" or "unique," anybody who says that needs to get off their high horse; people who say shit like that are the gaming equivalent to people who say that racial genetics play a role in IQ gaps), and B) due to that, 3rd parties will be less enticed to port M rated titles to the Switch.

A solution to the sales gap, if it exists (again, I'm not sure), between titles like DOOM and Skyrim and titles like Ultra Street Fighter II would probably be for Nintendo to invest into their own titles for the particular brand of gamer who buys titles like DOOM and Skyrim. See my IP idea thread.
We will have to wait and see what the November NPD looks like. It has become more and more rare for publishers to release sales info.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Goodtwin

Nintendo Enthusiast needs a worried react.
Nah, eshop sales have been solid, and both games charted well on Amazon and Best Buy. I think Bethesda has reasonable expectations, and selling a million units is their best case scenario goal. Dragonball Xenoverse 2 has sold 400k already, and with the Christmas rush, I think both Skyrim and Doom can do at least that well by the end of the year.

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
Steve2 and I each got a copy of Skyrim, and I'm getting Doom for Christmas. I think Christmas sales will be good for both games. With this being the beginning of peak shopping season, I doubt Bethesda will be too worried about totals till after the holidays. I have faith that both will sell well though.

GaemzDood

Nah, eshop sales have been solid, and both games charted well on Amazon and Best Buy. I think Bethesda has reasonable expectations, and selling a million units is their best case scenario goal. Dragonball Xenoverse 2 has sold 400k already, and with the Christmas rush, I think both Skyrim and Doom can do at least that well by the end of the year.

I really hope Black Friday takes them off. I think I might buy a Switch on Black Friday actually.

GaemzDood

How come we don't get an analyst study/report of how many Switch owners that buy M rated games compared to E rated ones? We get general average data of ESRB buying habits across other consoles and PCs, but not for the Switch.

We knew they didn't sell well on Wii U and 3DS, because those systems were marketed as machines for children. That's not the case with Switch, and Nintendo has been hammering out ads for DOOM, LA Noire, and Skyrim. Since that seems to be paying off, I would really like some stats since I'm borderline autistically obsessed with numbers and data.

Goodtwin

It will be tougher to directly compare sales. First 9 months in sale are nearly identical. First 12 months will probably be similar. It is that pesky 13th month where PS4 will jump out. Why? Because PS4 enjoyed it's second Christmas. Switch on the other hand will enjoy its 13 month in sale in April, not exactly a huge sales month.
Basically has hit PS4 pace in the same length of time. Wonder if it will beat it... Could be a good bet.

GaemzDood

Skyrim 4th best best selling Switch game in November, and Doom got the number 8 spot.

http://nintendoeverything.com/novem...ch-3ds-games-through-2017-last-twelve-months/

The fact that Sonic Forces is even selling at all, especially considering Sonic Mania also exists, is shameful.

But yeah, with those Skyrim and DOOM sales, the industry (looking at you Ubisoft) can't ignore that. Hopefully this means more Mature Switch titles.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Goodtwin

I will be interested to see how EA weasels out of Fifa and other titles for Switch next year. Checking Amazon UK, France, and Germany all show Fifa for Switch charting rather well. Hell, in France its in the top 25 right now. Germany and the UK are in that 50-70 range. It even slipped back into the top 100 in the US. I'm not saying that it will sell over a million on Switch, but I bet it does every bit as good as the Xbox One version in the first couple years.

Skyrim is killing it. It is charting well in pretty much every territory. In a way, I think Bethesda and perhaps other developers may start looking harder at games from the 360/PS3 era that were critically acclaimed, and look to further that success on Switch. Rockstar has to be taking a hard look at GTA V for Switch by now. If Skyrim can sell a million copies on Switch, and I think it will, GTA V could sell MILLIONS on Switch. I think they would need to do the port in house to make sure quality was up to snuff for their beloved franchise, but it would be worth the 6 months at the most to sell millions of units.

Switch hardware itself continues to chart very well. Amazon isn't the be all tell all, but we have to extrapolate the data we have access too and make some assumptions until we get the published numbers from investors meetings. Microsoft and Sony had excellent deals last month, and that persuaded a ton of people to buy one of those consoles on impulse. December things have stabilized, and it seems like Switch has returned to the hot ticket item In Japan alone it is selling nearly 150k every week right now. Japan also has a history of the week after Christmas being just as impressive. We could be looking at 600k in Japan alone for the month of December. Nintendo's 10 million number likely was at the end of November. We could be talking 12-13 million units world wide by the end of 2017. If the January Nintendo Direct showcases some early 2018 must have titles, there will be no slowdown in sight for Switch entering the new year.

Goodtwin

The fact that Sonic Forces is even selling at all, especially considering Sonic Mania also exists, is shameful.

But yeah, with those Skyrim and DOOM sales, the industry (looking at you Ubisoft) can't ignore that. Hopefully this means more Mature Switch titles.

Sorry, I forgot to comment on this. Yes, Sonic Forces is very mediocre, so much so that even Sega realized they needed to go with a budget price. Sonic Mania is a fantastic game. I think Sonic fans are just really passionate, and will still buy even the most mediocre Sonic games. It is unfortunate that poor/mediocre games like Sonic Forces outsell better games like Doom, but some IP's just have more selling power on Nintendo platforms, and Sonic does well on Nintendo platforms.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen

GaemzDood

Sorry, I forgot to comment on this. Yes, Sonic Forces is very mediocre, so much so that even Sega realized they needed to go with a budget price. Sonic Mania is a fantastic game. I think Sonic fans are just really passionate, and will still buy even the most mediocre Sonic games. It is unfortunate that poor/mediocre games like Sonic Forces outsell better games like Doom, but some IP's just have more selling power on Nintendo platforms, and Sonic does well on Nintendo platforms.
Do you think it's due to kids? Asking for a friend.

If so, Nintendo hasn't done as good of a job of clearing their reputation.

Goodtwin

Do you think it's due to kids? Asking for a friend.

If so, Nintendo hasn't done as good of a job of clearing their reputation.
To some extent, yes, but also because Nintendo consoles tend to have a lot of OG gamers. Nostalgia plays a part. I would best most modern Sonic games sell to gamers who grew up in the 90s. When Sega stopped making hardware, a lot of the hardcore Sega fans moved to Nintendo. Most Sega games sold really well on the Gamecube.

GaemzDood

To some extent, yes, but also because Nintendo consoles tend to have a lot of OG gamers. Nostalgia plays a part. I would best most modern Sonic games sell to gamers who grew up in the 90s. When Sega stopped making hardware, a lot of the hardcore Sega fans moved to Nintendo. Most Sega games sold really well on the Gamecube.

Ironic considering their best games were on the Xbox. Not even debatable. The Sonic Adventure games are so bad in retrospect, but god damn is the Sonic Adventure 2 soundtrack good.

Having been a Sonic fanboy growing up, I have to admit that a lot of fans are desperate. It's gotten to the point where Sega has to host fan projects just because theirs are so shitty.

Goodtwin

If Sega would just realize the market would love a Sonic game given the same treatment DKC got. 2D with gorgeous visuals and fantastic level design would sell, and probably require a smaller budget than Forces did. Some games are just best in 2D.

GaemzDood

If Sega would just realize the market would love a Sonic game given the same treatment DKC got. 2D with gorgeous visuals and fantastic level design would sell, and probably require a smaller budget than Forces did. Some games are just best in 2D.

Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 were great....when you were playing as Sonic. In Adventure 2's case, you only got 11 good levels total if you factor in Sonic and Shadow, the latter who only got 4. That's only 1/3rd of the game that's good, not counting the final story, which was generally excellent.

I'm not a fan of the "boost trilogy" to be honest. My problem is that control feels stripped away in the pursuit of essentially turning Sonic into a glorified racing game. Just the act of turning anywhere but forward feels dodgy, and people now just realized that with Forces since the game has random bottomless pits everywhere.

Goodtwin

On the Switch's news channel they have a list of the best selling Switch games. Skyrim is right there with Bomberman R and Ultra Street Fighter 2. We know both of those games sold over 500k, so it is pretty much confirmation that Skyrim has sold over 500k at this point. Sonic Mania was listed quite a bit higher on the list. Sega made a killing with Sonic Mania. It continues to chart well on the eshop. A digital only game that will likely far exceed the sales of Sonic Forces. Sega needs to take note, Sonic is better in 2D, and gamers want to buy good Sonic games and being in 2D is not a deal breaker. The developer of Kamiko recently divulged that it has sold over 160k. Pretty darn impressive. The game had good visibility thanks to being on the ehsop prior to the flood of new content entering the eshop every week, but for a limited install base it is rather impressive just the same. Grossing nearly a million bucks on Switch is likely exceeding expectations to say the least. The ecosystem on Switch is very healthy. It seems like a great opportunity for developers, and I think the high hardware sales followed up with plenty of success stories for third party developers will persuade quite a few publishers to increase their support. It is easy being a Nintendo fan these days.

GaemzDood

According to VGChartz, Skyrim sold 154k in its first week. It outsold Mario Kart 8's 30th week. That's not factoring in digital sales.

DOOM sold around 80k on its first week, retail only. Digitally, it was a much larger success if I recall correctly. For reference, it opened up on PC at around 54k.

GaemzDood

On the Switch's news channel they have a list of the best selling Switch games. Skyrim is right there with Bomberman R and Ultra Street Fighter 2. We know both of those games sold over 500k, so it is pretty much confirmation that Skyrim has sold over 500k at this point. Sonic Mania was listed quite a bit higher on the list. Sega made a killing with Sonic Mania. It continues to chart well on the eshop. A digital only game that will likely far exceed the sales of Sonic Forces. Sega needs to take note, Sonic is better in 2D, and gamers want to buy good Sonic games and being in 2D is not a deal breaker. The developer of Kamiko recently divulged that it has sold over 160k. Pretty darn impressive. The game had good visibility thanks to being on the ehsop prior to the flood of new content entering the eshop every week, but for a limited install base it is rather impressive just the same. Grossing nearly a million bucks on Switch is likely exceeding expectations to say the least. The ecosystem on Switch is very healthy. It seems like a great opportunity for developers, and I think the high hardware sales followed up with plenty of success stories for third party developers will persuade quite a few publishers to increase their support. It is easy being a Nintendo fan these days.
A Sonic game's quality lives and dies by its physics. Sonic could work in 3D, they just need a good physics system that actually calculates momentum. When I roll down a hill, I want to speed up from that.

http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_Physics_Guide
This guide shows the mathematical calculations that Sega made for the Genesis and CD games' physics engines.

The Sonic Adventure games are the only 3D Sonic titles that didn't gimp the spindash, but they had tons of other issues. Heroes and Ow the Edgehog completely gimped the spindash, but also made jumping and homing attacks slower and also completely messed up the acceleration. You go from zero to Usain Bolt in a second, there were no momentum based physics (not that Adventure did it either), and the controls were super slippery. However, all of the titles suffered from a lack of meaningful exploration in favor of setpieces.

My issue with the boost titles is that not only does walking feel slippery, most control is stripped away when boosting, which means that platforming challenges are a pain. This is why Forces got flack for its level design. Boost gameplay's wonky physics and lack of direct player input + bottomless pits = trainwreck.

Another egregious issue with 3D Sonic games is the lack of commitment to framerate. John Carmack said it best on Twitter when he stated that a Sonic game not running at a locked 60 FPS is a crime against humanity. The only 3D Sonic title to really lock the framerate down to 60 is, ironically, Sonic Forces (for PS4 only). Sonic 3D Blast and Sonic R started the downward trend to 30 FPS, Adventure continued it (they tried to unlock the framerate for the GCN port, but it was a variable mess), Adventure 2 fixed it, and the rest is decline. When I replayed Edgy the Hedgy on my original Xbox, I was shocked at how variable the performance was. It tries to hit 60 FPS, but as soon as there's any explosion on screen (and there are a lot), it crashes down to 30 FPS with no frame or audio skipping, which is inexcusable given that the visuals were horrendous even at the time of release and the fact that much better looking Xbox games like Ninja Gaiden Black and Painkiller run at 60 FPS. I can't even imagine how bad it is on PS2. Sonic Unleashed ran at an unlocked framerate (on PS3 at least) but crashed down well below 60 (even 30) as soon as you started running fast, likely due to asset streaming, and Generations was 30 FPS with tons of frame pacing issues. As you can see, it's all over the place. The only two Sonic titles out of all the 3D games to run at a stable 60 FPS were Adventure 2 and Forces for PS4.

Sonic 4 was 2D. It sucked because the physics sucked.

Last edited:

Odo

NSW vs PS4 vs 3DS - First months including first Christmas

3DS 15.03m
Christmas 2011
2011 Apr to 2011 Dec = 3 quarters​

NSW 14.86m
Christmas 2017
2011 Mar to 2011 Dec = 3 quarters + December​

PS4 13.5m
Christmas 2013
2013 Nov to 2014 Sep = 3 quarters + 1 and half month of the launch period​

PS:
Wii U 13.5m
Lifetime​

That's it. NSW was able to beat PS4, but not able to beat 3DS, but still, that's impressive.

Extraordinary numbers.

I still give a chance to PS4, because it's a home console, it was more expensive than a handheld and PS3 was quite strong back then and not everyone was really willing to upgrade in the first year, while NSW is a handheld and its predecessor is dog poo. Still, Nintendo recovery is impressive.

I believe things will even improve upon that, because Nintendo's still king in Japan and ............ Pokemon is coming.

Koenig

The Architect
XX is mainline what did it sell in Japan? And a few of us bought it aswell
Isn't X and XX technically considered a spin off? Also it was a port of a 3DS game that had already been out for a year . I am talking about a numeric entry in the series or an evolution there of that is built to take advantage of modern hardware.

XX is mainline what did it sell in Japan? And a few of us bought it aswell
"Very well" according to Capcom, but I highly doubt it touched the million mark.

I think anyone that owns or is seeking to own a Switch in Japan will probably also be MH fans. You can see an effect to PS4 sales in the country thanks to World, I doubt the same would happen if a new MH released on Switch.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
"Very well" according to Capcom, but I highly doubt it touched the million mark.

I think anyone that owns or is seeking to own a Switch in Japan will probably also be MH fans. You can see an effect to PS4 sales in the country thanks to World, I doubt the same would happen if a new MH released on Switch.
Well I also saw yesterday where Capcom was praising the Switch because it’s the console who has sold RE:R 1&2 the best.

Goodtwin

Capcoms return on investment with Switch must a tremendous. They haven't done anything beyond inexpensive ports so far, and they have sold pretty well. I love Ultra Street Fighter 2, but lets be honest, it is a slightly reworked Xbox 360 Arcade game that sold for $20 years ago. Then we have MH XX, an upgraded 3DS game, which probably didn't do much beyond better textures and lighting and shadows. Resident Evil Revelations 1+2 were easy ports seeing as how they were PS3/360 level visuals. Capcom has supported Switch very cautiously to say the least. I am not convinced this will change a whole lot however. I think Capcom sees Switch as easy money, but the games that really require big investment will remain exclusive to PS4/X1. I think they will continue to look for easy ports. Mega Man 11, while popular with long time fans, is a game with minimal investment. With Capcom, I think this is what we can expect, and if a new Resident Evil or Devil May Cry is announced, Switch will not be a supported platform. Street Fighter is a toss up, being a 2D fighter, the technical hurdles are less cumbersome, but who knows, that might not matter much.

GaemzDood

Capcoms return on investment with Switch must a tremendous. They haven't done anything beyond inexpensive ports so far, and they have sold pretty well. I love Ultra Street Fighter 2, but lets be honest, it is a slightly reworked Xbox 360 Arcade game that sold for $20 years ago. Then we have MH XX, an upgraded 3DS game, which probably didn't do much beyond better textures and lighting and shadows. Resident Evil Revelations 1+2 were easy ports seeing as how they were PS3/360 level visuals. Capcom has supported Switch very cautiously to say the least. I am not convinced this will change a whole lot however. I think Capcom sees Switch as easy money, but the games that really require big investment will remain exclusive to PS4/X1. I think they will continue to look for easy ports. Mega Man 11, while popular with long time fans, is a game with minimal investment. With Capcom, I think this is what we can expect, and if a new Resident Evil or Devil May Cry is announced, Switch will not be a supported platform. Street Fighter is a toss up, being a 2D fighter, the technical hurdles are less cumbersome, but who knows, that might not matter much.
Nintendo Enthusiast needs an angry reacc.

Odo

I think Nintendo has the most loyal fanbase. Perhaps even more loyal than Apple's and I believe devs just hack that.

As I said before, whatever mistake Capcom does, they basically can get over it just releasing old Mega Mans and Street Fighters in expensive deluxe editions and Nintendo fanbase will buy 2m copies. Capcom can re-release Mega Man collection every 3 years and they will make profit from Nintendo.

Ubisoft can do the same. Why bother porting Watch Dogs 2, if they can release Rayman Mega Deluxe Super Pricey Edition and make easy money again and again?

The same for every other dev that always work with Nintendo. So, why not hack this behavior? They just do it and it works and that's the right thing to do business wise. Easy money.

Put amiibo on that, and it's extra money.

After Capcom makes a lot of money with MHW (or not) they just need to make MHXXX for Switch with 2005 graphics and a deluxe edition plus 5 amiibo and Mega Man costumes and bingo, they sell 10m and get rich again. They don't need to bother porting MHW.

Koenig

The Architect
After Capcom makes a lot of money with MHW (or not) they just need to make MHXXX for Switch with 2005 graphics and a deluxe edition plus 5 amiibo and Mega Man costumes and bingo, they sell 10m and get rich again. They don't need to bother porting MHW.
* vomits *

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
they just need to make MHXXX for Switch with 2005 graphics
That'd be an upgrade over the graphics of MHW, to be honest. These are some of the best animators and environment artists in the industry, but they chose to turn their own art into a dark, desaturated, and blurry mess. It feels like playing Monster Hunter with sunglasses on.

I love the game, but the graphics are the worst thing about it.

Koenig

The Architect
That'd be an upgrade over the graphics of MHW, to be honest. These are some of the best animators and environment artists in the industry, but they chose to turn their own art into a dark, desaturated, and blurry mess. It feels like playing Monster Hunter with sunglasses on.

I love the game, but the graphics are the worst thing about it.
Isn't that more the art style than the graphics though? The color palette in particular.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Isn't that more the art style than the graphics though? The color palette in particular.
The distinction between an engine's graphical capabilities and the actual visuals of the game does more harm than good for the industry. It allows games that merely push numbers to find validation even though their game actually looks unappealing.

The art director made a choice that resulted in a muddy-looking game that loses the visual clarity of previous games in the same series. That shouldn't be given a pass just because the game is pushing polygons and particle effects.

Koenig

The Architect
The distinction between an engine's graphical capabilities and the actual visuals of the game does more harm than good for the industry. It allows games that merely push numbers to find validation even though their game actually looks unappealing.p/QUOTE]I Disagree on this part. I feel the distinction should be made more so that bad art WILL be singled out, rather than hidden behind and confused with capable graphic systems.

The art director made a choice that resulted in a muddy-looking game that loses the visual clarity of previous games in the same series. That shouldn't be given a pass just because the game is pushing polygons and particle effects.
I do agree wholeheartedly on this part.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I think Nintendo has the most loyal fanbase. Perhaps even more loyal than Apple's and I believe devs just hack that.

As I said before, whatever mistake Capcom does, they basically can get over it just releasing old Mega Mans and Street Fighters in expensive deluxe editions and Nintendo fanbase will buy 2m copies. Capcom can re-release Mega Man collection every 3 years and they will make profit from Nintendo.

Ubisoft can do the same. Why bother porting Watch Dogs 2, if they can release Rayman Mega Deluxe Super Pricey Edition and make easy money again and again?

The same for every other dev that always work with Nintendo. So, why not hack this behavior? They just do it and it works and that's the right thing to do business wise. Easy money.

Put amiibo on that, and it's extra money.

Look at this guy pfffffffffft