Nintendo Switch Sales Super Thread

GaemzDood

That'd be an upgrade over the graphics of MHW, to be honest. These are some of the best animators and environment artists in the industry, but they chose to turn their own art into a dark, desaturated, and blurry mess. It feels like playing Monster Hunter with sunglasses on.

I love the game, but the graphics are the worst thing about it.
That's mainly due to the lighting and lack of a proper energy conservation model in the physically based pipeline. Same issue with Rise of the Tomb Raider's grossly exaggerated specular highlights.

GaemzDood

I think Nintendo has the most loyal fanbase. Perhaps even more loyal than Apple's and I believe devs just hack that.

As I said before, whatever mistake Capcom does, they basically can get over it just releasing old Mega Mans and Street Fighters in expensive deluxe editions and Nintendo fanbase will buy 2m copies. Capcom can re-release Mega Man collection every 3 years and they will make profit from Nintendo.

Ubisoft can do the same. Why bother porting Watch Dogs 2, if they can release Rayman Mega Deluxe Super Pricey Edition and make easy money again and again?

The same for every other dev that always work with Nintendo. So, why not hack this behavior? They just do it and it works and that's the right thing to do business wise. Easy money.

Put amiibo on that, and it's extra money.

After Capcom makes a lot of money with MHW (or not) they just need to make MHXXX for Switch with 2005 graphics and a deluxe edition plus 5 amiibo and Mega Man costumes and bingo, they sell 10m and get rich again. They don't need to bother porting MHW.
The sad part is that when Capcom actually did put effort into making games for Nintendo consoles, they *did* see diminishing returns. Both Resident Evil REmake and Zero were flops on GameCube, Resident Evil 2 sold way way less on the N64 than PS1, Resident Evil 4 didn't even crack the top 10 best sellers list for the GameCube despite being the second highest rated game, and Viewtiful Joe and Killer7 flopped as well.

However, this was also back when Nintendo was also hesitant to fix their image as a company that specialized in products for children, hence why games not made for children flopped on the N64, GameCube, and Wii. Things have changed since then, and Nintendo now actively encourages developers and collaborates with developers of Mature titles for porting assistance. I recently read a Bloober Team interview on Nintendo Life and they went over how Nintendo actively supported them in getting Layers of Fear: Legacy running on Switch. The game is also being advertised quite well on various Nintendo oriented sites, which was never the case back in the day: back then, any signs of core multiplatform titles coming to the GameCube weren't covered by any gaming site, Nintendo oriented or not.

Basically, Nintendo changed for the better; Capcom changed for the worse.

Odo

The sad part is that when Capcom actually did put effort into making games for Nintendo consoles, they *did* see diminishing returns. Both Resident Evil REmake and Zero were flops on GameCube, Resident Evil 2 sold way way less on the N64 than PS1, Resident Evil 4 didn't even crack the top 10 best sellers list for the GameCube despite being the second highest rated game, and Viewtiful Joe and Killer7 flopped as well.

However, this was also back when Nintendo was also hesitant to fix their image as a company that specialized in products for children, hence why games not made for children flopped on the N64, GameCube, and Wii. Things have changed since then, and Nintendo now actively encourages developers and collaborates with developers of Mature titles for porting assistance. I recently read a Bloober Team interview on Nintendo Life and they went over how Nintendo actively supported them in getting Layers of Fear: Legacy running on Switch. The game is also being advertised quite well on various Nintendo oriented sites, which was never the case back in the day: back then, any signs of core multiplatform titles coming to the GameCube weren't covered by any gaming site, Nintendo oriented or not.

After Wii U failure, Nintendo now can see that they can't win alone. Wii U had almost all big Nintendo franchises and failed miserably. They're getting a little bit more humble and understanding that just a "device with Mario" isn't enough. It's a new Nintendo and even though some 3rd parties could try to to say that they're responding to a let down, it's not the case for Capcom, because I guess Capcom always had a good support from Nintendo.

Anyway, Capcom is going for money and in that sense what they're doing make business sense, which is sad for all the Nintendo fans. As I said, they're loyal and don't deserve that. I still think they may port MHW down the road, but again, it's a fact that the best way to hack Nintendo fans is just releasing the same retro stuff again with amiibo. It's a hack, it's not good, but it's a hack that works. Just see the sales numbers. In what other console an old Street Fighter would sell like that? Only on a Nintendo console.

The best thing Nintendo have created for 3rd parties is amiibo. It's the easiest DLC ever to sell. The only DLC nobody complains about, because it's .. "cute".

That may sounds harsh, but the truth is, that's how executives think. They don't give a damm if you guys love a franchise or not, they just want to sell the "same rubbish again with a toy". That's how they see it, and it's a fact that it works on Nintendo fanbase.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear

REmake and REmakeZero were flops? Last time I checked, they each sold well over one million copies, and RE4 was in the top 20 best sellers for GCN, so not too shabby. Viewtiful Joe was basically a half-million seller, but even still, sold more on GCN than PS2, despite the much higher install base of the latter. Killer 7 was definitely a flop though.

Goodtwin

The RE games weren't flops, but I am sure they underperformed Capcoms expectations. RE2 and RE3 sold far better on PlayStation. When Capcom made the exclusive deal with Nintendo there was no way abyone could have known GC would only sell 21 million units. I'm sure low estimates were double that when the deal was made.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
After Wii U failure, Nintendo now can see that they can't win alone. Wii U had almost all big Nintendo franchises and failed miserably. They're getting a little bit more humble and understanding that just a "device with Mario" isn't enough. It's a new Nintendo and even though some 3rd parties could try to to say that they're responding to a let down, it's not the case for Capcom, because I guess Capcom always had a good support from Nintendo.

Anyway, Capcom is going for money and in that sense what they're doing make business sense, which is sad for all the Nintendo fans. As I said, they're loyal and don't deserve that. I still think they may port MHW down the road, but again, it's a fact that the best way to hack Nintendo fans is just releasing the same retro stuff again with amiibo. It's a hack, it's not good, but it's a hack that works. Just see the sales numbers. In what other console an old Street Fighter would sell like that? Only on a Nintendo console.

The best thing Nintendo have created for 3rd parties is amiibo. It's the easiest DLC ever to sell. The only DLC nobody complains about, because it's .. "cute".

That may sounds harsh, but the truth is, that's how executives think. They don't give a damm if you guys love a franchise or not, they just want to sell the "same rubbish again with a toy". That's how they see it, and it's a fact that it works on Nintendo fanbase.
outside of indies Nintendo is pretty much going it alone with the switch right now

every time I pushed for Nintendo to have a hybrid it was never because I wanted the system in itself, but because it would unify Nintendo's development efforts on a single front... I wrote some articles about it and did my research, 1 year the wii u would have nothing much coming to it, but the 3ds was active, the next year the wii u would have some significant 1st party offerings, but the 3ds was lacking... and fans with both systems had to suffer gamers that weren't much but repeated concepts when a hit game formula on the 3ds would be repeated on the wii u and vice versa...

if you just looked at every Nintendo game coming out during the wii u years, and didn't focus on the platform, Nintendo's lineup was solid... but it was divided on 2 fronts..

my argument has always been that Nintendo needs to ignore 3rd parties (not spurn them, just proceed as if they don't expect much from them) and adjust their resources on a single platform, specifically aiming to fill every hole in their lineup

I would argue that my prediction is more accurate to what Nintendo has done than your suggesting has... they filled out an incredibly impressive lineup nearly by themselves in 2017... sure there were some 3rd party ports, and indies... but c'mon that wasn't what sold the switch... the switch was a success because in 1 year they put out Zelda, Mario, Splatoon, Kart, etc.. and they spaced the releases out so that there was always something to talk about and play on the switch... THAT is why the switch sold.. not because they didn't go it alone... hell, for non indy 3rd aporty support, the wii u blew the switch out of the water in its first year... Darksiders, Call of Duty, Arkham City, Assassin's Creed, etc...

In the end, it did nothing for them, and the games didn't sell so that elusive 3rd party support disappeared...

The switch is succeeding where the wii u failed for several reasons... but NONE of those are 3rd party support

1. The Switch was better marketed, not just better, but more clearly, the wii u just had tons of misconceptions and falsehoods being spread about it

2. The Switch is a fully formed concept, in many ways it is the same concept as the wii u, but the wii u was a half step, the switch is the fulfilled promise the wii u made... console gaming not tethered to a TV

3. ICONOGRAPHY - the switch is iconic, where as the wii u couldn't be more generic... the switch stands out and grabs attention, the wii u was DESIGNED to blend in and disapear... not nitnendo's bets idea

4. The switch's first year was filled with evenly spaced out great 1st party games, including 2 GOAT contenders, and the widely "no brainer" chosen GOTY across the industry was a launch game on the system

again, I am not sayign Nintendo should go it alone, but planning as if they were is what made the switch successful, the exact oposite of what youa re proposing... they didn't place their bets on 3rd parties, and as was always my final argument when I argued in favor of a hybrid... if the system is successful on its own (as Nintendo did with the switch) it WILL get support

the better strategy wans't to reach out to 3rd parties, but rather to offer a platform they couldn't ignore... and they did that on the strength of their first party efforts virtually alone.

also lets note that basically everythign said by you and others against the hybrid concept are just about the opposite of what Nintendo did to succeed... they didn't place a bet on hardware performance, they didn't significantly reach out to 3rd parties, they didn't emulate Sony and MS's online infastructure, and they didn't abandon gimmicks... hell they doubled down on them.. not only is the switch a modular system of sorts, but they launched it with bright asymmetric colors in the forefront instead of solid blacks, the parts that come off of the system hearkened back to the motion control ideals of the wii as well

while some fans were asking nitnendo to be like the other guys, to copy their online, to bet on power, to rely mostly on 3rd parties, and to cast gimmicks aside, Nintendo did pretty much the opposite, and as a result the switch is the fastest selling console of all time

so lets not try and rewrite the documentation of this history and say nintendo succeeded because they listened to "us"

that is bullshit

Odo

outside of indies Nintendo is pretty much going it alone with the switch right now
Yes, I know. I'm the one who said on the other topic that 3rd party content isn't better than Wii U's.

if you just looked at every Nintendo game coming out during the wii u years, and didn't focus on the platform, Nintendo's lineup was solid... but it was divided on 2 fronts..
Like it was for 30 years and it was never a problem?

I would argue that my prediction is more accurate to what Nintendo has done than your suggesting has...
What suggesting?

I've got no suggestions for Nintendo. I always wanted more genres in Nintendo consoles, but 3rd party parity isn't coming and never will.

Two different extremes.

Nintendo has to have 3rd party parity - I don't believe that
Nintendo only has to have it's own games, they sell the console - I don't believe that, or it would have worked for Wii U.

The problem of two fronts only exists now because Nintendo only has one front. For many it's a win, for me, it just show that Nintendo can't afford having two fronts like they afforded for 3o years.

NSW can sell 100m.

But Wii and DS sold 250m. It wasn't a problem for them.

hell, for non indy 3rd aporty support, the wii u blew the switch out of the water in its first year... Darksiders, Call of Duty, Arkham City, Assassin's Creed, etc...
I didn't get any RAP, but I said the same thing. Incredible how we agree on things. lol.

In the end, it did nothing for them, and the games didn't sell so that elusive 3rd party support disappeared...

The switch is succeeding where the wii u failed for several reasons... but NONE of those are 3rd party support

1. The Switch was better marketed, not just better, but more clearly, the wii u just had tons of misconceptions and falsehoods being spread about it

2. The Switch is a fully formed concept, in many ways it is the same concept as the wii u, but the wii u was a half step, the switch is the fulfilled promise the wii u made... console gaming not tethered to a TV

3. ICONOGRAPHY - the switch is iconic, where as the wii u couldn't be more generic... the switch stands out and grabs attention, the wii u was DESIGNED to blend in and disapear... not nitnendo's bets idea

4. The switch's first year was filled with evenly spaced out great 1st party games, including 2 GOAT contenders, and the widely "no brainer" chosen GOTY across the industry was a launch game on the system
Actually NSW is a primarily a handheld device and Nintendo always could sell handheld devices easily. It's not a difficult task for them.

System sellers will always exist and Nintendo has them, but still Nintendo's much more humble now that it was back then when they thought that they only need to put U to the Wii.

NSW is not just a "device with Mario" like a said, it was a response to a crisis, and that's why I say that they became humble and accepted the fact that they had to come up with better ideas and an extraordinary product. They had to take it seriously and they had to get rid of the console division to become a handheld company. That's what happened, they don't have two consoles any more. A clever move, but still a fact. They had to keep the business where they never fail: handheld. For that yes, Nintendo just need a handheld and Pokemon to survive as I said many times here in this thread.

I never said that Nintendo has to significantly look for 3rd party content, however NSW doesn't have as much 3rd party content because of lack of try. Because when NSW was announced, it came out with this:

So this is not Nintendo hearing you in just releasing Mario, but looking to bring 3rd party partners. They tried, they're trying.

About success. Yes, like I said before. Nintendo only need a handheld and Pokemon to have success I always said that. But not on home consoles. On home consoles, Mario isn't enough. Fact: Wii U sold only 13.5m units. This fact can't be discussed.

again, I am not sayign Nintendo should go it alone, but planning as if they were is what made the switch successful, the exact oposite of what youa re proposing... they didn't place their bets on 3rd parties, and as was always my final argument when I argued in favor of a hybrid... if the system is successful on its own (as Nintendo did with the switch) it WILL get support
What am I proposing?

Do you think that wanting Ubisoft, Activision, Bethesda is weird?

Guess what, look at this again:

Nintendo calling Activision as a PARTNER.

Isn't it getting a bit humble after Wii U dog poo situation?

Violent games like Doom? Who needs that? Nintendo fans don't like those brainless games.

Guess what. Doom comes out for NSW, and Nintendo fan base gets crazy. So much happiness they can't contain. They even say with proud

look here, we have DOOM, like PS4. switch is great. bought ten copies.

the better strategy wans't to reach out to 3rd parties, but rather to offer a platform they couldn't ignore... and they did that on the strength of their first party efforts virtually alone.

also lets note that basically everythign said by you and others against the hybrid concept are just about the opposite of what Nintendo did to succeed...
What they did to succeed was to release a 3DS successor: NSW.

so lets not try and rewrite the documentation of this history and say nintendo succeeded because they listened to "us"

that is bullshit
The documentation of this history is.

- They got that just putting U to the name of the console and releasing just Mario and Mario Kart doesn't work (didn't work for Wii U),
- they learned that they need tons of games, so they came up with 2017 line up which was really something else.
- they didn't just forget 3rd parties, at all. They call Activision and Bethesta partners. They put a Bethesda ad. They're not just ignoring completely 3rd parties any more.
- they got rid of the two fronts approach that worked for 30 years (why? because they can't any more, because they don't have enough man power to make game for both any more, because people don't develop SD games any more and they were struggling with HD development
- they said that would never make mobile apps and now they're making them

They became humble and learnt a lot.

Last edited:

GaemzDood

every time I pushed for Nintendo to have a hybrid it was never because I wanted the system in itself, but because it would unify Nintendo's development efforts on a single front... I wrote some articles about it and did my research, 1 year the wii u would have nothing much coming to it, but the 3ds was active, the next year the wii u would have some significant 1st party offerings, but the 3ds was lacking... and fans with both systems had to suffer gamers that weren't much but repeated concepts when a hit game formula on the 3ds would be repeated on the wii u and vice versa...

my argument has always been that Nintendo needs to ignore 3rd parties (not spurn them, just proceed as if they don't expect much from them) and adjust their resources on a single platform, specifically aiming to fill every hole in their lineup

I would argue that my prediction is more accurate to what Nintendo has done than your suggesting has... they filled out an incredibly impressive lineup nearly by themselves in 2017... sure there were some 3rd party ports, and indies... but c'mon that wasn't what sold the switch... the switch was a success because in 1 year they put out Zelda, Mario, Splatoon, Kart, etc.. and they spaced the releases out so that there was always something to talk about and play on the switch... THAT is why the switch sold.. not because they didn't go it alone... hell, for non indy 3rd aporty support, the wii u blew the switch out of the water in its first year... Darksiders, Call of Duty, Arkham City, Assassin's Creed, etc...

also lets note that basically everythign said by you and others against the hybrid concept are just about the opposite of what Nintendo did to succeed... they didn't place a bet on hardware performance, they didn't significantly reach out to 3rd parties, they didn't emulate Sony and MS's online infastructure, and they didn't abandon gimmicks... hell they doubled down on them.. not only is the switch a modular system of sorts, but they launched it with bright asymmetric colors in the forefront instead of solid blacks, the parts that come off of the system hearkened back to the motion control ideals of the wii as well

while some fans were asking nitnendo to be like the other guys, to copy their online, to bet on power, to rely mostly on 3rd parties, and to cast gimmicks aside, Nintendo did pretty much the opposite, and as a result the switch is the fastest selling console of all time

that is bullshit
Funny thing is that Skyrim is selling exceptionally well right now and continues to be in the best sellers list on Nintendo's site for months now, and Nintendo is actively encouraging developers to produce M rated titles for the console, which they are. AAA and indie are useless barometers; the fact is that the Switch is already seeing more mature titles in 2018 than the Wii U did in its second year. I'm documenting this in my "Switch omnibus" thread. In addition to that, the Switch already has a wider variety of genres to choose from. How many Western RPGs, Diablo-likes, visual novels, and *psychological* horror games were on the Wii U?
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._eager_to_see_more_mature_games_on_the_switch

And yes, the Wii U had a lot of 3rd party support at launch, but how many of those games had image quality and framerate issues? All of them.

GaemzDood

REmake and REmakeZero were flops? Last time I checked, they each sold well over one million copies, and RE4 was in the top 20 best sellers for GCN, so not too shabby. Viewtiful Joe was basically a half-million seller, but even still, sold more on GCN than PS2, despite the much higher install base of the latter. Killer 7 was definitely a flop though.
When compared to a majority of E rated GCN games, they sold like ass.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
What they did to succeed was to release a 3DS successor: NSW.
It's disingenuous to pretend that the Switch is merely a 3DS successor and that Nintendo "got rid of their console division". The reality is that a merge between both divisions was always desirable and is finally achievable.

Look at the gap from DS to 3DS: it had a modest improvement in processing power and had stereoscopic 3D. Now look at the gap between 3DS and Switch: it can now run games that require more processing power than Nintendo's latest home console and it can run the same games that are on competing home consoles (DOOM), without sacrificing portability. That's a bigger deal than the difference between the GBA and the DS. Other than 3D Graphics, the Switch's near-parity with current home consoles might actually be the biggest breakthrough for gaming systems since the first programmable ROM cartridges. Back then, going from having to buy a separate game console for each game to buying a lot of games for a single console was a massive deal. Now, going from a tethered to a fully portable system without limiting the selection of games available could be just as significant.

I know you won't accept it, but a handheld system that plays modern home console games isn't the same kind of handheld from the past. That's why the term Hybrid exists. Were you also reluctant to use the term smartphone when those started coming out?

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
That'd be an upgrade over the graphics of MHW, to be honest. These are some of the best animators and environment artists in the industry, but they chose to turn their own art into a dark, desaturated, and blurry mess. It feels like playing Monster Hunter with sunglasses on.

I love the game, but the graphics are the worst thing about it.

The distinction between an engine's graphical capabilities and the actual visuals of the game does more harm than good for the industry. It allows games that merely push numbers to find validation even though their game actually looks unappealing.

The art director made a choice that resulted in a muddy-looking game that loses the visual clarity of previous games in the same series. That shouldn't be given a pass just because the game is pushing polygons and particle effects.
Damn. It's really that bad in-person, in-motion? Everyone seems to be over the moon for Coral Highlands.

(But yeah, a desaturated color palette can make things look washed out and blurry. When I dreamed of "current gen" Monster Hunter in HD, it wasn't with Shadow of the Colossus's colors.)

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Damn. It's really that bad in-person, in-motion? Everyone seems to be over the moon for Coral Highlands.

(But yeah, a desaturated color palette can make things look washed out and blurry. When I dreamed of "current gen" Monster Hunter in HD, it wasn't with Shadow of the Colossus's colors.)
The frustrating part is not being able to appreciate the beautiful environments. All 4 areas I've opened are amazing, both in their level and visual design. But again, it's like watching it indoors with sunglasses on.

There have actually been times when I'm hitting a Rathalos, and after mounting him and hitting him for a while, I realize that I'm actually now hitting the Rathian that showed up uninvited, and Rathalos already left to a different area. The only reason I can tell is because the Rathian's tail hasn't been severed yet. This happened two or three times in the same hunt. They both look gray in the shade.

I wish I could play it on a PS4 Pro with HDR on to see if that makes it better. Maybe that's how the game was intended to be played. It would be nice to also not have the resolution drop to 720p every time I move my character the slightest bit, too.

Odo

It's disingenuous to pretend that the Switch is merely a 3DS successor and that Nintendo "got rid of their console division". The reality is that a merge between both divisions was always desirable and is finally achievable.

Look at the gap from DS to 3DS: it had a modest improvement in processing power and had stereoscopic 3D. Now look at the gap between 3DS and Switch: it can now run games that require more processing power than Nintendo's latest home console and it can run the same games that are on competing home consoles (DOOM), without sacrificing portability. That's a bigger deal than the difference between the GBA and the DS. Other than 3D Graphics, the Switch's near-parity with current home consoles might actually be the biggest breakthrough for gaming systems since the first programmable ROM cartridges. Back then, going from having to buy a separate game console for each game to buying a lot of games for a single console was a massive deal. Now, going from a tethered to a fully portable system without limiting the selection of games available could be just as significant.

I know you won't accept it, but a handheld system that plays modern home console games isn't the same kind of handheld from the past. That's why the term Hybrid exists. Were you also reluctant to use the term smartphone when those started coming out?
Yeah, you have a good point, I admit. The gap between then is huge.

and you're right when you say that I'm reluctant to use the term hybrid. Of course I know that NSW can play games at home and on the go, games like Zelda. Those who predicted that Nintendo would unify both fronts and come up with a solution to play home and on the go were obviously right.

but this is not a science description and words have power. The meaning of the word hybrid legitimise an idea for NSW that I disagree with. I can't review NSW as a hybrid console, because it's not as powerful as a current generation console and it's not as portable as a handheld console. It's a extraordinary device nonetheless, but it's as powerful as a tablet and it's a tablet that has a elegant solution to connect to TV. You can review NSW as home console hybrid, but I can review as a Apple TV 2 of sorts. An exceptional one, but that can't compare with modern game not only in terms of power, but in connectivity, tools, apps, advanced settings, cloud features, etc.

I don't say this a some PS4 fan that comes here to hate the console, because I am not. (I hated Wii U though). I review NSW this way as gamer who invested a lot in Nintendo, since SNES days. I have every single Nintendo console, except GC. I have dozens of virtual console games, some that I bought twice. I was a Wii U early adopter. Defended the system when everyone was hating it. When the system became I failure and I complained in forums and twitter, I had to hear from many Nintendo fanatics that it was my fault I shouldn't had had certain "expectations" . Really? After being a Nintendo fan for so many years? If I come here to criticise iPhone X, it's because I bought them all since the first one. I gave a lot of my money to Apple and also to Nintendo, a company that I cared about for decades. I think I've got the right to hate Wii U and to say that I can't call NSW a hybrid, let alone a true current generation console.

Goodtwin

I obviously disagree with Odo on Switch being a hybrid. It absolutely is a hybrid, and if you disagree, I would need to hear the criteria required for something to be a hybrid. It plays games on the go and on the tv, and makes it all seamless. To me it's not even an argument. Kind of like people arguing that the world is flat, it isn't, and yes there are loonies out there who believe the world is flat to this day.

What I do agree with is the reality that Switch is leaning on Nintendo's strength, portable hardware, more so than trying to compete directly in the console market. Basically, Switch is a 3DS successor with the added bonus of TV play.

Nintendo's fusing the two divisions is restructuring in response to the reality, Nintendo simply doesn't have enough demand in the market to support two platforms. Switch selling a 100 million units would be huge, but comparing that to SNES plus GB sales, it comes up well short, and Wii plus DS blows that figure out of the water. So I'm a way Nintendo is downsizing their presence as a hardware manufacture.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

GaemzDood

The frustrating part is not being able to appreciate the beautiful environments. All 4 areas I've opened are amazing, both in their level and visual design. But again, it's like watching it indoors with sunglasses on.

There have actually been times when I'm hitting a Rathalos, and after mounting him and hitting him for a while, I realize that I'm actually now hitting the Rathian that showed up uninvited, and Rathalos already left to a different area. The only reason I can tell is because the Rathian's tail hasn't been severed yet. This happened two or three times in the same hunt. They both look gray in the shade.

I wish I could play it on a PS4 Pro with HDR on to see if that makes it better. Maybe that's how the game was intended to be played. It would be nice to also not have the resolution drop to 720p every time I move my character the slightest bit, too.
I'm not sure if it's temporal reconstruction, and I really hope not because it's not like the game is even hitting 60 FPS, or if it's just really bad TAA that smears the image in motion due to things like poor motion vectors and causes lots of artifacts.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I'm not sure if it's temporal reconstruction, and I really hope not because it's not like the game is even hitting 60 FPS, or if it's just really bad TAA that smears the image in motion due to things like poor motion vectors and causes lots of artifacts.
I wouldn't know, but maybe you would know by the way that it takes effect: a second or two after you stop moving, the image becomes sharper. As soon as you start moving it becomes blurry again, until you've stopped for another second or two. I haven't tested it when there's a big monster nearby to see whether their motion stops the process.

To me it looks like it just climbs up to 1080p, but I guess it's possible that it's applying a sharpening filter or something like that. Watch this at 54:35, when the character runs to the item box and then stops there while picking up items.

GaemzDood

I wouldn't know, but maybe you would know by the way that it takes effect: a second or two after you stop moving, the image becomes sharper. As soon as you start moving it becomes blurry again, until you've stopped for another second or two. I haven't tested it when there's a big monster nearby to see whether their motion stops the process.

To me it looks like it just climbs up to 1080p, but I guess it's possible that it's applying a sharpening filter or something like that. Watch this at 54:35, when the character runs to the item box and then stops there while picking up items.

Devil May Cry 4 and Lost Planet: Extreme Condition on PS3 did something similar, except more rudimentary. In still shots with no movement whatsoever, there was anti-aliasing. In motion, the image started ghosting (even worse in LP since it was 30 FPS), smearing, and AA disappeared.

Look at Dante.

Here's a more egregious example.

Here's one of the few examples I could find from Lost Planet's awful PS3 port on Google Images.

EvilTw1n

I'm watching a vid of it now and...yeah, I can see how that is a problem.

I guess this is sorta the trial and error of making their first ground-up HD game.
What I do agree with is the reality that Switch is leaning on Nintendo's strength, portable hardware, more so than trying to compete directly in the console market. Basically, Switch is a 3DS successor with the added bonus of TV play.
The thing is, the 3DS is still out there, and Nintendo was still sneaking 3DS announcements in Directs even last summer/fall and doing Black Friday 2DS deals. And we're still not seeing like an isometric/2D Zelda announcement for Switch that would've been the 3DS's wheelhouse. It doesn't seem like they've quite decided to abandon that, like maybe they'll try to have a cheap handheld for lighter/kid-friendly fare and micro-consoles to supplement Switch business or something.

Personally, I see Switch as purely a hybrid, probably more of a portable Wii U than a 3DS successor. But I'm not the rest of the market, and they've been wanting a new piece of Nintendo hardware for years now.

Last edited:

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
I think I'll try to start making a special TNE exclusive monthly Media Create report, I think it'd better fit the size of the community and provide a better overall look at the market.

In the meantime here is a copy of my weekly Media Create for this past week (Feb 19 - Feb 25):
Numbers are from Japan only.

In this the 52nd week of the NS on the market the NS sold 39,696 bringing LTD sales to 3,757,827 and YTD sales to 445,208. The units sold are flat from last week, unfortunate they haven't started increasing stock levels yet, but at least the drops have come to an end (for now at least). About a year on the market now, just a few more days.

Bayonetta 2 (NS) saw sales drop -43% (-74% if you include Climax edition) this week to 5,443 for a total of 14,975 (26,669 with Climax edition). This gives a bit of hope for the legs of the NS version of Bayonetta 2 as the Wii U version had a drop of -82%, dropping from a much better first week total of 38,828 all the way down to 6,970.

Media Create Software:
01./01. [PS4] Monster Hunter: World # (Capcom) {2018.01.26} (Â¥8.980) - 53.982 / 1.890.273 (-37%)
02./00. [PS4] Girls und Panzer: Dream Tank Match # (Bandai Namco Games) {2018.02.22} (Â¥7.600) - 46.411 / NEW
03./00. [PS4] Metal Gear Survive (Konami) {2018.02.21} (Â¥4.980) - 31.359 / NEW
04./00. [PS4] Senran Kagura Burst Re:Newal # (Marvelous) {2018.02.22} (Â¥6.980) - 24.118 / NEW
05./03. [NSW] Splatoon 2 # (Nintendo) {2017.07.21} (Â¥5.980) - 19.501 / 2.062.345 (-11%)
06./06. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} (Â¥5.980) - 17.259 / 1.363.646 (-10%)
07./12. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild # (Nintendo) {2017.03.03} (Â¥6.980) - 12.252 / 883.780 (+4%)
08./11. [NSW] Super Mario Odyssey # (Nintendo) {2017.10.27} (Â¥5.980) - 11.639 / 1.626.145 (-8%)
09./05. [PS4] Dynasty Warriors 9 # (Koei Tecmo) {2018.02.08} (Â¥7.800) - 8.959 / 147.634 (-58%)
10./00. [PSV] Harukanaru Toki no Naka de Ultimate # (Koei Tecmo) {2018.02.22} (Â¥6.800) - 8.833 / NEW
11./10. [NSW] Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle (Nintendo) {2018.01.18} (Â¥5.980) - 8.634 / 151.225 (-32%)
12./15. [3DS] Pokemon Ultra Sun / Ultra Moon (Pokemon Co.) {2017.11.17} (Â¥4.980) - 8.614 / 1.566.656 (-8%)
13./09. [PS4] Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet # (Bandai Namco Games) {2018.02.08} (Â¥8.200) - 6.027 / 94.631 (-54%)
14./14. [NSW] Bayonetta 2 (Nintendo) {2018.02.17} (Â¥5.980) - 5.443 / 14.975 (-43%)
15./02. [PS4] Seiken Densetsu 2: Secret of Mana # (Square Enix) {2018.02.15} (Â¥4.800) - 5.336 / 41.378 (-85%)
16./00. [PSV] Tokimeki Restaurant: Project Tristars # (Koei Tecmo) {2018.02.22} (Â¥6.800) - 4.319 / NEW
17./18. [3DS] Mario Party: The Top 100 (Nintendo) {2017.12.28} (Â¥4.980) - 4.271 / 165.894 (-27%)
18./20. [NSW] 1-2-Switch (Nintendo) {2017.03.03} (Â¥4.980) - 4.215 / 403.972 (+1%)
19./17. [PS4] Dragon Ball FighterZ (Bandai Namco Games) {2018.02.01} (Â¥7.600) - 3.992 / 92.935 (-33%)
20./50. [PS4] Star Wars: Battlefront II # (Electronic Arts) {2017.11.17} (Â¥7.800) - 3.898 / 89.486

Media Create Hardware:
[table][tr=Grey][td]System[/td][td]This Week[/td][td]Last Week[/td][td]Last Year[/td][td]YTD[/td][td]Last YTD[/td][td]LTD[/td][/tr]
[tr=][td]NS[/td][td]39,696[/td][td]39,303[/td][td]-[/td][td]445,208[/td][td]-[/td][td]3,757,827[/td][/tr]
[tr=][td]PS4 #[/td][td]34,775[/td][td]49,502[/td][td]43,489[/td][td]593,013[/td][td]344,264[/td][td]6,485,416[/td][/tr]
[tr=][td]3DS #[/td][td]11,236[/td][td]10,160[/td][td]21,541[/td][td]129,393[/td][td]269,911[/td][td]23,952,172[/td][/tr]
[tr=][td]Vita[/td][td]5,017[/td][td]4,959[/td][td]10,704[/td][td]42,633[/td][td]107,006[/td][td]5,830,513[/td][/tr]
[tr=][td]X1[/td][td]274[/td][td]190[/td][td]469[/td][td]4,748[/td][td]1,289[/td][td]93,184[/td][/tr][/table]
Edit: Apparently the tables aren't working. Here are just this weeks sales then:
NS: 39,303
PS4: 34,775
3DS: 11,236
Vita: 5,017
X1: 274

3DS by model (last week):
New 2DS LL – 6,693 (5,778)
New 3DS LL – 3,693 (3,424)
2DS – 850 (959)

PS4 by model (last week):
PlayStation 4 – 29,392 (41,496)
PlayStation 4 Pro – 5,383 (8,006)

Sources: Gematsu / my sales archive / Reset Era

Media Create week 52 sales comparison (LTD):
NS:
39,696 (3,757,827)
Wii: 54,362 (3,870,665)
3DS: 94,667 (5,026,622)
Wii U: 28,518 (1,219,474)
PSV: 11,039 (1,074,621)
PS4: 21,381 (1,118,805)
NDS: 132,012 (3,774,084)
PSP: 92,121 (2,228,797)
PS3: 17,434 (1,246,201)

The 3DS becomes the first console to reach 5 million today, in addition the NDS has finally caught back up with the NS and will almost certainly stay ahead for the foreseeable future (I think forever).

Charts:

Last Week (Feb 12 - Feb 18) - Next Week (Feb 26 - Mar 4)

Last edited:
wait wait wait
you're telling me there was no complete sell-through of the Japanese Climax edition? I looked everywhere for an import copy across dozens of official online stores and got nothing, so I had to settle for a scalp purchase. JAPAAAANNN

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
I think I'll try to start making a special TNE exclusive monthly Media Create report, I think it'd better fit the size of the community and provide a better overall look at the market.

In the meantime here is a copy of my weekly Media Create for this past week (Feb 19 - Feb 25):

In this the 52nd week of the NS on the market the NS sold 39,696 bringing LTD sales to 3,757,827 and YTD sales to 445,208. The units sold are flat from last week, unfortunate they haven't started increasing stock levels yet, but at least the drops have come to an end (for now at least). About a year on the market now, just a few more days.

Bayonetta 2 (NS) saw sales drop -43% (-74% if you include Climax edition) this week to 5,443 for a total of 14,975 (26,669 with Climax edition). This gives a bit of hope for the legs of the NS version of Bayonetta 2 as the Wii U version had a drop of -82%, dropping from a much better first week total of 38,828 all the way down to 6,970.

Media Create Software:
01./01. [PS4] Monster Hunter: World # (Capcom) {2018.01.26} (Â¥8.980) - 53.982 / 1.890.273 (-37%)
02./00. [PS4] Girls und Panzer: Dream Tank Match # (Bandai Namco Games) {2018.02.22} (Â¥7.600) - 46.411 / NEW
04./00. [PS4] Senran Kagura Burst Re:Newal # (Marvelous) {2018.02.22} (Â¥6.980) - 24.118 / NEW
05./03. [NSW] Splatoon 2 # (Nintendo) {2017.07.21} (Â¥5.980) - 19.501 / 2.062.345 (-11%)
06./06. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} (Â¥5.980) - 17.259 / 1.363.646 (-10%)
07./12. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild # (Nintendo) {2017.03.03} (Â¥6.980) - 12.252 / 883.780 (+4%)
08./11. [NSW] Super Mario Odyssey # (Nintendo) {2017.10.27} (Â¥5.980) - 11.639 / 1.626.145 (-8%)
09./05. [PS4] Dynasty Warriors 9 # (Koei Tecmo) {2018.02.08} (Â¥7.800) - 8.959 / 147.634 (-58%)
10./00. [PSV] Harukanaru Toki no Naka de Ultimate # (Koei Tecmo) {2018.02.22} (Â¥6.800) - 8.833 / NEW
11./10. [NSW] Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle (Nintendo) {2018.01.18} (Â¥5.980) - 8.634 / 151.225 (-32%)
12./15. [3DS] Pokemon Ultra Sun / Ultra Moon (Pokemon Co.) {2017.11.17} (Â¥4.980) - 8.614 / 1.566.656 (-8%)
13./09. [PS4] Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet # (Bandai Namco Games) {2018.02.08} (Â¥8.200) - 6.027 / 94.631 (-54%)
14./14. [NSW] Bayonetta 2 (Nintendo) {2018.02.17} (Â¥5.980) - 5.443 / 14.975 (-43%)
15./02. [PS4] Seiken Densetsu 2: Secret of Mana # (Square Enix) {2018.02.15} (Â¥4.800) - 5.336 / 41.378 (-85%)
16./00. [PSV] Tokimeki Restaurant: Project Tristars # (Koei Tecmo) {2018.02.22} (Â¥6.800) - 4.319 / NEW
17./18. [3DS] Mario Party: The Top 100 (Nintendo) {2017.12.28} (Â¥4.980) - 4.271 / 165.894 (-27%)
18./20. [NSW] 1-2-Switch (Nintendo) {2017.03.03} (Â¥4.980) - 4.215 / 403.972 (+1%)
19./17. [PS4] Dragon Ball FighterZ (Bandai Namco Games) {2018.02.01} (Â¥7.600) - 3.992 / 92.935 (-33%)
20./50. [PS4] Star Wars: Battlefront II # (Electronic Arts) {2017.11.17} (Â¥7.800) - 3.898 / 89.486

Media Create Hardware:
[table][tr=Grey][td]System[/td][td]This Week[/td][td]Last Week[/td][td]Last Year[/td][td]YTD[/td][td]Last YTD[/td][td]LTD[/td][/tr]
[tr=][td]NS[/td][td]39,696[/td][td]39,303[/td][td]-[/td][td]445,208[/td][td]-[/td][td]3,757,827[/td][/tr]
[tr=][td]PS4 #[/td][td]34,775[/td][td]49,502[/td][td]43,489[/td][td]593,013[/td][td]344,264[/td][td]6,485,416[/td][/tr]
[tr=][td]3DS #[/td][td]11,236[/td][td]10,160[/td][td]21,541[/td][td]129,393[/td][td]269,911[/td][td]23,952,172[/td][/tr]
[tr=][td]Vita[/td][td]5,017[/td][td]4,959[/td][td]10,704[/td][td]42,633[/td][td]107,006[/td][td]5,830,513[/td][/tr]
[tr=][td]X1[/td][td]274[/td][td]190[/td][td]469[/td][td]4,748[/td][td]1,289[/td][td]93,184[/td][/tr][/table]
Edit: Apparently the tables aren't working. Here are just this weeks sales then:

2DS – 850 (959)

NS:
39,696 (3,757,827)

The 3DS becomes the first console to reach 5 million today, in addition the NDS has finally caught back up with the NS and will almost certainly stay ahead for the foreseeable future (I think forever).

Charts:

Awesome post! I went ahead and pinned it as an important post to check out over at our Discord Server for the next couple days! Glad to have you back!

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!

Media Create Software:

Media Create Hardware:

2DS – 850 (959)

NS:
39,696 (3,757,827)

Charts:

Thank you so much for doing this Techno! If you ever need any help with anything always never hesitate to ask.

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
wait wait wait
you're telling me there was no complete sell-through of the Japanese Climax edition? I looked everywhere for an import copy across dozens of official online stores and got nothing, so I had to settle for a scalp purchase. JAPAAAANNN
It sold out so the scalp purchase was unfortunately necessary if you wanted it. I was just including the Climax Edition's sales last week for the -74% drop.
Awesome post! I went ahead and pinned it as an important post to check out over at our Discord Server for the next couple days! Glad to have you back!
Thanks, it's good to be back on this forum.

Odo

My last sales post was about a comparison between the first year NSW, PS4 and 3DS. Now I want to look at the full 2017 numbers. Since NSW had only 3 quarters in 2017, I adjusted the others accordingly, but I'm also adding the full year for PS4 and 3DS.

2017 - NSW vs PS4 vs 3DS

PS4 16,5m
April to December (3Qs)

NSW 14,86m
March to December (launch month + 3Qs)

3DS 5,86m
April to December (3Qs)

PS4/3DS full year:

- PS4 19,4m
- January to December

- 3DS 6,68m
- January to December

2017 was a great year for consoles in general and an extraordinary start for NSW, the new player in the game.

PS4, the king of the mountain

Yes, that's incredible. A whooping jaw-dropping number of almost 20m units sold in a single year. No surprise. It's a result of an brilliant lineup of exclusive games, new games that don't look like recooked PS3 content and the decline of Xbox business.

I believe that right now Playstation has no competition. NSW is a strong player and has everything to hit 100m, but it's still a different thing. I don't see NSW stealing consumers from PS4 (nor vice versa).

The consoles armagedon

After the peak in the early Wii days and the slow start of PS4 generation, the media was all about iPhone/iPad taking over consoles. Well, it didn't happen and it won't. Consoles are still alive and it's one of their best years. It's a great time to be a gamer and with NSW I can see 2019 getting even better than this for the industry.

3DS is not dead

Yes. What else can I say? 3DS has survived Wii U and is still a strong player with an extraordinary library of games. I see myself still playing 3DS for the next 3 years.

NSW sales

It's 15m in less than a year and if we consider it a Nintendo handheld, its biggest franchise still hasn't come out: Pokemon. It's the true big AAA most powerful product for NSW that is still yet to come out.

This year, perhaps Nintendo won't have a lineup as great as 2017's, but if they manage to release Pokemon before 2019, they just don't need anything else to hit more than 15m in 2018, easily. I don't expect to see Pokemon this year, but it's absolutely possible if we consider that GameFreak may be coding it for more than 2 years now.

If Pokemon doesn't come out this year, I'd be a little bit conservative with sales for 2018, because the biggest cards are already on the table: Mario and Zelda. Without them and Pokemon, Nintendo will have to rely on smaller titles and the consumers that are out there and haven't adopted Switch in 2017. Somehow this first quarter has been almost empty for Nintendo while PS4 has been dominating. Still, I'm sure Switch will be rocking this year over again.

Microsoft

Not only Nintendo will thrive, but they may achieve something really unexpected soon: beating Microsoft.

I wondn't be surprised at all if Nintendo takes over the second place in the industry by 2019 Christmas or maybe earlier. Unless Microsoft has something we can't see coming, I don't see how Xbox One can hit a peak in its business in 2018. The gap will get smaller faster than we can notice.

GaemzDood

Microsoft needs to stop fucking around and release actual exclusives. Yes, the Xbox One X is an amazing console with phenomenal backwards compatibility support, but they need games. Bring back old IPs like Perfect Dark, Conker, MechAssault, Metal Wolf Chaos, RalliSport Challenge, Phantom Dust, and Project Gotham Racing. Make new IPs. Team up with Sega again and release new Jet Grind Radio & Panzer Dragoon games. Do something new with the current IPs: make an offroad rally Forza game, a tactical RTS Gears of War game in the vein of Dawn of War II, etc. Unfuck Halo and Dead Rising: Halo 5 and Dead Rising 4 were terrible games.

They have all of these gems they're just sitting on and they do nothing with them. I mean, Nintendo even resurrected Metroid Prime and Sin & Punishment; those games weren't exactly hits either.

Odo

Microsoft needs to stop fucking around and release actual exclusives. Yes, the Xbox One X is an amazing console with phenomenal backwards compatibility support, but they need games. Bring back old IPs like Perfect Dark, Conker, MechAssault, Metal Wolf Chaos, RalliSport Challenge, Phantom Dust, and Project Gotham Racing. Make new IPs. Team up with Sega again and release new Jet Grind Radio & Panzer Dragoon games. Do something new with the current IPs: make an offroad rally Forza game, a tactical RTS Gears of War game in the vein of Dawn of War II, etc. Unfuck Halo and Dead Rising: Halo 5 and Dead Rising 4 were terrible games.

They have all of these gems they're just sitting on and they do nothing with them. I mean, Nintendo even resurrected Metroid Prime and Sin & Punishment; those games weren't exactly hits either.
Microsoft is somehow in a sort of crisis, like Nintendo in the Wii U days. Nintendo got stuck and wasn't able to deliver enough content and so is Microsoft now. Microsoft has all this but got stuck.

It's just a hunch, but I'd say that Microsoft Co isn't into Xbox division any more. They're are losing the war on mobile phones and both Windows and Office aren't doing well. Even with Xbox is able to sustain itself, I see Xbox division alone in the dark.

They worked hard to release XOX but during the project they couldn't make anything new available for it. That's the situation now. XOX is kinda useless.

Shoulder

I think the issue with Xbox is an identity crisis. It wants to be the premiere console platform, but it does not have a lot of exclusives that warrant a purchase. It also suffers from the fact that most exclusives also end up on PC anyway, so what advantage do you gain by getting it on Xbox One? And finally, what real benefit does it sport over the PS4? Perhaps a slightly better online service, but I would wager that PS+ has been bridging that gap over the last few years (the free games every month are also a nice touch. Does XBL do something similar?).

PS4 is the go-to conventional console platform, the Switch is your ideal take-it-anywhere system, and the Xbox One is simply trying to stay relevant. Microsoft needs to revamp is what must happen. How exactly? Not sure, but I suppose they could start by releasing exclusive games for the Xbox One only. So games like Halo, Forza, and Gears of War are only available on Xbox, and no other platform, including PC.

Koenig

The Architect
All things considered, I think Microsoft would be happier and more profitable as a third party publisher. Unless they can turn around their console earnings by the end of the next generation it would probably make more sense for the focus on publishing games. To an extent they are already doing this with a handful of their games, not to mention that Windows and Xbox use much of the same code already.

Shoulder

All things considered, I think Microsoft would be happier and more profitable as a third party publisher. Unless they can turn around their console earnings by the end of the next generation it would probably make more sense for the focus on publishing games. To an extent they are already doing this with a handful of their games, not to mention that Windows and Xbox use much of the same code already.
Just for the record, a lot of people have said the same thing for years with Nintendo when they weren't doing so hot with the 3DS and Wii U, so don't write off Microsoft just yet.

I think the Xbox brand still has a place, but it must differentiate itself from PlayStation, while still offering competitive markets for the console industry.

Xbox is still an incredibly strong brand, sales aside. It's why they extend that name to other services, like Xbox Anywhere.
They've been last place since forever though

Odo

I think the issue with Xbox is an identity crisis. It wants to be the premiere console platform, but it does not have a lot of exclusives that warrant a purchase. It also suffers from the fact that most exclusives also end up on PC anyway, so what advantage do you gain by getting it on Xbox One? And finally, what real benefit does it sport over the PS4? Perhaps a slightly better online service, but I would wager that PS+ has been bridging that gap over the last few years (the free games every month are also a nice touch. Does XBL do something similar?).
That's one of the reasons I think the Xbox crisis comes from Microsoft Corporation strategy.

The thing is, when Microsoft sells Halo on Xbox or Halo on Windows 8, Microsoft still makes money. So, the corporation doesn't care.

It's been said that the current Microsoft president doesn't like Xbox very much and he almost got rid of it when he started his presidency. We don't know for sure, but I feel that Xbox division isn't really a crucial part of the current Microsoft global strategy anymore. They want to sell software: office and windows and when they don't release a game on windows 8 to keep it Xbox only, they're hurting windows and they can't do that, windows is already struggling in the OS market this days. So Xbox has to do something while they can't keep exclusive content. Whoever is heading Xbox, they don't have many choices.

Odo

Just for the record, a lot of people have said the same thing for years with Nintendo when they weren't doing so hot with the 3DS and Wii U, so don't write off Microsoft just yet.

I think the Xbox brand still has a place, but it must differentiate itself from PlayStation, while still offering competitive markets for the console industry.
Considering Microsoft as a corporation, what Koenig said makes sense.

Going third party would be bad for Xbox division, but not so bad for Microsoft that now needs to review all their products and services in this war against Android, Apple, Google, etc, because they're not coping very well. So, Xbox might become a nuisance for the company if they don't find a vision for it. We don't exactly know about Xbox profits, but selling Xbox wouldn't be really crazy. Just keeping releasing the most powerful console ever won't be enough.

Koenig

The Architect

True, although Nintendo is primarily a game development company, whereas most of Microsoft's excursions are in the publishing territory. They do still have the Xbox brand though, which is why I included the disclaimer about first failing the next generation.

The catch though is that Microsoft has already released games on other systems; their exclusives serve only to build the Xbox bran; If the Xbox brand reaches the point that it would be more profitable to release games on other systems it might be wise for them to do so. Microsoft (at least up to this point) has shown little to no interest in game development nor console innovation like Nintendo, nor is gaming anywhere near their most profitable division like it is for Sony; they have no loyaties or reasons to remain a direct contender in the console market (Save for providing competition itself)

Odo

The catch though is that Microsoft has already released games on other systems; their exclusives serve only to build the Xbox bran; If the Xbox brand reaches the point that it would be more profitable to release games on other systems it might be wise for them to do so. Microsoft (at least up to this point) has shown little to no interest in game development nor console innovation like Nintendo, nor is gaming anywhere near their most profitable division like it is for Sony; they have no loyaties or reasons to remain a direct contender in the console market (Save for providing competition itself)
That's why I don't want Xbox to crash.

I don't see myself buying an Xbox for the foreseeable future, but I still want 3 players in the market. In fact, I'd love to see a 4th player.

Shoulder

I don't see myself buying an Xbox for the foreseeable future, but I still want 3 players in the market. In fact, I'd love to see a 4th player.
Agreed. Despite the fact I don't ever plan on getting an Xbox One, I want it to succeed, and honestly, it's not selling that bad. I hear some folks saying how it's a failure, and sure, compared to the PS4, it is, but in retrospect, it's still hanging in there.

A 4th player would be interesting, although I wonder if that would just oversaturate the market. Having three big players I think is the sweet spot without trying to flood the market with shovelware. Remember the first two generations in gaming from 1972 to 1982? I think there was maybe a dozen different competitors that tried to have a slice of the pie, and with the exception of Atari, the rest of them faltered.

The first big three were Atari, Nintendo, and Sega. Then after Atari went under as a console manufacturer, Sony was the next big guy in the ticket with Nintendo, and Sega remaining. After the financial failure of the Dreamcast, Sega was out in the console wars, and Microsoft took their place, leaving both Nintendo and Sony.

Basically, if another company decides to step in, one of the current big three will likely leave, and if I'm honest, Microsoft might be the one.

However...

It could be possible for Microsoft to sell off the Xbox brand to another corporation, which would leave MS to continue with software for the brand if they wanted to, but handing off the reigns to a different company for the hardware side of things. Not exactly ideal, but could be possible.

I do believe the Xbox brand itself has staying power; I do wonder though if Microsoft will be the only player controlling it.

GaemzDood

Sega could theoretically be that if they didn't release a bunch of trash games within the last couple of years that forced the expulsion of long time developers and partial company takeovers.

GaemzDood

Agreed. Despite the fact I don't ever plan on getting an Xbox One, I want it to succeed, and honestly, it's not selling that bad. I hear some folks saying how it's a failure, and sure, compared to the PS4, it is, but in retrospect, it's still hanging in there.

A 4th player would be interesting, although I wonder if that would just oversaturate the market. Having three big players I think is the sweet spot without trying to flood the market with shovelware. Remember the first two generations in gaming from 1972 to 1982? I think there was maybe a dozen different competitors that tried to have a slice of the pie, and with the exception of Atari, the rest of them faltered.

The first big three were Atari, Nintendo, and Sega. Then after Atari went under as a console manufacturer, Sony was the next big guy in the ticket with Nintendo, and Sega remaining. After the financial failure of the Dreamcast, Sega was out in the console wars, and Microsoft took their place, leaving both Nintendo and Sony.

Basically, if another company decides to step in, one of the current big three will likely leave, and if I'm honest, Microsoft might be the one.

However...

It could be possible for Microsoft to sell off the Xbox brand to another corporation, which would leave MS to continue with software for the brand if they wanted to, but handing off the reigns to a different company for the hardware side of things. Not exactly ideal, but could be possible.

I do believe the Xbox brand itself has staying power; I do wonder though if Microsoft will be the only player controlling it.
I would hate for the Xbox to leave. The consoles themselves, save for the original Xbox One model, are all brilliant. The OG Xbox is miles ahead of the GameCube when it comes to multiplatform games and content preservation; it was the first console to support 16:9 aspect ratios and 720p/1080i outputs, and when putting games like Tony Hawk in 480i and 720p side by side, the latter looks like a remaster.

Each Xbox console has been consecutively ahead of its time. Whether it be the Xbox's and 360's unified memory or the Xbox One's hardware emulator quality, Microsoft has a habit of future proofing their consoles for the sake of game preservation, and that's something to appreciate.

Shoulder

If I'm honest, I think on of the biggest issues with the Xbox One is the name itself. Microsoft can explain all the reasoning behind it, possibly saying it's an all-in-one system or something, but to the eyes of a consumer, calling it the One sounds backwards compared to the 360.

Odo

Each Xbox console has been consecutively ahead of its time. Whether it be the Xbox's and 360's unified memory or the Xbox One's hardware emulator quality, Microsoft has a habit of future proofing their consoles for the sake of game preservation, and that's something to appreciate.
I agree, I also appreciate their efforts to always try to create the most powerful console. Someone needs to do that in the industry.

I not only would hate to see Xbox leaving the building, but I think it'd be dangerous for the market. Markets with two players usually get too bloody or too boring.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
I agree, I also appreciate their efforts to always try to create the most powerful console. Someone needs to do that in the industry.

I not only would hate to see Xbox leaving the building, but I think it'd be dangerous for the market. Markets with two players usually get too bloody or too boring.
there are a ton of players with capital vastly beyond what MS has now that are considering a play in gaming

Apple, Google, and Amazon have all dipped their toes, but never made a real push.. all 3 of those companies absolutely dwarf MS right now

Valve is a much smaller company, but if they could figure out how to make a steambox console that actually makes sense they would be a credible threat... like instantly, because they already have the library.. their issue seems to be casualizing their offerings... PC gamers don't want a cheaper less up-gradable box, and console gamers don't want to buy into a hobby in which they need to learn a lot in order to properly buy, and use a system.. Valve's last push was a total failure because of 3 things... this which I just mentioned, the fact that they released through3rd parties which further confused the potential audience, and the reliance on Linux, which not enough developers and publishers were willing to push into.

I don't think any of those 4 players would step in legit with 3 incumbents in the market, but if ms, sony, or nintendo (who are we kidding it would be MS) dropped out all 4 might step in hard...

Odo

there are a ton of players with capital vastly beyond what MS has now that are considering a play in gaming

Apple, Google, and Amazon have all dipped their toes, but never made a real push.. all 3 of those companies absolutely dwarf MS right now

Valve is a much smaller company, but if they could figure out how to make a steambox console that actually makes sense they would be a credible threat... like instantly, because they already have the library.. their issue seems to be casualizing their offerings... PC gamers don't want a cheaper less up-gradable box, and console gamers don't want to buy into a hobby in which they need to learn a lot in order to properly buy, and use a system.. Valve's last push was a total failure because of 3 things... this which I just mentioned, the fact that they released through3rd parties which further confused the potential audience, and the reliance on Linux, which not enough developers and publishers were willing to push into.

I don't think any of those 4 players would step in legit with 3 incumbents in the market, but if ms, sony, or nintendo (who are we kidding it would be MS) dropped out all 4 might step in hard...
Why didn't they? I wonder. Perhaps selling a 60-100m units device in a very specialised field like gaming isn't worth their time.

Shoulder

Why didn't they? I wonder. Perhaps selling a 60-100m units device in a very specialised field like gaming isn't worth their time.
Perhaps too much R&D to devote right now. Microsoft took years to recoup their R&D costs from both the OG Xbox and 360. Not sure how things are with the Xbox One, and XBX though. I do recall that both Sony and Microsoft tended to be in the red when it came to their gaming divisions, mostly because of their reliance on new tech, versus Nintendo with their withered tech approach. Remember that Sony had to sell off a bunch of their divisions during the hard times of the PS3, and I believe Microsoft had to do the same.

Odo

Mario, MK and Zelda worldwide total sales

Super Mario

Super Mario Galaxy
12.76m

Super Mario Odyssey
9.07m

Super Mario 3D World
5.75m

Mario Kart

Mario Kart Wii
37.02m

Mario Kart DS
23.60m

Mario Kart 7
16.76m

Mario Kart 8
8.40m

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
7.33m

Zelda

The Legend of Zelda: Twiligth Princes
8.85m

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
6.70m

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
4m

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
1m

PS: Skyward Sword, ALBW have approximations

When do you think BotW will beat TP?
What about SMO beating Galaxy?

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I don't want to take the honor of posting sales data from @Odo, but I want to talk about some sales tidbits from the latest investors' meeting.

Software Sales (as of March 31st, 2018):
Super Mario Odyssey – 10.41 million units
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 9.22m
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild – 8.48m
Splatoon 2 – 6.02m
1-2 Switch – 2.29m
ARMS – 1.85m
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 – 1.31m
Kirby Star Allies – 1.29m

Considering mainline Mario games have pretty long legs, I'd say Odyssey is going to surpass Galaxy's sales soon.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe outsold the Wii U version in less than a year despite being only a "Deluxe" edition of the same game.

Breath of the Wild for Switch is second only to Twilight Princess for Wii. But if you combine the sales of all the versions for each Zelda game, BotW (Switch and Wii U) is second only to Ocarina of Time (N64 and 3DS).

Splatoon 2 already sold better than Splatoon 1 did (4.70M according to VGChartz). It doesn't compare to the massive sales of games like Overwatch, Counter Strike, and Call of Duty, but it ain't bad for a single platform game.

ARMS sold in less than one year almost as much as Street Fighter V had sold across all platforms in its first two years. Granted, Street Fighter V had a bungled launch (and it didn't really become a full game until the release of Arcade Edition), but it also has a 30 year history as a brand. Not bad at all for a brand new fighting game IP.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 sold better than XCX, but is a few hundred thousand copies behind the first Xenoblade Chronicles (if you combine the 3DS versions). This is according to VGChartz, of course.

Kirby gonna Kirby. :mmischief:

Also, the Switch sold 17.79 units in its first year (and four weeks). The Wii was somewhere around 20M in a similar time frame. It's worth noting that the Switch only had one holiday period, while the Wii had two holiday periods in the same time frame. The PS4 sold somewhere close to 18.5M in a similar time frame since its release.

Conclusion: Holy shit.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Considering those sales numbers, I want to speculate something. If Nintendo knows that they can consistently make games that sell better than previous games in their respective franchises (best Zelda seller since Ocarina of Time, best Mario seller since who knows when, and so on), they might feel more confident bringing back old franchises that had been shelved. F-Zero could actually happen. Star Fox Zero Deluxe could repair the damage from the Wii U game. Metroid Prime 4 might sell better than any other Metroid game ever, bringing it back to the front lines as a flagship Nintendo game.

And something that might be more exciting than that, is that Nintendo could have more confidence in new IPs than ever before. What other crazy ideas do Nintendo designers have that wouldn't be approved in the Wii era but would be approved since the success of Splatoon and ARMS? Would these be in the form of more cutesy co-op games like Cardboard Yoshi or in the form of hardcore single player games that are closer to Metroid and Dark Souls?

VGchartz is incredibly off. Look at their totals for Switch games up until now and compare it to Nintendos report. Its bad.
I think you can find direct numbers from Nintendo to compare games with others in the same franchise. I had heard that Breath of the Wild was the best selling game in the series.

Odo

VGchartz is incredibly off. Look at their totals for Switch games up until now and compare it to Nintendos report. Its bad.
I think you can find direct numbers from Nintendo to compare games with others in the same franchise. I had heard that Breath of the Wild was the best selling game in the series.
I meant waiting for more numbers from Sony and Microsoft. Now that Switch has one year, it's gonna be much easier to compare numbers. I still haven't read Nintendo's full numbers though. The numbers I post here are always official.

Personally I follow VGC though, it's still fun.

EvilTw1n

Splatoon 2 already sold better than Splatoon 1 did (4.70M according to VGChartz). It doesn't compare to the massive sales of games like Overwatch, Counter Strike, and Call of Duty, but it ain't bad for a single platform game.
It isn't Destiny or Battlefield, but 6 million is pretty astonishing to me. Nintendo has kept Metroid around all of these years with sales below that. Splatoon could be a marquee mascot game for the younger generation of gamers.