Nintendo Switch Sales Super Thread

Odo

It's also astonishing how well NSW sales have been since January.

I can't find any big, original, new, AAA, release for NSW since XCX2, really.

I guess all the people in the world that didn't give a danm to Wii U and missed all its releases, are now picking them up for NSW.

Koenig

The Architect
It definitely it feels like the Switch is coasting, but at 100 Miles Per Hour (160 Kilometers for you international folk). It certainly helps that for any non wii U owner practically all of the ports coming out right now are functionally brand new them. The only people who have nothing "new" right now are the Wii U only crowd from last gen (Raises hand) but even then there are a number of indie titles to serve as appetizers.

Still, I really hope Nintendo has something big to surprise us with this year. The switch is riding high right now, but it needs steady stream of games like BoTW and Odyssey if it wants to stay on top.

Odo

Considering those sales numbers, I want to speculate something. If Nintendo knows that they can consistently make games that sell better than previous games in their respective franchises (best Zelda seller since Ocarina of Time, best Mario seller since who knows when, and so on), they might feel more confident bringing back old franchises that had been shelved. F-Zero could actually happen. Star Fox Zero Deluxe could repair the damage from the Wii U game. Metroid Prime 4 might sell better than any other Metroid game ever, bringing it back to the front lines as a flagship Nintendo game.

And something that might be more exciting than that, is that Nintendo could have more confidence in new IPs than ever before. What other crazy ideas do Nintendo designers have that wouldn't be approved in the Wii era but would be approved since the success of Splatoon and ARMS? Would these be in the form of more cutesy co-op games like Cardboard Yoshi or in the form of hardcore single player games that are closer to Metroid and Dark Souls?
They should work on a deal for Razor 2

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
It's also astonishing how well NSW sales have been since January.

I can't find any big, original, new, AAA, release for NSW since XCX2, really.

I guess all the people in the world that didn't give a danm to Wii U and missed all its releases, are now picking them up for NSW.
I was just talking to will about this before we started our podcast...

But there has been 1 big release this year... Labo

It might not be for us, but it is definitely a big release

But before that it was all ports and indies for 4 fucking months

Honestly, I think the next non port non indie game I am looking forward to comes out in fucking July... Octopath

But besides my taste... What is coming out between now and then that isn't a port or indie? ... I count multiplats but only if they have a simultaneous release

I don't have a list in front of me, but I think it is only mario tennis aces... Is there something else?

Because if not... That is only 2 games for the first half of the year, and a 3rd kicking off the 2nd half.

Odo

I was just talking to will about this before we started our podcast...

But there has been 1 big release this year... Labo

It might not be for us, but it is definitely a big release

But before that it was all ports and indies for 4 fucking months

Honestly, I think the next non port non indie game I am looking forward to comes out in fucking July... Octopath

But besides my taste... What is coming out between now and then that isn't a port or indie? ... I count multiplats but only if they have a simultaneous release

I don't have a list in front of me, but I think it is only mario tennis aces... Is there something else?

Because if not... That is only 2 games for the first half of the year, and a 3rd kicking off the 2nd half.
Although Labo was huge release, Nintendo's still in a drought of new AAA games considering the last 4 months.

After this year of remasters, I want to see the real power of "unifying developing efforts". I know they have their hands full now (quite, I guess, since remasters aren't that difficult), but in 2019 I hope I can see Nintendo delivering at least 12 big AAA games.

Goodtwin

It definitely it feels like the Switch is coasting, but at 100 Miles Per Hour (160 Kilometers for you international folk). It certainly helps that for any non wii U owner practically all of the ports coming out right now are functionally brand new them. The only people who have nothing "new" right now are the Wii U only crowd from last gen (Raises hand) but even then there are a number of indie titles to serve as appetizers.

Still, I really hope Nintendo has something big to surprise us with this year. The switch is riding high right now, but it needs steady stream of games like BoTW and Odyssey if it wants to stay on top.

Yep, as Wii U owners, many of the releases haven't been all that exciting for us. If I want to play DKC TF, I will just pop it in my Wii U and play it. For Switch owners who didn't have a Wii U, that is a mighty fine release. I enjoyed Hyrule Warriors on Wii U, but I have no interested in buying it a second time. So there is no question that for us, this is a pretty decent drought.

For me personally it hasn't been a big deal as I have had other time consuming activities occupying my free time as of late. That's not to say I haven't been gaming, but titles like Sky Force Reloaded were perfect for pick up and play sessions that never made you feel like you are committed. I stay away from starting bigger titles if I don't feel like I can invest time into it consistently until I finish it. There is just a different vibe to starting a game like Bayonetta compared to playing some Splatoon or Mario Kart. I also still have a few titles I haven't picked up yet such as Skyrim. The next big release for me is Wolfenstein 2, although Ruunner 3 is high on my list as well. Switch being portable has increased my appetite for games that fit nicely into my lunch hour during the week.

Odo

It's not a big deal for me personally either, cause I'm not playing Nintendo anymore, aside from some old games on Wii U and 3DS. Although I may get interested in some of the releases for this year to add to my wish list, I'm not picking up a NSW before 2019. Small titles for NSW are either not in my wish list or available for PS4, so when I pick up one NSW, will be only for about 10 exclusive titles. Pokemon could be a game changer, mind you.

Goodtwin

https://www.newsweek.com/nintendo-switch-sales-records-black-friday-1235472

Nintendo hasn't backed down from its 20 million in sales goal for the fiscal year. A seemingly impossible goal when in two quarters they have only sold a little more than 5 million units. While its true that this goal is very optimistic, it also isn't completely out of the question to accomplish it. Pokémon Pikachu and Eve have already broken some records, and Smash Bros releases next week. These are two IP's that are going to move a lot of hardware this Christmas. Starting next week I wouldn't be shocked to see weekly sales figures in Japan that are close to half million a week. December is going to be huge. If this type of success is replicated globally, we could easily see 7-8 million units sold in December. I believe this success and momentum could carry into 2019, and bring a better than normal Q4 for Nintendo. Honestly though, even if Switch comes up well short of Nintendos forecast, it will still be on pace to mirror the early success of the PS4, and that is nothing to short change.