Nintendo ? There you are !

Ex-Actarus

Is it me we did not have a Nintendo Direct since... E3 2015 ? That's a pretty long span if you ask me. Nintendo has been incredibly quiet ! I understand there was the whole Iwata replacement to address. I understand as well that it is a transition period now until the next platform ; and Nintendo tends to be very quiet during those transition periods...

Still... We're just weeks away from the busiest period of the season and you have no Nintendo Direct ? No announcement of any kind ?

And where the hell is the Wii U price cut ? It's been exactly 2 years since the last price cut. it's more than about time to drop the Wii U price especially when both the PS4 and Xbox One can be found at 350$ or pretty much only 50$ more than a Wii U...

Nintendo it's time to show up !

EDIT : THE NINTENDO DIRECT ID BACK !!! So let's the HYPE begin :)

So I've updated the thread title accordingly...

Last edited:

Aki

I doubt that the Wii U will get a price cut anytime soon. Definitely not before the NX announcement. They probably figure that it's better to keep profiting off of the system at the current price then gamble by slashing the price. Just because it gets a pricecut doesn't mean that it will sell better. At one point, SEGA was literally giving away the Dreamcast for free and it did nothing to help sales.

81jono81

Yeah, I'm not sure a price cut would do anything at this point. The Wii U's financial woes go much deeper than its price.

As for the Direct... I'm starting to agree. It's been a LONG time since we've heard anything, and I completely understand why, but almost four months? I expect a pretty big Direct at this point.

Ex-Actarus

Yeah, I'm not sure a price cut would do anything at this point. The Wii U's financial woes go much deeper than its price.

As for the Direct... I'm starting to agree. It's been a LONG time since we've heard anything, and I completely understand why, but almost four months? I expect a pretty big Direct at this point.
I don't think a 50$ pricecut would hurt them that much. The Wii U has been on the market for 3 years. They're certainly making a big profit on each Wii U sold. However, if you don't sell, what's the point of having a margin rich product ?

The situation is not looking good :
1. Both Sony and Microsoft cut the prize of their console
2. You have TONS of HUGE titles coming this holidays season on PS4 and Xbone.
3. You don't have ANY big Wii U titles for the holidays... NOT ONE !!!

So in the light of all this, I think a pricecut is mandatory. They could offer a Mario pack with Mario Kart 8 and Super Mario Maker for 250$. That would help drive sales this holidays.

I'm wondering if Nintendo is not just relying too much on Amiibo for the holidays...

Last edited:

Aki

I don't think a 50$ pricecut would hurt them that much. The Wii U has been on the market for 3 years. They're certainly making a big profit on each Wii U sold. However, if you don't sell, what's the point of having a margin rich product ?

The situation is not looking good :
1. Both Sony and Microsoft cut the prize of their console
2. You have TONS of HUGE titles coming this holidays season on PS4 and Xbone.
3. You don't have ANY big Wii U titles for the holidays... NOT ONE !!!

So in the light of all this, I think a pricecut is mandatory. They could offer a Mario pack with Mario Kart 8 and Super Mario Maker for 250$. that would helps drives sales this holidays.

I'm wondering if Nintendo is not just relying on Amiibo for the holidays...
To me it seems like Nintendo has been relying on Amiibo ever since they released them, especially, when you consider how anemic their release schedule is.

Edit: Also, to further back that point up, one of their bigger releases in the upcoming months is an Animal Crossing game focused on Amiibo.

Last edited:

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
That's the thing. The Wii-U wouldn't sell well, even if they sold them for like $100, so why drop the price at all? This isn't like the situation with the PS3, where the price was the biggest issue. There are far more severe issues that have lead to the Wii-U's disastrous sales numbers. A $50 probably wouldn't hurt them too much but it also wouldn't help them either

Goodtwin

A 50 dollar price cut is a huge deal. How much profit to you think Nintendo nets per unit? I can't imagine more than $100 per unit, so reducing half it's profit margin per unit is certainly a big deal. Especially considering these is no saving the Wii U at this point. It's all about maximizing profits on what they have, and they are doing that.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
They could have a big Wii U title this holiday in Xenoblade Chronicles X if they sell it right...

Believe in me...
They could be selling it as big as Skyrim if they even tried, to be honest. XCX is probably the biggest game Nintendo has ever made or published, but they refuse to throw any hype behind it. Then again, the limited sales it will get from the system it's on pretty much make marketing it a waste of money. I hope it at least sells enough for Nintendo to let MonolithSoft keep making these monster games.

Odo

They could have a big Wii U title this holiday in Xenoblade Chronicles X if they sell it right...

Believe in me...
Nintendo didn't believe in Xenoblade Chronicles back in the days! The best Wii RPG!

Would they believe in X? No way. They believe in amiibo.

Besides, it's a danm RPG. They don't sell tons since the 90's and it won't sell tons on Wii U. It's not MK/Smash material even though it seems to be a marvel.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Besides, it's a danm RPG. They don't sell tons since the 90's and it won't sell tons on Wii U. It's not MK/Smash material even though it seems to be a marvel.
I don't think this is true anymore, and it's why I brought up Skyrim. Skyrim, a cheesy fantasy RPG that has no right appealing to a mass audience, sold 3.8M on PC, 6.2M on PS3, and 8.5M on Xbox. That's in big part because of the marketing and the media hype. That way of thinking you had is no doubt what Nintendo is using to justify the lack of marketing for XCX, but the reality of the popularity of franchises like Elder Scrolls and Fallout is hitting them right in the face.

XCX is looking to be bigger and more polished than Skyrim. Nintendo should at least try to market it.

They could be selling it as big as Skyrim if they even tried, to be honest. XCX is probably the biggest game Nintendo has ever made or published, but they refuse to throw any hype behind it. Then again, the limited sales it will get from the system it's on pretty much make marketing it a waste of money. I hope it at least sells enough for Nintendo to let MonolithSoft keep making these monster games.
I still think they should market it. They marketed Splatoon and Mario Maker, and they sold great. I don't get why Nintendo markets some games and not others.

Odo

I don't think this is true anymore, and it's why I brought up Skyrim. Skyrim, a cheesy fantasy RPG that has no right appealing to a mass audience, sold 3.8M on PC, 6.2M on PS3, and 8.5M on Xbox. That's in big part because of the marketing and the media hype. That way of thinking you had is no doubt what Nintendo is using to justify the lack of marketing for XCX, but the reality of the popularity of franchises like Elder Scrolls and Fallout is hitting them right in the face.

XCX is looking to be bigger and more polished than Skyrim. Nintendo should at least try to market it.
I hope so! Really.

In fact, XC was a great RPG for newbies. It's has tons of action, great story, it's easy to learn the mechanics. I believe XCX will be the same.

If there's a RPG that should be popular, is Xenoblade.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018

I think he meant specifically for JRPGs. Aside from Final Fantasy and maybe a few others, JRPGs aren't too huge these days. I definitely think Xenoblade Chronicles has potential to do well if it's marketed well as people definitely liked it but the JRPG is a tad niche

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I think he meant specifically for JRPGs. Aside from Final Fantasy and maybe a few others, JRPGs aren't too huge these days. I definitely think Xenoblade Chronicles has potential to do well if it's marketed well as people definitely liked it but the JRPG is a tad niche
Well, the JRPG isn't always what it used to be. XCX is pretty far from a game like Tales of Symphonia, it's really not so blatantly what you'd call a JRPG (just like Skyrim is pretty far from old WRPGs, or cRPGs, like Planescape Torment or Divine Divinity). Because of that, it's up to them how they market it. They can market it as a JRPG if they don't want it to sell, or as a huge Sci-Fi RPG if they do want it to sell.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
Well, the JRPG isn't always what it used to be. XCX is pretty far from a game like Tales of Symphonia, it's really not so blatantly what you'd call a JRPG (just like Skyrim is pretty far from old WRPGs, or cRPGs, like Planescape Torment or Divine Divinity). Because of that, it's up to them how they market it. They can market it as a JRPG if they don't want it to sell, or as a huge Sci-Fi RPG if they do want it to sell.
That is true, it's not quite like most JPRGs. However, I kind of get the feeling that the Wii-U's install base kind of limits the games sales potential as it's not quite as in line with Nintendo's other games

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
It's really quite simple. Market XCX as a Sci-Fi RPG like Fallout 3 was, and it'll actually have a fighting chance of selling. If you sell it as a typical JRPG, it won't garner hardly any interest. The JRPG genre is way too niche in the Western market I think.

Now sure, you might bring up Final Fantasy as an exception, but that is an established franchise and has been for decades. Xenoblade Chronicles X is merely a spiritual successor to a vastly under appreciated Wii game that only had a limited run of copies, and no advertising in the US, and was only sold here in the first place because of Operation Rainfall. Nintendo had no intention of ever selling XC here in the states because they thought it would not have sold anything, and yet the game was already translated for the PAL market, so it wouldn't have been that much of an extr cost to bring it over.

I seriously hope XCX gets a Direct in the coming weeks. Dec 5th is fast approaching, and it would be a shame if Nintendo missed a prime opportunity to market XCX properly for its EU and NA releases.

Just this trailer for example would work (albeit condensed into a 30-sec spot)

You could very well bring in the Fallout, Skyrim, Mass Effect, and maybe even the Destiny crowd if this game were marketed properly.

Odo

I hope this new investor meeting brings something cool to see. Maybe information about when they're going to reveal NX and some information about mobile titles.

But what I want is Zelda foooootaaageeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Ex-Actarus

Finally ! It's been such a long time... 5 months ? I don't think we had such a long span between Nintendo Direct before.

Ok here are my "reasonable" expectations :

- Wii U pricecut
I know that Nintendo is probably making a huge margin by the selling a 3 years console just 50$ cheaper than the launch price. But what's the point of such rich margin if you don't sell systems ? And trust me, if the Wii U stays at price, it won't sell ! Not against PS4 and Xbox One around at 350$ !

- Lots of Xenoblade
I expect lots of Xenoblade Chronicles X coverage. Afterall, that's the biggest Nintendo game of the holiday period ! I won't be surprised that Nintendo announces a demo for the game. They really need to step up marketing for the game. It's coming in 1 month time and we haven't seen much really.

- New content for Smash, Mario Kart 8 or Splatoon
I think this is a safe bet. Nintendo promised to support those games for many months to come. The DLCs for those games have been very popular and successful. So that's a no brainer

- Twilight Princess HD
That's the worst kept secret in the industry. We ALL know it's coming. Nintendo said recently they still had games to announce. Zelda Wii U was delayed. That's the perfect moment to announce the game.

- A new 3DS game
Nintendo said they had "several" unannounced games. I would expect a 3DS game. If I had to make a bet, it would be Pokemon Z. We'll see.

- Official release date for Starfox
I would also expect a new release date ( and maybe new footage ) for Starfox. My guess, March 2016.

- No NX news
Nintendo said 2016, they'll stick to that. Again, I just expect a NX game trailer during the VGX in December, but that's all really.

Please Nintendo, I don't want to see federation force footage.

Gimme Zelda U!
If I was Nintendo I would just make that game a free-to-play. The backlash was to great, there is no way that game will sell, to much negativity around it.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
I can't say I'm expecting much from this Direct. I mean, most of the big stuff for this year would've been announced during E3 or previous Directs, unless Nintendo held back some surprises for...some strange Nintendo-ish reason

Goodtwin

I have so much optimism for this direct that it borders on insanity. :mgrin: I could honestly see this being bigger than E3 this year. This is how, Zelda TP HD and Pikmin 4 are both announced and given release dates. Star Fox Zero is given a release date and online multi player is show off in a trailer. New DLC is announced for early 2016 for Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros, and they also confirm that more free DLC for Splatoon will continue into 2016, including new maps. Obviously they will highlight their holiday lineup. Finnally, they close with a trailer for Zelda U. Borner line insanity? Yea........I will go check myself in.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I have so much optimism for this direct that it borders on insanity. :mgrin: I could honestly see this being bigger than E3 this year. This is how, Zelda TP HD and Pikmin 4 are both announced and given release dates. Star Fox Zero is given a release date and online multi player is show off in a trailer. New DLC is announced for early 2016 for Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros, and they also confirm that more free DLC for Splatoon will continue into 2016, including new maps. Obviously they will highlight their holiday lineup. Finnally, they close with a trailer for Zelda U. Borner line insanity? Yea........I will go check myself in.
I like where this hype train is going.

Odo

C'mon guys, you know it's going to be just Amiibo, Mario Tennis, Amiibo, no NX, amiibo, no mobile game, amiibo, some xenoblade, Amiibo, some pokemon, amiibo, smash characters for $99,99 each, amiibo, maybe a new game without release date, amiibo and some amiibo.

Ex-Actarus

I know that I shouldn't... But I'm starting to get HYPED.

Twilight Princess is one of my favorite game, so to see it in HD, just that would be incredible :)

But is there something else special ?