Nintendo VS Sega, Sony, Microsoft: Who was the best rival?

Menashe

This is a two part question:
1) Which of the rivals Nintendo has faced off against over the years were you most fond of?
2) Which provided the toughest competition?

DarkDepths

Your friendly neighbourhood robot overlord
The rival that I liked the most is definitely Sega. My friend had a Genesis and spent many an hour playing on it. Really though, we never deviated very far from Sonic or Clay Fighters.

On the question of who has provided the toughest competition? I guess I'd pretty much have to say Sony. The PS2 sold very well, and the PS3 is starting to do the same, now that it's hit its stride. Microsoft has done well in North America and parts of Europe, but they don't have near the global influence that Sony does in regards to the home console market. Similarly, Sony is the only company still active that is really pressuring Nintendo's handheld business. I mean, sure, Nintendo might dominate that sector, but Sony is really the only other company that is in the running.

Sega did well for awhile, but I don't know that there was ever any real chatter of Sega forcing Nintendo out. I think Sony is the only company that's really been able to do that, as unrealistic as it might be.

Menashe

I remember playing Clay Fighters on the SNES, so apparently it wasn't a Sega exclusive. But, I do remember after the Genesis came out it was neck and neck with the SNES right at the beginning and then with Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat, the SNES pulled ahead and never looked back with release after release.

I think Sega is the one I'm most fond of. Nintendo vs Sega was legendary and really the people who won that generation were us the gamers.

Sony is the only company that has won generations of video games (making it the toughest competition), whether it was because of marketing, media hype or games... it's up for debate.

Microsoft is kind of like "going with the flow" They follow the leader in a way, if the rumors are true about the 720.

Ex-Actarus

I know it will be tempting to say Sega. There was always some respect between Nintendo and Sega. I think Nintendo fans miss those "civilized" days

But the truth is that the best competitor for Nintendo has been Sony. It has been dirthy, but at least that huge challenge has forced Nintendo to be more innovative and to change its strategy drastically.

Menashe

"Ex-Actarus" wrote: I know it will be tempting to say Sega. There was always some respect between Nintendo and Sega. I think Nintendo fans miss those "civilized" days

But the truth is that the best competitor for Nintendo has been Sony. It has been dirthy, but at least that huge challenge has forced Nintendo to be more innovative and to change its strategy drastically.
Sony has definitely been the toughest competition. I've actually been surprised at Microsoft's success with the Xbox, so I can't write them off. When the Xbox was first announced people groaned because it seemed there was no way Microsoft could ever portray themselves as cool rather than geeky, a computer company trying to take over the world. But, with Halo, everything suddenly changed. When you make good games, people come to play them. So, it jumped into the competition from day one. Plus, it had the ability to market itself as the console with the best graphics in that generation.

However, seeing as Sega was a part of many childhoods, and have created some beloved franchises, it's nice to think of them as being a great competitor to Nintendo. I'm really surprised Nintendo has lasted this many decades and such fierce competition. I hope they have the wherewithal to withstand the changes happening within technology, whether it's against popular mobile devices or cloud computing. No one knows where this industry is heading. Let's just hope Nintendo survives it all and continues making the games we love and providing the industry with the innovation it needs.

Ex-Actarus

"Menashe" wrote:
"Ex-Actarus" wrote:I know it will be tempting to say Sega. There was always some respect between Nintendo and Sega. I think Nintendo fans miss those "civilized" days

Sony has definitely been the toughest competition. I've actually been surprised at Microsoft's success with the Xbox, so I can't write them off. When the Xbox was first announced people groaned because it seemed there was no way Microsoft could ever portray themselves as cool rather than geeky, a computer company trying to take over the world. But, with Halo, everything suddenly changed. When you make good games, people come to play them
. So, it jumped into the competition from day one. Plus, it had the ability to market itself as the console with the best graphics in that generation.
I'm not sure of that Menashe... I mean it it was the case Sega would still be around as a console manufacturer. I mean the amount of stunning games on Dreamcast was amazing : Shenmue, NFK 2K, Phantasy Star Online, Soul Calibur, Jet Set Radio, Skies of Arcadia, etc. But Sega failed miserably. So I think you nedd the good games and a incredible marketing behind it. You mention Halo, I remember the hype for Halo, it was something. And what to say about Halo 2 ? That's the game that started that day 1 and midnight thing. I remember I was working in a call center at the time and half of the guys were sick the days after the release of the game ( including me
).

"Menashe" wrote:
However, seeing as Sega was a part of many childhoods, and have created some beloved franchises, it's nice to think of them as being a great competitor to Nintendo. I'm really surprised Nintendo has lasted this many decades and such fierce competition. I hope they have the wherewithal to withstand the changes happening within technology, whether it's against popular mobile devices or cloud computing. No one knows where this industry is heading. Let's just hope Nintendo survives it all and continues making the games we love and providing the industry with the innovation it needs.
I think Nintendo will survive thanks its strong franchises. I mean Mario and Pokemon are the best selling franchsess outhere and Call of Duty and GTA won't catch them anytime soon. Sega best selling game was Sonic 2 with 6 million copies... Super Mario 3D Land already reached that number !!! New Super Mario Bros Wii sold more than Call of Duty Black Ops, 360, PS3 and PC versions "combined" !!! So Nintendo is fine. I just hope that they will adapt to the growing threat that is the IOS / Android market

beanboy

I'll answer both questions with one answer.
Definitely Sega. They were always like the true, legit competition for Nintendo, that also like nintendo, have alot of memorable characters, and innovative 1st party titles. While the other companies like for example Sony, interestingly always had to use fake hype tricks, and over exaggerated marketing hype tricks, to outsell both nintendo, sega, and other rivals. And strangely enough, those tricks always worked in Sony's favour.

Last edited: