Nintendo "working on sleep tracking alarm clock with a built-in projector"

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
So say the sketches and rumors.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/nintendo-working-sleep-tracking-alarm-155408385.html#JZNHKHu

The data collected will be used to assess the user’s emotional state and calculate their daily ‘sleep score’, with the results being projected on the wall or ceiling.

It’s not entirely clear whether the gadget is a dock for the user’s smartphone or a two-part gadget, but it appears to include a built-in set of speakers in the alarm clock-like base unit.

The patent application says: “The portable terminal detects sensor information for assessing a user’s emotions. It would be permissible, as an example, for the sensor information to be sound information which is detected by a microphone, or image information which is captured by a camera. The information processing system assesses the user’s emotions on the basis of the sensor information.”

The patent sketches show the very early stages of development, so if the product makes it into the shops it is likely to look considerably different.

The tracker is rumoured to part of Nintendo’s ‘Quality of Life’ wellbeing initiative, which is set to launch in 2016.

Needs to come in the shape of Mario's mustache in order to be the most Nintendo product ever.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
the perfect device for ensuring the woman who slept over last night will NEVER come back.

at first the QOL thing sounded kinda stupid to me. now it seems extremely stupid to me.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
There's a little more than what that Nintendo UK article posted, and the actual patents certainly don't make any mention of a "sleep score", that's interpretation from the journalists themselves. That said, it still looks odd, unintuitive, and dull. I don't imagine this is the entire breadth of what their little server machine will do.

http://nintendoeverything.com/some-patents-of-nintendos-quality-of-life-platform/

Yesterday, several patents relating to Nintendo’s planned Quality of Life platform were published. As was previously announced, they mostly seem to center around monitoring the user’s health via non-wearable devices. Of course, as is the case with all patents, it seems unlikely that all of these will appear in exactly these forms in the final product(s), but it’s nonetheless an interesting look at what Nintendo has plannend.

"This information processing system comprises a portable terminal. The portable terminal detects sensor information for assessing a user’s emotions. It would be permissible, as an example, for the sensor information to be sound information which is detected by a microphone, or image information which is captured by a camera. The information processing system assesses the user’s emotions on the basis of the sensor information. The portable terminal detects the sensor information in a period when the said portable terminal is in a standby state. As an example, the said standby state is a state wherein a display of the portable terminal is off."

"This display system is provided with a sensor, a projector, and a control means. The sensor detects user information for calculating a state relating to sleep of a user. The user information is, for instance, biological information, such as pulse rate. The projector displays, by means of projection, a predetermined image. For instance, the projector displays, by means of projection, an image on a ceiling by projecting the image upward. The control means controls the projector corresponding to the sleep-related state calculated on the basis of the user information."

"A terminal system acquires physiological information from a user and transmits transmission information to a server system, said transmission information including the physiological information and/or health information relating to the health or the body of the user, obtained from said physiological information. The server system associates the transmission information received from each terminal system, and/or information obtained from said transmission information, with the user, and stores these as stored information. The server system also stores conditions relating to the generation of provided information, to be provided to the user in order to improve metrics obtained from the stored information, or metrics included in the stored information. The provided information is generated on the basis of the stored information and the conditions, and is transmitted to the user’s terminal. The server system performs an analysis of transmission information acquired after the provided information has been provided, for a plurality of users that have received the provided information, and updates the conditions on the basis of the analysis results."

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
There are two separate systems up there. One of them includes a projector into which a smart device docks, and either the projector or the smart device then processes and transmits the data to Nintendo's servers, and viceversa. Possibly, if you stop breathing for periods of time while sleeping, the data would be sent to Nintendo's servers and come back and tell you that you have sleep apnea; or it could just tell you in the morning how deeply you slept throughout the night.

The other system shows the Balance Board transmitting data wirelessly to a docked tablet, which then sends the data to Nintendo's servers. So it could tell you if you sleep better when you lose weight, along with the sentence, "DUH, MORON".

So it seems to me what Nintendo are trying to patent here is the concept of physiological data being captured and sent by some device, not necessarily Nintendo's own, to Nintendo's servers, which then send back data for the devices to do something with. I'm not sure that's something they can patent, as that is already being done by many companies with smartphones. I have a "sleep cycle alarm" app on my smartphone that detects my motion throughout the night, stores it, and uses it to wake me up as gently as possible during a period of time of my choosing (if I want to wake up by noon, it will look for my most active period starting at 11:30 and ring the alarm when I'm on the lightest sleep possible).

The appeal here is not the device or the structure of it, anyway. The appeal is that Nintendo is good at making stupid things engaging, so even if my smartphone app is dull and doesn't hold my attention, Nintendo's software might actually hook me the way their games do, or at least just enough to push me into healthy sleeping habits in this case.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
I want this with voice chat so I can wake Matt up every morning.

I'd be like

"maaaaattt.... psssst..... wakey wakey buddy... matt.. come on big guy, we got lots to do today.... go back to sleep mrs. C, just wakin up matt for ya... MATT GET THE FUCK UP

maaatttt....."

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I want this with voice chat so I can wake Matt up every morning.

I'd be like

"maaaaattt.... psssst..... wakey wakey buddy... matt.. come on big guy, we got lots to do today.... go back to sleep mrs. C, just wakin up matt for ya... MATT GET THE FUCK UP

maaatttt....."
The sound of your silky smooth voice might put me back to sleep. Even if you were cussing me to get up

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
So glad they are putting off the QoL for now (or forever). I just wasn't sure where they were going with that, and I personally would rather them focus on gaming.
NX and some specially designed games for mobile.