Nintendo's Youtube Channel & Why I Think Advertising On It Didn't Work....

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
https://www.youtube.com/user/Nintendo/featured

Nintendo's youtube channel has been Nintendo's go to place to advertise their products this entire generation....

And some fans have been totally ok with that....

But has it been successful for Nintendo in terms of advertising...?

Well, upon closer inspection, Nintendo's Youtube channel would seem to be a complete failure in terms of views....

16194501.jpg

I mean, at most, on average these vids are getting in the 500k + views range.... Just skimming through the channel, the average seems to be in that range....

That's not very good considering the amount of views some successful channels recieve....

It's one of those things where, how do you gauge the success of the channel in terms of advertising...?

Well, as far as I can tell, if the advertising of products on this channel were successful, it would be reaching well outside the spectrum of gamers, like those who don't own a Wii U, or any console for that matter....

Did this channel successfully do that...? The answer would have to be no imo....

13288859_1025394134162495_1732070230_n.jpg

The Nintendo Directs average between 500k - a litte over a million views....

The most viewed Direct to date was this Splatoon one....

@ 4.2 million views....

upload_2016-5-25_13-37-21.png

Just a short glance at the bottom of its own channel page shows you just how much more views other youtubers are getting playing and talking about Nintendo games....

Compared to these guys, even 4 milion views is kinda meh....

Nintendo seemed to only advertise to fanboys this entire generation in terms of audience....

It would seem they couldn't break through that bubble to reach a wider audience of gamers or non gamers....

And a huge part of that imo had to do with this mostly youtube only strategy this gen with the Wii U....

So I was saying the other day to someone, well, the Nintendo Directs were a complete failure....

And that if Nintendo continued down this mostly youtube only path, that it would help lead to the failure of NX....

And they said to me, well, I don't think that is the case....

I said ok, I'll be right back....

And I came here to write this thread....

So I ask you, the people of TNE, what do you think...?

Do you think Nintendo's strategy with the Directs was a success...?

If so, why...?

If you agree with me about it failing, then why...?

What do you think Nintendo did wrong...?

What could it have done to make this youtube heavy advertising campain more succesful...?

Cause I'm having trouble seeing the good this strategy did Nintendo this gen....

What say you...?

Last edited:

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/Nintendo/featured

Nintendo's youtube channel has been Nintendo's go to place to advertise their products this entire generation....

And some fans have been totally ok with that....

But has it been successful for Nintendo in terms of advertising...?

Well, upon closer inspection, Nintendo's Youtube channel would seem to be a complete failure in terms of views....

View attachment 3140

I mean, at most, on average these vids are getting in the 500k + views range.... Just skimming through the channel, the average seems to be in that range....

That's not very good considering the amount of views some successful channels recieve....

It's one of those things where, how do you gauge the success of the channel in terms of advertising...?

Well, as far as I can tell, if the advertising of products on this channel were successful, it would be reaching well outside the spectrum of gamers, like those who don't own a Wii U, or any console for that matter....

Did this channel successfully do that...? The answer would have to be no imo....

View attachment 3141

The Nintendo Directs average between 500k - a litte over a million views....

The most viewed Direct to date was this Splatoon one....

@ 4.2 million views....

View attachment 3142

Just a short glance at the bottom of its own channel page shows you just how much more views other youtubers are getting playing and talking about Nintendo games....

Compared to these guys, even 4 milion views is kinda meh....

Nintendo seemed to only advertise to fanboys this entire generation in terms of audience....

It would seem they couldn't break through that bubble to reach a wider audience of gamers or non gamers....

And a huge part of that imo had to do with this mostly youtube only strategy this gen with the Wii U....

So I was saying the other day to someone, well, the Nintendo Directs were a complete failure....

And that if Nintendo continued down this mostly youtube only path, that it would help lead to the failure of NX....

And they said to me, well, I don't think that is the case....

I said ok, I'll be right back....

And I came here to write this thread....

So I ask you, the people of TNE, what do you think...?

Do you think Nintendo's strategy with the Directs was a success...?

If so, why...?

If you agree with me about it failing, then why...?

What do you think Nintendo did wrong...?

What could it have done to make this youtube heavy advertising campain more succesful...?

Cause I'm having trouble seeing the good this strategy did Nintendo this gen....

What say you...?
Nintendo's issue has been they are always trying to cater to everyone, and unfortunately, what ends up happening is they cater to the Nintendo faithful, as well as younger gamers. The other problem with this is that does not make a good portion of the gaming community. In fact, the average demographic for gamers these days is in that 25-40 year range, which is far past kids. With the exception of the Nintendo faithful (which the majority of them are in that age range), that just will never fly.

Another thing is like I said earlier, Nintendo caters to everyone, and while on paper that is good, I get the impression it feels more like the spork, or perhaps even all-season tires. It's trying to do multiple things, but it ends up becoming mediocre at everything. The only silver-lining I've give is Nintendo still makes fantastic games, but they just cannot seem to get gamers on board with it, and some of their more recent decisions about Online have baffled more people than the Higgs Boson. Part of the issue is their own hardware, and insistence on using new forms of control methods to play games. I get that over time, games can become stale, but in some respects, the way we traditionally play games, with a controller, or a KB/M if you're a PC gamer, what is wrong with that? We don't watch movies really with a lot of gimmicks, and I'd say moviegoers are perfectly content with that. If the movie sucks, it's less about how it was filmed (3D for example), and more likely because the script sucked harder than Chloe Sevigny in The Brown Bunny. That being said, some 3D movies have sucked because of the use of 3D, but there's hardly been movies where you're required to watch them in 3D, and Nintendo seemingly like to do the equivalent of requiring you to watch a movie in 3D.

Nintendo loves to play the game of new concepts and a "new way of gaming," but with the exception of VR, which I honestly don't think will take off like some people think, I just don't know how Nintendo can change up the formula this time. As far as VR is concerned, it will most likely have a great initial launch with a few good games that genuinely do enhance the experience. I also can see horror games being the bread and butter, just like FPS were for the Wii, so there's that. But in the end, I think VR will end up like HD-DVD and Betamax, and more recently...the Wii U: Commercial failure.

FriedShoes

MLG
what do they change? More ads on TV? Easy fix, nothing gained or lost really. A presentation is not gonna gain them bigger status either.
Whats not taken into account are that trailers are often spread across the internet, through reuploads on various gaming sites. Their exclusive content is cute, but not big at all, I agree.
Lets talk about sustainability. Their first Treehouse stream peaked high and held steady at iirc 700k viewers across the three days. Thats nuts, for glorified lets plays.

Nintendo Directs take over Twitter, their streams take over across Twtich and Youtube, these are important stuff to them.

If Wii U was a success, you'd see those numbers do higher, but they failed from the outset, it hindered their potential massively.

MANGANian

Megalomaniacal Robo-Zombie
I think it's unfair to just sum up the views of the Directs from youtube alone. I no longer watch it on twitch but I believe it's streamed there as well. As for more exposure with a crowd, Nintendo really doesn't need to seek out coverage for the masses as they're well known to everyone. But I do think that their shared monetization plan was ill-informed and did more harm than good.

During the Wii's run Gameplay videos of Ninty games were everywhere. Now, it's just something you see occasionally.