No Wii U online for me it seems

the_randomizer

I seem to be experiencing some extremely rotten luck when it comes to playing Mario Kart 8 online. Yesterday, I managed to play three matches, it ran perfectly and never dropped once, but it seems that it was nothing buy a fluke. Why is it a fluke you ask? Well, for starters, I tried to do the same today, only this time, I managed to find a couple of friends online and attempted to join their games. Well, I do so, and go into spectator mode while I wait to be placed in the game, as luck would have it, four times, the connection dropped at different points in the match, during spectator mode, during the first match, during the stage selector, and during the second match. Four f***ing times, I lost the connection, even with random people.

I don't know what the deal is, why I'm having so many damned issues and the inability to play a single online match today. Reason I'm making this thread is I need to explain it better, but also to get some suggestions as to what I can do to alleviate the issue. Oddly enough, Miiverse, eShop, Friend's List, Netflix, YouTube all work fine, that I can't explain, but they hardly ever disconnect. Yet online matches do, and I'm thinking it's just enough to kill the wireless connection. Now, I do have a router about 3 meters from the Wii U itself, and they do have Ethernet inputs. Would the Wii U USB Ethernet adapter be a better solution, since I clearly can't trust the instabilities of the wireless in my apartment complex.

I'm incredibly frustrated at the inability to go online on a stable connection, it's annoying, and almost makes me regret getting the damned game, you know? My roommates now are much more into games, but I only have two controllers, would you suggest I get a couple of Wii U Controller Pros so we can have four people, or wait till the Gamecube adapter? Sorry I know this is tldr, I just need to vent my frustrations and the feeling of being left out from awesome matches, that's all. Just need a viable solution.

The adapter I'm looking out is said to work with Wii U
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=103&cp_id=10311&cs_id=1031102&p_id=9468&seq=1&format=2

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/eforcit...1305852325.p?id=mp1305852325&skuId=1305852325

To make matter worse, I feel bad for those who went through the trouble of adding me, and seeing as I can't go online without it freaking out, yeah, it's just plain pitiable I think. I'm annoyed as hell and feel bad that I can't join in on the fun, unless Ethernet's the only way to go with the adapter. Just rubs me the wrong way. You guys are most likely sick of my crybaby rants about things not working out :(

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Now some adapters say they will work when they don't ask @CitizenOfVerona

Now I have my WiiU hardwired and while I wish I had the official Nintendo adaptor I have the Nyko Ethernet adaptor.

All that said it 100% took care of my connection issues.

the_randomizer

Now some adapters say they will work when they don't ask @CitizenOfVerona

Now I have my WiiU hardwired and while I wish I had the official Nintendo adaptor I have the Nyko Ethernet adaptor.

All that said it 100% took care of my connection issues.
Dayum, are some of them really that shoddy? I've gotten products from Monoprice and they've been very reliable, not sure about the adapter though. I see the Nyko one here http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...lp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all&tag=donations09-20 but that price seems a little steep, but it works with the Wii U. Would I just go from the console to one of the RJ-45 inputs on the router and away I go?

The Nintendo USB adapter is $25 https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/us/p...false&productId=prod10279&categoryId=cat10007

It's just frustrating.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I'll let CoV answer your question about if some work or not.

And I'll agree with you that yes this process your going thru is frustrating. BUT when you get it all setup and your on the other end hopefully your like me where now I wouldn't have it any other way. It's flawless

the_randomizer

I'll let CoV answer your question about if some work or not.

And I'll agree with you that yes this process your going thru is frustrating. BUT when you get it all setup and your on the other end hopefully your like me where now I wouldn't have it any other way. It's flawless
I certainly hope so. The other potential issue is the connection speed might not be enough. Right now, I have the free Google Fiber package, which is 5 mbps. Not terrible I can stream HD videos on Netflix and YouTube without problem, but is it enough to actually do online gaming, that's what I want to find out. Wireless here however, is very, very unstable and drops faster than an anvil, so I cannot trust it at all. Do you think CoV will post soon to fill me in with more info on how to set it up, which device to get, etc?

@Mike D. sent me an adapter or. I can't remember if it was Nyko or Nintendo, but it worked great. The wireless internet from my old bedroom was shit, but once I got an adapter it worked flawlessly.

Basically, plug in the adapter in a usb port, and plug in the ethernet cat5 able into the adapter from your internet router and thats it.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Using an ethernet cable can definitely help. If the problem is just the Wii U wi-fi (which we know is bad compared to that of other systems), then going the ethernet route will definitely help. But if the problem is your ISP, going hardwired might not help, but I don't know what could be done in that case.

the_randomizer

@Mike D. sent me an adapter or. I can't remember if it was Nyko or Nintendo, but it worked great. The wireless internet from my old bedroom was shit, but once I got an adapter it worked flawlessly.

Basically, plug in the adapter in a usb port, and plug in the ethernet cat5 able into the adapter from your internet router and thats it.
Cool, I'll do just that, I hate the wireless here, it's very painful and unbearably slow, driving me to insanity lol :D

Setting it up is no problem, this old caveman did it himself.

What he can tell you is what connectors to stay away from.
Dammit, sorry about that , I pressed the wrong rating by accident but gave you a thumbs up!

Using an ethernet cable can definitely help. If the problem is just the Wii U wi-fi (which we know is bad compared to that of other systems), then going the ethernet route will definitely help. But if the problem is your ISP, going hardwired might not help, but I don't know what could be done in that case.
ISP isn't the issue, as my desktop (Ethernet) works just fine, it's the wireless that sucks ass, as there are numerous wireless devices (phones, etc) interfering, which doesn't help the issue. My ISP is Google, so they're pretty reliable, I know what the issue isn't.

ZyroXZ2

While I provide this as anecdotal evidence of my own, I have found the WiFi on the Wii U to be extremely good. Granted my router is a rather powerful one, and is only one room away, I'd say the wireless connection of the Wii U is very capable. It's range may be a problem (not tested), or the router itself might not like the Wii U.

Also, I made an adjustment to my Wii U to match my provider's MTU size, and that created slightly more latency, but increased stability (less skipping around and stuff, made my KDR in CoD go WAY up!)

Edit: Grammar fix

Last edited:

the_randomizer

While I provide this as anecdotal evidence of my own, I have found the WiFi on the Wii U to be extremely good. Granted my router is a rather powerful one, and is only one room away, I'd say the wireless connect of the Wii U is very capable. It's range may be a problem (not tested), or the router itself might not like the Wii U.

Also, I made an adjustment to my Wii U to match my provider's MTU size, and that created slightly more latency, but increased stability (less skipping around and stuff, made my KDR in CoD go WAY up!)
So, I uh, seems I was only partially right on this issue. Well, it turns out I can in fact, play with people online. Going against anyone, as opposed to people I have in the NNID list, is far more stable, with it rarely dropping. When I try to connect with a friend, it will work, but it will drop several times before I get into a match, so it seems to be dependent on my hardware as well as the host's; if it sucks, everyone else will get the communication error. The problem wireless in my complex is shaky, no necessarily from the router per se, but from the myriad of smartphones and laptops using WiFi, it only exacerbates the issue and there's not much I can do. So, in order to eliminate the wireless variable, I'll eventually get the Ethernet LAN adapter for the Wii U, this way, I can ensure stability. So to sum up, I can in fact connect online well enough for the most part, but it will drop a lot if I play against friends. Why, I don't know, it's very strange. Apparently many people on IGN and other sites have reported sporadic dropping, so I'll go with Ethernet.

ZyroXZ2

So, I uh, seems I was only partially right on this issue. Well, it turns out I can in fact, play with people online. Going against anyone, as opposed to people I have in the NNID list, is far more stable, with it rarely dropping. When I try to connect with a friend, it will work, but it will drop several times before I get into a match, so it seems to be dependent on my hardware as well as the host's; if it sucks, everyone else will get the communication error. The problem wireless in my complex is shaky, no necessarily from the router per se, but from the myriad of smartphones and laptops using WiFi, it only exacerbates the issue and there's not much I can do. So, in order to eliminate the wireless variable, I'll eventually get the Ethernet LAN adapter for the Wii U, this way, I can ensure stability. So to sum up, I can in fact connect online well enough for the most part, but it will drop a lot if I play against friends. Why, I don't know, it's very strange. Apparently many people on IGN and other sites have reported sporadic dropping, so I'll go with Ethernet.
I wouldn't be surprised if it could also be on your friend's end... To be honest, I think a lot of people were experiencing the dropping issue because of the serious load on the server from the initial 1.2 million people. I mean, let's just supposed only 50% of them got online over the weekend, that's still 600,000 people playing online at once, and for reference, CoD at its peak times across all platforms only hits around 200,000 (though CoD also experiences connectivity issues at launch due to the exorbitant number of players, and they're PREPARED for this kind of thing!). I'd say we'll be seeing connectivity issues for awhile, because MK8 is coming in hot!!! :p

the_randomizer

I wouldn't be surprised if it could also be on your friend's end... To be honest, I think a lot of people were experiencing the dropping issue because of the serious load on the server from the initial 1.2 million people. I mean, let's just supposed only 50% of them got online over the weekend, that's still 600,000 people playing online at once, and for reference, CoD at its peak times across all platforms only hits around 200,000 (though CoD also experiences connectivity issues at launch due to the exorbitant number of players, and they're PREPARED for this kind of thing!). I'd say we'll be seeing connectivity issues for awhile, because MK8 is coming in hot!!! :p
That would explain why the first day was good, second day sucked, today was pretty good, guess it's one of those things that'll work itself out eventually, but yes, the game is selling at a very good rate! :D