Not excited for Wii U

running_in_jam

Videogame Sound Designer and Composer
#1
Part of the reason haven't partaken in many discussions lately is because I'm not hyped for the Wii U.

The most likely reason is that I know I won't be buying it for a while (more urgent things to spend my cash on). So it's not that I find the console underwhelming, but truth be told I am disappointed about the lack of a real Nintendo heavy hitter. Pikmin 3 is great, but it won't be out for a while and NSMB doesn't interest me.

On top of that, I'm not really finding the 3rd party entries particularly overwhelming. Perhaps if it had titles likes Borderlands 2, Dishonored or Bioshock Infinite on it's way I would be a lot more interested. What I mean is, the newer games; the games people are looking forward to.

This isn't a topic made for persuasion, because I can't afford one period. I intend to get one in a year or so. However, is anyone else feeling the same dissatisfaction?

Of course when it actually comes out, and MiiVerse is explained, I'm probably going to be drowning in my tears of poverty whilst I play it this holiday.
 

Ex-Actarus

Well-Known Member
#2
I understand 100% where you're coming from Jam.

I will buy the Wii U because I'm a Nintendo fan and I want to experience the Wii U at launch.

But I agree, the Wii U is not that exciting content wise. ( i'm still not sold on the gamepad concept ).


I will go even further.

I think it's the FIRST TIME a new system is coming out with games that don't look visually better than current gen games.

I mean the 360 games look way better than the GC/Xbox/PS2 games.

The Dreamcast games look way better than the PS/N64/Saturn games.

So maybe part of the lack of excitement for the Wii U is related to that.

The most anticipated games are actually more from Ubisoft than Nintendo. Zombi U and Rayman Legends had much more positive buzz than New Super Mario Bros U and Nintendoland ( I still find that latter game so underwhelming ).


That said, I'm excited to play HD games on a Nintendo platform for the first time.

This is the main driver for me.

To finally play games like Tekken, Assassin's Creed or Call of Duty on a Nintendo platform with the same level of quality than the 360 / PS3 versions, is something I've been dreaming since 2006 and the Wii ( when I found out the Wii was not a next gen system in specs
).

So I will enjoy Mario U in HD for sure
( as a pure Mario fan ) and I will play all those 360 /PS3 games on a Nintendo platform with a huge smile on my face.


Still.

I think Nintendo should have showed more what the Wii U was really capable graphically to excite more people like you Jam.

But I think they maybe made the right decision as they don't want to show what the Wii U can really do "before" the PS4 and 720 showed what they are really made of technically.

So in my opinion, the Wii U is the first next gen console outhere - no question about it - but the next gen potential of the Wii U will have to wait until 2013 and that's a bit disappointing, but the right strategy when you don't know what your competitors can do.
 
#3
I did before i realized that Nintendo already has enough quality content to sell the amount of U's they can produce in the launch window period. It's smart of them to wait until the other competitors begin talking before they show their big guns because that's when they're going to really need them.

Just because you're not hyped now doesn't mean you won't be next month or two months from now or even a few days from now. I mean look at the Bayonetta 2 announcement, there were people who were never planning to buy a Wii U who are planning to buy one just for that game alone. It also makes more sense to wait until the system is actually available to drop big announcements because it make impulse buying more probable.

But I completely agree with the notion that the main reason Wii U doesn't have more hype is because it looks so current gen compared to previous console transitions. I always used the vast graphical improvement to denote next-gen gaming systems and the U doesn't have that at all in the launch window. But like i said Nintendo doesn't need to show the improved eye candy until the other guys show up so i can understand why we haven't seen it yet.
 

running_in_jam

Videogame Sound Designer and Composer
#4
Apologies for the bad grammar in the OP, I think I'd just woken up when I wrote that!

I agree visuals are a factor in the lack of excitement, but I think for me it's a little more than that. Ex you mentioned being able to play popular 3rd party franchises on a Nintendo system with the same level of quality. That's terrific, but...this is a next gen console, what reason do people have to buy a WiiU for those games when they can have that same experience on a platform they already own? I'm not asking for graphical improvements, I'm talking functionally. Will the online be better than ps3/360? Is MiiVerse going to be a "must-buy" feature? Are there interesting gameplay modes or ideas using the GamePad which are unique to the U version, and are they truthfully a "must-buy" feature? Is there content which is only available in the Wii U version, and is that really enough for me to warrant the expensive purchase? What is there that makes the 1st and 3rd party offerings a step above current gen?

That's the ultimate question for me right now, because I really can't see it. For some games the answer is yes to a lot of those, but even with unique experiences like Zombie U, I have to ask: is this game really better than another game out there on another platform? Nothing about it has made me say "Wow, I've got to have that"

Maybe I'm cynical, or maybe like you say it will just hit me a little later than it's hit others.
 

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Moderator
#5
"running_in_jam" wrote: Apologies for the bad grammar in the OP, I think I'd just woken up when I wrote that!

I agree visuals are a factor in the lack of excitement, but I think for me it's a little more than that. Ex you mentioned being able to play popular 3rd party franchises on a Nintendo system with the same level of quality. That's terrific, but...this is a next gen console, what reason do people have to buy a WiiU for those games when they can have that same experience on a platform they already own? I'm not asking for graphical improvements, I'm talking functionally. Will the online be better than ps3/360? Is MiiVerse going to be a "must-buy" feature? Are there interesting gameplay modes or ideas using the GamePad which are unique to the U version, and are they truthfully a "must-buy" feature? Is there content which is only available in the Wii U version, and is that really enough for me to warrant the expensive purchase? What is there that makes the 1st and 3rd party offerings a step above current gen?

That's the ultimate question for me right now, because I really can't see it. For some games the answer is yes to a lot of those, but even with unique experiences like Zombie U, I have to ask: is this game really better than another game out there on another platform? Nothing about it has made me say "Wow, I've got to have that"

Maybe I'm cynical, or maybe like you say it will just hit me a little later than it's hit others.
I think those are all perfectly valid questions. For me, the biggest reason I'm getting it is because it's my job, essentially. All the games currently shown for the console seem like games that could be on PS360 (or more accurately, PC), with little to differentiate them. I do know that Nintendo heavy-hitters will come, as usual, but I'm still waiting to see them. Generally, the system is not a "must-have" for me right now, but I certainly will buy it day-one. I do know that it will become "must-have" for the Nintendo fan quickly enough, but other than that, we'll have to see whether it reaches the same "must-have" status for RPG fans, platformer fans, etc.

Hold on though, now that I think about it, Monster Hunter Tri is the game that makes it a must-have console for me. I guess we'll see what comes after that.
 

Menashe

Moderator
Moderator
#6
My excitement for the Wii U isn't so much for the content at the moment, rather because of the hardware. I remember having the same feeling with the 3DS. I wasn't so excited for any of the launch games but I giggled like a baby when I held the system and ogled at its 3D capabilities. I had so much fun trying out all of its built-in software like the AR games, Face-Raiders, the 3D camera, and the eShop. Just those things alone had a charming Nintendo feel to them and they let me see the potential in the system. Of course, I didn't realize how much I would end up loving Pilotwings at the time. Still, all that potential only felt properly realized when I played Super Mario 3D Land. Then it was like all those capabilities finally showed us what they were capable of.

So, with the Wii U I feel the same way. It's great that there are so many games to play on launch but nothing excites me tremendously. I bet NintendoLand and NSMBU will both be pleasant surprises. But, until they deliver my tangible excitement is to hold the GamePad in my hands and see how it feels, see what it's capable of. I want to try out Nintendo TVii, Miiverse, the Nintendo Network, and the Wii U eShop. I want to surf the internet and try messaging friends with my doodles. Since I love small indie games, I bet I'll download a ton of eShop games at the beginning. I want to try out all the gimmicks and use the touch screen to flick through lists in in-game menus. But, I'm sure the day will come when the real killer app comes and Nintendo fans craving a deep Nintendo experience will be satisfied.
 

Ex-Actarus

Well-Known Member
#7
Menashe.
The problem is that I'm afraid that the gamepad will hand up like the 3D on the 3DS, the Wiimote on the Wii and the second screen on the DS : a great feature, with tons of potential, but not reallu used.
I don't trust Nintendo to push for the gamepad. How come Ubisoft seem to push more for the gamepad features than Nintendo ?
Of course Nintendo will bring some games that will use the gamepad feature fantastically, but the question is : will people buy the Wii U for the gamepad as much as they buught the DS for the second screen or the Wii for the Wiimote ? I'm really not convinced of that.
 

Menashe

Moderator
Moderator
#8
"Ex-Actarus" wrote: Menashe.
The problem is that I'm afraid that the gamepad will hand up like the 3D on the 3DS, the Wiimote on the Wii and the second screen on the DS : a great feature, with tons of potential, but not reallu used.
I guess it boils down to what you consider "being used". You can use a new feature like 3D or two screens as a standard feature or in an innovative way. So, for example, Kirby Canvas Curse on the DS made excellent use of the touchscreen to allow for new gameplay, or the Trauma Team games with their surgery gameplay. That's great that some developers are thinking creatively. But, most developers won't think out of the box and they'll use the more typical implementations of the extra features. For example, they'll give you all the HUD elements on the bottom screen, or they'll just make 3D part of the graphics, rather than figuring out how to use it creatively, like Nintendo in Super Mario 3D Land. To me, though, I'm perfectly happy if developers find a way to use these features in a standard fashion. To this day, I really enjoy the 3D in some games. While playing Art of Balance Touch! on 3DS yesterday, I was thinking that the devs would not have been able to create such a soothing ambience without the 3D graphics.

So, I agree with you that not enough developers come up with innovative uses, but I disagree in thinking that there is therefore no purpose to having them. I like the regular uses of these features too.

"Ex-Actarus" wrote:
I don't trust Nintendo to push for the gamepad. How come Ubisoft seem to push more for the gamepad features than Nintendo ?
Of course Nintendo will bring some games that will use the gamepad feature fantastically, but the question is : will people buy the Wii U for the gamepad as much as they buught the DS for the second screen or the Wii for the Wiimote ? I'm really not convinced of that.
ZombiU definitely impresses me the most out of the launch lineup but I think that the reviews of NintendoLand so far have made it seem that it makes incredible use of the asymetrical gameplay. As for NSMBU, I think the reviews said that the first majority of the game is very solid but doesn't blow us away with innovation, but the last areas go crazy with the innovation. So, until we get our hands on the games, I wo't make any final judgements on whether or not Nintendo are using their own GamePad creatively enough.
 

running_in_jam

Videogame Sound Designer and Composer
#9
"juegosmajicos" wrote: I think those are all perfectly valid questions. For me, the biggest reason I'm getting it is because it's my job, essentially. All the games currently shown for the console seem like games that could be on PS360 (or more accurately, PC), with little to differentiate them. I do know that Nintendo heavy-hitters will come, as usual, but I'm still waiting to see them. Generally, the system is not a "must-have" for me right now, but I certainly will buy it day-one. I do know that it will become "must-have" for the Nintendo fan quickly enough, but other than that, we'll have to see whether it reaches the same "must-have" status for RPG fans, platformer fans, etc.

Hold on though, now that I think about it, Monster Hunter Tri is the game that makes it a must-have console for me. I guess we'll see what comes after that.
Yeah, Monster Hunter is a system seller for me. However that isn't coming out until next year, alongside the 3DS version. I haven't decided how I want to purchase it when the time comes. The Wii U version will be better, but if I'm short on cash then I won't be able to justify it and I'll get the 3DS version.

Another problem for me, as Ex highlighted, is the system's USP. The gamepad and asymmetrical gameplay, I think they're fantastic. Brilliant concepts and they look like they could be the next great memorable gaming experience (I'm talking about those late night sessions you have with your friends playing goldeneye or timesplitters. You play for hours and it's the best time of your life.)

However, many of us are no longer at the stage where we have friends round every night and we have the time to party with some decent gaming all night long. I simply won't have that many opportunities to enjoy those features, which makes them slightly redundant for me, unfortunately. Sure, the modes might still be available online; that will be great. But the whole point is to be doing it in person. It's a shame and I'm not knocking the console for it, but I can't deny it's been a factor in when I'll purchase the console.
 
#10
I wrote a really long elaborate post about this, but the powers that be apparently deemed it blasphemous and sent a giant storm here yet again in order to take out my electricity as I was in the middle of typing it out. Oh well.

In short, I agree for all the same reasons.

I think you could tell though, based on my previous posts on the subject of the Wii U. I'll definitely be getting it eventually, though.
 

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Moderator
#11
"Apocalypse" wrote: I wrote a really long elaborate post about this, but the powers that be apparently deemed it blasphemous and sent a giant storm here yet again in order to take out my electricity as I was in the middle of typing it out. Oh well.

In short, I agree for all the same reasons.

I think you could tell though, based on my previous posts on the subject of the Wii U. I'll definitely be getting it eventually, though.
Hey, did you not remember what Nintendo means?

"Leave luck to heaven, but leave the raging of the heavens to us" or something like that.

This is why we praise Nintendo...out of fear.
 

Menashe

Moderator
Moderator
#12
After E3 I was at a 4 in excitement level. About a month ago I was at a 7. Now I'm probably at a 9. The day before everyone gets one I'll probably hit 10.
 

Aki

Well-Known Member
#13
"Menashe" wrote: After E3 I was at a 4 in excitement level. About a month ago I was at a 7. Now I'm probably at a 9. The day before everyone gets one I'll probably hit 10.
I'm at a 9, I'll be hitting 10 in a few days.

@OP: I see what you're saying by lack of Nintendo's heavy hitters being a turn off, but that's what there's great launch titles such as ZombiU and Assassin's Creed III. Not to mention, Darksiders II is pretty close to a third party Zelda game, I think it's going to be a pleasant surprise. New Super Mario Bros. U is obviously there only to boost sales. Don't get me wrong, it will most likely be a good game, but it's not exactly the best game to show off the hardware, GamePad included. I think we'll get our first heavy hitting Nintendo game around Nov. of 2013. I think Pikmin is slated for spring, however, I don't consider it a heavy hitter since it's a niche title. The holy trinity of Zelda, Mario, and Metroid is where it's at.
 

FriedShoes

MLG
Moderator
#14
"Aki64" wrote:
"Menashe" wrote:
After E3 I was at a 4 in excitement level. About a month ago I was at a 7. Now I'm probably at a 9. The day before everyone gets one I'll probably hit 10.
I'm at a 9, I'll be hitting 10 in a few days.

@OP: I see what you're saying by lack of Nintendo's heavy hitters being a turn off, but that's what there's great launch titles such as ZombiU and Assassin's Creed III. Not to mention, Darksiders II is pretty close to a third party Zelda game, I think it's going to be a pleasant surprise. New Super Mario Bros. U is obviously there only to boost sales. Don't get me wrong, it will most likely be a good game, but it's not exactly the best game to show off the hardware, GamePad included. I think we'll get our first heavy hitting Nintendo game around Nov. of 2013. I think Pikmin is slated for spring, however, I don't consider it a heavy hitter since it's a niche title. The holy trinity of Zelda, Mario, and Metroid is where it's at.
Sales wise, Pikmin is about as niche as Metroid.
 

Aki

Well-Known Member
#15
"FriedShoes" wrote:
"Aki64" wrote:
"Menashe" wrote:
After E3 I was at a 4 in excitement level. About a month ago I was at a 7. Now I'm probably at a 9. The day before everyone gets one I'll probably hit 10.
I'm at a 9, I'll be hitting 10 in a few days.

@OP: I see what you're saying by lack of Nintendo's heavy hitters being a turn off, but that's what there's great launch titles such as ZombiU and Assassin's Creed III. Not to mention, Darksiders II is pretty close to a third party Zelda game, I think it's going to be a pleasant surprise. New Super Mario Bros. U is obviously there only to boost sales. Don't get me wrong, it will most likely be a good game, but it's not exactly the best game to show off the hardware, GamePad included. I think we'll get our first heavy hitting Nintendo game around Nov. of 2013. I think Pikmin is slated for spring, however, I don't consider it a heavy hitter since it's a niche title. The holy trinity of Zelda, Mario, and Metroid is where it's at.
Sales wise, Pikmin is about as niche as Metroid.
Surprisingly, that's true. I always figured it would be way higher since every Nintendo site that I visit, people are constantly praising Metroid and no one ever seems to mention Pikmin. I still consider Metroid a heavy hitter since it receives very high ratings and Nintendo really utilizes the hardware with those titles.
 

repomech

resident remnant robot relic
#16
When it comes to the power and graphical capacity of the system, I do think, from the vantage point of Nintendo's ability to sell a certain crowd on the system (and perhaps build a sustained hype with wider consensus amongst gamers), it has been a mistake not to find someway to highlight that the system represents a step forward (even if it won't be as much of one as Sony and Microsoft's next consoles). I don't really buy the holding cards close to the chest argument. It's likely Microsoft and Sony already know at least all the spec info available to third party developers from the moment they started receiving dev kits (lets get real about this). Furthermore Nintendo gets a small window of time where it is the only next gen game in town. It's probably best to look your next gen best - at least for one title. When people talk about saving big guns for when Microsoft and Sony launch their consoles, that makes sense to me when talking about titles (say a Zelda, 3D Mario etc), but it wouldn't appear to make sense to hold back on showcasing system power for another day during this short window of opportunity. Quite the opposite I would imagine.

But none of that is especially my concern personally. I think gaming experiences dependent on improvements in the field of power and graphics are going to be more incremental for at least the next while. While 5 years from now games for the consoles that will be launching over the next year or so will appear decisively better in visuals, physics and AI than what can be achieved on the PS3 or 360, I suspect that the days of a massive obvious leap right out the gate may be gone for some time, maybe for good - just look at the games billed as next gen from E3, it's not totally obvious to a casual observer that those couldn't be done on a PS3. And I think that this sort of gaming priority is best done on PC (yes the expense is a bit more up front, but frankly the software is what really costs with gaming as a hobby, that and the time spent playing the games themselves - and software is much cheaper on average for the PC because of Steam sales, freeware and alternative pricing models). For what I care about my take/concern is different. First off I'd just like to say this:

"juegosmajicos" wrote:

Hold on though, now that I think about it, Monster Hunter Tri is the game that makes it a must-have console for me. I guess we'll see what comes after that.
Yeah absolutely. I'm buying the console for this game. For sure I'll get some other games for it in the coming year(s), but once this is on shelves and ready to go, so am I.

But here's the thing: that's a reason I don't care for to own a console. I don't like having to buy consoles because of exclusives. That isn't an exciting proposition for me, it's just a reality of the current state of intellectual property law and the business logic/practices it gives rise to. So what is a reason I would like to own a console?

Simple. Because it looks like a better way to play a game, a unique and interesting way to play a game. Let's be frank. In the days of the SNES, a console and a PC were very different gaming experiences (and I personally loved both for their own qualities). The control input devices, the display appliance (also likely determining your location in the house and whether you were seated at a desk or on a comfy couch), the ease of start-up etc. There was not a lot of redundancy in experience. If Super Metroid had been available to play using my keyboard on a PC back then, I would still have preferred to play it on a SNES using the SNES's controller. But the distinctions of those days have all but collapsed. Between the increasing complexity of console operating systems and updates and the increased ease of PC game installation as well as services like Steam and Battlenet, the fact you can use console dual analog controllers to play games on your PC right on down to the reality your PC can now be displayed on your TV if you'd like, not to mention the convenience of portability afforded by lap tops - it's a much more similar experience. For me I don't really care about game X,Y or Z coming to any console anymore - unless it's going to play differently, be a different (in a better or at least unique and interesting way) experience because of that console - I just cross my fingers they'll be on PC (preferably through Steam for the most part).

This generation Demon's Souls and Valkyria Chronicles alone were, IMO, reason enough to own a PS3. But the PS3 was a sort of expensive reality you just had to grudgingly bite because of legally supported system exclusivity. I would have been fine playing either game on PC. But when I was messing around with Wii Sports Resort for the first time, I wouldn't have given two sh*ts if it was legally available on PC - I wanted to play it on the Wii (and that as much as anything was the cleverness behind the Wii).

I haven't seen that yet with WiiU. Am I excited to play Monster Hunter? Hell yes. Super pumped. Am I excited to be playing it on the WiiU as opposed to anywhere else? Not especially. Sure streaming it to the game pad might be useful if my wife wants to watch something on TV, but that's mostly addressing a problem created by the fact it's on the console in the first place. If I could get the game for my lap top, there would never have been a problem to address to begin with. Don't get me wrong, there's things about the system I am genuinely curious about (including just getting a first hand sense of what it's like to hold and use that controller - not to mention seeing what Miiverse is all about), but for me the lack of greater enthusiasm vis a vis the launch is due to the system seeming a step back from the motion and IR that made the Wii so appealing. Now it has a kitchen sink of industry standard control features (dual analog with triggers, touch pad, the Wii's motion controller etc.), but we'll have to wait and see what gets used and how. And that prospect that it could be used brilliantly, however rarely and however likely it is to happen at all, just that it could and that the day is still so young, that is for me still the most exciting thing about the WiiU.
 

repomech

resident remnant robot relic
#17
"Aki64" wrote:
Surprisingly, that's true. I always figured it would be way higher since every Nintendo site that I visit, people are constantly praising Metroid and no one ever seems to mention Pikmin. I still consider Metroid a heavy hitter since it receives very high ratings and Nintendo really utilizes the hardware with those titles.
For level of quality Metroid deserves the spot. For mass appeal? Nintendo's "real" trinity is more like Mario/Zelda/Pokemon or Mario/Zelda/Donkey Kong.
 

Ex-Actarus

Well-Known Member
#19
Juegos, Repomech,

Why are you so excited about Monster Hunter Ultimate HD ?

It's a glorified version of the Wii game in HD and more monsters.

Besides, I don't think the game looks really that good.

O had trouble to see the difference between the 3DS and Wii U footage in the New York Comicon trailer.

I'm not trying to diss the game. I'm just wondering why that version attract you so much.

I've seen on many forums, that this game is one of the most expected on Wii U.
 

Aki

Well-Known Member
#20
Monster Hunter is the shit, that's why. Ya, it's just a Wii game in HD, but even in SD, that game looked gorgeous. Not to mention, it already has an insane amount of monster / content, so the more the merrier.
 

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Moderator
#21
Yeah, I mean I spent 300 hours just playing the original Monster Hunter Tri. Simply having the opportunity to play all that stuff in a resolution that doesn't make me go blind by age 40 is something I'll greatly appreciate. Further, the amount of new content is staggering. I know it sounds meager when they say stuff like "10 new monsters" (making a number up, I don't actually know how much stuff is new), but consider the fact that many of us pulled 300 hours of blissful gameplay out of the original 18 or so Monsters in Tri. Not only are there new monsters this time around, but the recolored version of older bosses extends the gameplay and removes some of the tedium of fighting a given monster over and over again.

It basically sounds like we are getting a better, extended version of Tri (which is exactly what it is), and that's more than good enough for us that loved the hell out of the game on the Wii.
 

repomech

resident remnant robot relic
#22
It's the gameplay and content expansion for me.

I don't know how familiar you are with Monster Hunter games in general, so I'll just quickly say the appeal for me is that I dig what Monster Hunter brings in terms of a deep, challenging combat system that offers a lot of tactical choice and customization, all more or less freed from the narrative confines of a story. It's also got a lot of quirkiness to it that I find really appealing, and I love boss fights, meaningful customization and scenic wilderness vistas.

Now that's Monster Hunter in general, about Ultimate specifically? The content expansion in a nutshell. I sunk a good 400 hours into Tri (and I wasn't even close to done playing it, I only stopped because Ultimate was announced so I figured I'd focus on other games for a while). It had 18 large monsters (no subspecies) and 9 weapon classes (three of which were Bowguns). Ultimate has about 40 more large monsters (some are subspecies) and 4 new weapons classes in addition to the content of Tri. That is every monster from Tri, nearly every monster from Portable 3rd, and some new monsters besides. That is all the weapon classes in the Monster Hunter series (except for the largely redundant Medium Bowgun). There are some new areas, allies etc. This all adds up to more quests and gear. It's the definitive generation 3 Monster Hunter game with the most to do.

It would be great to see a future Monster Hunter generation built for the HD era from scratch, but as juegos said, it'll just be nice to not strain my eyes as one did with the slight blurry quality of Tri. I suppose it may lose some quality in some areas (stretched ground textures seem to be one area), but it's the best looking Monster Hunter yet in other, and on the whole it's a good enough coat of paint to deliver the gameplay goods.
 

Aki

Well-Known Member
#23
@repomech: I don't really know if we'll ever get a Monster Hunter built ground up for Wii U unless Wii U has a fanbase as large as the Wii's. It's more of a portable game, so I think that the newer iterations will be built ground up for 3DS and then ported over to Wii U, however, I think it should be the other way around as is the case with Smash Bros.
 

Ex-Actarus

Well-Known Member
#24
Ok guys.
I get it now

I would love to be as excited as you by the Monster Hunter series.
I played Freedom Unite on my PSP, but the difficulty and the controls just killed it for me.
My brother is a huge Monster Hunter fan to and spend countless hours in Unite and Tri.
So I guess i'll give a try to Tri ( I haven't yet ).
That's really great to see such passion for a franchise.

@Aki64
I agree with you on that one.
I mean Monster Hunter Third sold nearly 5 million units on PSP in Japan. That's 4 times more than Monster Hunter 3.
To put that in perspective that's more than ANY Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest game. That's more than Wii Sport ( in Japan ) !!!!

So I think that Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is a test for Capcom.
If the game is succesful on Wii U, maybe a HD from the ground up game will appear on Wii U then.
But more likely... We'll see Monster Hunter 4 HD Ultimate...
 

repomech

resident remnant robot relic
#25
@ Aki64: Yeah, I'm not expecting it anytime soon. I was disappointed by Capcom's decision to develop the core/launch entry for 4th generation on the 3DS (as opposed to porting a later 3DS version). We'll probably have to wait years, 5th generation at least, until we see that kind of Monster Hunter game.

@ Ex-Actarus: The PSP's controls were non-ideal for Monster Hunter, as wildly popular as the series was on that platform it really does need dual analog (ditto the 3DS, but at least it has that circle pad pro add-on). Tri is also a bit easier than Freedom Unite (still challenging though) so it's a great entry point to the series - but if you do play it on the Wii I recommend you use a Classic Controller Pro as the Wiimote + nunchuck controls are ass for Tri. I don't know if you did any multiplayer with Freedom Unite, but I definitely recommend taking advantage of the great online with Tri, the servers were still going strong when I last played early in the summer. You can also always wait until Ultimate comes out and jump online with some of us.
 
#26
@OP: I won't be getting the Wii U any time soon either. Why would I spend so much money on a new console for a few games that I can get on the 360? I could just spend the leftover cash on something else.
 

Menashe

Moderator
Moderator
#27
"GanonDwarf" wrote: @OP: I won't be getting the Wii U any time soon either. Why would I spend so much money on a new console for a few games that I can get on the 360? I could just spend the leftover cash on something else.
Make sure to reserve your copy of ZombiU on the 360. I hear it's in short supply.
 

Cubits

Well-Known Member
#28
"GanonDwarf" wrote: @OP: I won't be getting the Wii U any time soon either. Why would I spend so much money on a new console for a few games that I can get on the 360? I could just spend the leftover cash on something else.
All good, i'll report back on how cool it is to stab people in the neck while i take a dump!
 
#29
"Menashe" wrote:
"GanonDwarf" wrote:
@OP: I won't be getting the Wii U any time soon either. Why would I spend so much money on a new console for a few games that I can get on the 360? I could just spend the leftover cash on something else.
Make sure to reserve your copy of ZombiU on the 360. I hear it's in short supply.
Not as short as Bayonetta 2 and The Wonderful 101!
 
#30
"Cubits" wrote:
"GanonDwarf" wrote:mad:OP: I won't be getting the Wii U any time soon either. Why would I spend so much money on a new console for a few games that I can get on the 360? I could just spend the leftover cash on something else.
All good, i'll report back on how cool it is to stab people in the neck while i take a dump!
I'm sure there have been reports that the range of the controller isn't actually that great? Or rather, it's easily obstructed by walls and things. Playing in another room or just on the controller is cool though, I'll give you that.

"NintendoMan" wrote: "Menashe" wrote:
"GanonDwarf" wrote:
@OP: I won't be getting the Wii U any time soon either. Why would I spend so much money on a new console for a few games that I can get on the 360? I could just spend the leftover cash on something else.
Make sure to reserve your copy of ZombiU on the 360. I hear it's in short supply.
Not as short as Bayonetta 2 and The Wonderful 101!
Sure, every console has some exclusives, that's why I own Nintendo systems and that's why I will probably get a Wii U someday. However I'm talking about current 3rd party games. I already have Mass Effect, I already have Arkham City, but where is Dishonered, Borderlands 2, Resident Evil? Even upcoming games like Bioshock Infinite and Far Cry.

I would also add that I'm not sold on ZombiU. I think we've got another Red Steel on our hands there.
 

Cubits

Well-Known Member
#31
"GanonDwarf" wrote: I would also add that I'm not sold on ZombiU. I think we've got another Red Steel on our hands there.
Everyone is pretty sure we don't have a Red Steel on our hands this time (i've gone eyes on, it's not a mess, i'm not alone in that). RS1 was REALLY forging a new control scheme, nothing like it existed at the time, so of course it was "quirky". It had plenty of issues, yes, and those issues probably cascaded into other ones (such as resolving gameplay issues taking away from level design/polishing). But there's no way that one example is setting a trend here, the two games have nothing in common beyond being produced by Ubisoft and being launch games (although yes, we did JOKE about this point).

What we have here is, believe it or not, fairly tried and true technology. Things like the DS and tablet use have worked out the kinks, so if anything this is more like a Red Steel 2, except they've included multiplayer too.

Will the story hold up for the entire campaign? Maybe not. What i've seen of it seems interesting enough, the gameplay ideas are fresh, and the multiplayer looks like a bit of a laugh. It's great that i don't have to buy the game blind, with the release date here being the 30th i can afford to wait for reviews, but there is ABSOLUTELY no way this is a Red Steel 1.
 

Aki

Well-Known Member
#32
I feel like people, such as the user two posts above, are outplaying the range or lack of on the Wii U GamePad. Playing in a different room was never a focus for Wii U nor was it heavily advertised / talked about. You have to keep in mind that this is a home console. If you want to play the same console / game in different rooms then get a handheld console.

Also, I'm a bit disappointed that we have a skeptic here. Sure, It's always good to have a skeptic, but this is a Nintendo oriented site and I was kinda hoping that it would strictly be peeps who are down with Wii U. This is one of the main reasons that I left IGN and came here, there were way too many skeptics that were against Nintendo. It's like ok we get it, it's not for you, move along now.
 
#33
"Aki64" wrote: Also, I'm a bit disappointed that we have a skeptic here. Sure, It's always good to have a skeptic, but this is a Nintendo oriented site and I was kinda hoping that it would strictly be peeps who are down with Wii U. This is one of the main reasons that I left IGN and came here, there were way too many skeptics that were against Nintendo. It's like ok we get it, it's not for you, move along now.
I have to say, I fundamentally disagree with that kind of logic. Don't get me wrong, it can be pretty frustrating when fanboys of an opposing console/game/etc invade your community based on that subject and effectively visit solely to troll the regular users. I can relate to that-- immature video game fans can be pretty obnoxious when they disagree about things, hell, sometimes they do it simply for the sake of doing it. The difference here is that the post(s) you're referring to is obviously not meant to aggravate the users of this forum-- it is a legitimate post listing legitimate concerns about the system. There is no negative intent here.

You're confusing a difference of opinion with an attack on your personal hobby. There aren't any "teams" involved in the discussion of video games-- despite what immature people on the internet might tell you-- you play them to have fun, and don't need to mindlessly defend the publisher/developer from any and all criticism in order to enjoy their products. It isn't natural for a community to be composed of individuals completely agreeing on all topics, and frankly, the discussions wouldn't be particularly engaging if that were the case.

Just my two cents.
 

Aki

Well-Known Member
#34
"Apocalypse" wrote: I have to say, I fundamentally disagree with that kind of logic. Don't get me wrong, it can be pretty frustrating when fanboys of an opposing console/game/etc invade your community based on that subject and effectively visit solely to troll the regular users. I can relate to that-- immature video game fans can be pretty obnoxious when they disagree about things, hell, sometimes they do it simply for the sake of doing it. The difference here is that the post(s) you're referring to is obviously not meant to aggravate the users of this forum-- it is a legitimate post listing legitimate concerns about the system. There is no negative intent here.

You're confusing a difference of opinion with an attack on your personal hobby. There aren't any "teams" involved in the discussion of video games-- despite what immature people on the internet might tell you-- you play them to have fun, and don't need to mindlessly defend the publisher/developer from any and all criticism in order to enjoy their products. It isn't natural for a community to be composed of individuals completely agreeing on all topics, and frankly, the discussions wouldn't be particularly engaging if that were the case.

Just my two cents.
Agreed, maybe I took his post out of context. Only time will tell.
 

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Moderator
#36
"NintendoMan" wrote:
"GanonDwarf" wrote:
I would also add that I'm not sold on ZombiU. I think we've got another Red Steel on our hands there.
You're only fooling yourself if you still think this is anything like that.
Yeah, I believe that myh about ZombiU turning out like another Red Steel has been getting debunked gradually. Not only does it look better and better with each media release, but journalists that have played the game don't seem to have any real complaints about it so far.
 
Top