NX Official Thread of Waiting - News, Rumors and Discussion

Wolven

The Wolf of TNE Street
So NX has been named dropped quite a bit during the course of E3, so here we will pile up all of the information we know about it, and all the rumors.

We first heard of the NX here: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/150508/03.html

First of all, we aren't quite sure what NX exactly is. It might be a handheld, a console, or a brand new ecosystem/structure for Nintendo's future consoles. I would say 'Signs point to it being a console', but the signs are so vague that we can't guess for sure until we get some more information.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/ga...an-a-simple-replacement-for-the-wii-u-1293418
Nintendo stated the the NX was more than a 'simple replacement' for Wii U.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/06/01/nintendo-nx-android/
We hear from Nikkei that Nintendo's next console will run on Android...

http://www.engadget.com/2015/06/02/nintendo-android-rumor-squashed/
... then it gets squashed

Reggie name drops NX during the Digital Event, promising that NX will appear next E3

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-17-next-proper-metroid-prime-would-likely-now-be-on-nx
And lastly, we hear that if Metroid Prime were to be in the making, it would be for NX, hinting that it is either a console, or a brand new ecosystem. Then again, this can also be taken as a new handheld.

More hints to NX being a home console: http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2015/06...ls-aime-talks-amiibo-and-the-skylanders-deal/

Interesting interview with Miyamoto about the Wii U's failure and how they are going to try to solve it with the NX http://www.npr.org/sections/alltech...on-the-origins-of-nintendos-famous-characters

A rumor stating that NX will not be Android but instead will be emulating android apps. http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...nx_and_potential_deals_with_amazon_and_disney

Nintendo worries that competitors will steal the ideas that they have implemented on NX, that's why they didn't show it at the investor's conference. http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06...sole-over-worries-of-competitors-taking-ideas

Nintendo pitched the NX to 3rd parties during E3 and the results were positive. Remember, third parties were also positive to the Wii U at first. http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ly_pitched_nx_to_third_parties_during_e3_2015

Nintendo's NX won't have any influence or design by Miyamoto. http://www.gamercenteronline.net/20...-wants-to-get-the-attention-of-players-again/

Nintendo will start from 'zero' for NX. http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2015-06/29/nintendo-agm-nx-wii-u

Nintendo not abandoning Wii U and 3DS after NX. http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-wont-abandon-wii-u-and-3ds-after-nx-launc/1100-6428604/

Take this with a big grain of salt, apparently suppliers are gearing up and production is to start in May/June next year. Nintendo wants 20 million consoles. A 'maybe' release of July. Notable producers are Foxconn, Macronix and Pegatron. If anybody could look through the list of producers and tell us what they have done before, then we might have some more clues as to what NX is. I hear Macronix is a producer for handheld related stuff? http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20150702PD204.html

NX not in PS4 power levels, claims an insider. https://twitter.com/Doctor_Cupcakes/status/617098268674273281

NX might be a VR/AR Console
http://www.vg247.com/2015/07/27/nintendo-nx-could-be-a-vrar-console-report/

AMD might be building the processor
http://venturebeat.com/2015/07/16/more-hints-that-amd-is-building-nintendo-nxs-processor/

Dragon Quest XI coming to NX!
http://kotaku.com/dragon-quest-xi-announced-for-ps4-and-3ds-1720543034

NX being distributed amongs developers, includes both mobile and home unit.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendo-begins-distributing-software-kit-for-new-nx-platform-1444996588

The post will be updated as more info comes out.

So discuss! Post your thoughts and predictions! And if I missed anything, please post it so I can update the thread.

Last edited:

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Handheld that'll stream to a TV. A reverse Wii U. That's what I'm thinking.

But also...it seems like NX isn't just one device. Iwata has talked enough about iOS and Android that I imagine a Nintendo OS operating across both handheld and home console hardware, with software that scales between them.

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
I used to believe the NX would be the next gen handheld and 3DS successor, but with the recent comments by those at Nintendo and the huge lack of Wii U 2016 games I have switched to thinking it's a home console and Wii U successor. I still believe the next gen handheld will come out within 6-8 months of the NX's (home console) release, but the order in which these release has been reversed.

The NX has been referred to as a hardware system ("the new hardware system with a brand-new concept, NX") so I don't buy "it's multiple devices" or especially "it's a service, not hardware". I do think the two systems (home console and handheld) will share many of the same features (such as the basic OS), architecture (for easier porting between systems), some games (ones that make sense and can be milked for DLC, like Mario Kart and Smash Bros, titles like Zelda and 3D Mario will get their own separate releases), and a lot of connectivity (off-TV play, on-TV play, cross save), but the two systems are separate devices that can each stand their own.
------------------------------
Now that I got that out of the way, I expect the NX will be revealed a few months before next E3 (à la the PS4 and X1) and will have a 2016 release along side Zelda U/NX. Which in all honesty upsets me and makes me extremely worried about the NX, I have long held that Nintendo would follow though on the Wii U and give it a 5 year life as they have for every home console (excluding the Wii which lasted 6) and for that to change is a huge disappointment and damages my trust in Nintendo's ability to stand by their hardware. I don't regret for one second my Wii U purchase--it's an amazing system with lots of great games, but if Nintendo wants me to be a NX early adapter they will need to be near perfect now.

Ex-Actarus

@TechnoHobbit , I agree, there is no doubt that NX is a Wii U successor. The lack of new Wii U games and content for the next year or so is pretty telling... Especially when the content was already dire in past months. So we entered the "typical" Nintendo hardware transition ( since the release of Smash 4 IMO ). It's a pretty long period that can last 1 year to 18 month or so... So if you do the math, late 2016 seems about right as potential launch for the NX. Now, I disagree with you on 2 points...

First, I don't think NX is a home console only, why ? Because the 3DS roadmap doesn't look that good either ! The 3DS can easily sell for 2 or 3 years in Japan. After all the PS3 is still selling out there and PS3 games as well. But in Europe and in the US, the 3DS has been in trouble. We learned few weeks ago that the 3DS only sold 15 million units in the US, that's an all time low for a Nintendo handheld. We're talking about sales that are 3 to 4 times inferiors to the previous handhelds. And there is virtually NO SUPPORT from 3rd party devs for the 3DS. When was the last big AAA western games on 3DS ? Actually... Did we got even one ? So my point is that the 3DS successor is as important as the Wii U successor. In 2016, it will be 5 years since the release of the 3DS, there was "only" 4 years between the GBA and DS. Do you really expect the 3DS successor in 2017 ? 6 years after the 3 DS ? I don't think so... That's why the Hybrid could perfect proposition.

Secondly, you shouldn't blame Nintendo for bringing NX sooner than expected. We're in a different world today. You need to react quickly or you can become irrelevant. Who could have thought that Nokia and Motorala would not be a big players in the mobile space today ? It was simply UNTHINKABLE 5/6 years ago ! If Nintendo made the drastic changes they made recently ( mobile, theme parks, movie/tv series possibly ), it's because they felt they could become irrelevant if they stick to their guns. When you only sell 3 million console a year, you're irrelevant. Those are Saturn and Dreamcast type of numbers. We saw what happened to Sega... They had no choice. They felt that if they waited until in 2017 or 2018, it would not be sustainable for their finances and they could be forced to lay off people. You don't wanna enter in such negative spiral ! Look how long it took Sony recover from the PS3 launch disaster ( and they sold nearly 90 million system worldwide ) and they're not done yet...

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
@TechnoHobbit , I agree, there is no doubt that NX is a Wii U successor. The lack of new Wii U games and content for the next year or so is pretty telling... Especially when the content was already dire in past months. So we entered the "typical" Nintendo hardware transition ( since the release of Smash 4 IMO ). It's a pretty long period that can last 1 year to 18 month or so... So if you do the math, late 2016 seems about right as potential launch for the NX. Now, I disagree with you on 2 points...

First, I don't think NX is a home console only, why ? Because the 3DS roadmap doesn't look that good either ! The 3DS can easily sell for 2 or 3 years in Japan. After all the PS3 is still selling out there and PS3 games as well. But in Europe and in the US, the 3DS has been in trouble. We learned few weeks ago that the 3DS only sold 15 million units in the US, that's an all time low for a Nintendo handheld. We're talking about sales that are 3 to 4 times inferiors to the previous handhelds. And there is virtually NO SUPPORT from 3rd party devs for the 3DS. When was the last big AAA western games on 3DS ? Actually... Did we got even one ? So my point is that the 3DS successor is as important as the Wii U successor. In 2016, it will be 5 years since the release of the 3DS, there was "only" 4 years between the GBA and DS. Do you really expect the 3DS successor in 2017 ? 6 years after the 3 DS ? I don't think so... That's why the Hybrid could perfect proposition.

Secondly, you shouldn't blame Nintendo for bringing NX sooner than expected. We're in a different world today. You need to react quickly or you can become irrelevant. Who could have thought that Nokia and Motorala would not be a big players in the mobile space today ? It was simply UNTHINKABLE 5/6 years ago ! If Nintendo made the drastic changes they made recently ( mobile, theme parks, movie/tv series possibly ), it's because they felt they could become irrelevant if they stick to their guns. When you only sell 3 million console a year, you're irrelevant. Those are Saturn and Dreamcast type of numbers. We saw what happened to Sega... They had no choice. They felt that if they waited until in 2017 or 2018, it would not be sustainable for their finances and they could be forced to lay off people. You don't wanna enter in such negative spiral ! Look how long it took Sony recover from the PS3 launch disaster ( and they sold nearly 90 million system worldwide ) and they're not done yet...
I'm not really a fan of the hybrid console theory (the cons far outweigh the pros in my opinion) so I'm slightly biased against idea, but I think Nintendo has made enough statements that go against having a hybrid console to feel safe in saying it won't happen this gen. Back in the earlier stages of next gen development (early 2014) Iwata said he wasn't sure about just one system and that in contrast form factors might actually increase and most telling Reggie said just the other day at the end of an answer to an interview question about the sales of the X1/PS4 compared to the Wii U "We’ve also said publicly that we are already hard at work on our next home console and that’s another element we’ll be talking about much later."

I completely see where you are coming from though, the 3DS is nearing the end of it's natural life and up until I changed my mind about the NX I had always thought the 3DS's successor would arrive late 2016/early 2017. But, with a successful NX launch (this is very key), a Summer 2017 release wouldn't be to bad for the next handheld or Nintendo. Thanks to them actually making some money off it I feel Nintendo can manage to ride the 3DS out to that point, after all unlike the Wii U it has a sizable install base and has an ok 1Q/2Q 2016 lineup next year with M&L: Paper Jam, Metroid spin-off, Hyrule Warriors, and Fire Emblem.

True, true. I suppose I shouldn't be to hard on them from a business stand point, still I can't help but feel burned as a consumer.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Perhaps the NX is more of an ecosystem of platforms that will first be introduced as a home console, with the handheld at a later date. Why this way? Well, despite the slowing of sales, the 3DS is still very much a popular system, whereas the Wii U is basically on life support until the new system arrives. Although, it should be pointed out that Splatoon has sprung some momentum back into the Wii U, if at least temporally Nintendo would know this, and even though we have a lot of other games coming out this year and 2016, Nintendo likely wants to get their Wii U games finished, and then move on with the NX. I was talking with my friend about this, and I suggested that the NX, if it's a home console MUST launch with a 3D Mario title, and potentially a Metroid title as well.

We are thinking that the NX will be a hybrid system, and the X is really a cross of two systems as one. I'm more thinking it's not a hybrid, but rather two systems that share everything within themselves such as OS, communication, voice chat (cross-game included), games, eShop, Nintendo accounts, etc. Everything would cross between the two, but still be separate systems. I like the idea of a hybrid system myself, but the technology just isn't there quite yet, especially when people talk about high-end graphics, and then I just laugh at them.

Even with the rumor of the OS using Android, it's not to suggest it'll be a straight-on cut and paste version of the Android we all know, but perhaps uses Android as a base between the two systems, and is customized for the platforms. And then in terms of the AMD rumors of new x86 and ARM chips for next year, it is possible this is hinting at the home console being x86, and the handheld using ARM. The latter of which makes perfect sense seeing as the 3DS uses ARM already, so backwards compatibility for example could be included. As far as x86 goes, this one just doesn't sit right as it means Nintendo completely changing their way of development, although it would bring in 3rd parties just for the simple fact it would be very easy to bring games over. In the end, it might provide a short-term loss for Nintendo in terms of developing HD games, but over the long-term it might help stabilize their development process even further.

And then we get into what this new "concept" is for the NX. And that's the thing: we don't know if this is a new control scheme, new way of communicating with players, new ways of playing games, etc. There are even people suggesting Nintendo's new system(s) will utilize Sharp's new Free-form LCD screen technology, which could mean big things for controllers, and even more so with handhelds. It is possible Nintendo will utilize a conventional looking controller, but with the Free-form LCD screens, which I'm sure can be used asa touch screen, it would allow any developer to use any type of controller layout they wanted. The Wii U is already half-way there when you think about it with the touch-screen in the middle, and conventional buttons and sticks around it.

I ask myself what could be an evolution of the Wii U? The Wii U was an evolution of the Wii's motion controls with conventional controls built-in. The NX could be an evolution of the Wii U in terms of control layouts and customization. Not just for developers however, but gamers as well. Maybe for one particular controller, you could download different control layouts on the eShop either made by Nintendo, or even 3rd parties as well. That way you could tailor the controller to YOUR tastes, rather than always adjusting to how the company made the controller. Basically, you create your own controller is what I'm getting at.

Pipedream? Maybe, but something to think about.

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
I don't doubt for a second there will be some sort of Nintendo ecosystem going into the next gen (I've been saying it for ages), but I think it's time to let go of the idea that the "NX" is an ecosystem. The codename NX itself refers to one hardware system (once again I'll refer to the quote "the new hardware system with a brand-new concept, NX"), this system will likely be part of the Nintendo ecosystem, but the NX itself is a system. I'll admit this is a bit nitpicky, but still...

Anyway, back to the Nintendo ecosystem. I think we will see something a lot like that, but I just can't see both systems sharing everything with much success (though I do fear Nintendo will try doing just that). For instance I doubt a full-on console Zelda game could work on a handheld without hurting the experience, the graphics for instance would take a lot of work and downgrading to get on the handheld, same with Metroid and a number of other titles. Meanwhile certain series make more sense for handhelds/GameFreak doesn't like home consoles, I'm certain these will be able to be playable on your TV (see GameBoy player or Vita TV, say the handheld can stream to your NX which then puts it on the TV), but I don't think we will see full-release NX versions. Another reason to support having slightly different libraries is that Nintendo also needs to make a compelling case for someone to buy both systems or risk losing a revenue stream/having one or both systems cannibalize each other.

SkywardCrowbar

Twintelle's loyal Husbando
My inclination as to what exactly the NX will be is that it will be an all in one home and handheld console. Something like, you can take the controller (imagine something like the Wii U Gamepad) with you on the go like a 3DS, but you can also play it at home as a part of larger hardware. I read something awhile ago that Nintendo is tired of being looked at as having weak hardware, and that they're going to make the NX at least comparable in power to the successors to the PS4 and the XBox One. If that's the case, I'd love for the portable version to be something like, a bit stronger than the Vita, i.e. maybe about the same processing power or a bit stronger but also be able to hit 1080p AND maintain the face tracking 3D of the New 3DS.

I know all of that sounds really ambitious from a hardware perspective, but hey, now is the time to dream of the possibilities!

From a software perspective, I REALLY wish Nintendo would just buy companies like Platinum Games and SEGA and have them develop a bunch of titles for the NX. As in, have some 2nd party companies revive some Nintendo franchises that haven't been touched in years. Wave Race, 1080 Snowboarding, F-Zero, the list goes on and doesn't just include racers! I'd also hope that Nintendo would be more used to making HD games, so we'd get more first party titles earlier on in the NX's lifecycle. I remember I think both Miyamoto and Iwata said that the learning curve for making HD games was much steeper than most at Nintendo had anticipated, and that's what resulted in things like big delays for Pikmin 3 and probably what resulted in us not getting a lot of the big Nintendo franchises that we were anticipating seeing on Wii U.

Also, anyone think that NX is a good title for a console? Honestly, I'd be happy if that was the name of the final product. Any other ideas for names floating around, or ones that y'all think would sound good? Something better/less confusing to the average consumer than Wii U I hope...

Odo

Now that I got that out of the way, I expect the NX will be revealed a few months before next E3 (à la the PS4 and X1) and will have a 2016 release along side Zelda U/NX. Which in all honesty upsets me and makes me extremely worried about the NX, I have long held that Nintendo would follow though on the Wii U and give it a 5 year life as they have for every home console (excluding the Wii which lasted 6) and for that to change is a huge disappointment and damages my trust in Nintendo's ability to stand by their hardware. I don't regret for one second my Wii U purchase--it's an amazing system with lots of great games, but if Nintendo wants me to be a NX early adapter they will need to be near perfect now.
I'm not going to be an NX early adopter. Nintendo let me down twice with this situation of releasing a console without games. I love Nintendo but I don't trust them any more to just buy a new console and then get a Wario game as a release title.

Nintendo needs to release a console with a killer game.

Who remembers the day when Nintendo released N64 with the first 3D Mario? That was insane!

Also, I'm a bit concerned too about releasing a new console in the middle of a generation, but I think they've got no choice. Also like Ex said, it's a new world. People want new gadgets every year.

3DS is rocking and since NX is going to be the first device with the new Nintendo OS that will run on all devices, it's going to be easy to release the new "mini NX" as the 3ds successor in 1 or 2 years.

Perhaps the NX is more of an ecosystem of platforms that will first be introduced as a home console, with the handheld at a later date. Why this way? Well, despite the slowing of sales, the 3DS is still very much a popular system, whereas the Wii U is basically on life support until the new system arrives. Although, it should be pointed out that Splatoon has sprung some momentum back into the Wii U, if at least temporally Nintendo would know this, and even though we have a lot of other games coming out this year and 2016, Nintendo likely wants to get their Wii U games finished, and then move on with the NX. I was talking with my friend about this, and I suggested that the NX, if it's a home console MUST launch with a 3D Mario title, and potentially a Metroid title as well.
Forget Metroid. They're not developing it right now and they'll need at least 3 years to develop it. A new Metroid for a home console now only in 3 or 4 years.

Odo

My inclination as to what exactly the NX will be is that it will be an all in one home and handheld console. Something like, you can take the controller (imagine something like the Wii U Gamepad) with you on the go like a 3DS, but you can also play it at home as a part of larger hardware. I read something awhile ago that Nintendo is tired of being looked at as having weak hardware, and that they're going to make the NX at least comparable in power to the successors to the PS4 and the XBox One. If that's the case, I'd love for the portable version to be something like, a bit stronger than the Vita, i.e. maybe about the same processing power or a bit stronger but also be able to hit 1080p AND maintain the face tracking 3D of the New 3DS.
I like this idea.

NX could be a device with screen, like iPad or the GamePad that could be used alone or you could connect to the home console where you could play powerful games. That replaces Wii U.

Later, a new NX, just with a smaller screen, that would replace 3DS. A smaller NX.

Odo

My main concern now, the topic that I've got no clue, is about the hardware specs.

I think ARM is the future, but I don't know if it'd be a good idea.

I wonder if Nintendo will give up and finally follow the PS4/X1 hardware architecture, releasing a super powerful x86 machine. I think it's a good idea, because I don't know if there's market for a weak console. If you want a weak console, you got mobile. It's not Wii days any more when a Nintendo console could sell tonnes without being powerful.

I'm not sure 3rd party will put games on NX if it's just a Wii U 2.

Last edited:

SkywardCrowbar

Twintelle's loyal Husbando
My main concern now, the topic that I've got no clue, is about the hardware specs.

I think ARM is the future, but I don't know if it'd be a good idea.

I wonder if Nintendo will give up and finally follow the PS4/X1 hardware architecture, releasing a super powerful x86 machine. I think it's a good idea, because I don't know if there's market for a weak console. For a weak console we've got mobile. It's not Wii days any more where a Nintendo console could sell tonnes without being powerful.

I'm not sure 3rd party will put games on NX if it's just a Wii U 2.
Yes. The NX is going to have to be very powerful. Market is just not what it used to be. Like it or not, a lot of people care about how powerful a system is. I personally could take it or leave it, but after the Wii and the Wii U, I at least think it would be a nice change of pace for Nintendo to have a really powerful console.

And just to clarify on my thoughts on the NX being a home and handheld console in one, I should've made it clearer that while I want the controller/handheld portion of it to be like a souped up Vita, I want the system to be much more powerful than say a PS4 when played at home. I think that would be the ideal.

Ex-Actarus

Yes. The NX is going to have to be very powerful. Market is just not what it used to be. Like it or not, a lot of people care about how powerful a system is. I personally could take it or leave it, but after the Wii and the Wii U, I at least think it would be a nice change of pace for Nintendo to have a really powerful console.

And just to clarify on my thoughts on the NX being a home and handheld console in one, I should've made it clearer that while I want the controller/handheld portion of it to be like a souped up Vita, I want the system to be much more powerful than say a PS4 when played at home. I think that would be the ideal.
Oh yes ! I hope Nintendo gets the memo this time around. We want a powerful console ! I'm not asking for a PS3 type console that comes out with specs well ahead of its time and a ridiculous price tag. But I'm pretty sure that next year, Nintendo can definitely bring a console more powerful than the PS4 for a 300$ price tag. I'm convinced they can do it !

A 350$ price would be a mistake, by late 2016, we will have a PS4 and/or Xbone at 300$ for sure. Nintendo cannot bring a new console more expensive than the competition. However, a console more powerful, for the same price, that's a very attractive proposition. Not to mention we still don't know what's the secret feature of NX. there must be something !

Wolven

The Wolf of TNE Street
Oh yes ! I hope Nintendo gets the memo this time around. We want a powerful console ! I'm not asking for a PS3 type console that comes out with specs well ahead of its time and a ridiculous price tag. But I'm pretty sure that next year, Nintendo can definitely bring a console more powerful than the PS4 for a 300$ price tag. I'm convinced they can do it !

A 350$ price would be a mistake, by late 2016, we will have a PS4 and/or Xbone at 300$ for sure. Nintendo cannot bring a new console more expensive than the competition. However, a console more powerful, for the same price, that's a very attractive proposition. Not to mention we still don't know what's the secret feature of NX. there must be something !
Really hope they don't do any more gimmicks this time around. I would be so happy if the secret feature was like a far better implemented Miiverse or some sort of backwards compatibility or you know, something on the software side. I think they should stick with a classic console design TBH. Grab the Wii U Pro or update the Gamecube Controller for today's audiences.

Odo

Perhaps we won't get a x86 console yet

One of the things about Nintendo that's always been interesting is you've never tried to make a more powerful console with better graphics, and all the stuff that the Xbox has done. Can you explain a little why you've kind of stuck with that?

And the reason for that is that, No. 1, we like to do things that are unique and different from other companies, but we also don't want to just end up in a race to have the highest-tech specs in a competition to try to find how we get these expensive tech specs to the lowest price of the other systems. And so there's different ways that we can approach it, and sometimes we look at it just from the sense of offering a system that consumes less power and makes less noise and generates less heat, or sometimes we may look at the size of the media and the size of the system and where it fits within the home.

This is the most important question in my opinion:

You've been working together for over 30 years. I think about Nintendo's future — your stamp is so strong on this company. Do you feel like the company has enough of what you've taught, what you've learned over the years to keep it going after you're gone?

Before we created Super Mario Maker, what we had done is we had created these tools that allowed us to create Mario levels. And what Mr. Tezuka had done is use these tools to hold courses within the company over several months to explain his approach to course design.

And so we've had a lot of opportunity to train the staff that we have, and we have a lot of examples of new projects, like the game that we just released, called Splatoon.Splatoon is a very good example because it used to be that I had many different teams that I could go to when I had an idea for a game that I wanted to make, and I would bring that idea and they would make the game. But Splatoon was an example of one of those younger teams coming up with an idea of a game they wanted to make and the senior leadership supporting them in making the game they wanted to make. And so we're at a point where we're starting to see that transition and seeing the benefits from that.

http://www.npr.org/sections/alltech...on-the-origins-of-nintendos-famous-characters

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Perhaps we won't get a x86 console yet

One of the things about Nintendo that's always been interesting is you've never tried to make a more powerful console with better graphics, and all the stuff that the Xbox has done. Can you explain a little why you've kind of stuck with that?
And the reason for that is that, No. 1, we like to do things that are unique and different from other companies, but we also don't want to just end up in a race to have the highest-tech specs in a competition to try to find how we get these expensive tech specs to the lowest price of the other systems. And so there's different ways that we can approach it, and sometimes we look at it just from the sense of offering a system that consumes less power and makes less noise and generates less heat, or sometimes we may look at the size of the media and the size of the system and where it fits within the home.

This is the most important question in my opinion:
You've been working together for over 30 years. I think about Nintendo's future — your stamp is so strong on this company. Do you feel like the company has enough of what you've taught, what you've learned over the years to keep it going after you're gone?

Before we created Super Mario Maker, what we had done is we had created these tools that allowed us to create Mario levels. And what Mr. Tezuka had done is use these tools to hold courses within the company over several months to explain his approach to course design.

And so we've had a lot of opportunity to train the staff that we have, and we have a lot of examples of new projects, like the game that we just released, called Splatoon.Splatoon is a very good example because it used to be that I had many different teams that I could go to when I had an idea for a game that I wanted to make, and I would bring that idea and they would make the game. But Splatoon was an example of one of those younger teams coming up with an idea of a game they wanted to make and the senior leadership supporting them in making the game they wanted to make. And so we're at a point where we're starting to see that transition and seeing the benefits from that.

http://www.npr.org/sections/alltech...on-the-origins-of-nintendos-famous-characters
Just like every new console gen for them. Affordable and serviceable enough in the graphics department. Tho graphic sluts will not be so happy

Wolven

The Wolf of TNE Street
Thread updated again with the recent rumor, we are getting a more fleshed out version of NX everyday. It sounds interesting to say the least.

Ex-Actarus

If as @WolvenofGames says we don't have any more gimmicks, I don't see any reasons why the NX won't be powerful. It's clear the gamepad took a huge part of the Wii U value ( pretty much 37% if I'm not wrong ). If the Wii U had only the Wii Pro Controller, it would have been certainly more powerful.

I admire Nintendo's dedication to innovation when it comes to controllers. Since the NES, they have ALWAYS innovated on the controller department. However, I would love to see Nintendo revisit old controllers. The Gamecube controller for example needs to be improved the same way as the Dualshock and the Xbox controller have been improved.

By the way I don't see how Nintendo will manage to go until 2016 without addressing NX. That's going to be very challenging for them...

Source : http://www.destructoid.com/cnn-estimates-the-cost-of-wii-u-s-parts-to-be-228-249435.phtml

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
If as @WolvenofGames says we don't have any more gimmicks, I don't see any reasons why the NX won't be powerful. It's clear the gamepad took a huge part of the Wii U value ( pretty much 37% if I'm not wrong ). If the Wii U had only the Wii Pro Controller, it would have been certainly more powerful.
And why do you think that Nintendo's going to drop the gamepad? It's certainly possible, but they've given no indication of it.

Wolven

The Wolf of TNE Street
There is going to be an investor's meeting soon today. Hopefully we hear more news of the NX platform. I will keep the thread updated. The meeting should be in less than an hour.

Koenig

The Architect
I just don't want Nintendo to innovate for innovations sake. A well designed product meets existing needs while raising the bar. I am all for innovation, but I want Nintendo to get their priorities strait. The Wii U and (original) 3DS are plagued with minor nitpicks that have been driving me mad.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
@EvilTw1n and I (and probably some others on TNE) have been saying for a little while now that maybe Nintendo will opt for ARM with their next home console rather than use x86. It certainly falls perfectly in line with low power consumption, less noise and less heat.

To be fair though, we do not know what AMD is cooking up with their new x86 and ARM chips for next year (Or do we know?). Maybe they've designed a brand new x86 chip that uses a lot less wattage, but still provides plenty of horsepower, while generating low heat?

Wolven

The Wolf of TNE Street
Nothing of note was announced on the meeting, only notable thing was Nintendo's confirmation on going to film, and we didn't get any specifics on that. Lets hope the movies are good!

Odo

And why do you think that Nintendo's going to drop the gamepad? It's certainly possible, but they've given no indication of it.

I love GamePad.

From now on, I'll not be satisfied without a screen on my hands.

Off-TV is amazing!

The only problem with GamePad in my opinion is that you only can have 1 GamePad. It kills a lot of multiplayer possibilities.

@EvilTw1n and I (and probably some others on TNE) have been saying for a little while now that maybe Nintendo will opt for ARM with their next home console rather than use x86. It certainly falls perfectly in line with low power consumption, less noise and less heat.

To be fair though, we do not know what AMD is cooking up with their new x86 and ARM chips for next year (Or do we know?). Maybe they've designed a brand new x86 chip that uses a lot less wattage, but still provides plenty of horsepower, while generating low heat?

The problem is, if we're going to have a home console with ARM, I'll tell you, iPad will kill this console.

With powerful iPads + Apple TV, there's no need to an ARM home console. Very soon an iPad will be able to run a game as beautiful as MK8.

I myself believe that ARM is the future, but I believe that if NX will be ARM, it must be ridiculously cheap and probably no third party at all will come.

Odo

This Android stuff can't be true, and if it's true, it's a big turn-off for me.

It'd mean that NX is an ARM-Android weak console like a tablet that will run games for mobile and games that won't cope with the competition against the other consoles capabilities.

nerdman

pig's gotta fly
I think NX will be a new home console. It will continue with the same architecture, and thus be Wii U compatible. It won't be much more powerful than the Wii U, but it will be cheaper than Wii U's entry price of $350.

I believe Nintendo gave us a glimpse of their future with Smash Wii U and 3DS . They will still have home and handheld machines, but there will be big infrastructure changes so that cross-platform development is as easy and cheap as possible.

Both handheld and console will still get a few exclusives. Games that are ported to both might have exclusive content based on the platform. For example, the 3DS Smash has 3D and the Wii U has 8 players.

They will still not play ball with 3rd parties. In fact, I believe this change is designed to protect them in case they don't receive support. If either handheld or console has strong sales, then easy cross-platform development will be enticing to 3rd party developers.

I also strongly believe that it will be another blue ocean console. The dream of nintendo games + full third party support is dead.

Odo

I think NX will be a new home console. It will continue with the same architecture, and thus be Wii U compatible. It won't be much more powerful than the Wii U, but it will be cheaper than Wii U's entry price of $350.

I believe Nintendo gave us a glimpse of their future with Smash Wii U and 3DS . They will still have home and handheld machines, but there will be big infrastructure changes so that cross-platform development is as easy and cheap as possible.

Both handheld and console will still get a few exclusives. Games that are ported to both might have exclusive content based on the platform. For example, the 3DS Smash has 3D and the Wii U has 8 players.

They will still not play ball with 3rd parties. In fact, I believe this change is designed to protect them in case they don't receive support. If either handheld or console has strong sales, then easy cross-platform development will be enticing to 3rd party developers.

I also strongly believe that it will be another blue ocean console. The dream of nintendo games + full third party support is dead.

Agreed! 100% agreed.

I'm just a bit concerned about the lack of full third party support.

I think Nintendo needs to review this "decision" (if they've already decided it), because if it's just a more powered Wii U console with another name (no x86), I don't expect it to sell more than Wii U.

Wii sold a lot because of a combination of casual gamers + motion controls and quite good 3rd party support: FIFA, Madden, COD, NFS. Of course we know that the latest titles of those franchises were bad ports.

However, you can't find even FIFA on Wii U. A game that has port for iOS and nowadays we've got 2 kinds of casual gamers

- Those who play on mobile
- Those who play "mature-press-to-shoot" games on consoles/PC

With no 3rd party support at all, Nintendo home consoles will become niche machines. I know that Nintendo can make profit from it, but I don't know if it's wise.

Koenig

The Architect
If the next system is some sort of console/handheld hybrid, how exactly do you think Nintendo will handle distribution? Digital only? Cartridges? Mini-disks? It seems like a problem to me.

Odo

If the next system is some sort of console/handheld hybrid, how exactly do you think Nintendo will handle distribution? Digital only? Cartridges? Mini-disks? It seems like a problem to me.
Digital. I'm sorry for the physical lovers. I know it hurts, but it's time to let disks go.

They'll die soon or later.

Ex-Actarus

There is absolutely ZERO chance for Nintendo going with the same architecture as the Wii U. That would be a complete nonsense as it was a failure. But it would also be in complete opposite of the "New Nintendo" so eager to find new partners and open the new things as mobile and allow other to use their franchises ( movies, theme park ).

There is no question now that the ARM and X86 AMD design wins are related to Nintendo. AMD confirmed that one of those design win is gaming console coming next year. What else could it be ? NX that's a given if you ask me. So Nintendo is definitely moving one from the Wii U architecture.

Source : http://gamingbolt.com/amd-hints-at-new-game-console

Odo

If physical goes, so too does my interest in Console gaming. At least until they drop the price or provide an extensive streaming service. I highly doubt I am the only one who feels this way.
That's sad, but it'll happen eventually. If NX isn't a digital only console, i bet it's going to be the next one after NX.

Odo

There is absolutely ZERO chance for Nintendo going with the same architecture as the Wii U. That would be a complete nonsense as it was a failure. But it would also be in complete opposite of the "New Nintendo" so eager to find new partners and open the new things as mobile and allow other to use their franchises ( movies, theme park ).

There is no question now that the ARM and X86 AMD design wins are related to Nintendo. AMD confirmed that one of those design win is gaming console coming next year. What else could it be ? NX that's a given if you ask me. So Nintendo is definitely moving one from the Wii U architecture.

Source : http://gamingbolt.com/amd-hints-at-new-game-console
I can imagine Nintendo confirming NX as a x86 console with watchdogs 2, a COD and The Last of Us Mega Remastered confirmed in a press conference and the Internet going down forever.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
the NX is a hybrid platform

1. Only 1 device will be originally shown, but there will be multiple devices that focus on different areas.
2. The first device shown will be a larger handheld system... like as big as a wii u gamepad, though slimmer
3. the whole point is going to be a unified platform for software
4. spec wise it will be right around wii u... in some ways worse, in many ways better
5. battery life will be sub-par, unfortunately
6. device will have a card slot ala ds, but also support sd, and have around 16-32gb of onboard storage
7. will connect to tv through a chromecast-esque device, multiple controllers can sync to the handheld when it is played on TV, it will use the same controllers the wii u does
8. interface will be like the wii u, but much speedier, nothing as crazy as waru waru plaza with all of the characters on screen, soemthign to make that kind of thing load faster
9. OS will be android, but wont be called android... it is like amazon with fire OS... it'll be android based.. but they might not even say that
10. System will retail for $250, but Nintendo will do a lot to make that price seem ok... like a decent pack-in game
11. Launch lineup will be stronger than the last couple of years
12. It will still do something infuriating and old... like a resistive touch screen... again
13. 3rd party focus will be very different from when the wii u was announced... Nintendo will take a dream-team-esque approach like they did with the n64.... so less sloppy late ports... more exclusives, less publishers on board.... nintendo will off-set this both by publishing some 3rd party games, and by having a unified platform for both their handheld and console games
14. Will launch with a major 3d mario as a pack-in... there will also likely be an anaimal crossing game, and a metroid game at launch... zelda is still wii u
15. system will launch in 2017, but earlier in the year
16. system will use an android-esque SoC CPU... and will be VERY quick to multi-task
17. system MIGHT be a tablet without buttons or controls that docks in a variety of controller casings... some slimmer with circle pads, some thicker with analog sticks and grips
18. Will be announced as a 3rd pillar ala ds... but will CLEARLY be a replacement for both the wii u and 3ds
19. will still have motion control and such... just as android phones do
20. Will still have wii-u esque second window stuff... when played on a TV.. TV wont simply mirror

21. Your Mii wont just be a picture, but a 3d model that looks around and such... the backgrounds will be swappable like the 3ds... also not just images... a mario bg like this will have some of the other miis on your system jumping around and playing the "level" your mii might turn around and watch them on occasion, or applaud when one of them does something cool... besides a 2d mario... there will also be a top down zelda option at launch.. some games might come with bgs you can install, or that are offered to promote the game... nintendo can interfere with your BG choice in order to promote some other games and such on occasion...

22. system MIGHT do some cool AR stuff... a step up from what the 3ds did
23. Micheal Jordan will have NOTHING to do with the announcement

Ex-Actarus

I think Ex probably meant that the NX won't come with the GamePad and that makes sense, seeing as it's a rather expensive piece of tech that didn't end up working out
Precisely. The Gamepad is considered a failure by Nintendo ( check what Miyamoto said... ), so it would make nonsense whatsoever to bring the gamepad... Again ! Not to mention that Nintendo NEVER use the same controller twice for a console. I don't see why they would it do with NX...

Source : https://fortune.com/2015/06/23/shigeru-miyamoto-wii-u/

Ex-Actarus

we're just mid 2015 and it seems there are news around NX every day ! The lastest one : according to Fortune, Nintendo apparently presented NX ( in some capacity ) to some 3rd party devs during E3 2015. The feedback was positive...

I guess that's pretty re-assuring. I remember that many 3rd party devs were very negative toward Wii U specs. So could this means 3rd party devs are happy with NX specs ?

Source : http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1071449

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
we're just mid 2015 and it seems there are news around NX every day ! The lastest one : according to Fortune, Nintendo apparently presented NX ( in some capacity ) to some 3rd party devs during E3 2015. The feedback was positive...

I guess that's pretty re-assuring. I remember that many 3rd party devs were very negative toward Wii U specs. So could this means 3rd party devs are happy with NX specs ?

Source : http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1071449
Well I do remember hearing positive stuff about the Wii-U by third-party devs when it was announced so I'd take that with a grain of salt, personally