NX Official Thread of Waiting - News, Rumors and Discussion

Goodtwin

Screen resolution I expect to be 600p. It's more than adequate for a sub 6 inch screen. Rumors say NX portable this year, with console to follow, but I won't be surprised if the portable has an accessory to steam to the tv. Assuming a console version does come out next year, I expect it to be the same hardware component, but multiplied to target 1080p instead of 600p. More shaders, more ROPs, higher memory bandwidth and so forth. Think of the options PC gamers have with settings, if they do that for PC, why wouldn't developers be able to manage two different settings, one for portable and one for console.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

thekiller7

The Seven and Only
I also think it will be 2017.

You say it gives it a great chance to be powerful enough. The question is powerful enough for what?
I don't know... To me Power isn't everything. But the extra year to me would be more for perfecting it's OS and having the right games ready for it. So I guess "more powerful" I shouldn't say that.
A lot of people can be graphics whores and such, but for me I've never been like that. I want the nX to have a great lineup at launch to convince me to get this at launch. It doesn't have to be more powerful than PS4, it could be equal or lower. As long as the games are there for it.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I don't know... To me Power isn't everything. But the extra year to me would be more for perfecting it's OS and having the right games ready for it. So I guess "more powerful" I shouldn't say that.
A lot of people can be graphics whores and such, but for me I've never been like that. I want the nX to have a great lineup at launch to convince me to get this at launch. It doesn't have to be more powerful than PS4, it could be equal or lower. As long as the games are there for it.
You and I are in the exact same boat then.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
In this case, @EvilTw1n, @juegosmajicos and @theMightyME , I'm sold on the idea a viable hybrid console. We don't know if Nintendo will do it, but it's viable and can make a lot of money.
Problem with a hybrid is that you'll get either a overpowered handheld or an underpowered home console, seeing as they'll still need to have a system that's a leap over their last one, and neither of those two things are particularly desirable, especially these days (Looks at the Wii-U and Vita). I think it's more likely that Nintendo will have two systems with similar enough architecture to make porting and developing games between the two as easy as possible while still offering consumers a reason to get one system or the other, such as a few different titles that are difficult to / too costly to get running on a handheld, games that are more suitable for handhelds / the handheld audience, etc.

So like 2D platformers, Animal Crossing, etc. can probably be on both systems but something like a 3D Zelda or Xenoblade will be for home consoles and Pokemon will be for handhelds

Not to mention, of course, some third-party developers would naturally for one system or the other

Last edited:

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
Take this with a grain of salt
________________________________________________________________________________________________________
From an Unnamed developer
  • The game is running on Unreal Engine 4 and looks very impressive graphically.
  • The Developer said that Dev Kits are limited supply and a larger number of developers wanting Dev Kits will get an SDK so they can prep their titles for release on NX.
  • The Developer’s Nintendo Account Manager stated that Unity and Unreal Engine 4 will both be ready in time for when developers outside of key partners are able to purchase dev-kits of their own.
  • The Developer states that since their game is running on Unreal Engine 4 already, this is very promising news and are happy that Nintendo has at least taken the initiative in this regard of engine support out of the gate.
  • The Developer seems to think that they have a good chance of getting an actual dev kit and not just an SDK.

This information lines up with what Developer Kyodai just said in a recent interview with Nintendonews.com:
“We personally think the next home platform from Nintendo will have native UE4 support, which can potentially resolve many of the Wii U compatibility issues,” the studio shared with us. “Of course, we can’t confirm anything at this moment, but you know, almost all of the big and medium-sized Japanese publishers (Capcom, Bandai Namco, Square-Enix, etc.) are leaning toward using UE4. And Japan is a very important market for Nintendo.”

The developer went on to inform me that he actually did not break any NDA that he was under by telling this information. The release date of the Dev Kits for all developers remains under NDA and the specs of the Dev Kit are still hidden. Tell me what you guys think about this in the comment section!

http://www.nintengen.com/2016/02/nintendo-nx-insider-dev-kit-engine.html

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
Problem with a hybrid is that you'll get either a overpowered handheld or an underpowered home console,
or a perfectly powered nintendo box.. considering nintendo doesn't rely on realistic graphics, which emans the hangups of an udnerpowered console do not apply, nor does the overpowered handheld since nintendo's games are better suited for both devices than sony's games which rely on smaller more intricate details

seeing as they'll still need to have a system that's a leap over their last one, and neither of those two things are particularly desirable, especially these days (Looks at the Wii-U and Vita).
that is cheap... the failures of the vita and the wii u have NOTHING to do with the wii u being underpowered and the vita being overpowered.... it entirely has to do with nintendo's failure at marketing and preparing a launch, and sony completely misreading the handheld market 2 generations in a row

I think it's more likely that Nintendo will have two systems with similar enough architecture to make porting and developing games between the two as easy as possible while still offering consumers a reason to get one system or the other, such as a few different titles that are difficult to / too costly to get running on a handheld, games that are more suitable for handhelds / the handheld audience, etc.
at that point the entire reason for a unified architecture goes out the window... nobody is going to spec down their properties to run on both, the divide will continue and nothing will be solved

So like 2D platformers, Animal Crossing, etc. can probably be on both systems but something like a 3D Zelda or Xenoblade will be for home consoles and Pokemon will be for handhelds
They already can be.. that level of cross platform porting is already in play... as I said above, if you segregate zelda to only console NX and pokemon to only handheld NX then the entire point of a unified architecture is moot. If nintendo steps into a unified architecture with a half eharted pussy foot, it will fail... they need to make a strong commitment to a unified platform or system.

Not to mention, of course, some third-party developers would naturally for one system or the other
3rd party parity will never exist on a nintendo platform again... even if the nx was the most powerful system of all time, half the big western devs would stil turn up their noses to it.. as they did with the wii u when they put out ps3 and 360 games... something that they still do btw.. most new games seem to be on both ps4 and ps3 both 360 and xbone... and none of them on wii u, which outspecs the ps3 and 360

I think the problem with people who are against the hybrid solution is that they don't seem to udnerstand the purpose of the hybrid solution.. which is not to let you have 1 super cross-over system, nor to add a convenience of putting portable on the TV.... it is to unify the platforms.. WHOLEY... it isn;t to make it so they can make 1 nx game that works on 1 system and a port that works on another as 2 seperate products.. but rather to have 1 product that works on the NX as a whole... reducing the redundancy of multiple franchise entires across seperate systems, and doubling the lineup of a singular system while removing the drought issue .

If nintendo tries to apeal to the "core" they WILL fail... if they try and make 3rd parties top priority they WILL be burned again with nothing of note to show. Nintendo's only real option is to strengthen their own footprint, improve and expand their own development, and embrace what makes them different from their competition... their exclusives... everything else needs to be secondary.... because their is no hope for them to work out as a first priority

1. 3rd party parity is completely out the window, and decent 3rd party support AT ALL is extremely unlikely, even if they matched or exceeded ps4 spec, the wii u prooved this, as did the GC... in a completely different way so did the wii (not with power, but userbase)

2. eventually sony and MS wont have much of a leg to stand on... steam will eventually nail down a proper steam box (it'll take a while, maybe a few gens) and 3rd parties will begin to wonder whty they give up so much control to sony and ms, and why they pay so much to them... eventually even steam will suffer as publishers find a better way to sell to people with no middle man... somebody whose business model isn't in licensing fees (somebody like google), and the entire game will be changed... 3rd parties will no longer mean anything to platform makers, and exclusives will be the ONLY game in town for them... sony will likely turn playstation into a service that runs on other boxes, and ms will just be 3rd party and sell on their own without enough internal development to even do what playstation will do. The ONLY potential survivor of this change is Nintendo... it doesn;t matter how weak they apear now, they are the only ones who can stand on their own with only their own software to count on... it isn;t a matter of if this all happens.. it is a matter of when... and nintendo should get ahead of it.

3. AGAIN!!!! Nintendo does not need the performance the other companies do.. Mario already looks like a f'n pixar animation, Mario Kart 8 stands out as stunning even against ps4 games, NOBODY is talkign about limitations in the zelda wii u demo, only how gorgeous it looks... as far as power goes.. what wii u does is sufficient for Nintendo's needs... the ONLY reason to seek more power is to please american 3rd parties who still wouldn't give a damn and would still just ignore the system anyways.... it is like buying stock in a brick and mortar video rental franchise... way too expensive, will be under-supported, and will become exponentially less viable year after year.

Nintendo needs to make themselves as attractive as possible as a brand for gamers... gamers wont care if a nintendo system has CoD, because any gamer who likes CoD will already have a ps4 or xbone... if not both. Nintendo CANNOT sell 2 systems anymore without the 3rd party parity they will never again have... people whow ant to play nintendo games are either uber fans who buy everything they make, or are divides to 1 platform or another, oftentimes using that as reason to ignore both platforms as the results of either do not meet the purchasable arithmetic... people buy nintendo systems for nintendo games.. but when they have to chose between 1 system for pokemon, and another for zelda, the atractiveness of each declines drastically

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
or a perfectly powered nintendo box.. considering nintendo doesn't rely on realistic graphics, which emans the hangups of an udnerpowered console do not apply, nor does the overpowered handheld since nintendo's games are better suited for both devices than sony's games which rely on smaller more intricate details

that is cheap... the failures of the vita and the wii u have NOTHING to do with the wii u being underpowered and the vita being overpowered.... it entirely has to do with nintendo's failure at marketing and preparing a launch, and sony completely misreading the handheld market 2 generations in a row

at that point the entire reason for a unified architecture goes out the window... nobody is going to spec down their properties to run on both, the divide will continue and nothing will be solved

They already can be.. that level of cross platform porting is already in play... as I said above, if you segregate zelda to only console NX and pokemon to only handheld NX then the entire point of a unified architecture is moot. If nintendo steps into a unified architecture with a half eharted pussy foot, it will fail... they need to make a strong commitment to a unified platform or system.

3rd party parity will never exist on a nintendo platform again... even if the nx was the most powerful system of all time, half the big western devs would stil turn up their noses to it.. as they did with the wii u when they put out ps3 and 360 games... something that they still do btw.. most new games seem to be on both ps4 and ps3 both 360 and xbone... and none of them on wii u, which outspecs the ps3 and 360

I think the problem with people who are against the hybrid solution is that they don't seem to udnerstand the purpose of the hybrid solution.. which is not to let you have 1 super cross-over system, nor to add a convenience of putting portable on the TV.... it is to unify the platforms.. WHOLEY... it isn;t to make it so they can make 1 nx game that works on 1 system and a port that works on another as 2 seperate products.. but rather to have 1 product that works on the NX as a whole... reducing the redundancy of multiple franchise entires across seperate systems, and doubling the lineup of a singular system while removing the drought issue
Bullshit, seeing as something like Xenoblade Chronicles X or Zelda U couldn't have been done on the 3DS without serious drawbacks. There's more to power than just graphics, otherwise Nintendo could've just made these kind of games on the 3DS. At best, it got remakes of N64 Zelda titles and a version of Xenoblade Chronicles with a piss poor frame-rate, resolution, etc. Nintendo still needs power, just not for all of their games. That and, well, you still need to have a system that's reasonably priced, doesn't overheat, etc. if you wanna make a portable. Sure, Nintendo can make a hybrid a bit more capable than the Wii-U but that just gives consumers another reason to not even bother with a Nintendo system and, without the cheapness of handhelds, it becomes desirable by only a few. People still want to be wowed by new hardware. You need a wow factor and having a Wii-U+ level system in 2016 won't let you do that, even if it has all of Nintendo's software as not everyone likes only Nintendo's software

Except a good amount of it does have to do with those systems being either underpowered or overpowered. The Wii-U being underpowered already turned off both consumers and developers and the GamePad just made things worse. The Vita was an impressive piece of tech but, with most handheld titles not being huge mainstream titles, why would most developers put in the time to make games that take advantage of the system's beefy hardware?

Not at all, it makes it easier to make one game only for both systems, instead of making one game specifically for a handheld and then a home console and thus freeing up a lot of Nintendo's developers to work on more franchises, both new and old. This also gives consumers a reason to get another system as they'll share a lot of the same games while also offering exclusive titles not available on their respective handheld and home console

Read above and, again, a Nintendo-only box can not work and it never has. More Nintendo software doesn't solve their problem as they make a crap ton of games for all of their systems. Their main problem is that they don't have other developers filling in the gaps between their games releases, which causes droughts

Oh no, Nintendo will probably never see full third-party support on their home console but they still need at least some support. Any support is better than what we got with the Wii-U. There's a reason why the 3DS has sold more hardware and is overall more liked than the Wii-U. Also, sure, a lot of third-party titles currently out could've come to the Wii-U but, when with the Wii-U being as unappealing as it is and it's hardware making it difficult to bring competent ports over on top of underpowered hardware, is it any wonder that third-party developers dropped it like a bad habit? I know the GameCube had more consistent support for a longer period of time, as did the Wii and even the N64

There's no way Nintendo could ever get rid of droughts on their own. That's impossible. No way could they ever single-handedly replace the sheer variety and number of titles produced by nearly every other developer out there. The problem I have with a hybrid is that it doesn't really fix anything and introduces some of it's own problems

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
If nintendo tries to apeal to the "core" they WILL fail... if they try and make 3rd parties top priority they WILL be burned again with nothing of note to show. Nintendo's only real option is to strengthen their own footprint, improve and expand their own development, and embrace what makes them different from their competition... their exclusives... everything else needs to be secondary.... because their is no hope for them to work out as a first priority

1. 3rd party parity is completely out the window, and decent 3rd party support AT ALL is extremely unlikely, even if they matched or exceeded ps4 spec, the wii u prooved this, as did the GC... in a completely different way so did the wii (not with power, but userbase)

2. eventually sony and MS wont have much of a leg to stand on... steam will eventually nail down a proper steam box (it'll take a while, maybe a few gens) and 3rd parties will begin to wonder whty they give up so much control to sony and ms, and why they pay so much to them... eventually even steam will suffer as publishers find a better way to sell to people with no middle man... somebody whose business model isn't in licensing fees (somebody like google), and the entire game will be changed... 3rd parties will no longer mean anything to platform makers, and exclusives will be the ONLY game in town for them... sony will likely turn playstation into a service that runs on other boxes, and ms will just be 3rd party and sell on their own without enough internal development to even do what playstation will do. The ONLY potential survivor of this change is Nintendo... it doesn;t matter how weak they apear now, they are the only ones who can stand on their own with only their own software to count on... it isn;t a matter of if this all happens.. it is a matter of when... and nintendo should get ahead of it.

3. AGAIN!!!! Nintendo does not need the performance the other companies do.. Mario already looks like a f'n pixar animation, Mario Kart 8 stands out as stunning even against ps4 games, NOBODY is talkign about limitations in the zelda wii u demo, only how gorgeous it looks... as far as power goes.. what wii u does is sufficient for Nintendo's needs... the ONLY reason to seek more power is to please american 3rd parties who still wouldn't give a damn and would still just ignore the system anyways.... it is like buying stock in a brick and mortar video rental franchise... way too expensive, will be under-supported, and will become exponentially less viable year after year.

Nintendo needs to make themselves as attractive as possible as a brand for gamers... gamers wont care if a nintendo system has CoD, because any gamer who likes CoD will already have a ps4 or xbone... if not both. Nintendo CANNOT sell 2 systems anymore without the 3rd party parity they will never again have... people whow ant to play nintendo games are either uber fans who buy everything they make, or are divides to 1 platform or another, oftentimes using that as reason to ignore both platforms as the results of either do not meet the purchasable arithmetic... people buy nintendo systems for nintendo games.. but when they have to chose between 1 system for pokemon, and another for zelda, the atractiveness of each declines drastically
Well there's no one else for them to appeal to and trying to at the very least listen to third-party input could never hurt them and only help. I don't see their home consoles having PS-level third-party support. But trying to sell your system on only your exclusives just flat out can't be done, especially when the competition has their own appealing exclusives. Many feel Sony's exclusives aren't too far off, if not equal, to Nintendo's own and Microsoft is improving their exclusive library. At that point, what does Nintendo have that makes them unique? They have no choice but to play nice with third-party titles while also still carving their own path

The GC had decent support. Honestly, it couldn't have gotten much more with the titan that was the PS2. With good appealing hardware, Nintendo can definitely get decent support. Not amazing support but it'll be decent

I'd agree with that if the both of them didn't develop a dedicated fanbase but they have, Sony more so than Microsoft and even Nintendo

But you're only saying that because we've only seen what we can do with the Wii-U's hardware and, even there, we saw some limitations, mostly for Xenoblade Chronicles X, but I'm sure we'll see some for Zelda as well, albeit far less due to it's likely smaller world, greater amount of polish, and more appealing art-style. You don't think Nintendo can do more with Zelda, Xenoblade Chronicles, 3D Mario, possibly a new IP (Afterall, Nintendo's more open now due to the success of Splatoon), or Metroid on more powerful hardware? Of course they can!

The attractiveness of the two different systems only declines immensely if they don't share any game. If they share a huge portion of them, the attractiveness of neither system declines drastically and also allows for people to be more interested in the other system which'll be capable of doing things the other can not, whether it be due to dual screens, power, or some other feature

Odo

I think it's more likely that Nintendo will have two systems with similar enough architecture to make porting and developing games between the two as easy as possible while still offering consumers a reason to get one system or the other, such as a few different titles that are difficult to / too costly to get running on a handheld, games that are more suitable for handhelds / the handheld audience, etc.
Yes, I agree with you.

I only think that a hybrid now is viable, but I agree that it's more likely that Nintendo will release two separate systems with one single OS. I think it's the most natural step for Nintendo now. I'm still betting on this.

Odo

Read above and, again, a Nintendo-only box can not work and it never has. More Nintendo software doesn't solve their problem as they make a crap ton of games for all of their systems. Their main problem is that they don't have other developers filling in the gaps between their games releases, which causes droughts

Oh no, Nintendo will probably never see full third-party support on their home console but they still need at least some support.
I see that we've got the same way of thought. That's what I was saying in the Wii U / 3DS sales thread. I believe Nintendo needs some level of 3rd party and that its own 1st party content will not be enough to sustain Nintendo in the future.

There's no way Nintendo could ever get rid of droughts on their own. That's impossible. No way could they ever single-handedly replace the sheer variety and number of titles produced by nearly every other developer out there.
Exactly. Even considering Wii U and 3DS titles, they don't appeal to everyone. For example, last Christmas we basically got XCX and Pokemon MD and YW. Enough games right? No, XCX is niche RPG, it doesn't sell tons, Pokemon MD doesn't appeal to even all Pokemon fans and YW is just a new exclusive game that will take time to get traction.

2014 Christimas, even with Smash and some other strong titles, the multiplat games and the exclusives on PS4/X1 destroyed Nintendo. Nintendo barely kept their titles on the top 10 worldwide.

The Nintendo IPs alone are getting weaker and weaker among the masses.

But trying to sell your system on only your exclusives just flat out can't be done, especially when the competition has their own appealing exclusives.

The GC had decent support. Honestly, it couldn't have gotten much more with the titan that was the PS2. With good appealing hardware, Nintendo can definitely get decent support. Not amazing support but it'll be decent
Nintendo can and I think they need.

Exclusives in a business perspective doesn't matter much.

I'd agree with that if the both of them didn't develop a dedicated fanbase but they have, Sony more so than Microsoft and even Nintendo
Yes, The market is very different now than it was on SNES and N64 days. I don't believe Nintendo IPs alone will be enough to attract the wider audience that Nintendo needs. Moderate to strong 3rd party support is crucial or we're going to accept the fact that Nintendo will be niche and being niche is not enough for a multinational corporation like Nintendo.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
One more thing that I think is worth keeping in mind for when the portable and console platforms are unified, is that Nintendo might be more willing to take bigger risks. Think of a game like Splatoon, for example, and how Nintendo said repeatedly they were hesitant to make the game or didn't believe it was going to be successful. This was considering that they could only count on the install base of either the Wii U or the 3DS (if it was ever considered). When both audiences are considered together, investments like Splatoon, as well as more ridiculous investments like the Xenoblade series, make more sense. Hell, it could mean the return of F-Zero, or more likely, Metroid, as these aren't such risky propositions anymore.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
I'm starting to lean towards NX not being a Hybrid, but still having some connectivity between NX portable and NX console, like PS4 connects to Vita....

But not being the Frankenstien's monster of a hybrid yaw keep talking about....

I'm pretty sure the true Hybrid thing is not happening at this point....

Last edited:

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I'm starting to lean towards NX not being a Hybrid, but still having some connectivity between NX portable and NX console, like PS4 connects to Vita....

But not being the Frankenstien's monster of a hybrid yaw keep talking about....

I'm pretty sure the true Hybrid thing is not happening at this point....
I've been more this way since I started really paying attention to the rumors. Now I do know Iwata said it would be a hybrid I'm not here to disputed that.

It seems to make more sense to my myself for them to have a "Nintendo family" of systems more like the "3 pillers" they wanted with GBA / DS / GC. Y'all remember that e3?

It's just a very Nintendo like thing to do but make the "Nintendo family" all interconnecting.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
I mean, if it is a Hybrid system, I'm ok with that.... But I'm starting to lean towards it not being one.... Based on what little hearsay we have....
It will be a hybrid system, but not in the way we normally think of a hybrid system. In other words, not one system doing the home console and handheld parts, but still dedicated systems for home console and handheld. The hybrid portion comes from a full unification (or hybridization) of architectures, online connectivity, controls, and perhaps even games themselves (same game on both platforms, with what I hope to be a possibility of cross-buy as well).

This all falls completely in line with that the late Iwata said not even two years ago, and what Nintendo's plans were for the future of their systems. A few years ago, they merged their handheld and home console divisions in order to prevent as many droughts from happening, but also for a potential future where only one system might only be relevant in the near future, maybe 10 or so years from now. Nintendo are clearly planning for the long-term future. Iwata said that if there came a time when only one of their systems was the clear major seller (which you cold argue for the Wii U/3DS), then they might consider dropping one of those systems entirely and completely focus on one platform from then on.

I do foresee this happening at some point, but right now it just does not make sense. A hybrid system as we all want to envision would simply be too complicated and way too expensive right now. If I'm proven wrong, and Nintendo really are working on a real hybrid system (two systems-in-one), then I'd be very surprised. Yes, we know smartphones are getting more and more powerful these days, but keep in mind those are mass produced into the hundreds of millions of units, whereas consoles and gaming handhelds are only usually made into the millions, not to mention gaming platforms don't have 2 year contracts that keep the price down (I do recall rumors that something like this could happen in the near future with either Sony or Microsoft).

One thing I'll say is we are closer than ever to a full hybrid system that can be used for on-the-go and at home on the big screen, which is basically what the nVidia Shield Tablet can do, so if Nintendo were to go that route, using that as a template or an idea/concept could be interesting.

So with that in mind, here is what I envision IF the system is a real hybrid:

Ideally, in order for a hybrid system to work for Nintendo, it must support at least 720p resolution for its built-in screen, although 1080p is preferable though, given what everyone else is doing. Also, it should have good battery life, 8-10 hours is also ideal. While the 3DS XL is better than it's little brother with around 5-7 hours, it still does not reach that threshold that most of us would consider to be adequate. Also, the price needs to be ideal, probably 200-250, given that it's two system in one, and can do handheld and home console gaming. If most consoles are around the 300-400 mark, and handhelds in the 100-200 mark, that 200-250 slot would fit.

Here's another thing, and this is something that would have to be included from the get go, a HDMI dongle that wirelessly connects with the system (same principle as the Wii U gamepad). With a hybrid system though, rather than going the Wii U route where the system itself broadcasts the wireless signal to the controller and the built-in screen, this process would be reversed with a hybrid system. The controller is the system, and a HDMI dongle would hook up to your TV, and the system would broadcast a proprietary wireless signal that is designed for the system, and thus latency would be kept to a minimum. a good solid range would have to be ideal, although considering you would have to have a line of sight to see what is on the screen, I'm not too concerned about this one.

Hardware itself is tricky given the systems size, as it would likely have to be about 1/3 the size of the gamepad in its current form. Again, ideally, a clamshell design would fit the overall theme of keeping the system small, and yet have a big enough screen. So in terms of size, between the NEW 3DS XL and the Wii U Gamepad would be a good fit I think. As for the guts of the system, PS4-level would be achievable given the new Tegra X1 chip, but considering this is going to be AMD, I have no clue what they have in store.

As far as storage goes, micro SD would be the standard given its small size and pricing that is always coming down, with 128GB at prices of around 30 bucks, which isn't too shabby, so expandable storage is clearly an option as is always the case. Cloud storage would be nice for save files and other game data too.

That's about it right now for my hypothetical Nintendo hybrid system.

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
It will be a hybrid system, but not in the way we normally think of a hybrid system. In other words, not one system doing the home console and handheld parts, but still dedicated systems for home console and handheld. The hybrid portion comes from a full unification (or hybridization) of architectures, online connectivity, controls, and perhaps even games themselves (same game on both platforms, with what I hope to be a possibility of cross-buy as well).

This all falls completely in line with that the late Iwata said not even two years ago, and what Nintendo's plans were for the future of their systems. A few years ago, they merged their handheld and home console divisions in order to prevent as many droughts from happening, but also for a potential future where only one system might only be relevant in the near future, maybe 10 or so years from now. Nintendo are clearly planning for the long-term future. Iwata said that if there came a time when only one of their systems was the clear major seller (which you cold argue for the Wii U/3DS), then they might consider dropping one of those systems entirely and completely focus on one platform from then on.

I do foresee this happening at some point, but right now it just does not make sense. A hybrid system as we all want to envision would simply be too complicated and way too expensive right now. If I'm proven wrong, and Nintendo really are working on a real hybrid system (two systems-in-one), then I'd be very surprised. Yes, we know smartphones are getting more and more powerful these days, but keep in mind those are mass produced into the hundreds of millions of units, whereas consoles and gaming handhelds are only usually made into the millions, not to mention gaming platforms don't have 2 year contracts that keep the price down (I do recall rumors that something like this could happen in the near future with either Sony or Microsoft).

One thing I'll say is we are closer than ever to a full hybrid system that can be used for on-the-go and at home on the big screen, which is basically what the nVidia Shield Tablet can do, so if Nintendo were to go that route, using that as a template or an idea/concept could be interesting.

So with that in mind, here is what I envision IF the system is a real hybrid:

Ideally, in order for a hybrid system to work for Nintendo, it must support at least 720p resolution for its built-in screen, although 1080p is preferable though, given what everyone else is doing. Also, it should have good battery life, 8-10 hours is also ideal. While the 3DS XL is better than it's little brother with around 5-7 hours, it still does not reach that threshold that most of us would consider to be adequate. Also, the price needs to be ideal, probably 200-250, given that it's two system in one, and can do handheld and home console gaming. If most consoles are around the 300-400 mark, and handhelds in the 100-200 mark, that 200-250 slot would fit.

Here's another thing, and this is something that would have to be included from the get go, a HDMI dongle that wirelessly connects with the system (same principle as the Wii U gamepad). With a hybrid system though, rather than going the Wii U route where the system itself broadcasts the wireless signal to the controller and the built-in screen, this process would be reversed with a hybrid system. The controller is the system, and a HDMI dongle would hook up to your TV, and the system would broadcast a proprietary wireless signal that is designed for the system, and thus latency would be kept to a minimum. a good solid range would have to be ideal, although considering you would have to have a line of sight to see what is on the screen, I'm not too concerned about this one.

Hardware itself is tricky given the systems size, as it would likely have to be about 1/3 the size of the gamepad in its current form. Again, ideally, a clamshell design would fit the overall theme of keeping the system small, and yet have a big enough screen. So in terms of size, between the NEW 3DS XL and the Wii U Gamepad would be a good fit I think. As for the guts of the system, PS4-level would be achievable given the new Tegra X1 chip, but considering this is going to be AMD, I have no clue what they have in store.

As far as storage goes, micro SD would be the standard given its small size and pricing that is always coming down, with 128GB at prices of around 30 bucks, which isn't too shabby, so expandable storage is clearly an option as is always the case. Cloud storage would be nice for save files and other game data too.

That's about it right now for my hypothetical Nintendo hybrid system.
Yes, this!
When thinking of a family of products with hybrid design, I see 2.5 options for consumers.
1) Console with bells and whistles
2) Handheld
2.5) A dongle like Shoulder said or some other add on that could broadcast the play from the the handheld to the TV creating the handheld/console system.

(In truth, I would want the 2/2.5 option)

All games would be able to play on whatever method you choose. Thus going a long way to eliminating droughts.

Is this what Nintendo has in mind? I have no idea. But the thought of playing any Nintendo game on whatever method you choose I think is the way to go.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Problem with a hybrid is that you'll get either a overpowered handheld or an underpowered home console...
Or you're getting a scalable architecture to run games on, like high (home console) vs. low (handheld) PC settings.

I grok the reasons why people don't want a hybrid, and the drawbacks if you enjoy gaming pretty much as-is presently (handheld segregated from home console). But power is not the thing to worry about here. It just isn't. It's willfully pretending that third parties only issue is power. Again, the Wii U could've run GTA V or BioShock Infinite; power was not the issue.

Nintendo could release PS5-caliber hardware tomorrow, and there's zero guarantee that third parties would support it. The only guarantee that third parties will look at a Nintendo device is if it has an install base worth catering to. The only way to get an install base worth catering to? For Nintendo to drive sales. The easiest way for them to do that is to not split up their development resources.

That isn't to say it's gonna happen this way. Hell if I know. NX could be something else entirely.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
Or you're getting a scalable architecture to run games on, like high (home console) vs. low (handheld) PC settings.

I grok the reasons why people don't want a hybrid, and the drawbacks if you enjoy gaming pretty much as-is presently (handheld segregated from home console). But power is not the thing to worry about here. It just isn't. It's willfully pretending that third parties only issue is power. Again, the Wii U could've run GTA V or BioShock Infinite; power was not the issue.

Nintendo could release PS5-caliber hardware tomorrow, and there's zero guarantee that third parties would support it. The only guarantee that third parties will look at a Nintendo device is if it has an install base worth catering to. The only way to get an install base worth catering to? For Nintendo to drive sales. The easiest way for them to do that is to not split up their development resources.

That isn't to say it's gonna happen this way. Hell if I know. NX could be something else entirely.
I think that'll be the case for a significant portion of their software. I just don't think every game would be playable across both platforms unless Nintendo no longer wants to make games like 3D Zelda and Xenoblade Chronicles to be a showcase of their new hardware. They'd still want you to purchase more than just one of their platforms, after all, and a 100% shared library would only really be a big factor for big Nintendo fans

It's not the only thing, seeing as image, perception, marketing, and certain key decisions also played a big factor, but it's a big one. There's a reason why even the GameCube got more support and sales than the Wii-U despite the fact that the Wii-U could handle most multiplatform titles out thus far. The Wii-U being underpowered made it an overall less appealing system alongside it's GamePad, Wii branding, and price-tag

Full support? Doubtful. But GameCube-level support, which is more than we've gotten from every other Nintendo console, barring the NES/SNES, is more than doable and can be easily outdone, seeing as third-party games are almost always multiplatform these days due to their budget. Nintendo would only be splitting up their resources for games that just flat out can't be done on handhelds without serious drawbacks or require a specific gimmick, like dual-screens. Everything else would be across both platforms

Yeah, it'll more than likely be a family of systems if Iwata's words and rumors are anything to go by, like an NX home console and an NX handheld that share most games

theMightyME

and even then... the wii stands as evidence that even that is no gurantee

there will always be an excuse, always a reason to move the goalpost again

theMightyME

Bullshit, seeing as something like Xenoblade Chronicles X or Zelda U couldn't have been done on the 3DS without serious drawbacks. There's more to power than just graphics, otherwise Nintendo could've just made these kind of games on the 3DS. At best, it got remakes of N64 Zelda titles and a version of Xenoblade Chronicles with a piss poor frame-rate, resolution, etc. Nintendo still needs power, just not for all of their games. That and, well, you still need to have a system that's reasonably priced, doesn't overheat, etc. if you wanna make a portable. Sure, Nintendo can make a hybrid a bit more capable than the Wii-U but that just gives consumers another reason to not even bother with a Nintendo system and, without the cheapness of handhelds, it becomes desirable by only a few. People still want to be wowed by new hardware. You need a wow factor and having a Wii-U+ level system in 2016 won't let you do that, even if it has all of Nintendo's software as not everyone likes only Nintendo's software

Except a good amount of it does have to do with those systems being either underpowered or overpowered. The Wii-U being underpowered already turned off both consumers and developers and the GamePad just made things worse. The Vita was an impressive piece of tech but, with most handheld titles not being huge mainstream titles, why would most developers put in the time to make games that take advantage of the system's beefy hardware?

Not at all, it makes it easier to make one game only for both systems, instead of making one game specifically for a handheld and then a home console and thus freeing up a lot of Nintendo's developers to work on more franchises, both new and old. This also gives consumers a reason to get another system as they'll share a lot of the same games while also offering exclusive titles not available on their respective handheld and home console

Oh no, Nintendo will probably never see full third-party support on their home console but they still need at least some support. Any support is better than what we got with the Wii-U. There's a reason why the 3DS has sold more hardware and is overall more liked than the Wii-U. Also, sure, a lot of third-party titles currently out could've come to the Wii-U but, when with the Wii-U being as unappealing as it is and it's hardware making it difficult to bring competent ports over on top of underpowered hardware, is it any wonder that third-party developers dropped it like a bad habit? I know the GameCube had more consistent support for a longer period of time, as did the Wii and even the N64

There's no way Nintendo could ever get rid of droughts on their own. That's impossible. No way could they ever single-handedly replace the sheer variety and number of titles produced by nearly every other developer out there. The problem I have with a hybrid is that it doesn't really fix anything and introduces some of it's own problems
The ONLY active franchise Nintendo has that would truly crave more power than the wii u offers is xenoblade... a game series I adore... BUT a game series that sells in the hundreds of thousands.... nintendo will not (and should not) cater their power towards a single niche game, multiplats that nobody willc are about on a nintendo system, and games that publishers will find some other excuse not to include on the nx anyways...

it isn't that power has never mattered.. it is that what the wii u can do is good enough... the games that truly sell nintendo systems... mario, mario kart, pokemon, splatoon (now) no longer want for power.. sure they could make use of more power, but at this point it is as mike has said ebfore.. more about the cost of making the games than the hardware power that keeps the games from greater fidelity

I think the NX SHOULD be more pwoerful than the wii u... buit it doesn;t need to be anywhere NEAR ps4 power.... and the power it can strive for is alreadye xistent in this world in a portable form factor...

the ideal NX launch (ideal for nintendo) is a hybrid device , a singular single skyu hybrid... a LARGE portable form factor (think 3ds XL) the larger form factor of the new 3ds is outselling the smaller version in both the US and Japan... larger is also cheaper, easier to make run cooler, and provides mroe space for battery... meaning they could make a larger portable to start and then shrink it as time goes on, which would be cost effective... I don't see nintendo EVER doing an NX console, if they do it'll be like the vita TV... not a more powrful device... just a non portable with the same internals

- 6" 720p screen (most phones now with a screen over 4" are running 2k and 4k screens, 1080p 5" screens have been standard in phones for about 3 years now) but capable of outputting 1080p wireless to the TV (not 1080p as a standard resolution, but 1080p capable, like the wii u)
- a 4 core processor, probably not x86, maybe risc, maybe arm - clocked at about 2Ghz
- 4gb of ram
- 32-64gb internal storage with sdxc support for more (sdxc can go up to 2tb, you can get a 64gb card for about $25 now, by the end of 2016 that will probably be the price for a 128gb card)
- a card slot like on the 3ds
- support for wii u pro controllers
- a chromecast-esque dongle that works like the wii u gamepad in reverse
- wifi, blutooth, nfc
- gyroscope, accelerometers, and other sensors
- front facing and rear facing cameras

priced at about $200, or $250 with a game (though only 1 launch sku), probably at a loss for nintendo.. but not a significant loss

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
The ONLY active franchise Nintendo has that would truly crave more power than the wii u offers is xenoblade... a game series I adore... BUT a game series that sells in the hundreds of thousands.... nintendo will not (and should not) cater their power towards a single niche game, multiplats that nobody willc are about on a nintendo system, and games that publishers will find some other excuse not to include on the nx anyways...

it isn't that power has never mattered.. it is that what the wii u can do is good enough... the games that truly sell nintendo systems... mario, mario kart, pokemon, splatoon (now) no longer want for power.. sure they could make use of more power, but at this point it is as mike has said ebfore.. more about the cost of making the games than the hardware power that keeps the games from greater fidelity

I think the NX SHOULD be more pwoerful than the wii u... buit it doesn;t need to be anywhere NEAR ps4 power.... and the power it can strive for is alreadye xistent in this world in a portable form factor...

the ideal NX launch (ideal for nintendo) is a hybrid device , a singular single skyu hybrid... a LARGE portable form factor (think 3ds XL) the larger form factor of the new 3ds is outselling the smaller version in both the US and Japan... larger is also cheaper, easier to make run cooler, and provides mroe space for battery... meaning they could make a larger portable to start and then shrink it as time goes on, which would be cost effective... I don't see nintendo EVER doing an NX console, if they do it'll be like the vita TV... not a more powrful device... just a non portable with the same internals

- 6" 720p screen (most phones now with a screen over 4" are running 2k and 4k screens, 1080p 5" screens have been standard in phones for about 3 years now) but capable of outputting 1080p wireless to the TV (not 1080p as a standard resolution, but 1080p capable, like the wii u)
- a 4 core processor, probably not x86, maybe risc, maybe arm - clocked at about 2Ghz
- 4gb of ram
- 32-64gb internal storage with sdxc support for more (sdxc can go up to 2tb, you can get a 64gb card for about $25 now, by the end of 2016 that will probably be the price for a 128gb card)
- a card slot like on the 3ds
- support for wii u pro controllers
- a chromecast-esque dongle that works like the wii u gamepad in reverse
- wifi, blutooth, nfc
- gyroscope, accelerometers, and other sensors
- front facing and rear facing cameras

priced at about $200, or $250 with a game (though only 1 launch sku), probably at a loss for nintendo.. but not a significant loss
That's hardly the only one. Zelda and Metroid would also benefit from more powerful hardware as would any potential new IP from them and third-party developers that make games for their handhelds. What you're suggesting is that they should become a Nintendo-only box, which isn't something that has ever worked

Even the Wii/GC was "good enough" as far as Nintendo's games are concerned. Nintendo can make good stuff on any hardware. Hell, the PS3/360 was "good enough" for most developers. But we still got more powerful hardware with the PS4/XB1 'cause that's what developers want, including the ones that work with Nintendo, like Namco Bandai, SEGA, Capcom, Level-5, Square Enix, etc. I have no doubt that, had the Wii-U's hardware been comparable to the PS4/XB1, they would've supported the Wii-U very well

If that was the case, Iwata wouldn't have had to clarify that the NX family would be like "brothers" and that the solution wasn't to merge their home consoles and handhelds if they planned on foregoing home consoles and just make a hybrid with a VitaTV-esque device

I can't imagine how quickly the battery would be drained or how hot the system would get

Goodtwin

I feel like Nintendo not releasing at some rudimentary information on the NX is going to backfire on them. The run up to the reveal is making expectations so sky high, it's almost impossible for Nintendo to meet them.
I disagree, most people that aren't big fans of Nintendo are expecting an underpowered piece of shit with some crappy gimic. I on the other hand remain optimistic that I will love it.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
I think that'll be the case for a significant portion of their software. I just don't think every game would be playable across both platforms unless Nintendo no longer wants to make games like 3D Zelda and Xenoblade Chronicles to be a showcase of their new hardware. They'd still want you to purchase more than just one of their platforms, after all, and a 100% shared library would only really be a big factor for big Nintendo fans.
See, on the bolded, I disagree. Right now, most people who play Nintendo hardware are doing it on a handheld. Give them a greater library, and odds are you'll sell more software. Nintendo diehards will buy two pieces of kit. But this gen has shown that pretty much no one else will.

On the showcase standpoint, perhaps on some games. But when I look at something like Zelda U, I see far more attention paid to art and color than pushing more polys for detail. And Zelda is the big "hardcore" game for Nintendo. I think they can get by with an art > power ethos, but that's JMO.
I feel like Nintendo not releasing at some rudimentary information on the NX is going to backfire on them. The run up to the reveal is making expectations so sky high, it's almost impossible for Nintendo to meet them.
I disagree, most people that aren't big fans of Nintendo are expecting an underpowered piece of shit with some crappy gimic. I on the other hand remain optimistic that I will love it.
I dunno. I think clarity is very, very, very, very important here after the Wii U's reveal. If I were Nintendo, I'd try to get ahead of some of these rumors for that reason. They showed off the Wii console over a year before release, and the Wii remote at TGS 2005. You can build hype by clearly showing why people should be excited. If the NX launches in 2016, they aren't doing that.

Yet.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
See, on the bolded, I disagree. Right now, most people who play Nintendo hardware are doing it on a handheld. Give them a greater library, and odds are you'll sell more software. Nintendo diehards will buy two pieces of kit. But this gen has shown that pretty much no one else will.

On the showcase standpoint, perhaps on some games. But when I look at something like Zelda U, I see far more attention paid to art and color than pushing more polys for detail. And Zelda is the big "hardcore" game for Nintendo. I think they can get by with an art > power ethos, but that's JMO.

I dunno. I think clarity is very, very, very, very important here after the Wii U's reveal. If I were Nintendo, I'd try to get ahead of some of these rumors for that reason. They showed off the Wii console over a year before release, and the Wii remote at TGS 2005. You can build hype by clearly showing why people should be excited. If the NX launches in 2016, they aren't doing that.

Yet.
The reason why tho for me there not doing it "yet" is because they have something that is very easy to understand for everyone.

And honestly I think the reason we haven't had any info on it is because Nintendo is hiding a bomb that the world has not yet seen.

Odo

You know It'll end up being a new gamepad for Wii U called Wii U2 that people will think it's a new console but it's a gamepad and consumers will get confused.

It'll come out with a U2 single for free.

Shoulder

The reason why tho for me there not doing it "yet" is because they have something that is very easy to understand for everyone.

And honestly I think the reason we haven't had any info on it is because Nintendo is hiding a bomb that the world has not yet seen.
To be fair, Nintendo almost assured us that the Wii U was a simple console, and in retrospect it is. The issue? They failed to convey what the system was, and how it works. Yes, we Nintendo fans know what the Wii U is and what the Gamepad was used for, and how it worked. The average consumer? They thought the Gamepad was a Wii add-on as we all know. Nintendo were simply incompetent when it came to conveying what in the hell this system was and what it could do. Now, I get it. Consumers are stupid, so trying to explain something like this to your average consumer is like trying to explain to your average voter the difference between socialism and communism.

We know that whatever the competition does, Nintendo doesn't. Voice chat in their games? "Nah, we don't need that. We'll use either a keyboard, or simple commands." Look, I get it that not everyone wants to hear some annoying kids voice scream into their speakers, but when playing with a group of friends? For fuck sakes, is it too much to ask for your friends? I mean, seriously? You're seriously suggesting we just use some third party program to get voice chat to work, when having it built into the game from the get go would be so much easier for everyone? I know what's going on here. For you, it's hard. It's really, and makes you want to go poopy.

Sorry for the slight rant on voice chat again, but that I think epitomizes where Nintendo stands with regards to "normal" things they cannot be bothered with.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018

On the showcase standpoint, perhaps on some games. But when I look at something like Zelda U, I see far more attention paid to art and color than pushing more polys for detail. And Zelda is the big "hardcore" game for Nintendo. I think they can get by with an art > power ethos, but that's JMO
Well you'll definitely sell more software, no doubt about that. I just don't think a 100% shared library of Nintendo games means much to most gamers these days. It'd help but I don't think it'd help too much

Well power isn't just for visuals, of course. It's also for offering a larger world alongside more NPCs and better AI and the other things that come along with more powerful hardware. I mean, they could've made Zelda U for the Wii but it wouldn't have impressed like Zelda U has

sjmartin79

Nintendo's been rubbish at getting across their products and ideas.
Not always true. Their "Wii Would Like To Play" commercials introducing the Wii to families was a great campaign. Totally got across the point of motion controls and local multiplayer for the Wii Sports games.

We just have to hope that whatever the NX is that they are able to get it across like that.

Edit: Remembered the correct name of the campaign, so changed that.

Last edited:

SkywardCrowbar

Twintelle's loyal Husbando

Yet.
Exactly. At this stage, since the first about 2 months of 2016 have already passed, I really wish NX would be launching in 2017. There's a bunch of rumors flying, some sit better with gamers than others. I'm not convinced that letting everyone stew over what this thing is going to be is helping Nintendo if it is coming out shortly.

The Wii U launch was a disaster starting at E3. A fair number of gaming analysts and gamers alike didn't know if it was a new system or just an add-on for the Wii. Nintendo did little to disprove that thinking until AFTER the system was sent out into the wild. Nintendo needs to avoid all of these mistakes like the black death if they want the NX to thrive. For that reason, I want EVERYONE to know exactly what the NX is about, what kinds of things it can do, and awhile before launch, at least 1 major game that people can play on it.

Shoulder

Let me just say Nintendo never fucking advertised or marketed the Wii U until way after launch, when they started doing a halfway decent job and then leading to now where they have their head screwed on much tighter.
And here's another thing that Nintendo did not understand: Yes, they sold over 100 million Wii consoles, BUT how many of those 100 million buyers still played them by the time the Wii U launched? I'd like to think Nintendo had logs of every Wii system bought and knew who were playing theirs and who weren't, but something tells me they did not have that info.

So by simply letting Wii owners know via the shop channel, or whatever on the system that the new Wii U system is out probably did not get through to as many people as they had hoped. Nintendo relied too heavily on the Wii moniker (hence the Wii U's name), so they figured it'll sell itself. I would think they got too cocky and thought this bubble wasn't a bubble at all, and instead an upward trend for them.

The Wii, despite some very good games, was a bubble waiting to burst, and when the Wii U came about, the bubble had already burst, and people were not interested in anything "Wii."

This is also why Nintendo needs a good name for the NX platform. It's possible NX is technically the name already, dubbed Nintendo Xtreme or something, but that sounds bad.

Last edited:

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
It's still possible for the Wii U to release in 2016. Remember that the PS4 and the Xbone were both revealed early in 2013, and released in late 2013. Nintendo also did this with the 3DS, revealing it during E3 2010 and releasing it in early 2011, before a year had passed. They did not do the same with the Wii U, but that doesn't rule out them doing it with the NX.

hogge

Problem with a hybrid is that you'll get either a overpowered handheld or an underpowered home console, seeing as they'll still need to have a system that's a leap over their last one, and neither of those two things are particularly desirable, especially these days (Looks at the Wii-U and Vita). I think it's more likely that Nintendo will have two systems with similar enough architecture to make porting and developing games between the two as easy as possible while still offering consumers a reason to get one system or the other, such as a few different titles that are difficult to / too costly to get running on a handheld, games that are more suitable for handhelds / the handheld audience, etc.

I don't quite agree with you on that.
The gap between home console and portable devices isn't as massive as it used to. The versions could share visual assets, like 3D models and textures, but differ on things like resolution, framerate, anti-aliasing and shaders. Heck, Unity even has settings to automatically change texture resolutions and lock out the highest LOD's.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
I don't quite agree with you on that.
The gap between home console and portable devices isn't as massive as it used to. The versions could share visual assets, like 3D models and textures, but differ on things like resolution, framerate, anti-aliasing and shaders. Heck, Unity even has settings to automatically change texture resolutions and lock out the highest LOD's.
It's definitely smaller than it was before but there's still quite a difference. I mean, something like Zelda U can't be done on the 3DS without serious drawbacks. Even the successor would probably have some trouble running it, much like the 3DS has trouble running Wii ports. Not to mention, do console gamers want up-ressed handheld games and would handheld gamers want downgraded console games? For several of Nintendo's games, it wouldn't matter that much but it'd still matter for their larger franchises

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

SkywardCrowbar

It's definitely smaller than it was before but there's still quite a difference. I mean, something like Zelda U can't be done on the 3DS without serious drawbacks. Even the successor would probably have some trouble running it, much like the 3DS has trouble running Wii ports. Not to mention, do console gamers want up-ressed handheld games and would handheld gamers want downgraded console games? For several of Nintendo's games, it wouldn't matter that much but it'd still matter for their larger franchises

Sent from my SM-G920V using genital warts
I want there to still be some difference between the games on the handheld and on the home system. I like the idea of being able to stream games between a home and handheld system, but I think it's of more value to gamers for the two systems to bring different, unique things to the table instead of just being graphically different versions of the same thing.

Btw, who is the girl in your Avatar?

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
I want there to still be some difference between the games on the handheld and on the home system. I like the idea of being able to stream games between a home and handheld system, but I think it's of more value to gamers for the two systems to bring different, unique things to the table instead of just being graphically different versions of the same thing.

Btw, who is the girl in your Avatar?
Nice to see one person agrees with me ;_;

Ana Cheri

sjmartin79

That's not really a fair comparison, because you're talking about released Nintendo technology and not future/potential Nintendo technology that they are currently working to release.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
That's not really a fair comparison, because you're talking about released Nintendo technology and not future/potential Nintendo technology that they are currently working to release.
Well I'd be willing to bet even the 3DS successor will have trouble running Zelda U without at least some drawbacks, much like DKCR and Xenoblade Chronicles did on the 3DS. Yeah, the game's are playable but they're downports of home console games and handheld owners don't want a system that's just an inferior version of the home console. I mean, just look at the Vita

SkywardCrowbar

Well I'd be willing to bet even the 3DS successor will have trouble running Zelda U without at least some drawbacks, much like DKCR and Xenoblade Chronicles did on the 3DS. Yeah, the game's are playable but they're downports of home console games and handheld owners don't want a system that's just an inferior version of the home console. I mean, just look at the Vita
DKCR was awesome on 3DS but from what I've seen of Xenoblade Chronicles, it's a really drastic downgrade. Also, there's a different kind of experience that most games on handhelds should be geared towards. I don't want to lose that division of gaming labor so to say.

Also, excellent point about people not wanting to buy the Vita considering it is largely just a downpowered version of Sony home hardware. Nintendo needs to avoid mistakes of both Wii U and Vita. You learn from the past and look for the future. Nintendo needs to find their own path, instead of trying to emulate what others have done. Nintendo has never been a follower.

Last edited:

sjmartin79

But haven't we been hearing that there is technology out there to make a portable Wii U? I may be wrong, but I thought the techy-er (Is that a word?) guys on here have been saying that the chipsets and everything are there to make it happen.
I would be honestly shocked if the next Nintendo handheld was not as powerful as the Wii U. Wouldn't that be the point of a "family" of devices?

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
But haven't we been hearing that there is technology out there to make a portable Wii U? I may be wrong, but I thought the techy-er (Is that a word?) guys on here have been saying that the chipsets and everything are there to make it happen.
I would be honestly shocked if the next Nintendo handheld was not as powerful as the Wii U. Wouldn't that be the point of a "family" of devices?
Oh that can be definitely be done and I'm fully expecting it to be the case. I just get the feeling, after the 3DS, they want to have a low price from the get-go, like below $200 maybe, and avoid low battery life / any kind of overheating, so it'll be somewhat worse off in power but with a more modern efficient design, much like what the 3DS was in relation to the Wii

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
DKCR was awesome on 3DS but from what I've seen of Xenoblade Chronicles, it's a really drastic downgrade. Also, there's a different kind of experience that most games on handhelds should be geared towards. I don't want to lose that division of gaming labor so to say.

Also, excellent point about people not wanting to buy the Vita considering it is largely just a downpowered version of Sony home hardware. Nintendo needs to avoid mistakes of both Wii U and Vita. You learn from the past and look for the future. Nintendo needs to find their own path, instead of trying to emulate what others have done. Nintendo has never been a follower.
DKCR3D was awesome but running at 30 FPS kind of took away from the experience. Xenoblade Chronicles had quite the drastic downgrade indeed. Still playable but definitely worse off than the Wii. As for handheld-only experiences...hmm...I think stuff like that will be the case for games that make use of handheld-specific features or if the developers don't feel it's worth it to bring it over to the home console

Definitely. Not to say that they shouldn't look at the Vita / PS3 / PS4 situation but they should do it in a way that doesn't take away from either of their platforms

Goodtwin

Nintendo is in a different situation with NX. Vita certainly hasnt taken off, and that shows where their market is. Nintendo is trying to capitalize on their strong marketshare on the portable side. Building off their strength instead of fighting an uphill battle.