NX Official Thread of Waiting - News, Rumors and Discussion

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
http://www.destructoid.com/are-these-leaked-images-of-the-nintendo-nx-controller--349431.phtml

SEEMS TO MATCH A NINTENDO OWNED PATENT

Back in December of 2015, Destructoid reported on a Nintendo patent for a game console controller, which many assumed to be for the upcoming NX hardware Nintendo has been teasing.

[X] ADVERTISEMENT

According to a post by Alexander Maier over at Dual Pixels, what follows is a leaked image of the NX controller, which matches the patent we previously reported on. The image was apparently provided to Maier by a new source, going by the name Idriss2Dev.

http://dualpixels.com/2016/03/17/dual-pixels-exclusive-nintendo-nx-controller-leaked-photos/

A new source exclusive to Dual Pixels, who also reached out this time for us on Reddit, has informed us to share this exciting news. Dual Pixels would like to publish what we label as a “leak” of the controllers of Nintendo’s next generation. Photographs of the leak, along as a link and photos to a patent found matching this, will be found below.

The first thing I did when we saw this image was run it through a program often used to tell if an image has been Photoshopped, based on highlighting aspects of an image that will be inconsistent in Photoshops.

"While the image shows evidence of multiple times being saved over, this could be explained by the presence of the large black rectangle and date stamp on the image. It looks otherwise consistent, leading us to suspect that the image has not been Photoshopped significantly.

However, there are seeming inconsistencies with the lighting sources in the image, which mean this should still be taken with a decently sized grain of salt.

It is important to note that if this is development hardware, it may vary from the retail version of the controller. There may still be time to remove what appears to be touch screen buttons on this design.

So, what do you think of the design? I think with all these alleged leaks happening, the time for Nintendo to formally reveal the console has to come as soon as possible."

BobSilencieux

My thoughts exactly. It looks like somebody saw that patent image and made a mock-up to look exactly like it. So of course, it looks like it would be EXTREMELY uncomfortable to hold, and all post-NES Nintendo controllers are very ergonomic in their design.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
I honestly don't know what to make of those photos. I like the idea of free-form touch screens, as I think in Nintendo's case, it would be used as a alternative means for button layout and other things, which could be a good or bad thing.

I think they are going with that idea, but you know, with a form factor that makes fucking sense. As big as the gamepad is, its light and ergonomic and placement all around works. The patent drawing laid out an idea, but its nowhere near a gameplay-first design that would be priority in a Nintendo controller.
So fuck this fan for ruining Nintendo NX discussion across the internet for another month.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....

nerdman

pig's gotta fly
Hmm, I'm not sure. The controller looking closely like the patent is not usual for Nintendo and the Unreal photo being cut into there makes it very fishy, but yet I can't shake the feeling that part of it's real.

Not only did Nintendo patent this stuff, so something like this is very likely coming, but a trusted poster at Gaf said that his sources were not happy about these leaks.

I feel pretty confident NX is going to be another Wii. I'm talking motion controls, just a console that is very focused on capturing the casuals.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Damn, I came to this thread to post this, but got side tracked.

Wii U stops production by end of 2016.
Wow. I think that pretty much ends that bet from awhile back - I forget amongst who - about the Wii U getting lifetime sales approaching the GameCube. Ain't happening.
Team 2016 wins again with the latest news.
Indeed. Apparently accessories are already being phased out.

http://www.engadget.com/2016/03/22/nintendo-reportedly-stopping-wii-u-production-late-2016/

Alas, Wii U. We hardly knew ye.

In terms of that controller, what would be the point of a controller in which your thumbs block some of the screen? I don't believe that's what we're getting, but still, that would be dumb.

As for Wii U discontinuing, I guess this E3 is gonna be my personal PS4 vs NX. Which system will I buy for my birthday and which system will wait at least another year or so.

nerdman

pig's gotta fly
In terms of that controller, what would be the point of a controller in which your thumbs block some of the screen? I don't believe that's what we're getting, but still, that would be dumb.
What I envision is something like the Vita or original GBA, but the whole flat surface is a screen. Buttons and dpads are poking up through the screen. The game screen is still boxed in the middle of the device, and the screen space outside the game view is for HUD stuff like we see on the gamepad. The benefit is being able to have custom buttons within thumb's reach.

What I envision is something like the Vita or original GBA, but the whole flat surface is a screen. Buttons and dpads are poking up through the screen. The game screen is still boxed in the middle of the device, and the screen space outside the game view is for HUD stuff like we see on the gamepad. The benefit is being able to have custom buttons within thumb's reach.
Maybe, but still not sold. I just don't buy a controller in which your thumbs block anything. If I'm playing Zelda and I have to move my left hand to see what items I have equipped is kinda stupid imo

nerdman

pig's gotta fly
Maybe, but still not sold. I just don't buy a controller in which your thumbs block anything. If I'm playing Zelda and I have to move my left hand to see what items I have equipped is kinda stupid imo
Well, I would hope designers wouldn't put HUD stuff where they know you're thumb is going to be.

I'm not sold either. I think another part of it is that it has fancy curved screen and is mobile friendly to attract casuals.

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
Yeah, Nintendo keeps older systems in production for at least a good bit after the release of a next-gens, so I doubt the Wii U is going the way of the Dodo just yet.

praisegrima

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
If nothing else, Nintendo is more likely to slash the price of the Wii U by the end of the year in order to sell their stockpile.

If the NX is coming out in late 2016 early 2017, a price drop would be beneficial for them if they want more Wii U systems out there.

If they put the price at 200, that would be very enticing for many, I'm sure.

EvilTw1n

Don't mourn for the Wii U just yet. Nintendo has denied rumors of stopping production.

NX rumors? Not a word.
I'd wager there's probably an "in the middle" truth. Perhaps main factory production has been scaled way, way down (to make way for NX), but not ended.
New images of rumored NX controller.

Source
Huh.

Either the hoax has become more elaborate, or that's...really it.

If the latter? Doesn't look comfortable, but I love it when Nintendo lets their freak flag fly.

nerdman

pig's gotta fly
I'm confident that is the direction they are taking. My guess is that it's like a Wii U gamepad when in range of the console, and it's like a iTouch when away.

Either way, it's definitely a device that is trying to capture casual gamers.

EvilTw1n

I'm confident that is the direction they are taking. My guess is that it's like a Wii U gamepad when in range of the console, and it's like a iTouch when away.

Either way, it's definitely a device that is trying to capture casual gamers.
I was just texting about this sort of thing. It could be mobile, but not mobile like we have been thinking of.

Odo

Nintendo's dead. No face buttons, no triggers (they're mouse wheels or something). As of now, I'm definitely not buying NX.
It might not be true or might be a leaked prototype.

It could end up being a more standard controller with that screen included.

The ruse cruise takes an elaborate turn for the what the fuck, lmao Nintendo.

For one, fuck The Division.
Ok.

This thing, this monstrosity, ok, better be another prototype that's missing buttons and shit. Or has some REASONABLE, GAMEPLAY GOOD, alternative. Like actual haptic buttons. I mean, their fancy new screens could pull that off, right?

Also, man, I'm happy the scroll buttons are a thing, but man, no triggers either?
Its just a devkit ok, so the final model will probably look much better but missing these valuables is just strange.

I dont know guys. Hopefully they have some other hook because this controller looks like a huge misstep otherwise, fmpov. I will wait and see to pass final judgment, but just for now, its not good.

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
It looks like it would be painful to hold... worse than even the boomerang PS3 controller to be honest. Also the lack of physical buttons :msick:

Hopefully we won't need to wait long to find out if this is legit or not. I'm hoping we won't need to wait until E3, but at the very least we should learn if we will in a little over a month. Nintendo is releasing their year end results on April 27th and if tradition holds up at the very least we will get a small press release saying the "NX will be revealed at E3".

nerdman

pig's gotta fly
Yeah, he is banned from GAF (but so are we!). It could be damage control from Nintendo. They've been known to deny price drops/handheld upgrades weeks before they are announced.

This pic from GAF sums it up nicely.

EvilTw1n

Ah, how I miss @NintendoMan. Also, some of the GAF schadenfreude is delicious.

I do wonder if there's some weasel-y PR in there. "Those pics are fake!" doesn't mean that the device being portrayed is.

If it's real, I'd hope it goes into Iwata-san's idea on more than one form factor. Maybe this NX is supposed to be mobile. The 3DS is a portable, but it's not something you can easily slide into a jean pocket. This is.