NX Official Thread of Waiting - News, Rumors and Discussion

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
the controller snapping off part fits in with the current trend of modular devices too.... I know that the moto z uses modular devices held on by nothing but magnets, and add in some wireless charging to the mix and things could get kind of cool...

as for hybrid... not much else to say...

I doubt it is the X1 as that chip will be 1.5 years old by the time the nx comes out... I imagine it will instead have a heavily modified version of the X1's successor (this is IF any of this is true to begin with)

with a portable device at a console spec here are the issues

heat, drain, storage, and price

heat is the big performance issue, drain is how long the battery last, and Nintendo always seems to skimp on battery, storage can be solved if the device uses carts, but more importantly if it supports sdxc, and price could probably be met reasonably if nintendo skimps in the right areas.... like they could totally cut down to a 720p screen despite most phones coming out now sporting 4k screens.... the 4k is primarily for text readability, which isn't too much of an issue on a gaming device.

if this rumor is true.. here are my sub-predictions
- the tegra chip will be a modified version of the x1's successor
- it will have a 720p (or lower) screen
- the device will be larger than a 3ds.. not necessarily thicker, but a larger screen(s) larger width and length
- price point will be $250, but might include something to push up the value.. a pack in game, maybe, but probably not zelda or anything really big
- 16gb on system storage (yes that is low) with support for sdxc (expandable to 2TB)
- battery will be woefully inadequate, but the system will make pretty good use of what it gives... I am thinking something like 1000 mAh
- the detachable controllers will snap on and off with magnets, and you will be able to replace them with 3rd party units
- 4GB of ram

for those who do not know... here are some tegra x1 specs
- supports Unreal Engine 4, DirectX 12, OpenGL 4.5
- 8 CPU cores (I think they will shrink this to 4, as the new trend with CPU cores is less, but larger)
- 256 GPU cores
- TFLOP (1000 GFLOP) performance (wii u is about 350GFLOP, ps3 about 240, ps4 around 1.84 TFLOP)

when iut coems to FLOP performance, remember these re all theoretical.. mobile will always underperform on the numbers too because of heat and drain issues as well as extrenious processes... those are the real battles nintendo is fighting... if they don't depend too much on making the device thin like a phone they can use better cooling, it wont need all of the extra processes a phone runs, nor does it demand the same standby battery time (though it arguably needs more in use battery time)

Last edited:

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
the controller snapping off part fits in with the current trend of modular devices too.... I know that the moto z uses modular devices held on by nothing but magnets, and add in some wireless charging to the mix and things could get kind of cool...

as for hybrid... not much else to say...

I doubt it is the X1 as that chip will be 1.5 years old by the time the nx comes out... I imagine it will instead have a heavily modified version of the X1's successor (this is IF any of this is true to begin with)

with a portable device at a console spec here are the issues

heat, drain, storage, and price

heat is the big performance issue, drain is how long the battery last, and Nintendo always seems to skimp on battery, storage can be solved if the device uses carts, but more importantly if it supports sdxc, and price could probably be met reasonably if nintendo skimps in the right areas.... like they could totally cut down to a 720p screen despite most phones coming out now sporting 4k screens.... the 4k is primarily for text readability, which isn't too much of an issue on a gaming device.

if this rumor is true.. here are my sub-predictions
- the tegra chip will be a modified version of the x1's successor
- it will have a 720p (or lower) screen
- the device will be larger than a 3ds.. not necessarily thicker, but a larger screen(s) larger width and length
- price point will be $250, but might include something to push up the value.. a pack in game, maybe, but probably not zelda or anything really big
- 16gb on system storage (yes that is low) with support for sdxc (expandable to 2TB)
- battery will be woefully inadequate, but the system will make pretty good use of what it gives... I am thinking something like 1000 mAh
- the detachable controllers will snap on and off with magnets, and you will be able to replace them with 3rd party units
- 4GB of ram

for those who do not know... here are some tegra x1 specs
- supports Unreal Engine 4, DirectX 12, OpenGL 4.5
- 8 CPU cores (I think they will shrink this to 4, as the new trend with CPU cores is less, but larger)
- 256 GPU cores
- TFLOP (1000 GFLOP) performance (wii u is about 350GFLOP, ps3 about 240, ps4 around 1.84 TFLOP)

when iut coems to FLOP performance, remember these re all theoretical.. mobile will always underperform on the numbers too because of heat and drain issues as well as extrenious processes... those are the real battles nintendo is fighting... if they don't depend too much on making the device thin like a phone they can use better cooling, it wont need all of the extra processes a phone runs, nor does it demand the same standby battery time (though it arguably needs more in use battery time)
This is why I thought of the idea of Nintendo utilizing the supplemental computing device patent. Basically, with on-the-go, the whole gaming experience is scaled down for a couple reasons. 1) It saves on battery life, and 2) you don't really need the best of graphical horsepower on a small screen. The dock would not only "tell" the system it's docked, but the dock itself contains another Tegra X1 chip to basically double the output. Like you said though, knowing Nintendo, if this is true, they'll want to modify the chip to either scale it down to reduce power consumption and heat, but still provide adequate horsepower.

Goodtwin

It really depends on the price Nintendo is shooting for. I could see the Tegra X1 being the processor for cost, and because Nintendo doesn't typically like to work with untested hardware. When you look at X1 as more of a 3DS successir, and not direct competition to Xbox and Playstation, the power of the Tegra X1 seems to fit the bill. I would love to be wrong, and have NX feature the next gen Tegra, but I'm not counting on it. Look what Nintendo accomplished on Wii U. Now give them 3x the processing power and memory, along with high speed cartridges compared to dial drives, and I think Nintendo has a 1080p 60fps hardware for its games.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
the controller though. I hope its a very early mock-up.
My dreams for that design do not lie in "instant local" out of the box, thats stupid. Aside from the whole idea of NX pretty being word for word what @theMightyME called (fucking kicking myself for not acting on the whole "We have a source!" idea, imagine how famous we'd be!), the controller splitting off like that is very much dream designs from many an old IGN users who had hoped for 2 wiimotes with IR with analog sticks as an ideal controller. The possibilities are making me mad.
Honestly, I'm hoping that the controller is not a mock-up from Nintendo at all, and just some design from someone at Eurogamer who asked asked to sketch something for the article.
I'm hoping for something more 3DS-esque with the design. Detachable controllers really don't appeal to me that much.

right, thats what I mean by mock-up, as in something drawn up by the source or journo based on what they heard. It will undoubtedly be a very early look of it. They have to nail the form factor, as much as I like the 3DS its a pain on long sessions.

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
So my thoughts are that we may see the X2 GPU due to the rumors circulating that the dev kit has a fan on an X1 processor. I think they may have the X1 chip ramped up to run without balancing power/heat to sort of simulate what the X2 (or what @theMightyME said, a modified chip) is capable of doing. I think a fan on a system like this would kill battery life pretty quickly and its odd to see that sort of thing in a dev kit on a gpu not originally made for fans.

I had mentioned a couple months ago modular design for the NX regarding the screen popping out and this leak is aligning with my thoughts on the system. I could very easily see this slotting into a headset ala Samsung VR and then using the breakaway controllers for control. Nintendo is making a very smart move with the breakaway controller style. I would also think they could make better handles to snap on for comfort. The mention of magnets is a smart one but I feel like they would probably have some sort of stronger connection for stability purposes and to allow charging of the controller units from the main unit itself.

This is an exciting leak from the perspective of a gadget nerd like me. I am still hoping that they have a handheld that is X1 and scaled down with a home unit running an X2 that will pump better graphics out. That would be the ideal situation for me. Sell the portable for $250 and then also sell the home station with just the dock for $200 (usable with a controller sans screen) or the whole thing for $400 (portable + dock).

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
It really depends on the price Nintendo is shooting for. I could see the Tegra X1 being the processor for cost, and because Nintendo doesn't typically like to work with untested hardware. When you look at X1 as more of a 3DS successir, and not direct competition to Xbox and Playstation, the power of the Tegra X1 seems to fit the bill. I would love to be wrong, and have NX feature the next gen Tegra, but I'm not counting on it. Look what Nintendo accomplished on Wii U. Now give them 3x the processing power and memory, along with high speed cartridges compared to dial drives, and I think Nintendo has a 1080p 60fps hardware for its games.
Nintendo has never used an off the shelf processor, so all of their hardware has been untested.... the X1's successor will be a continuation of the X1's architecture anyways, which itself is a successor the k1 architecture

So my thoughts are that we may see the X2 GPU due to the rumors circulating that the dev kit has a fan on an X1 processor. I think they may have the X1 chip ramped up to run without balancing power/heat to sort of simulate what the X2 (or what @theMightyME said, a modified chip) is capable of doing. I think a fan on a system like this would kill battery life pretty quickly and its odd to see that sort of thing in a dev kit on a gpu not originally made for fans.

I had mentioned a couple months ago modular design for the NX regarding the screen popping out and this leak is aligning with my thoughts on the system. I could very easily see this slotting into a headset ala Samsung VR and then using the breakaway controllers for control. Nintendo is making a very smart move with the breakaway controller style. I would also think they could make better handles to snap on for comfort. The mention of magnets is a smart one but I feel like they would probably have some sort of stronger connection for stability purposes and to allow charging of the controller units from the main unit itself.

This is an exciting leak from the perspective of a gadget nerd like me. I am still hoping that they have a handheld that is X1 and scaled down with a home unit running an X2 that will pump better graphics out. That would be the ideal situation for me. Sell the portable for $250 and then also sell the home station with just the dock for $200 (usable with a controller sans screen) or the whole thing for $400 (portable + dock).
I liked that VR idea... until I thought about screen resolution... VR with a 1080p screen is SHIT..... with a 720p screen it would be virtually unusable... even google's new VR spec for phones calls for 4k displays to be compliant... going to a 4k display would be very pricey and have a huge effect on battery life.... I envision nintendo going 720p (or lower) for the actual screen and that would NOT work for a slot in VR

I almost feel like it would be smarter if nintendo released a cardboard-esque multi phone compatable headset and then let you use your phone as your display... you will update your phone every 2 years anyways (if not more often) so it would be like your NX experience improves without the need for more NX hardware...

in fact, I think it would be smart if the NX could pair with a phone in general... act as a bluetooth device.... that way it could leach mobile data while on the go without incurring carrier wifi hotspot fees... it could also conserve power by turning off more processes while letting your phone do things like streetpass for it

Goodtwin

It's true that the hardware is custom, but it's always proven and tested architecture. Same with the manufacturing process. Nintendo rarely manufactured on the smallest node available.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
Nintendo has never used an off the shelf processor, so all of their hardware has been untested.... the X1's successor will be a continuation of the X1's architecture anyways, which itself is a successor the k1 architecture

I liked that VR idea... until I thought about screen resolution... VR with a 1080p screen is SHIT..... with a 720p screen it would be virtually unusable... even google's new VR spec for phones calls for 4k displays to be compliant... going to a 4k display would be very pricey and have a huge effect on battery life.... I envision nintendo going 720p (or lower) for the actual screen and that would NOT work for a slot in VR

I almost feel like it would be smarter if nintendo released a cardboard-esque multi phone compatable headset and then let you use your phone as your display... you will update your phone every 2 years anyways (if not more often) so it would be like your NX experience improves without the need for more NX hardware...

in fact, I think it would be smart if the NX could pair with a phone in general... act as a bluetooth device.... that way it could leach mobile data while on the go without incurring carrier wifi hotspot fees... it could also conserve power by turning off more processes while letting your phone do things like streetpass for it
I agree with you. Resolution would be atrocious on this thing, but it's doable. Honestly using my Galaxy Note 5 I still hate the resolution on VR with that even if the screen is pretty decent. I just feel like I'm slamming my face up to an old CRT tv since I can see all the blockiness.

Shoulder

I think with regards to the dev kit rumor that it has an active cooling fan for a processor that normally doesn't really need it, I would wager that the processor itself has been overclocked, possibly to X2-levels as a placeholder for the Tegra X2, which if I recall is supposed to more a bit more powerful, but more importantly, use less power, which also means less heat. This would be ideal for Nintendo, given their philosophy on efficient hardware. SO yes, I agree with you there.

What I don't agree with is the idea of selling the portable and home docking station as separate, especially for that price. I suppose for those who only wish to do portable gaming, then buying them separately would be ideal, but I think as a general rule, bundle them together as one SKU.

SkywardCrowbar

Twintelle's loyal Husbando
Hi all. Been a minute!

So, this rumor does seem legit... Too detailed and big name sites are running with it.

I'm going to say I'm cautiously optimistic, but also terrified. I was all on board the hybrid idea, so I'm pumped for that, but I'm also extremely disappointed in the power unless it's Tegra X2 AND we will have the option of getting one of those external computing devices to boost performance on the TV.

I am nervous about it only being Tegra X1, being less powerful than XBox One, and not being very modular. We shall see though. I doubt every piece of this info will be accurate.

Koenig

The Architect
What if NX was still not as powerful as the Xbox one?

Even so, think about it: A handheld that can run 1080p and 60fps with the power almost of that with an Xbox one. How cool does that sound? That might attract several gamers to buy it.
The Vita comes to mind from a few years back; granted Nintendo's handhelds have always done well and they have the games to support them. I just hope this all works out, because as is I don't have much confidence.

sjmartin79

Here's a question for you:
(First, let's assume the rumors are true)

Would the NX be able to work with any NX docking station? Let's say you download a game on your NX. Your friend doesn't have that game, but he does have an NX and docking station. Would you be able to take your NX to his house, dock it with his station, and then both of you play said game on his TV (assuming you can use extra controllers like the Pro Controller)?

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
What if NX was still not as powerful as the Xbox one?
Even if there were no mobile component, I'm fine with that. There is no point in an arm's race with Sony or Microsoft. The PS4 and XBone have been out a few years and their manufacturing costs are streamlined, so Nintendo wouldn't be able to really undercut their prices. And they sure as hell wouldn't succeed in trying to do a Nintendo version of a PS4k or Scorpio.

The Wii U was honestly plenty of power for Nintendo's teams to make their style of games. Now they're getting even more (plus, with an architecture already supported for scaled versions of modern middleware).

sjmartin79

Would the NX be able to work with any NX docking station? Let's say you download a game on your NX. Your friend doesn't have that game, but he does have an NX and docking station. Would you be able to take your NX to his house, dock it with his station, and then both of you play said game on his TV (assuming you can use extra controllers like the Pro Controller)?
And something to go with this:
With NX using cartridges for console games, and possibly being able to save your unlocked content (like tracks on Mario Kart) on the cartridge, this opens up a really fun nostalgic thing of being able to take your game over to your friend's house who also has the console, but not the game. Makes me think of growing up and everyone having an NES or SNES and just taking your games to their house because they already had the console to play it on. Compared to now, where everything is disk-based and you can't write onto the disk.

It may not work that way, but was something I was thinking about that made me smile. (And yes, since NX is "most likely" portable, you can take the whole system with you.)

Odo

If the system is more in line with 3DS I could see myself enjoying it, but I want a console, not a gamepad... I am very ambivalent about this news...
The only thing that can make me happy about it is seeing it as a 3DS successor that will run Pokemon on it. As an ARM home console (if this is all true and it's cheap like a cheap tablet), I only can see this as a Nintendo Apple TV of sorts for family/children (and it has to be very cheap for families/children to pick it up).

Shoulder

If it's a docking station, I doubt it's assigned to a specific NX system. I would imagine part of the draw would be to take the system to a friend's house, and place it on the dock, and you can then play games that way. It might even be possible to wirelessly connect multiple systems if they are in close proximity in order to provide split screen gaming ala Wii U w/ TV + Gamepad co-op.

With NX using cartridges for console games, and possibly being able to save your unlocked content (like tracks on Mario Kart) on the cartridge, this opens up a really fun nostalgic thing of being able to take your game over to your friend's house who also has the console, but not the game. Makes me think of growing up and everyone having an NES or SNES and just taking your games to their house because they already had the console to play it on. Compared to now, where everything is disk-based and you can't write onto the disk.

It may not work that way, but was something I was thinking about that made me smile. (And yes, since NX is "most likely" portable, you can take the whole system with you.)
With carts, you'll likely have a small amount of memory in the cart for the purposes of save data, but I doubt they'll have some empty space just for DLC. That's where the micro SD cards would come in. You could easily swap out sd cards like people did with Xbox 360 and their HDDs, and all your data, profile, and other gizmos are right there. You wouldnt't have to bring your system with you, but at the same token, it would be just as easy to bring the system itself with the game loaded in. Like the 3DS, Nintendo would want to encourage gamers to connect systems with each other, and there could be perks to go along with that as well.

Again though, this is assuming Eurogamer's sources are correct.

Shoulder

Cartridges make sense in this case, this saves up more battery life for the portable NX on the go
It's more than simply that though. The use of cartridges/flashdrives/solid state media has risen considerably over the last decade, which drops the cost of manufacturing. Disc-based media also will unlikely ever reach the writable speeds that solid state media can. Video games process information too fast for disc-based media, hence why most current-gen games need to be installed onto the HDD of the system. It becomes a case of, "Why are we still buying physical if I have to use the HDD anyway?"

Now, some folks out there will say how discs will still be cheaper to manufacture compared to cartridges, and this still holds true. But here's something to ponder about. Imagine you have a palate of video games, in disc form, ready to ship. Let's say you can hold 1000 copies of the game per palate. That palate then needs to be transported from the manufacturing center, to the shipping container, which then gets unloaded after shipment, and sent to the distributors for sale at a retail store. I'm grossly over simplifying things, but you get the basic idea. All that costs money to put it simply.

Now, with cartridges, you can now manufacture the carts themselves to be smaller than discs, and as such could also create smaller cases to hold the games. Now going back to the palate of video games, now, with this reduction in size of cases, you now hold, let's say 1500 copies of the same game instead of 1000. That's of course a 50% increase, per palate, and with dozens, perhaps hundreds of palates per shipment, that adds up very quickly. Weight is another factor to consider though, so maybe you can only hold 1300 in the same amount of weight you could with only 1000 disc cases. Still though, you will likely hold and ship a lot more per shipment.

What I'm getting at is simply this: You might spend a little extra to manufacture the carts, but you might make up the difference, perhaps even save you money due to shipping costs and transport. This is of course if you figure that publishers do not pay any extra fees, and Nintendo themselves eat up the rest.

Someone on GAF made a much more clear and concise case concerning shipping of video games, but I do not know where I can find that post. It's a seriously good read.

sjmartin79

Another question for discussion: Pricing of games.
If they are truly combining Handheld/Console gaming, will we see different prices for the games?
Like, will Pokemon games still stay around $40? Will things like Legend of Zelda: BotW still be $60?
Will things move to one consistent (higher or lower) price? Or will games be priced on what they are?

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Another question for discussion: Pricing of games.
If they are truly combining Handheld/Console gaming, will we see different prices for the games?
Like, will Pokemon games still stay around $40? Will things like Legend of Zelda: BotW still be $60?
Will things move to one consistent (higher or lower) price? Or will games be priced on what they are?
I think games will be priced differently according to what they offer. Nintendo already does this on the Wii U, there are games that sell for $40, like Captain Toad, instead of $60. So I think they'll continue that way.

Shoulder

I think games will be priced differently according to what they offer. Nintendo already does this on the Wii U, there are games that sell for $40, like Captain Toad, instead of $60. So I think they'll continue that way.
Yeah, and I'd say AAA 3rd party games will remain in that 60 dollar price point for parity sake. Then again, if all games were on average ten bucks cheaper compared to the other systems, it could be enticing for some folks.

Koenig

The Architect
Currently, the only way I can see this being portrayed as a hybrid and doing well is if it marketed primarily as a handheld system with high quality gaming abilities but can seamlessly stream to the TV at a moments notice; allowing for more traditional gameplay and even DS/3DS emulation by using both screens.

I am not sold on the idea of a docking station as would somewhat defeat the point of a hybrid when for on TV gameplay a console would suffice. Likewise, I can not see the detachable controllers being beneficial in any way.

Koenig

The Architect
With NX using cartridges for console games, and possibly being able to save your unlocked content (like tracks on Mario Kart) on the cartridge
Possibly...I am not an expert, but I get the feeling read only memory would be cheaper and more reliable for cartridges, in which case DLC and most save data would likely be saved to the system memory; either on an SD card or internal SSD (Albeit a very small one knowing Nintendo)

I remember watching some NX rumor's off small youtube channels that "claimed" to have insider info from developers either there friends or relative. Back then i disliked some of those videos because comeon how can you trust them right. but now that the euro Gamer article came out i recalled hear some of this before, I had to research through my youtube history but i found one of those videos. this guy got the same reveal date september and also got the fact that it wont be as powerful as the pd4 or xbox one. along with a few other things. note video was made on JUL 11th, coincidence or is this deeper info? I'll try and find other videos from other small youtuber.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I remember watching some NX rumor's off small youtube channels that "claimed" to have insider info from developers either there friends or relative. Back then i disliked some of those videos because comeon how can you trust them right. but now that the euro Gamer article came out i recalled hear some of this before, I had to research through my youtube history but i found one of those videos. this guy got the same reveal date september and also got the fact that it wont be as powerful as the pd4 or xbox one. along with a few other things. note video was made on JUL 11th, coincidence or is this deeper info? I'll try and find other videos from other small youtuber.

Good to see you around here again @SofaSpy!

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!

A blast from the past @SofaSpy :msrs:

Shoulder

Currently, the only way I can see this being portrayed as a hybrid and doing well is if it marketed primarily as a handheld system with high quality gaming abilities but can seamlessly stream to the TV at a moments notice; allowing for more traditional gameplay and even DS/3DS emulation by using both screens.

I am not sold on the idea of a docking station as would somewhat defeat the point of a hybrid when for on TV gameplay a console would suffice. Likewise, I can not see the detachable controllers being beneficial in any way.
Nintendo would likely market the NX-if the rumors are true, as a system you can use anywhere, whether at home, or on the go. It could be marketed as an All-in-one system, something we have yet to truly see on a mass produced scale.

I don't agree with a streaming option because you would still need a dock of some kind to transmit the data from the portable to the TV. It could only work if dual-screen gaming was coming back, but I wonder if it really is. I don't think DS gaming is here to stay quite frankly.

The whole point of a "hybrid" system is to do more than one thing, which by using the system as both a portable and a home console you connect to the TV. The detachable controller portion would have to do with maybe propping the screen onto a table, while the controller is on your lap, and of course if you connect the system to the TV. The detachable part is for convenience and to keep the form factor small. Now, you might ask why not just connect to the TV instead of detaching the controllers and propping up the system on a table? Well, not everyone can use the TV, and we all know people watch movies and surf the web on their smartphones and tablets all the time now. It's not a completely foreign concept.

Now, my concept for the NX wasn't this type of hybrid that Eurogamer has shown to us. Mine was more console-based with the handheld portion as the additive. My concept was that it was an evolution of the Wii U gamepad that was capable of remote play, like the PS4 can do. But unlike the PSVita which has hardware built-in, the NX Gamepad would've been designed for this purpose from the start, and without much hardware, form factor, cost, and weight could be kept low. It would be like playing an Online game, and the NX system was the server, so an internet connection was always required.

My concept and Eurogamer's rumors do the same exact thing, except one is more tailored for portable gaming, while the other focuses more on that home console experience. SO it really becomes a choice of, "Which do you prefer? Console, or handheld gaming?" In the end though, both concepts can do the same exact thing, but using different methods. One is directly connected, while the other uses internet.

Koenig

The Architect
I don't agree with a streaming option because you would still need a dock of some kind to transmit the data from the portable to the TV.
Not exactly. If the NX has the hardware to stream wirelessly, then all the TV would need would be an NX specific router for the HDMI or Display Port. If that was the case you would never have to bother with it again and could use the TV as a second screen for DS/3DS or specific games if necessary.

Shoulder

Not exactly. If the NX has the hardware to stream wirelessly, then all the TV would need would be an NX specific router for the HDMI or Display Port. If that was the case you would never have to bother with it again and could use the TV as a second screen for DS/3DS or specific games if necessary.
In other words, a dock. My point was you need something to transmit the data from the system to the TV, so there's already that extra peripheral needed. It would be just as easy to make it into a dock as would to stream it. But that also means if it's a dock, dual-screen gaming is not going to be an option this time around. That could only apply if it were wireless. But I also stand by what I said in saying that dual-screen gaming, while useful, is not going to stay.

I honestly do believe that another reason why the Wii U failed was because the Gamepad made developers feel forced into using the features rather than doing a simple and straight port. Yes, I get the idea of adding specific features that take advantage of the system's capabilities, and can entice gamers, but in the end, is it honestly and truly worth it? If you ask me, it's not. Same goes with 3D. It's nice, sure, but it doesn't make or break the game. VR? To be fair, it's only just beginning, so it remains to be seen what'll happen, but I think VR won't last either.

I was against the hybrid idea from the beginning, but the more I'm hearing about these recent developments, and pondering what the future could be, this whole concept with the NX would be truly unique in its own right, and that is without any 3D, dual-screen, or motion controls (the last of which could still happen in some form).

EvilTw1n

No it wouldn't. The idea is one device you can either take with you on-the-go or use to play on a TV. If you have to sit it in a dock next to the TV instead of wireless streaming, it's still the same idea; a dock is supposed to be something you easily put something into and out of, so it's not like there would be an arduous process to unhook the thing, and it would also charge it up for when you want to grab the thing and walk out.
I don't agree with a streaming option because you would still need a dock of some kind to transmit the data from the portable to the TV. It could only work if dual-screen gaming was coming back, but I wonder if it really is. I don't think DS gaming is here to stay quite frankly.
Nah, they could use a dongle you plug into the television that syncs with NX to stream it, like a reverse Wii U. But if a dock provides the easiest, cheapest way to hook it up to a TV, then that's what makes sense to use.
The only thing that can make me happy about it is seeing it as a 3DS successor that will run Pokemon on it. As an ARM home console (if this is all true and it's cheap like a cheap tablet), I only can see this as a Nintendo Apple TV of sorts for family/children (and it has to be very cheap for families/children to pick it up).
If these games look like Breath of the Wild to you, sure. But they don't. And if Eurogamer's source is right (which I would guess to be true, based on their level of certainty in reporting), then this thing will already be more powerful than Wii U, which is plenty for Nintendo's developers.

Koenig

The Architect
No it wouldn't. The idea is one device you can either take with you on-the-go or use to play on a TV. If you have to sit it in a dock next to the TV instead of wireless streaming, it's still the same idea; a dock is supposed to be something you easily put something into and out of, so it's not like there would be an arduous process to unhook the thing, and it would also charge it up for when you want to grab the thing and walk out.
I can not articulate how much I disagree. If it requires a dock, I would much rather just have it hooked up all the time and use a traditional controller.

I can not articulate how much I disagree. If it requires a dock, I would much rather just have it hooked up all the time and use a traditional controller.
Admittedly, I haven't really read the rest of the conversation, but

Putting it in and out of the dock (giggety) would surely be as simple as dropping the Wii U gamepad onto the charging stand and picking up a pro controller? What's not to like about that setup?

Koenig

The Architect
Admittedly, I haven't really read the rest of the conversation, but

Putting it in and out of the dock (giggety) would surely be as simple as dropping the Wii U gamepad onto the charging stand and picking up a pro controller? What's not to like about that setup?
Having to use second controller is in the simplest terms, messy and inelegant. I hate how the game-pad ultimately ended up as a glorified picture frame when I played games, wasting energy and just feeling like a waste of space (I much prefer playing with pro controller) It would be far more cost efficient and appealing to me just to have a dedicated console with a standard controller rather than try and cater half as a console and the other half as a handheld.

I am not saying it can't work, but I do not see the appeal. It really feels like the most obtuse solution Nintendo has come up with yet, and it is exactly what I did not want from any of these hybrid rumors.

Shoulder

Having to use second controller is in the simplest terms, messy and inelegant. I hate how the game-pad ultimately ended up as a glorified picture frame when I played games, wasting energy and just feeling like a waste of space (I much prefer playing with pro controller) It would be far more cost efficient and appealing to me just to have a dedicated console with a standard controller rather than try and cater half as a console and the other half as a handheld.

I am not saying it can't work, but I do not see the appeal. It really feels like the most obtuse solution Nintendo has come up with yet, and it is exactly what I did not want from any of these hybrid rumors.
Wait a second, who said anything about a second controller? Now I'm confused. :mconfuse:

Koenig

The Architect
Wait a second, who said anything about a second controller? Now I'm confused. :mconfuse:
If the NX has to be placed in a dock in order to play it on the TV, then you will need a second controller in order to play on it. This is why I thought a wireless streaming mechanic would make more sense in this case.

If the NX has to be placed in a dock in order to play it on the TV, then you will need a second controller in order to play on it. This is why I thought a wireless streaming mechanic would make more sense in this case.
in this scenario, the screen portion would be the only thing docked, you'd snap off the wiimote handle things and use those as the primary controllers.

Shoulder

As Fried said, this is why you have the detachable controllers. Not only would this allow you to dock the system itself to connect with the TV, but let's say you are still in an on-the-go setting, but don't want the screen right between your hands, you detach the system, and prop it up on a table. If I were in a Hotel, that's what I would likely do.

I understand you're not really feeling it with the detachable controllers, but to be fair, we know nothing about them or what they look like. The controller could even not have to attach to itself, and you have both parts separate like the wiimote + nunchuck, so you don't have to have your hands co close together. I could yawn and stretch while gaming with total freedom!

Perhaps, though I have already mentioned how I can not see snap on controllers being fun to use.
I'm merely inquiring here. Why do you think it won't be fun? Or are you suggesting it won't be comfortable?

Yeah, I love these full mobility controllers, they just are very comfy.
It will all depend on how they divy out the buttons but I'm optimistic.

Here's my thing with the dock: If it offers nothing more than a place to put the game on the screen and maybe some multiplayer options, its kind of useless.

Koenig

The Architect
I'm merely inquiring here. Why do you think it won't be fun? Or are you suggesting it won't be comfortable?
Both. I do not see how detachable controllers from a handheld device will be ergonomic in any way, and by extent playing with them for any periods of time to be enjoyable. I love the 3DS as a system, but I hate playing the thing in part because of how cramped and natural it feels for me to use.

I don't want to have the same issues with the NX.

EvilTw1n

I can not articulate how much I disagree. If it requires a dock, I would much rather just have it hooked up all the time and use a traditional controller. ...Having to use second controller is in the simplest terms, messy and inelegant.
...because there's elegance in running a surge protector from your TV area, plugging an NX charge adapter into it, and sitting back on your couch with that mess out in front of you so that NX can charge for home TV use while you play it? Nearly as elegant as me having to change seating positions mid-Splatoon battle because my GamePad is dying.

It's up to you to think of a design as elegant or not, but I see nothing elegant about the scenarios above. It's far less wire-centric to dock the thing and use a wireless controller (with dozens of hours of charge time). Then again, I'm not opposed to functionality over form. Whatever works best, and does it cheapest. I'm not looking to spend more than I have to.

Koenig

The Architect
...because there's elegance in running a surge protector from your TV area, plugging an NX charge adapter into it, and sitting back on your couch with that mess out in front of you so that NX can charge for home TV use while you play it? Nearly as elegant as me having to change seating positions mid-Splatoon battle because my GamePad is dying.

It's up to you to think of a design as elegant or not, but I see nothing elegant about the scenarios above. It's far less wire-centric to dock the thing and use a wireless controller (with dozens of hours of charge time). Then again, I'm not opposed to functionality over form. Whatever works best, and does it cheapest. I'm not looking to spend more than I have to.
There in lies my biggest concern with the hybrid rumors. Nothing about the NX sounds elegant to me when compared to just having separate dedicated consoles and handhelds. If Nintendo really is going the hybrid route, I hope they can pull it off; as is I simply do not an ideal solution.

DarkDepths

Your friendly neighbourhood robot overlord
There in lies my biggest concern with the hybrid rumors. Nothing about the NX sounds elegant to me when compared to just having separate dedicated consoles and handhelds. If Nintendo really is going the hybrid route, I hope they can pull it off; as is I simply do not an ideal solution.
I think the form factor is bound to be interesting, if all of this is true, and I too hope they find a way to make the control options comfortable.

However, I do see many benefits to this approach.

1. I'm not really interested in buying handheld any more. The the 3DS was probably the last one I would buy. As you say, they aren't very comfortable. But more importantly, I've very rarely taken it out of my house. And yet I still like playing games while lying in bed. So continuing this WiiU characteristic would be great for me. Being able to play anywhere in my house that I want, including on my big screen is a huge win.

2. Fewer droughts between game releases. This is a big one for me as well. If Nintendo can focus all of its attention on one platform, we won't have the scenario where people watch a direct and afterwards go "aww... all 3DS and nothing for WiiU." Every game will be relevant and that will be fantastic.

3. It could be engineered in a way that the dock could provide extra horsepower. Think of the Surface Book, for example. You plug the screen into the keyboard, and now you have a dedicated GPU. Nintendo could totally do the same thing. You plug the screen into the dock, and now you have maybe another processor, a bigger GPU, or even just more power going to the handheld portion to take it out of "low power" mode.

sjmartin79

When it comes to the 3DS, the regular-sized one was a problem for me for long periods because of it's size and the size of my hands. But the New 3DS XL is absolutely fine, for me, to use for long periods of gaming. I have none of the issues I had with the smaller 3DS. So if the NX is around the size of the 3DS XL, I'm good to go.

EvilTw1n

You're gonna need a new word, man. A portion of what elegant means is simplicity. Having two completely separate systems with two completely separate chipsets in order to make two completely different types of games is not simple. That is doubling your workload and complicating your design process (in addition to creating an environment that makes it hard to craft enough videogames to fill out a release schedule).

Similarly, there's nothing complicated about placing a device in a cradle that solves two problems - streaming to the TV and charging the device itself - with one simple action. That's what an elegant solution is. Especially if this cradle perhaps contains its own GPU, like @DarkDepths mentions, which kicks up the graphical fidelity for the bigger screen. You just don't like the idea of a hybrid, which is totally cool (it has definite risks), but the complaints you're using are running counter to the language you're choosing.
When it comes to the 3DS, the regular-sized one was a problem for me for long periods because of it's size and the size of my hands. But the New 3DS XL is absolutely fine, for me, to use for long periods of gaming. I have none of the issues I had with the smaller 3DS. So if the NX is around the size of the 3DS XL, I'm good to go.
I don't particularly like holding either of them, but I do really like my 2DS. It's the ugliest of the three, but I think it's the best for long-term gaming sessions.