NX Official Thread of Waiting - News, Rumors and Discussion

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
I tried playing Blast Ball for an extended period and got a cramp. Gonna need a more friendly form.
By the way, an aside, I'm kind of into that game now.
if the controller sides detatch then it should be possible to use different pieces... perhaps thicker ones that aren't meant for portability

Koenig

The Architect
You're gonna need a new word, man. A portion of what elegant means is simplicity. Having two completely separate systems with two completely separate chipsets in order to make two completely different types of games is not simple. That is doubling your workload and complicating your design process (in addition to creating an environment that makes it hard to craft enough videogames to fill out a release schedule).

Similarly, there's nothing complicated about placing a device in a cradle that solves two problems - streaming to the TV and charging the device itself - with one simple action. That's what an elegant solution is. Especially if this cradle perhaps contains its own GPU, like @DarkDepths mentions, which kicks up the graphical fidelity for the bigger screen. You just don't like the idea of a hybrid, which is totally cool (it has definite risks), but the complaints you're using are running counter to the language you're choosing.
I disagree, but I suppose it comes down to what we consider to be simple.

Odo

If these games look like Breath of the Wild to you, sure. But they don't. And if Eurogamer's source is right (which I would guess to be true, based on their level of certainty in reporting), then this thing will already be more powerful than Wii U, which is plenty for Nintendo's developers.
Although it's got BotW, it's still some sort of Nintendo mobile device that connects to the TV that will be aimed to family and casual audience like Nintendo has stated. NX is the confirmation that Nintendo is leaving the home console market for good.

From now on, any market analyst will not consider this device a console, but something to be compared to Apple TV and other mobile stuff like that. That's the way I see it too. Nintendo NX will have top-notch nintendo games like Zelda as Apple TV has top-notch utilities. They're both the same sort as PS4 and X1 themselves are gaming consoles. NX is a mobile TV box for Mario fans.

Odo

"NX is a mobile TV box for Mario fans."

Really Odo^:mplain:
Not really Odo, it's really how the market will see NX, that's my point.

It's like when you see the media covering console sales and ignoring that Wii U exists. That's because they already don't consider Wii U a current generation gaming console.

The NX presented as that rumour plus the fact that Nintendo has said that they're now into family business again, it's totally like Nintendo have moved on from home consoles and are now making some sort of mobile toy, a mobile toy for Mario fans.

It'll be like "you can give your kid this android tablet that runs lots of stuff or that fancy Nintendo tablet that has Mario". It's not the TNEF perspective of course, but it's gonna be the world perspective we like it or not.

Odo

I always post here as a business guy would see whatever Nintendo is doing. I'm no analyst but that's how I like to discuss Nintendo.

For me me personally, I'll end up buying NX as long as there's Pokemon on it and a few other games that I like. Simple as that. I see NX as some sort of 3DS successor that can stream games to my TV, but this NX doesn't look like a console. Consoles are big black boxes with big coolers and x86 CPUs that have cool complex controllers and plays games with top-notch graphics. That's how people see it. You guys can't deny that NX looks like Nintendo's Apple TV ARM cheap stuff. That's my point.

I dont think anyone was ever disputing the thought that it is not a home console nor the thought that it would not be compared to the PS4 ans XB1.

I mean, its a hybrid, sure, but it's definitely a handheld first, home device second.

You're bringing a lot of perspectives into this, you say you see it from a marketing standpoint then boil it down to a ridiculous Apple TV comparison (that no one acknowledges), then as a business guy but then take the viewpoint of your regular joe gamer.
There's a dismissive tone about here that I think is what woke Matt. '

Also gotta stop misquoting, Nintendo never said they're family business again, that's Ubisoft's take on the console. Will likely be the byline they take from the get go, but its not a definite.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I think most people just completely ignore Nintendo's portable audience when talking about the NX. Phrases like, "it's not going to be as powerful as the Scorpio," seem pretty inconsequential when you consider the 70+ million portable units Nintendo sold this past generation (3DS, N3DS, 2DS).

Just because the NX is not going to stay toe-to-toe with Sony's and Microsoft's systems doesn't mean that it's going to be only an Android gaming system. What it will resemble the most will be like a combination of a 3DS and a Wii U, with more power. And those are the kinds of games that it will have. Sure, it might not have enough power to run a game like Escape from Tarkov with its insane lighting system in 4K native resolution, but Nintendo doesn't have to shoot for that level of power to have a large audience.

Last edited:

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Although it's got BotW, it's still some sort of Nintendo mobile device that connects to the TV that will be aimed to family and casual audience like Nintendo has stated. NX is the confirmation that Nintendo is leaving the home console market for good.

From now on, any market analyst will not consider this device a console, but something to be compared to Apple TV and other mobile stuff like that. That's the way I see it too. Nintendo NX will have top-notch nintendo games like Zelda as Apple TV has top-notch utilities. They're both the same sort as PS4 and X1 themselves are gaming consoles. NX is a mobile TV box for Mario fans.
Yes, because market analysts like Pachter are who we should be listening to. :D

But I'm a bad person to talk status quo, since I'm not opposed to Nintendo leaving the home console market - or changing what exactly the home console market is to begin with. They have zero chance of out-Sonying Sony. But comparing it to Apple TV or something like Ouya? I dunno, man. If an analyst was making that comparison, I wouldn't really trust them.
I think most people just completely ignore Nintendo's portable audience when talking about the NX. Phrases like, "it's not going to be as powerful as the Scorpio," seem pretty inconsequential when you consider the 70+ million portable units Nintendo sold this past generation (3DS, N3DS, 2DS).

Just because the NX is not going to stay toe-to-toe with Sony's and Microsoft's systems doesn't mean that it's going to be only an Android gaming system. What it will resemble the most will be like a combination of a 3DS and a Wii U, with more power. And those are the kinds of games that it will have. Sure, it might not have enough power to run a game like Escape from Tarkov with its insane lighting system in 4K native resolution, but Nintendo doesn't have to shoot for that level of power to have a large audience.

Precisely.

I'd argue Nintendo's best game design of the past 5 years or so has been A Link Between Worlds. Which does not in any way need a metric f-ton of power.

Last edited:

Odo

I dont think anyone was ever disputing the thought that it is not a home console nor the thought that it would not be compared to the PS4 ans XB1.

I mean, its a hybrid, sure, but it's definitely a handheld first, home device second.

You're bringing a lot of perspectives into this, you say you see it from a marketing standpoint then boil it down to a ridiculous Apple TV comparison (that no one acknowledges), then as a business guy but then take the viewpoint of your regular joe gamer.
There's a dismissive tone about here that I think is what woke Matt. '

Also gotta stop misquoting, Nintendo never said they're family business again, that's Ubisoft's take on the console. Will likely be the byline they take from the get go, but its not a definite.
I don't even need to quote, it's obvious. NX is casual. Ubisoft said that and NX is no PS4. Can't u see?

And I'm not bringing many perspectives and I'm not disputing anything. I'm posting my own opinion. The only perspective I'm bringing is that this shit looks like mobile cheap shit. Don't you agree? That's Your business. But I'm not writing shit. Lots of people for example said that the public would not get what wii u was supposed to be and that happened. Wii u was a true home console that looked like an accessory.

I say, NX looks like mobile shit. It does. You like it or not.

Koenig

The Architect
I don't even need to quote, it's obvious. NX is casual. Ubisoft said that and NX is no PS4. Can't u see?

And I'm not bringing many perspectives and I'm not disputing anything. I'm posting my own opinion. The only perspective I'm bringing is that this shit looks like mobile cheap shit. Don't you agree? That's Your business. But I'm not writing shit. Lots of people for example said that the public would not get what wii u was supposed to be and that happened. Wii u was a true home console that looked like an accessory.

On this I actually disagree, at least as long as I consider the NX a handheld. I would not expect any portable game system match it's generations console equivalent.

My mistake on the perspectives take.
I disagree strongly with your opinion on this then.
I dont understand what lots of people saying the public wouldn't get what the Wii U was supposed to be has to do with this discussion. If you are implying that lots of people are saying this looks like mobile shit, I am not seeing that anywhere. A lot of people sound impressed with the tech going into this, far beyond typical mobile. No one even knows what it looks like either, just a vague idea of the concept and one mock-up. On a pure game level, nothing on Apple TV touches BOTW.

The one point I can agree with you on is the marketing. The justification in marketing against tablets is a hurdle for Nintendo and on that I'm not 100% confident they can succeed, I'll have to do some digging into the tablet market to see how they'd fare, I think they can sidestep but its a fine line.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I just don't see how the audience, analysts or otherwise, are going to say that a portable system that can run this-

-is some casual shit system. The system will be self-evidently hardcore-as-balls if more games like that are in its library.

Odo

I just don't see how the audience, analysts or otherwise, are going to say that a portable system that can run this-

-is some casual shit system. The system will be self-evidently hardcore-as-balls if more games like that are in its library.
Hardcore is Microsoft Scorpio. After Scorpio, Zelda will look like a game from two generations before.

Last edited:

Odo

On this I actually disagree, at least as long as I consider the NX a handheld. I would not expect any portable game system match it's generations console equivalent.
As a Nintendo consumer myself, I quite agree with you. I can see Nintendo NX as my next Pokemon handheld.

Odo

I dont understand what lots of people saying the public wouldn't get what the Wii U was supposed to be has to do with this discussion. If you are implying that lots of people are saying this looks like mobile shit, I am not seeing that anywhere.
My point is. It had been said that Wii U looked like an Wii accessory, but many Nintendo fans said that "it's a ridiculous comparison, Wii U is clearly a next generation console".

Now I say that the NX as has been presented by the recent rumours looks like an Apple TV of sorts, Nintendo fans says to me that "it's a ridiculous comparison".

A lot of people sound impressed with the tech going into this, far beyond typical mobile. No one even knows what it looks like either, just a vague idea of the concept and one mock-up.

You know that I'm discussing this considering the possibility that it could be like Eurogamer has posted. If nobody has any clue about NX, why do we have this thread in the first place? Mods, please, delete this thread, let's reopen it after NX release.

On a pure game level, nothing on Apple TV touches BOTW.
I've already replied to this question before. My reply:

Odo

When I say that NX looks like Apple TV, i'm not comparing NX to rubbish.

You guys know that parents are not buying consoles for their children any more, right? A friend of mine bought two Apple TVs for his children rooms. He said it's the best toy he's ever bought. Children watch Netflix Kids, Youtube, Listen to music they have on iTunes and Apple Music, and play lots of nice games. The entire family also watches films and sports and play games with them.

Apple TV is an extraordinary device. It doesn't have console games like Zelda, but it's got lots of utilities for the entire family. It's a mass audience product. When I say that NX could be like Apple TV, a cheap ARM stuff that is not a high-end console, it means that NX could be the first Nintendo device that I can tell my friend to buy for their children.

Read this market researcher bellow, for example. They talk about Apple devices and they bet that NX is a family-friendly device.

Research firm DFC Intelligence believes that Nintendo will be aiming to appeal to the younger market

https://mynintendonews.com/2016/06/30/dfc-nintendo-nx-may-capitalise-on-largely-ignored-kids-market/

“One of the ironies of the latest generation of console systems is how children under the age of 12 have been largely ignored. The Nintendo Wii U is the only dedicated system remotely targeted at kids and it has been a failure.

Nintendo is currently in a holding status until they can launch a new console system but the company has a real opportunity to reinvent the groundwork in the game space by introducing an easy to use system that targets the entire family.”

“The original beauty of the console business was a kid could push a button and in seconds be playing games. In the current generation, that appeal has been lost and the immediacy of being able to play games is now found on Apple devices, the Nintendo DS and even PC games.

“The current hole in the market for accessible high-end games that are NOT on Apple devices could be a real opportunity for Nintendo. Nintendo really helped pioneer the easy in and out accessibility that is a major appeal of Apple devices.

How can I compare NX with consoles?

Consoles from 2017 on will be PS4 Neo, Xbox One S and Microsoft Scorpio. I refuse to compare NX (as presented on that Eurogamer post) to those true gaming consoles.

A 2017 console is:
- A big black box close to your TV
- They have VR
- They will make 4K games possible
- They need a lot of energy to run
- They have x86, PC-like CPUs
- They play huge games with extraordinary graphics
- They don't care about children

Does NX look like this?

NX seems to be like:
- An ARM device
- Cheaper
- No VR, no 4K
- Low energy, like any mobile device or Apple TV
- Graphics are as good as an old PS3
- Nintendo still cares about children and family.

Apple TV works with iPad/iPhones, it's a mobile thing, cheaper, with ARM technology that plays killer apps for the entire family. NX may be a mobile thing, cheaper, with ARM technology that will play killer games (like BotW) and apps (it might run Netflix, music, etc) that will finally have a sweet price to make a 2017 parent to give this toy (I'm not bashing it) to their children. This could be good.

In the future, the best marketing for Nintendo is the media comparing NX to Apple TV, making a chart with both, and not with PS4, PS5, X1. Gamers will not give a damm for NX as is.

So, summing it up, I say that in the market perspective NX looks like a sort of Apple TV toy for Mario fans, as I said before. It clearly doesn't look like a console. Playing the next Zelda doesn't make it a console (it could make it a 2007 console). Console-like games don't run on iPad Air 2 or iPad Pro, because console game developers couldn't figure out how they can sell them there, the market for games on mobile devices became something else, a cheaper marketplace. Nintendo NX might be the first Apple-like device that will run big-budget games like Zelda that people will be willing to buy.

Goodtwin

NX is a portable primarily, but with the added benefit of being able to stream to the tv for the console like experience. Think of little Jimmys parents. He wants a console but also something to take with him on the go. Not to mention a single unit can likely be played by two users at once thanks to the detachable controls. That's very attractive to mom and dad, tons of value there.

Is NX going to be a suitable substitute for someone really interested in a PS4? Probably not, they will be very different animals. Most consumers that have an Xbox or PlayStation typically do not purchase the competing console, but may be interested in a 3DS because what it offers is significantly different. Even if your ultimately not thrilled with this hybrid setup, I think the steady flow of first party exclusives will catch your attention pretty quick. When month after month a new Mario, a new Pikmin, a new Pokemon, a new Zelda and so on and so on, it's going to be hard to resist all that Nintendo goodness. Unless it course your not a fan of Nintendo software, but then why are you here? If you want a PlayStation 4, go but one, you can have that now. Some people need to get over this pipe dream of theirs that Nintendo will one day morph into a Sony clone. There are plenty of developers making Mature rated games, that will never be Nintendo.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Koenig

The Architect
Hardcore is Microsoft Scorpio. After Scorpio, Zelda will look like a game from two generations before.
I also have my doubts that, for multiple reasons:

1.I suspect that Scorpio will be used almost exclusively as a booster system to bump up the resolution and framerate of Xone games with the rare exception now and then.

2.Zelda art style will age far better than most X1/Scorpio titles, it will be hard to date regardless. (Although other Wii U and NX games will likely be easy to date)

3. Once again it depends on how the NX is marketed, if it is shown off as a handheld I could see the comparisons being mute. As a console though, I would agree.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
On a more positive note, here is some speculation I found to be very promising.

And with the more recent rumor of the Tegra X2 instead of the X1, it would be easier to get it to work more flawlessly.

That being said, it's impressive what the X1 can do on Dolphin, but using the X2 would be a nice way to future proof it.

Goodtwin

A 6TFLOP GPU will be put to use for slightly better effects, textures, shadows, 60fps frame rate, and 1080p and above resolutions. It's not going to be the difference between PS1 and PS2. Those days are long gone.
Yep, it takes a significant increase in processing power to make big leaps, and often times the increase in resolution and frame rate eat up those extra resources with little more to show for it. If the X1 was able to run a given game at 900p 30fps, then the Scorpio "might" be able to run that same game at 1080p 60fps. No other improvements. Resolution and framerate are very resource hungry.

Odo

I also have my doubts that, for multiple reasons:

1.I suspect that Scorpio will be used almost exclusively as a booster system to bump up the resolution and framerate of Xone games with the rare exception now and then.

2.Zelda art style will age far better than most X1/Scorpio titles, it will be hard to date regardless. (Although other Wii U and NX games will likely be easy to date)

3. Once again it depends on how the NX is marketed, if it is shown off as a handheld I could see the comparisons being mute. As a console though, I would agree.
Although Zelda and Xenoblade CX (another example of top-notch Wii U game) have beautiful graphics, they're not PS4/X1/PC material. It's not only the graphics, but multiplayer, internet, chat, AI, immersion and other things that Nintendo still can't deliver and I'm sure NX won't. I know that internet, multiplayer and chat are not present on Zelda because it's a single player game, but still I can find more modern big RPGs on PS3 than those two.

Zelda is beautiful, but for me it's still an action adventure game from the PS3 generation. The same for Xenoblade, even though it's got brilliant stuff like no loading screens.

Besides, NX games will be even older as soon as things like cloud processing and streaming become usual on consoles. Those things will not take too long since there are already cloud processing engines working out there.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Man, I wish that after five and a half years of following AAA games on my PC I could still think that way. Scorpio games are going to look like PC games look today, which is to say that they'll actually run at a native 1080p 60fps with 4x MSAA and have the good kind of ambient occlusion, but they'll still play like Gears of War, Call of Duty, or Mass Effect. And Fallout 5 will still be so poorly coded that it'll barely run a steady 30fps on it.

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
I'm personally still holding out hope that Nintendo also has a console in store for 2017. The rumored NX simply won't be a good console in this day and age, the unavoidable limitations a mobile device has guarantee this.

Thinking of it purely as a handheld I can be pretty excited. I do have worries (battery life, size, heat, storage, controls, price, and so on), but until we actually see the reveal of this those are simply uncertainties.

Goodtwin

What he says is pretty factual. GTA5 is probably more technically impressive than BOTW, but the art direct in BOTW will most likely be timeless, similar to Wind Waker. Keep in mind Wii U had twice the memory of the 360/ps3, and a more modern GPU. It should have a bit more overhead to work with. Nintendo is excellent at managing resources and coming up with clever tricks to pull off effects, but when breaking them down to a technical level, they are rarely trying to compete with Crytech or Rockstar. They decide on an art direction, and then explore the most efficient way possible to get the presentation they are looking for. Ever since Wind Waker Nintendo has used cel shaded effects in lots of their games, even though those games weren't cel shaded. They know how to make good looking games, and that often times means leaving out the latest and greatest lighting, shadow, and shaders. Heck, Digital Foundry was having trouble identifying much of the rendering tech in BOTW, it's not off the shelf middleware.

Koenig

The Architect
And with the more recent rumor of the Tegra X2 instead of the X1, it would be easier to get it to work more flawlessly.

That being said, it's impressive what the X1 can do on Dolphin, but using the X2 would be a nice way to future proof it.
But can it run Rougue Squadron II? ;)

In all seriousness though, I get the feeling that game will essentially be the emulation benchmark when it comes to GameCube games the same way Crysis was to PC's at one point. If a system can emulate it, i'd bet it could handle any GC game.

Koenig

The Architect
One concern I have about the NX, assuming it is a handheld, is the screen resolution. Nintendo tends to skimp on the pixel count, and I hope the NX does not suffer from having a blocky resolution. I used to not care when playing on the 3DS but damn has it become painful to use at times. Granted a lower resolution will also mean much better performance generally.

On the other hand the gamepad has a respectable resolution (although it could be better) so...fingers crossed they find the right balance.

Odo

Man, I wish that after five and a half years of following AAA games on my PC I could still think that way. Scorpio games are going to look like PC games look today, which is to say that they'll actually run at a native 1080p 60fps with 4x MSAA and have the good kind of ambient occlusion, but they'll still play like Gears of War, Call of Duty, or Mass Effect. And Fallout 5 will still be so poorly coded that it'll barely run a steady 30fps on it.
I agree with you in the sense that DKC is more hardcore than COD. But I was talking in the broad market sense of entertainment devices. When you have tablets, smartphones, TV boxes, and gaming consoles, a gaming console is the hardcore device of the list.

Goodtwin

I agree with you in the sense that DKC is more hardcore than COD. But I was talking in the broad market sense of entertainment devices. When you have tablets, smartphones, TV boxes, and gaming consoles, a gaming console is the hardcore device of the list.
True, but isn't that painting a false picture? It seems a bit convenient to simply leave out PC gaming, when we all know that is the only place you can play these games at their absolute best.

Koenig

The Architect
True, but isn't that painting a false picture? It seems a bit convenient to simply leave out PC gaming, when we all know that is the only place you can play these games at their absolute best.

Sent from my SM-G360V using genital warts
Perhaps, but not all PC's are gaming PC's. Typicall they are portrayed more as an all purpose device while customer built or gaming brands have the gaming market. They are essentially two different markets sharing the same system.

Odo

Sent from my SM-G360V using genital warts
Perhaps, but not all PC's are gaming PC's. Typicall they are portrayed more as an all purpose device while customer built or gaming brands have the gaming market. They are essentially two different markets sharing the same system.
That makes sense.

PC is much more than simple entertainment device like a simple TV box, but PCs usually only run simpler games. You usually need to turn your PC into a "hardcore" PC to play current generation console games.

Goodtwin

That makes sense.

PC is much more than simple entertainment device like a simple TV box, but PCs usually only run simpler games. You usually need to turn your PC into a "hardcore" PC to play current generation console games.
Not as true as it use to be. I bought a $400 PC that can compete with current gen consoles. It's when you want to completely max out games at high resolutions, that's when a $1000 or more PC comes into play.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
One concern I have about the NX, assuming it is a handheld, is the screen resolution. Nintendo tends to skimp on the pixel count, and I hope the NX does not suffer from having a blocky resolution. I used to not care when playing on the 3DS but damn has it become painful to use at times. Granted a lower resolution will also mean much better performance generally.

On the other hand the gamepad has a respectable resolution (although it could be better) so...fingers crossed they find the right balance.
If the handheld is as big of a beast as rumors say it is, than it could be a 720p screen. I mean, damn, this could just be the first time Nintendo's focused on power in 15 years

Although Zelda and Xenoblade CX (another example of top-notch Wii U game) have beautiful graphics, they're not PS4/X1/PC material. It's not only the graphics, but multiplayer, internet, chat, AI, immersion and other things that Nintendo still can't deliver and I'm sure NX won't. I know that internet, multiplayer and chat are not present on Zelda because it's a single player game, but still I can find more modern big RPGs on PS3 than those two.

Zelda is beautiful, but for me it's still an action adventure game from the PS3 generation. The same for Xenoblade, even though it's got brilliant stuff like no loading screens
PS4/XB1 material? lol what? Dude, come on. I've played games on the PS4 and, I'll just say this, I have yet to see anything that makes what I played on the PS3 or, more recently, the Wii-U feel dated or inferior. Thus far, it's mainly been bigger worlds, better performance and prettier games. Essentially last-gen 2.0. How do you even know it won't deliver on stuff like immersion and AI? Have you played it? And what do you mean by "more modern big RPGs"?

Hmm...that doesn't seem to be the impression most people had when playing it at E3. Just about everyone of those guys loved the game, even after having played "better" games on the PS4/XB1

Also, dude, quite a few ARM CPUs handily beat the weak ass CPUs inside the PS4/XB1. ARM is just an architecture, much like X86 is. No offense, but a lot of your points are kind of off, seeing as you think ARM CPU = Weak :/

Koenig

The Architect
On the topic of emulation; if I remember correctly were not the Gamcube & Wii more CPU intensive than GPU? If so, I suspect it is still very possible Nintendo could go with an AMD CPU with a higher clock-rate that is essentially the same as the the respective systems the NX is trying to emulate, and run at a slower (albeit higher capacity) clock-speed during regular game-play and operation akin to how the Wii U seems to run. To get to the point I am trying to make, it could paired with the Tegra X1 to allow for seamless emulation without having to focus on the Tegra chipset itself.

At least in theory, based on what little I understand about emulation. (Supposedly the main bottleneck for the GameCube and Wii Emulation is the higher clock-speed many games are tied to since newer CPU's tend to run at lower speeds with higher capacity)

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
*Fingers Crossed*

Considering the gamepad is (Supposedly) 854 x 480 resolution @ 158 ppi...
a 720P screen might even be overkill.
Had it just been a Wii U lite, I wouldn't even be considering 720p, more like 540p, but supposedly using a Tegra X1 chip has got me hopeful for 720p. They might as well, considering how much cheaper they've gotten

EvilTw1n

On the topic of emulation....
EDIT - Duplicate vid!
Also, dude, quite a few ARM CPUs handily beat the weak ass CPUs inside the PS4/XB1. ARM is just an architecture, much like X86 is. No offense, but a lot of your points are kind of off, seeing as you think ARM CPU = Weak :/
'Zactly. Kinda what I meant about thinking of NX only as a set-top box FireTV/AppleTV sort of box. An ARM-type CPU on the inside doesn't mean it's going to be like those devices, or should be put in the same context as those devices - no more than a PS4 should be thought of as a conventional desktop computer running PhotoShop because it has an X86 inside.

[But I concede I don't really care about what a console "should" be, anyways. A giant box with a wind turbine inside that promises VR and 4K resolution is very nearly quaint to me. "Graphics wars" are like Zero candy bars. I'm surprised they're still around.]

Last edited:

Koenig

The Architect
@EvilTw1n I shared that video yesterday, my post was a follow up to it. Rather than using the Tegra almost exclusively to benchmark the emulation, I was considering what a custom CPU (Which Nintendo tends to use) would do for such prospects.

EvilTw1n

@EvilTw1n I shared that video yesterday, my post was a follow up to it. Rather than using the Tegra almost exclusively to benchmark the emulation, I was considering what a custom CPU (Which Nintendo tends to use) would do for such prospects.
Sorry, my "most recent" button got past that post. My bad! :confused: