Official Anime/Manga Discussion Thread

Koenig

The Architect
My main complaint about Sidonia is probably the fact it is almost a harem. The number of female (& neuter?) characters vastly out numbers any of the male characters. That, and the random were-bear woman.

Animation wise, I quite enjoyed it; and I absolutely loved the setting.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
anybody been watching the current anime season?
so far, gunslinger stratos stands out the most.. but I have no f'n clue what is going on hahaha, Punchline and Rin-ne are pretty entertaining, Triage X is good, but the concept is too forced and hard to get past all the medical references, still a lot I haven't seen... I LOVE the manga for the heroic legend of arslan, so the anime is likely good, I just haven't watched it yet

repomech

resident remnant robot relic
anybody been watching the current anime season?
so far, gunslinger stratos stands out the most.. but I have no f'n clue what is going on hahaha, Punchline and Rin-ne are pretty entertaining, Triage X is good, but the concept is too forced and hard to get past all the medical references, still a lot I haven't seen... I LOVE the manga for the heroic legend of arslan, so the anime is likely good, I just haven't watched it yet
This season might be a pass for me. It's not about depth. I don't expect to like very many shows at this point in life and fandom - so for me a good season is about that "one" that does catch my attention being something great. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

So far the only shows on my radar at all are Plastic Memories (slow burn exploration of the human condition using robots as a vehicle to consider any of life/death/loss/abuse/disposability/alienation etc is a thing I dig apparently - my greatest hope for this season), My Love Story! (original odd-ball dark horse - I may hate it, we'll see), and with more than a little trepidation, The Heroic Legend of Arslan.

As a fan of the 90's OVA of Heroic Legend of Arslan (or at least the first part of it that I saw - I've heard it took a quality dive in later episodes), this one has an uphill battle for me - and leading with an inferior art style/character design is not helping it win any points. That said, I will check it out for an episode or two at some point and see.

It's the Blu-ray releases I'm looking forward to the most this season. The first Patlabor movie (I presume the second will be along shortly), and I know this gem is due out at some point this year:

We should also get Spirited Away on Blu-ray in 2015. As well as some limited theatrical screenings of When Marnie Was There this spring (formally Ghibli's last film - but it is by neither Takahata nor Miyazaki).

Last edited:

Ex-Actarus

It's worth the double dip for the incredibly-drawn visuals (and nipples, natch).

JP (pompadour man) isn't a complete stranger to the race events. He and Frisbee (the mechanic with only two arms) got in trouble with the mob (I forget if it was Frisbee getting in bed with organized crime to buy a motor originally, but I think that's it), and kinda/sorta (not totally clear if JP even knows) have been fixing races since to keep bail and keep the mob off their backs. Join big race, get the odds up for JP, then have him lose and pocket cash on the back end. JP falls for one of the other drivers (who he met briefly as a kid, and has probably loved the same girl all along). The races seem to attract the attention of warring factions (the cyborgs and the magic girls), probably because the races are lucrative/popular.

End plot. Because you want more of this.

JP, yes I remember now. Man his friend was such a weirdo. And If I remember well he took a serious beating because he was doing questionable stuff behind JP's back ( can't remember exactly what it was ) . Anyway, what I meant by stranger, is that he seemed more concerned by the the race itself than the factions battle. I always love the political backgrounds in Sci Fi movies ( as in Star Wars or Dune ). However here, it wasn't develop enough and JP didn't seem involved or concerned by any factions really. Man, I probably need to double dip in the end :)

But I agree, Visually the movie is absolutely sublime ! But again so Brutal at the same time ! Ninja Scroll people were involved in the movie, so I'm not surprised it looks soooo good. Maybe that would explain the incredible violence as well, because Ninja Scroll was STUNNING visually, but so GRAPHIC as well (
that demon drinking blood from the arm cut from a Ninja... urgh...
).

Odo

I just read @repomech talking about Patlabor and it made me so nostalgic now :(

I stopped catching up on animes a decade ago. That includes the mainstream ones. I used to be a Shonen Jump guy, you know? That kind of anime where the hero get strong enough to beat the boss and then there's a stronger boss after it. I like how simple and fun this kind of anime is.

I also used to watch the deeper ones too. I remember talking about Evangelion theories.

Then I just got fed up. From the 00's, J-pop changed a lot and so the anime soundtracks. Fanservice soared. CGI became ridiculously cheap. Naruto took over the world. Anime got more and more mainstream. Every anime season turned out to be more and more confusing for me. It's like it became like comics for me. Comics are so overwhelming. It gives me headaches. So many dimensions and different origin stories. It's like you need to be initiated into it.

I always take a look at this thread and gives me some good memories.

That's why I ended up watching only baseball and CSI. LOL

Now forget it and watch this epic opening:

Odo

One of the last animes I watched was one that I can't remember the name. You may know it.

It was an anime about a guy that travels around Japan countryside looking for cases about a strange life form that is invisible and only people like him could see. It's an invisible life form that is tiny and they have many races or types. Some of them are big while most of them are like bacteria or insects. The cause diseases, they kill people, make trouble, possess people and animals, live in the rivers, etc. There are many kinds of them. They're like ghosts and are like supernatural.

This anime was so weird but I couldn't help watching it because it was quite relaxing.

repomech

resident remnant robot relic
^
@Odo

Mushishi
is almost certainly the series you saw.

More on the concerns you raised later when I have time, but I wouldn't give up on all anime (or comics) based simply on the main commercial trends at the centre (for the same reason trends exemplified by EA are no reason to write-off all of gaming) - you need to look a little more deliberately for what will appeal to your tastes.

+1 for the Patlabor video. Here's an old trailer for the movie:

In recent weeks of cheap nostalgia baiting with things like the recent Star Wars trailer, Banjookalaylee, and Secret Wars, I decided to dip back into some nostalgia of my own that I really have no reverence for.
I was going to start watching some Dragon Ball Z, which I only remember watching in Spanish and probably only 3 episodes, the ones where Frieza gets his shit kicked in a couple dozen times and another with the wonderful Android 18.
Having never seen the original Dragon Ball however, I figured I could watch that as well. Completed that recently, pretty enjoyable stuff. Goku reminds me a lot of Shichika from Katanagatari, being somewhat afflicted by aspergers by being isolated from most of his life, resulting in them not being able to recognize the differences between sexes, find anything attractive, and disregard human life. Much more humorous and positive approach to development in DB, not surprisingly. I liked it a lot, its a bunch of simple, contained and effective arcs that branch into each other nicely with little to no asspulls. A common theme with this and what I've seen of DBZ (about halfway through that) thus far is how strict the continuity is for the most part. I'll be watching an episode and saying something like "that shouldnt work because so-and-so happened in this previous episode" or "why dont they just use blank?" only to find a few minutes later that they are smart enough to remember those points and act accordingly. Much more impressive when the events are years apart, although a bit unfortunate there because these flashback sequences, man, lol. Good show though, pretty cool stuff.
I'll touch on DBZ some other time, other than to say that Android 18 is as perfect as I remember her being a dozen or so years ago and the whole Trunks/Cell time travel story is one of the better, near-perfect time travel storylines I've encountered.

Ex-Actarus

@FriedShoes please don't even start with DBZ..

There is nothing like DBZ in the history of Manga or Comics. I've never seen something like this. To this day, DBZ is still as popular as it was back in the day ( just look at the success of DBZ Xenoverse ).

What sets Dragon Ball apart from ANY other series is the character progression of San Goku. You've alluded to that in your post. And that's so true ! I don't know how Toriyama pulled that of, but in Dragon Ball you see already the seeds on the future Super Saien warrior. I mean the dedication to training of San Goku at such a young age is incredible and unparalleled ! And that's how he managed to be better than anybody else. In Dragon ball, already very young he used to train far more than Krillin or Yamcha. No wonder Goku is so much more powerful than the other guys in DBZ. And he faced such adversity in Dragon Ball, that it prepared him for the multiple DBZ challenges.

By the way, your post could not have come at a better time, as the next Dragon ball series was just announced few days ago : Dragon Ball Super : http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/28/dragon-ball-super_n_7160356.html

I can't wait... :) ( I hope it will be better than GT... )

I actually liked GT, don't believe the internet's lies.
There is one, maybe two things I like about this non-canon fanfic.
The first is how it continues what was a subtle, possibly unintentional, possibly all in my head, thread in Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z; the overuse of Dragon Balls. Reminds me a bit of spiral power in Gurren Lagann (just going off what I know), where overuse of SP could destroy the universe. Each subsequent use of the balls creates less peace and more imbalance in the universe, ultimately giving rise to a monster that could end it. They bring it to meta-light during the final arc, with the Supreme Kai getting pissed that these objects even exist, and more annoyed and shocked that the universe can even function when the wishes are granted.
Its a plot point in GT, and I can appreciate that, but its taken to places I dont enjoy.
The maybe second is how it continues the series characterization of Goku being the worst husband, father, grandfather and eventually ancestor.

oh, I finished Dragon Ball Z. Its quite the show. I guess I could say "overwhelming", but just on it. Aside from a few filler episodes I enjoyed pretty much all of it. These multi-episode fights, man, just fantastic, dumb, stuff. The one against Freeza where the planet is blowing up and everyone keeps repeating "its going to explode in five minutes!" that lasts 2 or 3 more episodes makes laugh hard. Makes a bit more sense if you take into account that they are fighting in super-sonic speed, but maybe thats just me explaining it away.
Reading discussions on GT a lot of people mention the inconsistencies of Z, but watching the dub with japanese translated subtitles, there are none that I've noticed. Maybe they mean between the manga and the anime, but overall the series was very smart with consistency of plot points and characters. Ass-pully though. I'm forgiving of things like sudden romances and relationships.
Yeah, good stuff just way less comfy than the original. There are a lot of great things I want to mention but dont because I dont want to be writing long posts. Favorite things are still the time travel and Mr Satan arcs. Satan is some well-written progression right there. Caps off nicely if I ignore the GT prologue stuff.

Oh, I really dislike Goku's japanese voice. This is not based on nostalgia, as I've said I've seen maybe 3 or 4 episodes of this show before these past few weeks. Its just too high-pitched, I dont know if the idea is that they want to hammer in that Goku never really breaks immaturity that hard, but it doesnt work.

Hyped for Super.

Odo

You know that? They're going to release a new Dragon Ball anime series.

That's cool!

WHAT?

OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG! 100000 times OMG!

I Super Love DB franchise!

DB franchise is the best anime ever!!!! No I don't care there are other better animes. It's the best ever ever!

Ok, I'm all right now.

In recent weeks of cheap nostalgia baiting with things like the recent Star Wars trailer, Banjookalaylee, and Secret Wars, I decided to dip back into some nostalgia of my own that I really have no reverence for.
I was going to start watching some Dragon Ball Z, which I only remember watching in Spanish and probably only 3 episodes, the ones where Frieza gets his shit kicked in a couple dozen times and another with the wonderful Android 18.
Having never seen the original Dragon Ball however, I figured I could watch that as well. Completed that recently, pretty enjoyable stuff. Goku reminds me a lot of Shichika from Katanagatari, being somewhat afflicted by aspergers by being isolated from most of his life, resulting in them not being able to recognize the differences between sexes, find anything attractive, and disregard human life. Much more humorous and positive approach to development in DB, not surprisingly. I liked it a lot, its a bunch of simple, contained and effective arcs that branch into each other nicely with little to no asspulls. A common theme with this and what I've seen of DBZ (about halfway through that) thus far is how strict the continuity is for the most part. I'll be watching an episode and saying something like "that shouldnt work because so-and-so happened in this previous episode" or "why dont they just use blank?" only to find a few minutes later that they are smart enough to remember those points and act accordingly. Much more impressive when the events are years apart, although a bit unfortunate there because these flashback sequences, man, lol. Good show though, pretty cool stuff.
I'll touch on DBZ some other time, other than to say that Android 18 is as perfect as I remember her being a dozen or so years ago and the whole Trunks/Cell time travel story is one of the better, near-perfect time travel storylines I've encountered.

DB is amazing.

The Red Ribbon saga is the greatest. All the generals are superb!

The fight against Mercenary Tao is excellent.

Also Master Roshi is so strong. He was able to beat Goku! Master Roshi was the strongest man alive!!

@FriedShoes please don't even start with DBZ..

There is nothing like DBZ in the history of Manga or Comics. I've never seen something like this. To this day, DBZ is still as popular as it was back in the day ( just look at the success of DBZ Xenoverse ).

What sets Dragon Ball apart from ANY other series is the character progression of San Goku. You've alluded to that in your post. And that's so true ! I don't know how Toriyama pulled that of, but in Dragon Ball you see already the seeds on the future Super Saien warrior. I mean the dedication to training of San Goku at such a young age is incredible and unparalleled ! And that's how he managed to be better than anybody else. In Dragon ball, already very young he used to train far more than Krillin or Yamcha. No wonder Goku is so much more powerful than the other guys in DBZ. And he faced such adversity in Dragon Ball, that it prepared him for the multiple DBZ challenges.

By the way, your post could not have come at a better time, as the next Dragon ball series was just announced few days ago : Dragon Ball Super : http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/28/dragon-ball-super_n_7160356.html

I can't wait... :) ( I hope it will be better than GT... )

Yes. The trainning part with Master Roshi was great. I miss this part of DB story a lot.

There is one, maybe two things I like about this non-canon fanfic.
The first is how it continues what was a subtle, possibly unintentional, possibly all in my head, thread in Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z; the overuse of Dragon Balls. Reminds me a bit of spiral power in Gurren Lagann (just going off what I know), where overuse of SP could destroy the universe. Each subsequent use of the balls creates less peace and more imbalance in the universe, ultimately giving rise to a monster that could end it. They bring it to meta-light during the final arc, with the Supreme Kai getting pissed that these objects even exist, and more annoyed and shocked that the universe can even function when the wishes are granted.
Its a plot point in GT, and I can appreciate that, but its taken to places I dont enjoy.
The maybe second is how it continues the series characterization of Goku being the worst husband, father, grandfather and eventually ancestor.

oh, I finished Dragon Ball Z. Its quite the show. I guess I could say "overwhelming", but just on it. Aside from a few filler episodes I enjoyed pretty much all of it. These multi-episode fights, man, just fantastic, dumb, stuff. The one against Freeza where the planet is blowing up and everyone keeps repeating "its going to explode in five minutes!" that lasts 2 or 3 more episodes makes laugh hard. Makes a bit more sense if you take into account that they are fighting in super-sonic speed, but maybe thats just me explaining it away.
Reading discussions on GT a lot of people mention the inconsistencies of Z, but watching the dub with japanese translated subtitles, there are none that I've noticed. Maybe they mean between the manga and the anime, but overall the series was very smart with consistency of plot points and characters. Ass-pully though. I'm forgiving of things like sudden romances and relationships.
Yeah, good stuff just way less comfy than the original. There are a lot of great things I want to mention but dont because I dont want to be writing long posts. Favorite things are still the time travel and Mr Satan arcs. Satan is some well-written progression right there. Caps off nicely if I ignore the GT prologue stuff.

Oh, I really dislike Goku's japanese voice. This is not based on nostalgia, as I've said I've seen maybe 3 or 4 episodes of this show before these past few weeks. Its just too high-pitched, I dont know if the idea is that they want to hammer in that Goku never really breaks immaturity that hard, but it doesnt work.

Hyped for Super.
Because of that now I feel that I've got to watch all DB again.

I will!

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Mainlined the rest of Knights of Sidonia. Damn.

-I had only watched the first two episodes, and decided to shelve the rest for a rainy day. Since I've been sick all weekend, I cashed it in. Apparently I stopped watching right as the series was about to hit its stride. Episodes 3, 4, and 5 are damn good. Those three finally turn KoS into more than the sum of its influences (even if Apollo 13 becomes the primary influence for a few minutes), and set the whole thing on more solid ground.

-There's some lazy info dumping here and there, and some bad speed reading sections (episode 10 is probably the worst offender; I actually wished for a dub). But overall? The pacing is nearly perfect. There's no mushy middle like in Attack on Titan. The only episodes that really felt slow and useless were the first two...which I might change my mind on when I go back to re-watch.

-Speaking of slow and useless, can we just kill off Kunato already? I get it, he fulfills his trope as the mope, but geez. They don't even make him remotely sympathetic.

-The animation really picked up with episodes 3-5, too. They still cock around, every now and again, trying to ape more traditional animation, but the later episodes seem way more comfortable in being a fully-CG production. The show is better for it, and better overall when it proudly wears its own identity.

-Not sure if I'm a fan of how the "big reveal /twist" was handled. It was still slightly hands-off, in that no one yells at the screen "hey, you're a clone," but it was all a bit too labyrinthine for its own good...and yet it also managed to be left too open ended. How much do the students know about their own clone heritage? It's mentioned in passing about sped-up aging and education, but don't you think something so common would be something they'd mention to Nagate? Or that he'd find out in his own studies, which would make him question where he came from?

-For a few moments, the story really felt like it was trying to subvert the "heroic military" genre in lieu of a big government conspiracy, but it only pings the surface, and then backs off.

Pretty good, overall. And luckily, season two is about to hit.
http://kotaku.com/https-youtu-be-4rkrvrvn-5o-the-second-season-of-knigh-1709164573

All of that said, if you're burnt out on mechs and post-apocalyptic settings, this show ain't for you.
My main complaint about Sidonia is probably the fact it is almost a harem. The number of female (& neuter?) characters vastly out numbers any of the male characters.
The discrepancy in numbers doesn't bother me, but that all main females (and yes, I'm throwing Izana in there) have a thing for Nagate does.

Hoshijiro? OK, understandable.
Izana? OK, understandable.
Yuhata? Come on, now this is a little ridiculous.
Placenta girl? FFS.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I guess I never posted here about how I finished watching Legend of Galactic Heroes. It's amazing, everyone should watch it. Don't worry about the length, it's totally worth watching. Especially since by the second season the drip kicks in and you always want "just one episode more".

Something's majorly wrong with me because the pairing "placenta girl" shouldnt do anything to a normal person but it totally does to me.
My brother's trying to get me into Jojo, but I've been slowly making my way through John Cena's favorite japanimation show, Hokuto No Ken. Some funny really fricking dumb stuff. And cheap. Oh man, this show is a budget animation team's dream, all they really had to do was animate heads and bodies exploding and just reuse the same kicks, punches and jump animations. And really, that's what the people want. Can get pretty boring though, got past the first arc I guess pretty fast and things slowed down a lot shortly after once he hit the family stuff. Still, its charming. That soundtrack is pretty great too.

What I've seen of JoJo is really fun, looking forward to seeing more of that once I complete this. I think a new season is happening now, from what I can gather from my youtube feed and my brother's rants.

what?

typical 2ch bitching. Frame breakdown any fight scene in anime and it looks dumb as hell.
Could be better though, wonder if they'll touch it up on BD releases. Wont be watching the show until it gets dubbed anyway.

Finished G Reco recently. Sorry if this isn't super coherent.

I genuinely like this one, even though I'll admit it's flawed. And yeah, I know this means I'll get more crap than SEED fans, but I kind of don't care.

In the second half of the show, I began to feel lost and that the "tried to fit 50 episodes into a 25 episode series" set in. The finale was a big spit take moment where I didn't know what the fuck just happened. They really needed to stretch this out. And naturally, the translation is a train wreck, there were even misspellings and some fucked up grammar in the subs.

Its a shame, because there's so much in this that I love.

I like a lot of the characters here, even the ones that aren't really developed often have their own way to make them. There's just extra bit of personality and quirks in everybody I don't see in a lot of shows. In fact, Mask/Luin is favorite (second favorite if you accept Master Asia as a Char) Char Clone.

I like the message/theme against Japan's increasing militarization and attempt to abolish their peace constitution. It's much more relevant to me, say, WWII.

I liked the setting hat's built up here, even those weird details they never really explain like the body suits. It felt like this world, well, universe instead of just some isolated war between two countries. There's so much more they could have done with this world and that disappoints me.

The characters deigns/art style are my favorite in the franchise.

The mobile suit designs are amoung my favorites. I'll HAVE to get an HG G Lucifer at some point.

Same with the fights.

But yeah, to close I kind of hope there's some way they can give this story another shot. Maybe some compilation movies? Apparently, Sunrise considered this a success, so I think that might be in the cards.

theMightyME

so this season of anime has been killer for Gate and Ushio and toro... I was also somewhat enjoying a series called Charlotte.. but I fell a few episodes behind... just caught up... holy shit... I am wrecked

Koenig

The Architect

In other news, I watched Psycho Pass recently. I really liked the shows utopia/dystopia setting and all the gadgets and devices that came with, namely the syble system. I liked how characters wrestled with fighting for the public at large and struggling with the cost it takes. I liked the main character the most, though I also enjoyed a lot of the stock character's side stories.

However, I found most of the main villains to be extremely dull an uninteresting Reading poetry and quoting literature does not a good villain make, so stop, just stop and make room for more interesting characters.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
So an injury has put me on the shelf for this perfect fall day, but that means I got to mainline season two of Knights of Sidonia.

So I had watched the first two episodes a little while back, and ish was getting real. There was some invasion of the body snatchers stuff going on, there was a forbidden military project unveiled, and then Kobayashi initiated a coup and had the immortal council killed. I was thinking this was looking so good that I'd better set aside the rest of the series for a marathon.

So that's what I did today...and...yeah. What started off as a hard sci-fi / political thriller turned into a full-on harem. Not even a love triangle. Like a love hexagon. Maybe a love heptagon. You've got your main three (Nagate, Izana, Yuhata), plus the new hybrid-Tsumugi, Samari briefly decides she wants in on all this, one of the sisters seems to kinda dig Nagate, plus there's always placenta Hoshijiro because why not? I've probably forgotten one or two.

And that throws the pacing into a ditch, because the slice of life section takes up most of the middle of season two. And it's not even that it's bad. It was endearing to watch the mains shack up with each other in a nice house, the Izana choice/transformation* seemed to work plot-wise (although I freaking hate watching, because she's obviously going to be the unrequited-love character here), they smack you with some nice fan service, and there's real chemistry developed between Nagate, Izana, Yuhata, and Tsumugi. It provides a pretty good payoff when they're all put in danger (even though Yuhata is an odd fit; she's just tossed in...it works, though).

[*Her other physical transformation works really well, too. Quasi-cyborg looks good on her. I'm a fan of the Izana focus. But all of that focus just makes me think they're going to drop her from having a happy ending.]

But...y'know, they completely drop the coup. What, the shadow organization that was running Sidonia is murdered all at once, and...that's...it? Nothing? They've been slow burning the whole immortality angle, but it's summarily dropped after episode 2. The final 10 offer nothing there. The body snatcher angle - by, we presume, Ochiai - just sort of blends away and we get maybe like two glimpses of an evil plan in the final 10 episodes.

The hard sci-fi element goes bye-bye, too. Every battle was a struggle before with using the Kabizashi, but eff it, 'cause now we got these bazooka things. And eff all them physics (before moving the ship for an evasive maneuver was a fraught affair because of the effects of gravity inside, but now it's done for a sight gag).

There's some redeeming quality with the finale, because for all they set Nagate up to basically be a god-tier BAMF, he ends up needing to be saved. At the last moment, reality-tinged stuff like "I better have enough ammo" shows up. Being saved by the squad, plus Yuhata's smarts, was a really nice touch.

So...it was alright. Good, even. Especially if you're in the mood for a long middle section that balances character feels and that love hexagon while flashing fan service. But "good" is a bit of a letdown after the first season, and the first pair of episodes of season 2. Shit was gonna escalate...but then you get slice of life. And they set you up to really like four characters, all for the purpose of - I assume - screwing over two of them. Not looking forward to that.

Anyways. Not sorry I watched it. Invested enough to watch season 3 (if they make it). But they could've made like 3 seasons out of the content they used this season.

EDIT: Oh, almost forgot. Nice work, animation team. You managed to let one of your main characters communicate through a combination space dick/butthole/belly-button. And it got so routine that I didn't even think it was weird, by the end.

Last edited:

Odo

I was googling something the other day and I just came across this anime that I watched decades ago.

Guys, this is just amazing! I want to watch it again.

Tell me guys, do they still make animes like this today? How can I find a dark dragon fantasy anime nowadays?

The Record of Lodoss War

Koenig

The Architect
Ive been watching the dubbed version of Planetes recently. It is a very unique show and realistic in terms of its science and setting. I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys a realistic sci-fi story.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I binged on One Punch Man right now actually. I'm in the second to last episode. Honestly it's just alright. Fantastic animation, and sometimes monster designs, but nothing else. I'm sure I'd have enjoyed it more if I had been watching it once a week instead of binging on it, but maybe I would have just lost interest in it that way.

theMightyME

I binged on One Punch Man right now actually. I'm in the second to last episode. Honestly it's just alright. Fantastic animation, and sometimes monster designs, but nothing else. I'm sure I'd have enjoyed it more if I had been watching it once a week instead of binging on it, but maybe I would have just lost interest in it that way.
I just love how apathetic he is... to me, that is what makes it work... it also hints at something deeper, kind of like Manhattan in Watchmen. I loved it, easily the best anime of the fall season... best of the year, however, was Gate.

So you became saitama huh? Do you watch the post credits scene after each episode? I hope you did.

watch him fight boros. do it.

theMightyME

best anime of the season imo

Erased
best anime of the season... main character is an introverted somewhat gloomy guy aspiring to be a manga-ka (manga author). We find out he has a strange supernatural ability that forcibly rewinds time for him... it is usually only a few seconds, and he has to figure out what is going to happen that he has to solve in that time.. like notice a kid about to cross the street into traffic. He has saved some lives because of this... but one time when he notices something is wrong and time is going back his mom is with him, she is a reporter, and he asks her to look carefully for anything that is off... she ends up recognizing some guy (and he notices her and runs off).... one thing leads to another and time resets way back to when he was a child... we learn that as a kid 3 girls disappeared from his area and turned up dead, and an adult he befriended as a child ended up going to jail for it. The MC realizes that he cans top the murders of these girls and prevent his friend from being framed for the crime.... It is a really dark series that deals with child abuse and murder, but it is very very good, and the time travel element is exciting and interesting... a little 11/22/63 a little groundhogs day, and a little of it's own mojo... very cool

Gate Season 2
(clip is from season 1)
like the first season, Gate is really cool because it takes the typical fantasy tropes in anime and pits them ehad to ehad with the concepts of modern warfare, and modern technology. but it isn't just tanks versus dragons, and bullets versus magic... There is a lot of political intrigue and such that just makes it a fascinating watch

KONOSUBA -God's blessing on this wonderful world!
Another of my favorite genre, guy/girl transported/reincarnated to an rpg-esque fantasy world. But this one is just hilarious. MC can choose to take some legendary item with him to the other world, and he (as a form of revenge for harsh treatment) takes the Goddess who is sending him there... then he starts building out his party with her, a masochistic knight, and an explosion obsessed mage who can only do 1 insanely powerful spell, and then immediately collapses for the day.

Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash
yet another guy/girl transported/reincarnated to an rpg-esque fantasy world. This one is really dramatic though. a bunch of people wake up in a tower with amnesia.. they are in a fantasy world but have no memory of their old world besides soem ocasional slips of dialog that they don't even understand themselves (they might, for example make reference to a car, but then don't understand their own reference)... where as most of these transported to another world stories involve the MC beign way voerpowered.. this is the opposite, it makes surviving in a fantasy environment seem utterly brutal... from killign monsters that do not want to die and struggle tooth and nail to live (which is super brutal) to living in near poverty conditions... struggling to make enough to eat and keep shelter.

edit: a pretty good season actually... last season was pretty much just one punch man

Koenig

The Architect
Ive been re-watching Steins Gate with a friend. I had forgotten just how good the show got mid way through; at first it is just another show albeit one with a unique concept, but episode 16 turns everything on its head and makes every action taken to that point pay off.

For those of you have never seen the show, It is about a group of friends who create a time machine by mistake and proceed to do what you would expect, fuck up the timeline; the turning point comes when every action they have taken comes back to bite them in the ass. For those looking for an interesting story I highly recommend it.

(Note: Pay attention to any scenes that look like a season finale, as vital information to the story is stored after the credits)