Official Anime/Manga Discussion Thread

mantisLJD

The Human Metroid
I was googling something the other day and I just came across this anime that I watched decades ago.

Guys, this is just amazing! I want to watch it again.

Tell me guys, do they still make animes like this today? How can I find a dark dragon fantasy anime nowadays?

The Record of Lodoss War

Have you seen both the OVA and the TV Series?

Also, I just finished watching Hellsing; however, I still prefer Hellsing Ultimate probably because I saw it first. Next, I think I'll checkout Hellsing: The Dawn and then start reading the Hellsing manga.

Odo

Have you seen both the OVA and the TV Series?

Also, I just finished watching Hellsing; however, I still prefer Hellsing Ultimate probably because I saw it first. Next, I think I'll checkout Hellsing: The Dawn and then start reading the Hellsing manga.
only the OVA

AutisAwsome

AKA FloppyPony. I am on twitter and facebook to :3
I just started watching anime again starting with the recommended jojo diamond unbreakable and I am lovin it so far! :D I started watching the old series back with a friend coz I never watched jojo before and I am lovin that to. I am up to part 2 with second generation now. can't wait to see where it goes ;)

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Got bored last night, found a fan sub of Initial D on youtube for Fifth Stage (with requisite blurry quality, typos, engrish, "must pause to read all of that," etc.) and Final Stage.

Boy, did the anime peak early(*). Maybe even in the first season. Second Stage wasn't bad, and I'd argue for Third Stage being good as a standalone (probably the height of the series for me). Fourth Stage was...ok, but Takumi was long established as unbeatable in the 86, so it was kind of playing out the string. But they at least closed that stage well.

Takumi tying is as close as he came to losing since...umm...he was losing to Mako before she spun out, I guess. The (first) blown engine episode doesn't really count. So basically fighting to a draw with God Arm at least showed he was vulnerable. But all of Fifth Stage is pretty much going through the motions - there is no drama, because it's obvious he won't lose, and who gives a shit about his love life with a conveniently introduced golfer? Then they absolutely haphazardly tossed in the Shimigami storyline. I don't know the manga - I might try to track it down, but it looks like it's been out of print for awhile - so I'm assuming they planted that seed a bit earlier. But in an anime of like 85 episodes, they toss in the Deus Ex in episode, what, 80? I did enjoy seeing Ryosuke racing again, at least. Way overdue.

That said, even though it was late, it was a good idea for a twist. It sort of shifts the whole story to be as much about Ryosuke's dream as it is about Takumi's (and Keisuke's) abilities. Shame it wasn't revealed more elegantly.

The ending was great, at least. Alright, so we know Takumi isn't going to lose, so how does it end? With a death, of course. Not a person, but the real main character of the entire thing - the AE86. The car was as big a star as anyone. Blowing its engine as a sacrifice to win the last race was perfect.

The ending montage was...OK. Keisuke and Mako go pro. Ryosuke goes back to looking for talent (which I think is different from the manga). I suppose it was inevitable they'd leave Takumi up in the air, but c'mon, any closure would've been nice. We get nothing on him, personally or professionally. We also never got anything remotely good on Bunta, and where the shit was Mogi? Not even a cameo at the end?

Still, really glad I watched it (yes, even with the "this was written as a 12-year old guy's idea of what women are like" cringe-a-thons). It's the anime that got me back into anime. Which means that even though it won't ever be considered top tier of all anime, it'll always be my favorite one.

Still need to watch some of the interquel/sidestory stages. And hopefully the "Legends" trio of movies will eventually get on Netflix, excise the talky talk, and edit it down to more racing. Good time to "end" an anime when it still has more to give (including, apparently, a better dub to look forward to).

[*With the caveat being that, c'mon, this is a cheesetastic, mostly boring anime featuring too much talking amongst losers at a gas station.]

Last edited:

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
my current favorite is Re Zero
it combines 2 of my favorite things... stories in which the main character is transferred or reincarnated into another world (my current favorite anime/manga/light novel genre), and Groundhogs Day-esque time loops... it is also just done very very well

theMightyME

HIGHLY recommend Hunter X Hunter
One Piece is amazing, but the odd art style can put people off at first

those are the big shounen series I would recommend...

you might also consider My Hero Academia, but there arte only like 8 or so episodes out right now, new episodes come out on Sunday night/monday morning

getting away from shounen stuff

Erased was amazing last season, if you haven't seen attack on Titan, you should

Gate is really good

you might dig terraformars it is like starship troopers meets dbz, huge buff men fighting giant humanoid cockroaches on Mars.... and then mena re augmented with abilities from various animals and insects

have you watched any of the JoJo series?

there is just more than I can possibly name... every 3 months like 40 new shows come out, of those about 10-20 are good, and from there you need to hone in our specific interests

the ebst palce for anime btw is Crunchyroll... consider a trial membership (free), but even after that expires you can still watch stuff, just a week behind other users, with commercials, and in SD

if you get crunchyroll, or try the trial... my favorite current anime series is re zero, but you might also consider big order, twin star exorcists, bungo stray dogs, and cerberus

the thing with anime is that there is LOADS of it, and it covers basically every genre imaginable... murder mystery, highschool life, action, horror, science fiction, fantasy... and every combination there in.... so it is hard to simply say "watch this anime" it is easier to ask what kind of experience you want (not limited to anime)... like "I want epic fantasy".. or "I want something really sad"

On-topic, I tried watching One Punch Man but it immediately reminded me of my failure at finishing Fist of the North Star, which I have to amend asap.

theMightyME

anybody else watch the new Berserk anime?
@juegosmajicos

I can't remember how much was changed, but LOTS was.... not sure how I feel about it.. the cg anime thing also kind of weirds me out, but I love the sound direction with his sword, they really made it sound heavy ... music is also good, and they nailed Guts post golden age attitude

it is funny that there are a ton of hulking muscle bound anime back all of the sudden lol.. berserk, jojo, and terraformars... plus my hero academia just ended

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
anybody else watch the new Berserk anime?
@juegosmajicos

I can't remember how much was changed, but LOTS was.... not sure how I feel about it.. the cg anime thing also kind of weirds me out, but I love the sound direction with his sword, they really made it sound heavy ... music is also good, and they nailed Guts post golden age attitude

it is funny that there are a ton of hulking muscle bound anime back all of the sudden lol.. berserk, jojo, and terraformars... plus my hero academia just ended
Haven't seen the first episode yet, I'll have to check it out tomorrow.

theMightyME

I think it looks awful
the cg or the series in general? the cg was like 50/50 for me. at times it was beautiful, and it times it completely took me out of it... as for the series as a whole, I need to give it more time to judge, they seem to have made some significant changes

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
@theMightyME @FriedShoes
I thought the CG only looked good when there was little to no movement. The 2D animation looked great most of the time, just like it did back in the movies. I don't mind the first episode being a mess overall because I figure they just want to establish the tone of the series and Guts' character so they can rush into the Conviction Arc and be able to get it done in 25 or so episodes. At the same time, I wonder if 25 episodes are enough to get considerably farther into the series, like all the way until the Berserker Armor, or at least until the Reunion on the Hill of Swords. Thinking about it, there's really plenty of material here to make for a couple of seasons of really interesting stuff while Miura finishes the Fantasia arc.

Odo

Guys, Naruto/One Piece/Bleach used to be (are?) the big shounen titles internationally since the 2000's. Back in the days, when I still had any knowledge about anime/manga, those 3 were huge.

So, which titles will (have?) succeed them?

Socar

Guys, Naruto/One Piece/Bleach used to be (are?) the big shounen titles internationally since the 2000's. Back in the days, when I still had any knowledge about anime/manga, those 3 were huge.

So, which titles will (have?) succeed them?
As of now, One Piece succeeds them both simply because the other two were already bombing before they reached their endings and really, One Piece somehow sold higher than your average typical manga.

Idk why the hell I'm still reading OP if at all I hate every thing in it. There are so many damn plotholes right from the beginning and its nothing fresh as it always stays the same thing over. Go to island, bash bad guys and leave, rinse and repeat.

Now you can easily tell me to just stop One Piece but I can't since I need to figure out what makes it so damn special to begin with so that I have to make stuff that consumers want by observing these little things like what One Piece has to offer.

I will give credit to OP and that is its artstyle and humor. The artstyle while having bland female characters most of the time (seriously, to draw a female, its just one x and two circles and the proportion is nearly the same for almost all females out there.) is very creative and quite immersive. It helps to make the worlds believable and I quite like it a bit.

Humor when done right works really well and I say that because the comic reliefs are simply dry.

Odo

As of now, One Piece succeeds them both simply because the other two were already bombing before they reached their endings and really, One Piece somehow sold higher than your average typical manga.

Idk why the hell I'm still reading OP if at all I hate every thing in it. There are so many damn plotholes right from the beginning and its nothing fresh as it always stays the same thing over. Go to island, bash bad guys and leave, rinse and repeat.

Now you can easily tell me to just stop One Piece but I can't since I need to figure out what makes it so damn special to begin with so that I have to make stuff that consumers want by observing these little things like what One Piece has to offer.

I will give credit to OP and that is its artstyle and humor. The artstyle while having bland female characters most of the time (seriously, to draw a female, its just one x and two circles and the proportion is nearly the same for almost all females out there.) is very creative and quite immersive. It helps to make the worlds believable and I quite like it a bit.

Humor when done right works really well and I say that because the comic reliefs are simply dry.
But is there anything that could succeed One Piece?

About what makes One Piece so successful. Well, I used to watch it 10 years ago or so and it really gave me a DB/DBZ feeling. DB/DBZ is just .... straight simple. It's about getting stronger in a very interesting universe of humans, aliens and even gods. It's some sort of DC comics for the Japanese.

I like DC comics because they're simple. Superman is just a god and Justice League is just a pantheon of gods in a multiverse of characters, humans, aliens, mutants, gods, etc. You know exactly what's good and evil.

So, that's what One Piece provides, a coherent big universe where its protagonist gets stronger over and over again. There's no complicated plots nor deep drama. That's what most boys enjoy. I like it too.

Socar

But is there anything that could succeed One Piece?

About what makes One Piece so successful. Well, I used to watch it 10 years ago or so and it really gave me a DB/DBZ feeling. DB/DBZ is just .... straight simple. It's about getting stronger in a very interesting universe of humans, aliens and even gods. It's some sort of DC comics for the Japanese.

I like DC comics because they're simple. Superman is just a god and Justice League is just a pantheon of gods in a multiverse of characters, humans, aliens, mutants, gods, etc. You know exactly what's good and evil.

So, that's what One Piece provides, a coherent big universe where its protagonist gets stronger over and over again. There's no complicated plots nor deep drama. That's what most boys enjoy. I like it too.
Yes....actually, even Dragon ball beats the hell out of one piece.

First of all, One Piece has a hell lot of plotholes. Many defend and say that everything is explained properly and no, nothing is explained properly.

For example, Robin wanted to join the Straw hat crew when she said that Luffy saved her when she wanted to commit suicide....um, since she's a devil fruit user, don't you think she can easily drown herself to death by jumping over the sea instead of joining with Luffy? The character itself is dull being plain quite and all....

Then there's the problem with death that One Piece simply has. The main characters never die when nearly every single one of them have been stabbed, electrocuted, poisoned (ok so atleast there I can forgive the author because its believable) and nearly drowned to death.

Dragon Ball is so damn believable simply because the characters have proper strength and even if the situation is always like that much of damage could have caused their deaths, it didn't matter because they can always be wished back so death isn't a problem in Dragon Ball one bit.

One Piece, HELL its a problem because you can't make the character super strong and expect him/her to survive no matter what happens. Nami and Robin are very fragile so one bolt should easily kill them and yet it doesn't. I can't believe that people don't find this as a big flaw and yet still praise it a lot.

Unfortunately, One Piece is the Harry Potter of Japan only instead of Harry Potter having proper endings and having proper developed characters, you get shabby characters with lame passions and the struggle of avoiding death with little to no aftermath thoughts.

Koenig

The Architect
my current favorite is Re Zero
it combines 2 of my favorite things... stories in which the main character is transferred or reincarnated into another world (my current favorite anime/manga/light novel genre), and Groundhogs Day-esque time loops... it is also just done very very well
I just watched that the other day (I marathon the fuck out of shows when I get the chance). I really enjoyed it and its unique groundhog/majora's mask mechanic. I just wish the main character was not such a bore for so much of the show. I hope the series gets a second season sooner rather than later; If there is any one thing that bugs me about good shows it is an unresolved story.

theMightyME

I just watched that the other day (I marathon the fuck out of shows when I get the chance). I really enjoyed it and its unique groundhog/majora's mask mechanic. I just wish the main character was not such a bore for so much of the show. I hope the series gets a second season sooner rather than later; If there is any one thing that bugs me about good shows it is an unresolved story.
the manga has a spin-off series that takes place during the MC's coma and focuses on another character... I haven't read it though, so I can't say if it is any good

-------------

this current anime season has been kind of boring for me... as a result I am falling way behind on even the series I do like, because nothing is motivating me to check crunchyroll out... usually 1 or 2 reallys trong shows get me to crunchyroll and then I watch a bunch of other stuff while I am there... but now I just neglect to even go there even though there are several shows I do like, there just aren't those 1 or 2 appointment viewing shows that really get me to go there...

next season looks good... a lot of second seasons I really like
Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! - hilarious show
ChäoS;Child - continuation of ChäoS;Head
Yowamushi Pedal - addictive
Gran Blue Fantasy - I am digging the manga it really feels like a classic jrpg... absed on a mobile game I think, but the manga is good
Fuuka - I read the manga, it is from the same manga-ka as Suzuka, and features the daughter of the 2 leads from that series
Little Witch Academia - the tv version of the animated short from Trigger (Kill la Kill)

and that is just the stuff I am already invested in from previous seasons or manga...

and then spring has new seasons of Berserk (despite the bad cg animation, I love Berserk's story so much that I can't not watch) and Attack on Titan

Socar

My brother got me a manga book that has vol 1 & 2 of death note.

From what I've read so far, it seems interesting. I like how the book flips are reversed here as though they knew that manga pages are reversed so it makes it easier to get used to it faster.

Koenig

The Architect
Out of curiosity, has anyone here ever watched Xam'd? It is probably my favorite example of a show that I felt had near limitless potential but crashed and burned spectacularly.

I loved the animation, the music, the characters, the mystery, the imagination, the style, and spiritual and technological elements of this show more than just about any other show I have ever seen across the board respectively; too bad the story imploded into a spiral of bullshit.

Socar

I don't get the flak that One Piece gets for its artstyle except for females which really is ridiculous.

Heck I don't even know why I'm still thinking about one piece even though I stopped it for a while now seeing how I can't accept it for what it is while at the same time, can sort of understand why many love it.

theMightyME

I don't get the flak that One Piece gets for its artstyle except for females which really is ridiculous.

Heck I don't even know why I'm still thinking about one piece even though I stopped it for a while now seeing how I can't accept it for what it is while at the same time, can sort of understand why many love it.
One Piece will never appeal to you so I am glad you are stopping it.. you wont learn anything from it if you actively hate watch, that is just basic psychology, your whole need to watch to understand thing was a fallacy because you were coming to hate based conclusions that diminished the opinions of those who do like it rather than just accepting it, it was unhealthy.... so I am glad you stopped..

now you just need to start Hunter X Hunter which I think you will be more interested in... it is BY FAR the most strategic of the shounen action shows, and even late in its run it keeps itself balanced in that way... unlock shows like bleach and naruto which quickly devolved into pissing contests

Hunter X Hunter fits your tastes much better than any of the others

I say this as a fan of both one piece and hunter x hunter, who likes each for very different reasons

Socar

One Piece will never appeal to you so I am glad you are stopping it.. you wont learn anything from it if you actively hate watch, that is just basic psychology, your whole need to watch to understand thing was a fallacy because you were coming to hate based conclusions that diminished the opinions of those who do like it rather than just accepting it, it was unhealthy.... so I am glad you stopped..

now you just need to start Hunter X Hunter which I think you will be more interested in... it is BY FAR the most strategic of the shounen action shows, and even late in its run it keeps itself balanced in that way... unlock shows like bleach and naruto which quickly devolved into pissing contests

Hunter X Hunter fits your tastes much better than any of the others

I say this as a fan of both one piece and hunter x hunter, who likes each for very different reasons
I've read HunterxHunter and am now in Vol4 and so far, its about the same level as One piece having several plotholes.

For starters, why isn't there a school to train those who want to become hunters rather than just developing their training and then deciding to go for the test. And why aren't the guys behind that license or whatever aware of characters like Hisoka killing off people like that? Its a profession and a test that is suppose to NOT lead participants to death unless this somehow has authorities to do so.

A lot of things in the trial rounds are about as whimsical as One Piece with each test expecting the participants to understand the test when most of them are just barely understandable. One of the rounds has them taking sheet numbers so they get six points and have one week to leave....um, what is stopping them from just seeing each other and switching the sheets so they all can win?

I feel that people who love One Piece and Hunter only do so just to sympathize the actual authors behind those series as both of them are incredibly sick and if it continues to be like that, could cause their lives...just like how Herge lost his life before even finishing his supposedly last work of his.

Now the Manga that I do like and that I can accept it is Magi and I think everyone should take a look at it. The artstyle while not anywhere unique as say One Piece or Dragon Ball is charming at the least though some of it seems questionable.

But what makes it standout is the amount of depth each character has and shows ACTUAL character development....man, do you ever see that in One Piece or HunterxHunter? I really like Sinbad here as he is a character that's very interesting and is hard to judge whether he's good or bad.

While most of it is about politics, there is some variety to it such as economy, traditions etc.

Why can't all manga have developing characters than a set of cliche ones like the ones One Piece has? Or maybe even HunterXHunter?

theMightyME

I've read HunterxHunter and am now in Vol4 and so far, its about the same level as One piece having several plotholes.

For starters, why isn't there a school to train those who want to become hunters rather than just developing their training and then deciding to go for the test. And why aren't the guys behind that license or whatever aware of characters like Hisoka killing off people like that? Its a profession and a test that is suppose to NOT lead participants to death unless this somehow has authorities to do so.

A lot of things in the trial rounds are about as whimsical as One Piece with each test expecting the participants to understand the test when most of them are just barely understandable. One of the rounds has them taking sheet numbers so they get six points and have one week to leave....um, what is stopping them from just seeing each other and switching the sheets so they all can win?

I feel that people who love One Piece and Hunter only do so just to sympathize the actual authors behind those series as both of them are incredibly sick and if it continues to be like that, could cause their lives...just like how Herge lost his life before even finishing his supposedly last work of his.

Now the Manga that I do like and that I can accept it is Magi and I think everyone should take a look at it. The artstyle while not anywhere unique as say One Piece or Dragon Ball is charming at the least though some of it seems questionable.

But what makes it standout is the amount of depth each character has and shows ACTUAL character development....man, do you ever see that in One Piece or HunterxHunter? I really like Sinbad here as he is a character that's very interesting and is hard to judge whether he's good or bad.

While most of it is about politics, there is some variety to it such as economy, traditions etc.

Why can't all manga have developing characters than a set of cliche ones like the ones One Piece has? Or maybe even HunterXHunter?
hunter x hunter continues to delve deep and get more and more strategic... your questions about the exam are NOT plotholes... btw.... they are all explainable

1. why isn't there a school to train those who want to become hunters rather than just developing their training and then deciding to go for the test?

Hunter X Hunter has a MUCH larger and more complicated world than most of the manga you are reading... The hunter license doesn't have a school because people come from different backgrounds... there are different types of hunters, and many of them just do their own thing rather than become part of an organization... some even sell the license for profit

2. And why aren't the guys behind that license or whatever aware of characters like Hisoka killing off people like that?

They are aware, they don't really care.... the hunters association thinks big picture, they are not creating a safe space, there is more to the hutners liscence.

3. Its a profession and a test that is suppose to NOT lead participants to death unless this somehow has authorities to do so?

it is just a license, there is no salary or pay, it like getting a college degree, having the license allows you access to other jobs... the world of hxh is dark and cruel though, this isn't hogwarts, they don't protect you

as for the point game... you can't make enough points on trades alone... because trading means getting rid of your own number, which you need the points from... if i remember correctly you need 6 points... each player starts with 3, their own number.... their target is worth another 3, and any non target number is worth 1...... so if everyone traded with their target they would all be at 3 points again.... not enough to pass

Binged on Gurren Lagann again, mistake as it made me sad and also disappointed as the second movie is so much better than the second/third arcs of the TV series.
Was gonna take another dive into Madoka, as the movies are on Netflix, but decided not to continue to bum myself out and tried out something new.

My brother suggested Jojo, which I will check out asap, but I opted for something more classic I suppose? I remember playing this japanese fighting game for the super famicom in my robotics class a few years back called Ranma something, really fun. Was reminded of it while watching Gurren Lagann, found out it was an anime and grabbed all of that for viewing afterward.
I wasnt really clear on the premise of the anime, I had assumed that it was just goofy martial arts family with a pair of twins. I was incredibly off, dont know how I didnt guess from the OP, I'm still pretty weak with my detective skills in some areas.
I really like it. The whole premise is interesting to say the least but very fun too. The style is soothing to me as well. Funny and cute so far, I've enjoyed pretty much everything about it, real good.