Official Anime/Manga Discussion Thread

Koenig

The Architect
Ive been watching the new version of Voltron. I am really enjoying it; it reminds me a lot of Avatar: The last air bender, but you know, worse. The show has me by the balls each time the season(s) end on a cliff hanger and I have to wait for the next batch of episodes.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
Ive been watching the new version of Voltron. I am really enjoying it; it reminds me a lot of Avatar: The last air bender, but you know, worse. The show has me by the balls each time the season(s) end on a cliff hanger and I have to wait for the next batch of episodes.
It is from the same people that did avatar... But neither this nor avatar are anime

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I guess that's a discussion of its own: can an animated show like Avatar be identified as anime just for being made in the same style? Or does it have to be made by a Japanese animation studio as well?

Koenig

The Architect
I don't really want to get into that argument right now, but it really comes down to your own interpretation of what "anime" is. It does not help that there are roughly 3-4 competing definitions for "anime" at the moment, with no outright winner. Regardless of what definition you go with though, there will always be exceptions to the rule.

I have more or less adopted a hybrid approach; if a show enough qualities from any particular version of the definition ill call it anime; whether it is style, location, content, or a combination thereof.

theMightyME

there are only 2 legit position to hold

1. The Japanese position - in Japan ALL comics are manga.. x-men in manga, peanuts is manga, etc... and all animation is anime... that includes Disney movies like Beauty and the Beast, and even a CG movie like Minions... but this is a ridiculous approach to take in the west... what are just words there have become mediums here. In this case arguing that Avatar is anime means you also have to argue that Scooby Doo is.

2. The western position - anime means animation produced in Japan... this doesn't mean animated in japan, but at the higher levels of production... meaning written by, characters designs by, directed by, etc.. anime studios often outsource their actual animation to Korea and China just as the west outsourced Saturday morning cartoon animation to Japan (X-Men for example). Animation itself is just the labor... how it animated is determined by the storyboards, by the Director, and by the studio producing it... that is the heart behind any creative endeavor.

any other position is BS

Koenig

The Architect
Just finished Tiger & Bunny on Netflix; I really enjoyed it.

Any of you all have some short-ish anime (3-52 episodes) that you might recommend? Ideally ones that conclude their story rather than have an open ending.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.

Any of you all have some short-ish anime (3-52 episodes) that you might recommend? Ideally ones that conclude their story rather than have an open ending.
Legend of the Galactic Heroes is a mere 110 episodes, and it concludes in a totally satisfying way (other than making you wish there were another 20 or so episodes).

Edit: if that's too much you could just watch Space Dandy. It's 26 episodes.

theMightyME

Akame ga Kill
Anohana
*Another
Chaika
Charlotte
Code Geass
DNA^2
*Erased
*Interlude
*Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Samurai Flamenco
School Days
*Serial Experiments Lain
The Future Diary
Welcome to the NHK

I literally just scoured through Crunchyroll's entire series listing to put that together * are my top picks

I surely missed soem along the way as I quickly scanned them...

but my top picks

*Another - great for Halloween, a creepy ghost story in which kids in a classroom are dying
*Erased - one of the best anime in a long while... has time travel, a little bit of Groundhogs day looping, a murder mystery, childhood nostalgia, etc...
*Interlude - so this made it all worth it, I have been looking for this show, I had forgotten the name.. only 3 eps, but eps are long
*Puella Magi Madoka Magica - brilliant dark deconstruction of the sailor moon magical girl genre
*Serial Experiments Lain - amazing series about tech and such, a girl just gets completely absorbed into computers, awesome show

some notes on a few others

School Days is like the typical highschool harem series, except stuff happens, sex and complications and such
Charlotte ended up becoming much more than I expected from it initially, kind of an anime trope version of mutant prosecution and abuse stories (x-men)
Samurai Flamenco is another one that ended up beign much mroe than I thought it would be based on the early episodes, it is a deconstruction of sentai (power rangers) shows.

Koenig

The Architect
Legend of the Galactic Heroes is a mere 110 episodes, and it concludes in a totally satisfying way (other than making you wish there were another 20 or so episodes).

Edit: if that's too much you could just watch Space Dandy. It's 26 episodes.
I started LotGH a while back, but I found it pacing very jarring. Ill give it another shot sooner or later. Completed Space Dandy a few semesters back.

Akame ga Kill
Anohana
*Another
Chaika
Charlotte
Code Geass
DNA^2
*Erased
*Interlude
*Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Samurai Flamenco
School Days
*Serial Experiments Lain
The Future Diary
Welcome to the NHK

I literally just scoured through Crunchyroll's entire series listing to put that together * are my top picks

I surely missed soem along the way as I quickly scanned them...

but my top picks

*Another - great for Halloween, a creepy ghost story in which kids in a classroom are dying
*Erased - one of the best anime in a long while... has time travel, a little bit of Groundhogs day looping, a murder mystery, childhood nostalgia, etc...
*Interlude - so this made it all worth it, I have been looking for this show, I had forgotten the name.. only 3 eps, but eps are long
*Puella Magi Madoka Magica - brilliant dark deconstruction of the sailor moon magical girl genre
*Serial Experiments Lain - amazing series about tech and such, a girl just gets completely absorbed into computers, awesome show

some notes on a few others

School Days is like the typical highschool harem series, except stuff happens, sex and complications and such
Charlotte ended up becoming much more than I expected from it initially, kind of an anime trope version of mutant prosecution and abuse stories (x-men)
Samurai Flamenco is another one that ended up beign much mroe than I thought it would be based on the early episodes, it is a deconstruction of sentai (power rangers) shows.
Honestly, I absolutely hated the half of those that I have seen. We seam to have polar oposite tastes. (Although I did LOVE Samurai Flamenco until it flipped the table)

Neo Yokio is pretty good
I am not sure if you are serious or trolling me. I can never really tell with you.

Last edited:
I actually didnt mind it, it wasnt bad but nothing special. There's an extended Ranma reference so instant 6/10.

Gunbuster and Gunbuster 2 are short and sweet together, despite being made in different eras with different styles. If you havent seen them yet.
Madoka is good but I'd recommend watching Rebellion afterward. Or maybe you shouldnt, at least not until they release the sequel to that. oh but its so good

Any other English dub-jobs on the level of Shin Chan or Ghost Stories? Where they basically rework the entire dialogue and characterizations for the series for comedic effect?

I'm not talking about one-off lines like in some recent Funimation dubs, like the gamergate line in Prison School.

welp, I give up.
Going through Vento Aureo manga. Found some absolutely sweet color scans and very good translation (lemme know if you want a link), gonna see if I can blast through it all.

@FriedShoes Duly noted. Ill add it to my list.
ah, Katanagatari is 12 episodes long, complete story. There's an extended gag/joke in the first few episodes with a pretty good payoff, especially when you consider the anime aired over a year, with month long waits between each episode.
------------------------------------------
So Jojo Part 5 was pretty cool.
But Jojo Part 6 is amazing. Basically perfect. And fitting, considering the next two parts. This one would take a shitload more effort to animate, so part6never.
------------------------------------------
HOLY FUCK
Ok wow I didnt actually trust it in the beginning but man Part 7 is amazing too! Like, might be tied for favorite right now. Damn, damn! What do I do now?

I'm gonna merge these posts but look at these panels, pure art!

Last edited:
talk of the season seems to be Devilman Crybaby. Have yet to see it, but it looks very unique.

I did watch the first episode of Pop Team Epic, the anime adaptation of the 4-cell japanese shitposting comic that you've probably seen in some form somewhere where shitposts exist. Much to my surprise, the anime is also a giant shitpost, actually admirable of them to do what they did.

simplyTravis

"A nice guy, but looks like a f'n Jedi!"
Lol. Now I am curious, have you found many anime that you like before?
Actually yes. That stuff earlier was just for snorts and chuckles.

I watched DBZ back in Middle School, got into Cowboy Bebop (still need to start that over), and watched a little bit of Samurai X. I dated a girl back in the day that was way too anime for my tastes and I think that soured a lot of it for me. Something about the whole abandonment of your identity for a bastardized version of what you think Japan is like based off of cartoon culture was very odd. I don't miss hanging around those people.

I also love me some Studio Ghibli-esque epics but I'm not sure that really counts as anime.

I realize there are redeeming aspects to the art style but there are just certain parts I could live without.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.

I watched DBZ back in Middle School, got into Cowboy Bebop (still need to start that over), and watched a little bit of Samurai X. I dated a girl back in the day that was way too anime for my tastes and I think that soured a lot of it for me. Something about the whole abandonment of your identity for a bastardized version of what you think Japan is like based off of cartoon culture was very odd. I don't miss hanging around those people.

I also love me some Studio Ghibli-esque epics but I'm not sure that really counts as anime.

I realize there are redeeming aspects to the art style but there are just certain parts I could live without.
This is anime:

No other anime I've seen even comes close, except for animated movies.

theMightyME

ahh, but did you watch the supernatural anime (yes, it exists)

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
I just marathoned Devilman Crybaby.

First 6-ish episodes? Bad. The sort of anime you show to people if you want to turn them off of anime forever, and thereby control the potential weeb population.

Last 4-ish episodes? Alright, despite the animation taking a nose dive here and there.

Of those last 4 episodes, the final 2? Legitimately OK.

Last edited:

Zero

The Random Jackass
I've been watching Samurai Champloo yet again. I've lost count of how many times I've watched it since it came out in NA. Definitely one of my favorites.

Evangelion 3.0+1.0/2*π=Anno please make more Godzilla movies teaser dropped a few days ago.
2020 release.
and goddammit they used the worst character to tease it.

Nice as topic. In any case, it's a good idea. So for my part I did not follow many series for lack of time with the job, but, this summer, I spotted Love and Lies and Altaïr, and I finally only watched the first episode of Altaïr, that I found rather well, honest with the manga (without succeeding to equal the beauty of the manga but hey that's normal), but I have not looked the rest so far, while I really like the manga.
I will end up no longer watching anime I think.

Last edited:

simplyTravis

"A nice guy, but looks like a f'n Jedi!"
Nice as topic. In any case, it's a good idea. So for my part I did not follow many series for lack of time with the job, but, this summer, I spotted Love and Lies and Altaïr, and I finally only watched the first episode of Altaïr, that I found rather well, honest with the manga (without succeeding to equal the beauty of the manga but hey that's normal), but I have not looked the rest so far, while I really like the manga.
I will end up no longer watching anime I think.
Yo @kyle88 welcome to the TNE Forums! Glad to see some new blood around here. We have a Discord where a lot of the folks from here play games often (especially Tuesday Nights at 8pm ct.) Feel free to join us! https://discord.gg/SjdGW87

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
I've been trying to enhance my Ghibli knowledge lately. I had only watched Princess Mononoke once before, so I re-watched it. The dub didn't bother me nearly as much this time (slow down, Billy Bob), and the overall pacing seemed a bit better this time. It has a fantastic plot and wonderfully morally murky characters, but it still hasn't quite blown me away like it has others.

So I popped in Spirited Away to see if I'd like it more. I do, slightly. What really strikes me with this one is just how talented a director Miyazaki is. The long camera pans, the framing of scenes, his ability to let a long-focus shot tell a story...he's a better cinematographer than most. Not in anime, but in all of film.

Still, neither one of these are the sort of anime that I'd recommend to people who aren't already fans of anime. They're fantastic examples of the medium at its best, but they don't quite transcend it.

Next up, backtracking to Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. Then I'll dive into Takahata: Grave of the Fireflies and The Tale of Princess Kaguya.

Hulu has ALL the anime, holy fuck. Rewatching Sailor Moon, which has SO much filler as all these older shows do but whatever. I just wish it had spanish dubs.