Official Anime/Manga Discussion Thread

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
"thMightyME" wrote:
"juegosmajicos" wrote:
"thMightyME" wrote:
I've decided to marathon the works of satoshi kon... I have seen like half of them.... but I want to marathon them all

did you ever read his farewell note? I read the whole thing back when it came out.. was a soggy mess of tears and hair for like an hour after.... how many people get that chance, to know they are going to die, and to write down their thoughts in that regard... and how many actually do? satoshi kon did.... I felt so close to him reading those final thoughts, but it wrecked me too
Man, I'm drunk on vodka right now, so I read the letter after reading your post. This paragraph wrecked me:

To be truthful, I'd only told the people closest to me about the cancer. I hadn't even told my parents. In particular, because of various work-related complications, I couldn't say anything (to people) even if I wanted to. I wanted to announce my cancer on the internet and report on my remaining life, but if Satoshi's death was scheduled, there might be some waves made, however small. For these reasons, I acted very irresponsibly towards some people I know. I am so sorry.
He is sorry! Fucking selfless guy. I did watch several of his movies before his passing, and I thought they were brilliant but was never compelled to watch the rest of his body of work. I watched Millenium Actress, Paprika, Perfect Blue, and Tokyo Godfathers at different points, aware that they were all by him but without the intent of completing his body of work, unlike I did for a while with Akira Kurosawa. All the same, they're all great films and I still want to watch the rest of his work, I just haven't set my mind to it yet.
you have seen almost everythign already if you only want to go over what he actually directed... he did a 1 minute short called "good morning" and then there is a 13 episode anime series called paranoia agent... otherwise you've seen everything he did.... there is 1 other movie but it is unreleased, it is about 1/3 finished based on his storyboards and notes and such, but ran out of funding... I wish madhouse (the animator) would do a kick starter or something... I would chip in
I've seen only the first episode of Paranoia Agent, it was great but I never got to see the rest. Now I have to. I'll look for his other stuff.

Man now I know what you mean, you were "a mess of tears and hair". I kept reading it, and practically after every paragraph I would stop and cry about my own life and the people I know. Satoshi Kon was an incredibly sensible person to write just the perfect words to evoke this kind of response. Last time I had a good cry like this was a year and a half ago, and before that it was several years.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
anybody watching the current anime season

what I like so far...

Boku Ha Tomodachi Ga Sukunai NEXT - loved the original series, still great

Kotoura-san - the beginning is just brutal, and then like halfway through the episode is the most wtf hilarious moment that relieves all that angst and stress, so good... I love high contrast storyteliing

Mondaijitachi ga Isekai Kara Kuru Sou Desu yo - entertaining so far, hard to tell what kind of direction it will ultimately take

those are the only ones that really hit for me... thankfully a bunch of the good anime from last season are continuing on through this one

repomech

resident remnant robot relic
"thMightyME" wrote:
I've decided to marathon the works of satoshi kon... I have seen like half of them.... but I want to marathon them all

did you ever read his farewell note? I read the whole thing back when it came out.. was a soggy mess of tears and hair for like an hour after.... how many people get that chance, to know they are going to die, and to write down their thoughts in that regard... and how many actually do? satoshi kon did.... I felt so close to him reading those final thoughts, but it wrecked me too
Yeah I read it at the time as well. The farewell note was heart breaking. I can only respect the courage with which he faced the end.

Which of his works have you yet to see?

theMightyME

"repomech" wrote:
"thMightyME" wrote:

Yeah I read it at the time as well. The farewell note was heart breaking. I can only respect the courage with which he faced the end.

Which of his works have you yet to see?
quite a few actually... there were allot I wanted to watch but just never got around to, I kind fo want to marathon them with somebody else, it is just that kind of experience I want to have shared... I felt that way with paprika which I still haven't seen, just been waiting for the opportunity to watch it with somebody else and never got around to it...

I think I have only actually watched (in completion) perfect blue and tokyo godfathers, though I saw about half of paranoia agent... so yeah I have a bunch to watch... I just want to do it right

repomech

"thMightyME" wrote:
quite a few actually... there were allot I wanted to watch but just never got around to, I kind fo want to marathon them with somebody else, it is just that kind of experience I want to have shared... I felt that way with paprika which I still haven't seen, just been waiting for the opportunity to watch it with somebody else and never got around to it...

I think I have only actually watched (in completion) perfect blue and tokyo godfathers, though I saw about half of paranoia agent... so yeah I have a bunch to watch... I just want to do it right
For me personally, I'd probably not want to marathon his works, simply because there can be a lot to digest, and while I can do some marathons of a single story series in general, I find jumping in and out of different arcs, worlds and characters wears me down after a couple hours, it loses something (invariably the heart and mind get left behind, still dwelling in certain places while your eyes are plowing ahead). Some of his works are also more straightforward than others (the two you've seen are probably the most straightforward).

I'm curious to know what you think of Millenium Actress and Paprika when you see them (I think Millenium Actress might be my favourite of his - but it's hard to say as all his films have something good and memorable for generally very different reasons). While I enjoyed Paranoia Agent well enough, I'm not sure I'd ever re-watch it, I didn't find it worked for me as well as his films.

theMightyME

"repomech" wrote:
"thMightyME" wrote:

For me personally, I'd probably not want to marathon his works, simply because there can be a lot to digest, and while I can do some marathons of a single story series in general, I find jumping in and out of different arcs, worlds and characters wears me down after a couple hours, it loses something (invariably the heart and mind get left behind, still dwelling in certain places while your eyes are plowing ahead). Some of his works are also more straightforward than others (the two you've seen are probably the most straightforward).

I'm curious to know what you think of Millenium Actress and Paprika when you see them (I think Millenium Actress might be my favourite of his - but it's hard to say as all his films have something good and memorable for generally very different reasons). While I enjoyed Paranoia Agent well enough, I'm not sure I'd ever re-watch it, I didn't find it worked for me as well as his films.
I probably wont watch them all in 1 sitting... more like 1 or 2 movies every time I get together with a friend... less of a marathon, and more of me watching through them all with a viewing partner hahaha... maybe I'll marathon paranoia agent though... the guy I'll probably watch them with is soembody I have marathoned allot of stuff with (mainly stuff I have already seen but he hadn't... like lost, breaking bad, etc..)... so I am also tryign to marathon supernatural with him so i might marathon supernatural with him and use satoshi kon to break up the monotony every so often

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I saw that Jam, but I don't know how to feel about it. On one hand, Kenji Yamamoto and Yoko aren't involved. On the other hand, the director is basically a master class badass of animation, and the same animation director from practically every other Ghost in the Shell thing ever. Who knows if he can direct a good series, though.

running_in_jam

Videogame Sound Designer and Composer
Yeah, my enthusiasm definitely decreased when I found out about Yoko. It also decreased when I read Production I.G apparently haven't top of their game lately. How much truth was in that I don't know.

Anyway, Ghost in the Shell is huge. I think they'd be completely nuts not to do it justice or acknowledge the quality of the other series and films.

DarkKevit

That old bloke from Crete...
Well, me and the Better Half sat down to watch Princess Mononoke together, with, I may say some trepidation, especially on her part. Long story short, we both LOVED it, especially Lisa, who was spellbound.

Going to def watch more, and it seems that Akira and Ghost in the Shell are highly recommended here. So they will probably be next. Are there any other movies in a similar vein to Princess Mononoke? I am always worried that the anime films are very male oriented, whereas PM was just great, Lisa loved the whole Nature v Progress theme.

theMightyME

"DarkKevit" wrote: Well, me and the Better Half sat down to watch Princess Mononoke together, with, I may say some trepidation, especially on her part. Long story short, we both LOVED it, especially Lisa, who was spellbound.

Going to def watch more, and it seems that Akira and Ghost in the Shell are highly recommended here. So they will probably be next. Are there any other movies in a similar vein to Princess Mononoke? I am always worried that the anime films are very male oriented, whereas PM was just great, Lisa loved the whole Nature v Progress theme.
grab pretty much anything by miyazaki (who did mononoke) or satoshi kon

miyazaki is kind of seen as the more mature walt disney of japan... allot of their stuff has to do with nature at ends with civilization as well... just basically look up both his catalog of work and those from his studio (studio ghibli) grave of the fireflies will wreck you emotionally, spirited away is like a japanese alice in wonderland, pretty much everything they have put out is classic and if you like mononoke this is probably your goto anime director

satoshi kon's works are really deep and often deal with complex psychology, his first big film was comapred to hitchcock, he was a brilliant director and you can see our praise and tears for him on the last page as we talk about his untimely death and his heart wrenching death bed letter to the world

for movies.. those are the 2 sources I would recommend...

but here are some others that might appeal to you:
the girl who lept through time
summer wars
arashi no yoru ni (very much like a disney movie, talking animals and all, but much better)

the real draw on anime is on TV series, every season (4 a year) there are like 30 new anime series they are usually short run... like 12 episodes total, no second season, a full story beginning/middle/end... these tend to ahve a pretty significant range from stuff aimed at little kids, to action battle stuff that you probably know about (dbz, naruto, one piece), to surprising dark horror fare (another, mirrai nikki), and everything inbetween

for some classic series that might appeal to you:
FLCL
Serial Experiments Lain

there are anime about just about everything.. I had a an anime about bread baking that I loved, and 1 about a band trying to break out, and there have been a ton about games like go, shogi, and mahjong... a recent rend has been anime about online games, often with the main character unable to log out and risking their actual lives by playing

DarkKevit

"thMightyME" wrote:
"DarkKevit" wrote:
Well, me and the Better Half sat down to watch Princess Mononoke together, with, I may say some trepidation, especially on her part. Long story short, we both LOVED it, especially Lisa, who was spellbound.

miyazaki is kind of seen as the more mature walt disney of japan... allot of their stuff has to do with nature at ends with civilization as well... just basically look up both his catalog of work and those from his studio (studio ghibli) grave of the fireflies will wreck you emotionally, spirited away is like a japanese alice in wonderland, pretty much everything they have put out is classic and if you like mononoke this is probably your goto anime director

satoshi kon's works are really deep and often deal with complex psychology, his first big film was comapred to hitchcock, he was a brilliant director and you can see our praise and tears for him on the last page as we talk about his untimely death and his heart wrenching death bed letter to the world

summer wars
arashi no yoru ni (very much like a disney movie, talking animals and all, but much better)

the real draw on anime is on TV series, every season (4 a year) there are like 30 new anime series they are usually short run... like 12 episodes total, no second season, a full story beginning/middle/end... these tend to ahve a pretty significant range from stuff aimed at little kids, to action battle stuff that you probably know about (dbz, naruto, one piece), to surprising dark horror fare (another, mirrai nikki), and everything inbetween

FLCL
Serial Experiments Lain

there are anime about just about everything.. I had a an anime about bread baking that I loved, and 1 about a band trying to break out, and there have been a ton about games like go, shogi, and mahjong... a recent rend has been anime about online games, often with the main character unable to log out and risking their actual lives by playing
Thanks for all the helpful info and recommendations, they are both really appreciated.

It sounds like the Studio Ghibli will our first port of call, as the movies you describe will probably appeal to Lisa. Thanks again, and I'll be sure to comment back further.

theMightyME

"DarkKevit" wrote:
"thMightyME" wrote:
"DarkKevit" wrote:

summer wars

FLCL
Serial Experiments Lain

Thanks for all the helpful info and recommendations, they are both really appreciated.

It sounds like the Studio Ghibli will our first port of call, as the movies you describe will probably appeal to Lisa. Thanks again, and I'll be sure to comment back further.
and once you have made your way through the studio ghibli anime catalog, if you have a ps3 you can play ni no kuni which is the studio ghibli game

repomech

"DarkKevit" wrote: Well, me and the Better Half sat down to watch Princess Mononoke together, with, I may say some trepidation, especially on her part. Long story short, we both LOVED it, especially Lisa, who was spellbound.

So glad to hear you both loved it!

Now depending on what you mean by the "same vein" as Princess Mononoke (and feel free to clarify) there's a couple ways one could go. Hayao Miyazaki (the man behind Princess Mononoke), just before founding Studio Ghibli in the mid-80's made his first animated full length feature film adapted from a sci-fi-fantasy manga he had begun in the early 80's. It's called "Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind", and is about as close to Princess Mononoke as one is going to get thematically and in terms of characters within the context of an action epic. It is amazing, I love it, I wholeheartedly recommend it, this is must see stuff (and if you've ever felt inclined to read a manga, this is a great one) - but I would suggest a slight detour first before diving in as it might be too similar too soon. Also, being Miyazaki's first work the animation is not yet as detailed as Princess Mononoke nor as polished, as he was still mastering his craft, and the soundtrack is very much a product of the 80's - a lot of synth (I'm a huge unapologetic fan of the era - but I recognize it's not to everyone's tastes). Don't let me scare you off Nausicaa, it's still distinct, it's got the same universal appeal, it's every bit as engaging, and anything animated by Miyazaki from the 80's on can really only be said to be 'rougher' in animation in comparison to his other works - it still looks better than 99% of animation ever made, and I'm confident the both of you will love it, I'm just suggesting sampling around a bit first (also saves a great treat for later). That said, you did ask for the "same vein", and when you've been bitten by something new and exciting, why stray too far from the new love, right? So here's another way to go, I'm recommending the film Spirited Away

Spirited Away is also by Hayao Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli. It is really the culmination of the other track of Miyazaki's works - the children's fantasy. Don't let that frighten you off, it's certainly more "all ages" than Princess Mononoke, but it's no less enjoyable and intelligible to adults - nothing here is going to insult your intelligence or bore you. It has a lot in common with Alice in Wonderland and if Princess Mononoke's story is a like an arrow loosed into the sky, cutting a clear purposeful arc across a gorgeous vista before landing at its target destination, than Spirited Away's adventure tale is more comparable to watching the twists and twirls and dissipation of the smoke from a pipe - no less beautiful, but definitely it's own thing (and in this case the pipe is probably filled with opium). It was the film he made after Princess Mononoke, the animation is in absolute top form, and it's the best incorporation of wonder and fantasy into a contemporary setting I've ever seen. This world is amazing, it revels in its surreal magic and beauty without the need to over explain itself. I can't recommend this highly enough.

If you're looking for something more on the strictly adult end of things then it might be time to talk Satoshi Kon (and by adult - I mean actually adult, as in intellectually adult, as in adults are comprised of both women and men, not in the sense that North American censors use "adult", which typically means "teenaged male").

PS - Fair warning on Akira and Ghost in the Shell, both are incredible (they are among the anime greats), but both can also be tough to follow at points (and Ghost in the Shell has some meandering pacing issues in middle - although if Wolf's Rain didn't bother you in this regard you should be fine). I do recommend seeing them both at some point though, just make sure you're alert and well rested or they could lose anyone. With Akira in particular make sure you get your hands on the later dub, it makes the story less needlessly obtuse/confusing than the first dub.

EDIT: I started composing this earlier this afternoon and just came back to it now to finish up and post, hadn't read themightyme's response yet and the subsequent replies. It sounds like it's a very similar recommendation though. The only qualification I would add to simply tearing through Studio Ghibli's library Darkkevit (if I understood your intention correctly), is that not all of it is that great. There's a lot there that is though - and if you want some guidance on sifting through it to separate the wheat from the chaff, you know where to find myself and others. My above recommendation stands though, Spirited Away would be a great next stop.

DarkKevit

"repomech" wrote: "DarkKevit" wrote:Well, me and the Better Half sat down to watch Princess Mononoke together, with, I may say some trepidation, especially on her part. Long story short, we both LOVED it, especially Lisa, who was spellbound.

So glad to hear you both loved it!

Now depending on what you mean by the "same vein" as Princess Mononoke (and feel free to clarify) there's a couple ways one could go. Hayao Miyazaki (the man behind Princess Mononoke), just before founding Studio Ghibli in the mid-80's made his first animated full length feature film adapted from a sci-fi-fantasy manga he had begun in the early 80's. It's called "Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind", and is about as close to Princess Mononoke as one is going to get thematically and in terms of characters within the context of an action epic. It is amazing, I love it, I wholeheartedly recommend it, this is must see stuff (and if you've ever felt inclined to read a manga, this is a great one) - but I would suggest a slight detour first before diving in as it might be too similar too soon. Also, being Miyazaki's first work the animation is not yet as detailed as Princess Mononoke nor as polished, as he was still mastering his craft, and the soundtrack is very much a product of the 80's - a lot of synth (I'm a huge unapologetic fan of the era - but I recognize it's not to everyone's tastes). Don't let me scare you off Nausicaa, it's still distinct, it's got the same universal appeal, it's every bit as engaging, and anything animated by Miyazaki from the 80's on can really only be said to be 'rougher' in animation in comparison to his other works - it still looks better than 99% of animation ever made, and I'm confident the both of you will love it, I'm just suggesting sampling around a bit first (also saves a great treat for later). That said, you did ask for the "same vein", and when you've been bitten by something new and exciting, why stray too far from the new love, right? So here's another way to go, I'm recommending the film Spirited Away

Spirited Away is also by Hayao Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli. It is really the culmination of the other track of Miyazaki's works - the children's fantasy. Don't let that frighten you off, it's certainly more "all ages" than Princess Mononoke, but it's no less enjoyable and intelligible to adults - nothing here is going to insult your intelligence or bore you. It has a lot in common with Alice in Wonderland and if Princess Mononoke's story is a like an arrow loosed into the sky, cutting a clear purposeful arc across a gorgeous vista before landing at its target destination, than Spirited Away's adventure tale is more comparable to watching the twists and twirls and dissipation of the smoke from a pipe - no less beautiful, but definitely it's own thing (and in this case the pipe is probably filled with opium). It was the film he made after Princess Mononoke, the animation is in absolute top form, and it's the best incorporation of wonder and fantasy into a contemporary setting I've ever seen. This world is amazing, it revels in its surreal magic and beauty without the need to over explain itself. I can't recommend this highly enough.

If you're looking for something more on the strictly adult end of things then it might be time to talk Satoshi Kon (and by adult - I mean actually adult, as in intellectually adult, as in adults are comprised of both women and men, not in the sense that North American censors use "adult", which typically means "teenaged male").

PS - Fair warning on Akira and Ghost in the Shell, both are incredible (they are among the anime greats), but both can also be tough to follow at points (and Ghost in the Shell has some meandering pacing issues in middle - although if Wolf's Rain didn't bother you in this regard you should be fine). I do recommend seeing them both at some point though, just make sure you're alert and well rested or they could lose anyone. With Akira in particular make sure you get your hands on the later dub, it makes the story less needlessly obtuse/confusing than the first dub.

EDIT: I started composing this earlier this afternoon and just came back to it now to finish up and post, hadn't read themightyme's response yet and the subsequent replies. It sounds like it's a very similar recommendation though. The only qualification I would add to simply tearing through Studio Ghibli's library Darkkevit (if I understood your intention correctly), is that not all of it is that great. There's a lot there that is though - and if you want some guidance on sifting through it to separate the wheat from the chaff, you know where to find myself and others. My above recommendation stands though, Spirited Away would be a great next stop.Another wonderfully helpful post, from an obviously knowledgeable poster. Thanks Repo, and Spirited Away and Nausicaa have gone to the top of the list (Lisa is wanting more nature v humans type stuff)

I have to say that the level of help and the lack of talking down on this forum is a breath of fresh air. Thank you all!!. As always I will post back the impressions when these recommendations have been obtained and watched!!

repomech

"thMightyME" wrote:
I probably wont watch them all in 1 sitting... more like 1 or 2 movies every time I get together with a friend... less of a marathon, and more of me watching through them all with a viewing partner hahaha... maybe I'll marathon paranoia agent though... the guy I'll probably watch them with is soembody I have marathoned allot of stuff with (mainly stuff I have already seen but he hadn't... like lost, breaking bad, etc..)... so I am also tryign to marathon supernatural with him so i might marathon supernatural with him and use satoshi kon to break up the monotony every so often
Yeah that would make a lot more sense to me personally. I've reached a point where I'm feeling pretty saturated with the sheer quantity of what is available in terms of media culture these days. It's nuts. The things I really love that stuck with me I saw because I wanted to see when I had some free time, (or read because I wanted to read, or played because I wanted to play etc.), and if it connected I've always come back to them over the years. Back in the 90's or even early 2000's, if I marathoned something it was never the intent with which I approached it, it was just because it was so captivating I couldn't stop until I was done. Those experiences, a wonderful discovery here and there, spaced out over a lifetime - it's great. Trying to cram the entire history of a medium/fandom into marathon sessions or keep on top of it these days (impossible), it's stressful. I'm increasingly realizing that the things I try to cram in and structure and schedule and complete with the kind of tasking that one approaches life's obligations with, it saps the enjoyment - they might be great but the experience of viewing it will be empty. Anyway, I drifted a bit off your point there I'm sure. A fun marathon with a friend is a different beast from the backlog stresses and "must see this" checklists I was alluding to, and still a great time.

"running_in_jam" wrote:
Are you guys ready for a bombshell?

BAM

http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/news/2013-01-15/ghost-in-the-shell-arise-anime-to-launch-in-2013

I am so elated I cannot convey my excitement in words!!

It seems that apparently Yoko Kanno is not involved, which is very disappointing...the new composer will have a lot to live up to!
Saw this earlier this week and wanted to comment but just didn't get around to it. Two things:

1. I love what Kenji Kamiyama did with the two Stand Alone Complex series of Ghost in the Shell. Absolutely on the short list of the best series of the past decade, and of all time. That said, I don't feel the need for a third, and so I'm down for a fresh take. If anything my biggest concern would be if it tries to be SAC, and falls short as opposed to simply bringing something that's unapologetic in its newness to the table. We've seen Ghost in the Shell through the two Mamoru Oshii films, we've seen the two Kenji Kamiyama series (+film), the source material from Masamune Shirow's manga Armored Mobile Riot Police is quite distinct from either of those two interpretations - and so far everything's been really good. I think it's clear the franchise is flexible in how it can be presented. Colour me excited. If there's specific concerns with what is being done, I'll get worried then, but I have no problem with someone other than Kamiyama taking a crack at the Major.

2. That was a big news day all around. Patlabor. Pat-f'ing-labor. PATLABOR, got licensed for a North American BD release of the original 80's OVA (not the TV series that came later, forget that). And the price is totally reasonable ($25 USD) - I'm pre-ordering this one (fingers crossed it gets a new dub!). This could pave the way for the 2 movies getting a BD release stateside as well. Patlabor. Trust me you'll be seeing that name come up again on my 15 greats from each of the past three decades. In addition the original Space Adventure Cobra series got licensed for a DVD release (first time over here), which was really interesting (though it's a BD of the totally zany, awesome, beautiful, pure 80's distilled, movie I'd really like to get my hands on).

"DarkKevit" wrote:

Another wonderfully helpful post, from an obviously knowledgeable poster. Thanks Repo, and Spirited Away and Nausicaa have gone to the top of the list (Lisa is wanting more nature v humans type stuff)

I have to say that the level of help and the lack of talking down on this forum is a breath of fresh air. Thank you all!!. As always I will post back the impressions when these recommendations have been obtained and watched!!
My pleasure, and I look forward to reading what the two of you think of those films. Feel free to ask away for any guidance or recommendations on this anime journey (especially through a lot of the more classic stuff).

running_in_jam

Videogame Sound Designer and Composer
@Repomech: That's kind of how I feel about the new GitS. Clearly, it's going to be a fresh approach and to be honest I welcome that. I haven't been pinning for an extension of SAC, so I too will be going into it and simply taking it for what it is.

I've certainly heard of Patlabor, but I haven't watched it yet. I'll add it to my list!

I'm about half way through Cowboy Bebop. It's taken me a looong time to start watching it, but it's definitely living up to it's expectations.

Koenig

The Architect
If you are enjoying the ghibli movies, I would highly recommend watching Laputa: Castle in the Sky. (Also, the source of repomech's avitar)

theMightyME

"AniGamer" wrote: Hoping for a Sword Art Online Season 2! Also, really enjoying Magi right now. Great series!
it is base don a light novel series which has continued on beyond that point so it is likely.. also it is apparantly tied to acel world... so check that out.... and there have been a lot of great anime recently with the same kind of idea of being stuck in a game (not necessarily in a literal way, sometimes it is a decidedly gamey fantasy world instead)... like btooom, Ixion Saga DT, and Mondaijitachi ga Isekai Kara Kuru Sou Desu yo

Btooom is awesome and high stakes/dramatic like sword arts online but is about a game that is kind of like a competitive shooter only you use different kinds of bombs to set traps and such, and instead of literally being in the game, people are abducted and taken to an island in which the game is made real.. so it is like sword arts online meets battle royale....

Ixion Saga DT is a fantasy world, and a guy gets transferred there while playing a game it is an over the top slapsticky comedy

Mondaijitachi ga Isekai Kara Kuru Sou Desu yo is about this world in which people have come from various alternate dimensions ebcause they have special powers which they use in games set up by demon lords and such...

AniGamer

TNE Clan Owner
AniGamer wrote: Hoping for a Sword Art Online Season 2! Also, really enjoying Magi right now. Great series!
it is base don a light novel series which has continued on beyond that point so it is likely.. also it is apparantly tied to acel world... so check that out.... and there have been a lot of great anime recently with the same kind of idea of being stuck in a game (not necessarily in a literal way, sometimes it is a decidedly gamey fantasy world instead)... like btooom, Ixion Saga DT, and Mondaijitachi ga Isekai Kara Kuru Sou Desu yo

Btooom is awesome and high stakes/dramatic like sword arts online but is about a game that is kind of like a competitive shooter only you use different kinds of bombs to set traps and such, and instead of literally being in the game, people are abducted and taken to an island in which the game is made real.. so it is like sword arts online meets battle royale....

Ixion Saga DT is a fantasy world, and a guy gets transferred there while playing a game it is an over the top slapsticky comedy

Mondaijitachi ga Isekai Kara Kuru Sou Desu yo is about this world in which people have come from various alternate dimensions ebcause they have special powers which they use in games set up by demon lords and such...
I heard about it being tied to Accel World as well, though I have a hard time getting into an anime if the charcters are so young, especially in grade school. It makes me feel like the target audience definitely isn't us. Its just a pet peeve of mine, I'd rather watch an anime with older characters .

repomech

@Repomech: That's kind of how I feel about the new GitS. Clearly, it's going to be a fresh approach and to be honest I welcome that. I haven't been pinning for an extension of SAC, so I too will be going into it and simply taking it for what it is.

I've certainly heard of Patlabor, but I haven't watched it yet. I'll add it to my list!

I'm about half way through Cowboy Bebop. It's taken me a looong time to start watching it, but it's definitely living up to it's expectations.

Hell yeah on GitS.

Patlabor is an older classic franchise from the 80's but it has a really different sensibility from other mecha anime of the time (Gundam, Macross etc.), in fact in many ways it's more of an anime about characters with mecha in it, than it is a mecha anime. There's a few series and movies associated with it, and not all are of equal quality. There's 2 OAV's from the late 80's and early 90's, a 90's TV series and 3 movies. The really great stuff is the first 7-episode OAV (that's the one getting a blu-ray release) and the first two movies.

If you are enjoying the ghibli movies, I would highly recommend watching Laputa: Castle in the Sky. (Also, the source of repomech's avitar)

Which I need to re-size to fit the new icon boxes! ;P

theMightyME

AniGamer wrote: Hoping for a Sword Art Online Season 2! Also, really enjoying Magi right now. Great series!

I heard about it being tied to Accel World as well, though I have a hard time getting into an anime if the charcters are so young, especially in grade school. It makes me feel like the target audience definitely isn't us. Its just a pet peeve of mine, I'd rather watch an anime with older characters .
they are highschool students.... just a different art style

Cyan

Anyone here watching JoJo? I need to know what subs I should watch (NOT DUWANG!) :D
I just finished Stardust Crusaders in the Manga, about to start on Diamond is Unbreakable.

Koenig

The Architect
I love Sgt. Frog, classic anime in my eyes. It's one of those series to just kick back and enjoy in small doses!
It was the first "Comedy" anime I actualy enjoyed, and boy did I enjoy it... I really wish funimation would dub the remaining episodes.

Koenig

The Architect
Anyways, I just finished the 2003 version of Astro Boy. I must say it feels great to finally finish the series.
Now to figure out what other shows I should watch and/or get back to work.

Koenig

The Architect
Has any one seen the sequel to Last exile? I am interested in watching it, but I would like to hear some impressions before I dedicate the time.

theMightyME

anyone familiar with the manga AKUMETSU ? best seinen manga ever imo you guys should read it
it is actually shounen manga... doesn't look that itneresting to me personally..

if you want some really good dark seinen manga try Shamo, or Berserk

my new favorite manga is Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei (new favorite as in my favorite series that is more recent.. not my current favorite of all)

it is a typical magic highschool type series but with a more sinister underlying tone and some interesting characters

the mangas I would most recommend:
Berserk (like the japanese game of thrones)
Hunter X Hunter (best shounen action/battle manga ever)
Beck (my favorite of all time)
Rosario to Vampire (and it's sequel series Rosario to Vampire 2)
20th Century Boys (and it's sequel series 21st century boys)
Bakuman (kind of an education about manga in itself)
Death Note (a classic)
Jisatsu Circle (a haunting read.. MUCH better than the movie it is based on)
Negative Happy Chainsaw Edge (so emotionally poignant, a story about dealing with loss)
NHK ni Youkoso (about Hikikomori (japanese shut-ins) really funny and with an emotionaly driven backbone)
Onani Master Kurosawa (jokingly known as "fapnote" because it is like death note with masturbation.... but it actually turns into a truly beautiful story which kind of shocked me)

some of the anime I am currently watching

Psycho Pass - SOOOOO good, an absolutely amazing villain, and a wonderfully dark dystopian setting
Magi - a great adventure.... makes me wish we had a really good arabian knights TV series... like an HBO series... from Brian Fuller
Kotoura-san - the most awesomely WTF moment in a first episode ever hahaha... ok as a series, but that first episode is amazing
Zetsuen no Tempest - the manga was clever, the anime is masterful
Robotics;Note - from the team that brought you ever series with 2 words that have a semi-colon between them
Mondaijitachi ga Isekai Kara Kuru Sou Desu yo - great concept, great characters
Maoyuu Maou Yuusha - about the strategies of war and survival.. less about action though, more about solving problems like hunger
Ixion Saga DT - pretty hilarious, especially if youa re well versed in japanese/anime/game tropes
JoJo's Bizare Adventure - I watched very little of the series back in the day, the remake is just awesomely done, it looks both modern and retro at the same time
Hunter X Hunter - finally the manga series gets a TRUE adaptation... this is JUST like the manga.... sooooo good

AniGamer

TNE Clan Owner
anyone familiar with the manga AKUMETSU ? best seinen manga ever imo you guys should read it
it is actually shounen manga... doesn't look that itneresting to me personally..

my new favorite manga is Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei (new favorite as in my favorite series that is more recent.. not my current favorite of all)

it is a typical magic highschool type series but with a more sinister underlying tone and some interesting characters

Death Note (a classic)
Negative Happy Chainsaw Edge (so emotionally poignant, a story about dealing with loss)
NHK ni Youkoso (about Hikikomori (japanese shut-ins) really funny and with an emotionaly driven backbone)
Onani Master Kurosawa (jokingly known as "fapnote" because it is like death note with masturbation.... but it actually turns into a truly beautiful story which kind of shocked me)

Psycho Pass - SOOOOO good, an absolutely amazing villain, and a wonderfully dark dystopian setting
Magi - a great adventure.... makes me wish we had a really good arabian knights TV series... like an HBO series... from Brian Fuller
Kotoura-san - the most awesomely WTF moment in a first episode ever hahaha... ok as a series, but that first episode is amazing
Robotics;Note - from the team that brought you ever series with 2 words that have a semi-colon between them
Maoyuu Maou Yuusha - about the strategies of war and survival.. less about action though, more about solving problems like hunger
Ixion Saga DT - pretty hilarious, especially if youa re well versed in japanese/anime/game tropes
JoJo's Bizare Adventure - I watched very little of the series back in the day, the remake is just awesomely done, it looks both modern and retro at the same time
Hunter X Hunter - finally the manga series gets a TRUE adaptation... this is JUST like the manga.... sooooo good
I started the new JoJo, the animation just wasn't doing it for me. The story has always been average, but good. Just to me it looks like a bad western attempt at anime. /:

theMightyME

Death Note (a classic)

I started the new JoJo, the animation just wasn't doing it for me. The story has always been average, but good. Just to me it looks like a bad western attempt at anime. /:
western? jojo is classic, it just has that retro 80s anime vibe... how much did you watch... there are layers to jojo that have to be peeled back... I think the show is hilarious and has allot of heart

AniGamer

TNE Clan Owner

Death Note (a classic)

western? jojo is classic, it just has that retro 80s anime vibe... how much did you watch... there are layers to jojo that have to be peeled back... I think the show is hilarious and has allot of heart
Don't get me wrong, I watched the original and loved it. As well as read the manga. Im a huge Otaku, It just didnt appeal to me as the classic did.

Any Naoki Urasawa fans here? I've just finished reading Monster and it was a very compelling read. I have not seen the animated series yet, but I do plan to see it eventually. Right now I'm busy reading Pluto, and so far I like his world and narrative vision on Tezuka's Astro Boy. Very cyberpunk.

Really love his character designs and storytelling.

theMightyME

Any Naoki Urasawa fans here? I've just finished reading Monster and it was a very compelling read. I have not seen the animated series yet, but I do plan to see it eventually. Right now I'm busy reading Pluto, and so far I like his world and narrative vision on Tezuka's Astro Boy. Very cyberpunk.

I have seeb like 3 episodes of the monster anime, and read like 5 or so chapters of the manga.. always emant to continue on, but never did

I have read 20th century boys and its sequel 21st century boy... very stephen king

I have seeb like 3 episodes of the monster anime, and read like 5 or so chapters of the manga.. always emant to continue on, but never did

I have read 20th century boys and its sequel 21st century boy... very stephen king
I've been meaning to read 20th Century Boys, but it always eluded me. When I finish Pluto, I think I'll give that one a shot. I think there was also a series of adaptation films, though I can't imagine myself seeing it unless I'm committed on watching it.

theMightyME

I've been meaning to read 20th Century Boys, but it always eluded me. When I finish Pluto, I think I'll give that one a shot. I think there was also a series of adaptation films, though I can't imagine myself seeing it unless I'm committed on watching it.
there is a movie trilogy... I haven't seen it... but i "have" it

So I just got around to finishing Oblivion Island: Haruka and the Magic Mirror. It was a good watch, and well worth the money. Didn't know what to expect at first, but the ears of film festival wheat that were all over the front cover gave sort of a suggestion that this movie should've been good.

I was not disappointed at the slightest. It's an entertaining movie, and an extremely artistic movie -- the best of both worlds. Fun characters, playful imagery, and affectionate storytelling. I highly recommend this movie.

AniGamer

TNE Clan Owner
So I just got around to finishing Oblivion Island: Haruka and the Magic Mirror. It was a good watch, and well worth the money. Didn't know what to expect at first, but the ears of film festival wheat that were all over the front cover gave sort of a suggestion that this movie should've been good.

I was not disappointed at the slightest. It's an entertaining movie, and an extremely artistic movie -- the best of both worlds. Fun characters, playful imagery, and affectionate storytelling. I highly recommend this movie.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll get around to watching it.

Recently finished Angel Beats! Such a great, and moving show. I went and got the OSTs... but some songs bring tears to my eyes because of the moments they represent in the show. Been a while since any form of media has moved me so.

ASuch

The Salt Master
Looked through my Hulu playlist, dear lord!! I got halfway through Fist of the North Star and stopped there. I definitely want to finish that first. I also still have to finish Code Geass.

AniGamer

TNE Clan Owner
I recently just finished Rosario Vampire Capu 2 again. Aside from anime, I'm also watching Transformers Prime, and Transformers Rescue Bots.

theMightyME

I recently just finished Rosario Vampire Capu 2 again. Aside from anime, I'm also watching Transformers Prime, and Transformers Rescue Bots.
read the manga if you get the chance.. soooooo much better.... the manga starts to take a much more serious approach as it progresses