Official Anime/Manga Discussion Thread

Haven't been watching too much anime lately, but Shin Sekai Yori and Girls und Panzer are surprisingly good. They're two completely different shows meant for different audiences, but they're interesting watches. And I've lost a lot of faith in current anime as well.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
What were everyone's impressions of the spring anime airings?
still watching them.. but so far I like
Shingeki no Kyojin - the city in the episode is awesome... very last story-esque, and the tone of the show is really dark and dire when it gets going
Yahari ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru - love the main character
Hataraku Maou-sama! - probably my favorite of the new season so far
Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge - surprised how much I am enjoyign an anime about cutting hair lol
Date a Live - thought it was ok, my friend says the original (a light novel I think) is pretty good, the best part was the opening when he scared his sister
red data girl - pretty dark vibe but I could end up hating it in a few eps

still haven't seen... devil survivor 2... and whatever else will eventually come out

AniGamer

TNE Clan Owner
Shingeki no Kyojin - the city in the episode is awesome... very last story-esque, and the tone of the show is really dark and dire when it gets going
Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge - surprised how much I am enjoyign an anime about cutting hair lol
Date a Live - thought it was ok, my friend says the original (a light novel I think) is pretty good, the best part was the opening when he scared his sister

still haven't seen... devil survivor 2... and whatever else will eventually come out
I haven't watched any of them yet, but I'm excited to watch Aku No Hana and Attack on Titan tomorrow!

theMightyME

I haven't watched any of them yet, but I'm excited to watch Aku No Hana and Attack on Titan tomorrow!
couldn't get into aku no hana... the animation is done "waking life style" as in animated over real people... so the animation si really smooth but strange looking for animation, and the art itself often looks like crap.... some people like that style.... I don't... had no idea it was like that until I watched it... didn't like it

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
I'm currently rewatching Yu Yu Hakusho and, I must say, I remember why I loved it so much back then. It's great! I can't wait to get into Hunter X Hunter later on!

theMightyME

I finally went 100% legit with my anime.... crunchyroll and funimation... been wanting to do it for a while but was set in my ways and it was hard to transition... transition complete

Koenig

The Architect
This thread needs more activity (In my opinion) Anyways, I just finished the dubbed episodes of Case Closed, and I have to say it was a blast...Now if only Funimation had the funds to actually finish the series (And almost every other they have touched!)

theMightyME

so my current anime queue

crunchyroll:
majestic prince - kind of has an old school vibe like voltron-esque but with a little modern gundam in there too
my teen romantic comedy is wrong as I expected - pretty funny, great main character
devil survivor 2 - ok... I am playign the first game, and really have no interest in playing the second
valvrave the liberator - VERY gundam... but in that code geass special powers direction too, pretty interesting directions it has taken too
oreimo 2 - I am not a huge fan of the series, it is just well polished for its kind, I thik of stuff like this as anime comfort food
the severing crime edge - really good and getting more interesting
hunter x hunter - I LOVE this series, love the manga too, but the ant arc is pretty boring at the begining as it was in the manga... tonight's episode was just f'n brutal though
henneko - more anime comfort food... pretty funny too
attack on titan - SOOOOOOOO good, the last couple episodes just completely sold me... I was like WTF!!! amazing
gargantia on the verdurous planet - very interesting I like the kind fo sociopathic direction human society took and how that is treated, it just slowed to a f'n halt though
arata the legend - I don't like it much on the surface but it has moments of brilliance that make me like it... the brutality can be sufficiently emotional, and I really liked the whole prison arc

funimation:
date a live - pretty funny and interesting
the devil is a part timer - sooo good, almost always notably funny, with some moments that go beyond that as well
a certain scientific railgun s - I love the toaru series... and the whole clone storyline is great so it is cool to kind of explore it from a different angle with more emotional pay-off since this time it is following railgun's perspective... I really hope when this finishes that another index series is on the way... the last index series wasn't as good as the first, but I love the characters all the same

Cubits

Haven't read through the whole thread, but i am a big fan of pyschologically/ethically interesting anime, and the batshit crazy stuff (Red Line, lol). After getting through the back catalogue of awesome examples several years ago, i would drift through the anime aisle in stores, seeing nothing interesting. Really, it has been quite a long time since i've seen any interesting new anime.
But i just smashed through a marathon of Steins;Gate, and it was pretty damned great. I love it when time-travel is handled well, and this series pulled a fairly good "12 Monkeys" for the most part. The ending is a bit wobbly, but still way more satisfying than something like Gantz (WHY DID YOU MAKE ME WATCH YOU?!). Many thumbs up!

For reference, i also loved Boogiepop Phantom, Lain, Perfect Blue, and Paprika. All full of great twists and explore complex ideas.

And of course, the classics like GITS and Evangelion. Eva had a nice blend of using the biblical references and giant fighting robots to visually amuse while the real story of smashing broken people together played out. It's a shame the endings
lacked conviction, but the whole thing is pretty easy watching.

theMightyME

Haven't read through the whole thread, but i am a big fan of pyschologically/ethically interesting anime, and the batshit crazy stuff (Red Line, lol). After getting through the back catalogue of awesome examples several years ago, i would drift through the anime aisle in stores, seeing nothing interesting. Really, it has been quite a long time since i've seen any interesting new anime.

But i just smashed through a marathon of Steins;Gate, and it was pretty damned great. I love it when time-travel is handled well, and this series pulled a fairly good "12 Monkeys" for the most part. The ending is a bit wobbly, but still way more satisfying than something like Gantz (WHY DID YOU MAKE ME WATCH YOU?!). Many thumbs up!

For reference, i also loved Boogiepop Phantom, Lain, Perfect Blue, and Paprika. All full of great twists and explore complex ideas.

And of course, the classics like GITS and Evangelion. Eva had a nice blend of using the biblical references and giant fighting robots to visually amuse while the real story of smashing broken people together played out. It's a shame the endings
lacked conviction, but the whole thing is pretty easy watching.
have you tried Puella Magi Madoka Magica? it is liek a deconstruction of the magical girl (sailor moon) genre.. I tend to love genre deconstructions or twists on common tropes... it is a VERY good series and I highly recommend it, but it is one of thsoe ones you will wonder why you are watching it, thinking "ehhh there is some good here... but why?" and then it starts taking root and the really crazy stuff happens

there were quite a few other series like that in japan... for example narutaru is like pokemon with real world consequences and really dark social issues come into play

since you liked stein;gate you should look into the ";" series lol... basically there are a slew of series made by the same people that have a semi colon iun the middle of 2 words.. they are all unrelated, but made by the same people.. chaos;head, robotics;notes

for recent series, psycho pass just ended last season and there is some interesting dystopian scifi going on in that... another was a really dark story you might like

don't know about what is currently on that might interest you... maybe attack on titan

if you haven't already, you should check out the works of Naoki Urasawa such as Monster, and 20th century boys... both were manga, monster got an anime, 20th century boys got a live action movie trilogy

manga-wise you might be interested in negative happy chainsaw edge which is a great short series that deals with loss and grief, and jisatsu circle which is expertly crafted in a very personal way

I am trying to think of some others but am drawing a blank

perfect blue and paprika were both from satoshi kon (RIP) so you can consider looking into his other works, he had a TV series called paranoia agent thta should be right up your alley... the team that did lain also did quite a few other things together... they had some interesting looking project in development last year that seems to have been cancelled unfortunately

as for gantz... did you read the manga? the anime wraps stuff up with its own storyline and it is really stupid... that entire last arc is not in the manga at all and the manga has like 4 or so arcs after that one and is still going in japan (but near its end)

some other manga to consider are shamo (about a mma fighter guy kindof... but VERY VERY dark and psychologically compelling), and doubt (kind of a "saw" like concept but it goes in much more interesting directions)

there is a ton of stuff out there that is up your alley, you just need to know where to look, you might be better off lookign for stuff online through legit services like crunchy roll rather than looking in video stores

you can watch stuff for free on crunchy roll (with ads and a week later) or you can pay like $7 a month for HD streaming simulcasts (they air basically the same time as they do in japan)

http://www.crunchyroll.com/

theMightyME

not really reading anything new, just keeping up with my old series, the anime season is coming to a close soon I have to say that the best anime of the season is EASILY attack on titan... I have been falling behind with my other anime serieswith like 1-3 episodes in nearly every series I watch backed up

it is probably time to look at next season's schedule and figure out what I want to watch there

Koenig

The Architect
I am still watching Detective Conan. Made it to episode 400 today...This series just does not end.
~X(

Is it good?
In my opinion? Very.
It is one of the few somewhat "realistic" anime that is actually fun to watch. While it has a plot, it is rarely touched on. Instead most plots are self contained investigations and usually solved within one or two episodes. In the words of my sister: "So its a cross between CSI and the emperors new groove"

theMightyME

I am still watching Detective Conan. Made it to episode 400 today...This series just does not end.
~X(

Is it good?
In my opinion? Very.
It is one of the few somewhat "realistic" anime that is actually fun to watch. While it has a plot, it is rarely touched on. Instead most plots are self contained investigations and usually solved within one or two episodes. In the words of my sister: "So its a cross between CSI and the emperors new groove"
it is about a teenaged detective who is transformed into a boy and you call it realistic? lol

but I get what you mean... I think less than being realistic it is more that it is like a procedural show in its structure... personally I dislike that.... for more realistic anime and mang that I like:
beck
heads (about a brain transplant... but still done in a very realistic way)
bakuman (the characters can be a bit hung up on destiny and fate but in general it has a realistic setting and style
onani master kurosawa (a bit of outlandish premise up front but after it settles down it becomes VERY realistic)

Koenig

The Architect
I just consider the show to be far more realistic than most anime I have seen. You don't have flying ninjas, giant mechs, superhuman powers, and the like. Aside from the the initial plot twist, the show is quiet tame, focusing its resources on good writing and scenarios.

theMightyME

I just consider the show to be far more realistic than most anime I have seen. You don't have flying ninjas, giant mechs, superhuman powers, and the like. Aside from the the initial plot twist, the show is quiet tame, focusing its resources on good writing and scenarios.
I got it, I was just f'n with you hahaha

Koenig

The Architect
I'll have to check it out at some point.
What's your favorite comedy anime?

Sgt. Frog. (Dub)
Sgt. Frog is hands down my favorite comedy anime; no ifs, and's, or butts.

I'll have to check it out at some point.

Sgt. Frog. (Dub)
Sgt. Frog is hands down my favorite comedy anime; no ifs, and's, or butts.

I'll have to look into it. Have you ever seen Nichijou?

I have not. Ill be sure to look into it once I finish Detective Conan.

It's a very funny show. It's a kind of slapstick anime and there aren't many similar to it. It has scenes like this>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=z30Y572EmCk

Koenig

The Architect
Looks interesting, though It will probably take a little time for me to get used to.
In regards to Sgt.Frog:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dk5De2CElh4
Most of its humor comes from breaking down the third wall, pop culture, and good scripting. When its random, it admits it.ALSO: it was made by the creators of Gundam, so expect a lot of cameos.

Koenig

The Architect
I have heard good things about Attack on Titan. I will need to watch it eventually, however I am an odd one out and prefer watching/starting with dubbed anime.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
I have heard good things about Attack on Titan. I will need to watch it eventually, however I am an odd one out and prefer watching/starting with dubbed anime.
Nothing wrong with that. Hopefully it gets dubbed soon so you can check it out for yourself. It's great!

repomech

resident remnant robot relic
Flowers of Evil is probably the series I want to check out the most from this season. That and Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet. I've heard some good things.

repomech

Flowers of Evil is probably the series I want to check out the most from this season. That and Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet. I've heard some good things.

Have you seen Time of Eve?
You recommended it to me a while back and I shot it to the top of my "to-watch" list, but then you also recommended Azumanga Daioh, which my wife saw one clip of and *boom* that was it, AD it was (which was hilarious btw). I also got derailed by this prolonged time consuming project of rounding up the best anime of three different decades (ongoing - one more series to go back on and I can finally write the 80's section in earnest). So I still have yet to. But there it sits atop my list of priorities.

You recommended it to me a while back and I shot it to the top of my "to-watch" list, but then you also recommended Azumanga Daioh, which my wife saw one clip of and *boom* that was it, AD it was (which was hilarious btw). I also got derailed by this prolonged time consuming project of rounding up the best anime of three different decades (ongoing - one more series to go back on and I can finally write the 80's section in earnest). So I still have yet to. But there it sits atop my list of priorities.

It's less than two hours long you know...
:p
What are you planing with this anime decades thing? I remember I was talking to you about the best anime of each decade a while back.

repomech

What are you planing with this anime decades thing? I remember I was talking to you about the best anime of each decade a while back.
Great anime of the 80's, 90's and 00's. Something like a top 25, but I've scaled that down to a top 15 of each in the interest of actually getting a write up done (I can expand on it later). I set about revisiting a ton of anime I hadn't seen in years, decades in some instances, filling in some gaps of ones I'd never seen (I have some huge 00's gaps - the influx of anime started getting overwhelming and that was the time my life got a lot busier). I want to look at doing some original screen shots for it as well. Basically to do it right I needed to make sure I broadened my horizons beyond my personal past. It's easy to say that Space Adventure Cobra or Patlabor are a favourite of mine, but unless I am able to develop some kind of first hand basis for weighing their merits against other movies or series I may have missed, I can't do anything more than a favourites list (it's ultimately got a strongly subjective element to it either way).

Great anime of the 80's, 90's and 00's. Something like a top 25, but I've scaled that down to a top 15 of each in the interest of actually getting a write up done (I can expand on it later). I set about revisiting a ton of anime I hadn't seen in years, decades in some instances, filling in some gaps of ones I'd never seen (I have some huge 00's gaps - the influx of anime started getting overwhelming and that was the time my life got a lot busier). I want to look at doing some original screen shots for it as well. Basically to do it right I needed to make sure I broadened my horizons beyond my personal past. It's easy to say that Space Adventure Cobra or Patlabor are a favourite of mine, but unless I am able to develop some kind of first hand basis for weighing their merits against other movies or series I may have missed, I can't do anything more than a favourites list (it's ultimately got a strongly subjective element to it either way).

It sounds very interesting. Let me know when you've written something up and where you've put it.

// Time of Eve is an 00s decade anime by the way.

repomech

It sounds very interesting. Let me know when you've written something up and where you've put it.

// Time of Eve is an 00s decade anime by the way.

I definitely will! And yeah, I won't be touching the 00's for a hot minute. I have a nice chunk of homework to do on that front.

EDIT: on the topic of subjectivity there are different kinds, and I suppose what I wanted to achieve is an overview that while no doubt inescapably rooted in evaluative subjectivity, is not particularly limited by a subjectively narrow slice of experience.

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

I've been watching Kakumeki Valvrave for shits'n'giggles

When it comes to anime its either a hit or a miss. But I still watch things like Date A Live even if I dont like that particular genre. Lots of factors at play that keep me watching stuff lol.

Lots of Light Novel crap coming. They tend to suffer from pacing unfortunately but I'd watch more original story's if they didnt have bleh stories

I began watching Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince, as I've recently grown to like the anime that were written by Reiko Yoshida (K-on!, Aria, Girls und Panzer, etc.). I can admit that the robot and alien animations looked really cool, but I didn't like the writing, and I wished the characters were more established that their actions and decisions were believable. Nevertheless, I had fun watching their interactions, and I appreciated that high-school setting silliness in a war-torn environment.

This question was posted a while ago, but I'll bite: His and Her Circumstances, by Evangelion's Hideaki Anno, was a very delightful comedy. It's quirky characters, experimenting animation to tell a story, and its shameless self-admittance in low budget definitely made me smile. And laugh.

This question was posted a while ago, but I'll bite: His and Her Circumstances, by Evangelion's Hideaki Anno, was a very delightful comedy. It's quirky characters, experimenting animation to tell a story, and its shameless self-admittance in low budget definitely made me smile. And laugh.

I'll have to check it out. ;)

theMightyME

my favorite comedies tend to be cleverly disguised dramas.... like the devil is a part-timer, and heaven's lost property

I LOVE contrast so I love it when a series can be so ridiculously funny and then turn around and get you all serious too

Koenig

The Architect
Are there any good (preferable dubbed) anime that just came out this year? I am almost finished with Detective Conan (all 705 existing episodes, good Lord!)