Official Anime/Manga Discussion Thread

repomech

resident remnant robot relic
A great outcome of all this weekend anime anthology action was that I finally found my DVD copy of Neo-Tokyo that I'd thought I'd lost. It had been missing for years and it turns out we unpacked it directly into a drawer when we moved here (where it was before that is anyone's guess). I happened across it in my journeys and I can't impress enough how very happy I am about this.

Last edited:

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I actually recently put it on my to-watch list, but haven't gotten around to it. I heard the appeal of it is a large twist around episode 6 or 7, which moves it beyond the whole "kill gigantic monsters" part.

Ex-Actarus

On the topic of mecha anime, has anyone here ever seen RahXephon? I've been curious to check that out for years now.

OH MY GOD !
If an Anime deserve a title for WEIRDEST, I don't see any other anime than Rahxaphon getting it...
This series was like Evangelion on LSD :)
Believe me ! You you NEVER see weirder mechas than in Rahxaphon....
OH MY !
But it's a good anime, I actually enjoyed it despite its weirdness.

Odo

I used to like Anime, but I'm too old for this "shit". :D

Your day need to have 100 hours if you want to follow all the animes you like. I just can't sort them out.

Koenig

The Architect
I know the feeling. I still like to watch anime but I have to pick and choose what shows I am willing to dedicate any time to, as a result most anime really have to hook me on the first episode before I am willing to watch more; first impressions really are important.

Ishida Sui and his love of symbolism,oh where to begin.

Tokyo Ghoul, is probably one of my favorite tragedies. Although I would rather say the theme for his manga is "tragedy turned epic"

Im really glad the mangaka was able to execute on his vision for this series. He reminds me of Testsuya Takahashi and his narrative ambitions, with this manga. From the nuanced usage of symbolism,foreshadowing, to his attention to detail when it comes to world building and character development. Near flawless in execution. Ishida-san must be a really observant person in real life I think.The little arc between Amon and akira showed an uncanny level of understanding in human nature.Along with the effects of alchohol on our inhibitions hahah!!

He really likes his tarot cards and animal symbolics.

Kaneki's inner turmoil / reconciliation on the realization and impact of choice after living as a human and as a ghoul was absolutely beautiful. The last few chapters were really something else. Hide really did a lot for his mate. Now he's the CCG/Arima's pet and I have no clue when ghoul amon is supposed to show up and enlighten us upon what the hell is going on with this organization.

Apparently Tsukiyama is dead and everyone else joined Aogiri. Touka went off to college.

Sensei sure is cheeky tho, he named chapter 72 halfway and gave us that Joker one shot as a tease for the stories future :p.

I havent read much into the Tokyo Jack webcomic but I have read the first chapter fro Tokyo Ghoul Resurrection. I feel he's being cheeky again because the chapters are titled Bone-1. This one might be 206 chapters.

repomech

I've been watching Legend of the Galactic Heroes. It's fucking great.
Um, how did I miss this before? One of my all-time favourites. So you know now? You do, don't you? I can sense it. You understand the awesomeness that is Legend of the Galactic Heroes. It's like every epic philosophical space opera sci-fi war anime of the 70s and 80s was just a dress rehearsal for this.

Dude, that series is incredible. I was saving it as one of my top recommendations whenever I finished up that 80s/90s list I've sort of been working on for two years now - seems like you've discovered it already though.

It warms my heart that this era in anime is still winning new fans. I mean, many have heard of and still see Cowboy Bebop and Neon Genesis Evangelion - and with good reason. But Legend of the Galactic Heroes? It's a name whispered in hushed tones by those who know. At 110 episodes, it's not for the faint of heart, that series stretched from the late 80s up until about 97 or 98. Incidentally if you're looking to send off the 90's after that, yeah yeah The Big O is getting a re-release (it's okay, but life is short), the neater anime from 99' you may want to check out some day was a little 13 episode series called Now and Then, Here and There. But shhh... you didn't hear that from me, you're already at risk of developing overly awesome 90s anime sensibilities. After having absorbed the power of Berserk. Next week you'll be all Revolutionary Girl Utena up in here.

Oh and this little 90s OVA gem turned 20 this year...

(Top Gun eat your heart out)

Last year it was Patlabor 2, Mamoru Oshii's finest film.

@Mike D. You taking notes?

Last edited:

repomech

So...

Ms Mech and I went to see The Tale of Princess Kaguya this past weekend. Wow. This is quite probably the farewell film from Studio Ghibli - the end of an era. While the works of Hiyao Miyazaki have tended to get the most notice internationally, his Studio Ghibli co-founder and long time collaborator Isao Takahata has quietly wracked up an impressive list of great anime films over the years, from Grave of the Fireflies to Only Yesterday and Pom Poko. And this latest and likely last film (he has no more in production and is 78) is something special. I still don't know quite how to put all my thoughts together to express it, and a big part of me probably doesn't want to, we just enjoyed being swept away by it. So I'll just say this: it was so completely and utterly beautiful and captivating and amazing. If you love animation, if you love film, and if you are fortunate enough to live anywhere near a theatre that is playing this in its limited release - go see it.

Last edited:

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
@repomech I haven't finished Legend of Galactic Heroes yet. I've taken breaks in between seasons pretty much, though lately I've slowed down because I'm trying to watch the side stories (hasn't really been worth it yet) before starting on the third season. But so far, it's been incredible. There was one line in that awesome debate between dictatorships and democracy that really stuck with me, "the right to violate the rights of the people, belongs to the people".

I hope the series delivers even more toward the end, which I assume it does given the admiration everyone has for it. I heard about it from 4chan's /a/, by the way. The occasionall recommendation thread yields great results, if you know how to take recommendations (the best thread I've been in so far was one not asking for recommendations, but asking for "shows about adults. Not for adults, but about adults").

I saw the first Patlabor movie, but not the second one. I've had Now and Then... in my netflix queue forever, I guess I should watch it soon. And I did want to go back and watch the 2 or 3 series from which Robotech was cut, cause it all looked really interesting (though I feel that I've spoiled myself by watching LoGH before those).

I also wanted to watch that last Ghibli film, because the animation from the trailer looked so amazing. But I haven't motivated myself to do so.

repomech

I just watched the first episode of Parasyte earlier tonight. Intriguing. I'm going to watch more at some point. Right now though I'm feeling like finally starting a dive into RahXephon after all these years.

@juegosmajicos

Just enjoy is all I'll say. You're kind of right about spoiling yourself though. It does everything Gundam and Macross aimed to, but better. That said, if you're looking into Robotech's source material specifically - I would go Macross. Incidentally, the 20 year old OVA opening I posted above is from that franchise - it's 1994's Macross Plus.

How did you find the first Patlabor movie? Have you seen the OVA series? I ask because I took my cousin and his girlfriend to see a showing of Patlabor 2 this summer, and while they both enjoyed it, they agreed knowing the characters a bit more going in would have been helpful to orient, and also to get more out of some of the moments. I think it's worth watching the 7 part OVA classic Patlabor before diving into the movies for this reason alone. It's the genesis of the series, it's really very good, and you do get a feel for the characters without too much of a time commitment. Only if you're in love with the series at that point would I bother wading into the TV show (which you can totally pass on unless you just can't get enough). The classic 80's OVA + the two movies are the soul of Patlabor.

@Mike D.

Outlaw Star huh? I remember you mentioning that you were going to watch it. Have you started it? What has attracted you to it? I only saw a bit of it years ago and it didn't grab me - so I'll be curious and looking forward to hearing your impressions.

Just to make your life more difficult there's a few must see movies that would always be justified in jumping the queue - but none more so than Princess Mononoke (the greatest anime ever).

I need to get back to Kill la Kill myself - I am feeling again like I'm capable of enjoying its energy level.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
@repomech: I found Patlabor because I was watching a bunch of Mamoru Oshii stuff, and that came up. It definitely seemed cool enough that I should have looked more into the OVA, but for some reason I never did.

repomech

@juegosmajicos When you do get around to seeing Patlabor 2, you'll notice a tonal shift relative to the first movie (and the OVA's - and for that matter the TV show). Many of the traditional cast don't receive as much focus, knowing something about them perhaps helps one appreciate the moments they are there, but really the movie's plot stands alone. A person doesn't need to have seen any other Patlabor stuff to jump straight into the second film. It's a smart movie, very engrossing. If you enjoy Legend of the Galactic Heroes, odds are good you'll enjoy this.

repomech

I didnt enjoy escaflowne at all XD
I'm going to try and give it a re-watch one day. It's well constructed, and I respect it, but I didn't enjoy it all that much by the end. It was the first anime series my wife and I watched together when we started dating so it holds some sentimental value on that level, but we were both a little disappointed as we'd each seen and enjoyed parts of it back in the 90's, so we were expecting something for the ages.

On another note, here's some fun stuff everyone should see that is simply anime reveling in the joy of its own existence:

(Interstella 5555)

(FLCL)

and of course... R-R-R-R-Redline!

@Mike D. have you seen the Redline trailer before?

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
@Mike D. have you seen the Redline trailer before?
Oh yeah, you showed that to me before. I had gone over to Netflix and put it in my queue after I watched it. ...and then Netflix went and took it down.

[On Escaflowne, you probably won't enjoy it any more on a second viewing. You'll probably find more faults. I have with rewatches for Initial D and Attack on Titan. Different things just resonate with different people. I'm a fan of a good meandering plot, and I'm an even bigger fan of putting some character meat on the bone. There's probably plenty of people who watched Escaflowne and wondered "why the hell spend all of that time on Zongi?" But that's why I dug it.]

Here's the thing, I recall doing that ages ago and having the thing spoiled for me. I dont remember what was spoiled today though, but I'm pretty worried the same thing will happen again.
I asked 4chan though, so I'm set.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I remembered I was going to recommend this manga to @repomech and anyone else that likes extremely trippy "higher consciousness" stories.

Ultra Heaven

It's generally about the concept of an expanded consciousness, with each volume exploring the idea from a different angle. It's pretty short, only 3 volumes: first one is about drugs; second one is about an "empathy box" (similar idea as in Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?) that allows people to merge their consciousness; and the third one is about taking the empathy box to a larger scale, with a large group of people using their shared consciousness to create unique virtual worlds with their own rules and narratives.

That last one is even more interesting when you consider that it won't be much different from the inevitable VR MMOs we'll see after the consumer release of the Oculus Rift.

Check it out, it's only 3 volumes and highly interesting for what it is. For contrast, Tropical Citron is only two volumes and is only about the trippy drugs (or drugs-like magic), but it's far far less interesting, sex and nudity notwithstanding.

repomech

So...Is gundam worth watching? I am not much of a mech fan, but if the show has other things going for it I think i might like it.
Absolutely... well depending on which series/movies you are referring to as there's dozens spanning different timelines, some are really very good, some are garbage, and everything in between. If you're looking to try Gundam for the first time I recommend starting with materials in the "Universal Century" timeline - specifically the One Year War between the Earth Federation and the Principality of Zeon (this is known as the "universal century 0079" era). This is the original Gundam story and events within the main timeline, which is both the most developed section of the Gundam universe, and IMO, has the best stuff.

Gundam shows can vary in thematic focus, but, with some exception, what tends to have marked the identity of the franchise (beyond the sale of model kits for the various mechs - that's undeniably it's other defining feature) is a more serious tone than the 70's mecha shows it both evolved from and broke with. Characters die, there's a lot of character driven exploration of high concepts around war and its meaning for those participating in it and impacted by it, strategy, the ambiguity of morality in war, ideological and practical motivations and antagonisms in politics, love etc. - all to varying degrees of success.

The original Gundam series is 43 episodes long and aired from 1979-1980, before being cancelled prematurely, forcing the creators to rush the ending. For reasons of length, a rushed ending and also how dated the animation and cultural ambiance of the series will seem, it may not be the best way to start (though many fans swear by it). Instead, I'd recommend the following to give you a serious taste of, and foundation in, Gundam - all while being respectful of your time:

Mobile Suit Gundam - The Movie Trilogy

Following the cancellation of the show the story arc of the series was rebuilt and completed in a movie trilogy spanning the same events and using a lot of the original series animation (though the proportion declines steeply in favour of original better quality animation with each film). It also trimmed out some of the more silly, toy model-oriented aspects of the original series, focusing instead on events and telling a complete story. Three films is a lot shorter than 43 episodes, but you will also get less time with characters - that's the trade-off. I personally think it's the way to go though, especially if you're starting out to see if you even dig Gundam.

Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team

A 12 episode mid-90's OVA set in the One Year War that tells the story of a different cast and events happening parallel to the events of original Gundam (0079). Engaging, and the animation quality is higher.

Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket

A six episode late-80's OVA telling a smaller 'slice of war' side-story involving a child. It's set on a neutral colony towards the end of the One Year War. This is a personal favourite of mine, I just watched it again the other night for the first time in years and found it still holds up really well.

You could dive into any of those or all of those, and in any order. They all stand alone, but together offer a richer sense of the founding events of the main Gundam timeline. They'll give you a good fix of some high quality Gundam and that might be enough to satisfy your curiosity. If it turns out you really love Gundam after that and can't get enough, chronologically the natural next step (besides watching the original series) is to move onto the Zeta Gundam series (50 episodes), Gundam ZZ (known as "double zeta", it's 47 episodes) and then the movie: 'Char's Counterattack' - but one thing at a time. Alternately, after getting a taste of Gundam, you might want to explore thematically similar series like Macross or Legend of the Galactic Heroes (that's one I think you'd really enjoy - it's not a mecha anime).

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

Koenig

The Architect
I did have some gripes about the story, mostly how certain arcs dragged on and numerous character were pointlessly killed off; but nitpicking aside it is definitely one of the better anime I have watched.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
I did have some gripes about the story, mostly how certain arcs dragged on and numerous character were pointlessly killed off; but nitpicking aside it is definitely one of the better anime I have watched.
Those are all reasonable enough. Regardless, it's still a very well made Anime overall

What would your favorite Arc be?

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
Simultaneously my favorite and least favorite arc would have to be the Chimera Ants.
lol How so? :p

My personal favorite would have to be the Yorknew City Arc. I just really liked the group, the Phantom Trouple, and, personally, I found them more interesting and balanced, power-wise, than the Chimera Ants

Koenig

The Architect
The chimera ants had my favorite premise, characters, and scenario's of all the arcs, however it also was the one to kill of the most characters in pointless fashion and dragged on for way to long. The Phantom Troupe is my second favorite arc though.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
The chimera ants had my favorite premise, characters, and scenario's of all the arcs, however it also was the one to kill of the most characters in pointless fashion and dragged on for way to long. The Phantom Troupe is my second favorite arc though.
Hmm...you raise a pretty good point but I actually kinda liked that as it kinda meant that no one was really safe from being killed and genuinely made you worry if any of the main characters involved in the mission would die. Honestly, my problems comes from being it dragged out, like you said, and from the narration, which mostly explained either pointless details or stuff anyone with a properly functioning brain could figure out on their own

Koenig

The Architect
Hmm...you raise a pretty good point but I actually kinda liked that as it kinda meant that no one was really safe from being killed and genuinely made you worry if any of the main characters involved in the mission would die. Honestly, my problems comes from being it dragged out, like you said, and from the narration, which mostly explained either pointless details or stuff anyone with a properly functioning brain could figure out on their own
One major nit pick I have is that it killed off both ponzu and pokkle but did not give them an ant form despite doing that for everyone else and their mother. Likewise kite also got a new form despite the fact that he was never actually eaten. But yeah, my main complaint is mostly for how drawn out it was; this was compounded by the fact that I was marathoning the series.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
One major nit pick I have is that it killed off both ponzu and pokkle but did not give them an ant form despite doing that for everyone else and their mother. Likewise kite also got a new form despite the fact that he was never actually eaten. But yeah, my main complaint is mostly for how drawn out it was; this was compounded by the fact that I was marathoning the series.
...hmm...now that you bring it up, we never DID see an Ant form of them, but, from what I remember of Ponzu, she was eaten by another Ant, and not the Queen, so that made sense

You were marathoning the Anime? Oh God, now I get why you felt it was drawn out

Koenig

The Architect
In the past 4 days I have watch all of:

Magi: The labyrinth of magic
Magi: The kingdom of magic
Deadman Wonderland
The Devil is a part timer

Respectively I enjoyed each show as following:
-8/10
-7/10
-5/10