Official Anime/Manga Discussion Thread

repomech

resident remnant robot relic
@juegosmajicos
I've heard good things about Ping Pong. Your recommendation will move it even further up my list of new anime to check out. Currently everything on that list resides behind Space Dandy though.

I have some measure of hope I'm going to really dig this show.

Koenig

The Architect
I would consider myself an anime fan, but id be with the guy on the bottom. Anime girls need to put some cloths on! Though the same could be said for most of the guys as well... Japanese fashion does not compute with my mind.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
So my Wii U just froze.

...but while playing Netflix.

This has never happened before.

It happened to freeze while I was watching Kill la Kill.

Kill la Kill.jpg

I think my Wii U is more perverted than I am.
I would consider myself an anime fan, but id be with the guy on the bottom. Anime girls need to put some cloths on! Though the same could be said for most of the guys as well... Japanese fashion does not compute with my mind.
Some of it's cultural, the same way Bayonetta ruffles some people (in fact, after watching a lot more anime, Bayonetta's portrayal makes a lot more sense to me). Is it sexist? In some sense, of course. It's also featuring a female lead who is the strongest, smartest, and most likable character (just like Kill la Kill). It's both of those things at the same time.

Koenig

The Architect
Not technically an anime, but boy have a found a gem!

I came across a new(ish) series by the name of Wakfu. It is a french animated show based off of an MMO, and is it good! It has a very unique and creative art style and well written story to boot. While a bit childish at times (It is a PG rated show after all) it has a sense of scale and "epic-ness" that I have not seen in a non-anime outside of Avatar. it also has one of the best villains I have ever seen in an animated show.

It is by no means perfect, as at times odd animation and poor voice acting undermines its other aspects; however as a whole I absolutely recommend it to those looking for some fun.

(And no, I am not just saying this just because the villain gives me a massive Steampunk erection...)

Last edited:

EvilTw1n

So I went on a Kill la Kill bender last night, because I freaking needed some escapism. The ending delivered. The twists leading up to it...hit and miss.

I'll need to rewatch the first half of the series to see if they really left enough doubt for Satsuki to not be a complete evil fascist. But it was a good reveal, nonetheless, to see the academy basically created as a force for war.

The gratuitous fanservice was meh. It was odd, because they really toss it at you in the first four or so episodes, then they tone it down somewhat...until episodes 12 and 13. Then they peg the perv needle.

And speaking of pervs...

FFS, Trigger. WHAT THE SHIT!? I mean, could you at least give some sort of plot here for why you have a mom sexually assaulting her kids? I mean, I went along with the uniforms thinking there would be some plot to it, and you delivered. I could get past the initial rape-y vibe of Senketsu, because plot. I went along with tossing Mako in places she didn't need to be, because there was some plot relevance here and there. But Ragyo? I kept waiting for the reason here. Not for the villainy, because that's a matter of perspective, but the sheer depraved perverseness. It served nothing. It was just there. "Oh, she's feeling up her daughter. Aaaaand now she's pretty much - wait, make that totally fingering her kid."

I don't want to hear "she's evil and made of strings." Try harder.

That aside, the real twist at the end was about friendship. An anime all about spectacle and sex ended up being about your friends (and family). It was an impressive transition. Even touching. By the end, the nudity isn't even a thing anymore, really.

Aaaaaand I'm spent.

EvilTw1n

I had put that off, because I wanted to at least have something to come back to (if I don't watch the last episode, it's not really over :mmischief: ).

But I watched it last night. Good stuff, and I'm glad they closed that final plot strand.

I really wish Ryuko had used the giant mech/kamui to fight Ragyo, but it at least gave one final WTF with the scissors.

I suppose there's a little plot closure with Satsuki, too. If you squint hard enough.

Hopefully they leave well enough alone here, because they closed out virtually everything they needed to. If there's another season, they're really going to be pushing it.

EvilTw1n

Fullmetal Alchemist is on Netflix. I want to start it, but damn, 51 episodes? I like to marathon anime, and that one will take some time.

the selection on netflix seems ok now. Too much funimation dubbing for me. They had FLCL for the longest time but cut it recently, would have recommended that over anything especially if you're looking for something short. There's always TTGL and Madoka Magica though.

Hell if I know, but I do enjoy watching and reading up everyone's takeaway and analysis on it. Safe to say its some 2deep4me stuff, but I love that its so layered like that.

Didnt realize Madoka got a film sequel. Watched it twice, very good, just had to take a while to understand all that what the fuck towards the end. What the fuck

Currently watching Aldnoah.Zero, and Fafner. Both shows are great and recommended.
Inaho a shit, cant get past his lame.
I wonder, have any of ya given Tiger and Bunny a shot? It's pretty enjoyable overall. Give it a look and see if it tickles your fancy

Dunno how I feel about that CGI, but I'll give it a shot.

EvilTw1n

http://thebests.kotaku.com/the-best-anime-on-netflix-1681867635

Agree? Disagree?
Be careful, Full metal alchemist is one of the best "Just one more episode..." shows I have ever encountered.
I worry that if I start watching it, I'm not gonna get anything done for a month.
Well then I hope you watch it when you get the time :)
Oh, I will. My anime backlog is now in worse shape than my gaming backlog. There's just too much. And I'm always way behind what the current "it" anime is.

What? Inaho's the best. He's not crying or whining like every other mecha pilot, and can take on fucking super robots in a normal robot.

Have you even watched the show? lol.
I'm gonna stomp right over these eggshells (ha, there, my egg joke)
He doesnt cry or whine, sure, but he doesnt do anything at all that resembles a personality. He's a walking concept, a walking deus ex machina. As far as the anime shows, there is no explanation or motivation revealed to help me understand why he's so good.
And the fact that he can take down these Kataphrakts with outdated mechs becomes quickly contrived. The first plan was cool but then every subsequent fight is just full of bullshit. I got stuck in a thought train wondering why he's the only one who can do this. The entire military becomes braindead.
Also the CG is just bleh.
Music is pretty boss though.

http://thebests.kotaku.com/the-best-anime-on-netflix-1681867635

Agree? Disagree?

I worry that if I start watching it, I'm not gonna get anything done for a month.

Oh, I will. My anime backlog is now in worse shape than my gaming backlog. There's just too much. And I'm always way behind what the current "it" anime is.
havent seen it myself, kinda hard to see anything topping some of the classic and contemporary stuff they already got there.
Oh, Kotaku recommended it? Its junk!

j/k, given Koenig's thoughts, it seems like it'll be my kinda thing.

Last edited:

repomech

I've got Knights of Sidonia on my radar, but right now ms mech and I are three episodes into Space Dandy and quite enjoying it. As far as sci-fi comedies go, it's more Space Quest than Hitchhikers Guide, but it's a blast.

I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys the high-octane nonsense of FLCL, Kill la Kill, or Redline - or who is a general fan of Shinichiro Watanabe's work, Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo in particular. In fact in many ways that's what this is, it's Cowboy Bebop written as if Spike were infused with the unfettered id of Champloo's Mugen but it's a comedic rampage as there's no supporting characters who can bring counter balance or restraint to Dandy's actions and the universe is whackier.

Not a lot of depth, but hella entertaining.

Hey guys, I LOVE Naruto among other series and I decided to make a channel of my own (i am just starting out) to talk and review anime episodes, I would really appreciate if some of you guys take the time to check it out, thank you :)

Here is my your lie in april review: (i also have naruto and parasyte for now)

Some of you might already know me, I want to be able to talk and discuss anime on my channel, but I am thinking of also possibly talking about games. Which is why I called it AnimeGames&More.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Hey guys, I LOVE Naruto among other series and I decided to make a channel of my own (i am just starting out) to talk and review anime episodes, I would really appreciate if some of you guys take the time to check it out, thank you :)

Here is my your lie in april review: (i also have naruto and parasyte for now)

Some of you might already know me, I want to be able to talk and discuss anime on my channel, but I am thinking of also possibly talking about games. Which is why I called it AnimeGames&More.
You can make your own channel here in the "TNE Media" section of the forums if you like, and if your gonna have videos and whatnot. Just a thought.

Cyan

I'm gonna stomp right over these eggshells (ha, there, my egg joke)
He doesnt cry or whine, sure, but he doesnt do anything at all that resembles a personality. He's a walking concept, a walking deus ex machina. As far as the anime shows, there is no explanation or motivation revealed to help me understand why he's so good.
And the fact that he can take down these Kataphrakts with outdated mechs becomes quickly contrived. The first plan was cool but then every subsequent fight is just full of bullshit. I got stuck in a thought train wondering why he's the only one who can do this. The entire military becomes braindead.
Also the CG is just bleh.
Music is pretty boss though.
Me and my bf think it's cause Inaho is autistic, and if you look at him like that it all fits. He has problems with social cues, talking to others, and is extremely good at calculating stuff without having the years, or training to do so. He's also extremely logical, and just too damn good at piloting Kataphrakts without much training. The only think they haven't done is come out and say he's autistic.

The rest of the military being retarded, well I'll give you that one, but they aren't exactly the best of the best anymore. They're kinda like the only ones who are still alive.

The CG is great. I'm actually curious about what you're comparing Aldnoah.Zero's CG to.

Also, yes. The music is fantastic.

Ugh, I dont like doing binges in cold weather but after this I think I'm unstuck now and can watch non-trash western shows now. Busted through 3 series recently, all Light Novel adaptations of varying quality.
Started off with Katanagatari, 12 episodes about 50min each. Fucking fantastic show. Artstyle is cool and unique, animation is great, and the OST is goddamn good. The story is just great, it unfolds nicely with a few well done twists and fuck the last episode is pretty much perfect. Most of the characters are really nicely fleshed out and developed, even the plot-devicey ones. Mmm, the development and relationship building is too good holy shit. Only things that bugged me were a very few comedy bits that fell flat for me, but humor and tonal shifts were mostly really well done. You kinda have to be a little prepped for this one though, shitload of talking/dialogue/exposition in this one. I didnt really notice it upon first viewing since it was all engaging and entertaining, nicely paced with action, but rewatching some of my favorite episodes and yeah, its there.
Yeah, Fantastic/10, put on your backlog.
Dripped my tattered soul into Kyoukai No Kanata, 12 episode series, next. Cool world, cool action, great animation, good story. Characters and relationships were p. good, though I guess a bit typical. Ending was a little off to me though, was good but not entirely satisfying for me. Maybe some of it will be expanded in the films. Moeblob factor was pretty relaxed in this one, though still there. Overall great/10, never a dull moment, it has some damn killer moments, totally memorable.
Oh right, speaking of moeblob, decided to watch Hitsugi no Chaika next just to test how much moeshit I could withstand. With the levels probably reaching if not exceeding 11, apparently a lot. Its got 2 seasons in it. First season is actually, umm, enjoyable. Has an ok pace, stilted a bit due to instances of mediocre writing. Does a good job utilizing the sorta generic fantasy archetypes so that they arent plain. Some pretty great humor, fight scenes and character interactions. Yeah, overall entertaining I guess, makes me sick. Thankfully the second season ruined any good the first one did. Holy shit, this was funny to watch. While throughout the build-up and intrigue was just palpable enough to keep me going, it was peppered with some dumb side characters, side stories. The final few episodes ruined any motivation anyone had grown in every single previous episode. That final episode was just trash, epilogue was trash. Like everything made little sense, convenience levels went uber-high, what wasted potential.
moeshit/10, avoid at all costs.

Last edited:

Koenig

The Architect
Just gotta ask- has anyone else watched Trigun? I mentioned this a few days ago in the general chat, but I am thinking of watching the show again and was wondering if anyone else would care to watch the show as well.

Mostly, I am looking at you @mattavelle1

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Just gotta ask- has anyone else watched Trigun? I mentioned this a few days ago in the general chat, but I am thinking of watching the show again and was wondering if anyone else would care to watch the show as well.

Mostly, I am looking at you @mattavelle1
No I haven't but don't be offended. I rarely watch TV of any kind.

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
Looks like Nisekoi's actual romance arc is finally progressing because the plot decided that it should actually wake up and exist.

Read through the available chapters of Liar x Liar. It's not bad, but I really don't think it needed to be even remotely this long.

Think I might re-read Midnight Secretary. Pretty good josei series.

grimabepraised

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
What is Me!Me!Me! even about?
I know this is old as hell but I just recently saw it so I figure I might as well give my thoughts on it. Like what most people are thinking, it's likely to criticize the hikikomori life-style, think of socially withdrawn antisocial Otakus, and how their life-style more or less consumed them

EvilTw1n

The most excellent @repomech sent me Redline awhile back, and I finally got a chance to sit down and watch it.

One of the more mind-bendingly good pieces of animation you'll ever see. The detail is just insane. I always like watching with subs, but I have to admit that dubs is the right way to watch this one. You'll miss too much if you're reading, and you don't want to miss anything. There aren't enough proper adjectives for the visuals. Style for days and days. They say there are 100,000 pieces of hand-drawn art in it, and I believe 'em. Staggering.

The only caveat is the (lack of) plot. I get what they were going for, I applaud them for the steez, and I'm gonna watch this and see something new every single time...but even a little narrative weight would have made this some definitive, legendary stuff, not only in the "animation for the sake of animation"-category.

But that's a small complaint when it looks this good.

Last edited:

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I agree that having a real plot would have made Redline better, but I think the lack of plot makes more sense if you've watched a lot of anime, as it's mostly parodying some of the medium's common tropes, like the endless one-upping between the protagonists and the antagonists, the secret weapon, the super-secret biological weapon that goes berserk, the scientist/general who wants to achieve maximum power (who is also an ultra-secret biological weapon that goes berserk), the antagonist with multiple final forms, the hyper-cool protagonist, and so on.

I think of it the same way I think of Pacific Rim, as being more about being cool than about being good. Both of them are among my favorite recent movies.

And I think Nintendo is dumb to not see that and immediately say, "let's start working on a new F-Zero right fucking now."

Koenig

The Architect
@repomech I started watching Space Dandy a few days back. It's episodes are a bit of a hit and miss for me, but I am enjoying them for the most part. It is heavily reminding me of Sgt Frog. (Especially considering it practically shares the exact same character in the form of the narrator)

repomech

@EvilTw1n

I'm so glad to hear you dug it. It's definitely in that category of animation for it's own sake but oh do they ever revel in it. As @juegosmajicos notes, it's more satire than story - but I felt there was just enough to hold it all together into some kind of form.

@Koenig

Speaking of satire over story - welcome to Space Dandy! How far in are you? We're almost finished the series, and I can say right now that if you're looking for an over-arching story to form, or hell, even character development - you aren't going to find it here. I mean seriously, we're talking about a show where the protagonists die at the end of the first episode, only to be back alive the next episode without explanation. And that isn't even a spoiler (anymore than "You killed Kenny!"), they're just setting the tone for the series! What you are in for - if you haven't gathered already - is a bizarre, satirical, episodic romp through a half century or so of popular science fiction culture (branching into other streams of fandom culture and entertainment reference at times) delivered through the lens of the animators' experimental college art classes... oh and Boobies. A modern Project A-Ko if you will (and I wonder if this is more likely to appeal to a certain age of anime audience?). It's all pulled off with such energy, visual variety and fun-loving abandon that we've been enjoying the hell out of watching Dandy comb the galaxy like his pompadour. This one's going on the blu-ray shelf.

Last edited:

Koenig

The Architect
Once again, the episodes are a hit and miss. I like the setting and style of Space Dandy more than Sgt.Frog, but I much preferred Sgt.Frog's continuity and writing as it was (slightly) more consistent. That said, I keep finding similarity between the two at every turn. If you enjoyed space dandy I would hazard that you might also like Sgt.Frog, at least depending on what you are looking for out of the show.

EvilTw1n

I agree that having a real plot would have made Redline better, but I think the lack of plot makes more sense if you've watched a lot of anime, as it's mostly parodying some of the medium's common tropes, like the endless one-upping between the protagonists and the antagonists, the secret weapon, the super-secret biological weapon that goes berserk, the scientist/general who wants to achieve maximum power (who is also an ultra-secret biological weapon that goes berserk), the antagonist with multiple final forms, the hyper-cool protagonist, and so on.

I think of it the same way I think of Pacific Rim, as being more about being cool than about being good. Both of them are among my favorite recent movies.

And I think Nintendo is dumb to not see that and immediately say, "let's start working on a new F-Zero right fucking now."
I'm so glad to hear you dug it. It's definitely in that category of animation for it's own sake but oh do they ever revel in it. As @juegosmajicos notes, it's more satire than story - but I felt there was just enough to hold it all together into some kind of form.
There was definitely a self-awareness to the premise and I caught myself laughing in quite a few spots. It definitely wins the anime award for "most lovingly drawn pompadour" (and bonus, "most lovingly drawn nipples"). But it certainly all held together. As crazy and ridiculous as it is, it works on its own. You have to buy into the world and go with it - with virtually nothing to hang the absurdity on - but it works. But that's where the lone missed opportunity is; the animators had this amazing world, but they don't really do anything with it. Stuff just happens. It looks cool, but the reason something really ridiculously cool (maybe something like Pulp Fiction) stays cool is if it has some sort of perverse logic to it (whereas something like Only God Forgives doesn't stand up; it looks cool, but shit just happens, and Refn has nothing to really say).

I do wanna re-watch with subs, though. With as much attention as they gave the sound design, I want to hear the original voice actors. There's some sort of layer an anime gets in the original language, and I think it may make this one even better.

...and yeah, that's an excuse to make out more of the extreme detail. Because holy screaming circumcised Jesus is there a lot to see.

Last edited:

EvilTw1n

So I watched the first two episodes of Knights of Sidonia last night. Thus far, seems like it's Attack on Titan in space with mechs (which may or may not be your jam). Terribad subs early on, lazy info dump in the first episode. But there's some real promise to the plot and world building (and a few characters, too).

But...it's all CG. It's bracing to go from Redline to this. The action scenes are OK, even great in spots, but in between?

Sometimes the shading is fantastic; sometimes the shading creates a mess of meh (edit: example above may not be great because I think they're supposed to be triplets, but there really are times when you'll be telling characters apart by hair styles). There's some sort of janky framerate that is probably supposed to ape hand drawn, but it just looks bad.

I probably couldn't have gone from a prettier anime to one that is more bleh for its human characters. At least the mechs look good, though.

Last edited:

Ex-Actarus

There was definitely a self-awareness to the premise and I caught myself laughing in quite a few spots. It definitely wins the anime award for "most lovingly drawn pompadour" (and bonus, "most lovingly drawn nipples"). But it certainly all held together. As crazy and ridiculous as it is, it works on its own. You have to buy into the world and go with it - with virtually nothing to hang the absurdity on - but it works. But that's where the lone missed opportunity is; the animators had this amazing world, but they don't really do anything with it. Stuff just happens. It looks cool, but the reason something really ridiculously cool (maybe something like Pulp Fiction) stays cool is if it has some sort of perverse logic to it (whereas something like Only God Forgives doesn't stand up; it looks cool, but shit just happens, and Refn has nothing to really say).

I do wanna re-watch with subs, though. With as much attention as they gave the sound design, I want to hear the original voice actors. There's some sort of layer an anime gets in the original language, and I think it may make this one even better.

...and yeah, that's an excuse to make out more of the extreme detail. Because holy screaming circumcised Jesus is there a lot to see.

I saw Redline last year I think ( probably on Netflix, not sure ). To this day, I don't know how to feel about it... That's probably one of the closet thing to a VR movie I'v seen. I mean by that it's SO MUCH "In your face", you're completely thrown into that world without understanding what s going on.

From what I remember, the hero ( yep the Elvis x James Dean guy ) seemed COMPLETELY stranger to the events around the Race. That was very weird. That's why I could not really feel anything for the world.

It's FAST, so fast !!! Gruesome. Too colorful ! F-Zero x Fatalities ! LOUD ! Weird ! Incredibly Original. I don't know man...

Probably one of the weirdest / strangest anime I've EVER seen.

If I had to compare it to a movie, it would be Brazil. Of course it's not as deep from a script prospective, but it's that kind of "What the F... just happened, what the hell... Who ? Why ?What" kind of experience.

Man, not sure I can double dip...

EvilTw1n

I saw Redline last year I think ( probably on Netflix, not sure ). To this day, I don't know how to feel about it... That's probably one of the closet thing to a VR movie I'v seen. I mean by that it's SO MUCH "In your face", you're completely thrown into that world without understanding what s going on.

From what I remember, the hero ( yep the Elvis x James Dean guy ) seemed COMPLETELY stranger to the events around the Race. That was very weird. That's why I could not really feel anything for the world.

It's FAST, so fast !!! Gruesome. Too colorful ! F-Zero x Fatalities ! LOUD ! Weird ! Incredibly Original. I don't know man...

Probably one of the weirdest / strangest anime I've EVER seen.

If I had to compare it to a movie, it would be Brazil. Of course it's not as deep from a script prospective, but it's that kind of "What the F... just happened, what the hell... Who ? Why ?What" kind of experience.

Man, not sure I can double dip...
It's worth the double dip for the incredibly-drawn visuals (and nipples, natch).

JP (pompadour man) isn't a complete stranger to the race events. He and Frisbee (the mechanic with only two arms) got in trouble with the mob (I forget if it was Frisbee getting in bed with organized crime to buy a motor originally, but I think that's it), and kinda/sorta (not totally clear if JP even knows) have been fixing races since to keep bail and keep the mob off their backs. Join big race, get the odds up for JP, then have him lose and pocket cash on the back end. JP falls for one of the other drivers (who he met briefly as a kid, and has probably loved the same girl all along). The races seem to attract the attention of warring factions (the cyborgs and the magic girls), probably because the races are lucrative/popular.

End plot. Because you want more of this.